Smartsheet

4.5 (2,126)
An online work execution platform for any size organization.

(2,126)

2,126 reviews

• Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Smartsheet for shared client collaboration

Reviewed on 24/06/2021

Smartsheet has been easy to implement and use and has been well received by our client. We're happy and considering expanding to other clients.

Pros

We use Smartsheet as a substitute for Google sheets with clients who are not able to use google drive for security reasons. Smartsheet is easy to set up, reasonable cost for a small team, and offers a nice interface for client-facing projects.

Cons

Still learning the ins and outs of Smartsheet, but so far do not have any major issues with our use-case. We are using it for a fairly tailored/niche purpose so I haven't explored it's full range. I'm curious to see the reporting capability.

Erika M.

I chose this and love it

Reviewed on 03/09/2021

Pros

The ability to share sheets and collaborate is absolutely essential between myself and my teams. I like that all of the Smartsheets that I have access to can be organized into folders for easy retrieval and love the ability to pin sheets or go to the most recently accessed to be able to easily find the one I'm looking for. They also often introduce new features, which is great. Also, the automation tools, like the ability to notify someone when a row or field changes, is absolutely key with the way we do business to ensure that everyone is always on the same page.

Cons

This is nit-picky, but I do not like setting up rules for a sheet, and then the email that is sent to people looks like it is sent from "me." I would rather have the email come from Smartsheet instead my email address because in many cases I set up the rules for others and it appears that I am emailing them about it but that is not the case.

Nick A.
  • Industry: Furniture

A flexible tool only limited by your imagination and ability with formulae

Reviewed on 16/07/2021

Smartsheet has been transformational for our business. As a small bespoke kitchen manufacturer (21 staff) we have some industry specific software for design and quoting, but most out of the box ERP software doesn't fit. We don't have an IT department so anything we use needs to be robust, and my background in programming has enabled us to implement some nifty systems using Smartsheet, but without the hassle of actually writing and then maintaining our own programs. Excel just doesn't compare, and is not cloud native so just doesn't work so well even in Office 365. We genuinely cannot live without it.

Pros

Cloud based - available everywhere to everyone
Flexibility - it's not only a project management tool, it can do most things that Excel can do, but often better. Specifically column formulae are a fantastic recent addition that enables sheets to become almost unbreakable

Cons

Nothing major. There are some minor gripes:
- Slack integration doesn't allow tagging of individuals, and cannot allow a variable to determine which channel to send the message to
- Cannot yet control heirarchy with formulae, I hope this function will come eventually

Alasdair D.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Excel on speed

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

I have a running joke with my colleagues that goes along the lines of "have I told you how much I love smartsheet?" This is generally when I have discovered a new wow feature - e.g. the ability to lock in column formulae. They smile and say "yes you have mentioned it"

Pros

It's core infrastructure is very easy to understand. As an accountant I saw a spreadsheet like thing and shouted hurrah I get this. Then I realised that was just a beginning but a beginning that was good because it hooked me. Then I started to get that there are forms and the spreadsheets are really databases in disguise from which you can easily produce reports with no programming skills needed (other than those I knew anyway). Then there are dashboards that you can configure to your own requirements. I particularly love that you can change information on the reports and it changes on the underlying spreadsheets (databases). For one business I worked for I changed what had been a daily and weekend nightmare for the owner into an automated process that took half an hour. Literally life changing for him.

Cons

It's strength is it's weakness. Like a spreadsheet it can be too flexible which can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Other software has guardrails, this doesn't. If you take care it's fine but you can find yourself changing something and it having knock on effects. It's not that the underlying data is compromised by this but the reporting can be. For example if you change the name of a database column the reports won't be able to find it again which means that on the reports and dashboards you find a blank where there should be data. So take care, but if you do, it's magic!

