EmailOctopus

Easy-to-use, affordable email marketing tool.

4.8/5
4.2/5
4.6/5
4.6/5

Jan sigetty B.
  • Industry: Publishing

Unfair comparison with Mailchimp

Reviewed on 28/09/2018

I like it, but that's because I found workarounds.

Fx. I design the NewsLetter in MailChimp and copy/paste the HTML. It works fine that way.

Pros

I moved from MailChimp, because of the price tag. Octopus is way cheaper, but it's still possible to send the same quality emails and that's​ great.

Cons

1. A better interface to make your own template/design. Limitations in fonts, sizes, etc

2. List features are limited. No way to create segments or groups based on subscriber data.

3. Regarding reports: A graphic overview of where the clicks are placed.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the feedback. We have some good news on the campaign editor- we've just launched our new drag & drop email builder.

It's only in Beta at the moment, however I've added it to your account and you'll be able to use it in your next campaign.

More updates to come based on your feedback, too.

Thanks again,

Tom

Kristian V.

Simple & Effective

Reviewed on 28/04/2021

Incredible. In the time & age where platform are becoming extremely bulky, EmailOctopous keeps it simple, clean, automated. Customer support is on point every time.

Pros

- Simple yet powerful
- Not overwhelming
- Incredible customer support
- Fantastic automation

Cons

- Segmentation features
- Advanced automation & workflows

Mikey C.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reliable and cost-effective

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

Overall I've been very pleased. I have tried several other providers and found that this service is excellent and compares well with other providers who charge a lot more for similar features.

Pros

EmailOctopus offers a reliable platform at an excellent price, and the level of customer support is particularly good. Questions are answered promptly and efficiently. The platform is easy to use and has a good range of features.

Cons

I'd like to see the drag and drop email editor improved. It works well enough and the emails look good, but it is not as slick as other editors I've used.

Mailchimp and MailerLite

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

I wanted to switch from a self-hosted email platform to a hosted one, and it was important that the service I chose integrated with Bookfunnel and my website.

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

I've tried all those listed and a few more. MailerLite let me down several times. They were unreliable and their support was poor. Sendfox is very basic and charges for options such as single optin lists. Mailpoet has a great editor and integrates with my site beautifully, but it didn't integrate with Bookfunnel, and that was a dealbreaker. Mailchimp has become very expensive.
Freeman L.

Love EmailOctopus!

Reviewed on 26/10/2020

Pros

EmailOctopus is focused on one thing - helping you send beautiful emails to your subscribers. It's not bloated, it's simple to use, and it's priced very competitively. We switched from Mailchimp a few years ago. We love the ability to use our Amazon SES account to keep costs low for our high volume of weekly email sends. I've also switched client's from Mailchimp to the EmailOctopus Pro plan and it always saves them time and money.

Cons

Would be great to have more integrations with other content management systems but they keep improving every day!

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

Price and ease of use. You shouldn't need a course to be able to understand how to use your email management service.
Steven W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

E-mail Octopus is a great platform

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

Overall, our experience has been great. Any time I've had a question or a problem the support center is very responsive, even factoring in the time lag because I'm in the United States and they are in Great Britain.

Pros

E-mail Octopus is very easy to use. It is an intuitive program. Over the past three years that we have been using it it has been nearly flawless. But the best thing about it is it's affordability and flexibility.

Cons

If I had to pick just one thing about the program that I would change would be on the reporting side. It gives good data about the number of opens, numbers who unsubscribe and bounces. However when they report clicks the base it not just on the number of opens but also factor in even the number who never opened the e-mail. To me, that doesn't make sense. How can you report data on someone who never even opens the e-mail.The realistic number of click throughs should be based on the actual number of the people who have opened the e-mail. That is the most accurate data a user like myself can benefit from.

Brian T.
  • Industry: Automotive

Small Agency ESP Review

Reviewed on 11/09/2020

Very positive.

Pros

We use EmailOctopus for our small agency to send our newsletters and other targeted email campaigns. Their tool is extremely easy to use and is very cost efficient for small agencies that have to watch every penny. Plus the are continually adding new features to the platform which makes the value increase every quarter!

Cons

Would like the ability to create sub-accounts. And it's a bummer to pay a foreign transaction fee every month.

Chameleon, SendGrid, CampaignerCRM and Emma

Better value

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

Easy decision. EmailOctupus offered the best value for our agency.
Phil S.

The Ronseal of Email Platforms - Does exactly what it says on the tin!

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

Pros

Nutshell - AWESOME.

