PostgreSQL Reviews

PostgreSQL

Open source relational database management system

4.6/5

Nairoby
Nairoby

It's free!

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

In my very particular opinion I feel comfortable working with Postgres for more than 10 years, it is reliable and safe, the best thing is that it is free, which allows you to save on licenses, it is ideal for any type of development. I totally recommend it

Pros

- Free code database manager, which is not used for licensing.
- Easy to install and configure in any operating system.
- Ideal for relational databases.
- It has a large community in which you can share doubts.
- It is stable and reliable, scalable and secure with the correct user management.
- Can work with small and large databases.
- Handles the SQL language.
- Being free software, it is compatible with several graphic tools that help administration and database design. I particularly recommend working with PgAdmin in its latest version for postgres 9.6.6 onwards.
- Easily works as a cluster, can be configured as active-passive or active-active which improves performance
- It allows to perform maintenance, recovery of databases.
- I have tested the installation and use in Windows 7 operating system and Debian version 6 to 8 and works without problems.
- Likewise I have worked in postgres since its version 8.1 to 9.6.6 and a positive change has been noticed and performance improvements, but I insist on the point at which the databases should be fine designed.

Cons

- Many people declare it as slow in insertions and updates compared to others Managers, however, that will depend on how well designed the database is.
- For some, not having support online or with an official help center can be a big disadvantage.
- It is advisable to have command knowledge to work on consoles and terminals to perform a good configuration

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Java developer on PostgreSQL. A look back after several years.

Reviewed on 16/07/2022

I have been using PostgreSQL for 6 years in most of the applications I write. It is my default choice for a relational database.

Pros

PostgreSQL is a database that every programmer is familiar with. I value its versatility and universality. It's easy to implement it production-wise with not much scale.

Cons

Great for simple applications, when it comes to scaling/replication problems begin.

MongoDB

Reasons for Choosing PostgreSQL

I changed jobs and the new job used PostgreSQL.

Reasons for Switching to PostgreSQL

PostgreSQL was easier to learn for most team members.
Pedro
Pedro

database alternative to mysql

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

it's a really good database manager, easy to use and the community version is free to use in a commercial environment

Pros

in general is a good database manager like MySQL you have many functions and one, in particular, the notifications, you can send a notify and it's like a broadcast message, useful for interaction with the backend

Cons

the way how to backup and restore is sometimes complicated, we tried to automatized and sometimes works others not, the same script! and because of that, you can have an empty DB

Osman

Postgresql_02-07-2022

Reviewed on 02/07/2022

Pros

Postgresql is the best database system to store data.

Cons

The most usaged features is an extensions. I think that this features should include to standard postgresql distribution.

MongoDB and Oracle Database

Reasons for Choosing PostgreSQL

Postgres is fast and great if you design your application correctly.

Oracle Database

Reasons for Switching to PostgreSQL

It is very famous and it has great and large community.

Powerful database

Reviewed on 18/10/2020

Excellent database engine with a lof of features and great overall performance. It has a very huge community so you could get help very easily. I'd recommend to use it.

Pros

Highly recommended. It's the most powerful database engine I ever worked with. It has a lot of features that I used and worked very well: postgis for spatial searches, full-text search, partitions, etc.

Cons

At some point, we start having problems with very slow queries, and after some debugging we discover postgres decided to use the wrong index to perform the query plan. Probably because of bad stats but from time to time the problem happens again.

• Industry: Banking

PostgreSQL is the best open source database

Reviewed on 30/01/2020

I used another database for a large Brazilian bank. It was not a free database. The migration was excellent.

Pros

PostgreSQL has several advantages. It is lightweight and reliable. Search filters are very easy to understand. People who know the basics of the SQL language can do several queries, since PostgreSQL assembles selects. I can change it within the table itself, so I don't need to do the update command. On top of that, it's free and open source!

Cons

Sometimes the connection to the database drops (internal server error 500), and it is necessary to connect again. When the query has many records, the data return is slow. They are the only negative points of this tool.

Abbas Yusufzai
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Postgre SQL.. Best 2D spatial database tool for geologists.

