MindMeister

Cloud-based mind mapping tool for organizations of all sizes

4.3/5
4.5/5
4.7/5
4.3/5

206 Reviews for UK Users

Fraser N.

Still the gold standard of mind map software

Reviewed on 10/01/2020

Great piece of kit - helps me layout my plans in simple yet powerful graphical formats

Pros

It is so easy to use and gets great results every time

Cons

The output is limited even on the paid version so I need to pay extra for e.g. PPT output

FreeMind and MindManager

Reasons for Choosing MindMeister

It was just so much more limited than Mindmeister

FreeMind

Reasons for Switching to MindMeister

A complete mindmapping solution for all of us who prefer visual organization of information

Reviewed on 01/10/2019

As a predominantly visual person I need to see "the whole picture" when designing a new project and I do a lot of mindmapping on almost daily basis. I have the master mindmap with the key projects I am working on that branch out to smaller activities, tasks and deliverables and most of my notes related to the development are within the mindmap. As MindMeister offers a good number of icons to tag the individual branches I could clearly keep track of whole scope of the project and use the same space to add any ideas/notes I might have at the moment. Since you can easily collapse all the branches you are not using at the moment it really gives clarity and at the same time it helps me not to lose track of some processes or smaller deliverables that I could easily overlook in the task manager software I use. It also offers the integration with Meister Task so you can easily turn any branch into a task with deadlines and all. For me personally, the best use of mind maps is for brainstorming and planning stages of a project and I usually start by creating a map myself, adding ideas, processes and deliverables into it, and then sharing it with my colleagues at a meeting, which is usually followed by our joint work on the same map if the idea is chosen for the development. The app itself allows for all these, it has good visual interface, so after finding it and using it for a month I did not search for any other alternatives anymore.

Pros

As I use mind maps a lot I love to be able to have them available everywhere I go and to share them with my colleagues so we can work together on the same mind map. It offers everything mindmapping software should offer and it does it online (or through mobile app) so the only thing I need is the internet connection. The maps look very nice, there is a good number of templates and options (both map structures and design templates) so if you need a good mindmapping software I that is platform independent I could really recommend this one as I tried a couple of others before finding it. When you share the mind map with colleagues things get really great, especially during the ideation and planning stage of a project as everyone can add branches, expand on ideas which really helps make meetings more effective later.

Cons

This app also has the presentation mode that I have not found so useful. I see how it might be great to be able to present your mindmap to others instead of boring them with a slideshow, but I did not use it, so this would be the only thing that I am not really 'digging 100%. In essence, there is nothing bad about the app that I would highlight as it does its core function (mindmapping) really well. Of course, the free version has some limitations in terms of number of maps you can make and the export formats, but even the basic version can be enough for most users' needs.

Hon L.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Still using the free version

Reviewed on 23/12/2021

I love it... but really need to work on more affordable and easier pricing.

Pros

Very easy to use. Clean looking and clear.

Cons

It is very expensive for teachers who I assume would be a very group....

Response from Meister

Hi Hon, thanks for your review :D

So happy to hear you found MindMeister both powerful and intuitive!

We do offer academic discounts for students, teachers and professors at qualifying institutions. You can find out more here:

Best,

Andrew @ Meister

Brian G.
  • Used for 2+ years

There are better free options

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

We stopped using MeisterTask and MindMeister a while ago.
We now use Jira.
I wish we were able to cancel the service :(

Pros

It is a mind mapping program.
It worked alright.

Cons

We used it a few times and then it became unneeded.
It is hard to cancel the service so I suggest staying in the free version.

Response from Meister

Hi Brian,

We're sorry to hear you were disappointed with MindMeister. We're always looking to improve our apps and learn from our users' experiences, both positive and negative. We'd love to hear about specific areas where you faced issues, or any features which you feel could be improved. Be sure to reach out to us at [email protected]

Thanks,
The Meister Team

Oleg G.

Fantastic tool for mind maping

Reviewed on 10/11/2021

Pros

Easy to create mind maps.
Features to share and collaborate.
Cross devices.

Cons

Quite slow support. It takes about a week to get a response from support.

