Clover

Comprehensive point of sale & business management solution

3.6/5

Jared K.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Clover Review

Reviewed on 16/05/2022

I have had ups and downs in processing and tracking payments for clients over time and the cost of using the product as well as their invoicing system takes a significant toll on report sales and tracking invoices if you have to use third party software with the systems.

Pros

I like the POS hardware compatibility with my bluetooth/phone data plans, PC/Printing equipment and also as an Inventory management since it provides a built-in scanner on the Clover Flex.

Cons

The Third Party apps are better than the built in programs and services which increase the cost to use the POS systems with Clover.

PayPal, Square Point of Sale, Cash App and Venmo
Elizabeth S.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Almost Great...

Reviewed on 10/05/2020

My overall experience with clover has spanned from the creation of menus and items with sub menus and add ons for each item, as well as specials for days of the week as well as happy hour times to daily usage for pos transactions. Overall I have been very happy with everything, other than the need to set up account through bank, as I mentioned before.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use clover for grab and go, sit down service, or retail services. It is the only pos system I know of that is easy to use for one or all three of the above type of service. With one pos you can easily switch apps and have optimized layout and design for each of the above, while keeping the same items and menus/submenus.

Cons

I dislike that it has to be used through your bank. It makes it really hard for management to have the ability to access customer support and full features, since most owners dont want their employees, even management, to have access to full banking info.

Aloha EPOS

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Better overall bundles and all inclusive services made clover a sole replacement for multiple previous softwares.

Square for Restaurants

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Again it allowed for the use of only one company/software versus having to use multiple items for different needs such as pos transactions, inventory, scheduling etc.
Michelle G.

Simple to set up and configure. Simple to use. Flexible reporting options. Decent Support.

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

Clover simplified payment processing for us with easy to use devices and flexible reporting options.

Pros

Our overall experience has been great. The Clover portal is simple to set up and devices are easy to configure. Clover devices are wireless and easy for staff to use, with good user level security and flexible reporting options. We have had no issues with the devices or the service since going live.

Cons

If there is any WiFi interferance the devices can disconnect from the internet and prevent payment processing, this is not a Clover issue though.

• Industry: Restaurants

I bought clover without looking at reviews

Reviewed on 28/05/2022

WARNING !!
TELL ALL YOUR FREINDS OR ASSOCIATES WHO USES CLOVER !!!
Take a picture of the screen showing how much money is made for the night before the system closes. then when it does close and print , compare the picture you took and what the print out says. Do this especially on nights when its a holiday weekend, Clover knows you'll be busy and know you won't be paying attention.. Then check the transaction app on the POS , and add up how many transaction each server or cashier did and compare it to what the printout says.. When you see the discrepancies, call the FBI and ask to be added to the growing number of clients that wants to sue Clover

Pros

duh ?? it lights up , doesn't use a lot of electricity

Cons

customer service , THERE IS NO OTHER CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THIS PLANET THAT IS WORSE THAN CLOVER CUSTOMER SERVICE./ They are the worst because they have to obey what their bosses say in robbing you the client. they will put you on a long hold and then you're disconnected. If you are lucky to speak to someone, whatever they have to say will never make sense to you !! Good luck

Lawrence W.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Customer Service

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Trying to get the original set up support is terrible. You will spend hours on the phone on hold, then transferred to another line to start over waiting, only to be dropped and start over. I have had this experience every time we reactivate our machines. Billing is another issue. We use these on a seasonal and reactivation is a nightmare.

Pros

Nice user friendly once up and running.

Cons

Inventory is hard to duplicate in all machines. When you download the template it has several errors when importing.

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Update
Karen P.

Clover is Cumbersome and You Need Third Party Paid Apps to do Basic Functionality

Reviewed on 27/07/2021

Want to have a seamless point of sale software and this was not it. The approval process was difficult and extensive just to find out they are out of stock of their hardware so I am charged the manual entry rate versus the keyed in rate even thought they are out of stock of Clover Go until and undetermined time.

