Mural

Digital workspace and collaboration management solution

4.2/5

124 Reviews for UK Users

Gonzalo
Gonzalo
  • Industry: Information Services

Capture everything you want in Mural

Reviewed on 15/02/2022

I started out choosing Mural over Miro for its free proposition, and in this regard, it comes out on top. It offers 5 free boards, which is quite a lot more than its competition, and this helps to try it for an unlimited time and get to know all its advantages.

Pros

Mural is ideal for creating mind maps and very easy-to-use flowcharts. The number of pre-designed templates it has is endless. It allows the anonymous entry (without registration) of many people to a board to work on it. It offers a limited free version that allows you to create up to a maximum of 5 boards. (more than Miro, for example) Previously the tool only offered a trial version for 30 days.

Cons

It has few integrations developed for external applications.
The clip art gallery is limited but also supports the user's own images.

Andrew
  • Industry: Computer Hardware
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

An excellent team collaboration and brainstorming platform

Reviewed on 23/07/2020

Despite some of the functionality having an additional learning curve, Mural serves as an excellent way for remote teams (and even teams just wanting a more 'digital' brainstorming experience) to collaborate.

Pros

I love how easy Mural makes the process of visual 'mind-mapping' among remote co-workers. If we want to do an exercise, for example, that requires virtual 'sticky-notes' for brainstorming process improvements, Mural facilitates this process seamlessly.

Cons

Mural does take a little time to get up to speed on using it. You can definitely jump right in on some of the basic features, but to use some of its more advanced features (keyboard shortcuts, for example), it will take some time to learn them.

Good, can be hard to access at the beginning

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

I use it for workshop facilitation

I use it for workshop facilitation

Pros

Best feature is the outline function which allows you to create steps into the MURAL

Cons

Commands are not intuitive
Sticky notes are always the same size
shapes can be a bit unflexible

Reasons for Switching to Mural

It was already being used in my organisation.
Robert
  • Industry: Accounting

Mural is a high quality digital canvas

Reviewed on 25/05/2023

My overall experience has been good. Mural offers many good features for organising virtual workshops. I use Mural on a weekly basis and it does help me with facilitating virtual workshops.

Pros

Mural has many good features for creating digital collaboration frameworks. It allows for many participants to work on the same canvas at the same time. It is a good tool for workshops.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to collaborate on a mural canvas when there are several people making changes at the same time. Objects may move around if they are not locked well and the whole canvas might get messy.

Lucidchart

Reasons for Choosing Mural

My current company uses Mural

Reasons for Switching to Mural

Mural is better for virtual workshops
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

The digital whiteboard for the 21st century

Reviewed on 05/04/2020

Mural has helped our organization up the collaborative and interactive quotient to virtual meetings. It functions similarly to a whiteboard, but in the digital space. No more taking pictures of notes and trying to digitize them later. We just work directly in Mural and can even screenshare to see the space developing and growing in real-time. It helps us organize and align our thoughts as a team, while providing an artifact for later reference.

Pros

Mural is the thing you don't think you need and resist paying for or trying because you just don't need one more digital tool in your life and workflow. Until you experience it and realize you were so wrong. It's the one tool you actually can't live without. The concept is simple: a free space to create with a simple range of options (mostly text boxes and post-it notes). Think of it like a digital whiteboard. Then try to imagine life and meetings without a physical whiteboard. Exactly.

Cons

The range of options for what you can add to a Mural is somewhat limited, but that's a key part of its success. Having too many options would be paralyzing. Once you master the basic controls and options, the sky is the limit for what you can do. Lots of templates are available to help you get started or inspire you with what others have done and the Mural team is always offering support and webinars to help you explore the tool more deeply. One thing that has frustrated new users is getting the hang of controls especially if you are using on a computer (mouse vs trackpad controls are a bit different). But that is easily solved if you can get over your initial discomfort and commit to learning something new.

