Microsoft Power BI

4.6 (1,689)
Write a Review!
BI visualization and reporting for desktop, web or mobile

(1,689)

Andrew
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

There are plenty of competitors, but Power BI is tops

Reviewed on 25/08/2019

Power BI allows me to manipulate data and present it in visually appealing and flexible formats.

Pros

I have used Tableau and Google Data Studio - among other alternatives. Nothing has seemed to compare to the functionality that Power BI offers. Everything about the program is made with the full spectrum of analysis in mind - from the designer to the data 'wrangler' to the end consumer (ie. others within the enterprise). In this way, Power BI is extremely powerful because it can be used for so many different types of projects; the data-analysis intensive to the more visual 'data-presentation' dashboards.

Cons

Sharing dashboards and reports in Power BI is easy and it has a lot of options for doing so. However, the requirement that all users must have a Pro Account to view dashboards created in Pro is a bit of a hindrance in a global organization where it does not make economical sense for every employee to have a Pro account. It seems like it would be a great addition to allow limited sharing to everyone - even those without a Pro account, as most of my internal team does not have an account.

Galaad
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Ease of use and great on-boarding experience

Reviewed on 08/01/2024

I am a supply chain analyst. I use the product daily for reporting and ad-hoc analysis. I often confronted to massive data base and multiple data source. PBI empowers me to build complex data model and produce sharps dashboard for others user in my organisation.

Pros

I really like the profusion of learning media for PBI (webinar, forum, microsoft learning experience and LinkedIn Learning). You can learn at your pace. Quickstarting is easy. Becoming proficient require a bit more patience but is relatively easy for people using other microsoft tools (Excel).

I like that the product is deployed in many company. The competencies are transferable.

I like the well defined working environnement (Query -> BI -> Viz) and the provided editor that are really enabling for people like me that are not developper by trade.

Automation of import, analysis and viz is also a real game changer for people that were dependant on Excel before.

Cons

I dislike the lack of userfriendly info for more complex developpement.
I feel not guided enough regarding more technical information regarding the product.

Imi
Imi
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent tool for small offices and datasets but can lead to frustration overtime

Reviewed on 14/03/2021

I am generally satisficed with the product, price and ease of learning with lots of YouTube video and the Power BI community, there is always something new to learn and implemented to improve or help meet your reporting requirements.

Pros

Easy to get started with Power BI if you are on the Microsoft 365 platform. Power Bi provides an easy to connect and interactive method for pulling data in real time from data collection system such as the SharePoint online, MS Excel and others. The ease of connecting with SharePoint is the strong point for my review.
Having the Power Bi connected to the SharePoint system provides the opportunity to have real time dashboards and dynamic reports for any small organization that is wishing to provide real or near to real-time reporting without the heavy upfront implementation cost for software, training and human resource.
Microsoft has indeed liberated the Dynamic Reporting with Power BI, and has also allowed for some very elegant web reporting to be created by non technical users.
My simple work flow , SharePoint for data collection, PowerBi for reporting.

Cons

The main issues are around the changes that are made by Microsoft, this will always be a learning curve for the users.
The lack of consistency on certain actions will be the biggest issue.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

Cost, Familiarity and given that is is a free offer within the MS Offfice 365 or M365 platform, it leads to an easy choice.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

The Greatest Visualization Tool Ever Is Power BI!

Reviewed on 24/03/2024

My preferred tool for data analysis is Power BI. As a Business Intelligence Analyst, I occasionally need to obtain data insights and carry out predictive analysis. For me, Power BI visualization makes things pretty simple. It assists me in determining what kind of data storage the data would require.
Additionally, anyone can create reports locally on their device.
Lastly, PowerBI desktop is available to all users for free.

Pros

The most user-friendly analytics program is Power BI. Among all the data visualization applications on the market, it has the most user-friendly interface. It offers nearly every kind of graph, chart, and visual aid required for analytics. Data transformation on-the-go is made easier using Power BI's (Power Query) data transformation feature.

Cons

This is the one limitation I see in PowerBI, users need be somewhat proficient in writing SQL queries and the DAX language, which is used to produce the calculated columns and measurements.

However, little technical knowledge is needed for paginated reports.

Katie

Our trusty BI tool for all-things data

Reviewed on 26/11/2023

I've been a huge fan of Power BI since we switched to it from Excel. We use it to create dashboards, set up automated reports, and anything else that requires reporting. In the years that I've used it, I've very rarely ran into bugs or performance issues. It's relatively easy to set up, has very advanced reporting capabilities, and tons of integrations you can set up pretty easily to pull data from different places. You can't fault it for BI.