Nick B.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Quick Spreadsheets that allow for collaboration

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

I solve the problem of tracking how my employees profit on many small profit/small margin projects. This allows me to see who is struggling the most and who is not. My team specifically focuses on education, hospitals, and non-profits. So maintaining margins to not lose any money is important. I wrote up a story about it here:

I've pulled off absolutely amazing things. I'm willing to go into detail and share more of what we were able to accomplish. Many of Smartsheet's examples do not solve business problems, but they do help us learn how to solve our own!

Pros

I absolutely love how quick and easy it is to use Smartsheet. The formulas have great documentation and it helps tremendously when trying to learn and accomplish new tasks. You can pull off amazing things if you sit down and build it. I was able to build a completely automated revenue and labor estimator that shows me how profitable each member of my team is.

Many of the applications we built, the community was clueless how to build it. We were able to accomplish some very unique dashboards & spreadsheets that make our lives easier. I can now make business decisions on a whim, without having to spend hours of research about the effect of one decision on our numbers.

Cons

I dislike how many features such as the dynamic view or the workspace deployment feature is locked behind an expensive addon. And when inquiring about customer service we were told it "isn't" a fit for us. But yet, Smartsheet cannot give us a demo to experiment or test them out?

Smartsheet is nickle and diming things a lot. Smartsheet is >not< small business friendly. It is really a shame because these tools are absolutely 100% amazing.

It also surprises me how little the community interactions are. There are many great suggestions for features that are standard in Excel and Google Sheets, that Smartsheet blandly ignored for years, and sometimes says "coming soon" and years later we still don't have it.

Airtable

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

We also used AirTable, Google Sheets, and Excel. We made the switch because the sales team convinced our CEO it was a good move.

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Our CEO made the choice, and it felt like smartsheet was going places.
Ryan C.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Smartsheet is a great Project Scheduling tool, and so much more

Reviewed on 08/10/2019

I love Smartsheet! It has become an indispensable tool in organizing and visualizing the work we do everyday!

Pros

Smartsheet is much easier to use for Project Managemen than the classic Microsoft Project software I was originally trained on. It allows people to manage work with the intelligence of a project scheduling tool, but with an easy to understand and use spreadsheet interface. Since Smartsheet is a cloud product, each Smartsheet is available from any computer by just logging into the website, or even from their mobile app. Another great Project Management benefits is that the Project Manager can share a Smartsheet with their whole team to collaborate together.

We also use the Smartsheet for Jira Connector which allows us to sync information back and forth between the two systems. Jira can be complicated to navigate, and the dashboarding can be really frustrating. This connector allows us to keep track of individual tickets associated with a project, and even lets us import massive data sets for analysis.

Finally, we have ended up using Smartsheet as a dashboarding tool. It's actually surprisingly good as a Business Intelligence visualization tool for keeping track of our projects, and for displaying Jira dashboarding.

Cons

Like any software there are small quirks I'd like to see changed, or hotkeys added, but overall I'm impressed with the constant cadence of feature updates and enhancements.

Microsoft Excel and Adobe Workfront

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Smartsheet is easier to use, is cloud-hosted, and has online collaborative features to engage the project team and stakeholders.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Better collaborative and cloud-hosted options and a cheaper price point.
Brian P.

Smartsheet for Data Management

Reviewed on 08/10/2019

I daily maintain six Smartsheets, and will probably integrate more. This has helped with tracking my progress in processes, and eliminated the need for reporting up, as my superiors can view my progress in real time. I found learning the software to be fairly easy, and recognized many opportunities presented by Smartsheet for further education.

Pros

I use Smartsheet daily to track personnel processes, such as recruitment efforts, termination procedures, and the completion of development reviews. I have used other software before, but Smartsheet affords me with the opportunity to freely share the data with other coworkers and management easily and immediately. I also really appreciate the automatic save feature, and the prompt to update with other's changes. I tend to stay in my Smartsheets all day long so this is particularly helpful for updates. I like the ability to attach documents.

Cons

I found the Filter feature to be a bit clunky; That design needs some work. I'd like to be able to change fonts within fields, such as making individual words bold. Manipulating rows within the sheets could be streamlined. It's challenging when you want to move a series of rows to another location on the same sheet. It becomes a two-step process: Creating the space for the rows in the new location, and then cutting or copying and inserting them in the new space.