Nathan
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Digital-first collaboration

Reviewed on 11/05/2019

MURAL brings the whiteboard and the design studio wall online so that I can collaborate with clients and colleagues around the world. Now my entire workflow is in a digital medium, so I can a lot of efficiency that way.

Pros

I love that I can send anyone a link to a MURAL board and within 5 minutes they're totally comfortable using it. Yet beyond its simple on-boarding experience is a lot of flexibility that supports a wide variety of use cases.

Cons

There are some small interaction details reduce elegance: I'm not crazy about how its arrows/lines connect to notes/shapes. And it's hard to have a consistent typographic hierarchy, because text scales with shapes, and there's no other way to control type size.

Michela

Unique in its kind

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

In my company we work a lot with design thinking and we create murals for our clients to make them create strategies. This tool has become necessary for our daily work and we could not be happier to be able to create such a good work in so less time, because Mural is so easy to use and intuitive and possibilities are endless.

Pros

Mural is the tool I've always been looking for to visualise concepts and create conceptual maps. But it is not only this, it can be a presentation tool, you can make infographics with it, you can easily and rapidly create artwork that does not need the use of Photoshop or Illustrator. It's the tool everybody should use to present ideas to the customers. What I like most of Mural is the ease of use, the millions of icons you have and can personalise with colour and the fact that you can drag and drop text, links, videos and gifs.

Cons

Few options could be improved to make it even better. For example you cannot decide the size of text therefore when you enlarge text boxes you loose track of the size. There is no option to create simple tables yet, deciding the number of columns and rows. There is no media library so you have to upload every time images instead of choosing from a library or copy and paste them from another mural. Alignment sometimes is not very accurate.

Holly
  • Industry: Automotive

making virtual collaboration more collaborative

Reviewed on 30/04/2019

I work remotely 75% of the time. Mural enables me to continue hands on collaboration, building alignment with my virtual team members almost as effectively as if we were in person. This has changed the way I collaborate virtually. Now, I cannot work without out!

Pros

Ease of use - almost like having a real whiteboard in the room, easy to access by non-members

Cons

Like any software, getting people unfamiliar with it to be comfortable collaborating can take some effort.

• Industry: Design

Amazing tool for arranging complex info

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

This is a foundational tool for us for capturing any postit note exercise or workshop session.

Pros

This tool allows teams to take the complicated, organically generated, unsorted data that can come out of brainstorming or workshops and arrange it into something meaningful. It creates a standard language for teams to express this info.

It's quick to learn and easy to use, and allows for the right type of expression for any info set.

Cons

Administrating a team could be done better. It's too easy to invite more team members than your plan pays for. This is because the button to share a mural to an email address (which adds a team member) is easier to get to than the link to share anonymously. Fortunately there is a 30 day grace period for these mistakes.

Animesh
Animesh
  • Industry: Insurance

Mural is a must have if you are a product Manager/ designer

Reviewed on 03/08/2018

It’s a brilliant tool. There hasn’t been an experience with mural that has not gone well. Must have...

It’s a brilliant tool. There hasn’t been an experience with mural that has not gone well. Must have !

Pros

Mural is indeed collaborative ! The fact that you can see what the other person around the world is doing, without sharing screen, is amazing ! Mural is that digital whiteboard with free stickies where you could do anything ! And it comes with so many templates !!

Cons

We cannot talk via mural . I’d need another software or tool to do that! Imagine Mural + slack in one !

Maryam
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

It facilitates open communication, allowing us to link ideas and formulate goals with ease.

Reviewed on 24/03/2023

Mural's whiteboard gave us a lot of options, and we were able to work together as a group on several remote projects and finish comprehensive interactive plans that had a positive impact on our success.

Pros

I like that Mural is easy to use and allows members to collaborate on many charts. It's great that all members can participate, draw on boards, and connect ideas seamlessly. The mural is also great for having ready-made templates for most types of diagrams and covering brainstorming needs. I also like how easy it is to copy and paste, as well as edit texts on the whiteboard, and how we can change colors, add images, and do other things. It is also significant that the contents of the whiteboard are easy to format in an organized manner, as well as the ease with which they can be converted into a PDF file or an image so that they are easy to share across various media.