Reviewed on 05/06/2021

It's a pretty reliable database manager that provides for excellent data management and a very comprehensive security implementation, as well as the installation of procedures that make data integrity easy to maintain.

Pros

One of the advantages of this manager is that it is simple to install and has a free license for various distributions and operating systems. It also allows you to configure the manager according to the team requirements. Other capabilities include the ability to run read-only queries while in recovery mode. pg-Admin, for example, is a graphical application that allows us to simply administer our database. It is a great resource distribution for complex queries, very adjustable, allowing it to be tailored to the needs of individuals who use it, Allows you to limit the number of incoming connections to avoid timeouts caused by developers.

Cons

Indexing is some times very slow. Also database syncing or importing and exporting database is some time a headache. Apart from that, I don't see any major shortcoming in it.

Nothing but praise for *the* SQL DBMS

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

We are running tens of Postgres databases and we have no reason to switch.

We are running tens of Postgres databases and we have no reason to switch.

Pros

It's been reliable beyond all expectations. Put your data in Postgres, you know you'll find them when you need them.

Cons

VACUUMs are a big performance penalty, and the default auto-vacuum settings aren't always optimal for all use cases.

Reasons for Switching to PostgreSQL

It's more performant, stable and has more features.
Nuno

A good DB for any kind of company

Reviewed on 19/08/2023

Pros

It's a very powerful DB for the price, it has all the features and customization that any db admin needs.

Cons

Without a db admin, the features may be restricted to the basic ones, unless someone researches how to do things

Rahul

Quality review of PostgreSQL

Reviewed on 29/09/2023

Pros

- Good management of data tables & possibility to have service of multiple Servers

Cons

- Great to improve user interface & SQL query error classification to make easy accessibilities of data.

Aníbal
Aníbal

PostgreSQL is powerful and robust, it fits perfectly in large projects

Reviewed on 07/07/2018

With PostgreSQL I have been able to perform my work satisfactorily on multiple occasions, my bosses and I are happy with the results we have obtained, saving hardware investment costs because we have focused on the database, I hope to have future benefits to the use it in projects for own clients.

Pros

I really like PostgreSQL I have used it several times for large projects in my previous works and in the current one it is used as a database for the web page of the institution, the power of PL / pgSQL is excellent, it allows me to program commercial layers in the database without any problem this improves the response times of the final applications and allows investments in hardware in the database servers instead of in the application, the management of schemes is perfect. It is important to mention that it is free software that implies having a large database without licensing costs. A feature of PostgreSQL is the multiversion concurrency control that allows transactions consistent with time, which provides great performance advantages. PgAdmin is a graphical tool with which I can manage different databases easily and intuitively, execute SQL statements, as well as create backup copies or perform maintenance tasks. Another thing that I like about PostgreSQL is that it is available for many platforms, it is possible to install it from the repositories of the Linux version that I use. It should be noted that the PostgreSQL user community is one of the most active in the market

Cons

There are some things that I do not like about PostgreSQL, permissions allowance per user can be annoying, I have had to work many times on this and it is difficult, it is also relatively slow when I insert and update small databases. The official support does not have telephone or online support, although there are official forums available where users can express their doubts to which other users of the community respond. The syntax of some of your commands or statements may not be intuitive if you do not have a medium level of knowledge in the SQL language. I have had problems migrating from a PostgreSQL version to a higher one. Compatibility is sometimes relative.

Mark
Mark
  • Industry: Market Research

Solid database that won't break the bank and won't let you down

Reviewed on 15/10/2020

We have never lost data, never paid too much and never looked back. PostgreSQL is at the hear of our organization and our trust has paid off in the long run. Running it on top of a managed stack such as AWS RDS is they way to go as this is the hardest part of using PostgreSQL and you don't want to waste time re-learning what has already been learned. It's worth the cost to use these services in the long run. Rapid prototyping can be done locally and is free so your price to start is always zero!

Pros

PostgreSQL is and always has been one of the most feature rich and solid databases available. Its price / performance / feature set is simply unmatched in the industry today.

