Square for Retail Reviews

Square for Retail

POS & inventory management for retail businesses

4.5/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
4.4/5

476 Reviews for UK Users

Maddie
Maddie

Square for small business retail

Reviewed on 22/08/2018

Square was a cheap way for me to reach a larger demographic of people at the markets, it adds to my business's professionalism and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

I love the convenience of swiping a card, I love that it pays out quickly (far quicker than over my website) and it keeps peoples information from past square interactions they've done so you can send them a receipt.

Cons

I would love to have an offline setting so it could save the cards and charge when you reconnect. I don't always have a connection at the markets I'm working. I'm working currently with the smallest square phone connection so I also look forward to updating to the version that accepts debit cards too

Daniel

Excellent Software with Hardware Shortcomings

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

Overall, Square for Retail is a powerful software that allows you to take sales portably with a very small footprint. However, the hardware has catching up to do.

Pros

Square easily handles transactions for our church book stall. It provides up-to-date inventory and online reporting for tax purposes. You can easily add sales, promotions, and other tailor-made functions.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the hardware. We utilize the Square Terminal, which was attractive as a portable register in that it takes credit cards via swipe and chip, but also prints receipts. The optional scanner is even nicer to use. However, for the scanner to work, the terminal must be plugged into an outlet, which robs it of its portable nature. Additionally, adding inventory via the Terminal is cumbersome and slow. Imagine typing in inventory titles using a small smart phone that is slower than a smart phone.

Clover

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Square for Retail was a more reputable brand with better rates via the Terminal and had more attractive hardware in its Terminal product.
Carrie

Terrible Customer Service

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

Square has served it's purpose and opened a new way for transaction processing. Luckily there are now many other options.

Pros

Simple enough to add products and check out.

Cons

After using square POS for a few years, we switched to Shopify bc we also had an online store and needed to consolidate systems. We continued to pay for Square for a year although we were no longer using the system for anything other than to access old orders. When our office manager canceled the paid account, Square no longer allowed us to access the account at all. Our office manager spent several hours and finally got access. We were not informed that all other user accounts would be closed and that the only way to access old records would be through the owner email account. I called square to ask about being locked out of my account and the customer service rep ([SENSITIVE CONTENT]?) was incredibly rude, unhelpful, and sarcastic. I'm happy that we no longer use Square solely based on the customer service. Additionally, the processing fees went up drastically for us when we began offering one CBD product (THC free) out of several hundred products in our store.

Dannyelle
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Online Ordering through Retail

Reviewed on 05/04/2023

Overall great, we use Square throughout our business and it covers our bases. A few flaws that can get frustrating here and there in the matter of being able to customize things to do exactly what we need it to be, but overall it's pretty good!

Pros

We specifically use Square for Restaurants POS system for our taproom system, which also ties into our mobile payments, but we do use Square for Retail as the basis for our online ordering page through Wix, as it works best for hosting that site for orders. It works great, we can track inventory and orders and such, it does what we need it to do!

Cons

Honestly, the only thing I wish was different was that we didn't have to use Retail and could just use Restaurants for our online ordering, but the retails works for it better and it functions so it's fine.

Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

We were already using Square for ever other aspect of our business, so honestly, it makes sense!
Lauren
  • Industry: Automotive

Game changer!

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

I love it! I was searching for months and researching all different types of POS software and hardware and always came back to Square being the best bet. The quality is just there. The ease of use, the sleek feel, great customer service and great rates. I trust Square with my business and so should you!

Pros

I love how easy everything is to setup and use. No crazy long instructions to try to figure out and there aren’t multiple steps for just one thing. So user friendly. Love that everything is in one. Checkout features, inventory, clocking, card processing everything. They offer so much more too than just what I use. Amazing!

Cons

The cost of hardware is kind of pricey but honest the value and quality is there so I can’t really complain!

PayPal Commerce Platform and Clover

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail

I felt like Square was more reliable.

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Again, the overall quality, reviews, rates and great service.
Michelle
  • Used for 1-5 months

Square Use by Non-Profit

Reviewed on 13/03/2020

We chose this software because we needed a way to take credit card payments that didn't involve opening up a web browser on a computer and hand entering in numbers. We use the readers and software to take in person payments at events. This has been such a great improvement to how we used to do it. It has sped up the registration process a lot. it has also given us an easy way to take payments for t shirts and pins at events where we could only take cash previously.

Pros

This was one of the least expensive options for taking credit card payments at events. When we signed up we even got 1 credit card reader for free. (Note that you do need reader 1 fore android phones and 1 for iphones). It was very easy to sign up and we got our card readers very quickly. The software is easy to use. I like that you can have multiple users. Also, a lot of people recognize and trust square so they have no issues providing their cards for scanning.

Cons

We haven't used the service/software for a long enough time to encounter any major bugs. Some cards (older, worn down) have a harder time scanning than others but that is a card issue, not an issue with the scanner.