Dawn M.
  • Industry: Banking

I could not work without Smartsheet

Reviewed on 19/07/2021

We recently upgraded from an old Teams Plan to Business so I'm still learning the features we've been missing out on for so many years. I'm enjoying the Dashboard feature but want more color options. And I'd like to understand the PROOFS feature more.

Pros

Formulas & V-Lookups are much easier in Smartsheet, than Excel, love the automation of being alerted when changes are made to my sheet; love the "Request Update" feature. And the Web Form features are so much easier than Survey Monkey. I embed images of things alot into cells and helps me tremendously as easy access to things. I have created a Project Status Report that is all inclusive - Project Summary at the time, Project Risks, then Project Plan (major work packages) then Project Task LIst (the detail), then Issue Tracking, then Contacts, and I use comments bubbles for meeting minutes - one comprehensive document I can submit to Auditors.

Cons

I do miss being able to have different font colors inside a cell. I would like to have additional font colors that match our branding. There is currently not a lime green color that matches our branding so I have to snag images of font and embed the images as a workaround.

Andrew K.

Smartsheet has the perfect balance between usability and feature set

Reviewed on 22/09/2016

Pros

Not as complicated and cumbersome as MS Project, which tries too hard to apply complicated logic to your project plans. Smartsheet simply gives you the ability to create plans of any level of complexity. Conditional formatting allows easy review of start/finish dates and who is assigned what.

Collaboration is easy and effective as you can share with different levels of permission, and export only those elements you want others to see and work with. Having the product in the cloud makes access simple and reliable. Only once in 3 years have I not been able to access my project plan immediately, and even then it was up within 5 minutes.

Easy to learn and train others on, so you can bring collaborators in quickly. Easy to edit as it uses all the intuitive elements of cut/paste and drag/drop.

Vendor has been helpful when needed, but mostly in the background which is what I want. I just need functioning software and a place to go for help, not endless tips and promotions.

Cons

Creating a backup is a challenge. It's not intuitive and involves way too many menus and steps. There should be a simple way to create a backup offline for audit or versioning purposes.

There needs to be an auto-save feature. I've had new collaborators lose their work because they forgot to manually save. For a product that operates with the ease of Google Docs in the cloud, the expectation is that there is an auto save feature. The 10-minute reminder message is not sufficient.

Loann M.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Smartsheet: TimeSaver & Sharing of Information

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

Overall, I am still an avid fan and plan to continue to use SS. However, I am saddened that there are now so many features that require an additional fee to make use of them.

Pros

I love that updating a cell(s) in one area updates it across the board - no need to re-enter the same data multiple places.
Ease of sharing by either sharing the sheet/report or by using the scheduled sending of the sheet/report to people on a recurring or one-time basis.

Cons

Though I'm still a huge proponent, I have seen a decline in the responsiveness to users on the Community platform, as well as helpful ideas that would be of great benefit to the end user. With growth comes pain, and us users are feeling it.
I wish some of the previous ability non-licensed users had were still in effect.

Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

I find SS is more intuitive and less cumbersome than many other project management tools. I love how simple it is to share (SharePoint should take note!).
Kurt R.
  • Industry: Packaging & Containers

Box+Foam, Packaging Manufacturing...

Reviewed on 14/07/2020

Almost no learning curves -- a great way to store and share information. We added several tools to our kit including quality control, dashboards for our customers, tracking mechanisms for preventive maintenance, and even customer facing forms for input. We really haven't begun to scratch the surface.

Pros

The most immediate impact of our SmartSheet deployment was when our phone stopped ringing. This was a good thing. Our first sheet was as a project management tool to track our packaging projects for our customers. Since our customers could see the progress of our projects they didn't have to call for constant updates and requests for drawings or schedules. Packaging touches engineering, marketing, purchasing, production, and shipping so a lot of people need to see what is happening on a daily basis. SmartSheet provided that custom tool that we needed to be a better vendor.

