Hive

The world's first democratically built software platform.

4.4/5

161 Reviews for UK Users

Robert
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

The Only Project Management Software with the Features I need

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Pros

Hive is the only project management software that is cloud collaborative, has infinite sub tasks, and Gantt charts so it was an easy choice. Also it is not Microsoft Project so I don't have to deal with their insane billing methods.

Chatting inside tasks or letting task owners turn sub tasks into their own projects is great. Everyone can keep up with who is working on what and who needs help or what is holding up the project. Sign in and billing is super easy.

Support is extremely reactive when I have questions. There is a bunch of stats on task completion that I don't use, but look useful.

Cons

The mobile app has significantly reduced functionality compared to desktop.

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Hive is even more user-friendly, easier to use as a forum for communication and a great price too.

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Hive was the only option with the collaborative features and task organization that I wanted.
Sadie

Thank you Hive for making our business run seamlessly!

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

Hive has made communication between our company's team easy. Now, we don't have to constantly call each other, have follow-up meetings, and walk into each other's offices. We can simply log into Hive and see who is doing what. We know when things are due and what needs to be done next. Because of Hive communication is easy so we can focus on getting jobs done for clients and getting them done on time.

Pros

Hive is ridiculously user friendly. I like most how our team can collaborate on different tasks and we all know who is doing what and when. We also know when everything is due and what is to be done next. It makes communication and completing tasks practically effortless. Now we can focus less on the lists and to-do's because of Hive; now, we have more time to focus on actually completing the tasks themselves. Because of Hive, we can get jobs completed for customers on time. I also really like the time clock feature, where we can log our hours for different tasks and clients. Plus, anytime I have questions or troubles, the Hive customer support team is right there, ready to help. I can't rave about Hive enough.

Cons

I honestly have nothing that I least like about this software. It's an amazing product that myself and our company uses every day.

Sudhir

An effective collaborative tool for managing projects and tasks in detail

Reviewed on 21/06/2022

As a result of Hive's unique workflow planning and management software suite, the team was able to keep track of all the details and monitor all the tasks, as well as raise the attention on due dates and priorities by each team member and clients on a regular basis.

Pros

Hive allows the development of the team's capabilities to follow up on all projects on one system, as it provides us with enough flexibility to display different information in detail about all our projects independently or at once. Hive, through its capabilities to promote effective communication between team members, enables them to be familiar with all the details of workflow plans and also all the requirements of different tasks. I like in Hive the ease of preparing work schedules, and also the automatic update of the start and end dates of activities, and it is equipped with several views, enabling you to get a distinct view of work programs. Hive enables you through the project dashboard to know all the information you need, and also for each member of the team to know the tasks to be followed up and the dates for closing them.

Cons

Not a lot of complications, Hive is very easy to use and all members can do their jobs directly through it. I just find that Hive needs more automation, especially with regard to updating the start and end dates of missions, also some improvements must be added with regard to search options, because in the current situation we cannot reach accurate results.

Jeff
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Close But Not Quite

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Timely response to chat logs. It would be a great product if the e-mail integration actually added value to ones workflow.

Pros

Intuitive, easy to navigate. Many useful features you would expect with a project collaboration tool.

Cons

Gmail attachments make into to the HIVE e-mail interface only about half of the time. Of those that do make it into HIVE about 65% must be downloaded rather than simply read. Hive will read a g.doc via Drive but all other attachments must be downloaded. If you create an action from the Hive e-mail and want to work on the documents that are attached, you would have to download and reattach the the documents to the action card. That renders HIVE e-mail integration about useless if you get a lot of e-mails with attachments. For me Hive is a no go for that reason. But, also because only half of the attachments even make into Hive to begin with.

monday.com and Asana

?? I switched.

I am not choosing Hive.
Jennifer

Fantastic Project Management Tool for Agencies

Reviewed on 07/05/2022

Pros

The intuitive nature of Hive's functionality makes it easy for anyone to use and to quick to onboard and learn. The ability to move between different views allows users to the program in their favorite mode. Once you've set up templates it makes building cadenced projects even more simple.

Cons

I would love to see the ability to quote jobs added to Hive - it would help eliminate another program we use at the Agency.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Hive was built by Agencies for Agencies and has better functions needed specifically by Agencies.

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Monday was too complicated.
Christopher

Love Hive!!

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Organization, costing, task management. The Hive app and mobile are also awesome!

Pros

We are a small digital marketing firm. We had tried other programs, but Hive had the best package of support, collaboration and work flow!

