MongoDB

Database management and application development software

4.6/5
4.6/5
4.4/5
4.3/5

456 Reviews for UK Users

Frank
Frank
  • Industry: Hospitality

MongoDB is the NoSQL leader and getting better

Reviewed on 09/02/2019

The first decision about whether to use MongoDB or not is whether you need a relational or non-relational DB. Once you decide a non-relational is best for you project, then MongoDB is a solid choice. It has the ongoing support of a professional team and is widely used in the market, especially for projects utilizing the MEAN stack. This makes it easier to deploy than other solutions.

Pros

MongoDB is incredibly easy to set up and use. The fact that non-relational DBs are better for more unstructured data, makes it so that you don't necessarily have to know exactly what the end state is going to be before building your schema. Its data throughput is also a key differentiator, so anything with Big Data is going to be a good fit for a non-relational DB and MongoDB, in particular. Finally, the team behind MongoDB is constantly improving the product and releasing updates, and there are several good data viewers in the market, including one from Mongo, for viewing the data and creating queries.

Cons

Creating metrics dashboards can be challenging due to the potential need for JOIN queries in your data. Anything that contains these will be harder to aggregate. Their aggregation framework can be hard to use and limiting for certain requirements.

Oussama
  • Industry: Computer Games

A Comprehensive Review of MongoDB: Pros, Cons, and the Bottom Line

Reviewed on 28/01/2023

MongoDB is an excellent choice for developers looking for a powerful, scalable, and reliable database solution. While the initial setup and learning curve can be challenging, the benefits of MongoDB's document-oriented data model and robust query language make it an ideal choice for many different types of applications.

Pros

MongoDB is highly reliable and offers unparalleled scalability. With its robust query language and powerful document-oriented data model, MongoDB is capable of handling complex data management tasks with ease. Additionally, MongoDB offers excellent support for developers, with a range of tools and services for managing databases.

Cons

Although MongoDB is a powerful tool, it can be difficult to set up, and the learning curve can be steep. Additionally, MongoDB's lack of support for joins, transactions and some data types can be a challenge for more complicated applications.

Colin
  • Industry: Building Materials

Review#292-7777

Reviewed on 23/09/2016

This is a very suitable program for our organization.We are currently a medium sized construction company but the program is scaleable and very applicable to many different sizes,scenarios and situations.

Pros

It is Universal and is compatible with many different applications.

Cons

Not sure of what kind of storage space that it will require or consume.

Bharathi

My Review For MongoDB

Reviewed on 31/12/2023

Overall, this is good for beginners and has a small level of application. Their storing and retrieval formats are JSON; B-JSON is very helpful to understand structure. I recommend this for all beginners because it is easy to understand. Cast is also ok compared to other DBs.

Pros

First, it is a NoSQL database. so it uses a flexible JSON-type model. And it has a large and active community, which is helpful for developers seeking support. And beginners can start with MongoDB.

Cons

This DB does not support uploading documents like the AWS Bucket Concept. It only stores text Text Formats. And it can consume a significant amount of memory, especially when dealing with large datasets.

Firebase, MySQL and IBM Db2
Anees

MongoDB is the goto datatbase for any solution

Reviewed on 31/03/2022

Great, greatest

Great, greatest

Pros

The ease of use. JSON type document helps me to scale my database model as the application is growing. Along with the powerful query language of MongoDB it's so easy to pull data from the data.

MongoDB also gives free 500MB is space without giving any credit card and I found that very awesome!

Cons

I would like to see the compass getting more powerful and having many more features.

HarperDB

Reasons for Choosing MongoDB

Because of the availability of an easy-to-use cloud with zero setups.

Microsoft SQL Server

Reasons for Switching to MongoDB

Because of more developer trust in this project.
Abdelmadjid

A great companion to Javascript back ends

Reviewed on 28/02/2021

I've launched a few products that use MongoDB and have been very happy with the performance and scalability.

Pros

MongoDB integrates very well with JS-based server code. It's fast and its dynamic, NoSQL nature allows for a lot of flexibility and creative use.

Cons

As MongoDB isn't as ubiquitous as other solutions like MySQL, there's a bit less tooling available and some IaaS platforms treat it as a second class citizen.