Pros

We used to use Excel but switched over to Power BI for the more advanced features. And they've been very very handy for us. The data cleaning works a lot better, there's tons more cutomization options, and some integrations have been made much easier compared to just Excel.

Cons

The imterface isn't the best to be honest, especially compared to stuff like Tableu. But gets the job done nonetheless.

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

Excel worked pretty well for us as well, but we decided to move to Power BI for the advanced charting options.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

We were already pretty used to MS tools, and Power BI looked like it would be easier for us to move to, so we decided on it.
Md. Tanvir Bin
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Powerful analytics with an intuitive user interface (UI) and outstanding data visualization...

Reviewed on 13/11/2023

In one convenient spot, Power BI gives me excellent access to all the data sources and data sets I generate when creating the reports. I have various devices at my disposal to access the data at any time, anyplace. By using easy clicks, users may highlight features, apply filters, and interact with the dashboards.

Pros

Power BI enables users to work together and share dashboards and data with other people. Reports and dashboards can be shared by email, social media, and web publishing, among other methods available to users.
To ensure that sensitive data is protected, Power BI contains robust security features. In addition to controlling access to data, reports, and dashboards, users can create rules for preventing data loss.

Cons

Data that Power BI can ingest is limited in size. The free version must be extended to the paid version if I want to import data bigger than 2GB. It can also crash while processing huge datasets with complicated measurements, which makes using Power BI stressful at times.

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

For us to use primarily, Tableau is typically more costly.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

I may download the free edition of Power BI Desktop and begin creating reports on our computer right away.
Stephen
  • Industry: Music

I do not know of another tool that does this job so well

Reviewed on 27/10/2023

I use it daily for my for tracking everything that can be measured in a delivery process, weekly for planning and monthly for business reporting. It is my everything data tool. I have been involved in exploring other options but it feels like Power BI stands alone in this field.

Pros

For a tool to be this powerful and complete at this price level really does make it almost impossible to beat. If you have any experience with the Microsoft Power Query platform such as in Excel then Power BI is a natural next step for upping your BI and reporting game. The integration with the Microsoft Office system is seamless and it makes querying external data sources a doddle.

Cons

It can feel a bit clunky and slow if you do not have a high powered client - but the deployed dashboards take this issue away from everything except development. The only other issue I have encountered is in deploying this to a non-Microsoft environment but the tools are available to make it work, it just adds an overhead that you need to be aware of when evaluating the tool. Even with this overhead we have found Power BI to still be preferable to other options native to our non-Microsoft infrastructure and that is really impressive!

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

It is the only option that gives us the complete package and it is astonishingly cheap in comparison to many other options that come closer.
Nida
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Transforming unprocessed data into insightful visuals using power BI

Reviewed on 23/10/2023

It has been a very smooth transition from old reporting solutions which were limited to tabular representation to Power BI with it's wide range of visuals which can be transformed and adapted as per the end user need

Pros

Easy learning curve, user friendly interface, cross platform integration and compatibility, ability to setup custom logics.

Cons

DAX has a steep learning curve and power can be optimised to handle large volumes of data .

Intuitive interface

Reviewed on 18/12/2023

Has an active community of users who share knowledge, solve problems and contribute to the development of the platform.

Pros

Allows real time updates and integration with microsoft tools

Cons

Some users habe note that there ir a learning curve, especially for those who are new to the tool or have no prior data analysis experience.

Google Data Studio

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

Scalable and can adapt to various needs and data sizes.
Louis
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

great for data

Reviewed on 14/05/2024

Pros

Easy to download more data visualisation graphics

Cons

can be quite tricky to use, especially for a beginner

Deepak

The visualization and analytics product that is constantly evolving - for the better

Reviewed on 07/02/2020

With Power BI we identify patterns, issues and opportunities in sales, marketing, operations, supply chain, people management and finance data. The ways to look at the data and the drilling capabilities make this a wonderful tool

Pros

1. Improves with new releases every two weeks
2. Powerful insight management
3. Integration with MS products
4. Online forums and learning zones

Cons

1. Not as intuitive as packaged applications, but getting there
2. Not a good IDE for Python / R
3. Connectors to social media need to be improved

Domo and Tableau

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

Power BI is evolving faster and with better options and integration

Spotfire

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

Deeper integration with Microsoft tools online and offline.
Virgil

Moderate cost for a moderate experience for medium sized enterprises

Reviewed on 12/02/2021

So so. The dashboards and reports are limited in visual design, so they all look the same and quite ugly. Because of the difficulty sharing reports/dashboards to external individuals and the lack of a Google sheets connector I couldn't use PowerBI for most of the solutions we need, but will use it for some since it integrates well with the rest of the MS office ecosystem.

