1Password

4.7 (1,581)
Password manager for businesses and families

(1,581)

1581 Software options

Andrew K.

Great Password Vault w/ Extensive Features

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Overall, 1Password has proven to be a very effective and reliable tool for my business needs. Its universal application amongst our team has substantially upgraded our internal security protocols, and its user friendly admin panel through the web browser makes password management relatively simple. I would highly recommend this product for anyone searching for a password management tool.

Pros

This particular password application is available for PC, Mac, and mobile, and I have been using it for all three types of devices. It has structured templates that make it easy to add, delete, or edit existing logins or banking information. Some of it's more beneficial advanced features include the Watchtower, which identifies weak, duplicate, and expiring password, the Password Generator, which allows you to easily create new passwords, and an advances search which can help you identify where specific passwords or usernames are located.

Cons

While the application is conveniently available via web browser, desktop, and mobile application, each format operates distinctly different. The mobile version, for example, has substantially limited features when compare to the browser and desktop app versions. In addition, organizations or teams can only be managed through the web browser version, which means you need an actually computer to add/delete users or edit permissions.

Jeremy brand Y.

Does what it's supposed to, but transition between licensing formats is a headache for...

Reviewed on 05/06/2018

Upgraded security and privacy

Pros

1Password is a solid password manager that's available pretty much everywhere. It's been my manager of choice for quite a while after my last job covered licenses for the whole company. In addition to passwords, it also manages identities and payment methods, which makes filling forms out a breeze.

Since leaving that job, I went ahead and sprung for the individual license. Things have been fine up until recently, with their push to 1Password 7. They are clearly trying to move lifetime licensees to a monthly subscription, and it's breaking the software for me in critical ways.

Cons

Despite having a license, the Chrome extension still only runs in "read-only mode" i.e. completed nerfed password tool. Recent updates has made this significantly worse than other password managers on the market. I would have given up long ago had I not already paid for it.

Here's an example: Want to create a 1Password account on desktop to sync and save passwords? First sign in on web! Oh, you'll need an account to sign in. Don't have an account? View this FAQ. The FAQ says, enter your secret key. Oh, the Mac version doesn't have a secret key? Looks like you have the wrong version! You need the membership, which costs a monthly fee. And, surprise, now your extension is in read only mode, hope you don't mind we took that away.

I don't know if it's their weird decision to fork the Mac app store version from 1Password 6/7 (a move done to extract more money from monthly subscriptions, I'm sure), how they are handling the vault syncing with external services or WHAT, but this once solid tool is growing stale, fast.

Response from 1Password

Hi Jeremy Brand,

Thank you for reviewing 1Password!

I am sorry about the trouble with the Chrome extension. Please try to remove it and then install it using this link: https://1password.com/browsers

Let me know if that fixes the problem with the extension for you.

Thanks!

Best regards, Roustem
Founder of 1Password
Toronto, Canada

Stephen m B.

It Should Be Installed By Default

Reviewed on 13/05/2021

Overall, this is a kick-ass product! You pay for it though so you expect that level of premium upgrades and security. At $36/yr it's a reasonable expense at about $0.75/week to keep all your data in one place, secured. Again, with all of the ways, they allow you to access your information they really provide the most flexibility possible while keeping your information safe.

Pros

I'm still waiting for the horrible headline - "1Password Hacked". Thankfully, that day hasn't come and hopefully never will. The software is easy to use in either browser extension or full-application mode. I was able to make all of my passwords random 8-16 characters and different for every service I use. I feel much more secure than I did just a few months ago. It's easy to access across many devices once authorized. I have it on my computers, phone, and even watch. It not only allows passwords but some payment information, so that pesky credit card number you can't remember is always at hand.

Cons

Sometimes, I think it has to do with the site's form submission, you are not prompted to save the password you just entered or created. In that case, if it was generated with 1P, you can pretty easily find it in your password list and add the site domain and username. In other cases, where you created the password, 1P does not know it and you do need to manually add it yourself. These scenarios are maybe every 1-in-10 sites you create an account on.

Reasons for Choosing 1Password

I tried LastPass for a little while. It seemed a little more confusing to me. I think there were more granular options, maybe, especially for groups, but I just found it a little more cumbersome to use.