Cons

There is a lot of old information on the internet that is no longer relevant to current versions and you must sift through this in some cases to find the modern and elegant solutions. It was touted as "slow" compared to MySQL in the early 2000's and much of that information is wrong due to lack of user experience with the product or no longer the case today.

Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL

Stability and price
Arik

PostgreSQL as application database

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

We use PostgreSQL as our system database for the software we develop, we find it reliable, robust and with great performance, we use both PHP and C++ to access the dataabse.

Pros

PostgreSQL is a full featured SQL server solution. it is free and open-source, PostgreSQL can be installed on many different platform like Linux, Windows, macOS and other. being open-source if has lots of contribute tools from the open-source community providing wide range solutions, PostgreSQL is also available in the cloud from all the major providers.

Cons

Management is less comfortable and some settings needs to be done in PostgreSQL configuration files, also database schema management tool is not so comfortable, but you can use 3rd party tools for that also

Alfredo
Alfredo

Excellent alternative to MySQL when you need more flexibility

Reviewed on 19/06/2022

I needed a very efficient database that could handle a huge amount of records, views and access for a data-scraping and analysis project. I was able to very easily do this with a combination of python for data processing, tableau for visualization and postgre-sql for the database. It has been running for a few years without any hiccups and with great efficiency.

Pros

User management is very flexible and the query language support many things that MySQL does not out-of-the-box, more inline with oracle database.

Cons

Not as ubiquitous as MySQL so initial setup and admin is slightly more complicated.

Muhammad Adil
Muhammad Adil

PostgreSQL

Reviewed on 10/07/2021

One of the best open source relational database in the market. Large support of data types make it powerful and lots of storage of less schema data. ACID compliant and lock management support.

Pros

PostgreSQL has a wide support of server operating system e.g. windows, UNIX, Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, Open BSD and OS X. Large support of APIs like ADO.NET, JDBC, ODBC and native C library which makes it easy to connect with any module. Good support of programming languages as well i.e. C, C++, JAVA, .NET, PHP and Python.

Cons

Wide support from community but some times its difficult to track any issue and get support. Reading speed is bit low as compared to other DBMS. Documentation is only available in English.

Pasquale

Spartan, robust

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

Using PostgreSQL is hard and sometimes frustrating but once set up it gives sys admins a great peace of mind.

Pros

I've been using PostgreSQL since 2002.
It is not easy to install, deploy and manage compared to other relational database of its class. It is though rock solid, incredibly fast and there are a lot of great features.

Cons

A modern management system would be very welcome. There have been several attempt to make it more user friendly by honestly none has been successful so far.

Paolo

Best Open Source RDBMS by far

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

I am a web developer and geospatial analyst. I am using PostgreSQL daily to store spatial datasets using PostGIS, its powerful spatial extension

Pros

PostgreSQL has been on my tech stack since 2006. It is an impressive open source software, really reliable. I love its PostGIS spatial module, which enables powerful geospatial functions.

Cons

I like everything and I can't think of something which I don't like. This is by far the best open source RDBMS

Wechuli
Wechuli
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best Database System Ever !

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Postgres provides everything I need in a Relational Database System, I have been using it for a while and I swear by it.

Pros

- Completely and absolutely free
- Open-source, so you can look at the code
- Every feature you might want in a database is there
- Convenient PostgreSQL admin for the management of DB servers

Cons

- Making replication across several distributed regions can be quite challenging if you haven't done it before.

Sanskriti
Sanskriti

Managing DB with PostgreSQL works fine.

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

PostgreSQL can process complex queries in relatively less time, and data can be accessed seemingly faster with non-key attributes. Since we deployed PostgreSQL at work we are delighted to see its flexibility and the better performance for our most common use cases.

Pros

Implementing the database in PostgreSQL is quick and efficient. PostgreSQL is much quicker with use-cases. Setting prototypes for development is relatively easier with PostgreSQL. It is a simply a relational database, and stores the data in tables, and supports complex transactions. Accessing data and attribute is faster in PostgreSQL especially when searching for an attribute that is not indexed. So it is great for sorting data in a relatively short period of time.