Pros

The thing that most sets PowerBI apart from comparable business intelligence solutions is the lower cost of multi-user deployment within an organization. PowerBI is part of a Microsoft Office 365 subscription package for businesses and you only need to pay an additional 15USD/month for each additional admin/analyst account you add. This is a stark contrast to similar solutions like Tableau, which charge a monthly fee for each user and has a minimum user count that equates to roughly a 15,000USD/year license cost as minimum. If your organisation is already invested in the Microsoft Office ecosystem this could be the ideal solution for you if you need to keep costs down.

Cons

It can't connect to google sheets and every other business intelligence platform can. This can be really limiting if your business uses a variety of SaaS solutions since many offer the simplest data integration options via Google sheets.

PowerBI also has real issues with external sharing of dashboards/reports. You only have the option of publishing internally (visible to your organization's users) or publishing publically (indexed in search engines). There is no option of sharing dashboards and reports to individuals outside your organization via a login, like what is done with Google Data Studio.

PowerBI also has a steep learning curve and uses 3 coding languages (DAX, M, and SQL). It's more complicated than it needs to be but it's relational database modeling has proven a good one and competitors have copied PowerBI's approach in recent years (Tableau).

Tableau and Google Data Studio

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

For the unique cases where I will use it, I'm chosing it because it is part of the MS office ecosystem which my organization uses and it will be easier to deploy and share products with colleagues who all build in PowerBI also. I won't use PowerBI exclusively though since it can't do everything I need.
Nikhil
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Power BI - A platform above the rest

Reviewed on 05/12/2022

Pros

Power BI is a valuable tool for data modeling in addition to being a visualization tool. Here, two or more tables must be joined while taking into account their cardinality. Power Bi gives us the ability to link a variety of sources, including live data warehouses and massive data lakes, to import our data. It also provides us with the option to export the dashboards through PowerPoint. Ad hoc reporting within the user hierarchy is essential to a business analyst's role in order to deliver findings to C-suite executives and decision-makers. The platform speeds up execution compared to other visualization tools because of how simple it is to use. The way everything is set out in Power BI makes it easy for the users to understand which data type fits which visualization and how it will affect the way it is perceived. The formatting available is also simple to understand and locate. KPI monitoring is extremely important and directly proportional to the setup in Power BI. Compared to Tableau I feel Power BI has a big edge.

Cons

I have switched to this product from another one and prefer this. I believe this is the best visualization tool in the market right now.

Sri
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Really good for aggregating data from multiple sources

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

Power BI has helped us go from random spreadsheet reports to consolidated dashboards that are pleasing to look at and easy to interpret.

Pros

The interface is beautiful and easy to navigate. Once data sources are all connected, it's pretty easy to create a new dashboard/layout if you know how to analyze your own data. Nearly every integration that we needed was already included.

Cons

It's hard to build some more complex reports. If you want to combine two different data sources into one view/metric, you will need some advanced skills.

Sisense and Tableau

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

We switched from our basic Excel reports because they weren't very good, they were hard to update, and they didn't include a lot of useful information on each screen.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

We are fairly well integrated into the Microsoft ecosystem and Power BI integrates well with the other tools we use. It offered the best balance of features, maturity, and value for our needs.
Satya

Power BI, widely used Tool

Reviewed on 12/12/2022

Concluding or summing it all up, I think this is by far the most convenient tool out there for performing various things such as extract data from different sources, clean, visualize, create colorful dashboards and reports. All in all, a great way to present what we have to say in words. With the use of Artificial Intelligence too, its clever enough to handle certain tasks really well.

Pros

Most of what I like about this is the outcomes of it, it is simply brilliant as to how we get such clarity on insights with this tool. This can make businesses take the correct decisions that drives them into good decision making that profits them. A one stop BI solution tool.

Cons

While creating complex relationships among data, it can be a little tedious to do it because if there are multiple links amongst the tables/data, POWER BI cannot handle them quite well at times. The factor of modeling the data in the right way comes in picture.

MUHAMMAD
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best Business Intelligence Tool Ever!

