SimplePractice Reviews

Alicia
Alicia

One Place for all of Your Electronic Medical Record Needs

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

I am a pediatric occupational therapist and have been very happy with Simple Practice. I would recommend it to anyone. I have also used this software as a client and it's very client-friendly. The passwordless login makes it easy to login, I like the appointment reminders by text and email. I have used the telehealth feature as a client, but not as a therapist. It doesn't work well for evaluations because of the way documents are formatted, so I write those and my plan of care forms/goals on a separate document outside of SP.

Pros

You can bill insurance with the click of a button. I love being able to make my own forms so documentation is more efficient, and the paperless intake process is smooth. Much of it is very customizable to the needs of your practice. The company is very receptive to feedback from users and is constantly upgrading and adding features.

Cons

There was a learning curve to figure it out and I'm still learning about all of the reports they can run. I don't like the online scheduling feature very much, but that's partly because I'm used to using Acuity Scheduling which has many more features. I used the online scheduler briefly and wasn't thrilled that only new clients could use the online booking feature from the website; current clients have to login to the portal to schedule. I decided to just stick with Acuity because it allows me to get information from clients at the time of their booking and I can use it to schedule groups, which is a big part of my practice.

WebPT, HelloNote and Fusion

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It has everything in one place.
Jen

Great get started product

Reviewed on 16/06/2023

I recommend this product to anyone starting off with their business. It is a good resource for a thriving business as well. But when starting off everything is so overwhelming, yet Simple Practice makes it smooth and stress free.

Pros

I love how it has all that I needed to get my coaching business started. Easy set up of appointments and billing options. Very easy. Very helpful when feeling overwhelmed with starting a business up and running. I have gone from a brand new business to a thriving coaching business with the help and ease of Simple practice. It links into my apple calendar and my google calendar. It sends a reminder and link to my client. The billing system is smooth.

Cons

I have had a few glitches with the reminder app. Sometimes the extra features are not translated from the phone app to the overall system.

Paperbell and Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Ease of use, includes reminders and syncs with calendar, and can use on the fly with my phone or in my office on my computer.
Charna

Buggy system

Reviewed on 03/07/2016

I am a brand new user and apparently made the mistake of trying to set things up over a holiday weekend when SP team is away. That's not their fault. Since I haven't been using it for long I can't comment on all the features, but i will say I'm considering asking for my money back after spending two days adding my client info and getting repeatedly frustrated.
I pretty much just wanted software that would organize my clients info ( dx codes, different fees) so making receipts would be easier. And I was considering online scheduling. I'm not sure this is the best solution. I've been in practice for 14 years and this is my first attempt at using software for note taking. I should also say my growing edge is being patient with technology. I wish i'd just paid someone to set it up for me because I don't find it fun to figure it out.
Once it's all set up maybe I'll love it, but the problem is they sent me this option to review two days after I started data entry.
I'll get more specific in the pro and con section.

Pros

Adding clients in calendar seems relatively easy. Since i have sliding scale i like that i can personalize the amount they pay and keep it clear and organized.
Don't know how it will work, but I am excited to be able to have a credit card payment linked so I don't have to ask clients for their card each time.

Cons

There are a lot of buggy things where you have to add what the system wants vs being able to customize info.
While Adding new clients the option to add an email or address didn't automatically show up, and since I wanted to have all that info for receipts I tried to figure out how to do this. Under editting client info each time I tried to add their email and home address when I pressed save it would automatically change the name and phone number to my name and number. No idea why this would happen? Perhaps a special bonus mindfulness test? This process took twice as long because of this. Eventuslly i figured out if I just added an email and pressed save , then added address and saved again it seemed to be ok. Also cutting and pasting info didn't work. I kept being told it was an invalid email. It doesn't like if there are any extra spaces.
Then adding cpt... I have questions, since I charge more how if will all come together on the invoices/receipts.
I just wanted to upload my forms I created and I did not find this easy. Have yet to figure it out.
Unnerved to even touch the billing / invoicing but that's why i bought the software so I'm waiting to get SP support since my friend who uses it said he's inexperienced with this feature.
Even submitting this review it insisted on me adding an organizational name. What if their isn't one?

Response from SimplePractice

Charna, I'm so sorry you had this experience with us right off the bat. We're here to make things simple, not complicated. I checked in our our email conversations with you and it looks like we've worked on getting things working for you together! If you're still having any trouble, let us know by filling out a request: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new We're here to help!