Pros

I like the Clover Gos swipe and cost per transaction option but it is out of stock for months. I like the dashboard.

Cons

Wanted to import products from another system and tried to match the template provided by Clover to import and never got it in. Plus size of file is limited to 10MB which for the effort I could have keyed in the few items quickly to get to the file limit size. Customer support was painful to interact with and not helpful.

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Clover

because of the swiping capability which does not exist on Stripe
William A.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great payment system with lots of bells and whistles.

Reviewed on 12/06/2022

The system works well. It offers seamless tap technology. The online interface has many tools that allow me to improve management of my business.

Pros

I like it’s ease of use and ability to track performance while off site.

Cons

No complaints. Everything works well. Although I have had to replace the charging pad.

Craig L.
  • Industry: Automotive

Clover Review

Reviewed on 19/05/2022

Pros

Extremely easy to use!! I love the fact I can bring it with me and collect payments anywhere anytime

Cons

I have not run into any issues with clover

cost
Dane C.
  • Industry: Restaurants

A bit pricey but an excellent POS system

Reviewed on 04/06/2022

Used Clover for seven years. Switched to MYR system when our lease ran out. Wish I had stayed with Clover.

Pros

The programs were easy to use and gave us an abundance of information

Cons

Would have liked to be able to have tip options in dollars as well as percentages

Martin L.

Good product overall

Reviewed on 05/06/2022

Good experience overall

Pros

The fact that it integrated with my PoS system was the main reason I chose this software

Cons

A little buggy at times with credit cards

Luigi A.

Easy, simple and effective

Reviewed on 26/04/2021

Very positive. It's ease of use makes it suitable for every demographic and It integrates well with our other systems like Shopify and Shopventory.

Pros

Since this system uses android OS so it follows a familiar mobile OS layout.

The system is extremely easy to use. I repeat, EXTREMELY easy to use. So easy that the boomers in our company did find it too difficult to learn.

It's large buttons and integrated barcode scanner makes transactions quick and smooth.

It integrates with most common applications such as Quickbooks & Shopify.

The option to search for products by typing the name is extremely useful.

As one of our owners put it, "It's pretty hard to make a mistake on it, even for a caveman like me."

Cons

It's certainly not as advanced as other point of sales systems I've used in the past.

Sometimes simple commands are buried in sub folders. For example, if you want to delete an entire order, you are required to push three dots at the top of the order, then select the "delete order" option from a list of commands. While simple is steps, the lack of clarity when while locating the the action can slow you down when you are busy.

A massive con is the that it does not natively support variable priced items by weight. In order to add this as an option, we're required to pay an extra $10 a month.

Something that has also been massively disappointing is that you can not increase the price of an item during the sale. If an item is at a fixed priced, you can not increase the price, you can only reduce the price or provide an item discount. This is a disadvantage if you don't necessarily need an item to be a variable priced item, of if an item is priced incorrectly. It forces you to use the open item option.

Graham W.

Not for Retailers

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

The problems come with the back office.
The inventory system is basic to say the least, items sold at the till do decrease the totals, but all purchase quatities have to be done manually, you cannot set min and max stock levels, or re-order levels with the bundled system, so re-orders have to have a physical stock check, I am still trying to work out how this saves me time and money.
Clover relies heavily on thrid party APPs, which they absolve themselves of all responsibility in their T's & C's. These Apps are expensive
(The Shopventory APP is £40 Pm +VAT)
The E-Commerce integration does not work.
The Magento integration is for Magento 1m which was made obsolete in June 2018, and is no longer supported.
The Shopify integration does not work either, and for me failed at the first hurdle, (I have now been waiting 14 days for a fix).
I purchased a barcode reader they recommended, not even their support staff could get it to work, I was promised a fix, five months ago.
In my opinon this system out of the box is not for retail, unless you want to see your profits dwindle through the purchase of expensive APP's.
The actual helpdesk staff are very helpful, but they can only do so much.
The actual management are a nightmare to deal with.
I first presented some of these issues within 30 days and was promised a fix, five months later I am being told that even though I registered those issues it will cost me over £1500 to get out of a 48 month contract.

