Argos Reporting Software

Argos Reporting Software

Enterprise-level reporting tools for colleges & universities

4.5/5 (66 reviews)
Gohreen A.
Industry: Education Management
Company size: 10,001+ Employees

Powerful tool.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

One click reports for my department.

Pros

I can have reports available for functional users of me department with one click. Different charts can be created. Olap cube is very helpful. We do our admission letters with this product. Recently created probation and warning letters.

Cons

When our central IT has problem in nightly ODS update.

Greg K.

Quick, powerful and intuitive software for database reports

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

User interface is incredibly intuitive while also providing great power and flexibility. Even users with no SQL experience can create complex queries using the visual designer. For experienced SQL developers, the text editor is available.

Outputs can be in the form of interactive dashboards with charts, graphs, indicators and multi column lists, or CSV files, xml data extracts, and PDF files.

The clever application developer can even turn this reporting tool into a data input application for maintenance data in your database delivering a user-friendly front end for end users.

One of the most outstanding features of Argos is the company behind it. Evisions is by far the best company to work with that a customer could ever find. Their tech support is exceptional: highly responsive, incredibly knowledgeable, never hesitating to offer a webex session and really dig in to find a solution. Software updates are very solid and dependable, saving us many hours of testing because of their track record of reliability.

Cons

The banded report editor is the weakest part of the software. It is the least intuitive and least flexible, only offering output in an often poorly rendered PDF file format. It lacks output options such as a Word file format, and forces you to construct your report output into bands of data, instead of a more flexible page layout format.

Reginald l. B.

Glad We Switches

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Use this for course scheduling, pulling the semester Schedules in a breeze. We also use this for locating our majors and their emails in order to develop and update our undergraduate lietserv

Pros

This is a much better product than Crystal Reports which we used before. It’s quite easy to use! What I like most is that when you print out a data sheet/report on the last page it leaves a trail of how you got to that report. I also like that you can save the reports in various formats to ensure the data prints out accurately.

Cons

Our program is ALWAYS down so not sure if that is something related to Argos or the campus system/servers. But, we get emails almost daily that reporting is on hold until an issue is fixed.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Enables an easy end user view of the data in a format that is useful for day to day work.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

The end users can do their work by running their on-demand reports and not waiting for a technical person to do it. It is easy to add or rearrange data on reports. You can build unlimited reports to handle all the special requests for specific purposes knowing that the data is accurate.

Pros

It is fairly easy to convert an sql script to a pool of data where you can create reports of all types for the end user to run on demand. You can select variables to create the pool or you can filter within the reports to get only the data the end user should have. You like spreadsheets, it can do that. You need to fill in forms, it can do that.

Cons

Variable functionality on some browsers. You can always get to where you want to be but sometimes you have to take detours with some versions of some browsers. sometimes it is a right click and other times you have to click on the tool button. Sometimes it doesn't show the whole list but you can type something in the search box and it will find it.

Anthony H.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I was using Argos for more than 10 years, I am happy with it, it is a good report tools

Good and easy to use

Pros

Argos is very simple to use and easy to learn, it has very rich of features that meet the requirement of my school. I like the free type of SQL statement most, because I am a programmer and had very strong skill of SQL scripts, therefore I can just write up the requirement by SQL and then paste into the SQL free type screen. The result return from the report is exactly what I need.
To develop a report a very easy, just a few click and it also has a lot of Graphic features available, that makes the report has with the highest vision effect.
Argos has a very good customer support and it can solve my problem in a very quick time.

Cons

My school is still cannot use single sign on to the Argo server, it may be something missing from the set up in my school. It is not easy and clear to relate the items in the variables to the form design screen.
When I use Argos to update Banner table, the DML set up is not clear, whenever user were in more than one groups, the lower privilege over written the highest one. We run Argos report in Oracle AppEx system, but whenever we change the Argos report, it is not simple, something like we need to re-compile the report and generate a new link.

Stephen F.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Argos replaced Crystal for most our customers on campus. Evisions is an outstanding company.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Argos allows us to create reports from different databases on campus.

Pros

The customer service is the best in the business at Evisions. There are a ton of training videos that help in the transition and ongoing use. There a 2 options for creating data blocks with one being for visual users with drag and drop and the other being for more technical users with entering SQL. A lot of our previous Crystal reports could be transferred quickly to Argos with minimal additional work.

Cons

Although most of our reports could be transferred quickly, some could not. This led to an entire department staying with Crystal. Their reports were too complicated to move in an efficient manner. There are some limitations to what you can do in the reports, but Evisions does listen to their customers, so updates are done frequently.

Excellent Higher Education Enterprise Reporting

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

We use Argos to report out of Ellucian's Banner for end users. The software, for these needs, is reliable and straight forward to use.

Pros

The ability to have reports scheduled to run and be run on demand is vital for my team. I value that you are able to access the reporting platform via the web or an application. The application/desktop version is more robust and is my preferred option. Exporting reports to .csv's is a good option with data manipulation needs to occur. Dashboards in Argos are helpful for viewing records and other items without having to export data.

