Onshape

Full-cloud 3D CAD system for design teams

4.5 /5 (286 reviews) Write a Review!
4.5
Felix J.
Industry: Accounting

Great Software for 3D Parametric CAD and Easily Accessible

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

Overall, using OnShape has been a walk in the park. The user experience of it was fluid, even on a 6 year old Macbook Pro on base specs, not something I could say about Solidworks or AutoCAD. It is fully featured and not having to worry about files, using the built-in cloud integration is great. I would not hesitate to recommend OnShape to anyone interested in picking up CAD or even small CAD shops.

Pros

Coming into the 3D printing world as a student hobbyist, OnShape was a wonderful introduction to 3D CAD and modeling concepts. It was easy and intuitive to pick up (without an engineering degree), and their instructions videos detailed all the primary features you will need. I am by no means a CAD or engineering professional, so I speak to this software from purely a hobbyist and 3D printing nerd standpoint. It was easy for me to pick up and learn, and the fact that the software operated on a browser (I use Safari) was amazing. The cloud integration was solid and robust, albeit only allowing public models and documents on free accounts. I was able to log into any workstation near me and be able to pull up a model and work on it. The decoupling of compute and processing power from the base hardware was also refreshing when it came to unknown pieces of hardware. In my makerspace, I primarily operated on not-so-amazing machines compared to my home workstation, so the ability to be portable and rely on cloud processing was nice.

There wasn't really anything I wanted to do from a basic parametric 3D CAD software that I couldn't do on OnShape. From the few years, I've been using it, they are also constantly improving the features available and also refining the user interface. Admittedly, the versioning system which comprised of different branches was a little unexpected in ​CAD software​ but is very paralleled to code-versioning software like Git.

Cons

The hardest part about the software was being able to find other people who used it to teach you about it. Being rather new to the CAD scene, OnShape does have as widespread ​adoption as SolidWorks or AutoCAD, so being able to find others who used it was challenging. Ultimately though, with the decent amount of support documentation detailing the features and some very helpful forum posts, the lack of user experiences could be overlooked. The interface and usage is also quite different from the traditional CAD's was also a bit of a challenge, if you eventually find yourself migrating or using one from time to time.

The lack of private projects with free accounts is also a bummer, but not a major issue by any means.

Florian W.
Industry: Utilities

A new approach to CAD

Reviewed on 20/06/2020

Pros

The one thing you won't need when using Onshape is that foam ball to squeeze or throw through the room. Every CAx user usually has one. This is because Onshape is so portable, stable and reliable. It is a solid solid modeler with some very thought through features that are tested with the community before deploying it into the wild. The integrated PDM is something you will never get for the same cost from others.

Cons

It is first and foremost a solid modeling CAD. Don't expect electrical, piping, and complex bspline surfaces. The integrated app store will make up for that.

Peter B.
Industry: Construction

Onshape v Solidworks

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

Abysmal quality of training meant that the software was unusable

Pros

Shareability. The idea that customers could directly interact was a great sales point

Cons

Failure to provide credible training. Software is not bought for the technical advances or features. These are almost certainly offered in whole or in part by the competition. It is training and support that differentiates competitors. Onshape training is totally inadequate in my experience.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Jeremy L.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Very good software for mechanical design and design sharing/team design projects

Reviewed on 15/08/2017

Design agility and speed are the largest benefits I see. We are a smaller company and work with a larger number of outside vendors for manufacturing and engineering work. This has by far made that process much easier and eliminated the wasted time and money associated with giving an outside firm access to our vault for file transfer. It is very nice to be able to collaborate in real time with the outside world, both on the design and manufacturing side, by simply sharing a file with a person, company or team (internal of external).

Pros

I like the features and ease of reusing existing geometry. It easily allows for multi-body part modeling and enables the parts to be treated as individual parts with their own properties etc. The architecture of program makes it one of the fastest I have ever used for conceptual design and then easily transitions the designs into production.

Cons

The learning curve switching from solidworks/pro-E was a little steeper than I anticipated but, once we made the switch, the benefits really started to payoff. Although it can import and edit 2D dwg type files, it is not a good solution or does not have the ability to create 2D as easily as an autocad program when creating schematics or the like (the drawing package for documenting Onshape files is very functional).

