Amazon EC2

4.0/5
4.1/5

102 Reviews for UK Users

Raamnaaraayan R.

Deploying our containers is efficient for business application as EC2 provides effective...

Reviewed on 02/04/2022

1. We utilize EC2 services offered by Amazon for our container deployments through Docker in Testing & Production environments.

2. Since the infrastructure is provided by AWS, we needn't worry about regional downtime or security updates as they are fully managed by Amazon.

3. We define our docker containers within EC2 instance and we can trust in the isolation between the containers are properly maintained.

4. We can leverage to stop the EC2 instances in case we need to retain the application configurations for a later point in time and start it again for future use.

5. Hosting multiple backend cloud-based applications is feasible with EC2 and all configurational changes can be viewed completely in its CLI.

Pros

1. Amazon EC2 offers exceptional capabilities to deploy our customer-centric application in cloud platform at ease.

2. We can effectively utilize its AMI to spin up any type of EC2 instances with any OS based on our business requirements within minutes.

3. Its auto-load balancing feature is helpful when we carry out web hosting with diversified incoming requests from the user.

4. We can also retain snapshots of our EC2 instances which can be used anytime to replicate our application configurations & deployments.

5. As it offers licensing within the charges of its EC2 instances, we are able to utilize various vendor applications and not worry about license renewal or request.

Cons

1. If you wish to perform custom updates, it needs updating a lot of security patches along with its Amazon Machine Image which is quite complex.

2, Network configurations & ACL should be maintained properly so that there isn't any connectivity issues with our EC2-hosted applications.

3. We need to ensure to terminate the EC2 instances if we no longer require the service of it. Charges may incur if its left unchecked.

Saulo A.

The best PaaS

Reviewed on 04/11/2021

I've been using AWS for over 10 years and I don't remember having any problems, except for the ones I caused myself. It's extremely reliable, safe and affordable.

Pros

Elastic Bean Stalk is a very simple and reliable platform as a service. You can configure various aspects of your application like deploy, autoscaling and database. Lambda is also an extremely useful resource for small service development without having to set up a complete framework for it.

Cons

Some functions are hard to learn like IAM for example. Also, managing costs well can be a challenge as there are many options to choose from.

Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform and Heroku

Pricing, Support, Reliability, and Features Available Only on AWS

Dreamhost VPS

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

Previous knowledge of features, pricing and startup program.
Greg B.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

I was forced to leave after 6 years of happy use

Reviewed on 15/09/2020

What AWS don't tell you is that on top of your EC2 cost comes a whole range of other hidden costs. Costs that only creep up after you've been using the product for a long time. Almost as if it has been designed this way.

Specifically, I ran into trouble with CPU and Disk IO credits. This is not a thing on any other platform. EC2 allows you to "burst" your processing power or disk read/write speed. This is done automatically with no control from the administrator. Once the tokens run out, which is seemingly incalculable, the servers crash.

The only way to keep the servers up is to keep spending more money by increasing the tokens (by raising the capacity), even though I didn't need the extra capacity. My servers are running perfectly on another provider now, on the lowest capacity instances, with no concept of "tokens" to worry about.

Pros

EC2 is so easy to set up. It doesn't require any thought to what is happening "behind the scenes".

Cons

It doesn't require any thought to what is happening "behind the scenes". When something breaks, you're on your own (without a minimum $2,000/mo support contract). AWS slowly increase the cost of associated tech with no way to understand why.

• Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Quick to use and cost efficient

Reviewed on 15/04/2022

Overall, Amazon EC2 gives us a cost-efficient method of deploying apps and services we need both for internal and customer-facing apps.

Pros

I like the on-demand features of Amazon EC2. It's very easy to spin up a powerful VM, scale it up or down, and switch it off when not in use. It gives us a very easy way to provision computing capacity as our need comes.

Cons

I think it'll be nice to have some VM operations to be doable in the AWS console, like installing SSH keys, etc. These are readily available in Google Cloud console, in comparison.

Matthew N.

EC2 Leads the Industry for a Reason

Reviewed on 17/05/2021

We've hosted with them for many years. Despite some little drawbacks, we wouldn't consider switching to another cloud provider. A technical project can thrive in the AWS ecosystem, with EC2 as the foundation for server capacity.

Pros

Superb pricing. Very reliable. Lots of choices. Great dashboard tools. When connected with CloudWatch, monitoring is great. Tools for networking and security are very flexible. Perfect tool to pull out of the technical toolbox when you need a server.

Cons

The variety of choices and configuration options increases the level of complexity. Ideally you know what you're doing before you get started. Windows pricing is a bit steep, but one is better off not running servers on Windows anyways. For paying customers with a certain volume, they need to include a free support level that at least allows bug reporting. We pay them more than $10K/month, and it's crazy we can't even send them a support email or do a chat without paying hundreds more per month.

