ZenHub

Agile project management and product roadmapping for GitHub

4.4/5
4.2/5
4.4/5
4.6/5

28 Software options

Sheraz A.

Easiest to use for scrum/kanban

Reviewed on 22/09/2021

Pros

This has been a tank in my project management arsenal. The simplicity and integrations available with Zenhub are amazing. It's easy to catch on and integrate with the team. U can have multiple boards and have tickets sync across multiple boards based on how you have programmed it.
I use this as the first option for any new project I take on. U can set up feature tickets or bug tickets from the support board to automatically go into dev boards and sync with the product road map board.
The programmability is amazing and it generates the perfect reports as needed as well as the simplicity and ease of use makes it my first choice.

Cons

I have nothing to say but good words about zenhub.

monday.com, Trello and Jira

Trello
Missy Y.

Awesome when paired with GitHub

Reviewed on 30/08/2018

Pros

ZenHub's kanban view is great for me to understand my project management easily with its ability to filter vastly!

Cons

When zenhub goes down, there's a vague indication that it is not derivative of the end user's side.

Laura W.

Very happy with using Zenhub for project management.

Reviewed on 12/07/2017

Pros

I like that Zenhub is built right on top of Github and I don't have to go to some other site for all the info. The boards view is a great way to see all my issues or all issues in some epic, etc.

Cons

With Zenhub you don't get as many analytics or reporting features as you could with something like Jira.

Christopher A.

The only solution for teams that depend on GitHub

Reviewed on 12/02/2020

We started using it in our dev teams (most of the company), but it worked so well, that we extended its use to Marketing, Finance and HR. We even created empty repos in GitHub, so that those teams can have their own boards. The cost is reasonable and we ended up with a powerful collaboration tool on shared artifacts (GitHub) and a basic, but sufficient task/project management tool (ZenHub).

We even cancelled our Aha! Subscription, because we had simple product needs and the Roadmap feature, in combination with epics was enough for us.

Pros

Ingenious way to bypass the issue of GitHub's poor API and data model, that makes it practically impossible for any integration to offer true value, with minimal overhead. It has just enough features to make our life easy, with minimal overhead.

Cons

Sometimes (rarely) updates may get lost, when done via ZenHub.
You do need to open the GitHub project occasionally, as you don't have exactly the same ability to modify issues and milestones from within ZenHub.

Asana, Zendesk, monday.com, Trello, Jira, Productboard, Aha! and ProductPlan

Reasons for Switching to ZenHub

None of them solved much at all, for a company that relies so much on GitHub. With ZenHub we don't have to worry about issue duplication, manual overhead, issues with bidirectional synchronization, integrations only with PRs, looking for the source of truth and many more issues I identified during the evaluation/selection process.

Supercharge GitHub!

Reviewed on 04/11/2018

Pros

I love how this software takes an existing feature (i.e. GitHub issue) and literally supercharges it, giving it new scope and meaning. It lets you organize work in a fast, reliable and effective way with teams of any sizes. I’ve been using it with a small team of web developers and it really changed for the better the way we plan our sprints and how well we communicate progress to other stakeholders.

Cons

The learning curve might seem a bit steep, you need to become familiar with how GitHub features like issues and labels map to concepts like milestones and epics, but once you get the gist of it you are going to love this software.

This product helped me and my team manage our software projects better

Reviewed on 15/02/2018

Pros

I love that it leverages a product that every serious developer is familiar with (GitHub) and augments one of its core features (Issues) to help manage projects in a much more efficient way.

Max P.

Easier way to manage GitHub Projects, Tickets and Sprints

Reviewed on 07/05/2019

We used to use waffle.io but it is going away so we have tried out ZenHub. It does have a nice UI and makes it easier to look at and review projects and issues, especially with Sprints, but I am not sure if it is worth paying for. We might go back to just using free GitHub's default baked in project/issue tracking and make custom fields to use with sprints.

Pros

Staying ontop of a sprint and moving around tickets in projects is much easier to do in ZenHub than GitHub.

Cons

This software does cost money and not sure if the features it brings is worth paying for each team member to have access to ZenHub.

Tung F.

Very simple but wouldn't use it

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

nice for simple projects if you don't want to use any other software since GH already comes as a repo
but overall I wouldn't use it for serious projects

Pros

- integration with Github very very closely
- simple

Cons

- slow
- lack of features
- bugs
- no command+f search

Max H.