Cons

I do not hate Mural at all, but I hope that subscription prices will be reduced, or new options will be provided at lower prices, so that we can add consultants from outside the group for temporary periods.

Heath
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Nothing else like it!

Reviewed on 31/01/2020

My organization is new to visual thinking, design thinking and collaborative decision making. Mural has been a powerful driver of cultural change. They are constantly on the leading edge of how you can get more from their model and their platform. If you do any design thinking or want to make decisions transparently and quickly...get Mural now.
Its more than whiteboarding - it's about thinking out loud!

Pros

Mural is a powerful collaboration tool that can be mistaken as a "virtual whiteboard". Which it is. But doing any collaborative decision making, doing any kind of design thinking, with remote teams is so much better with Mural than any other collaboration tool (webex, teams, etc).

Cons

Sometimes, for some users, there is a slight learning curve. So make sure for those users who are new to the tool, give them some prep work - create a Playground for them and be very intent on how you lock down the Mural so reduce any confusion they might have.

Leonardo

Mural is one of the best collaboration tools you can find

Reviewed on 29/04/2022

Pros

We use it for everything, standup, retrospectives, mind mapping, online collaboration and much more. There are a lot of great templates.

Cons

It is expensive and some templates are tricky to use.

Rob

Mural enables easy digital collaboration from novices to pros

Reviewed on 28/02/2019

I've been able to grow with mural and explore new worlds of collaboration ... both enhancing face to face workshops and enabling remote collaborators to have equal voices. Support from the mural team to help us explore new ways to effectively collaborate (not just use their software) have been compelling.

Pros

I really appreciate how easy it is to dive in and get started with little complexity or knowledge. Drop some stickies on an empty whiteboard and you're off ... or play with templates, voting, and other advanced features to drive amazing new collaborations that are only possible in the digital world.

Cons

In the past, I have disliked the lack of feature parity between web and mobile versions. That has recently improved.

Ana
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

A great tool for students, educators and teams in the education sector

Reviewed on 14/07/2021

It allowed having a consistent idea spread through our many team members. We all participate in created moodboards and guidelines for every project.

Pros

It made our lives so much easier. When having a lot of on-going projects with a big graphic design team it was hard to keep track of guidelines, styles and visual references without having to constantly ask each other for guidance. In Mural we keep murals for every project, designers go here everytime they have to participate in a new or existing project and document visually how it looks like and set all the important media accessible for everyone.

Cons

When we were considering it, we knew it was exactly what we needed but it was too pricey for our capabilities. After reading, we realized that they gave us a free year because we're on the education industry. This can be renewed once the year ends.

Israel
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Slick whiteboard option on paid plan

Reviewed on 08/11/2021

Overall, Mural was the best digital whiteboard experience I had, but I had to look for alternatives due to the issue with the trial period. I think that the other players in this space are catching up with Mural so that now I'm a customer of another tool.

Pros

The software works really well. Even when collaborating with many other users simultaneously, the "Facilitation Superpowers" are a convenient set of tools.

Cons

I started using Mural on the trial version, and when the trial expired, they locked me out. I had to contact the support team, which gave me a few more days to export a PDF version of my murals. They claim to have a "free forever" version now. But I haven't tested it yet.

Miro and Lucidspark
Lee
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Simple - Visual - Powerful

Reviewed on 27/02/2019

Mural is the most intuitive and creative ideation software I have come across. No idea can hide if you get your organization on-board. There are low barriers to learning the tool so it is an easy sell.

Pros

It's a virtual design studio on your computing device (yeah I said that).

Cons

There have been occasions where I ran out of canvas on multi-day design events. The new, larger ideation space has largely fixed that.

Michael

The new platform for thinking and making, together.

Reviewed on 27/02/2019

It's transforming the way I work and collaborate

It's transforming the way I work and collaborate

Pros

I love creating, consuming and using templates for remote workshops. It's like doing software design, but with super direct and immediate, authentic feedback.