Braden

Excellent software, simple design

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Overall it is the best software solution that I was able to find and I tested quite a few. The only other one that came close at a comparable price was Therapy Appointment but I found Simple Practice to be overall better. I do like it and really hope that they constantly improve the software to include the things I mentioned above. If they do then I do not see myself leaving Simple Practice for a long time.

Pros

For me the best feature of this software is the online integration such as the client portal, the syncing with my google calendar, the video appointment capability, online scheduling, online bill payment, texting feature, automatic appointment reminders and easy online access to my EHR. I also like the simple modern design - this is what initially attracted me to simple practice. I have had good experience with customer service. Sometimes chat has been available but other times I've had to email them (but I wish chat was always available).

Cons

I want more customization capability. Such as customizing what the client portal looks like (graphic design of the portal is lacking). Also would like to better customize the reminder and welcome emails, such as by being able to use rich text formatting. I would like to be able to customize discreet data fields in the EHR, such as being able to edit my demographics form to include things I want to track. And also be able to have discreet custom data fields such as to keep track of PHQ-9 scores or other biometric data I want to be able to track over time.

I would also like to have faxing built into the software because I work closely with medical providers and this is their primary way of communicating with other providers.

Also wish they would offer a different credit card processing vendor because Stripe is one of the most expensive ones I compared.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Overall most robust software with the best visual design at a reasonable cost.

Response from SimplePractice

Thank you for your positive review, Braden. We're glad that SimplePractice is the solution you chose for your practice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Heather

Not Bad, but I miss Epic

Reviewed on 08/09/2019

So far, I've only created templates, added clients, and input insurance information. I'm moving on to billing next week so I'll know more then.

I would add that I really appreciated the half-hour in-person tutorial (via zoom) I received near the end of my trial period.

Pros

There are many things I like about this EMR: the format is pleasing and (mostly) intuitive, the side bars are handy, and the trove of FAQ's and videos is astounding and often very helpful.

Cons

The templates limit the user to certain forms and give fairly small boxes for narrative responses. I used to use EPIC and I miss being able to populate an open page with my template and add/adjust it as desired, like a Word document.

I also wish the calendar allowed for more detail--like, a different color for intakes vs follow-up appointments would be really nice. Or, there could be a code before the client's name in the calendar slot--like, 'I - Jane Doe' and 'F - John Doe'.

I also wish that the end time of the appts was more clear. I like to schedule a 15 min break between my appts and the "Weekly" view is definitely better than the "monthly" view for this, but still not as clear as I would like.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Moved from a clinic to private practice

EpicCare

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Two reasons: 1) I found a review that compared Simple Practice, Therapy Notes and one other small business EMR and Simple Practice compared favorably, and 2) A friend was using Simple Practice and I trust her recommendation.

Response from SimplePractice

Heather, thank you for your positive review. We're glad that you've found a lot to like about SimplePractice. We're always working on improving SimplePractice to streamline your workflows even further - thank you for your suggestions of what you'd like to see in SimplePractice in the future. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Geoff

Seamless transition, works exactly as described

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Pros

- Seamless transition from prior electronic medical record (EMR) to SimplePractice. Just great.
- Everything works, and loads fast
- UI is clear, intuitive
- Features work really well, including the videoconferencing add-on. Just really great!

Bottom line: It works exactly as described, was easy to set up, and really is a joy to use. Seriously.

Cons

I have not found something I didn’t like yet. I have been using it for a few days since I set it up this week, and everything is working really well! No problems.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Functionality was inconsistent, user interface was slow and difficult at times

WeCounsel

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

After talking to colleagues, I narrowed my decision down to TherapyNotes or SimplePractice. Both were reported to work well by those who used them. I chose SimplePractice because it seemed to be designed for individual clinicians rather than primarily for group practices (keeping it “Simple”) without skimping on necessarily functionality. Additionally, SimplePractice offers robust document management (clients can sign documents paper-free), and integrated secure videoconferencing. Perfect!

Response from SimplePractice

Geoff, welcome to the SimplePractice Community. We're glad that your transition to SimplePractice was seamless, and that you enjoy using our all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Victoria

Best Scope of Functionality for Price Out There

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

Pros

I love all that I can do with Simple Practice. I was looking for a service that can house my client documents for my in-person private practice, teletherapy practice, and coaching business all in one. It makes the onboarding/intake process for new clients so streamlined and easy. It's so nice to have one less thing to worry about as a new small business owner. Customer support has been excellent. It feels great knowing I'll have help if I need it for something so essential to my business.