Ease of use. After failing to be able to achieve what we needed with a well known competitor we switched. We had spent four days trying to import our list with the competitor but were unable to due to limitations in the host software.

Cons

No landing page. Sure its fine for us, we have a website page specifically for capturing new signups but some will not have this ability. For example in the MLM world the 'rep' or 'agent' may not have or need an actual website but will absolutely need email marketing with a very simple way to capture new users. Something with a url that would allow for sharing on social networks.

Integration with Wordpress isn't very 'pretty'! We're having to use web hooks in a separate form to pass the data through automation to our audience list. The WP plugin isn't, and very probably never will be, as powerful as some of the built in tools within modern WP page builders. Unfortunately whilst the bigger guys tend to get their platforms integrated into WP plugins, it helps the plugin devs sell the product, EmailOctopus isn't current being supported. WP plugin devs, if you're reading this, make it happen!!

Ashleigh S.

The Perfect Solution

Reviewed on 15/10/2020

I had a suggestion for a new feature and contacted customer service. They responded within hours and were extremely friendly. I have been very pleased with this program and will definitely be recommending it to others.

Pros

I examined many email clients before selecting Email Octopus. What really made this program stand above the rest was the fact that I could have 2500 subscribers on my list and still remain on the free program.

Cons

The "Drag and Drop" feature in the email builder has a slight learning curve, but it is still much easier to use than other programs I've worked with.

AWeber, Mailchimp, MailerLite, ConvertKit and ActiveCampaign

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

EmailOctopus had the largest number of subscribers on the free version and was the easiest to use.
Ian R.

Easy to Use and Great ROI

Reviewed on 02/05/2019

I have used Email Octopus for a couple/few years now and I have not had an issue - which is saying something. The times I had a question or two, they were responsive and helped me out. Overall great experience.

Pros

Easy to use, great pricing, support has always been responsive, and they always seem to be improving things. I like the clear and easy dashboard that isn't cluttered with all sorts of stuff that I don't need.

Cons

Integrations with other software is a bit limited.

Aronu C.

Simplicity and Cost Effective Pricing

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

Pros

Among all the email marketing platforms I have tried, I must say that EmailOctopus comes out on top in terms of simplicity, pricing and support. Their email deliverability is also very good. Feel free to check them out.

Cons

Email automation reporting not advanced.

John D.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Pleased with Octpus

Reviewed on 15/03/2021

Increasing subscribers and understanding the demographic profile of our subscribers

Pros

We use it for our weekly newsletter on Bali Tourism and Lifestyle sent internationally. I like the way it removed hard bounces and thereby bolsters the veracity of our mailing list.

Cons

No basic complaints. A few hiccups at the beginning - but accept those issues as part of keeping spammers away from your product.

Amazing Newsletter Service

Reviewed on 28/09/2018

I tried a couple of times the support. Every time they answered my questions with a solution or at least a promise to update the web in the future.

Pros

I used other third web apps for my newsletter. I saw once a newsletter from emailoctopus and I decided to try. I was shocked how it was so easy the setup and the affordable price. I love the automation option. I use it for my funnels and it works very well.

Cons

I would like to redirect my subscribers to a custom page after the confirmation email.

• Industry: Fund-Raising

EmailOctopus - Best Value Around

Reviewed on 28/09/2018

I switched to EmailOctopus in 2017 from another email vendor and so far I have not been disappointed. It’s easy to use, fantastic value for money and the support team are very responsive.

Good support team

Cons

Basically it has Limited functionality

Ashima D.

Amazing Product

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

Absolutely love it, we’re using Email Octopus to drive monthly utilization and it is amazing! The low cost is also fabulous!

Pros

Email Octopus makes our monthly newsletters and release notes so easy! The templates and features to send out details are so easy and user friendly that anyone can use it with out too much training.

Cons

I wish there was a heat map to see where users clicked most in our emails but that is a feature request not a con.

Chelsy H.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Simple and Sweet

Reviewed on 01/10/2018

Our company needed a piece of software that simply just delivered emails for us without any worry or hassle.

Pros

Very reliable and always fast. I feel that I can count on this software to deliver my messages fast and secure.

Cons

Customization could improve. It would be great to have a better contact section.

J f R.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Best email option...especially for the price!

Reviewed on 09/05/2019

I've only had to reach out to customer support during setup. That part was a little tricky, but email octopus provides easy to follow instructions and they're very helpful. Overall, I'm so glad I switched from my previous overly-priced provider. The emails are just as easy to create and look just as great for a fraction of the cost. I recommend email octopus to everyone I know with a newsletter.