Cons

Time tracking needs some work, but that is eclipsed by the wonders of version control and mark up of assets prior to approval.

Rodeo, monday.com and Accelo

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Trello was getting expensive. We get more with Hive.

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Best package of features for the price. The collaboration tool and markup of assets thru the approval process sold us.
Frank X.

Truly Insightful Project Management for Agencies

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Pros

The multiple team and dashboard views are a difference maker for our team, as well as the agency view which helps us anticipate and overcome potential bottlenecks.

Cons

The mobile app is not nearly as robust as the desktop version.

Microsoft Teams and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Kept Workamajig for finance, switched to Hive for for PM.

Workamajig

Reasons for Switching to Hive

User-experience, flexibility, & customer service.

best tool for management projects

Reviewed on 24/06/2022

my overall experience with the hive is that it is profitable

Pros

What I like about this tool is that it helps to see the weaknesses of our company in terms of management and helps us to improve them.

Cons

what I would like to see again in hive is that the mobile application is full of few features compared to the computer one

• Industry: Design

Creative PM Software You've Been Looking For!

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

Pros

Love the ease of use and how simple it is to get started. Its just customizable enough but not so much that it scares you away.

Cons

Hive seems to be nacent compared to other popular softwares on the market. As they grow I hope the solve some of the missing features.

Ajay
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Excellent for PM and Collaboration

Reviewed on 27/06/2022

Pros

Hive makes collaboration and task management easy and efficient with a variety of highly useful features and a good quality UI.

Cons

No major issues experienced with hive so far.

Lindsey

Good and Bad, but Mostly Good

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

Overall, Hive works for our Marketing team and customer service is exceptional (especially [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]).

The biggest frustration is that we tested a few systems and chose Hive because it combined messaging, we liked the look of it, and the ability to link external apps if desired. The ultimate reason we chose Hive, though, was because when tested, projects with a date range for a due date showed up at the beginning of that range, which is exactly what we needed and no other system did that. However, a month after we switched and installed, that changed and they now show on the due date which causes issues (and extra messages and meetings) for our team to make sure stuff is being worked on proactively.

We've had a large amount of issues with recurring actions and auto-snooze as mentioned above and I've reported it several times.

We've had Hive around 8-10 months and just went through redoing our entire workspace to hopefully make it more streamlined due to the systemic issues we were having. With that, I'll say there are several ways to utilize Hive and you can find what fits for your team.

So overall, good and bad - mostly good.

Pros

For our team of five, the most beneficial features are: ability to assign two people, ability to color code projects, ability to track time within a task, ability to add approvers within a task, direct and group messaging within the app (replaced separate use of Slack), Notes and ability to share them, and the "status" and "table" views for projects.

Cons

For our team, we have had repeat issues with recurring actions not functioning correctly, specifically with auto-snoozing actions and sub actions (even past their due date) as well as due dates when we try to update recurring actions. We shifted our set-up and re-entered all actions at one point to try and workaround the need for a recurring action. We also prefer for actions with a date range for a due date to show up as of the start of that date range so we know how many days we have to work on something, however they show up the day it's due.

FunctionFox, VOGSY, monday.com and Ravetree

Reasons for Choosing Hive

The setup within Asana wasn't beneficial for everyone and due dates were being missed. We also needed a system we could communicate within rather than the team communicating through Slack and Email outside of the system. We liked that Hive had different ways to view projects so each team member can choose what works for them and that communication could be integrated.

Reasons for Switching to Hive

I explained this in the overall feedback section. :)

Response from Hive Technology

Thanks for your review, Lindsey! We're happy to hear that Hive is a helpful tool for your marketing team. Your feedback is also appreciated, and will be passed along to the product team here at Hive. Cheers!

Bram

Easy project management

Reviewed on 31/03/2020

Hive has been a great help in keeping an overview of all the different projects that run simultaneously. Assigning tasks, checking off to-do lists and tracking time is what I use Hive for on a daily basis, and with great pleasure!

Pros

The software is really easy to use - and very friendly to the eyes and mind. I love using the Gantt-chart option when setting up projects, to keep a nice overview of the status of a project.

For employees to be able to switch project views is an excellent tool too, because not everyone needs the overview like me.

Cons

What I like least is the way integration with email and Slack is done. It definitely works, and probably like charm knowing the team and the software, but it sits on a rather small portion of the screen and makes the rest of the app a lot smaller, too.

Trello, monday.com, Asana and HubSpot CRM

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Hive just started out when I got my subscription - and it promised a great deal. Being a start-up myself, I felt motivated to go with a project management tool that was just starting out. I stuck with Hive over the past few months because they deliver on their promises.

