PowToon

Create animated videos and presentations

4.1/5

Deepika
Deepika

Great to use

Reviewed on 09/12/2018

Pros

Being a graphic designer, I use this for animated videos & presentations almost everyday. powtoon has so many templates & animation effects which make it very useful to make quick videos. I love this software because it has a clean interface. Colors & design are very user friendly . I would recommend this product to everyone who wants to make animated videos & presentations.

Cons

The hardest part of this product is it sometimes takes way too much time to upload images & add videos to timeline. This is a heavy product, which hangs alot, that makes it very irritating at times.
One thing I want in this product is options to arrange the saved files in folders or as we want because the minus point is when we mistakenly open a file it comes to number one which bothers the order of the files & makes it difficult to keep a check.

Alain Jove
Alain Jove
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Powtoon for Power Cartoon Graphics

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Overall, it is really fun putting crazy ideas to life in this app. The templates save time from creating your own vector graphics and animation, or toying around with other photo or video editing/ creation tools which is very taxing when time is of the essence. The output looks fantastic as it is very smooth and the resolution is really fitting for any setup such as branding of products, personal promotions, and any other creative endeavors.

Pros

This is an outstanding app that I've used and is still using since it has powerful customizable templates for designing cartoon storyline. As opposed to just comic style speech bubble presentation, this brings more life to it than the old school approach. Although it still works, the this new approach works better and provides more life - but most of all, an eye catcher to the social media age of today.

I like this app because it provides a lot of customizable templates for characters, backgrounds, props, images, and other elements. All of them are customizable down to changing the character's gender and outfit, sceneries that change as your storyline progresses, moving objects like cars and buses, including other animated elements like traffic lights and blinking lights. In addition, you have several audio to choose from to fit the storyline, and has several zoom/pan effect for added touch.

Cons

In my opinion, your own imagination is the only thing that hinders you from getting into your end product. If you're stuck, you can always do a Google lookup and find ideas from other Powtoon animations to keep you going with your project. As far as loading times are concerned, there is no lag at all even if the elements already stack up.

Sitong
  • Industry: Banking
  • Used for 1-5 months

Not respecting customers

Reviewed on 22/04/2019

I feel this company is fooling customers like me and wasting my money and time. I do not think that customers should pay to a company like this and helps it to survive.

Pros

All the functions and material are easy to use and have high quality. The outcome was great.

Cons

It does not show you what materials and functions are only for the Pro Plan before you complete and go to the purchasing step. I completed my video making, and then I was told that I have to buy to starter plan to export it in MP3 format. I purchased it, and then I was told that I have used some pro stuff, like effects and pictures, in my video. In order to keep them, I have to buy a Pro Plan. Why am I not told ahead of time??? Moreover, they would not refund me the money I spent on the Starter Plan. Why do I need to pay twice????
In the end, I paid for the Starter Plan, monthly subscription. Three months later, which is today, I found that my plan was auto-renewed. I do not remember their website writing anything about auto-renew, and so I went back and found that it was not mentioned anywhere on the payment page, and it was only written at the bottom of the Pricing page. If you do not search for it deliberately, there is no way you can find it.

Ayesha
Ayesha

Ultimate Animated Video Maker.

Reviewed on 21/08/2022

This platform is what we consistently implement for animated video material. Even though it has been years, the way it allows us to illustrate a situation or convey a tale is flawless. Only because of this platform did we obtain such positive feedback from our viewers.

Pros

Importing media is simple. The pre-made templates and avatars assist in precisely establishing the context for a decisive result. The interface is simple and ideal for those who are just starting out and wish to make animated material.

Cons

For a large number of projects, the price rises. Aside from the cost issue, I'm pleased with how well everything appears to function.

Jefry
Jefry
  • Used for 2+ years

Easy Presentations

Reviewed on 20/06/2019

From my experience with the program I can say that I have not had greater difficulties than to find myself a little disoriented at first, but thanks to its easy use and interactivity, I can learn at once and I can create my video. I would say that I would have difficulty uploading or sharing the video, because there are not enough options or the ones I want are blocked and I must pay. It would be good if the tool would allow you to share those videos over Whatsapp for free.

Pros

It is a simple and easy to use program. The presentations have many details and customization, being a very good point because it allows creating multiple videos and they do not look alike. It offers free and paid tools, also offers different ways to export or publish it; it is good the point and manages to make known the tool and the jobs and that many people can use it, either by paying or for free.

Cons

The program looks very limited at times because they don't have other tools to change the style of their videos with respect to the format, that is, it follows established parameters and does not allow recording videos to be uploaded and edited with the tools already available, but it limits itself to that format already established and in a certain way causes the authors of the videos to be somewhat limited in the subject of creativity.