Cons

Sometimes it's not that simple to use! But I think it speaks more to the breadth of options available than to the software itself. There's so much I could do with it, at times it is overwhelming.

TherapyNotes, LLC, Doxy.me and nTreatment

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I wanted a service that had both telehealth and an EHR system. I didn't want to switch services later.

nTreatment

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

The great things I've heard about Simple Practice, having experience with it in the group practice I work for and knowing its ease of use.

Response from SimplePractice

Victoria, we appreciate your glowing review. Our goal is to support practices like yours so they can grow and thrive. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice as your all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Joy

Comprehensive Software for my Solo Practice

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

I tried a number of different software platforms, and SimplePractice was the most comprehensive and easy to use.

Pros

The Calendar is easy to use and the Client Portal is very convenient for clients to complete paperwork.

Cons

The Video Telehealth option did not include key features and was expensive and nagivation of creating forms was difficult

My Clients Plus

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

SimplePractice was much easier to use and better for a solo practice.

CarePaths EHR

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

SimplePractice was much easier to use and better for a solo practice.
David
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

The name of the software says it all.

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Overall, I find Simple Practice to be just that, simple. It has all manner of features that I do not employ nor does it force me to jump through hoops I don't require. I might well use some of the bells and whistles at some point but the ease of doing just what I need to do in minimal time is it's major selling point for my practice.

Pros

The EHR is simple, uncomplicated, and lets me get my work documented without fuss or having to click through various pages to record progress notes. Also, the names in the calendar appear as first, and last, as opposed to some gibberish assigned to each patient that I am forced to remember as my former EHR software required.

Cons

The setting of the appointment time I find to be clunky. It defaults to the current time, which means I have to scroll to the correct time when I make an appointment for the patient. Yes, a minor issue but I wish there was some other way to ascribe an appointment time. I frequently return appointment requests in the evening. having the calendar time default to a PM time is a minor issue but I'm not fond of it. A minor quibble, but I need to be careful or I schedule someone for 8:00 PM when it should have been a morning appointment. I'll get used to it I am sure.

Amy

from paper to technology

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Overall I am very pleased with this product and the more comfortable I get with it the more time it will save me.

Pros

the features I appreciate most about the software are the auto billing and automatic superbill generation. these are tasks that have no return on my time investment and so anything to automatize or regain my time is a good financial investment for me. I also appreciate the ease of adding my clinical note directly to the appointment, the way it links couples together and the ability to share and upload documents with clients. the customer service has been stellar, from answering questions to providing a free 1:1 consult. They have also responded to our request of adjusting the demographic form to be more inclusive which was a major need for my practice.

Cons

I don't like that I have to add a whole separate client entity for couples and that they have to sign their own consents. Creating your own intake questionnaire is extremely tedious if its comprehensive and so I'm yet to try and get my current form onto the system because it would take me hours.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Recommendations from colleagues and the experience of the free trial. The ease of which I was able to navigate the interface made me want to continue trying things.

Response from SimplePractice

Amy, thank you for your positive review - we're glad that automation of your practice workflows has helped you save time and get a higher return on your time investment. We're also proud to continue iterating on SimplePractice to introduce new, better features to more effectively support your practice and clients. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Casey

Overall great software that could use a few improvements

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Overall, I have been happy with Simple Practice. I wanted a place I could handle paperwork, notes, billing, scheduling, and secure video and messaging--this has got it all. It's priced fairly, and so far has been more consistent than more expensive competitors. The support staff is helpful and quick to respond, but I would like to see clients have direct support access so that I am not having to be a middle person when they have technical issues. (I was told they try to limit client contact for privacy reasons, but with a BAA and informed consent in place, I don't see how privacy would be an issue.) The biggest change I would like to see is for clients to be able to upload and send documents. This is something I'd imagine multiple users would appreciate as many of us are offering telehealth and need to have a copy of each client's ID. Also, it would be more convenient for providers if clients could access their demographics so that the provider is not responsible for making changes whenever they'd like to opt in/out of text or email alerts. Finally, I'd like to see the consent documents moved out of the client portal and with the other forms so they are more easily accessible for updating.

