Bókun

Write a Review!
Cloud-based booking management solution for tourism industry

4.7/5

António Pedro
António Pedro

A huge change

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

Pros

I joined Bokun when they got acquired by Tripadvisor. The small commission was at drove me in, but then I realized it was so much more. It was easy to use, easy to integrate on our website with the widgets and I even found a payment provider better than the one I was using that connected well with them. But I would say the best is their customer service. The whole team is just nice and I've met a few of them at Arival as well. I always tell people when they start using bokun on my team or other teams (to which I have recommended bokun to) - the chat is your best friend, backed by very good tutorials!

Cons

Initially, the fact that the bookings could not be seen in a calendar was a difficulty, but it has been fixed.

Jason

Review of Bokun Software

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Bokun makes the management of reservations and finances much easier and much more efficient for us.

Pros

Great API connectivity with key partners to ensure that our reservation information is up-to-date and accurate. Easy to add schedules, make modifications and update as necessary.

Cons

Still missing important features with incoming bookings that are necessary for our work: notably we receive no information on the language of the activity of the reservation. We also cannot create one-off bookings/reservations of on request services; if we were able to create orders with one-time products/services instead of being restricted to selecting something form the catalogue, Bokun would satisfy all of our reservation needs.

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

At the time, the size of Bokun corresponded with the size of our company, which was excellent as we were sure they would understand our specific needs and point of view when using the platform.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Jason,
Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We are always updating and improving the Bokun product, and we appreciate your suggested product updates! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other suggestions.

Technical errors & unfriendly policies

Reviewed on 15/04/2020

We use bokun for booking of tour products via our website. However, after negative experiences with Bokun we are now looking for a better option - luckily there are countless better booking software products out there.

Pros

The possibility for resellers to gain access to your products.

Cons

Fairly many bugs in the system and exploitative terms & conditions. For tour operators: If a tour gets cancelled by the customer for whatever reason (sickness, travel restrictions due to covid 19, change of travel plans etc.) Bokun keeps all fees paid for the bookings if it is cancelled later than 1 month after the booking was placed by the customer. In total our company has lost about 10k NOK due to this policy, and we are expecting to loose quite significant amounts due to all the covid 19 related cancellations. While we refund the customer, being an understanding company that treats our guests with respect and doesn't take money for a tour that the guest cannot attend due to the world being in a crisis, bokun still takes the fees leaving the tour operator not only without income but with the burden of having to pay a fee for a booking that was cancelled!! At the same time their marketing strategy is trying to make them seem understanding and helpful to its users. Pure hypocricy! After having used bokun for quite some time now we have decided to look for an alternative booking system with less technical issues, provided by a company that values its customers and treats them fairly.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

We are sorry to hear about your poor experience. Our support team is here to help. We believe that this particular issue has been rectified, but please do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected].

To clarify a bit, we only charge a service fee for bookings made on your website when using our online booking engine; all bookings from other channels such as offline, from OTAs, or travel agents come at no charge from Bokun. We don't charge a fee for cancelled direct online bookings that are cancelled within the same month as the booking. But we do not automatically refund for past fees you've already paid to Bokun for bookings made in previous months.

We do hope that clarifies, and again our support team is here to help always, and especially during this difficult time.

The Bokun Team

Irene

Excellent customer support

Reviewed on 07/04/2024

Pros

24h live chat. Everytime we have an issue someone always helps us resolve it.

Cons

No cons so far. Everything we had difficulty understanding is solved.

Adie
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Helpful to manage and grow bussines tour and activities

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

I can grow my company and easy manage booking ,create product and also can be partner with others through this software.So I will keep use this bokun software.

Pros

The feature is very helpful to load,manage all of product we need.All of that is very easy to use also for beginner.This software can integrate with web and any and easy to create widget.

Cons

the feature always updating following our needs.All of step very familiar,no need expert to use this software.I can create own website in this software also they integrating with payment gateway like TrustMyTravel.

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Bokun connected with tripadvisor,viator and other OTA when the first time I know this software
Brian
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great product with awesome features

Reviewed on 25/04/2020

This software has lots of great features. I like everything about the software and the customer service is smooth and always friendly.

Pros

The idea of using software to centralize our sales from different channels is simply amazing. Bokun helped us put in order many of our internal processes. Plus, it's simply useful to use the Marketplace to find new partners.

Cons

I'm pretty good with technology but it was hard for some of my colleagues to understand the functionality of Bókun. I guess a better design would help. Also, trying to make things more simple and user-friendly would be great.
And sometimes it delays to load but not sure what the reason would be.

Rezdy and TrekkSoft

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Great price, great features, video tutorials to help, and from the very first moment they got my attention when I could see how easy it was to manage all our bookings.
Alexandra
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

All in one easy and friendly to use

Reviewed on 31/05/2020

I'm selling my tours in several websites and agents, and Bokun was the best choice that I could have done for my company. Tried other before and this one got me to where I wanted.