Reasons for Switching to 1Password

I personally prefer the look, feel, and layout of 1Password. I have recommended both LastPass and 1Password to friends and family depending on their preferences - as long as their data is safe.

Why would you use anything else?

Reviewed on 28/11/2021

Overall our experience has been great. Their support, via both email and Twitter, is top-notch. The UI is modern feeling and easy to navigate. The ability to share those required logins within our company is the most important part of this software, and it's the part that 1Password exceeds at.

Pros

The features and modern UI look of 1Password made this an easy choice. Vault management is a breeze, and setting up groups for each department with those vaults is easy. The built-in QR code scanner to set up MFA is a feature that is invaluable as it ensures an easy way for our employees to use this and make sure their accounts can be as safe as possible.

Cons

There is only one thing that is currently negative for us, and that is that there is no G Workspace integration. There is a SCIM bridge to help bridge between different directories, there is support for MS Active Directory, but there is not get any firm plans for G Workspace integration. While this is currently not deal-breaking, as we grow larger we may need to look at alternatives if this doesn't get on the roadmap.

Reasons for Choosing 1Password

Lastpass felt dated and it didn't feel like the updates they were making were useful to us or bringing the product up to a modern feel. 1Password was less buggy, has wider support across iOS apps and Web and just felt like a better product to use

Ma favourite password manager

Reviewed on 10/05/2021

I LOVE 1Password, and use it everyday, for both my personal and my team (120 ppl).
One other team feature I love is that with a business account every member get a free personal licence for their families. It encourages them to bring good password management habits to their homes, which is great!

Pros

First, everyone should use a password manager! It must be promoted to anyone using the internet at all.
Then, among the few serious choices available, it comes down to personal preference, usability, a few functionalities that may differ.
I personally selected 1Password for my team because of:
- ease of use (great UI, good extensions with Chrome etc., the Mac app is great too)
- user-friendly dashboard that makes the onboarding easy for new users. it was a key criteria for a team where you can met some pushback at first
- some nice features like the overview of risky passwords, potential leaks, etc.

Cons

Some team management features could be added, like a better overview of logs.
It would be great also to have a way to share logins 1-to-1 with another team member. I must be a design decision, but the alternative is creating a new vault shared with the co-worker, but you end up with hundreds of vaults which isn't ideal.

Dashlane for Business and LastPass
Nadia P.
  • Industry: Photography

Best way to ensure strong, secure passwords across the board

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

Very positive experience with 1Password in all the time I've used it. It's allowed me to really know and feel that my accounts are as safe as they can be, and much safer than the average person's. I like the idea of, at the very least, making myself a very difficult and undesirable target for account hacking because of this, and at most, making someone really have to work for it if they ever wanted to try to get into one of my accounts.

Pros

Before 1Password, I *know* that my accounts weren't nearly as safe. Maybe not safe at all. The fact is, there are SO many places that I have log-ins, and there is no way for me to remember unique, complicated passwords for the dozens and dozens of places I need them. The safest, most secure way to handle passwords is to have unique ones for every site (so if one site gets compromised, you don't inadvertently compromise every other site that you use that same password for). 1Password makes it actually possible for me to have strong passwords across the board in a way that I would NEVER be able to without this program.

Cons

It took me a while to figure out just how to properly use 1Password on the cloud, so that my passwords synced across devices. For a while, I had a situation where I'd have added a password to the app while using it on my phone and the password wouldn't sync to the app on my computer, for example. I did figure this out and ever since, things run smoothly. But it wasn't super intuitive. Also, for better or worse, I don't actually know most of the passwords that I have on all the sites I have log-ins *nervous laugh*. This is great because it means all my passwords are complicated and secure...but also potentially not great if I'm ever in a situation where I don't have access to 1Password, but need to get into an account. This hasn't happened yet (because I always have my phone with the 1Password app on it on me)...but I could definitely see this happening someday. Nothing a quick password reset probably wouldn't fix, but ugh.