Pros

Mostly user-friendly, responsive and helpful customer support, customizable templates, clear video, easy client onboarding and billing, great value for the price

Cons

Placement of consent documents is awkward and not intuitive. I would like the client to be able to send documents to me, access tech support, and change their demographic info and opt in/out choices.

CounSol.com, TheraNest, VSee Clinic and Doxy.me

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

It cost nearly twice as much and rarely worked as advertised. They offered credits, but I needed working software--they cost me clients.

WeCounsel

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

All the features I needed were in one product with Simple Practice, onboarding is simple, and the price is fair.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Casey, thanks for your positive review, and for calling SimplePractice a great value for the price. We're proud to provide an excellent product at a great value to private practices everywhere. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Daren

Great Overall, but Their Settings Menu Needs Work

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

My experience has been good overall. I think they make a lot of aspects of treatment easy which is good given their name. I don't like very many EHR's in the world because all they care about is practice management and are pretty terrible for high-volume clinical tasks - which makes them indirectly quite expensive in terms of labor to use. I think SimplePractice is a good balance between the two - though their reporting and practice management is still pretty weak.

Pros

I really like their balance between practice management and clinical documentation for a small practice, as well as the degree of customization for forms and documents.

Their portal is pretty easy for clients to use (I rarely get people having trouble with it).

I like their booking widget for my website.

The telehealth video/audio quality is very good.

Their help database is one of the better ones I've seen, lots of great articles and clear instructions that seems to be kept up to date.

Cons

Their settings menu is not intuitive and you have to hunt around to find the setting you are looking for.

CEU offerings are not on topics of interest to me.

Their clearinghouse doesn't have one of the carriers I need.

Reporting and practice management tools are weak.

Their paid therapist collaboration group where potentially sensitive information is discussed is hosted by Facebook (perhaps the most untrustworthy and unethical software company on the planet) AND they charge us to be invited to participate on a platform that doesn't cost SimplePractice any money to host other than maybe some moderating? That doesn't align well with the brand reputation and quality of SimplePractice and isn't really a good value for the money (in my opinion).

TherapyNotes, LLC, Tebra and TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

For the reasons I described in my overall experience.
Luis

Expensive but (almost) worth it

Reviewed on 08/03/2022

SimplePractice is very good software for mental health. However, all the options and features lead to complexity. This isn't necessarily bad design - it's simply that there are so many things the software does that there is a lot to learn. Even if you're good with software, implementing the whole package in the condensed time frame required for starting up means that there are times when you'd love to talk with a support rep. It's not that it isn't physically possible to speak to a live person about using the software. It's that by the time you actually hear from a live person, you've either solved it on your own through hours of your own labor, found a work-around, or decided not to use the feature you needed help with.

Pros

Robust and configurable. Every feature I can think of, that a mental health practitioner might need, is part of this product. Every part of your practice is configurable, from intake documents to discharge documents. Credit card processing? Yes. Online scheduling? Check (it even produces code for your website, so you can have people book appointments directly from your website). Revenue summaries? Yes. Client attendance reporting? Yes, that too. This review isn't the place to make a comprehensive list of features - but it is the the place to make the point that the feature list is comprehensive.

Cons

SimplePractice offers different pricing tiers, so you can use as much of the software as you're willing to pay for. But, IMnsHO, what's the point of choosing the most robust software if you're not going to use the high-end (expensive) option? So, I pay (as of this writing) $99/mo to use the software.

You'd think that princely sum would enable the occasional conversation with a support team member. It may, but I haven't been able to see how to do it. Have a look at the SimplePractice website and see if you can find a number to call for support. I could not.

To be fair, they have a large number of videos which clearly explain how to use the software. They're very good, especially if you know which video you need to watch. Bottom line is when you're working a bunch of hours, stressed by carrying a full case load, trying to implement this very comprehensive software, you could use a friendly hand on the phone with set-up. At least, I could.

Instead, I got (best case) 48 hour turnaround to emailed questions. For $99/mo, I feel like I should be able to call them now and again.

Robin

Simple practice honest review

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

Overall my experience with SimplePractice has been positive and I would recommend it over other electronic health records. In doing my research and talking with others, simple practice stood out as the most user-friendly and clinically professional platform.

Pros

As a former pen and paper therapist, getting started with SimplePractice was a bit tedious, But that would have been the case with any electronic record. Once that process was complete using it daily with current and new clients has helped me run a more professional and organized practice. It is easy to use and has a lot of helpful features like forms, templates and assessments.