Cons

The inability to view the SQL logic behind the reports/queries is frustrating as an end user. I understand from a security perspective why this is not allowed. The web interface tends to time out on larger/more complex queries.

Amanda W.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Our institution switched to using Argos for reporting a few years ago and quickly embraced it

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

The ability for our users to generate a large variety of reports or customize their reports from a large data block. This has helped cut back on the number of requests they send to our IT department for queries, reports, modifications, etc.

Pros

Argos is exceptionally easy to use for creating both simple csv data extracts as well as more complex, structured reports with customization of formatting, images and more. Argos helps our institution by allowing users to be less dependent on IT to access their data and more efficient in how they use that data in their business processes.

Cons

The responsiveness of the banded report tool can be tricky when trying to develop reports. I've found that it tends to lock up or render slowly (sometimes the graphics flash/jump around on the page). When previewing reports sometimes the data rendered isn't right.

A bit frustrating as a second-level user in an organization, but provides valuable information!

Reviewed on 19/06/2018

This software provides real-time access to data and statistics and provides a lot of flexibility in reporting options, so that you can get the information in a format that works for your needs!

Pros

I have use this software as a part of my Lead Support role at Lansing Community College. It is very handy to have access to information that pulled real-time from our college's student information system, and it has a LOT of flexibility in the way that you can set up and run reports to meet your statistical needs.

Cons

I am a second-level user in the fact that I can run reports, but I do not have administrative access to the software. For me, it tends to get a bit frustrating when I want more advanced information and I have to get a response from elsewhere in the organization to create a report that fits my needs. I don't think this software is particularly intuitive either. I am really adept at learning software, so I caught on quickly, but I often find myself training other people in our office, especially at ways to manipulate the reports to generate the information that you want. It sometimes takes a few tries to find and generate things in a format that works well!

Bryan F.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Argos is reliable, versatile, and capable of handling all of your reporting needs.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

It has greatly improved efficiency and accuracy in our reporting and error checking. We have also greatly increased our email communication through this software.

Pros

I am a power user for Argos. I have used it in my position for higher education everyday for six years. The greatest portion of this product for me is the scheduler. I use it to send reports to email address, Box.com, and server locations. It is also used to send reports directly to the printer and to send mass emailed, individually tailored to each student or faculty member.

Cons

I would say that what I like the least is the limitation factors of connecting to multiple data sources at one time. This can be done, but it does take much longer to process.

Nadeem H.

Argos is an excellent tool. We are starting to implement this reporting tool.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Pros

I like the ease of use. A nontechnical user can go in and use a datablock and build reports and dashboards. Other institutions are able to share there schema and our report devolpers can easily configure and use this to build reports. The new graphics pie charts, bar charts, email bursts would be a useful feature for my institution. Evisions is investing time and effort for n making this tool better. I am excited to see the roadmap in the near future.

Cons

Would like to start to see integration in Banner.
I would like to see more canned reports
I would like to see more BI to be on dashboard, There may be some available on the coop
I would like to see feature like email, drill down options (may be delivered already)
Customer support and training available on web
Security based on banner roles or departments

Alejandro A.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Excellent solution for all our reporting needs. Easy to use for developers and end users.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

No matter where our data source was, we were able to connect to it and create reports in Argos. This way we were able to centralize all reporting making Argos our reporting standard.

Pros

One of the biggest advantages of Argos is the ability to combine different data sources into a single report. This enable us to create reports that marries data from different sources like Oracle, SQL, mySQL, mariaDB etc.

Cons

There's not much to say about things I don't like too much about Argos. There's always room for improvement in all areas. Probably charting was the one where they were not making too much progress but the latest updates updated the charting in Argos and now it looks more modern.

Mayna H.
Industry: Higher Education

We have absolutely no regrets on switching to Argos. It is powerful, flexible, and easy to use.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Fewer calls to IT for data; Happier end users.

Pros

The ease of use and the flexibility. We are able to provide our end users a "one-stop shop" for many of their data needs by pulling multiple facets of the data into one datablock that they can manipulate as they need. Not only that, but select end users can also build communications (email) and send adhoc or on a schedule without assistance from IT. Our users love it and we love it.

Cons

Not being able to connect to more than one datasource in one datablock.
This is not something we would need often, but occasionally the need does arise.

Chris C.

One of the Best Tools we Use

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

We are able to do a wide range of reporting--from day to day operational reports to analytical dashboards. It is easy to use and doesn't have a steep learning curve for our end users.

Pros

It's flexibility in reporting data from various data sources. It is very easy to develop and expose reporting to end-users, which frees up IT resources to work on other projects. The customer support is top-notch! Evisions listens to it's customers!

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say about this product. Evisions is one of the best companies I work with, and Argos is the one of the best tools in our arsenal!

Dierdre K.

Fantastic product. Makes our entire staff more efficient and happy with their jobs.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

More productive, happy staff. Huge ROI. Facilitates collaboration.

Pros

The tool is very flexible in responding to our greatest needs. We no longer need to train new staff members on our clunky database. Everyone pushes and pulls info into the database via Argos, including all gift officers. We have a 100% rate of use in our database among front-line staff members due to our use of Argos.