David H.
  • Industry: Publishing

1Password manages passwords and becomes a dashboard for sites

Reviewed on 26/11/2020

Very efficient and easy to use. Saves an enormous about of time. Works well across platforms. Having a web interface with all sites you use regularly has a lot of value in addition to the password management.

Pros

1Password is very easy to use with both Windows and Android. You can also login in from the web and see a dashboard overview of all the web sites that you use and have passwords for. Passwords are easy to pop in and 1Password uses biometric login on Android phone which is quite handy.

Cons

Some apps are beginning to want to use biometric logins of their own which can be irritating since I prefer to limit this to 1Password. On occasion with the Android app, I need to enter 1Paaword app and copy a password and then go back to app where I need it (a few apps won't allow autofill.

Keeper Business, Dashlane for Business and LastPass

Reasons for Choosing 1Password

1Password interface send cleaner and I found lastpass a bit more cumbersome to use.

Reasons for Switching to 1Password

Cleaner interface across platforms.
Carlos C.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Convenience and security everywhere you go.

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

I often work on multiple stations. From my desktop computer; laptop; phone and tablet. Each day I have to access passwords for websites or when installing software on different computers.
What I like about OnePassword is that it keeps my access information in one place and organized. I can sync all my passwords with multiple devices and unlock with a master password. It also works with face detection in compatible devices.
I can also organize and save the license information for my software for backup purposes and even credit card information.
This is and essential tool when managing multiple sites and when I'm away from my main computer. It is hard to renumber multiple passwords and it's not recommended to always use the same password for every service and site. With OnePassword I only have to remember the master password and get access to my database. It can also be synced with Dropbox making it easy to update my list of passwords.
No more writing usernames and password on a piece of paper and modifying the list every time there is a change of information.

Pros

*Easy to use.
*Computer and Mobile App support.
*Extensions to use with most browsers
*Access saved passwords from anywhere
*Storage software keys and passwords
*Save credit card information for (Autofill)
*Minimal graphic user interface
*Compatible with multiple operative systems and browsers
*Free trial
*Low license fee with options to upgrade at discounted rates
*Master password can be also set as face detection.

Cons

*When a new major update is released you will need to also manually update your extension in your browsers and in some cases the configuration of the database.
*Integration with Dropbox is not always ideal, but it's a good option to keep a backup in the cloud.
*There is currently no two factor authentication
*Constant updates to keep track of (specially major updates)

Bhavik J.

A Great Password Management Solution for Organisation of any size.

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

My overall experience with 1Password has been very satisfying. The feature set is thorough for personal as well as business use. Also, the teams and business plans are very well priced and involves features like custom roles and groups to organise. Also, it includes an activity tracker which tracks user vault activities that help is better security and privacy.

Pros

The thing I liked the most about 1Password is its availability on most of the popular platforms. It is available on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and even on Linux. That helps a lot when you have an Organisation with different devices. Also, the user interface is very minimal and straightforward and easy to use. It also offers high end security solutions like 2 factor authentication and many others.

Cons

It is one those software where there aren't many things going against it. The only downside to this great app is the unavailability of a free plan. Also, options for sharing is not available in personal plans.

Dashlane for Business and LastPass

Reasons for Switching to 1Password

The feature set and security policies of 1Password were the main motivation behind choosing 1Password over Lastpass and Dashlane. Also, the team pricing of 1Password was very handy.
Tracy C.

A must have tool for me.

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

I've been very pleased. They continue to innovate and I rely on their product every day. Now that I've upgraded to the latest Mac OS and I have the family version I can easily keep all of my info up to date easily on all of my devices and share logins with my family when needed. I'm VERY happy.

Pros

I started using this tool over 10 years ago. At the time I was making a transition from Windows to the Mac. I had already been using a password manager for a long time and 1Password seemed to be the best option for the Mac. Over the years I continued to use the standalone plugin on my single computer. I have recently transitioned to the option that keeps all my devices synced and I can't imagine ever going back.

Cons

There were times when I had to get various versions to remain compatible with certain OS changes. Some of the newer versions of the software were not running on older Mac OS versions. The support team was helpful in getting it sorted out.

Skyler Y.

5/5, recommend to everyone I meet, especially clients.