Microsoft Azure and DigitalOcean

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

Softlayer was very immature at the time. Compared to what AWS offered, it was like driving a model T versus a Ferrari. I'm sure Softlayer has improved by now, but they were so far behind (and it's IBM after all), that I can't imagine they've come anywhere close to catching up.

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

AWS had the most mature and comprehensive offerings at the time. Azure has caught up a lot and has some compelling offerings. But, the AWS ecosystem is still our preference for the best functionality, flexibility, breadth of offerings, and pricing.
Carlos alberto G.

Experience to grow

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

I have been able to solve many types of problems, from simple hostings, to applications that have grown and needed to scale. The configurations are simple for the most part, and you can really grow without the need for large expenses or investments of time in implementing astronomical solutions.

Pros

I think the whole EC2 environment is impressive, the set of tools allows for implementations of all kinds and on the scale that is necessary. Currently there are many configuration options, the user interfaces have improved making the use fluid and very easy to understand. All the implementations that I have had to carry out have been fast and the integrations with the existing resources have not been a problem.

Cons

In my case, I would like to have some extra tool available to manage the operating system of the instances.

Cloud Servers

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

Poor support and few tools

MyWebsite

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

The price commands many times, but in this case the amount of options and possibilities offered by the platform.
Sagar J.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Get ready your instance with few clicks

Reviewed on 17/05/2021

Easy configuration
Easy to access with go performance
Easy to customized
Easy to suspend and terminate
Preferable to go with EC-2 anytime.

Pros

AWS EC2 allows you to create an instance i.e Elastic compute within a few clicks.
For AWS EC2 you do not need to be worried about the installation and partitions and etc configurations.
Instead of selecting the things you just choose your requirement and get it configured with fully installed Everything within few clicks.
Here you get save your time
Here you get to save you money as you have to pay only as you required.
You have to option as well for free tier to the testing purpose of EC2.
Even you have to option to choose a flavor as per your requirement
you can have an option to choose the categories wise instance

You can just say that: easy simple deployment with EC2

Cons

If you have to configure the instance-EC2 you have to pay as per the billing criteria.
You are not allowed to configured or customized your free tier instance-EC2.
If you are not paying for your instance-EC2 your instance will be suspended.

vSphere

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

Better performance Easy to understand Easy to access cost saving - as pay as use

Microsoft Azure and vSphere

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

AWS EC2 comes with Advanced features Easy to established connectivity with databases, firewalls, VPNs, Easy to install and experience good performance
Adebayo O.

Your Personal Server in the Cloud

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

Overall, Amazon EC2 was amazing both for learning the ropes of the AWS universe and for testing, and/or deployment of a new application in the cloud without going through the hurdle of buying and setting up a physical server

Pros

The ease of being able to spin up a server with a few clicks and under 5 minutes puts Amazon EC2 as the go to instance during testing and deployment of an application. You can basically scale horizontally or vertically as required which is more preferable when compared to on prem

Cons

You need to be well vast in computer security and a few basic concepts about a server to be able to properly configure the instance. Else, you run the risk of exposing your data if not setup correctly

Microsoft Azure

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

The learning curve for Amazon was quite easier and it has a huge community following it.

Scale with Amazon EC2

Reviewed on 18/03/2022

Pros

1. Ease of Use
2. Scalability
3. Availability of wide range of linux and window distributions
4. Quick and Easy spin of virtual servers
5. Support of all the major development languages
6. Spin up the server as per need and save cost on your requirement
7. Resize your instances based on changes in the requirement
8. Flexible Pricing Options.
9. Secure and Reliable in or out of network accessibility
10. Snapshot of Instances can be saved on S3 storage in case you need to use it later.
and many more...!!

Cons

Learning curve is there, apart from there nothing is bad about Amazon EC2 services.

Navneet N.

The Amazon EC2 review

Reviewed on 22/03/2022

My overall experience with EC2 was great. I loved the ease and scalability of the service.

Pros

EC2 is a tool and inexpensive platform to serve your application. I used it for my spring boot project. It is very much easy to use and you can adjust it security, space, etc. as per your needs. You can choose from a various number of images from which you can create your instance. You can easily find guides and documents to help you in your journey.

Cons

There is nothing to dislike about EC2. It is one of the most popular tool out there in the market. And many organisation run their services using this. So it serves its purpose quite well.

Very good cloud service to host application servers!

Reviewed on 09/02/2021

Amazon EC2 has allowed us to host our application server very quickly and easily without worrying about the setup process and security measures, as it takes care of that. Amazon EC2 also has a lot of services for server monitoring and the ability to scale up or scale down servers when required which reduces operational costs as we only scale up when there is heavy load & scale down otherwise only paying for what we use. I am happy with Amazon EC2

Pros

Amazon EC2 has a wide variety of instances with various operating systems and hardware options to choose from, this ensures that we are able to select the server we need and have to pay only for that which helps in cost saving. It has options to interact with the server via application libraries, command line terminal & its dashboard which helps in managing the server. Amazon AWS also has other products that integrate really well and easily with Amazon EC2 making it the go-to choice for hosting application servers.