Quai F.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Mindmeister - Useful for Many Purposes

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Mindmeister has been really helpful with story and song planning, mapping out the recording process, keeping track of characters, locations, objects, and their relationships. It's been a lovely experience.

Pros

I'm a visual thinker, creator, and planner. As such Mindmeister is extremely useful in realizing visual imagery and information, pretty much effortlessly. It comes with lots of templates to get you started if you find them more convenient. But it's also really easy to get a mind map started from a blank canvass. After you begin building the map, it is easy to apply global styles or to style individual elements.

Another great feature is the ability to take a portion of a map and create a new map out of it, optionally leaving a link in the originating map. Highly convenient.

Cons

There aren't many cons. I wish it were easier to capture ideas quickly for working with later using the mobile app. Also on my wish list would be a way to text search for icons.

Andrew S.

Probably the best web based mind mapping tool

Reviewed on 26/06/2021

Pros

While there are many offline mind mapping tools available, there are few good web based ones. MindMeister really excels. It's very useable and fast with a good set of features. If you are used to working in the browser and like having your data stored in the cloud so that it's available from any device, then MindMeister is a great choice. I've used most other mind mapping software and still have some installed on my Mac, but I keep going back to MindMeister.

Cons

There's not really anything to dislike. It may take new users a little while to get used to if they are used to other mind mapping software but shouldn't take long.

• Used for Free Trial

Best tool for begin of everywhere!

Reviewed on 08/04/2020

Pros

Think widely, Sum in one mind-page.
Then we can have a few gaps in our team.
So easy to gathering think parts of teammates.

Cons

I think it will be more powerful to have functions that suggest or reply an element (like Google Docs, Sheets, Slides).

Jen K.

Mind-mapping: mind-blowing

Reviewed on 28/12/2021

Pros

This software is easy to use, friendly display. It does not take much time arranging ideas (a wide range of themes, layouts) or decorating it to our liking. Most crucially, it does help me retrieve info logically and not become overwhelming.

Cons

Often have trouble editing the info once done. Should input more choices of color for each theme

Response from Meister

Hi Jen, thanks a lot for your review! Happy to hear that you've been able to organize your thoughts and ideas in a more manageable way using MindMeister :D

I've forwarded your feedback on to our product team, who are always taking our users' wishes and needs into account. Customizable themes is one of our most requested features, so be sure to follow us on Twitter at @mindmeister to stay up to date on this and other new features.

Best,

Andrew @ Meister

Janet D.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

good

Reviewed on 05/01/2022

good

Pros

It is easy to use and user friendly to share ideas

Cons

The free trial is only for 3 mind maps

Fuat B.
  • Industry: Investment Banking
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Why the new home of the cloud teacing, learning meeting, brainstorm will be MindMeister?

Reviewed on 01/05/2021

Challenge of SB/Coach Foundation.

We need a tool to spread free and as possible as simplified, visualized free AIWorkspace network training to help people to reshape the workplace culture via trainee them by Mind Meister mind map app.

We will use MindMeister to trainee a couple million Capital Bridge Coaches of the ealrys-stage startup non-profit org, SB/Foundation and the entrepreneurs investment bank, EIBANK in 2022

Pros

As a Lecturer, and Founder of AIWorkspace Network$, the early-stage startup of the Entrepreneur's investment bank EIBANK, and non-profit org. SB/Coach Foundation, launch in 2022

I am happy to discover MindMeister to use free training of a couple of million capital bridge coaches of SB/Coach Foundation in the AIWorkspace by MindMeister Mind Map.

Why online educators, managers, marketing, sales, and CRM companies.

1. There is a FREE version for those who want to start to teach, or manage their own team, a project with MindMeister.'

The problems: Old-style teaching, training or meeting tools.
2. As a lecturer, and strategic action plan developer and founder for the early-stage tech startups, and as we all know, when we present a text, Pdf infographic, video, or slides to teach or training 90% of people not interested, or it was not possible to see the whole picture of the whole picture with even short videos, or slides.

Solutions
3. When you share your teaching plan, project plan, or training plan to own network, especially we are interested in online training, and when you share your mind map with related people via publish public or private via invite to mind map dashboard to your mind map, in a few minutes, related people can easily see the whole picture and easy to understand any teaching, training, or project details instead ofto force people with long videos, webinars to explain all education content, project content, or training

Cons

Benefits of Mind Meister for online educators, coaches, trainers, managers.