Karna
Karna

Makes creating just-in-time learning quick and easy

Reviewed on 07/02/2020

We've had a great experience with Powtoon, and have continually opted in to be early adopters for their new features. Their customer service is fantastic, and the chat-bot allows you to have your questions answered quickly.

Pros

It has a very low learning curve. Once you know what you are trying to capture, the software is incredibly intuitive at helping you make your content visually appealing to your end users. They also continually make updates that enhance the creator's experience, including additional templates and new functionality.

Cons

There's not really anything to improve- it meets our needs for providing just-in-time learning content. We are able to customize as much or as little as we want, add sound, add proprietary images, and then download in a format that makes it easy to share.

ulises
ulises

Animated, creative and unique videos to develop your ideas

Reviewed on 28/06/2018

An educator should always be preparing and never stop studying or preparing. That is why whenever I can take a course I do it in this case it was an elearning course and I was presented with this tool and from that moment on every occasion I can use it I develop my videos through it.

Pros

This tool is great since the environment is very friendly which allows us to devote to the development of the video without worrying about technical difficulties, as well as the possibility of inserting characters, templates and emoticons that allow us to draw the attention of the viewer by remembering that from time to time the viewer loses attention is why we have to find that in that moment that loses attention is also part of our explanation.

Cons

This tool has incredible potential to come to shape the ideas in unique and wonderful ways because in addition to having a large repertoire for the help of the video developer has the ability to add all that audiovisual element that we consider the only difficulty is that it is dependent of the Internet and without it you can not work but that reason does not detract from its great potential

Linda
Linda

I've been using Powtoon since it was in BETA. I use for both my business and the classroom

Reviewed on 28/02/2018

Powtoon gave me the ability to create engaging content for my students. I've used it to create lessons in both a brick and mortar classroom as well as for online curriculum. I also use it for content on my Youtube channel.

Pros

A variety of pre-built templates to use or edit. The business version has the most options for characters. It's very easy to do voiceover and export the final product.

Cons

The collaboration function doesn't work properly. This feature is still in BETA, but I'd like to use it like you can collaborate on a Google Slides. Sometimes updates don't save. I'd be sure to click SAVE every time you make a major change, or at least each slide you create.

Response from Powtoon

Linda, thank you for the great review,
We are making strides towards upgrading the collaboration feature into something very similar to google docs. In fact we are working on a whole new way to work in teams, share brand assets and powtoons, and work together on the same Powtoon. Stay tuned

Shelly
Shelly
  • Industry: Insurance

An amazing video maker

Reviewed on 27/09/2022

The overall experience of using this software has been excellent. I enjoy making videos with it.

Pros

Powtoon is a great tool for creating animated videos, and I also used it to create informative reels and presentation videos for my organization. The Powtoon tool makes video creation a lot easier for me.

Cons

With this software, we are able to create commendable videos for our clients and different organizations. However, I would say it is a bit pricey, although that's okay considering we can use it to create incredible videos.

Reshma
Reshma

FANTASTIC!

Reviewed on 23/02/2018

We are able to better communicate about our change process with our teams throughout the world, and that in turn has helped us move forward!

Pros

Everything! I love all the features and have used it extensively for work. Other parts of our global organization are starting to use it too. I started the trend - and now even our Headquarters in Atlanta are using it!

Cons

Would love more culturally appropriate characters - and also the hands that are featured in the 'whiteboard' piece - can we have options to make them not only Caucasian?

Response from Powtoon

Thank you Reshma for your kind review.
We have put a lot of emphasis in the last couple of months on character diversity, and in fact in the next few weeks you will see a great improvement on that front with dozens of new characters added.

My favorite presentation software

Reviewed on 16/01/2018

We make a lot of marketing videos, and this software makes it very easy to throw together a high-quality presentation very quickly, saving time and money in design work.

Pros

This is my go-to presentation creation software, far better than Power-Point slides. It is clear they are constantly improving their platform with new features and updates appearing regularly in the system, and I've watched over the years how the platform has continued to improve. I've not been able to find anything comparable in price and features on the market.

Cons

Occasionally there is a delay in the uploading of content, likely processing time for information to communicate between servers. Also, I wish there were an improvement on the way to render/download a mp4 file. Currently it renders it on the server and sends an email to download. I wish there were just a simple render/download button available on the program.

Binyamin
  • Industry: Farming
  • Used for Free Trial

Expected A Lot But Disappointed

Reviewed on 10/02/2019

If you are somebody who is moderately gifted/skillful in animation or you are committed to the learning curve demanded of Powtoon it is a great, and I could see it as being a really fun, animation marketing platform.