Zenhub finally made my developers care about the administration

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

Pros

The code of my team lives in github so therefore, so do my developers. We used JIRA for change and defect management but developers found it tedious. Not so with github.

Cons

The UI has some inconsistencies that annoy me:
* Text fields do not store their value unless you press update, but things like dropdowns update as soon as you release the mouse. It makes me uncertain: did this particular change take or not.
* The close button puts the ticket in the closed state (in addition to closing the window) but does not pop up a message that it basically says we're done, nor asks to specify anything. Especially in the beginning, this made it far too easy to remove tickets from the board by mistake.

Tom S.

Great product that is central to our engineering workflow

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

Pros

We use ZenHub to prioritize and track progress on github issues. It is critical to our engineering workflow. Our engineers and product manager use it every day to prioritize tasks. The product team uses ZenHub to communicate to the rest of the team about progress on different projects.

Cons

I don't have a lot to be critical of for this product. It's very simple. They had to put a lot of work into making it this simple and easy.

Response from ZenHub

Thank you, Tom!

Abdul-mumeen O.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Simple work flow tool

Reviewed on 28/04/2018

Pros

It's so simple to use that I believe anyone with an experience with any todo list app can easily make use of this tool. It's integration with github makes development so easy.

Cons

I always have to refresh my my page severally before I can see update in different column of my workflow which sometimes can be time wasting and frustrating.

Pierce L.

It's powerful to integrate directly into your GitHub project

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Pros

The kanban tasks are linked to the Github project directly with all the issues and detail, just one single click can see all the details and configure for sprints and milestones.

Cons

The flow of the Kanban is not able to customized and sometimes it's not easy to use for the projects not so much related to the development. And the layout is less beautiful compared to other Kanban tool.

Tim S.

ZenHub has helped our Processes along

Reviewed on 01/02/2017

We are fairly new to using ZenHub, but so far, so good. It has expanded communication between our Client Success Team and our Developers.

Nice connection to github

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

We use ZenHub to represent our backlog and workflow. It has epics and individual issues on the board.

Pros

It has the same product management column set up that most PM tools have. One advantage I've seen over other PM softwares is that you can put epics in other epics. This allows you to put multiple epics into one epic to represent a bigger piece of work.

Cons

I don't like that it's limited to kanban. You can't have different boards for teams within your repo (or I haven't figured out how) so you're all working off the same board. There aren't specific boards for sprints so you could set up columns to represent your sprint but it's not as easy as something like Jira.

Response from ZenHub

Hello,

Thank you for the kind words and feedback on ZenHub. You mentioned having a hard time setting up multiple board views on the same GitHub Repo and wanted to help.

We recently launched ZenHub Workspaces which gives different teams the ability to customize their board view when working from the same set of GitHub Repositories.

Here's how to set up your first Workspace:

If you run into any trouble please feel free to reach out to support or myself at any time ([email protected]).

Thank you for being a ZenHub customer!

Ruslan S.

Seamless planning layer for GitHub issues

Reviewed on 25/08/2018

We're using ZenHub to organize and manage the code development inside of GitHub. We use Chrome / FireFox plugins to add the ZenHub layer directly into GitHub.

Pros

1. It works seamlessly on of the original GitHub site (via the Chrome / FireFox plugin).
2. It provides the detailed guide not only on how to use the tools but on how to manage agile projects in general.
3. It provides a really slick and well-thought interface and usability experience.

Cons

There are some details that I wish would be improved:
1. I wish that sub-issues of an Epic could be ordered (when planning viewing them in the proper order is important).
2. I miss the ability to add automated actions, like:
2.1. Move issue to a certain pipeline when a code review is requested
2.2. Move issue to a certain pipeline when a code review is approved
2.3. Switch issue to a certain assignee when moved to a pipeline
4. ZenHub provides the "Done" pipeline, but the issues there are not actually counted as "done" in the reports.
3. Now ZenHub allows viewing issues as a pop-up in the pipelines. I wish the same experience would be available from the Epic planning board.

Omoyeni L.

Integrates well with Github.

Reviewed on 18/03/2018

Pros

Zenhub is integrated with Github and thus enable me access this program with my Github login. It also provides me with an intuitive layout to monitor the progress of projects I manage.
I have also skipped using Jira and depended fully on Zenhub to delegate tasks to my team members at work ,and for disaster recovery management.