1. Open a FREE account to practice and to see how it is easy to plan your content.
2. Just browse templates or start from blank, in a couple of minutes, you can start to create your own strategic action plan or educational content, and you can be a pro-mind map expert in a couple of minutes.
3. Share with your community public or invite by email

Paul S.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Mindmeister - Is it the best mind mapping software for you?

Reviewed on 12/03/2020

Mind maps are a unique tool if you primarily use a computer as a brain amplifier.

The ability to list complex topics and show their relationship graphically can be done with other drawing or flow chart apps. But the true power of mind mapping is the ability to expand and collapse the data with a single click, allowing you to focus on just the set you want to see. You need specialized software to do this.

I recommend Mindmeister to anyone looking for an affordable, accessible and easy-to-use tool to "map out" your ideas. There is just about no better way to do this, no matter how simple or complex your project is.

Pros

The Mindmeister SaaS model is reliable, accessible and scalable. I have used it to create a simple list to massive data structures to map out complex products with hundreds of nested topics. It always works.

At first, I thought it was lacking features. However, upon continued use now over many years, I can see the logic behind keeping it simple and now enjoy the simplicity of the interface so I can concentrate on creating content rather than fiddling around with unnecessary options.

Actually, I have found just about everything I need for highly detailed maps. Images can be copied and pasted, then scaled within topics. Notes are simple but can be styled with just the right text options and images can be added if necessary.

Most of all, I love the option to revert back to any version in time which recently saved my life when I accidentally deleted a massive amount of data from a map that I have been working on for 6 months. This map has over 2100 versions and I was able to completely restore the lost data from weeks before.

Cons

I wish the topic Notes could be resized as they are fixed at a size that cuts off some information. You can scroll to see more but sometimes defeats the purpose.

Of course, the UI could be full of options for this or that but as stated above, I have come to appreciate the elegance of Mindmeister's feature set that is "just right" to get the job done.

Dimitri R.

Turn ideas into action! Connect mind maps with task management

Reviewed on 21/09/2019

It leaves only one question open: How can anybody work efficiently without these two fantastic applications??

Pros

Think about it: For the first time ever, Mindmapping and Task Management are perfectly connected with each other! And both applications are uniting simplicity and efficiency in such a great way that you really want to work with them every day. No matter, whether you do brainstorming in a meeting, or need to sort your thoughts for to launch a new product, starting a new marketing campaign, ordering your competitive data or just simply make notes about a class you are intending, there is only one perfect tool you can easily use for everything: MindMeister.
MindMeister is not only a stoning beautiful and absolutely intuitive application, but it super effective and supporting your efficienc by directly creating tasks and assigning them to individual persons.
In case somebody missed the meeting, or you need to replay how the mindmap got built, simply click on the replay button and it gets constructed again right in front of your eyes.
Generate impressive powerpoint presentations with a click of a mouse button or manually in just seconds.
Collaborate interactive online on the same maps in real-time. Build knowledge bases by connecting mindmaps with each other.
You will never forget anything anymore because you will find any information easily again in one of your mindmaps.
On top of everyhting, MindMeister has a number of templates integrated for the majority of your needs, like SWOT analysis, decision matrix, homework planning, exam preparation, lesson and many more.

Cons

Nothing. MindMeister in combination with MeisterTask is the only right tools you will ever need for an efficient task and project management.

Christina L.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Great Curriculum and NGSS Tool

Reviewed on 07/09/2020

Reworking curricula and developing y ideas was a lot easier when I didn't first have to spend two days learning how to use the software. At school right now we are being forced to use platforms the district already bought and they are clunky and do not have comparable features. It's taking me weeks to learn and wasting the time I need to plan out the actual lessons and develop materials.

Pros

I already love concept mapping and I was looking for a computer tool that was reasonable and easy to use to help me conceptualize organizing my curriculum, particularly to start to adapt to NYS adopting the NGSS and to make the content more engaging now that we are educating online because of COVID. This was so easy to learn to use, and the help and opening tutorial were super straightforward. Will probably end up paying fro this for sometime to see more features and continue to use it as a planning tool and to generate study guide for students.