Pros

When I came across with Bokun I thought it would be another headache... I was so wrong. Easy to use, friendly and suoer nice costumer support.

Cons

I would love to have more time to explore all the features more detailed. So far I haven't seen any negative points.

TrekkSoft

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Easy to use, friendly approach, very reasonable price, no monthly fees, integration.
Nils
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great software for tour operating with online sales channel

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

Pros

Bokun is incredibly easy to set up and use, while offering tons of features and an incredibly helpful support team.

Cons

Some features were interlinked and required us to set up a chain of different things, which got a bit confusing at times. This has, however, been mostly resolved by recent updates.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Nils,
Thank you for your review. We are always updating the Bokun product based on feedback from customers like you, so we're happy to hear that recent product updates have resolved some of your concerns. Please do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected] if there are other enhancements you would like to see added to Bokun.

Adam

Would 100% Recommend

Reviewed on 30/07/2019

Overall an amazing experience. I’m a big advocate for Bokun.

Overall an amazing experience. I’m a big advocate for Bokun.

Pros

Implementing Bokun is one of the best decisions we have made. We were not using a reservation management took before. It has saved us at least 3-4 hours a day of booking management. It has enabled us to significantly scale our growth. The customer experience has vastly improved with the availability manager, booking widget and automated emails. Pricing can’t be beat.

Cons

There are some bugs that have taken long to fix, some still ongoing many months after launching. Movement seems to be a bit slow

FareHarbor

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Pricing/extra fees for our customers was the biggest factor initially.
Nicholas

Great Product, Bit of a learning curve

Reviewed on 27/04/2020

Over all, worth it.

Over all, worth it.

Pros

This helps organize all of our products in one place, keeps track of our reservations and makes it easy to sell on our own website.

Cons

Takes some time to understand how to set up the products and the customer service is not very helpful in getting you through this learning process.

Diane

Enjoyable experience

I have been extremely happy with Bokun and the customer service

I have been extremely happy with Bokun and the customer service

Pros

Was with another software company since changing to Bokun my bookings have tripled

Cons

Calander for employees is not easily accessible. I would like to see weekly calendar that employees would see as a schedule

FareHarbor

Reasons for Choosing Bókun

Needed more exposure

Peek Pro

I really liked the Customer Service and exposure
Verena
  • Industry: Sports

Support team is the best

Reviewed on 26/09/2018

It really helps us in our internal communication and organization.
It would be great if it would...

It really helps us in our internal communication and organization.
It would be great if it would help us in our marketing in the future. We have made contracts in the marketplace but none of them really brings us much business so far.

Pros

The customer service! Very quick, very clear, very helpful for all kind of questions and problems.

Cons

For example it should be more easy to make bookings for travel agents or clients which are not in the marketplace. It is a bit complicated to first set them all up as affiliates or agents and then make the bookings for them. Imagine, often hotels or booking offices call in to make a booking and I have to be much quicker to put the booking in.
The software is therefore in my opinion too limited to the marketplace.

I usually use the booking desk to put new bookings in but unfortunately it does not safe the commission here. I have to put it in as discount after I finished the booking.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Verena, thank you for your kind words!

Our help center is full of tips for using our product more effectively with both agents and affiliates. For agents, you're able to provide them with login access to your back-end system so they can make the bookings themselves without needing your assistance. You can also create an Agent Booking Area for agents to book your tours more easily. You can provide affiliates with booking engines that they can enter onto their website for customers to book directly. When a customer books a tour through them, you can see it immediately in your Sales Feed & track it in the Affiliate Report.

When using the Book: Experiences feature, you can choose an agent to view all of the products that are available to them. Commission will be added automatically so there's no need to add the discount afterwards. We are happy to work with you to ensure you're getting the most out of our Marketplace.

Please don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance!

Carrie

Online Booking with Bokun

Reviewed on 11/05/2021

Once you are familiar with Bokun it's a superb tool and the support team is awesome, always just a few minutes away to help you solve your issues.

Pros

When we decided for Bokun it was the mix of an online booking system for accommodation, activities plus the all Bokun Marketplace where you could connect with suppliers and vendors from all over the world and resell their products or have them resell yours.

Cons

It was rather complex to get acustomed with the product. Bokun is not a simple "plug & play" solution. You will have to own a good amount of time, dig in, get to know it and then strategically plan what you want to get out of the system and how, before doing it.
A clear con today is that Bokun no longer has a focus on the accommodation section, unfortunately. Because we were on it from the beginning we still have access to the tool, which is sadly our most important tool. But Bokun is no longer putting any effort into developing the accommodaton part.