Eric
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Small little POS at your finger tips

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Its what we needed in a pinch to get sales orders working on the field at events. It worked well for conferences and venues.

Pros

It was easy to setup and start using when you need it. You connect it to your phone and use it as a normal POS you would in a store

Cons

Support isn't always easy to get a hold of and it wouldn't integrate it with our system. This is more for small business use and not for tracking and reporting on analytics.

Shanna

Easy to Use / Track Sales!

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

Overall it is easy for all of our team members to use!

Overall it is easy for all of our team members to use!

Pros

We use square daily to keep track of sold items / integrate inventory / keep track of customers purchases.

Cons

We do not have any cons that come to mind!

Lynn
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great Mobile POS

Reviewed on 03/11/2022

Pros

Cost and set up were both affordable and easy, plus transactions were never an issue on any device or credit card. The processing fees were very reasonable for our use. The reporting features were very straight forward to implement in our CMS tools.

Cons

Nothing!!! Could not find an issue if we wanted to, the hardware and software worked flawlessly.

Laura
  • Industry: Entertainment

The best Point of Purchase credit card processing

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

I am very pleased with Square overall. Compact size, quick processing, and all of my customers are comfortable using it.

Pros

There are so many great features with the Square for retail. The ease of use is at the top of my list. It hooks up with my phone and never misses a beat.

Cons

I have not had any issues using this software. Even when I dont have a signal, it keeps the transaction in que and processes it when a signal is present.

Itzak
  • Industry: Sports

Perfect POS for small business owners

Reviewed on 28/10/2021

Incredibly user friendly, nicely designed interface and overall no issues.

Incredibly user friendly, nicely designed interface and overall no issues.

Pros

Square pretty much takes all the leg work out of setting up a POS system for any business, but I'll speak specifically as a small business owner.
-If you're a first time small business owner, save yourself the headache and just go with Square; you might be able to get a lower merchant fees rate with another service, but then you have to deal with the hassle of setting up a separate POS register, possibly a separate app you'd have to setup on an iPad if that's what you plan to use, setting up the merchant account, etc. With Square, it's all wrapped into one easy setup.
-Easy to setup on an iPad, create a catalog of items to sell and process payments
-The item catalog screen is very user friendly and customizable
-Doing refunds is easy
-Reports are incredibly easy to run
-Square integrates with QuickBooks online, so it's been seamless to link all my Square sales to my accounting books and makes my tax filings much more accurate
-Creating invoices is also easy and gives a professional look to my invoice emails
-Ability to create forms that require signature, so no need for another digital signature service (unless you need more details, see Cons below)

Cons

-I wish you could have the same virtual terminal on the iPad on desktop as well. There have been times when my iPad crapped out and had to use my laptop, and it's not the same experience.
-If you're using the signature service for forms that you need to send out, it only records the signature itself and nothing else. Either it's a user error on my part, or they need to update it, but it needs more customization.

Michael
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Let Square free You

Reviewed on 02/06/2022

I Get paid without having to run around the office

I Get paid without having to run around the office

Pros

I love that I can use my Square terminal anywhere. Whether I am at an event or in the back room, I can get paid.

Cons

I do find that sometimes the payouts can be confusing

Elevate

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail

cost ease of use. I got tired of going to my computer to check patients out

Cost and ease of use
Elizabeth

Square Payments Processing is a good credit card processing system

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Square is very convenient specially attending off-site events. We were able to get it up and going at any time. Other Points of Sales software is very clunky when it comes to a mobile application. Because of the versatility and ease of use, we do recommend it for small businesses.

Pros

Square is a payment processing system with supporting systems such as Point of Sale. We initially did the trial period to determine if it meets our requirements. It was very user-friendly and easy to use. The training was easy for the staff. If we had any issues, customer support from Square was always available. Sometimes we did have a short wait, but issues were always resolved.

Cons

Square didn't have a many features as other Point of Sales software. Reporting and analytics were pretty limited. The software did have some, but not as much as we needed.

Support was available, but sometimes we had to wait to get help.

Edgar
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Small business turned Large with Square

Reviewed on 11/01/2022

Square has helped my business scale to greater heights, more than I could have imagined. The POS is a great addition. My favorite feature is the management of customers, receipts, and automated thank you messages. If I was not using Square but ran into someone using it, I would surely be jumping ship.

Pros

Square is free and easy to maneuver. With no experience, Square appointments made it easy to start my business and manage it. Customers can book on the platform and I can manage appointments and inventory, as well as run my website.

Cons

Square is easily the first choice for anyone trying to start a business. However, some features may seem a challenge to access without any guidance or guide. An example is learning about taxes being applied the first time I used the POS system. Coincidentally, the party I was conducting business with was a tax-exempt business and I had no idea how to bypass the tax.