Cons

I dislike helping new users learn how to use it

Claudia
  • Used for 6-12 months

Great collaboration tool

Reviewed on 10/10/2020

Once you use regularly you will find it is a product that is constantly involving and that they are learning from their users and thinking about how they can improve the product. I think it is a tool worth trying.

Pros

Mural is a great tool for agile teams that work remotely, we´ve started using it in this context of COVID-19 and it helps us overcome the challenges of not being able to work and communicate face to face.
I love the concept of having the free space to create and share ideas in real time.

Cons

It might take some time to get used to the tool and to understand this is not a replacement for a real whiteboard, this is something different. Some of the people from my team were really exited when interacting at the first time but some of them weren´t so as a leader may be hard to get everyone on board.

Regina

Mural is for great collab!

Reviewed on 26/04/2018

Pros

I like how user friendly and intuitive it is - the power is in getting multiple people on the platform

Cons

the cost. this is great SW, but hard to make a business case to your company depending on the budget - realtime board is a alternative

Angela
Angela
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees
  • Used for 1+ year

World's best product

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

The price of the product is indeed affordable enough for any size of company and also a great intuitive for progressive companies of the world.

Pros

With this amazing application I can easily insert photo, videos and different multimedia files into one specific folder to have an easy access to them. Another feature that is my most favorite is its integration power that enables me to integrate with all the useful applications of my interest in a very unique way.

Cons

For me there is no drawback in it only sometimes the updates give useless errors but otherwise everything is perfectly fine.

• Industry: Computer Hardware

Great for training purposes!

Reviewed on 15/04/2021

It is a great experience with this tool, I've participated in a lot of trainings and meetings where this tool is used, and sessions always become very proactive among the participants.

Pros

The way we can interact everyone at the same time in one single view. I like the way it can be used for training purposes and keep the collaborative environment, specially for virtual trainings or meetings if you are in a call, the Mural can be used to interact a lot in a visual way.

Cons

The price. Personally I see the price a little bit expensive for a single person (for example, for an entrepeneur), but I think is a company buys a license I think the company will see the price affordable.

Monisha

Great tool for cross-team meetings between engineering/business facing departments

Reviewed on 23/06/2020

Really instrumental to one of our recent product feature launches (I work for a SaaS company), and definitely helped unite all the teams working on the initiative.

Pros

Especially during Covid-19 remote work, this tool has been really valuable in giving the feel of "whiteboarding" that you would get from in-person meetings, only virtually. It enables everyone to contribute and makes meetings more interactive. In my personal experience, it's been a great way to unite our Customer Success / Product / Developer teams for new feature launch plans so that everyone has visibility into next steps for the project, as well as a means of providing feedback.

Cons

While I really like the zoom-in function (our team used it to "privately" write feedback suggestions in our own "space" by zooming in during a meeting, after which everything was compiled) it can be a little disorienting / easy to zoom too far in and get lost in the sheet. Very very minor suggestion.

Really good for brainstorming

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

It is a great tool for brainstorming and have really good templates

It is a great tool for brainstorming and have really good templates

Pros

It is really good for brainstorming, you can visualize the ideas on post-its and you if you are the host you can move them to organize them

Cons

It is not super easy to zoom the post its, I would also see more templates for different dynamics. It has lots of potential to be use for different activities like Customer Journey Map.

• Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Powerful online visual collaboration tool

Reviewed on 16/04/2021

Mural is a helpful tool to support co-creation, workshops and design thinking sessions when working remotely. We used it more during lockdown in place of face-to-face sessions.

Pros

Relatively easy to use, with a rich feature set and several useful tools to collaborate visually. Interface is fully accessible via browser, which makes it very portable across platforms, and of course mobile apps are also available.

Cons

Not as streamlined or easy to learn as direct competitor Miro, so it requires some facilitated onboarding to new users in order to get the most from its features. Sometimes the web visualization gets stuck or shows blank boards where they should have content, but a quick page refresh generally fixes it.