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Great experience and great tool to experience has a very easy interface and can make dashboards easily.

Pros

Microsoft PowerBI is the most easy tool to use, an non IT personnel and not a well trained personnel can easily use this tool. This tool has an interactive Graphical user interface and if you have any problem you can just google it.

Cons

The frequent update sometimes will be much tricky to handle as if you have the newest version of the desktop and the old version of desktop so it may be tricky and the file may not upload to the server.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

As we have the SQL Server Enterprise license and we can deploy the reporting services of the powerbi onto the server so that we opt for Powerbi as it is cost effective rather than other products.
Genseska
Genseska
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Good BI reporting tool and easy to learn

Reviewed on 29/08/2022

So far, I really like using Power BI. I migrated all my reports 1 month after I started using the software. No experience or training needed to started using it.

Pros

What I’ve enjoy about using Power BI is that have simplified the process of creating and sharing reports. It’s a very helpful tool to visualize data, and you can connected with several data sources like Excel, SQL and Access. You can share a report via link and you can choose the option that works best for you, like if, everyone that have the link can access to the report or some specific people. The people that have access can view and interact with the report but not modify it. An interesting and helpful feature is mobile layout view. You can create views of reports adapted to mobiles. I learned to create dashboards in Power BI by myself, there’s no need of a full training before start using this tool.

Cons

Something that had me struggling is that the data source must be as simple and clean as it could be or it may present execution issues. It often shows running issues for certain inquiries.

Merve

Enhancing University IT Systems with Microsoft Power BI

Reviewed on 17/08/2023

Microsoft Power BI is widely regarded as a powerful and versatile tool for data visualization and business intelligence. Its capabilities in transforming complex datasets into interactive visualizations and reports are highly appreciated by professionals across various industries.

Pros

Power BI allows for easy sharing of reports and dashboards with colleagues and stakeholders. This promotes collaboration, as everyone can access and interact with the same data. The interactive features of Power BI dashboards enable users to drill down into data, apply filters, and explore different aspects of the dataset. This interactivity enhances data exploration and analysis.

Cons

Data Refresh Limitations, Limited Offline Access, Advanced Analytics Requires Expertise. Power BI heavily relies on online connectivity for data retrieval and sharing. Offline access to reports and dashboards is somewhat limited, which can be a concern in certain scenarios.

Caroline
  • Industry: Accounting

Microsoft Power BI is an descent alternative tool for Data Analysis by Microsoft

Reviewed on 19/07/2023

Overall, Power BI is a great tool for data analysis and visualization helping provide you with the necessary insights for faster and informed decision making.

Pros

The awesome attribute about Microsoft Power BI is it allows you to import data from various sources including Microsoft Excel, SQL server, Oracle Database, IBM database, etc. This shows the level of compatibility that was built on to the application to ensure it can be used diversely. In addition to this, you can also do a data merge of data from the various sources that are supported. Power BI has a variety of data visualization tools column charts, funnels, pi charts, donut charts, KPI visuals etc. Any possible data visualization you can think is included in Power BI. The interface is also quite user friendly with a few drag and drop functionality enabled.Another awesome feature about power BI is the fact that it can also be accessed via Android and IOS. You can access your data and make decisions from anywhere.You can also use natural language query to 'Ask Questions' to your data in Power BI. It can understand natural language.As expected, Power BI works well within he Microsoft Ecosystem, so if you company is already intensively on Microsoft Products, this is a seamless transition.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve involved to be able to use Power BI effectively. Your organization needs to employ the services of someone who understands how to use the tool properly.

Trey
  • Industry: Restaurants

Microsoft Power BI has changed the way we report - and it's been great!

Reviewed on 29/01/2022

We have begun to use this for all business reporting - from the Executive team all the way to the daily front-line workers. It has replaced outdated Excel files and labor intensive reporting methods of the past. It has become invaluable as a daily tool for the entire team and saves an extensive amount of hours from redundant report generation.

Pros

It is so easy to use once you understand the premise of it. We have super users that create functional dashboards so that anyone can go in and get real-time updates without having to rewrite queries. We use this for our daily sales reporting and it lets you drill down and really understand the numbers.

Cons

It was a little intimidating to use at the start as there is so much functionality. Once you get the hang of it, it makes perfect sense. Just take your time to learn and focus on one aspect at a time and it will all make perfect sense.