A great tool for any small business

Reviewed on 15/08/2018

Pros

Both interfaces are very easy to use. There are many features to make your business look professional, like sending receipts via email and text and asking for feedback after a transaction. Adding line items is very easy, which is convenient for businesses that are changing prices or items frequently.

Cons

As much as I love this product it could definitely still use some tweaking. The biggest complaint is the fact that you are forced to buy multiple card readers for your iPad because they stop reading cards after a while which subsequently forces you to enter the card manually which you are then charged more money for.

Kimberly
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Love it!

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

It's been great! No problem other than the name issue.

It's been great! No problem other than the name issue.

Pros

Super easy to use and phenomenal customer service! I've had it for 6 months and never had a problem with the software.

Cons

No cons except, there is no way to change your name with square. I got divorced and wanted to change my last name on square after I had it legally changed and they said I would have to start a new account from scratch. So now I'm stuck with that last name for my business.

Jay

Payments on the go!

Reviewed on 10/01/2022

Bang for buck this wins hands down and I recommend it for everyone, no more big expensive machines to carry around

Pros

Running a hire company, receiving payments on delivery is required on a daily, the square system is amazing can keep in your pocket and works every time. build quality is important it’s been dropped a few times and still works fine, also charge life is awesome, only needs charging every few months!

Cons

Fees, but you get fees with any eftpos option, bonus here is no monthly fee

Jessica

Simple to use, good interface

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

Pros

Its very simple to use and train new employees on. Reports are easy to run and can get most data that you need. Allows you to communicate with customers.
They are continuing evolving and adding new features.

Cons

Wish there was a way to take a deposit for future orders (placed online or on the phone) so the sales are applied to the date they are picked not the day we take the payment. For advance orders, available pick up times are based on your hours of operations. Wish we could limit that depending on what is being ordered.

Laly Noya
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Square for Retail

Reviewed on 28/11/2023

Since using Square for Retail my business has been running efficiently. Also, my customers are able to purchase without any hassle.

Pros

I love using Square for Retail software. This software makes it easier for my customers to shop.

Cons

I don’t dislike anything about using this software.

Kahlil
  • Industry: Wholesale

Best POS system on the market today!!!

Reviewed on 31/05/2021

My overall experience with Square for Retail has been great. Compared to other services it is head and shoulders above the competition and it seems like it will remain this way for the foreseeable future.

Pros

Square for Retail adds a professional look to any small business. It helps raise the sales of your business while finding unique ways to reduce costs. It is a highly customizable app that can be tailored to the specific needs of your small business.

Cons

The only thing that I dislike is the processing fee payment structure that they offer. It is a bit higher than other platforms, but the convenience and ease-of-use of the platform makes it worth it.

Matt
Matt

One of my core software solutions

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Pros

I use Square almost daily for my coffee roasting company. Its easy to use, easy to train others to use, and easy to customize for my ever changing inventory.

Cons

Sometimes I wish the Square app had the same functionality as the Square website. For example, invoices are easier to work with on the web vs. working with them on the app. You can't print invoices from the app, yet you can from the web interface. Just little things like that. Not huge, but minor annoyances.

Lisa
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Now i spend my days enjoying my job

Reviewed on 14/07/2021

again spending my time doing more valuable things lets me grow my business instead of counting tee shirts

Pros

This feature is amazing, it takes a little time to set up, but time well invested. I no longer spend my days counting inventory, just look on the system and current count of all products right there.

Cons

cant say any cons here. We are a water sports concession. Offering hats, sunscreen, phone dry bags etc

Nathan
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Great payment processing with little headache

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Great. Easy to use with quick payment transfer and straightforward fees.

Great. Easy to use with quick payment transfer and straightforward fees.

Pros

Easy to implement and can use on multiple devices. Can also accept multiple forms of payment and not restrict clients to only paying cash.

Cons

Occasionally have difficulty getting software to connect with internet to process cards and the chip/contactless reader will sometimes not want to connect to the device.

Justin

Get Paid Now!

Reviewed on 23/08/2019

Square has made us more money. We do not have to spend time waiting to be paid anymore. 10/10 recommend.

Pros

We love the ease of use for both us and the client. We used to have to wait for payment via check and sometimes we'd have to follow up with clients for months without getting paid. Now when our technicians are wrapped up in the field.. they have the client pay instantly using their mobile phones with card reader. No more waiting for payments!

Cons

Square is a great software and clients trust it. There is nothing that is negative about Square. Love it.

Tin
  • Industry: Photography

Square

Reviewed on 10/08/2018

Pros

I love that it's so easy to send invoices in just a second! It keeps track of your clients names and client info, services, invoices etc which is such a timesaver! I can look st a glance and know what invoices have been paid and which ones need to send again.

Cons

I would love there to be a way to enter services in so you don't have to type it in each time when making an invoice.