Reviewed on 02/06/2021

I have the business plan that includes a family plan on discount; all employees and family use it. I recommend it to all of my clients as well, as the number one security measure they can/should take.

Pros

1Password has a nice looking and easy to understand interface. It works seamlessly on my computer and mobile phone, really wherever I set it up. Ease of use and top-tier security were the two metrics I was looking for, and this aces both. Much better than LastPass, imho.

Cons

It's not unique to 1Password, but learning to use a password manager can have quite a learning curve no matter who you use. This has been a struggle for my parents, for example. Having used other password managers though, it's hard for me to find fault with this one. It's pretty smooth.

An invaluable password tool

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

I have had an excellent experience with 1Password. I use the mobile version, the desktop version, and the browser version. It has never been easier to keep track of my passwords and ensure that they are unique and complex.

Pros

This password tool easily allows for switching to complex, random, and unique passwords from the traditional approach of using the same easy-to-remember password everywhere. It also makes it simple to retrieve and populate password fields using browser extensions and sharing entire password libraries with other users is a breeze. It will also warn you when a password has been reused on other sites and when it has been compromised and appears on the web in rainbow tables for use by hackers.

Cons

I'm not a big fan of subscription-based products. Why can't I just purchase the software once and stick with that version until I decide it's time to upgrade? That is the way 1Password used to work, but now they've gone to a subscription model, along with everyone else.

Jonathan L.

The Hardware-Software Password Solution

Reviewed on 11/07/2019

Despite their progress toward cloud-based services, we still love 1Password. It's easy to separate personal from business passwords (using vaults) and we're satisfied with the security-it implements TouchID for macOS and iOS. We rest soundly knowing our data is securely encrypted and with the apps we can access our data even without an internet connection (which happens often for us as we travel and work in rural countries).

Pros

My [our] favorite thing about 1Password is that it's hardware-based (as opposed to cloud-only). In our firm, we deal with lots of client passwords that we prefer to have securely handled on our own encrypted servers. 1Password has allowed us to do this and the app is easy to use, works on desktop and mobile, and is frequently updated.

Cons

We least enjoy the fact that 1Password's moving slowly toward being cloud-based. The most recent update of the browser extension now requires a log-in to function. Secondly, through the app experience, we're being asked to upgrade or sign-up for an online service. We've updated more slowly now as a result so we can stay cloud-free for privacy concerns.

Rob H.
  • Industry: Design

So good you'd recommend it to your mom!

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

I've been a web developer for 13 years. The insane number of different websites, tools, software licenses, and resources that I have in 1Password would make even the most powerful spreadsheet software blush. 1Password removes all need to index and maintain these items login items. Visit the website, click the icon and away we go.

Pros

Integration. The level to which 1Password has become part of my personal, family and work is a little scary. I keep any and all personal information in there. Passwords, health records, credit cards, private notes. The list could go on.

Cons

The two versions 1Password and 1Password X threw me a little when I bought a new Microsoft Surface and loaded 1Password on it. I started with X before realizing that I wanted to use v7 with the browser plugin. Other than that though the software pays for itself even time I have to log in somewhere.

Reasons for Switching to 1Password

Long personal experience with the software prior to using it within a professional setting.
Dewey B.
  • Industry: Media Production

A MUST HAVE APP

Reviewed on 29/08/2019

We use 1Password to store passwords for our Adobe, Microsoft, Vimeo and other shared accounts that are accessed by our employees.

Pros

1Password is super simple and secure, allowing our company to store (and internally share) the passwords to our various media and software accounts. The two factor authentication is also great, giving us even more peace of mind when accessing sensitive data. It is also fairly priced. We have tried a few different password storage options and this by far is our favorite!

Cons

I wish that 1Password had some kind of live chat/phone support, as we've run into small issues from time-to-time that took a bit longer to solve than we would've liked. Speaking to a rep over the phone would have made the process much simpler to solve. Otherwise, we love this service!

• Industry: Dairy

The best app out there for password management

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

They're the best in the game. I've been a happy customer for about 10 years or something like that. Their support team is friendly and humorous.

Pros

They are on EVERY platform, and 1Password never gets in the way of my workflow. They were the first ones to do it and they are the best ones.