Pros

Using Powtoon a marketer can, at an affordable price, tell the story behind their company and their product in such a way that it comes alive and captivates the viewer. The animation becomes real and pulls the viewer in. It is a well constructed and professional tool. Besides conveying a story in a powerful way, Powtoon also imparts a feeling of professionalism. It shows the viewer that you as a company, as a product creator, cares and takes pride in that which you wish to sell/impart. It sends of message of creativity and above-and-beyond pride in your product.

Cons

Although I will be the first to admit that I am not tech savvy, nevertheless there are many products on the market that are made for people like myself, so much so that people are often amazed at how much tech I'm able to navigate with so little aptitude. However, Powtoon was not one of them. When I first discovered Powtoon I was excited, when I first logged-in to Powtoon I was revved up to start creating. From the get-go it was as if I was trying to climb a very tall and vertical wall. It was more than a bit frustrating, especially given that Powtoon was touted as an easy to use creation platform. If I had been heavily invested in learning to use Powtoon I'm sure I could have, but it clearly was going to take more than a day or two of serious learning. A learning curve I was not interested in pursuing.

• Industry: Restaurants
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Once you get the hang of it!

Reviewed on 12/11/2018

Pros

The resources are constantly evolving - it's like i have a new bag of tricks every time I go to design with it. New layouts, fonts, images, etc. make everything really fun to use and fun for my clients to engage with. It is an easy way to inexpensively produce microlearning - added bonus that its visible without an LMS and can be used on the go. If you are experienced in Adobe Captivate, this design format would be very similar to the layers found in eLearning design - only in video layout.

Cons

I dont like the levels of access they make available. If you pay for it, you should have access to everything. Or, if it's not available for my level, dont put it in my design resources toolbox. I use something in a project only to learn that it's not available to me unless i go "pro".

Barbara
  • Industry: Media Production

its so easy, and ist's fun! Best video animation software for beginners (& pros)

Reviewed on 10/03/2019

It's hatd to get attention these days! Powtoon is a perfect tool for smaller and medium companies to create social media content or explainer videos without spending too much time and money.

Pros

the variety on styles, the designs, the humour and inspiration they spread!

Cons

Probably that the organisation of the projects is still a bit rudimentary, but there are so many positive aspects, it does'nt really affect the overall positive view.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Almost perfect

Reviewed on 14/12/2021

Overall, Powtoon achieves what it sets out to do. I just wish there were more editing capabilities.

Pros

Powtoon is very easy to learn and the templates are great to get you started. The media library is full of great assets to create a video quickly and the image library is robust. The software is very intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

I am frustrated with the lack of sound editing you can do on Powtoon - for example, you cannot edit voiceovers once you have recorded them. You also cannot add music to the first three slides, you have to add them separtately, which makes continuity an issue. I would love to see a way to expand the timeline so you can edit on a granular level.

Syed

Powtoon- ‘is a great tool to create animated content with drag and drop actions’

Reviewed on 19/09/2020

In a word Powtoon-is a smart tool to use. You can be an excellent creator with it. My overall experience with this is amazing.

Pros

I am using this tool to create animated content and really easy to create varieties of content with ease. I think the beginner can also work with this easily. Powtoon, allow you to create animated content with customized templates and varieties of objects. This is one of the best tools that enable an inexperienced person to create professional presentations and videos. I like the fact that Powtoon’s stock is full of essential resources that allows anyone to create functional and useful content.

Cons

I think some of the elements they provided are not always useful. Also, sometimes I observed it’s got slow when I download the videos. However, It’s worth it to use this tool because of many advantages.

Geoff
Geoff

Great Value Product

Reviewed on 30/10/2020

Really helpful and very versatile. We had a great deal which made it a no brainer.

Pros

I like that it has lots of built in templates I can use as starters. I really like the explainer video templates. I use this for marketing, social media, paid campaigns, and internal customer support training.

Cons

I wish I could apply branding colors to a template without having to change every element. Then I could flip templates into production-ready products that much faster.

Abdul
Abdul

Best Explainer Video Maker For Newbies

Reviewed on 12/04/2020

Powtoon helped me in making Animated videos in less time, specially when I really need a video urgently. I always use this tool to create an animated video quickly. It's Easy and Fast. Also it is sometime very expensive to hire a professional for this work, so powtoon helps the Newbies to do this by there selfs.