PostgreSQL and MySQL

Reasons for Choosing MongoDB

As our next project was using JS, we went for the deeper integration that MongoDB offers.

MySQL

Why mongodb is widely used database in current market situation.

Reviewed on 20/04/2022

I have merged mongodb with the react js and building a fully dynamic website for a client.
And...

And mongodb have the user authentication in builtin so it’s easier for me so no need to extra code for that part.

Pros

Mongodb is a no-sql( not only sql) database.so it is different from other traditional database.its support partitions and indexing both so the data fetching is way more faster then other traditional database. We can use both partition and indexing for storing data and also make use of partition we can fetch data in less time as compared to others database and its store data in horizontal way so no relation and no scheme needed so its gives faster performance in data analysis.

Cons

Mongodb doesn’t support procedure which is now supported bat many other no sql database and mongodb have little bit complex queries to understand for a new user.

Heshani
Heshani

Fastest leap In database management

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

I use mongo with our applications. For any set of data, this is the best database.

Pros

Really speedy and requires less memory.
We can create collections without a definite number of rows and columns to come.
We can add data without restrictions
It gives a JSON output which is really easy to work with
Easy to add , edit and remove data
If a certain section has more than one data, we can insert them as sub arrays, and it makes the developments so flexible.

Cons

The free version allows limited memory so that we have to upgrade it to insert unlimited data. Other than that this is the best.

Naseeb
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

One of the best for Web Developers

Reviewed on 02/10/2020

My overall experience with MongoDB is good. I'm satisfied with it. It is much perfect when we are integrating it with JavaScript backend. I recommend using MongoDB for all the web developers as it provides great developer experience. The developers can setup easily and configure with their technology. I find MongoDB very useful, not only for the developers but also for the beginner students which can help them in their college projects.

Pros

First thing is there's no need of any Queries; it is the king of NoSQL. MongoDB is easy to user and learn too and also a flexible schema for changing data elements. Being a web developer, i work on JavaScript, so it's too good for Integrating with JavaScript backend like NodeJS. For the beginner and new comers, they have Mongo DB for free with certain amount of data storage.

Cons

Unlike SQL, it has no joins, which can sometime be an issue in some data retrieval cases. Sometimes it works very slow in the cloud environment. There are no functions available for Transaction. MongoDB's documentation is much confusing to the users. Even if it's easy to use and learn, learning MongoDB might take some time. I thinkg it is hard to work with complex queries.

En
  • Industry: Defense & Space
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best Document Store

Reviewed on 22/07/2022

Pros

MongoDB is the best document store on the market. For Java world it has all the APIs and framework support behind. It can also be used with Spring Framework Data. It has query dsl support. There is so many community support.

Cons

Coming from RDBMS world it could take a while to learn

Piotr

Interesting alternative for relational DBs

Reviewed on 23/05/2022

To be honest, I wasn't too convinced about non-relational databases. Before I encountered MongoDB in one of my jobs, I was working only with MySQL and PostgreSQL and treated MongoDB as a curiosity. I was sorely mistaken. It is fast, reliable, and intuitive. A lot of clear documentation and helpful customer support made learning easy. However, in the beginning, I felt a little lost about queries or the creation of a reliable and efficient structure. The main disadvantage I noticed is some redundancy in documents to maintain dependencies (or maybe it is my lack of knowledge). Good structure creation was also a challenge, but as I mentioned, documentation was extremally helpful. Also, data migration, exports, and imports are user-friendly and I didn't really have any problems with them. I am also using MongoDB in my private projects, and to be honest, I really don't want to come back to standard SQL databases. All in all, if you haven't tried it yet - it is definitely worth it. The entry threshold may be a little higher than for SQL (especially if you are used to it), but it's useful to have more skills.

Pros

Ease of use.
Customer support and documentation.
Speed and functionalities.
Flexibility.

Cons

May be hard to maintain if the structure is created in the wrong way.
Beginners may get lost in more complicated queries

Sudipta
  • Industry: Computer Networking

MongoDB - Database solution that every platform must have

Reviewed on 10/02/2023

It is must to have DB application that any software platform should have

It is must to have DB application that any software platform should have

Pros

Easy to get integrated with Python and building up business workflow with script runner being automated.