Jimmy

Miscrosoft Power BI for Federal Acquisition Spend Analysis

Reviewed on 24/04/2017

All in all, for the price, this is an excellent tool for helping your organization turn mounds of data into useful insights.

Pros

Power BI simplifies the process of combining different types of data sources to create a single data model. There are also many built-in Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) functions that help reduce the time required to prepare data. Creating reports and dashboards is as easy as drag and drop. The Power BI User Groups are strong and plentiful, so you can always read through blogs to get answers to questions that you may have. The Power BI Desktop application is used to perform ETL, create reports and is free. The reports are published to the Power BI cloud service for sharing, which is also free with limited capabilities. For more capabilities, such as security groups and scheduled data refreshing, there is a subscription fee. Microsoft will be releasing an on-premise solution for sharing Power BI content via an update to SQL Server 2016 hopefully within the next few months.

Cons

It's not always easy to speak directly with a MS Power BI expert, so that is a bummer. Also, you have to sign up to the Power BI service using an email address in order to share and view Power BI reports and dashboards, but Microsoft doesn't yet support personal (.cox, .gmail, et.) or government (.gov, .mil, etc.) email addresses which is a real bummer.

Caspah

Power BI review

Reviewed on 22/02/2021

I have been using Power Bi for over 2 years now in creating Dashboard for several items including Finance, data, Students and school data and recently I have used it in documenting poll results and Covid-19 cases.

Pros

Power BI is great especially with data analytics and visualization. This is usually very informative especially to the senior management when creating dashboard and data summaries. For example, Its specifically important in monitoring budget and expenditure data. The most important advantage of Power Bi is how it can easily summarize, transform and visualize data through summaries and dash board reports. In addition Power BI delivers real-time reports especially when linked with production of the data. It both accessible on computer and mobile. It is also very easy to integrate with excel and other data storing softwares.

Cons

It is somehow technical especially when writing DAX scripts and when linking several tables for relationships. Since its mainly used for Dashboards and visualizations, the presentations can be crowded considering a lot of information is supposed to be squeezed on one page. Power BI also requires complex formulas in DAX which sometimes can give wrong results from expected. It also takes a lot of time to prepare data and create visuals.

Morgana
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Powerbi: a good choice but expensive

Reviewed on 24/07/2022

despite the price, in general I like the tool and I see several possibilities to use it even as a statistical tool

Pros

Powerbi has many possibilities for visualizing data and making reports. it is possible to connect with simple databases and with more complex ones as well. the range of visuals and features make it the ideal tool for a company's kPIs team. the mobile option helps with routines and saves time

Cons

it is not easy to create the metrics and what is needed is a deeper training so that the Dashboards are smart, fast and functional. the premium license is very expensive and an intermediate license could be made, with fewer features, but which is more affordable for small businesses

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

was chosen for having beautiful visuals
Marlyn
Marlyn
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

A comprehensive data visualization platform

Reviewed on 12/06/2022

With Microsoft Power BI we can create more profound and useful insights, enhance the publishing efficacy and precision of BI content, and it has a powerful in-stream real-time analytics

Pros

Microsoft Power BI is one of the most comprehensive data visualization platforms you've ever used. Power BI allows me to collect data from various sources, such as azure and SharePoint databases, it is a platform with enormous potential since it can transform data and give a better perspective, what I like about Power Bi is that it has an easy-to-use user interface without long learning curves, which makes it easy to use for new users, you can see the tables in an orderly way this facilitates data analysis, in Power BI it is safe to use, since it allows only authorized users can access, this is vital since the information that is stored is very sensitive.

Cons

What I don't like is that the desktop version consumes a lot of RAM and is sometimes slow, a computer with good specifications is required for it to run smoothly.

Njoki
Njoki
  • Industry: Printing

Insights you can trust.

Reviewed on 07/11/2023

Microsoft Power BI always shows prowess in business data analytics and this has enabled us to achieve a better understanding of our business operations. With the insights we get from Microsoft Power BI, we are able to make informed decisions, plan and do forecasts to prepare ourselves for situations deemed to happen before they do.

Pros

In data analytics, the insights are only important if one can understand them and for that i like how Microsoft Power BI offers easy to understand data visualization tools which makes it easy to read and understand the insights about the business. It allows easy creation of reports which we use to demonstrate how our business is performing as well as understanding areas in our business which needs improvement. The data analysis tools uses AI and drag and drop technology which makes it easy for anyone to use it for the analysis.

Cons

Nothing at all from me. Using Microsoft Power BI has been so simple and it has very responsive features.