Cons

Minor things with their password generation experience on mobile specifically.

1Password is better

Dashlane for Business
Rodrigo G.
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

The best password handling solution for all your devices: simple, secure and well integrated

Reviewed on 02/08/2018

Seamless integration in all my devices, complete control of the information stored, transparent password handling. It is a very recommended software for anyone, especially power users such as businesses.

Pros

The first thing you need in this kind of software is a company you can trust and apps that feel secure : 1Password is basically that. It has an intuitive interface that anyone can use, it is beautiful and well integrated, and by far surpasses the "keychain access" and other built in apps by giving you control of what it stores and synchronizes, and how. I knew of this software because it was featured in one of Apple keynotes some years ago, and you know that when Apple promotes a software (especially one related to security of data) this means business.

Cons

I bought 1password for iPhone and iPad with the old pricing model: buy once and use it forever (I think it was an in-app purchase). I never bought the Mac version because I thought of it as being expensive and the integrated environment for Safari in MacOS didn't justify the price, as I always have my phone with me.
Now that the pricing scheme has changed it makes much more sense to have the Desktop version as well, especially if you are a family or a business. There are pros and cons to the pricing scheme but for some power users (again business and families) it's worth the money.

David N.

Best password manager

Reviewed on 23/05/2021

It is great. I think it is really good value for money. Especially when compared to other password managers that offers free plans (last pass for example).

Pros

- It is available on all my devices (macbook, iphone, ipad).
- 2fa is really easy to setup and manage.
- My password are always different on every site I login on. Also,

Cons

When I reboot my phone (when doing iOS update for example). It asks me for my password instead of just requiring faceID, when i want to quickly fill out login form. In order to turn the faceID on, I have to enter the password in the app (entering the password when doing quick autofill won't turn faceID on). I understand this is probably required because of security, but it is super annoying, especially when in public...

Guillermo S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Take control of your companies passwords

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

I tend to change the most shared passwords somewhat often to force people to the 1password copy password feature so they don't move it around.
Also when a team member leaves the company i have precise knowledge of the service she has access to and i can change those passwords.

Pros

The integration on my daily flow is just great. The iPhone app works in most of the apps, non-native apps tend to have problems. And in almost all the websites. Also the browser extensions are great. This product has polished the main flows a lot and it can noticed.
On our company is vital to provide access to services so people are autonomous but reducing the risk of them taking the password to another service or when they leave the company.

Cons

You don't get to share passwords between vaults. This causes me a lot of extra work because i have vaults for my company's team and in many cases they have access to the same passwords. I have to keep multiple copies of the password which is a huge pain when i need to change them.
Also the chrome integration broke somehow and i it forced me to switch to Firefox, not so bad because FF is a great browser but i think 1password changes a little too much the way the integration works and now is broken.
That's it

Yassine A.

The best password management tool

Reviewed on 08/06/2021

I'm very satisfied with 1password because it's making my all accounts secure and almost impossible to hack without any hassle on my end, I don’t even know the password to my Twitter account and I know that it's more secure that way and whenever I signup for a new account the tool automatically generates a unique and strong password for me and automatically saves it in a secured way, I also like using the secure notes inside 1password for all my upcoming projects like an idea for a domain name that I haven’t registered yet for example.

Pros

1password really lives up to its marketing promises, I only remember one password now and it's for 1password because thanks to this awesome software I don’t have to remember long passwords for all my accounts because it takes cares of all of them and whenever I have to type a password to login to one of my accounts it automatically fills it for me which is awesome. The software is available on all platforms so I get to access my passwords on all my devices.

Cons

if they can lower the price for the business plan to allow more small businesses to afford it that would be great because I believe that even small corporations should offer this awesome tool to all their employees to increase their security.

• Industry: Building Materials

1Password has great functionality

Reviewed on 26/02/2021

At the same time, 1Password is perfect for both corporate customers and individual users.

Pros

1Password is very secure, I can trust all my passwords to it without fear because they use 256-bit AES encryption and do not share my data with third parties. The program offers management of my data, dividing it into several storages. You can grant access to the storage to another user, 1Password generates an access password that is tied to the email address of another user who has gained access.