Cons

There may be a way to do group sessions when you upgrade to the platform for Telehealth but I have not figured this out yet. I would like to be able to do a group meeting with multiple colleagues or supervisees.

TherapyNotes, LLC and TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I talked to other users of SimplePractice and felt like it would best suit my needs over the other options. It is also my understanding that simple practice intends to connect to the NCHIE which will become mandatory for some providers in North Carolina
Jill
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

I have had on-going insurance enrollment and payer reports since I started with Simple...

Reviewed on 12/11/2017

It is simple with respect to face validity. You can navigate around pretty easily without making serious or irreversible mistakes that many of us fear with the technical aspects of EHRs.

Pros

It works relatively well if you have mostly direct pay clients or accept only a couple of insurances. It also works well if you have very few tech problems, your are pretty "techy" and industry knowledgeable to begin with, and you are ok with short answer email responses to any questions you might have.

Cons

There is no one to call. Even if you email asking for a phone call, they won't talk to you. Their customer support consists of sending you video and article links about how to do things. Or emailing you back and forth over the period of weeks or even months. However, if you have an actual, real-time problem, that cannot be fixed by watching a video, and requires someone to actually get on a phone and figure out what is going on- forget it. Your accounts will be hopelessly upside down, which is anything but simple! For example: insurance enrollments or payer reports that require immediate technical support, forget it. They will email you back and forth for months telling you that they submitted to have the problem fixed, as if that fixed your problem. Or they will answer you without addressing the whole problem. If you accept and/or bill multiple insurance companies, keep moving. Simple Practice is not the answer. It's too difficult to move your entire operation to another EHR once you have completely set up with Simple Practice and then you find out months later that there are no "simple" fixes when you have legitimate insurance problems.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Jill - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear you feel like we're not here to help you! That's definitely not the case. While we aren't able to respond immediately to emails and don't currently have phone support, we do our best to get you a personalized response within a few hours. We also have several Live Online Classes to show customers the various features in the platform and how to use them. If you're interested in signing up for any of these, here is the link to do so: http://features.simplepractice.com/classes/

If there's something we haven't helped out with, please don't hesitate to send us a message here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. I'll make sure we help you out. We appreciate your patience and candor, Jill!

Cheryl

Simple Practice: An EMR for Speech Language Therapists with Potential

Reviewed on 28/09/2021

Overall, I find SP to be an acceptable, but not optimal EMR. I continue to use it, because, quite frankly, my understanding from other SLPs is that all of the EMRs that are available to those of us who are single member practices (thereby giving us a single member practice budget) are lacking in some way as well. I continue to use it because it allows me to easily bill insurance. I find the cost to be exorbitant for the little I use it for though. It is my largest business expense, and as a part time practice owner who wants to spend time helping clients, not figuring out how to use an EMR, it is a constant frustration.

Pros

The claims filing process using Simple Practice is very easy, and efficient once initial information is entered correctly. There is only one tweak that has to be made each time, and it can be submitted. Claims are paid quickly, once remittance capabilities are set up with each insurance the claims details quickly populate. SOAP notes can be set up and customized fairly easily, including with one line responses and check boxes once one has figured out how to do this. It is very easy to enter data for much of the note on my phone following each session at client homes. I can then easily use the Simple Practice App on my phone and take a photo of the handwritten notes I jot down in session and it imports easily into Simple Practice. These two features are the reason I keep using the product as the rest of it's options need work to be functional for an SLP.

Cons

SP lacks features that I really need in an EMR. One of the biggest things it lacks is a way to easily note quantifiable data, match it to a short term goal, and quickly give me the ability to bring up a number of days of that data with a search. I have to keep quantifiable data on separate excel spreadsheets for each of my clients in order to be able to quickly access it to write progress reports (which I do quarterly). If I want to batch print SOAP notes, I can't. Each note has to be opened/viewed individually (even though it appears that it all gets pulled down together in a Zip File). Who has time for that? Simple Practice also lacks the ability to customize certain features. For example, I really want to be able to set up text alerts for clients for certain periods of time, but not always. Such as the week I return from a vacation. I do not want to have to go into each client, set alerts, then remember to turn them back off again after that date. I also want to be able to just set texts to remind new clients initially, not weekly. Another thing I really need is the ability to batch email clients from within the EMR without listing each email (for privacy). I currently have to cut and paste notes to each client and email separately. For example: when sending out procedural updates, reminding clients of a week I am closed and so on. Why haven't these things been added/customized yet? There are a large number of users who have requested them in the request section.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Cheryl, thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I can certainly address some of the "Cons" you mentioned. The same issues you run up against when trying to mass email clients with updates are the ones we have to deeply consider when building a mass messaging feature through our platform. As an EHR, client data is of utmost importance to us and many mass messaging tools include contact information for all the recipients in it. We're still exploring ways to enable mass messaging, while maintaining the confidentiality and security of your client data. As far as being able to quantify data for reporting, exporting all Progress Notes onto one document, creating timeframes for when appointment reminders are enabled, these are all features that we could implement in the future. If you'd like us to further consider these feature requests, let us know on our Ideas & Suggestions Board: http://simplepractice.uservoice.com/ ! - Ruth