Cons

For us, there wasn't any dislikes. We are a small company and this was a vast improvement over what we had been doing. This was a true paradigm shift for us. It changed how we did business.

Michael A.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Good basic producr

Reviewed on 30/01/2020

It was going pretty well and we were designing new cooperative ways of working with our students and customers, then Smartsheet changed the permissions for free users which made a whole bunch of new work for us in redesigning our systems. This alone would make us receptive to a different provider when we next review things - bad move smartsheet

Pros

Basic functionality and capabilities, pretty easy to get to grips with.
Selected this software over others at the time because of it's ability to report upwards - i.e. dashboards & reports which at the time seemed overlooked by many similar PM packages.
Great for sharing plans and co-working with a team.

Cons

Not sure it's PM capabilities have advanced much in the two + years I've been using it.
e.g. baseline capabilities, ability to incorporated lags/leads or fixed milestones into scheduling .
It doesn't look 'funky'.
The update emails tend to look 'spammy' and people sometimes ignore them.

Ben H.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Fantastic Tool for Project & Task Management

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

Smartsheet has been a very useful tool across the board for consulting and project management work

Pros

Intuitive and fit for use given the industry and specific use cases

Cons

A bit difficult to collaborate directly in the system - i.e. mentions and comments

Microsoft Project, Asana and Trello

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

More robust features around project management

Asana

Demonstrated usability and experimentation
Miguel G.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

A Smart Way To Manage Your Projects

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

While many businesses continue to move in the direction of a clean and more streamlined user interface, Smartsheet continues to expand the capabilities of its products through its grid interface of a spreadsheet-like appearance. Despite popular belief, this format is still very effective and highly used in places where metrics are essential and number crunching is calling all the shots. With enhanced filters and views, one will be surprised at how powerful Smartsheet really is. I would personally recommend trying this, even for a trial, and get the feel for what Smartsheet can actually do.

Pros

Smartsheet brings the familiarity of using a spreadsheet and transform the way you manage your projects through their grids. Smartsheet is a complete suite of tools that allows your business, big or small, to manage and deliver on your products efficiently. Its list of features is quite extensive:

Dashboards provide full visibility of the project and its status. With key metrics represented for the entire project, you can visually see the progress your teams are making with each project. This allows for quick response and adjustments where needed without having to dive too deep into the details. You can display your projects in one of various ways, each with their own unique set of advantages: from a Gantt chart view, to a cards (Kanban) view, to a calendar view. Provide portals for team collaboration and generate forms to capture the information you seek. Add to that attachment capabilities, notifications, alerts and reminders, plus reporting and so much more... and you have a well rounded complete suite of applications that helps you manage your projects and your business more effectively.

Cons

Smartsheet has no inherent cons. And the only thing I may consider as such would be that of bringing a spreadsheet-like format of its grid into use when trends are deviating from this format slowly. Other than that, Smartsheet does offer what its name implies... "smart" use of its various components to effectively manage a business.

Steve C.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Intuitive and Robust

Reviewed on 24/08/2021

Overall, Smartsheet has been a great asset to our company. I don't know how we would have been able to keep track of our COVID response for our customers without it. It has allowed us to manage a large amount of data, ensure tasks are done timely and minimize risk.

Pros

There is so much I love about Smartsheet: 1) Reports: the reports you can generate based off the source sheet is fantastic. It is basically an intuitive pivot table, but much easier to use. 2) Column formulas are fantastic. One of my earlier woes is when the formula didn't automatically generate with new inputs placed into the sheet. This caused inaccurate reporting. With the column formula feature that was added in the past year, it helps provide a sense of confidence that your reporting will be more accurate. 3) Dashboards. The dashboard is such a great way to summarize data and provide visual context to your reports. I love the shortcut feature that helps to keep important data sheets and other information together. 4) Automations: The automations are probably the best feature of Smartsheet. I love being able to create alerts when certain conditions are met to ensure that certain actions are done timely.