Cons

In the Windows version of 1Password, many of Watchtower's features that report weak passwords and other vulnerabilities are disabled by default, so you'll need to manually enable them.

Saves me every time I forget!

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

I love using 1Password because it feels more secure than my previous password storing options and it's quick, simple and easy to use when I need to get a password for something. I am not getting locked out of things as much and I'm finding a way to stay organized, which I love!

Pros

Even though I try to keep my password pretty similar each time I do it, it's sometimes not worth it to guess your passwords on certain sites because you can get locked out. What I like about 1Password is that it's super easy and secure to get in and look up your password for certain software or sites. They have bubbles over the password so that it's not revealed right away and locks you out of the app after 15 minutes. I think it's definitely worth it to have an app like this and I haven't found a better one that 1Password.

Cons

There's honestly not a lot I don't like about 1Password, but the only thing I can really think of is that I'm often wondering how secure it really is. I'm honestly not sure how much it is protected or what would happen if I lost my "master" password. There isn't much information about the app when you login on how they are protecting your information, so that would be nice to know.

Ellane W.
  • Industry: Publishing

Can't function on my computer without it!

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

I can't remember when I first started using 1P, but it was at least 10 years ago. I paid a one-off fee and smugly continued using it without paying any extra even when they moved to a subscription model. I held off and held off…but eventually jumped on-board and paid the very reasonable fee. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Everything works so much better now, and I am very happy with the support they offer.

Pros

It's smart. It knows when to auto-fill my passwords, when to offer to save or update passwords, and when to keep out the way. It has a simple job to do, and it does it extremely well. When I bought a new laptop, I set it up from scratch and the first thing I set up was 1Password—it made setting up everything else very quick and efficient.

Cons

At first, things were confusing as I had several vaults and versions of 1Password. It didn't take long to find the documentation describing how to consolidate everything, so now it all works well. I wish I could figure out how to turn on fingerprint recognition for 1P 7 though; at the moment I'm having to enter my password each time I want to unlock it.

• Industry: Photography
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

1Password is very capable and feature rich

Reviewed on 19/02/2021

Overall I would recommend 1Password if you can bear the price. It's certainly not the cheapest password manager but I would say it offers great functionality and capabilities.

Pros

1Password does what you expect, generate and save passwords. There are useful additional features though like being able to upload a document and store it securely. The integration between 1Password and Have I Been Pwned from Troy Hunt is an excellent addition to an already great product and the Watchtower feature is very useful. The product does generally feel very polished and well thought through for example with the emergency kit in case of forgetting your master password.

Cons

I found sometimes the interface to be glitchy on macOS across multiple machines. This is suprising considering it was originally a Mac native app. The lack of capability to integrate a personal account in the same way LastPass does or maybe switch between business and personal accounts easily is a shame.
On a couple of occasions the sync has been a bit laggy and I have had to power up my laptop where a new site/password was saved before it appears on my mobile.

• Industry: Computer Hardware
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Excellent app

Reviewed on 24/02/2019

I use multiple computers at work as a developer, and I don't want to compromise my security by writing down passwords - I just put 1Password on those computers.
There are a lot of things I wish it _could_ do better, but they're not necessarily 1Password's problem. Some web sites restrict the use of special characters, or insist on their use (although "nectar,vineyard,oppose" is probably more secure than "/V>kTQnB4BU9", for example), so sometimes you have to alter 1Password's generated passwords by hand. Some websites don't work well with it, and many apps don't integrate with it, so sometimes it is easier to register an account at the app's website on a computer, then later log in, rather than attempt to register on the phone.
I recommend the use of this app to my friends, colleagues and family at every opportunity, but most of them still insist on using the same one or two passwords for multiple logins because its "too much trouble", and the IT department doesn't care.

Pros

cross-platform, effortless syncing, iOS integration. Unlocking with the Touch Bar on a Mac, or with touch on iOS. Sure, now it is a subscription, but the syncing across multiple machines and platforms is well worth it to me.

Cons

It is quite complex, and some websites have weird sign-in procedure which 1Password can't parse properly.