MindMeister

Cloud-based mind mapping tool for organizations of all sizes

4.1/5

Stefan Eugen
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

An invaluable tool

Reviewed on 09/04/2021

Pros

Great interface, easy to use, instant synchronization.

Cons

I use it as todo/note organizer, grouping them by subject and specific to my usage I would have liked to have metadata that can be attached to items (date, priority, ...) and then having the possibility of sorting items on the same level by that metadata.

Dimitri

Turn ideas into action! Connect mind maps with task management

Reviewed on 21/09/2019

It leaves only one question open: How can anybody work efficiently without these two fantastic applications??

Pros

Think about it: For the first time ever, Mindmapping and Task Management are perfectly connected with each other! And both applications are uniting simplicity and efficiency in such a great way that you really want to work with them every day. No matter, whether you do brainstorming in a meeting, or need to sort your thoughts for to launch a new product, starting a new marketing campaign, ordering your competitive data or just simply make notes about a class you are intending, there is only one perfect tool you can easily use for everything: MindMeister.
MindMeister is not only a stoning beautiful and absolutely intuitive application, but it super effective and supporting your efficienc by directly creating tasks and assigning them to individual persons.
In case somebody missed the meeting, or you need to replay how the mindmap got built, simply click on the replay button and it gets constructed again right in front of your eyes.
Generate impressive powerpoint presentations with a click of a mouse button or manually in just seconds.
Collaborate interactive online on the same maps in real-time. Build knowledge bases by connecting mindmaps with each other.
You will never forget anything anymore because you will find any information easily again in one of your mindmaps.
On top of everyhting, MindMeister has a number of templates integrated for the majority of your needs, like SWOT analysis, decision matrix, homework planning, exam preparation, lesson and many more.

Cons

Nothing. MindMeister in combination with MeisterTask is the only right tools you will ever need for an efficient task and project management.

Brian
  • Used for 2+ years

There are better free options

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

We stopped using MeisterTask and MindMeister a while ago.
We now use Jira.
I wish we were able to...

We stopped using MeisterTask and MindMeister a while ago.
We now use Jira.
I wish we were able to cancel the service :(

Pros

It is a mind mapping program.
It worked alright.

Cons

We used it a few times and then it became unneeded.
It is hard to cancel the service so I suggest staying in the free version.

Response from Meister

Hi Brian,

We're sorry to hear you were disappointed with MindMeister. We're always looking to improve our apps and learn from our users' experiences, both positive and negative. We'd love to hear about specific areas where you faced issues, or any features which you feel could be improved. Be sure to reach out to us at [email protected]

Thanks,
The Meister Team

Colin
Colin
  • Industry: Computer Networking

MindMeister - Easy to use, powerful and flexible Mind Mapping software

Reviewed on 15/01/2019

If you use Mind Mapping (and you should), Mindmeister is a great tool. Users are productive from day one; additional features to embellish maps can be used after the mapping exercise to create a passable presentation. As it is a SaaS product, easy to have several people contributing to a map. Highly recommended.

Pros

Very easy to use - the tool doesn't get in the way of the process; critical for mind mapping
Reorganise and rearrange maps easily - even create submaps with links back to parent
Good integrations - e.g. Microsoft Teams
Can publish maps to public library, embed on website or share as editable or view only

Cons

Few complaints; resizing images could be easier (tough to grab the corner!); the interface could be prettier, but I'd sooner have functionality than pretty.
Printing large maps on a single sheet or PDF is trickier than it needs to be.
Sharing process could be simpler.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Fast brainstorming and collaboration

Reviewed on 29/11/2022

Pros

I used MindMeister in several brainstorming sessions, during Agile software development projects. The best thing about it was how it enabled the team to collaborate real time in the creation of the project mind map. The web interface is clean and usable, and you can also do everything by using only the keyboard through shortcuts to add/edit/remove mind map nodes.

Cons

Unfortunately there are limitations in the basic plan, so if you need to have more than a few mind maps active you need to upgrade to a paid plan. Also, not all export options are available. Finally, I'd reccomend a fast internet connection if you plan to collaborate with your team, since real time collaboration is more resource-consuming.

XMind, Miro, FreeMind and Visio

XMind, Miro, FreeMind and Visio
Chris
  • Industry: Program Development
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

New User Interface Impossible

Reviewed on 21/10/2023

Pros

Mind-mapping function not bad but forces order, length and position of topics such that producing a balanced map is extremely difficult.

Cons

The new User Interface / Menus have made it impossible to even find your mind-maps;Account details and subscriptions no longer reflect reality such that every time I try to navigate, I'm offered an upgrade to something I'm already paying;Help and Contact Us menus just take you round in circles; a truly appalling experience that wastes my very valuable time; I've now had to cancel my account - laughably I'm warned at least 3 times that all of my mind-maps / data will be irretrievably lost - strangely enough I have cancelled the account specifically because of this - it's already lost or 'hidden' in a nonsensical UI. I suspect I will however continue getting charged for the service...