Pros

Powtoon is one of the best tool for Newbies to create An Animated Explainer Video quickly. It allows the user to create a fully customize Animated video which can full the needs of brands. The video can be made in 7-10 minutes and you don't have to hire a Graphic Designer or a Professional for this work. Powtoon also gives trial to there users so first they can test how Powtoon works and they don't charge their users for the trial period. Powtoon allows to create fully customize Animated Videos easily and quickly.

Cons

Powtoon is a great tool but they have to improve the features like Characters, Background Music and some other features, otherwise it is an excellent tool.

Mindy
Mindy
  • Used for 1+ year

A fun way to get students engaged

Reviewed on 18/01/2019

I have had my students use PowToons to create a visual representation of text. I have also had them use it as a visual aid for a speech. In both situations, it was very entertaining. The students were engaged completing the assignment and their classmates were engaged when watching their peers present.

Pros

I love anything that will grab my students' attention. I especially love it when it's something I can have them use to capture the attention of their classmates. I really like that this is flashy and doesn't require coding or graphic design knowledge to make a fun and professional presentation.

Cons

It's hard to explain to students that they can't use everything they can see. I completely understand that a company would want people to see what they could have for a price, but it's frustrating for students to see all of these really cool features and not be able to touch them.

Rebekah
Rebekah
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Had to make a video for a presentation and loved using powtoon

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

All in all it was a very positive experience and I hope to use the platform again

Pros

I had to create a interactive video for a presentation and someone on the design team suggested using powtoon. I am so glad I did it was a free trial but offered so many features and was so easy to use!

Cons

In general making videos is difficult and requires a lot of time. The site was easy to use but still took me a very long time to create what I needed to make

Use Powtoons to create engaging videos

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

I learned about this program in grad school and I am thankful for it. I have been able to create videos and continue to use them for the past few years. Highly recommend

Pros

As an educator, I am constantly trying to engage parents and I often use Powtoons as a way to communicate with them. I have used this program to create videos on introducing them to stress management techniques, how to register for classes, and so much more. These videos are short and engaging for them.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve when using Powtoons; however, once you get use to it- it's very user friendly!

Avishay "Jesse"
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Very nice tool for creating videos, especially promos for new products or services you market.

Reviewed on 24/05/2018

A very nice product, especially if you have no idea how to create an animated video, which is a very big thing today.

Some of the free features don't cut it, but overall - a very good option to choose for your marketing endeavors.

Pros

You can create very engaging videos, with high CTR and nice music to them, a really top-notch experience come to think of it.

I used it more than once to produce promo videos with a CTA attached for people to click and go straight to a landing page.

Cons

Many aspects of the platform need to be paid for; for example, the "created with Powtoon" thing, which really takes away from the experience.

Canva, which is a creation tool, much like Powtoon, offers many aspects without paying for them. Most people don't even know you used Canva, and the Freemium thing is only for premium icons, backgrounds, etc. or for transparency or re-editable PDF.

• Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Sassiest animation tool to add zing to your presentations

Reviewed on 26/12/2018

I first started using Powtoons to add animations to my presentations for university projects. With the tool still being pretty new at that time, I had a lot of fellow students asking for the link to it. More recently I have been using Powtoons to create audio guided videos as help-videos for my clients with some light animations. It has worked wonders in capturing audience attention without the intricacies of some of the other tools available like Adobe. I would recommend it to students as well as professionals to add some edge to their presentations.

Pros

Powtoons is the easiest online software I could find that helps create professional animated videos to add to my presentations (both for university and for work) without the need for me to take an animation course. The fact that it is free and comes with templates helps too :) The canvas is very intuitive to use with drag and drop functionality.

Cons

These are absolutely no shortcomings of the software

Matthew
  • Industry: Automotive

Capture the Attention of your viewers

Reviewed on 11/06/2020

With cookie-cutter ads, email and video out there for marketing, Powtoon pushes that to the side and stands well above the rest to make a difference with allowing you to get your message through with creativity that you don't see in other software.

Pros

Powtoon is a great Animation software that anyone can use to get your message through for Training, Marketing or just to say "Hi".

Cons

Because this is internet based, it does lag at times with the speed of the playback and crashes from time to time.

Jocelyn R

Just amazing!

Reviewed on 20/03/2022

It’s been amazing. I totally recommend my fellow teachers to try it. They won’t regret it!

Pros

I love Powtoon, it’s an incredible video making app. I use it for my classes and my students always find the videos cool and interesting to watch. I can summarize important topics in small animation that help them understand and review the topics easily. It’s inexpensive and provides amazing features for no money.

Cons

I’m general Powtoon is really nice and user friendly. Sometimes it takes a while to load but nothing that affects the use of the website.