Response from Hive Technology

Hi Bram,

Thanks for leaving a review of Hive! We're thrilled that you've been loving Gantt. If there's ever anything we can do for you, feel free to reach out at [email protected]

Best,
The Hive Team

Stephen Brent

The project management product we were looking for

Reviewed on 19/03/2020

Pros

We looked at and tested several project management options and had used several in the past. Hive was never on our radar and unfortunately isn't as well known, but we discovered it through the WeWork employee portal and gave it a try. The set up was simple, it offered flexibility in terms of how you view and sort projects. It also allowed us to add external users without paying for a seat. This was extremely important because we want our clients to have access to our project boards, but we don't need full functionality for them.

While it wasn't available when we first started using it, the addition of time tracking was a huge bonus for us as an agency, and Hive continues to impress us by adding additional features and functionality. When it comes to support, they are extremely responsive and in the rare times we have had to utilize support, issues have been resolved to satusfaction.

Cons

I wish there was a native integration with HubSpot, but we're able to get around that with Zapier.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Asana did not offer pricing for less than 5 users and at the time, we only needed 2-3. We needed the additional functionality that came with the paid version but couldn't justify paying for seats that were going to go unused for an undetermined amount of time.

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Part of the reason was that they offered a discount to companies that worked at a WeWork location, but it was also easy to set up and use during the trial period.
Michelle
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Overall good, can tell quirks are getting worked out as the product grows and evolves.

Reviewed on 31/03/2020

Overall it has been good. We have watched the program evolve and have definitely noticed improvements in ease of use and functionality. Several questions/ functional issues that I have had and expressed through surveys and chats have been modified/corrected, so it's good to see that the company is actually paying attention to how people are using it.

Pros

-Multiple methods of tracking and organizing projects.
-Easy for multiple people to see what needs to be done on a project
-timelines make is easy to see where a project is going
-chats make it easy to keep shared notes available to everybody
-The time tracking feature is a nice addition. We are still getting the hang of using it effectively, but I think it is a good addition.

Cons

-Definitely don't like the new blue expansion boxes in the Gnatt view. Too easy to rename/delete something
-Can't see my notes on Hive mobile.
-Wish the green "complete" mark bubbles could change color depending on what the status of an item is.
-I don't understand why the subactions of a phase don't stay condensed/expanded as I left them, instead of randomly expanding/condensing upon close & reopen of a project.
-Wish there was an option of deleting all the subactions when a phase is deleted, instead of having them appear in a different phase then have to delete each one manually, individually.
-I'm not sure if I'm missing an option, or if there is a bug, but it seems like dependencies don't always make the things they are attached to, move together. Maybe I just need a more through explanation of how the feature works.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Nice IU, has awesome apps as add ons.

Reviewed on 07/03/2021

Great tool, Awesome User interface, wide variety of features. HIVE must try to include individual based pricing for organizations as each user requirements differ in a diverse organization and HIVE could end up losing in this competitive field. HIVE should come up with AI based tools to assist along with its existing project management framework.

Pros

Great user interface. Ease of use, can get started easily, lots of features and add on apps. Add action cards to project via email and assign users to the action card.

Cons

Too expensive. We need to pay the same price for all users, the price of the version with the most apps and features- even if many users may not use those features.

That there is no AI based offering, a smart AI based offering that could read the emails and automatically create projects/action cards and assign users to the action cards/projects. We have to manually do that, I think HIVE has the capability to evolve to this point.

Response from Hive Technology

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you enjoy using Hive, and that you find our interface so appealing and easy to use. I will make sure to pass along your other feedback about price and AI to the appropriate teams here at Hive. Cheers!

Jeff

A Great Tool For An Old Dog Who's Still Learning New Tricks

Reviewed on 24/03/2020

All jobs are run through Hive so we solve all our team productivity, scheduling and asset sharing (not final assets but briefs, notes, schedules, background documents, comps, etc) through the tool. We do not currently use the tool for client interaction, sharing or as an approval mechanism although we would like to.

Pros

I very much like the ablility to integrate IM, email and the productivity capabilities into one tool. It's a fantastic way to keep a 360-degree record of every job.