Cons

Not sure if I can change to a different type of map when I've already started the map and Don't want to begin again from scratch, figuring it out.

Response from Meister

Hi Christina, thank you for your review. Regarding the point you mentioned in "Cons" - you are indeed able to change the map theme, select to override changes and if you do not like the new map style, you can click the Undo button and return back in the next step. As for changing the map layout, this can be changed anytime as well.

Your MeisterTeam

Colin M.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

MindMeister - Easy to use, powerful and flexible Mind Mapping software

Reviewed on 15/01/2019

If you use Mind Mapping (and you should), Mindmeister is a great tool. Users are productive from day one; additional features to embellish maps can be used after the mapping exercise to create a passable presentation. As it is a SaaS product, easy to have several people contributing to a map. Highly recommended.

Pros

Very easy to use - the tool doesn't get in the way of the process; critical for mind mapping
Reorganise and rearrange maps easily - even create submaps with links back to parent
Good integrations - e.g. Microsoft Teams
Can publish maps to public library, embed on website or share as editable or view only

Cons

Few complaints; resizing images could be easier (tough to grab the corner!); the interface could be prettier, but I'd sooner have functionality than pretty.
Printing large maps on a single sheet or PDF is trickier than it needs to be.
Sharing process could be simpler.

Rahul A.

The most useful tool for all my strategies & planning

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Pros

Often when we are working on some projects, business ideas or anything that requires planning, we always look out for some tool to organize and arrange our raw ideas. There are many tools available but the mindmaps by MindMeister seems to be the perfect fit. The concept of mindmaps with connections make the task easy and effective. It saves me a lot of time.

Cons

A few of my colleagues use mind node on mac and they say that the UI is better with a little more features. So, I expect MindMeister to include a little more features like connection customization and a little improvement in UI just like in MilaNote.

Ellen M.

Great Educational Tool

Reviewed on 03/02/2020

I often colloborate with university colleagues to write grants. We have used the program to model teaching and learning frameworks and to delegate project tasks. It is easy to use and the export features allow us to incorporate graphics into proposals.

Pros

What I love most about Mindmeister is the ability to collaborate with others on maps. I use it with colleagues to model, plan, and brainstorm. I also use it with my college students, who are pre-service teachers. When I assign a collaborative brainstorming activity, I can view the timeline to see when students contributed to the map. (This feature also allows you to revert to an earlier version of the map.) There are a multitude of educational uses of Mindmeister -- lesson planning, summarizing ideas, examining cause and effect, analyzing literature, detailing the steps in a process, and vocabulary study -- to name a few! Mindmeister has become an essential tool for teaching and learning.

Cons

My students sometimes have problems retireving maps - especially if they have started a map and only worked on it for a few minutes.

Brennan P.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Helped me sort my brain's information overflow.

Reviewed on 03/09/2021

Imagine you think like a computer, so organizing tasking into the base components and carrying them out is a great way to work, but what happens when your brain doesn't have multithreading capabilities and limited RAM? You start to lose things. Tasks, ideas, goals can get lost in the shuffle. With a well put together mind map you can keep running your brain the way it works while keeping organized track of all of your different projects on your mind map! It's truly fantastic. I recently used the service to map what I do in my current role at my job and it allowed me to feel confident in all of the places I have knowledge that I would have otherwise not remembered on the spot while writing my resume, cover letters, or even talking about myself. A wonderful way to keep your thoughts in order, and if you keep your maps to a specific goal, you can keep unwanted information from filling up your limited thought space!

Pros

The ability to really pour out the tiniest detail of your brain / task into a coherent way.

Cons

If you get expansive with your ideas, it can be hard to see with the limited font sizes and whatnot, but with a simple click and scroll wheel you can fix that problem...

Response from Meister

Dear Brennan, thank you so much for reaching out and taking the time to write such an extensive review! We're thrilled to hear that MindMeister has been such a useful tool for bringing organization to your thoughts!

I feel the same way... visualizing my responsibilities via interconnected nodes is a great way to make my work and personal life manageable.