Andy
Andy
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Mynd Meister

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

Enjoying using this mind mapping tool

Enjoying using this mind mapping tool

Pros

Intuitive mind mapping tool that for the most part is free to use. Obviously if you need / want all the 'hokey kokey' features you have to upgrade, but i have found that, at the moment, the free version is suffice for my needs.

Cons

All the printing downloading can't really be done with out upgrading

MindManager

Reasons for Switching to MindMeister

free
Edgar
Edgar
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

A professional mind mapping option cheap and online

Reviewed on 25/01/2021

I actually did like it. After login a quick tutorial gets you mind mapping after a few clicks and other five tutorials get you using the whole interface on the fly.

Pros

Mindmeister has been around for quite a while, and as well as other mind mapping software its main goal has been making things simpler and simpler.
Professionals from any field have two things in mind: shortage of time and exporting options.
Mindmeister's evolution has gone online with in browser mind mapping app and also computer installed versions as well as mobile apps. It's new price packages are quite reasonable but you can start making up to three mind maps for free on its basic free version.

Cons

Exporting options are only available through paid accouts, have that in mind in case you are considering testing it out first.

Jennifer
Jennifer
  • Industry: Consumer Services

great tool

Reviewed on 16/11/2018

It easily helps me to lay out what needs to happen next in my phases of growth. Goal setting and steps on how to achieve my hopes in a clear visual way.

Pros

The use of getting all of your thoughts out on the map and then organizing it all into a well-thought-out plan of action.

Cons

Every mind map I've ever used has its own quirks and it takes a little time to figure out how to use the information and the tools.

Sergio
Sergio

Awesome Mind-Mapping Software!

Reviewed on 24/03/2022

Pros

Have a great idea that you want to launch or turn into a start-up in your mind? Mind Meister is the productivity tool you mind to translate the mapping into your mind to a practical scheme you can share with your colleagues and teammates.

Cons

The free plan offers very limited functionalities and features.

Amir
  • Industry: Research

Your Next Step Towards Efiiciency

Reviewed on 15/09/2021

good :)

good :)

Pros

ease of use,
minimal preparation,
online collaboration

Cons

Available themes,
Tree like structure of mind map and not being able to create graphs of ideas,
not using the dimensions efficiently. (x axis may mean depth, y axis may mean breadth)

Response from Meister

Hi there Amir, thanks so much for reaching out! I've forwarded your suggestion about embedding graphs/tables/spreadsheets into mind maps to our product team. It's a great idea!

For now, you might find it helpful to attach a spreadsheet to a node, or to create an image of a graph/chart and insert it into your mind map.

If you have any questions, be sure to reach out to us on Twitter at @MindMeister or to send us an email at [email protected].

Thanks again and happy mapping!

-Andrew

Calum
  • Used for 6-12 months

Unreasonable company to deal with.

Reviewed on 12/04/2021

I do not recommend MindMeister. We paid for and tested the software and it did not meet our needs. When I was invoiced another 12-months, I requested a refund advising that I had forgot to cancel they refused. As a small business we are now out of pocket for something we aren't going to use. Even if I decide to revisit software like this in future, they will not be on the list.

Pros

We tested the software and found it wasn't for us, we had paid for a year however but it sat there and did nothing as we did not use it.

Cons

Nothing to report on. We just found better software.

Response from Meister

Hi Calum,

Thank you for your review!

We're sorry to hear you had a bad experience with MindMeister. Please let us know if we can still help with a refund.

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Convenient

Reviewed on 29/05/2021

Overall, I like MindMeister as a quick way to connect ideas as well as organize concepts and tasks.

Pros

I like that the software can save and export maps to Google Drive. I also like that it's flexible in content.

Cons

I dislike the limited number of maps available in the free account.

Response from Meister

Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your review!

We're happy to hear you like the way you can export maps to Google Drive. The number of available maps in a free account can be increased if you invite friends, to learn more about this please see:

Kind regards,

Rahul

The most useful tool for all my strategies & planning

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Pros

Often when we are working on some projects, business ideas or anything that requires planning, we always look out for some tool to organize and arrange our raw ideas. There are many tools available but the mindmaps by MindMeister seems to be the perfect fit. The concept of mindmaps with connections make the task easy and effective. It saves me a lot of time.

Cons

A few of my colleagues use mind node on mac and they say that the UI is better with a little more features. So, I expect MindMeister to include a little more features like connection customization and a little improvement in UI just like in MilaNote.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Easy mind-mapping and group brainstorming

Reviewed on 24/12/2022

Pros

Creating mind maps is very straightforward. There are plenty of models to start from and the real time collaboration features allow you to brainstorm with your team very easily. There are also many color and icon options to decorate your maps.

Cons

Exporting to pdf sometimes cut part of the mind maps, so be sure to optimize all spaces before exporting.

XMind and FreeMind

XMind
Carlin

Great Mindmapping tool

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

Pros

MindMeister is a fantastic MindMapping tool. Very useful for brainstorming new ideas.

Cons

The free tool does not come with the ability to upload images.

Response from Meister

Hi Carlin,
Thank you for your review. Our free plan is add-free and offers the option of creating up to three maps. Developing and maintaining our website and apps is however costy and at the moment it is not viable to provide all features for free, we hope for your understanding.
We however appreciate your feedback.