Ralf
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Best value for money reservation

Reviewed on 09/12/2019

At the beginning I was a bit struggling, but now as I know the system, it works very well. When I have a problem I get support very quickly.

Pros

It is cheap and works very closely with Viator (TripAdvisor Experiences) and Expedia

Cons

The fact that it is owned by the biggest player, i.e. Tripadvisor. First of all it is a big advantage but at the same time a risk with regards to GetYourGuide (another very strong partner of mine). So I use two Reservatins System. I work with bokun and have Viator, Expedia, Musement, Holibob, TourHQ etc. connected and on the other side I use GYG directly.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Ralf,
Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you aren't using Bokun to connect with GetYourGuide. We assure you that our goal is to get you connected to and selling on as many channels as possible, in order to put you in front of every potential customer. Bokun shares none of our customer data with the TripAdvisor Experiences / Viator account management team. If you do decide you want to use Bokun to connect to GetYourGuide, or you want to learn more about our GYG partnership, please reach out to us at [email protected].

Kormákur
  • Industry: Hospitality

The best solution for the busy Tour operator

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

Our experience has been great, sure we have had some challenges keeping up with all their new features but in the end it has made our life so much easier.

Pros

Ease of use and quick setup is at the core of the bokun system and they achive that without sacrificing more complex operations. We have regularly had demo's of other booking systems but none have provided us with the options and ease of use that Bokun has.
Job well done

Cons

Sometimes it has been too easy to setup new products and we have ended up with too many to keep overview. Luckily, the bokun support is amazingly fast to respond when we get into trouble.

Xola , Rezdy and TrekkSoft

Reasons for Choosing Bókun

Ease of use and feature packed software
Ben
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Bokun has just become another one of the bunch

Reviewed on 30/09/2020

It was a great software at the beginning. Not anymore

It was a great software at the beginning. Not anymore

Pros

When Bokun launched, I loved the product. It was affordable, solid and easy to implement into my website. The worst is that they slowly because just another one of the bunch by suddenly increasing their transaction feed. Now they've just become a subscription service and they put you into their PRO plan knowing that few people check all their emails and this way they will charge you when their plans change in November. Now their pricing is no longer affordable and they no longer have any meaningful differentiation from the dozens of similar software out there.

Cons

Their sneaky practices, constantly changing their plans and charging you unexpectedly. One cannot trust that this software will not change their plans and policies several times in the span of a couple of years.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Ben, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We're sorry to hear that our recent pricing change has overshadowed the product features that you used to love.

We continue to offer a free plan alongside our paid PRO plan to cater to different business needs. At the moment, we're giving our existing customers a month's free to test out all of the PRO features, and have online booking service fees waived for October. Hopefully, this gives you time to test which features work for your business, and you can have the flexibility to choose between the PRO and free plans after.

At the same time, we've reduced our online service fees by almost half from 2.9% to 1.5% under the new pricing.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to our Support team at [email protected] if you have any questions regarding your pricing plan.

Haukur

Gamechanger for my company

Reviewed on 20/05/2020

I love Bokun booking system! That means, I give them 10 out of 10, and I dont give that note often :-)

Pros

I simply love Bokun booking system. It's simple to use, great possibilities, Sevice is great and they listem to their customers to improve the system

Cons

I did not find any bad sides of the software because the service team they quickly solve the few problems I had.

Ahmet
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great software for any size of company

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

Pros

Great reservation and booking system for Tours&Activities agents, suppliers...
Since around 6 months I am using Bokun actively. Thanks to the colleagues of Bokun who have contacted me and offered a half hour training 6 months ago. Since that time I have increased the number of my products to more than 100 and I have also now 6 active contracts with resellers and OTAs, which were listed in the Bokun Marketplace. I always get quick answers to my requests from their support team. The pricing conditions of Bokun is incomparable. %2.9!!!
And recently the experiences widget HTML codes for our website and any other place(Share link via Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp etc) is really great!!
Great Thanks to all the colleagues at Bokun in Iceland and Boston who have contacted me and also to other team members...
Ahmet V.
Holiday Experiences
Marmaris - Turkey

Cons

The system and the features are easy to use, but you need some time till you get used to them. There are really endless details in the system, which can be used according to different needs of the users.
Some minor changes could be done so that it becomes more user friendly.

Adalsteinn Svan
  • Industry: Maritime

Backbone of our business!

Reviewed on 30/07/2019

Pros

Bokun gives us a thought oversight of our operations and helps us planing our tours ahead of time. Easy access to all bookings helps us sending out invoices at the right time which at the end of the day helps us with maintaining a healthy cash flow.