Response from Onshape

Thanks for the positive review, Jeremy! We're looking forward to working closer with you and the team over the next few months.

Matthew B.
Industry: Industrial Automation

We've been a user since the days of beta, allows us to work no matter where we're at

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

It allows us to more rapidly develop our integrated robotic workers than competing systems. The ability to have the customers log directly into the model from anywhere and do a quick design review and make changes on the fly while tracking them is a huge benefit especially since our customers are located across the country.

Pros

Cloud based CAD that can be ran on a multitude of platforms from PC/Mac to mobile. Ability to collaborate with our team and customer in real time with multiple individuals working simultaneously in the application. Rapid development of the platform with new releases on a regular and rapid basis

Cons

Lack of offline caching causes Models to need to be reloaded when experiencing poor network coverage such as riding down the interstate while working on a customer design

Response from Onshape

Hi Matthew. Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. I'd love to catch up since it's been a few weeks since we spoke. Do you have some time next week to chat?

Michael B.
Industry: Machinery

Excellent CAD package that is accessible to everyone!

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

Pros

Cloud based software brings a whole new dimension to CAD. I am now able to design something on one computer and easily pull it up anywhere else without the need for installing huge software packages. The costumer support is also second to none! I have nothing but good things to say about the team at OnShape.

Cons

The cons are few and far between, but if I had to select one it would be the ability to handle large assemblies or feature trees. Huge strides have already been made to make the renderings faster, but it is still an area for improvement.

Response from Onshape

Hi Michael- Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. Your feedback has been so valuable to us. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything we can help with!

Joris V.
Industry: Research

Really the first parametric affordable software.

Creating shareable professional 3D model which meets the industry standards

Pros

As I work at a FabLab we used to work with open source, free or affordable software. Until a few years ago there was no parametric [and userfriendly] option available. I like the setup/crossover of solidworks and google docs. The non experienced cad user can view and eventually also edit since he gets used to the interface gradually [first share, then change small things and eventually create new things]

Cons

sometime it is a bit slow, especially when the models get more complex I sometimes think if stand alone CAD software might be better, but the ease of sharing with 'noobs' is a great pro for us.

Tago K.
Industry: Industrial Automation

After struggling with SolidWorks for few years I feel that there is breath of fresh air in market :)

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

Cloud, file managment, easy to increase team size, sharing options.

Pros

Browser based system, meaning I don't have to sit behind PC to all tasks. Meaning I don't care what computer I have at friends house - I can go be 99% sure I can access my files.

Don't have to worrie about where my files are - no sync issues!

And Support. Every question and trouble what I had has been answered fastly and 90% with result. Rest of 10% has been sent to development notes and 90% of that has turned into feature/option later on :)

Cons

Cloud based system was hard to sell to my boss. With slow internet speed it's amazingly hard to work...but you are only option in market at all what I can use outside of office.

Michael S.
Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

It's great value and has good functionality

Reviewed on 19/08/2017

Its great CAD functionality. Cloud storage. Powerful document and version control.

Pros

Ease of use. Capability to create complex parts and assemblies. Excellent document and version control. As good as any of the other professional CAD packages i have used in the past.

Cons

No mid range pricing option. Always need an internet connection to use it. But this hasn't proved a huge problem.

Response from Onshape

Thanks for the great review, Michael! I'm happy to hear you've been enjoying Onshape so far. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or if there's anything I can help with.

Geoffrey F.
Industry: Sporting Goods

Over all I am very happy with the product and its features with a couple of key issues to be sorted.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 11/08/2017

Portability of my design data.
Easy collaboration with my colleagues.
Effortless and thoughtless retention and backing up of data.
Effortless and thoughtless version control.

Pros

Fantastic feature rich environment with a high degree of usability.
The git style version control and remote access are easily the most valuable features.
The tool goes well beyond a basic feature set and dives into a number of more complex areas. The ever growing feature capability.

Cons

The cost model still lacks a dedicated "startup" level where IP is protected but service (file count or size?) is limited. This pricing tier is critical to startup companies who cannot afford to spend most of their operating budget on even the Onshape business plan.