Cons

Customer support could be more improved .

Vinicius

Review for MongoDB

Reviewed on 10/04/2022

MongoDB is great for document-based storage on cloud environments.

MongoDB is great for document-based storage on cloud environments.

Pros

Easy to use, learn and find support documentation. Fully cloud-based database.

Cons

Limit size for document and no transaction support.

Apache Cassandra

Reasons for Switching to MongoDB

Costs and easy horizontal scale out (sharding).
Anil
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Database Platform MongoDB

Reviewed on 01/06/2022

I used MongoDB for my customers website to cover all the databases and working with developers to implement them.

Pros

Virtualization is perfect feature for MongoDB to understand your dataset and performings.

Cons

MongoDb is quite expensive when you compare other kind of database platforms.

Solomon

MongoDb is the easiest database to work with, good choice for new programmer.

Reviewed on 18/01/2023

Overall, MongoDB is a flexible, high-performance, non-relational database management system but it has some limitations like a lack of support for transactions across multiple documents and the process of setting up indexing and querying can be a bit complicated. Additionally, it lacks native joins, which can be a limitation in certain scenarios where data is highly relational. However, the document-based data model and built-in support for data replication and sharding make it a great option for unstructured data and high availability and scalability

Pros

I have been using MongoDB for several years now and I have to say, I am impressed with its flexibility and scalability. The query language is also quite simple and easy to use. I also appreciate the support for multiple programming languages, which allows me to interact with MongoDB using my preferred language. Overall, I highly recommend MongoDB for anyone in need of a flexible, high-performance, non-relational database management system.

Cons

I have been using MongoDB for some time and I have to say, it has a few limitations. The lack of support for transactions across multiple documents can be an issue for some use cases. Also, the process of setting up indexing and querying can be a bit complicated, it requires a good understanding of the data and access patterns. And the lack of native joins can be a limitation in certain scenarios where data is highly relational

Mongo DB

Reviewed on 12/06/2019

According to my experience with MongoDB it is good NoSQL database. It has good query capacity, Also when we going to solve some business problems some requirements are change when we build the system. At that time we have to change same database collections. MongoDB support it.

Pros

Mongo DB is non relational database (NoSQL). It is a document database. it has good query capacity. Very easy to install and setup Mongo DB. Also Mongo DB is schema-free, there fore our software (code) defines the schema. It support BSON data format, there fore no complex to write code with mongo db (most of programming languages support BSON data format. We can index the mongo collections and increase the query performance

Cons

When we need to query using two mongo collections (join two collection), we can use lookup feature. but the problem is Mongo DB lookup feature is slow. Also we have no option to run query among two or three collections like as Elastic Search. When we using Elastic Search we can run query among two or three indexes(collections). There for in Elastic Search we can move historical data to separate collections and improve query performance. if we need query with historical, Elastic Search support it. But using Mongo DB we have to handle it in programming side.

Eric R.
Eric R.

MongoDB is great but it AWS is coming for them

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

I have used MongoDB across multiple companies because of the reliability, the strong security and backup procedures, and the exceptional team they have supporting their products. However, I am concerned that with Dynamo being solid now, MongoDB won't have much of anywhere to go. We used MongoDB with AWS for a long time and now it's just easier to also use Dynamo. This is a shame because Mongo's team is exceptional.

Pros

MongoDB's support for setup and when we have run into problems was the best part about using Mongo and why I've come back to it many times.

Cons

MongoDB has good relationships with other providers but the fact that it's not part of a larger suite of cloud-based solutions is a shame.

Redis Enterprise and ArangoDB

Reasons for Choosing MongoDB

MongoDB pricing and support.

Redis Enterprise

Team and pricing.
teran

My first NoSql database

Reviewed on 31/03/2023

I started using mongo db in the last year of my degree and I used it as the database for the final year project also. I can highly recommend this as a highly scalable and high performing database.

Pros

I see lots of benefits in mongo db over relational databases in the market. The main thing is the rich querying capability where we can write very complex queries without degrading the performance of the application. Mongo db is somewhat new to the industry and it is updating day by day and whenever I have a doubt, there is a strong community to ask from.

Cons

When I was learning mongo db, what I felt was the complexity of understanding things mainly theories.