Have a great day,

BANU

Master of the Mind

Reviewed on 11/03/2020

Great help. At the time of my total confusion, it gave me a great hand to organize me and save time and energy.

Pros

It helped me organize everything, my work, my class, my presentation, events, and it is very practical, easy to use (user friendly)

Cons

I would like to download word format in personal version once or twice so that I can be sure to upgrade or not.

Janet

Helps me be creative

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

I design my own courses, and I use Mindmeister to help me outline and think through my course organization. At first I was not sure that it was worth the money. Because it was almost time for renewal, I decided to begin a new project and outline it by hand.

WIthin a day I realized that Mindmeister was definitely something that helped a lot. Not only can I move ideas around very easily, but I can also see my projects differently simply due to the ability to color similar ideas with the same color, and connect them to each other. Being able to move a chain of ideas without having to erase and start over was huge too. I realized that Mindmeister had been making a huge difference.

Pros

I like the visual aspect of creating an organized plan.

Cons

I would liked to have an actual list of different short tutorials.

• Industry: Publishing

Here comes the meister

Reviewed on 29/05/2022

Pros

I've tried several mind mapping software over the years, but none ever come close to the ease of use and advanced features packed into mind meister

Cons

Nothing, the free plan is a good place to start, while pricing for more advanced users, professionals and business is more than fair

Response from Meister

Wow, thanks so much for your review! :D We couldn't be happier to hear that you've had such a great experience using MindMeister. We'd love to stay in touch - please don't hesitate to reach out to us on Twitter at @mindmeister with any other comments, feedback or suggestions.

Thanks again, and happy mapping! :D

Maria

Simply and nothing superfluous

Reviewed on 31/01/2018

Pros

Endless tree and flexibility, ease of construction, links to other diagrams, the ability to include in the diagrams video, sound, graphics. Rich features on the free account. Integration with MeisterTask. You can set a language other than English.

Cons

For the time of using the application (about a year), there have not been any shortcomings yet. Everything works perfectly.

Al
  • Industry: Consumer Services

A visual representation of life

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

I have called "My Life" and its just that. everything from the day-to-day to projects etc and it works so much better for me than other systems I have tried. I think it because i am a very visual person and see life as a web more than a list.
I am also using it for a course aI am taking it and find it so easy to locate info when I need to go back and find something.

Pros

The ease of moving things around arranging and re-organizing is by far one of my favorite features. much easier then the copy past method used by alot of other products

Cons

So far it seams to be limited only by my imagination. I took a very inexpensive Udemy course to get more out of it and that was well worth it although if you are just using it for yourself that might not be needed.

Claire
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Visual Mapping Made Easy

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

I've used mind meister for the past couple of years to map out launches, challenges, email sequences and course contents. I'm able to attach documents, lists, images, videos etc. I absolutely love MindMeister and the app.

Pros

Wide range of structures to create
Wide range of templates available
lots of features for each little bubble (Task)
Colour coding
Icons/Emojis
Can export maps (back up)
Kept me on task for a launch - I would have used a wall and post-its before but this method is so much
easier, portable and sharable
Paid option is great if using on a daily basis and with a team

Cons

The limit of 3 maps on the free version but I do completely understand it

Moiz
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

MindMiester a fantastic tool for Mindmapping

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

I use it for customer task tracking, employee tracking and project tracking. It is an all in one tool, works perfect.

Pros

I love the ease of use, seamless interface. It supports extremely large mindmaps which are the kinds I eventually end up making. My productivity and project tracking both have improved using MindMeister.

Cons

Actually it has sufficed my purpose so far. I am using free version, so can't complain

Michael
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A perfect tool for supporting task tracking and ongoing discussions in complex projects.

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

I am using MindMeister to keep track on complex projects and to use it during status meeting for review of the current status and to capture all the brainstorming thats going on during those sessions. I find it very usefull to get a grip on all issues involved. I am using it activley in most of my discussions because it provides a graphicall depiction of the thought process that helps everybody involved to "get the big picture" while capturing and following up on the details as well.

Pros

MindMeister is easy to use and offers all the functionality needed to get your ideas organized. It perfectly supports tracking of tasks and help covering additional ideas coming up along the way during your daily project life.

Cons

Until now I found most of the features I desired. I will update you once I found something missing.

Brian

Sucker Punch Business Model

Reviewed on 22/06/2022

Good looking product, but traveler be wary.

Good looking product, but traveler be wary.

Pros

Looks cool, but beware of the trap door.

Cons

Not cool.
I just spent two hours creating a mind map. It looked great. When I tried to export it I got a screen that said I needed to upgrade to be able to download it. 60 bucks. Okay. I wanted to take another look at it. I clicked back one page and my map was gone. nothing. zapped. No option to save, take a minute to reconsider, or look at its functionality. That's a pretty horrible user experience.

Response from Meister

Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for reaching out - I'm sorry to hear you lost data while using MindMeister, this should absolutely not be the case!

Please reach out to [email protected] and we'll do all we can to assist you.

Best,