Cons

While using Smartsheet, I have gone past the column and cell max several times, causing me to have to think creatively how to archive information.

Kevin K.

Smartsheet for Dummies

Reviewed on 23/03/2021

We are using it as a sales tracking and CRM tool, as well as for various projects. We also use it as a repository for key business information such as client contracts, supplier contracts and important passwords. We also set up a leave booking system on it whilst we were getting our payroll version sorted out. Overall, the product has met our expectations and the company itself has been good to deal with when needed.

Pros

The software is very intuitive to use. If you have good Excel skills you can get the basics up and going very quickly. From there, there you can easily start adding on to the complexity and there are plenty FAQ and forum guidance to help you solve specific problems.

Cons

Sometimes creating formulas can be a bit tedious and time-consuming especially when trying to create formulas between sheets. Copying formulas that have sheet links is also pretty cumbersome. Whilst there are plenty of templates to use as a base for building ones own tool, a wizard tool of sorts would be a great addition. So, for example, when creating a CRM -type system, having a wizard to help you establish the initial effort would be great.

Sarah S.

10/10, Would HIGHLY Recommend!!

Reviewed on 25/08/2021

Pros

Honestly... I LOVE Smartsheet. Now that I've had the ability to work with it and see what it can truly do, I don't think that I would be able to go back to a world that doesn't use Smartsheet. This has been my "one-stop-shop" for all things! My organization skills are so much better, my thoughts are more organized, this helps to keep me on track with updates as well as appointments - the possibilities are endless within Smartsheet! I don't prefer any other software to this! - I would recommend to ANYONE! 10/10!

Cons

One feature that would be nice to have on Smartsheet would be to include a password protected or at least an eye for invisibility for certain rows or information. If you have multiple people shared to a sheet, but not everyone should have access to all of the information, but need to be included on the sheet, this would be a great feature to allow some viewers to see that information as to others that shouldn't have access to see those items not shared to everyone. (Kind of like the eye feature on photoshop to show certain images, or hide certain images.)

Maria W.
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Smartsheet

Reviewed on 22/07/2021

I utilize Smartsheet every day and love it.

Pros

I love the dashboards and ability to integrate Google into the dashboard for teams that prefer to utilize Google for certain aspects. I love the automation ability for alerts and reminders as it keeps project teams organized. I love to utilize Smartsheet as a task tracker and backlog along with Project Plans, Portfolio Management, and dashboards.

Cons

I wish the WorkApps were a little more user friendly and that you could provide people with the same editing permissions as in Smartsheet so there isn't one person responsible for maintaining the WorkApp. It would also be nice to have FULL editing access to the sheets and pages within a workapp, such as dashboards, so you don't have to open the dashboard separately to make changes. There should also be a button on each thing you add to a WorkApp that allows you to "Open Separately" so you can make changes if needed.

It would also be nice to be able to integrate more links into Smartsheet (both dashboards and WorkApps). Sometimes you try to add a link to embed something and it doesn't work.

Jeremy P.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Best Software

Reviewed on 08/10/2019

Pros

It's hard to qualify how useful this software is. The good things: the price (very inexpensive), the utility (schedules, task lists, work flow, process support, etc), the support (I work regularly with various team members who make sure I'm successful with the product), and ease of use (people catch on very quickly, and the utility is apparent, so "selling" the product to internal stakeholders isn't even necessary because they're ready to adopt it after one demo).

Cons

There is nothing I like "least". This is the most valuable software on the market to me, my team, and my career.

Ashley M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Smartsheet is a PM's dream tool

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Pros

Where do I start? I used to rely on MS Project to manage my projects, but I hated it. MS Project is designed as a one-size-fits all program for all projects. The only problem is it is a poor design to solve that problem. MS Project is way too complex and difficult to use. It is feature rich, sure, but you need to read a manual to learn how to leverage all of the features. Smartsheet solves all those problems, for me anyway. It is simple to use. If you know how to use Excel, you can learn Smartsheet's and become fluent in navigating its interface and product in 1 week of regular use. I rely on Smartsheet everyday to help me manage complex projects, budgets, and timelines. I do not know what I would do without having access to the tool anymore. It is my #1 needed tool on the job period.