Pros

The till itself is fantastic, it looks ultra sleek and ultra modern, customers love it.
And that is about it

Cons

It was sold to me as a solution to me retail needs it certainly is not

David F.

An out of the box solution that works well for small business

Reviewed on 31/03/2018

Clover is an excellent and good looking choice for a small to medium size business in need of a reliable and cost effective solution. You will be pleased as I have been. The system offers quite a bit of integrations and once implemented you will be amazed at the power of this system. I wish we could have linked all stores together but we were only allowed three machines to link per location. Overall, an excellent POS!

Pros

I was in search for s POS for three thrift stores my nonprofit operated. The old cash register no longer fits the internal control environment and a switch was desperately needed. After researching multiple platforms I opted for Clover. The others were simply too expensive and too complex for our needs. The Clover system worked brilliantly and continues to power the sales desk at all three stores. Each store has three registers and we were able to link the three to the main server to aggregate totals for each store. Sales increased and customer satisfaction went up as well. Clover has a host of apps to integrate including inventory management, time and attendance, markdowns, and a customer loyalty program which was a hit with our customers. The Clover system is truly a remarkable POS for the price of entry. The sleek modern look keeps the cash wrap looking clean and updated. The Digital receipt and signature has cut down on paper waste and makes us feel like we are doing out part to create less stress on the environment. Overall this is a simple and powerful solution that powers millions in annual retail sales for the organization.

Cons

The one setback is the operating system is Android. I find Android to be clunky and prone to security threats. We had to ensure we had it on a secure network and well protected by firewalls. Additionally it took some time to learn the system. Disclaimer- we operated on a complete iOS ecosystem until we bright on Clover. So not a big setback just more learning.

Rachel B.

Too Simple without the Addition of Add-Ons

Reviewed on 20/07/2021

In our experience, clover has been nothing more than a fancy credit card reader. Our entire company runs through a third party app that manages clover from the other side. The only use clover has become to us is, to accept payment and we are currently looking into changing to a system that better suits our needs.

Pros

The aesthetic of the hardware fits on par with what is trending. The ability to utilize the barcode scanner is also nice.

Cons

In order to run our business effectively we had to download so many third party apps to do what we had been doing for 30 years on an outdated system. It felt like a slap in the face as it was a turning point for us to upgrade all the systems only to find it was nearly useless for what we needed it to continue doing for us.

MicroBiz Cloud POS

Reasons for Choosing Clover

We were running the old versions of Microbiz (not Microbiz Cloud POS.) We were making the change to integrate our brick and mortar into an online store as well and the options were not ideal for staying with Microboz. Our payment processing provider recommended clover so we went with them in order to not have to change our longstanding relationship with the local payment processing company.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Cost efficiency and apparent easy of use.
Dustin S.

Best platform out there for mobile payments

Reviewed on 18/11/2020

I have had nothing but positives with Clover. It has streamlined my company's credit card processing and actually brought customers in because I accept cards.

Pros

The app is extremely easy to use and simplifies my mobile payment processing. I have tried at least five other companies/apps and Clover is by far the best. From the very beginning of a payment to emailing the receipt, Clover is extremely smooth and user freindly.

Cons

It won't let me type my full company name.

Quickbooks Online

cost per transaction

PayPal

cost
Sylvia R.