Cons

PostgreSQL is not flexible to JSON objects, even the nested documents or arrays are not handled with Postgres. It is slow when it comes to processing queries that use nested references, so we had to deal with more complexities at work.

Reliable and performant RDBMS

Reviewed on 24/11/2023

Pros

Much better performance and consistency vs other RDBMS, eg MySQL.
It doesn't hide the complexity beyond being a DBA, which is kind of a double edged sword.

Cons

Manual intervention needed for version upgrades, but nothing terrible.

Jugraj

Best Database Management System with wide range of Features

Reviewed on 04/07/2018

Pros

PostgreSQL is one of the best from the range of DBMS i used in my career.

Features like Stored Procedures is one of the reason i prefer this tool. It helps me take off a huge amount of workload from the API server as same data need to format differently for different APIs.
Along with it the availability of builtin functions like JSON functions, Regex Functions etc helps a lot in the data processing field.
Connectors support for various languages is one of the main reason for using this tool. Connection Pooling helps me execute multiple queries without slowing the system and losing any data.

Cons

It is not suitable for beginners. Designing a efficient and effective Database workflow need a skilled DB Admin so a beginner need some time to get to familiar with the system.
Another drawback is its management tool pgAdmin 4. Its a disaster compare to pgAdmin 3.
It is a web App and lags a lot. I face problems in multitasking in version 4 that is not the case with version 3.
I Hope someday somebody provide backward compatibility of PostgreSQL 10+ with pgAdmin 3.

Parul
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

World class DB management and Open Source tool

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

Flexible, robust with advanced features. Complex DB dashboard.

Flexible, robust with advanced features. Complex DB dashboard.

Pros

The ease of use sets it apart from other tools

Cons

The DB performance , lack of in depth documentation and lack of dedicated customer support to get quick help on critical production loads.

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Open source database with advance features

Reviewed on 31/07/2021

We have deployed 100 of PostgreSQL instances as the back-end for state owned LMS. Databases are well performing and never receive any complaints regarding performance after the GO-LIVE. We have deploy PostgreSQL for simple web application to the enterprise grade internet banking app.

Pros

+ Install is very easy
+ Support almost all platform
+ Data aggregation is fast
+ Good documentation from vendor and community
+ Highly stable
+ Secured

Cons

+ Working with JSON etc. is not easy comparable to other products
+ Poor data compression mechanisms
+ Bit resource hungry

MySQL and MariaDB

Reasons for Switching to PostgreSQL

The main reason is performance.
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Best SQL for Analytics and in terms of speed.

Reviewed on 10/04/2019

By using PostgreSQL as backend database for our large applications which uses large amount of data then selling that applications to customers we are getting benefits.

Pros

PostgreSQL is the best I can say. Its performance is very fast in terms of getting data and inserting data. Means if we are inserting entries in bulk then it would do it in a good speed as compared to other databases. It is very good for Analytics and it has good tooling than other databases. It supported many other features like using of arrays which is not in MySql so I would say it is good database to use to make applications.

Cons

The big disadvantage is it takes more memory than other databases if you have many connections and replication is bit difficult in PostgreSQL which might get easy in future updates else it is a good software.

Samantha
Samantha

The best SQL and open source database.

Reviewed on 07/06/2018

Because range queries are integrated, it is much less effort to query compared to MySQL.

Pros

It is fast and reliable, manages inserts and updates of tens of thousands of lines impeccably. PostgreSQL implements SQL standards very well and supports advanced SQL stuff, the PostSQL database works very well with hibernation HPA and we have been using it extensively together with the Spring framework, the consistency is also very good, you will never lose data or lose data. JSON support in the latest version has made things easier for us now, since we do not need to migrate the schema as always before.  Finally, the backup methods through pg_dump are easy to use and ensure that you can always back up before any major changes.

Cons

It is not very intuitive, in my opinion, and I think those problems must be solved before I can get the kind of traction that MySQL has, also more open sources admit mysql but not postgres. These are some of the problems with postgres.