We'd love to hear more from you and learn how you use MindMeister... Feel free to reach out to us on Twitter at @MindMeister. And be sure to check out the Meister Academy at training.mindmeister.com.

Thanks again!
-Andrew

Angelo A.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great and cheap ;)

Reviewed on 22/01/2020

Awesome! I've been using MindMeister for a long time and I can say that I have a life of study there. It is incredible how I can remember something I read two years ago really fast.

Pros

The facility in building mind maps that are beautiful and organized the way you want would be enough for me. But the tool for researching words on the maps are FANTASTIC. I can research a word through all maps or in an especific one. This really allows me to be faster at my work.

Cons

Although the price is affordable, I think the difference between annual and mothly plans should be more representative. I'd like to have an annual plan but, living in Brazil where dollar goes up and down, I can't know when it will really worth it.

Rob M.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Great for small business

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

I use this to be able to create very nonlinear "big picture" summaries, and then I create other functional maps and tasks when its time to drill down into the details. I like how its very nonlinear and very fluid. Its easy to move things around and edit them. I first used MindMeister back in 2007. Its still a great product.

Pros

I like mind mapping and I like the design, form and feel to MindMeister. Its great that it now has task list functionality as well. Its fast and easy.

Cons

It could use a Gantt chart, as that's the only thing other people in my company need/want.

Carlin A.

Great Mindmapping tool

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

Pros

MindMeister is a fantastic MindMapping tool. Very useful for brainstorming new ideas.

Cons

The free tool does not come with the ability to upload images.

Response from Meister

Hi Carlin,
Thank you for your review. Our free plan is add-free and offers the option of creating up to three maps. Developing and maintaining our website and apps is however costy and at the moment it is not viable to provide all features for free, we hope for your understanding.
We however appreciate your feedback.

Have a great day,
Your MeisterTeam

Raghunandan J.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Awesome tool

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

It's been a great tool
I own licence for xmind as well as mindmiester
Xmind is more powerful
But the abilities ond an online mind mapping tool are much better for xolloboration

Pros

The ease of use
Brainstorming
Presentation

Cons

Rigidity ... It doesn't allow branches to be a different place unaligned

Maggie L.

Finally: A digital, visual, FUN way to effectively organize and boost productivity

Reviewed on 21/02/2020

I'm a visual learner with lots of ideas, to-dos, distractions, and good intentions. On my own, I've tried writing lists, making my own digital map, using phone productivity apps, using tons of post-it notes, etc. to organize my jobs, projects, and seemingly endless daily tasks. I slowly admitted my own frustrations with not being able to effectively organize what I needed to do. Using MindMeister is the first time I actually see all of what I need to do in front of me, and it's color coded, neat, effective, and it oddly inspires me to work more. I'm a big fan of the templates and customization options. I use the Eisenhower Matrix template and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's actually improving my time management issues.

Pros

Free "Basic" plan is great for what I need now; Educator discount is available for if/when I choose to upgrade; free themes with many options for customization (I love color-coding); ability to merge MindMeister with MeisterTasks; Templates with tips on how to use them; Image generator based on Map title; Very user-friendly

Cons

The "Use" and "Preview" Template buttons are a little too close together. More than 3 font sizes would be nice.

Banu H.

Master of the Mind

Reviewed on 11/03/2020

Great help. At the time of my total confusion, it gave me a great hand to organize me and save time and energy.

Pros

It helped me organize everything, my work, my class, my presentation, events, and it is very practical, easy to use (user friendly)

Cons

I would like to download word format in personal version once or twice so that I can be sure to upgrade or not.

Janet S.

Helps me be creative

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

I design my own courses, and I use Mindmeister to help me outline and think through my course organization. At first I was not sure that it was worth the money. Because it was almost time for renewal, I decided to begin a new project and outline it by hand.

WIthin a day I realized that Mindmeister was definitely something that helped a lot. Not only can I move ideas around very easily, but I can also see my projects differently simply due to the ability to color similar ideas with the same color, and connect them to each other. Being able to move a chain of ideas without having to erase and start over was huge too. I realized that Mindmeister had been making a huge difference.

Pros

I like the visual aspect of creating an organized plan.

Cons

I would liked to have an actual list of different short tutorials.