Clover Pos

Reviewed on 24/02/2017

From the pos system itself, we are multistore, so that is added complications for the clover system. On the register side, looking up customer names is complicated, you type the last name, but cannot enter the full name or it will not find it, so you enter the last name and have to scroll through the list of lets say 50 last name of smith, takes way to much time, and really difficult on the mini with the small screen. To increase quantity you have to go to another screen and then back again, more time, If one person does a price check by entering an item because a customer wants the total with tax, even though you delete the item, or clear open order, if a second sales person then logs in to check someone out the order still reads with the first person doing the sale even though they logged out. From the dashboard side, no ability to print many things such as transfer slips from HQ to the other 3 stores, once it is transferred it is on the screen until the store accepts the item in, after that the info is gone, and you cannot access for questions, etc. the lack of alphabetical order on many functions, the tax functions, if you use different tax rate for each of our 3 taxing authorities, as we did (and would prefer) say you have 10,000. in sales, 3 tax rates, when they are done separately the total income would then become 30,000.00, so many of the reports are not accurate as they read.

Pros

clover has been making some updates in the months since we have been using them, which have been good and helpful, but much is needed to make it functional for a multistore, without having to pay way to much monthly for apps to do things

Cons

to get even what I would consider basic functions, purchase more apps that would raise the monthly cost out of reach, sometimes the apps will show different figures, when creating an item, for our multistore setting, I can create for all 4 locations at once, with name, label, category, cost, price, but the tax rate, I have to go into a different screen for each location and fix all tax rates, very time consuming

Jodi M.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great payment processing device

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Clover payment system has been really great for our spa. Really easy to run transactions, reports or refunds. The customer service has been knowledgeable and super friendly when we have had any issues.

Pros

It’s is super easy to take and track transactions. Has report capabilities And many functions. It is super easy to use. I have two different clover devices for different providers and they are all great.

Cons

The software itself is wonderful. The only issue I have is with the flex portable device on/off button. It is on the side and client constantly hit the button when they are picking up to sign for a transaction. The button should be on back underneath where it can’t be accidentally touched.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Love the functions on the clover and the receipts it prints.
Phil M.

Could be incredible, but appears to be more geared toward restaurants instead of retail

Reviewed on 17/06/2022

It's been okay. When something goes wrong, there can be a lot of runaround from different techs. There is a support number that we have to contact for technical issues, a different one for banking issues, and a third for issues with certain settings within the system. It would be helpful if there was one tech support contact instead of three. The main tech support doesn't usually seem to be very knowledgeable, and have to reach out to a specialist to figure out how to help most of the time.

Pros

Clover itself wouldn't be much more than a payment processing system if it wasn't for the many apps that you can add to make it work for your business. The catch is, most of the add on apps cost a monthly fee. The option to have these apps make Clover incredibly customizable to fit exactly what you need for your store. Overall, we still saved money switching to Clover from our previous company.

Cons

The software seems to be geared more toward the restaurant industry. When we got it, we did so because it was supposed to be for all retail. We likely would not have gone this route if we had known what we do now, but we have made it work for a retail setting with the help of certain apps.

Chenna C.

Clover for restaurants

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

Excellent in every possible way conceivable. We didn't have any major challenges during the last 2+ years of the usage.

Pros

Extremely easy to configure and change on the fly or on the internet, so, you don't have to be next to the machine to change or update anything. I can walk my Manager through this without any issues at all. The customer support is great. They are literally one call away. And anyone from the restaurant can call from the system, so, they don't have to provide any details on the account etc. Also, they can remotely log into the system directly and change things that we request, which is great, so, as a business owner I am not tied up to the system having to do everything myself.

Cons

Some of the features need us to call the Clover Customer Support. Also, in the good old restaurant POS systems you can print the bill and the customer adds the tip manually on paper. Also, the system automatically prints Receipts even though we touch the No Receipt Printed option. They need to fix that to avoid the waste of paper.

Nichole B.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to use and a lot of features

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

My overall experience has been good with Clover. They do have a lot of features we love like invoicing clients directly to their email (it does not track your invoices but it has a pay now button where your client can free type their own information and their payment info is directly emailed to the main user). I also like the modern look of the equipment. I wish the banks and clover had a more direct with each other relationship instead of putting me in the middle.