Cons

I do find that there is a huge learning curve for someone like me. I've been in this business for a long time but have always relied on others in supporting roles like traffic and production. Working for a small company where I am now responsible for everything from strategy to implementation and project management is a big challenge in and of itself. But learning the software on top of that does take time. It's not necessarily intuitive for someone like me that hasn't used other productivity software. Finding help and instructional videos to help me learn the basics and progress is somewhat difficult. I find myself spending lots of time sifting through the blog, doing Google and YouTube searches and reaching out through he tool's chat capability (often times it takes several hours to get a response). I wish there was a channel with all the videos that were well organized into a series of tutorials that would get you up and running quickly. I do a lot of trial and error and "learn by doing" on the platform. Again, because I'm a newbie, I suspect that would be the same no matter which tool I was using and probably isn't an issue for my younger, software native, brethren.

Mohammed

The appropriate collaborative option for managing various types of projects.

Reviewed on 03/02/2022

Hive helped us plan our projects more accurately and generate executable work plans that allowed us to follow the implementation stages and adjust tasks more flexibly. I strongly urge everyone to use it and take advantage of its collaborative and remote working features. Support is quick to respond and address difficulties when we have needed it.

Pros

Hive is more user-friendly, and one of the easiest project management platforms to set up and use, all for a low monthly fee. We were able to include customers and stakeholders on the same subscription, which helped us to accurately collect their opinion, especially in the planning stages and development of work schedules. In summary, it is a powerful collaborative tool that keeps everyone informed of project developments and assigns roles fairly, ensuring that all participants contribute according to their expertise.

Cons

Hive is ideal for a wide range of projects and comes at a very reasonable price. It is simple and flexible enough to manage all stages of the project life cycle.

Response from Hive Technology

Thank you for leaving this review, Mohammed! Your feedback helps us know what we are doing right and what we can improve on. We are so happy to hear that Hive has been beneficial to your team, and we thank you for being a vital part of the Hive community!

Lee
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Hive: The app that pulls it altogether

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

We all love hive from the upper management to the day to day users. It is so great to go through the rundown of projects and see how they are all coming along. Thanks for making such a great piece of software!

Pros

We have a very large team and Hive helps our team stay connected on all of our projects in all different groups. It really keeps us organized and on time.

Cons

There is alot to cover with hive. The team has been helpful with our implementation. I wish that hive could connect with our calendars so that a due date and time can be seen on my calendar on my iphone. That is the one thing we have not yet figured out.

Response from Hive Technology

Thanks for your great review, Lee! We love hearing that Hive helps your large team stay connected and organized. We're happy to have you on the Hive team!

Chantal
  • Industry: Accounting

Happy Hivers

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

As a virtual accounting team, we are using Hive not only to document our full range of workflow processes and procedures, but also as an audit trail. Hive keeps us on task and on point with client commitments, and has helped us collaborate with each other more effectively. Internal emails are almost non-existent now w/ the Hive messaging and commenting tools. We looked at all the options out there and were impressed with how Hive seems to bring the best of each project management platform to bear. It has been a gamechanger for us.

Pros

Love the clean, bright interface, the options for data/project organization and visual representation, and stellar customer support - especially during onboarding. Hive messaging is also really slick (we no longer use Slack) and the platform's Giphy integration makes for some fun times for our virtual team.

Cons

There are some quirks which we have discussed at length with the development team - most notably the inability to create dependent tasks within project actions that recur. We hear they are working on it, though. And our direct contact with support is a main reason we love Hive.

Glenn
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Hive Taken to the next level

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

Hive has been a great help managing sales orders, manufacturing processes, quality inspections right down to shipments. It provides MFT with a live overview of all the various projects running simultaneously by assigning travelers, tasks, additional notes, check off lists all on a daily basis.

Pros

Know Hive is a Project Management tool MFT has taken it to the next level. We use Hive to following the manufacturing process from start to finish. As the Quality Manager, I use Hive to track scheduled fabrication on a daily basis. As orders are generated, the fabrication process is tracked throughout the build, to completion. Quality inspections are reported, and documented, then uploaded results so the team can review results. At this point, the jobs are tagged as complete and moved to the next step which is packing and shipping.

Cons

As sales orders are generated, they are inputted into Hive along with all applicable documents, PO#, drawings, travelers and additional notes is needed. Hive use to be able to open a Autocad file or Solidworks file, but now, the drawing file has to be downloaded then opened. This is an extra step we didnt have to do in the past. The recent update eliminated the ability to open these files from Hive.

Response from Hive Technology

Hi Glenn! Apologies for the inconvenience. We've set to work righting this error and you should be back to normal within the week. Thanks again!

James
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"One of the most functional software for project managers and entrepreneurs."