Cons

You need someone on staff to develop datablocks, so there is training involved. But this really isn't a negative...there's training involved in all jobs!

Benjamin A.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Overall, Argos is a great reporting tool that is easily customizable and a breeze to develop in

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

*Ease of use
*Security permissions are very clear and easy to maintain
*You can develop charts and dashboards with a good SQL background
*Through the use of filters, you can create generic reports that are usable for several different business groups

Cons

*Charts and graphs can look a little dated, and the filtering logic is not inherent, as compared to Tableau or Qlik
*If using a lot of filters, you must code the cascading filter logic yourself, which makes it a pain if you have changes later on (adding or subtracting filters)

Susan T.
Industry: Higher Education

Very helpful - converted all of our reports

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

We were able to convert reports from another software system and make them easier to use and maintain. Some functional users were made Datablock Designers and Report Writers and are able to write their own reports, thus reducing the workload on the ITS department.

Pros

Easy to navigate, flexibility in design, great customer support. We were able to convert all of our reports from a more cumbersome software system.

Cons

Wish that report formulas accepted SQL operators IN and LIKE, instead of requiring nested IFs. Also would like more formatting options on extract (Excel-style) reports.

John T.

Argos is a solid reporting tool with enterprise pricing.

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

Pros

I enjoy the overall functionality offering. It provides not just CSV and banded reporting but the forms allow interactive functionality like drill downs and you can even building simple applications in Argos.

Cons

The visualizations are functional but dated looking and limited. Expanding the type of charts offered and options on them would go a long way towards modernizing it. I also dislike the lack of all colour in the interface, occasionally having some red for a delete or cancel icon would be nice.

Wendy R.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Overall Argos is a great reporting tool. It has many features to meet different needs.

Reviewed on 17/04/2018

Being able to distribute to many users more user friendly reports, more flexibility in report distribution options and robust functionality.

Pros

I love the easy bursting to send reports and the option to ftp the reports. The flexibility of the extract reports to format exactly how you need in different sections is great. I like being able to develop the SQL code into another tool and drop it into Argos to make it look pretty and add further functionality with the data sets. The library of objects saves a lot of time for elements that needs to be used in multiple dashboards. I love that they just keep making the product better all the time and are responsive to enhancement requests from users.

Cons

I wish it had an output to Excel format where some formatting could be included. I'm also looking forward to them being compatible with SAML log in capability.

Justin G.
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Functionality over appearance

Reviewed on 05/10/2018

Pros

I love the ability to set folder shortcuts for daily reports. This if more efficient than navigating from the root folder each time you're trying to run a report. The search feature also helps save time when trying to find a less commonly used report.

Cons

In general, the UI isn't very attractive or clean looking. It definitely feels like a utilitarian report database. However, this shouldn't detract from the solid functionality of this software.

Kevin B.
Industry: Higher Education

I use Argos to write reports and send email blasts

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

the ability to use argos to transition our office to have more information in front of each counselor immediately has significantly reduced the time it takes to package.

Pros

I like the versatility. There are several processes that this software has helped automate. I was able to grow with my SQL abilities to go from visual design to a free type user.

Cons

"testing" is difficult. There is quite a few hoops to jump through to test it without it doing the real thing.

Lavasha S.

I am still fairly new to Argos but so fair it is ease of use.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

The most impressive aspect of Argos is the turnaround of tech support. The submission to respond ratio is fairly high. Also, Argos is building an evolving platform that include new and exciting features and functions.

Cons

I am still waiting on Argos to implement two-factor authentication. We place high emphasis on establishing a secure platform and the two-factor authentication will help in accomplishing that goal.

Deirdre M.
Industry: Higher Education

I couldn't do my job without Argos

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

So many. I use Argos for everything from ad hoc reporting to letter generation.

Pros

Argos allows me to respond quickly to the numerous requests for data I get each day, as well as giving me a tool with which to address more complicated projects.

Cons

Banded reports can be difficult to format. Lining everything up just right is tricky, and spacing gets weird when I use a lot of conditional bands.

Deborah L.
Industry: Education Management

We've had nothing but positive experiences with Argos. The support and training staff are great!

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

The software definitely helped with data governance as well as the ability to share data with other departments on campus. The main feature that most departments are utilizing is the ability to send email blasts and to send scheduled reports.

Pros

The thing I like most about this product is it's flexibility. There are a lot of things you can do with Argos (email blasts, scheduled reports, dashboards, OLAP cubes, etc.). In addition, the customer support team is great. Compared to other reporting tools, Argos is definitely worth its value for money.

Cons

One thing that I would like to see is the ability to pull from multiple databases in one datablock. I would like to see a feature with mapping datapoints, but I could see how that might make the product more expensive.

Eddie B.

Overall, I'm very happy with Argos. Its ease of use is its strongest point.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Pros

I like its ease of use the most. It's intuitive so once the SQL is developed, everything else falls into place.

Cons

As a technical person, I don't care for the visual developer. Everyone seems to really prefer free SQL. The trade off for its ease of use if that it sometimes is restricting. For example, the tabs are very small and there's no way to make them larger.