Cons

Zenhub's user interface is very much clumsy and takes time to get used to. It also renders my Github page unusable ,while it is active.

Gumercindo victor B.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Used for 2+ years

Awesome option to collaborate

Reviewed on 18/09/2020

I was using this interface about 3 year since now and I feel happy.

Pros

This collaboration tool is so easy to integrate using chrome, and the UI is not complicated.

Cons

Maybe about to get more custom options in stories or cards, and security options too.

Project Management Tools for the Dev Savvy

Reviewed on 19/03/2019

Having used more robust project/task management products in the past, ZenHub feels a little lightweight, but having introduced it to multiple teams who have not, setup and adoption was quick due to ease of use and an intuitive interface.

Pros

ZenHub allowed for our QA and Product Management teams to quickly and effectively work with Development on issues, workflows, and processes. A customizable Kanban board added planning capabilities to help organize our teams' approach to time and work management. Collapsible pipelines and filters allow different teams to easily focus only on what's important and relevant to each team.

Cons

With multiple repositories and a complex workflow, ZenHub can be slow to load. Some additional automation options would be an excellent improvement (things like automated issue assignment based on pipeline changes), or if they exist, make these options easier to find and implement.

Amanda S.

Zenhub makes it easier to manage current sprint work

Reviewed on 09/08/2019

Pros

We keep all of our issues for upcoming and current work in GutHub, previously using GitHub Projects for our scrum board. The ZenHub extension provides workspaces and make managing agile work much easier!

Cons

Somewhat frequently, the ZenHub tab will not load at all. Refreshing the page typically resolves the issue, but sometimes you have to troubleshoot further.

Zenhub is a lightweight project management tool embedded to your github repo.

Reviewed on 07/02/2018

Pros

It is a great complement for github. It basically includes most of the functions for agile project management and users only have to install the addon. Great documentation too.

Cons

The main problem I encounter with this tool is that I wish there was a way to create a board without a repo. This might not be a fault whereas an special feature I missed sometimes

Francisco P.

Easier than Jira, but limited

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

An easy to set up management tools

Pros

Is great that you can set up a Board so quickly and integrate it with Github super easily, epics are probably one of the best features

Cons

I feel it can be much better, is not intuitive enough and there is still a learning curve, it would be better if it was more like basecamp in terms of design

Matt D.

It's great if you really need it

Reviewed on 15/02/2017

My organization used ZenHub. A lot of people in my organization really appreciated the features it brought to the table, but I didn't find those features very valuable. The killer feature seemed to be kanban for most of my colleagues, but I'm not a huge fan of kanban. We could live without it, I think.

Pros

Seamless intergration

Cons

Adds a lot of noise to GitHub

Matthew B.

Powerful project management and status tracking for development and product teams

Reviewed on 21/05/2021

Overall, I'd highly recommend Zenhub to any development or product team as a powerful project management system that will add just what Github lacks in that regard on its own.

Pros

The kanban board is an invaluable view into what our development team is doing. Tracking the status in this way is really helpful as it helps me know when to chime into the process (i.e. during the estimation phase or QA phase).

As a product designer, I can keep track of where Github issues are at, easily chime in with feedback during the quality assurance process and provide answers to design-related questions for the development team.

My favorite feature is the integration with Github. This adds a layer on top of Github that is extremely helpful for project management and estimation

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say about it. It meets our project management needs.

Gencer G.

Take GitHub Issue management to the Next Level!

Reviewed on 08/04/2020

Clean, Fast and neat UI. Better UI/UX experience on team workspace. Everything in one place and manage issues & PRs without hassle. We love ZenHub!

Pros

ZenHub's clean and simple UI makes issues more clear & fun. We find everything we want in one place and still with simplicity. With last update ZenHub makes issues even load faster than before. Since we use ZenHub we never leave ZenHub for issues & PRs! You can create workspace and combine all your repositories into single workspace and manage all issues and milestones from one place.

Cons

At the moment, we only missing one feature, that is, seeing commit hash when an issue closed via Git push.

Megan S.

Awesome organizing tool that adds to the feeling of accomplishment

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

Organizing our sprint cycles by team and tracking issues by team.

Pros

Allows clear visualization of issues created by subject matter. Allows for easy filtering between issues. Our team also uses it to organize issues per person for each sprint cycle.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like about this add on to Github - it's very helpful with organization and visualization.