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

The best thing and the most productive benefit of the hive are that it can alter anything into an engaging task. Thus, with the multiple features and simple interface, this software is bringing a wide range of work opportunities. Hence, to be on track you need such easy-to-use software with the best integration and drag plus drop attributes. In short, the hive is one of the most functional software for entrepreneurs and other users. The easy-to-use keys and appealing dashboard make it quite interesting for users to work. Thus, bring it one and enjoy the unlimited proactive tools.

Pros

As quoted, this is one of the best and first management platforms supporting democracy. So, this software manages the whole working schedule very well for the users. Thus, you will regulate the timings and working strategies with the help of this tool. Hive helps in the engaging audience and provides productivity with collaborative teamwork.

Cons

Having no problem is a problem. So, when it comes to hives then a lot of users complain about the notifications that don't pop up while working. Thus, there are many analytical report generation and buffering issues that customers encounter.

Morgan
  • Industry: Music

Great for Project Management and Planning

Reviewed on 24/03/2020

I have been able to create and implement my goals and achieve my deadlines successfully.

Pros

I'm a self-employed individual user. I found Hive in a search for a software that could be easily used by individual to manage deadlines, projects, and future goal planning all on one platform, with interweaving timeline features. Most softwares don't accommodate individual users, but Hive does!

Cons

No, Hive is very easy to use and has helped me organize my business very well.

Trello, Kanban Tool, monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Not enough integrative/robust organizational features

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Only one for paid single user with features like integrative calendar etc!

Response from Hive Technology

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your kind words, we're glad you're enjoying your Hive experience. If you ever need anything from the Hive team, please reach out to [email protected]

Best,
The Hive Team

Lindsey
  • Industry: Accounting

We love Hive!

Reviewed on 03/09/2019

Hive has allowed us to seamlessly connect, communication, collaborate between our team members, while being organized and efficient.

Pros

This software has helped us streamline our operations - allowing our team of designers and project managers to communicate and work on projects collaboratively and seamlessly. It helps us all be on the same page and ensures that we get our projects done on time.

Cons

We have no cons to report. Any issues we have with the software are related to organization and user set up. For example, if one doesn't check their "flagged items" daily, then they back up, which is a problem but it's on the user.

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Kanbanize was not meeting our needs. Hive on the other hand exceeds expectations.

Kanbanize

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Hive was the best option for our needs.
Nate

Hive Keeps Us Organized

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Very satisfied and very positive! If you need a project management tool I would 100% recommend Hive. If you have a management tool and are also using a chat app like google hangouts or Slack I'd make the switch to house it all in one place.

Pros

Besides the obvious project management features that Hive excels at and that our team uses daily, the biggest gamechanger (and one I didn't expect when we launched Hive to be so impactful) is the chat function. For companies or groups who employ other apps like Slack, Hive offers a more streamlined place to hold all of your conversations in the same platform you manage and keep track of your work. It's been a huge boost for our team to have group and individual chats.

Cons

Hive is still making changes and updates to its platform. This is typically a benefit as we appreciate working with a platform that is always seeking to optimize and improve. However there has been a few bugs due to updates that have limited access into the platform for a small amount of time (less than an hour). The issue is usually resolved quickly but it does set us back if and when it happens.

Response from Hive Technology

Thanks for your great review, Nate! We're happy to hear you enjoy using Hive. We are always working to improve the platform and launch new features with minimal impact on our users. Your feedback is appreciated and will be passed along to the product team. Thanks for being a part of the Hive family!

Melvin

Great for productivity and task tracking at mass

Reviewed on 19/09/2019

Overall, Hive was a great addition to the team. We used to do daily catchups with the stakeholders, which honestly wasted a lot of time in total for the whole team. With Hive, not only are we able to streamline work, it is also accountable and saves times by reducing needs for constant catchups on a daily basis. Anytime a stakeholder needs an idea of where the project is going, all that needs to be done is to login to Hive.

Pros

Easy to use, many different views and ways to personalize the UI to suit each person's needs.
Notifications are great to also help track tasks and ensure completion of tasks amongst the team is done well.

Hive is great for small teams with large, repetitive tasks that needs to be tracked on multiple steps, which is what exactly my team has been using it for. All in all good experience, has helped cut down the need or daily catchups as all stakeholders can easily see project status and update project details quickly as well

Cons

No way to track version history.
We have a rouge person who keeps randomly deleting our templates in the organisation. Hive has no way to track things like these however.

Also, I have used other project management softwares, and a lack of a desktop app or a addon (meaning you have to always open a tab to get the notifications) is a bit of a bummer