Pros

I like that I can send thousands of emails so inexpensively. It has a drag and drop set up and is incredibly easy to use.

Cons

It doesn't have all the functionality of my last email provider, but it's a fraction of the cost and I don't need what the other provider offered.

Michaela V.

Great software, very competitive prices and amazing support! Cannot recommend EmailOctopus...

Reviewed on 02/03/2018

Pros

Competitive prices, best email support and I love the easy to use dashboard. Sending out campaigns is a breeze and I love the detailed statistics

Cons

At first, it wasn't very clear to me how to set up the AWS (Amazon Web Services Account) but everything was described perfectly on EmailOctopus and the support team was always very helpful.

Hugh T.
  • Industry: Online Media

Amazing Software

Reviewed on 28/09/2018

Great tool that saves me a lot of money each year

Pros

The price is probably the best advantage over competitors + the software is awesome

Cons

Could have a load more templates to choose from

Oh boy! I just love this tool

Reviewed on 08/06/2018

Pros

I love this tool so much because they are the only Email service providers who are giving away 2500 subscribers for free. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I love the simple user interface and man they have a very in-depth documentation when it comes to setting up your account with Amazon SES. Trust me if you aren't a technical guy like me you'll still be able to set up your SES account with their simple to read and understand documentation like a breeze.

Cons

I didn't like the fact that I'm unable to segment my subscribers in the tool. I thought that thi, is limited to the free version and will be lifted once I upgrade. But when I contacted the support team they replied that isn't supporting this feature yet and don't have any plans in the future anytime soon which makes me a little disappointed.

Stephen S.

Not Pleased

Reviewed on 03/06/2021

Very Unhappy

Pros

Used this software for 3 years for my business. Basic but did the job.

Cons

The Customer Service. After using Email Octopus for 3 years we left AWS and needed to use them via the standard service. We were told that we were not allowed to send emails through there standard service. You can imagine how upset we were.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Stephen,

We're very sorry that we were not able to move you over to our main EmailOctopus product from your existing Amazon SES integration. As an independent email marketing platform, we have to take extra care when approving accounts to ensure high deliverability rates for all of our customers. We understand that this may sometimes mean individuals feel unjustly penalised but we do not take these decisions lightly and will always offer EmailOctopus Connect as an alternative. We regret that this is not a suitable option for you at this time and wish you all the best in finding the right solution for your ongoing email marketing needs.

Kind regards,

EmailOctopus

George V.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Good option to keep costs down

Reviewed on 25/11/2020

Happy with this service for my marketing email campaigns.

Pros

A good alternative to some of the larger mail providers. Has the main features required without the high cost per contact.

Cons

Suits my needs perfectly. I have a simple use case and do not need a large feature set. Works well for marketing emails

Olga F.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

the best email service f

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

it has been great

Pros

perfect for a small business, very easy to use, gives me lots for nothing

Cons

difficult to link with wordpress form pluggins

Grace D.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used for 1-5 months

TERRIBLE

Reviewed on 20/03/2021

Really terrible. Especially [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] from Customer Service.

Pros

I thought this would be of great value but after sending two emails, I had incredibly low open rates. I had only been on the platform for 5 days, and they won't even give me a refund! I would highly NOT recommend using this service. Customer support was also awful and would not process my refund, even after sending just two emails and being on the platform than less than a week. It's truly absurd.

Cons

I did not like anything about EmailOctopus and I would highly recommend others look elsewhere for their email service.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Grace,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your experience and I'm sorry we didn't meet expectations as an email marketing platform.

I understand the team have already reached out with a number of actionable tips on how you can improve your email open rate, these are both technical (such as setting up DKIM/SPF) as well as some more general email marketing best practices.

I appreciate some of these can be tricky, so we're very happy to lend a hand in getting those set-up so you can get your emails seen.

Craige hardel -.

Functional does the job

Reviewed on 15/10/2020

it's been okay trying it out....use it for one of the funnels and it works. However it can be better

Pros

simple interface for a decent price at scale

Cons

not as robust as the other autoresponders and not the most integrations

Ruslan G.
  • Industry: Design

EmailOctopus saves us a ton of money

Reviewed on 03/05/2019

Pros

Compared to Mailchimp and others EmailOctopus saves us a lot of money by leveraging Amazon sending capabilities.

Cons

Live preview of HTML coded emails could be better. Also a few more HTML templates would help a lot.