Ariel

Satisfied Chiropractor & Acupuncturist

Reviewed on 28/02/2018

Pros

Lots of important pros. 1) Online scheduling and intake, 2) integrated payment processing and auto-pay, 3) cloud based, 4) competitive pricing, 5) very easy to learn, 6) the team is getting faster (slightly) with updates/improvements, 7) works for chiropractic billing now, 8) free online help articles, and 9) free month trial. We looked into so many options, and Simple Practice was clearly the best in our opinion. We're still happy with our choice; the pros outweigh the cons!

Cons

1) Text reminders: you only have a few options of when they go out, and all options are 24+ before the appointment. A text reminder shortly before greatly reduces no-shows, so it's a major feature missing.
2) Confirming appointments: you can't turn off the need to confirm appointments, and it's time consuming to confirm every. single. appointment. We want the option to turn off confirmation, or at least for some appointment types.
3) Email reminders: you have to turn them on for every patient, and it's not quick to get to it.
4) Sales tax: they don't track it, so you have to manually keep track. You shouldn't use this software if you sell products regularly.
5) Customer service: too slow. Not just initial response time, but how many back and forth emails it takes to get an answer. I tried the live q&a and it didn't get me an answer any faster. Chat would be a big improvement.
6) Group practice: overall it works well. The thing that is lacking is the report to help with payroll. It's confusing and needs better instructions/help articles
7) Online scheduling: overall good. The con is cancelling online. A) it's hard to find, so we get more phone calls than we used to. B) we let patients cancel up to 12 hours beforehand, but the software cuts it off 24 hours before, so we again get more calls than before.
8) Color coding: you can't set the background color of appointments. For us, it would be so helpful to make insurance appointments a different color than self-pay.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Ariel - We love hearing from our customers that have shopped around and find SimplePractice the best platform for their needs! It's great to see you're utilizing so many features already. When it comes to your requests for feature adjustments, we regularly take customer requests into consideration to make sure our product meets the needs of all types of business owners. We're created a Product RoadMap to share what we've done lately and what is in the works here if you're interested in checking it out: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap

Thanks for your detailed review!

Amber

Administration is Frustrating

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

Pros

It is simple to use and if you don't have a large number of clients that you see then it works well.

Cons

None of the billing reports include all data points that is necessary for keeping track of payments and insurance reimbursements. For example, one report may have date of service and paid amount, but not the date the payment was made or for which clinician. Another report may have the date of service, client, and clinician, but not the payment amount or date it was paid. This makes it necessary to keep records outside the system which creates a problem for record keeping from a HIPAA standpoint. It's also a problem that we are paying for a system that doesn't cover all our needs.

The second significant problem is that Simple Practice doesn't allow patient medical record numbers. They also have stated they do not intend to include this in future improvements. When you can't use the billing reports because they are incomplete, and then you can't assign a medical record number to a patient, it makes it extremely difficult to follow HIPAA guidelines on record keeping. You can assign a medical record number to a patient, but there is no place to put it so you are unable to do any reports or searches using the number. And, again, you must keep a record of it outside the system.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Amber, thank you for the detailed review! You're right, none of our Reports include the date an insurance payment was made, but the Appointment Status Report includes the date of service, amount owed, amount insurance paid, amount client paid and the clinician's name. Here's more on the Appointment Status Report: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]! Although you can't assign a medical record number in the system, each client has a unique numerical code in the URL. You can use these numbers, or the entire URL to distinguish your clients from one another outside the system. - Ruth from SimplePractice

Stephanie
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Price Gouging

Reviewed on 17/03/2022

My experience has been that Simple Practice is not responsive to client complaints or concerns. They have ignored many issues and do not respond in a timely manner to basic questions. Do not get stuck with simple practice as they have a record or raising fees while taking away features.