The lack of windows touch and pen support (specifically the Microsoft surface) at this stage is startling. I've read the forums where it is said to be a limitation of the operating system it self but I'm having a hard time understanding that. Google Maps has figured this out so the capability is there.

Duncan Q.
Industry: Renewables & Environment
Company size: Self Employed

OnShape is the future of 3D CAD. The SolidWorks engineers mutinied the ship for the good of us all.

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

Cloud 3D CAD. No local machine crash or power outage can affect your work. Switch computers, or switch to a iPad or phone any time. No saving your work.

Pros

Runs on any platform. Low cost. Professional 3D CAD is now free to the hobbyist and cheap for professionals. No massive annual fee like AutoDesk or SolidWorks. In a few years they will be gone. Neither can adapt to cloud CAD fast enough to catch up with OnShape, and they have the baggage of giant corporations to carry. No chance.

Cons

Still a new product. Features are being added regularly. Struggles in performance with large circular and linear arrays.

Jeremy D.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Fairly easy to use after a lot of training. Extremely frustrating at times. Sad emoji.

Reviewed on 15/02/2018

none that i could not get in a more professional software

Pros

The fastener mate command is useful. I also like the documentation set up. It makes it easy to find parts specific to an assembly I create. They finally implemented the configuration option which is helpful. That is about it though

Cons

I do not like part studio set up. Inserting parts into a part studio get extremely frustrating when I insert said part studio into an assembly and it inserts all the parts in the part studio without their orientation towards each other and they do not follow the tramsform command. It also inserts the parts individually. I also loathe that when (about 20% of the time) I make a drawing for an assembly it does not transfer all the information and will add lines that are not there and omit lines that should be there. From a production stand point this is impossible to work around and makes our documentation look like a joke. Their customer service told me they are working on it over 2 months ago and it still happens and then they told me I needed to remove all the hardware (about 100 pieces) one at a time until i found the culprit. They also told me to leave it out in the drawing which also doesn't work for me. The branching of workflows is also frustrating when multiple people are working on something and the document will not allow a merge. The document ends up being left and no one knows which branch is active.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Adam M.
Industry: Automotive

I have been using Onshape as the primary CAD system of my startup company for two years

Reviewed on 15/08/2017

Good value cad package where I can work from anywhere without even thinking of files and versions, integrates well with cloud google apps.

Pros

In context editing is very nice, and allows for new design practices without risk of circular references. Modelling and sketching tools are straightforward and efficient. Direct DXF export is great to go to production quickly.

Cons

Speed is sometimes an issue when linking different docs or working on huge part studio. The sheet metal tools could be more robust to support mirroring and more complex operations.

Bo P.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Continuously impressed with new features.

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

Its a great cad software for rapid design, collaboration, and final engineering

Pros

I like the ability to work collaboratively. The drawing features make for professional deliverables to clients.

Cons

Runs slowly at higher complexity models. Could use some more presentation and collaboration tools like screen capture notations and notes tied to parts or features.

Rick D.
Industry: Mining & Metals

Excellent Program, powerful and easy use. Support is prompt and helpful

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

We can develop drawings and dxf's and order material cut to size and pressed to shape. This saves us money and time .

Pros

Fast and easy to use and learn, the platform has multi user capability and you can work together on projects. All of your drawings are saved in one location. Updates are clearly communicated and presented well.

Cons

Occasionally we struggle with internet due to our location and without internet it does not work. Sometimes bigger drawings take a long time to react to commands

Bukola S.

Cloud based CAD for everyone.

Reviewed on 01/07/2018

Pros

Because Onshape is cloud based, users are saved the stress of installing software which can be a very stressful experience with some software.Everyone in my organizations technical department have access to the most current version of every file , saving us the confusion of having to always confirm the version of every file we need to use.Editing ,collaboration , file recovery ,access,and files storage is simplified ; all of these thanks to Onshape for being cloud based.

Cons

No complaint whatsoever from my experience with Onshape. I only wish I was aware of this program 3-4 year ago.