Pros

I like the ease of using Clover. Our office has a clover mini that we pass back and forth to the client and we use the virtual terminal for clients who wish to pay over the phone for their telehealth services. Clover also has an invoicing feature that has helped us greatly during this pandemic.

Cons

The machines are costly and because we are on a contract changing your system as your business changes are not easily done. I am not sure if part of this is my bank but I am currently paying for a clover mini I am unable to transfer or switch. The communication between the bank and clover seems to be convoluted. I would make sure you choose a system that has the opportunity to change before 2 years.

Kelly P.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Ideal POS system for a food truck.

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

Overall a very positive experience! Great for foodservice and customer support has been able to quickly resolve issues whenever they came up.

Pros

The interface is clear, easily navigated and very editable to meet your needs. This has been ideal for our coffee truck that enjoys making custom, often complicated orders.

Cons

"Waking up" the system is a slow process, often takes us somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes every morning. Most days we have to do a full reboot in order to get things operational.

Shopify POS and Square Point of Sale

Shopify POS and Square Point of Sale
Katie M.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to Use and Competitive Rates

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Overall, the product is simple enough to use that I am not worried about any of our contracted therapists messing up the process and avoiding taking payments.

Pros

What I like most about Clover is that it can be downloaded on any smart device as app and has an easy to use card chip reader. Our agency wanted a chip reader for extra customer security and Clover offered that option.

Cons

I like least about the software is that is does not capture customer information as simple as their first and last name, but simply has a text box for a description. Our agency uses the device for customer copays for therapy appointments and in the text box I am forced to put the customers last name in order to reconcile payments later.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

The start up costs and credit card processing fees were lower.
Sara C.

Great POS for smaller businesses

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Overall, I am happy with my experience with Clover. It has helped me manage my inventory, visualize my top and bottom sellers and identify peak hours for business. I recommend to any small retailer who needs an easy POS setup and inventory management solution.

Pros

The Clover POS is intuitive to use, easy to manage user accounts/ access for employees and very easy to add new items to inventory. The analytics available also aren’t too shabby.

Cons

I don’t like having the experience I have when dealing with Clover support but fortunately the need to do so is rare.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

I just preferred the packaging of the product and services it can provide.
Gordon D.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Needed a new Payment Processor and they killed it

Reviewed on 18/02/2020

Customer service has been great to work with. The integration with my website was beyond simple which is what I need running a 2 person business.

Pros

The ease of which I was able to set up an account for my business and integrated it into my website was astonishing. Most people think of clover as a POS system but I primarily use it on the back side of my website and needed the option for a mobile POS. They have it both.

Cons

The cost of equipment that is needed to use this software as a POS is a bit daunting. There are different levels of equipment, but they are all a little pricey.

Reasons for Choosing Clover

The need for payments to run through my website and at my new storefront without having multiple processors.

PayPal Commerce Platform
Michelle M.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Clover is the lead merchant in 2021

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

I have had an incredibly positive experience with Clover. I have even called their support system before and the representatives were friendly and efficient. I spoke to a live representative rather quickly who was informed and able to help me. I would give this product a 10/10 easily.

Pros

I love the tap feature. During covid, our dental office has tried to take every precaution to limit the spread of covid-19. Clover has a tap feature so that our staff does not have to handle patient's credit cards which limits exposure. Many major debit and credit cards have this feature and users just do not know! Look for the symbol that has 4 lines on your card and try it sometime! It is very fast and effective! We are also able to email or text a receipt (in addition to printing) so that there is less "touching" and passing involved.

Cons

There is truly nothing that I dislike about this software. If I was forced to answer this question, maybe I could say that the swipe option sometimes needs to be run more than once because it does not read the swipe on the first try; however, 99% of cards use the chip insertion feature anyway!