Cons

I would prefer a more helpful dashboard to be really able to crunch the numbers and statistics, this year vs the next etc. needing to export a sheet to takes time and effort when it can all be easily added to the dashboard. For example we’d love to push one button to see a breakdown of nationalities compared now, compared to last month and recent years.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Adalsteinn Svan,
Thank you for your review and for sharing your dashboard reporting suggestions. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] if you have any other product enhancement suggestions.

neeraj
  • Industry: Events Services

Bokun is waste of time and money

Reviewed on 27/04/2023

We really dislike BOKUN because it is for small private experience, but if it is large company the services qre very bad, TRhis software is made only for viator or maybe otyher OTAs but not for daily uses,

Pros

The product list widget, that i can't someone and they can use all the products,

Cons

The CUSTOMER Services, everytime you write them: They say:"WE HAVE IMPLIMENTED YOUR FETURE REQUEST AND SOON WE WILL GIVE YOU ANSWER" After 6 months no answer.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Neeraj, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our company. We're sorry to hear that you're not happy with the platform and experience. While we want to hear all about the improvements that you're missing from our platform, we can't promise that these will be implemented or that they will be implemented swiftly, since any request need to go through validation by our product team and an assessment by IT first. We understand that your raised feedback is a feature that you need, and your feature has been submitted to the relevant department for evaluation.

We're sorry to hear that you feel this platform can't be used for daily use. Currently, our platform may be part of Tripadvisor but is its own subdivision and operating independently. You can connect to OTAs, your own system and partners using the marketplace and our use is meant for daily operations getting your bookings together in one place.
Many thanks - Valerie Bókun support team

Frank
Frank

It works great for me

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

I'm generally happy. I was assisted with my site and setting it up. I have been able to reach out to other resellers and operators in the marketplace and have working contracts with them. Everything has been easy for the most part. The only time I had an issue was when I would make a change that would affect the other OTA's and throw it out of synchronization, but Bokun was always quick to help me.

Pros

I am a sole proprietor operating food tour experiences. When I purchased Bokun they assigned a person to help me set up my site. That person would check back with me and any questions I had I would reach out to them. This allowed me to get up and going super quickly.

Cons

I still needed some help in getting it all set up so it's still a little bit more difficult than it should be. The only problems I had were when I would make changes that would throw the synchronization between the different OTA's out of whack and it wasn't immediately evident what it was that I did at the time. However, those are operator errors (my errors). Each time it happened, Bokun would help me out by letting me know exactly where those errors were made.

Stepan

Amazing booking solution affordably

Reviewed on 09/12/2019

Bokun provides the only booking solution my business will ever need (I am hoping so:). Moreover, having the majority of OTAs and resellers synced with one booking engine makes it flawless to manage calendar and reservations.

Pros

At first, the structure and functionality of this software overwhelm but in no time the user will gradually start appreciating every little detail which makes it so easy to manage all aspects of a prospering tourism company. Bokun provides solutions for tons of different products and services. It also feels that they are always around to give you an extra tip to improve your business or use a new tool they just released.

Cons

It takes time to learn how to operate this software, but this applies to everything serious and well made.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Stepan,
Thank you for your kind words and for sticking with the training as you got ramped up on Bokun. As you said, it takes time to learn the entire system, but we are so happy that you have gotten so much value out of the Bokun system and are using it to connect with distribution partners, sell on your website, and manage your calendars and reservations.

Brittany

Lifesaver!

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

I use bokun as a channel manager with a direct API connection into my custom booking software. No other system was able to accomonadte this for me. The support team has been amazing along the way.

Pros

At first, Bokun may seem to lack a few features. I promise you it is there! After doing some digging and reaching out to my account manager, I was able to discover all the possibilities that Bokun can do.

Cons

Like any reservation software, there will always be some kinks or things that arent quite like you wish they were

Xola , Rezdy and FareHarbor
Victoria

Excellent program

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

Well our company needed more organization with the reservation sistem, and bokun really help to control our reservation and make it easy for everyone

Pros

It is really easy to use and really fast to find all the options

Cons

Sometimes the matching connection is wrong but support service always help us

Reasons for Switching to Bókun

Because the program is easier to use
Mr. Abraham

Bokun for Tour and Activity operatros

Reviewed on 09/12/2019

we get good readership and visibility for our products. we will continue adding more day and multi-day excursions and off-road safaris on Bokun.

Pros

Bokun is great software for tour and activity operators. The day to day activities itinerary feature and
online payment possibility for customers is amazing.

Cons

they are yet to fulfit in the best way possible, the pricing option based on participants on a shared transport.

Response from Bókun, A TripAdvisor Company

Hi Abraham,
Thank you for your review and for your feedback on the ability to offer different pricing based on transportation options. We have some solutions we'd like to suggest that will allow you to offer different pricing based on if the type of transportation your customer is selecting -- please reach out to us via [email protected] or the chat in the product, and we will help you get it set up.