Cons

The only thing I dislike about the tool is that it is associated with hard work! That being said it solves many of my challenges, and is a fantastic product that enables me to manage complex projects with ease. There is nothing that I truly dislike about SS.

Greg B.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Smartsheet is a TIME SAVER!!!!

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Pros

As an analyst, I contrinute to many different projects on a daily basis and establishing a Smartsheet file to track our progress is a huge benefit. We are able to schedule half as many meetings for updates because the group's status (or lack of) is always available for review. Also, we use the upload function to store many documents in the workbook. Hugely valuable.

Cons

It functions perfectly but the program itself resembles Excel (which we also work with). Perhaps a more elegant and weelcoming display?

Rachel B.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Smartsheet love/hate

Reviewed on 28/06/2021

Overall I think it is a great product and has helped our teams be able to streamline several processes and become more "green" as we do not need to print so many things!

Pros

I like that we can communicate in real time with other departments to get updated information. I also like that the sheets can be used at templates to help create an ease of work and reuse.

Cons

As smartsheet is basically an excel program you would thing the functionality would be the same, however when it comes to formulas you are unable to use a fraction ex. 1/4 instead you have to use the decimal .25 which isn't an extreme issue for most people however when we are communicating with our production teams on sales they need the fraction and we are not forced to enter everything in decimal form which requires they go back and find the fraction. This can take an extreme amount of time in some cases and slows our production team down. Another thing is with the formatting why do you not have the ability to create the same function on multiple rows/columns at once instead of having to do them all individually?

Walter F.
  • Industry: Paper & Forest Products

Great Software for tracking Projects as well as basic inventory Sheet

Reviewed on 08/07/2021

Pros

The Great thing about Smartsheet is how you can add columns with a variety of characteristics to enable you to group the same data together also by creating different sheets and merging the data using Data mesh you can keep track of potential differences in information quickly to make data validation easier

Cons

It is Limited in how many columns Wide it can go and also how many rows each sheet can have. Also it would be good if there was some way to highlight duplicate data

James D.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

An evolution of Excel

Reviewed on 14/07/2020

Smartsheet might be a valuable thingamabob to use for groups of people who got the opportunity to share data day by day. it's anything but difficult to utilize and educate. a reasonable sheet's capacity to store data in a sorted out manner is significant. the ability to shading code cells relying on if a crate is checked or not has been useful. Smartsheet is a wise decision when it includes overseeing information and introducing them in simple to know designs.

Pros

What I incline toward most about the shrewd sheet is that the straightforward use, coordinated effort, and adjustable instruments. it's additionally incredible for including dollar sums identified with various activities all on one communitarian sheet. Smartsheet is direct to share graphs, structures, and so on with others in our undertaking. I especially appreciate the ability to include remarks and connections inside a matrix graph design for direct respect to outside records.

Cons

I don't generally have a terrible word to make reference to about Smartsheet. On the off chance that you perceive the best approach to run it, it's an extremely helpful thingamabob. There are sure highlights that Excel has that I so needed to be prepared to use in Smartsheet.

Tracy R.

Smartsheet saved the day!

Reviewed on 29/09/2021

Smartsheet is a lifesaver! As a former educator/administrator who has moved into project management, Smartsheet provides so many varied opportunities to set up projects and customize within the platform. The support tools provided are AMAZING and the templates really help in set-up. Time saver for sure!

Pros

The setup within Smartsheet is simple and very intuitive. There are multiple ways to access sheets and data and users have the ability to really customize their view to mirror their management style. The ability to add notifications, reminders, update requests, etc. really simplifies aspects that could get overwhelming.

Cons

I don't have any features that I like least at this point. I love the ability to communicate ideas and suggestions to the Smartsheet team for possible implementation in future enhancement phases. If anything, I don't like that I don't have more time to learn more about all of the features and integrations.