Arden P.
Industry: Design

good secure cad modeling, still lacks some of fusions plane generating and axis making

flexible and reliable cad

Pros

tools are intuitive to a work flow, sketch tools are unintrusive and easily manged. surface modeling is picming up very well and drawings have come a long way

Cons

doesnt have a good free fea. fusion 360 costs me about 1 to 2 months of onshape and lasts for a whole year. also i cant scale in specified directions. its only uniformly. more attention should be given to having key base tools that give a wide range of skills easily.

Steven S.
Industry: Consumer Goods

Very impressed

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

I'm able to do everything I need design-wise within OnShape. The cloud storage, mobile support, and sharing options are great add ons.

Pros

I was able to pick it up very quickly with my SolidWorks experience, and it seems to be the most economical option for my small business.

Cons

The only cons I can think to list are that even though it's the most economical option out there, it is still expensive for a small business like mine. There have only been a handful of times I wanted to do something, and the functionality wasn't there. But I was always able to find a suitable work around.

Austin M.

This is a great browser enable cad package that packs a punch!

Reviewed on 06/04/2018

Pros

Being a browser-based software enables access on any device with an internet connection. Features are streamlined and efficient. Ability to customize and create custom features. New tools added every couple weeks.

Cons

Internet speed can limit you modeling capabilities. Not a lot of documentation on writing feature scripts for non-coders. Surfacing tools are limited.

Jason J.
Industry: Design

The collaboration and file management of the future

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 10/08/2017

File management collaboration and less constraints.

Pros

File management and collaboration of the future! Mates are more efficient. Studio space that allows largely static assemblies to be designed in context without making the mess of SolidWorks is great.

Cons

Very efficent tools, but workflow is a little encumbered by simpler menu options than competition. As the pricing continues to rise, it become hard to justify purchasing licenses to work in parallel with SolidWorks. Please do not remove month by month subscriptions. This is the most compelling cost feature that can enable flexible teams.

Richard W.
Industry: Automotive

I now use OnShape as my primary design software at a startup motorcycle manufacturing company.

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

Great, inexpensive, and functional design and project management platform.

Pros

Great alternative to more expensive platforms and it is rewarding to be a part of a growing and responsive new software that shakes up the industry.

Cons

OnShape does not have all the functionality of its competitors, but is building more functionality in on a monthly basis.

Response from Onshape

Hi Richard! Thank you for taking the time to review Onshape. I'm glad to hear you're continuing to have a great experience. Please let me know if I can help with any questions at this point!

Gage W.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Familiar with many other packages. 1st MCAD user at new company. Pleasantly surprised by the cloud.

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

Pros

OnShape's features are typically easy, faster, and more intuitive to use than other CAD packages and are supported by very approachable documentation.

No worries about versioning, saving, or sharing.

Always getting new features means its easier to stay personally up to date with the latest functionality.

Cons

Some key functionality is still lacking (namely advanced sheet metal).

It seems to know when I'm trying to show it off and run more slowly.

Josh L.

Went from free version doing home projects, to using the paid version for a tech startup.

Reviewed on 10/08/2017

Pros

Cloud-based, which enables access from almost any PC or tablet, collaboration with remote people, and easy sharing of designs for feedback from team.

Cons

The feature set is still being fleshed out, so I occasionally hit something I either can't do, or have to kludge a workaround.

Wade K.
Company size: Self Employed

Already great CAD software and getting better fast.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 11/08/2017

Pros

My previous experience was with Autodesk Product Design Suite and Vault Professional. Onshape eliminates the file management and IT overhead and brings some new concepts in multibody modeling and version control that greatly increases design efficiency. All for a price considerably less than the competition.

Cons

Very little to dislike. There are some major differences in modeling in Onshape vs Inventor, etc. which take some getting used to. Onshape will require internet connection but this has never been a real issue for me.

Silas H.
Industry: Consumer Electronics

OnShape is magic. It's what I always dreamed CAD could be.

Reviewed on 15/08/2017

No longer tied to any machine; my CAD moves with me everywhere to any machine.

Pros

Runs on any machine, never loses my work, is stupid easy to share, and allows me to modify solid model geometry made in other software.

Cons

Dealing with assemblies or studios with 100+ bodies. It doesn't matter if I computer with a unicorn for a CPU and GPU, OnShape still becomes unbearable slow with full assemblies.