One of the best NoSQL alternatives to traditional row/column RDBMSs

Reviewed on 28/11/2019

While my company uses the Microsoft stack (.NET/IIS/SQL Server) for our enterprise development, we use a MERN (MongoDb, Express.js, React and Node.js) stack for most of our internal development (Intranet, sales reporting, ETL, automation, etc.). MongoDb is a key part of the flexibility of this stack, allowing us to model dynamic and complex data very quickly -- a huge advantage working in an agile development environment with short dev cycles and heavy reliance on iteration/refactoring.

Pros

Being a NoSQL, document-based database, MongoDb allows me to think about data NOT in terms of rows, columns, tables and keys, but in terms of complex hierarchical JSON-like documents that very closely resemble how the data is presented and used. This is incredibly valuable when quickly stubbing out a new app's feature set and the data requirements for it, with the added advantage that MongoDb works seemlessly within a MEAN/MERN development framework.

Also, the learning curve is greatly shortened by MongoDb University, which is a free set of training courses taught by MongoDb, Inc., Engineers. It's an amazing free resource for the neophyte Mongo developer.

Cons

Because MongoDb doesn't have a schema, deeply nested objects can become needlessly complex if the developer doesn't have a strong understanding of hit/her data. Queries requiring joins of complex object structures can be slow in non-optimized, under-powered environments.

Dmitry
Dmitry

The best document storage solution if you know how to cook it

Reviewed on 21/04/2021

It is one of my favorite DBs and I'm using it for a few of my projects.

It is one of my favorite DBs and I'm using it for a few of my projects.

Pros

Super easy to install and start working with it.
A great start for prototyping a project or if you need to do an enormous amount of inserts.
Native library for Python

Cons

Lack of free UI tools for DB management;
Not straightforward mechanism of migration between versions.

PostgreSQL and MySQL

NoSQL
sapnaka

My favourite db

Reviewed on 16/05/2023

Mongo db was my first noSql database that I used to learn about noSql concepts. I think this is a good database for the new users.

Pros

Mongo db supports complex data structures and data models. This is highly scalable and highly available database that supports automatic data replication. Mongo db is mainly used in applications like e-commerce platforms that generate huge and complex data models. Mongo db supports indexing and aggregation capabilities.

Cons

This consume lots of resources like memory and disk space.

A database revolution

Reviewed on 09/03/2019

For non-relational data storage, you really cannot beat MongoDB.

For non-relational data storage, you really cannot beat MongoDB.

Pros

It's incredibly flexible and performant. With rich documents you can keep data in just about any way that makes sense to you. When your data doesn't nicely fit into the relational database format you'll want to use MongoDB. They're constantly developing the database and each version brings more features and better ways of doing things. The aggregation features allow for complex heavy queries to be run very quickly.

Cons

It can be a bit complicated to start with and writing aggregations without a great tool to help can be pretty tricky. Some of the features in the earlier versions are slightly limited and miss core requirements like 'join' style queries.

Bogdan

Documents with ease

Reviewed on 22/09/2022

It works out of the box, it scales well for mid-sized projects

It works out of the box, it scales well for mid-sized projects

Pros

Easy to set up, easy to configure, works as intended

Cons

Had some issues with prior versions, it's all good now.

Amazon DynamoDB

Faster turnaround
Matthew
Matthew

Convenient data store

Reviewed on 23/09/2021

It is my database of choice because of speed and non-blocking read and writes when used in conjunction with Node.js.

Pros

I enjoy using this data store because of how quick I can create models and begin using them within my code. The speed of development of applications is dramatically reduced because data can be consumed as soon as it is retrieved without writing much translation code.

Cons

I don't like the complexity of the setup. If you need to do advanced clustering it is challenging to setup and configure.

Samuel
  • Industry: Telecommunications

MongoDB: Easy to Grow Non-relational Database

Reviewed on 18/05/2023

A mix of powerful, easy-to-use features and a few tricky parts.

A mix of powerful, easy-to-use features and a few tricky parts.

Pros

MongoDB is great for handling lots of changing data and growing bigger when you need it to.

Cons

Sometimes, it might not save data safely, and it can have trouble handling complex data operations. Also, it uses up a lot of memory