Pros

I like the platform but not that they keep raising the cost over and over again.

Cons

In 2 years, my Simple Practice subscription has gone up 68%:

Feb of 2020 it was $59
March of 2020 it was raised to $69 (+17%)
March of 2022 increased to $99 (+44% from last increase, +$68% since 2020)
Should I expect this kind of rate increases moving forward? Next increase would be at $140/month and then $200/month?

They took away calendar sync! You have to buy premium just for a feature that should already be included in the basic.

I know you all are "adding features" but none that add any value to me so I'm paying 68% more for the same experience, same functionality. I don't have any use for chatting with people during sessions, blurring the background, default templates or Wiley treatment plans that don't apply to my business, mobile billing or insurance billing, online scheduling, or a website/marketing directory thru you all.

It's especially galling that for the extra money, I still have to build complicated Excel macros to simply calculate and track my actual/net income per session because there isn't a report that shows all of your appts and with how much you get after Stripe's cut.

Abigail

Great EMR and billing software for occupational therapy community based practice

Reviewed on 20/11/2021

Our occupational therapy practice has really enjoyed the ease of SimplePractice whether we use it on our laptops or the mobile version since we don't have a physical location. The free trial was a great way to see how the program can work for us and we are so glad that it did it!

Pros

We have really enjoyed having the app feature for our community based practice. All of our therapists are not in a clinic and this allows for them to document anywhere and quickly. Making changes and creating templates is very easy and simple to do. Our team really has enjoyed the sync feature of the calendar with our G-suite as well as how easy it is to do billing. As the administrative person, submitting claims is SO easy that it has given so much more time to perform other tasks.

Cons

While the calendar syncs seamlessly for our practice, it would be nice that visually that appointment looks different other than looking for the CPT codes to denote a difference. We also have supervisory roles and sometimes it is shared between more than 1 therapist so it would be great to assign that more easily.

Jane

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

ClinicSource was much too bulky of an EMR for our small practice and not much guidance on the how to correctly use the billing feature which ended up in costing more money than planned.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

The cost and the ease of submitting claims
Catherine
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

SimplePractice increased prices AND took away features...

Reviewed on 10/01/2022

Very poor. While the service sounded great to start, they blindsided their customers and have provided an underwhelming response to our concerns. I specifically wrote them regarding the rate increases and was provided a copy/paste response (which was already published elsewhere). It wasn't personalized and it most certainly didn't address my concerns.

I would caution all who are considering using SimplePractice as their EHR. This company has increased prices multiple times in the course of 2 years with the latest being the most significant. They don't deliver on promises and they could care less about caring for those using their platform.

Pros

I've used SimplePractice as my EHR for a couple years. I liked it. It was easy to use. However, they announced rate increases that begin in March 2022. Their announcement was sent out less than 2 months in advance which doesn't feel like enough time for the customer to make a decision on which new plan to use or switch systems.

Cons

They are a shady and money hungry company. They don't actually listen to customer feedback that results in any improvements or changes. They promise future improvements, but nothing comes to fruition.

My subscription cost has a 77% increase if I want to keep some of the same features while losing some of the features I currently have. It is a 154% increase if I want to keep ALL of the same features I currently have and gain a few features that I don't really need and have no use for. Due to that outrageous price increase, I have to look elsewhere for my needs.

Jennine
Jennine

It Needs MORE

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Over all, it works. It is awesome if you run your private practice solo. No problem at all. But for those who have a group practice, it needs lots of help.

Pros

I love that I can track client sessions, treatment notes, payment, etc. It is excellent for an individual clinician, but terrible for group practices.

Cons

I have many complaints - first the support team is not available to help. The program is not robust enough for a group practice, and it charges so much money for a larger corporation. I'd love to see some sort of discount for larger companies.

I have two group practices and it allows double bookings. As you can imagine, a therapy practice can't have double bookings. We have to review the room usage weekly to catch double bookings. It does not allow us to change the front end view (client view). The front end shows our multiple rooms, instead of just showing our office location. It would be nice to have the ability to edit what clients see. It also doesn't allow us to merge data with quickbooks, so we spend hours with data entry each week.

Response from SimplePractice

Jennine, thank you for your candor and your review. We're glad that you love how SimplePractice can track client sessions, notes, and payments. We're committed to providing as much flexibility and control over your practice as possible - some practices prefer to book group or family appointments side-by-side, which is why SimplePractice does allow clinicians to double-book. If you'd like, we'd love to set up some time with you and our Group Practice Specialist, Paige, who can address some of the concerns you've raised here. We're committed to your success - feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected].

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Heather

Efficient, intuitive, and oh-so-supportive.

Reviewed on 13/07/2016

I will be the first to admit that the administrative side of running a psychtherapy office isn't what nourishes me most - it's the relationships with my clients and colleagues that sustain and inspire me. That said, I realize that the administrative aspect of my business is central to building a successful practice so that I can continue to do the work that I love. Finding a practice management system that is effective and intuitive, and built for mental health therapists, has been a game changer. I knew I would find the right system, eventually. SimplePractice fit the bill.

What came as a surprise is the quality of the relationships that I'd build with the customer support professionals at SimplePractice. When getting started, I reached out to customer support about various aspects related to enrollment and billing of Medicare. I had a unique-ish circumstance with my enrollment due to address changes. I had spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Medicare and got as far as I could with them. I reached out to SimplePractice support by email (there's no phone number!) and admittedly, I thought I'd never hear back - that feeling of sending an email out into the universe to float around forever. I had not even registered for SP, yet. Well, I had a response within 1 day. The responder was encouraging, informed, concise and kind (remember I'm all about the relationship). In some ways, I couldn't believe how simple he made it for me, so I clarified with him 2 times! In each rresponse, he remained professional, encouraging, and helpful. It was a dream come true. A technology for therapists that thrive in relationships. A responder that spoke a technology language that I understood. Someone that wanted me to be successful in building my management system. In this age of nameless, faceless interactions, I really felt like "Will" was there to not just answer a question, but to help me be successful in my business.

Pros

Responsive customer support.
Appointment reminders .
Client portal for intake paperwork and billing.
Nice visual interface.
Intuitive.
Built in credit card processing.
Intake paperwork forms that are built for therapy offices.

Cons

Nothing I've identified, yet.

Response from SimplePractice

Heather, this made our day! We love everything you said. We exist because we want to help our customers focus on the work they love and not have to worry about the busy work. We're here for you! Thanks for joining our growing SimplePractice community!

Alan
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Simplepractice new pricing structure forces all to pay highest level

Reviewed on 02/02/2022

Great until now.

Great until now.

Pros

None.

Cons

The site just announced a new pricing structure that removes important features -- none of which are costly to implement -- from their lower cost plans. In order to have a biller added to your account or have calendar synchronization, one has to buy the top level.

Response from SimplePractice

When changing our pricing, we conducted extensive research on how to charge customers at a rate that was commiserate with the services we provide and the labor it requires. We also conducted research on the necessary features and most utilized functions and segmented that data based on the stage of private practice the customer was in: how long they'd been in private practice, if they were a solo-practitioner, small group, large group practice, client case load etc. The new Essential Plan is very similar to our sunset Professional Plan, but it's meant for a solo-practitioner. We've tailored 3 distinct plans to better fit the stages our customers' private practice journey - including an affordable Starter plan. We added many new, highly requested, features in 2021, and extended options for customer support. We appreciate your feedback as we continue to build our product and introduce more customization in our subscription plans in the future. -Sara

Tyler
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Unbeatable service with top notch customer service!

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

It really only takes one word to describe SimplePractice.....Simple.

It really only takes one word to describe SimplePractice.....Simple.

Pros

SimplePractice, was, well...Simple. It made billing a breeze, always quality video with clients. My provider always used SimplePractice and swore by it. Given the opportunity, I would switch back to SimplePractice if needed. SimplePractice customer service team is by far, the most pleasant customer service experiences I have had in the health field so far. Keep up your improvements SimplePractice, hope to see you again soon!

Cons

There is quite literally 2 things that, were not even bad, they just didn't favor our practice our how our clients liked things.
The first, was SimplePractice did away with the client portal needing a password. Very secure, but clients were used to the brick and mortar way of entering your username and password.
The second, the roles are very strict to keep client documentation private. In normal situations, that's normal, and honestly, commendable. But, again, our practice needed something a little bit more "group" oriented, where clients can interact with other people in our practice who play different roles in our clients lives. So, if it wasn't for my opinion, SimplePractice could err on the side of perfection.