Cons

Amazon EC2 has a learning curve that a beginner may find difficult to grasp easily & quickly also its dashboard user interface is quite complex with a lot of options and it is easy for someone to get confused and overwhelmed by it.

Google Cloud Platform

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

The variety of services offered by Amazon is much greater and the fact that it has a very wide user community

Extensible with Plentiful Integrations

Reviewed on 10/05/2020

EC2 gives us the ability to automate a lot of our infrastructure installations. Along with the ability to bid on spot machines to make our server costs low.

Pros

Amazon EC2 handles a lot of our server infrastructure and has in incredible amount of features to help deploy our products in a fast and scaleable fashion. Having integrations with other software allows us to use EC2 in an automated simple "key-turn" clusters.

Cons

The thing a least like about EC2 is how rigid creating resources are. Editing things like machine sizes, flavors, and such is not as intuitive. Along with having different sections/consoles for managing instance configurations like networks or security groups.

Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform

Heroku

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

EC2 had the most stable APIs at the time and seemed more mature than other cloud offerings.
Joel B.

The Standard for Cloud Computing

Reviewed on 08/05/2018

Pros

The ability to spool up a server in a few minutes has always blown my mind. I had a recent server failure that resulted in me spooling up a new server to replace it. I was able to get the job done in under two hours. It would have been much faster than that if I had done it before, but there was some learning required in the process. I've documented the process, so the next time this happens, I will be able to get back up and running in minutes.

Having been in IT my whole life, this ability is quite amazing. It was the stuff of dreams over a decade ago and now I get to live it out. There are way too many good things to say about EC2. I can have multiple servers spread across the world so I can service my customers locally, instead of them having to traverse continents and oceans to hit up a server. I can attach and detach storage so I can start working from where I last started. The list goes on and on.

I want to say that there is a plethora of helpful information available to those who need support. The Amazon support information is great as well as YouTube and other informational sites. If you're Google-Fu is up to date, you can get the help you need without having to pick up the phone.

Cons

The biggest con to EC2 is the shear vastness of features, tools, and functionality. For people who are new and want to start off, there is not an easy or simple "get started here" path that I have found. There is so much to learn, and so much you will never know, that getting some help at the beginning should really be considered.

Eric M.

AWS EC2 is probably not what you want.

Reviewed on 06/01/2022

Of my experience with many other providers like Oracle Cloud, Liquid Web, Azure, Linode, Digital Ocean, AWS is by far the most frustrating and one of the most expensive. I only use AWS when I have a client that demands it or is already locked into it. I never ever recommend it.

Pros

AWS has good name recognition. If you're an IT Service provider, or if you own a company for which you want to get funding, name-dropping AWS could give you some additional credibility.

AWS has every feature you could hope for in an IaaS system.

Cons

AWS has every feature you could hope for in an IaaS system. I've very rarely seen any organization or application that needs anywhere close to what AWS offers. Most people use EC2, Lambda, Database services, Kubernetes services, and maybe Kafka. But most less expensive, and less complicated providers have all of these features too.

As a user, you have to set up all of the underlying infrastructure like network groups, overly complicated (but not better) security configurations, etc. Most of the work setting up an environment on AWS is setting up things you don't really need.

You'll receive bills from AWS and chances are, it will be considerably more than you estimated, and you'll have to spend considerable time finding where the cost is coming from, and changes are, you'll have a lot of trouble shutting down the unneeded items.

Sophia T.

The most elastic platform available.

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

I never had problems with this platform, it is really very complete and useful, it has an extremely high level of security, it also integrates very easily and natively with other aws tools, it is a wonderful multipurpose tool, which can be used with or without the other tools of aws.

Pros

This tool is extremely versatile, serves as a vps, and as a base instance for many other aws tools, it allows me to connect to external aws platforms simply, it has a high level of configuration, customization and security. I can specifically choose each hardware component that is needed according to the needs of the projects, and the platform is ready to use in a few minutes, in addition to having a very extensive configuration panel, with many configurations, in addition to a console, which allows Work through commands directly, without opening the instance, its download and upload speed is very high and quite stable.

Cons

It is difficult for me to think of a negative aspect on this platform, however, what must be taken into account is that it is a fairly complete and complex tool to use, so the learning curve is quite steep.

Caroline S.

Simple access and no maintenance cost

Reviewed on 30/05/2019

Amazon EC2 has made it possible to carry out the implementation of services or applications in the cloud, thus saving time and money and being able to please any customer with their needs and all for a really fair price.

Pros

This Amazon tool is really useful since it has great advantages that is why I like it for several reasons being the main one that is extremely flexible, easy to use, easy to access, requires no maintenance and only pays for what is used, account with an interface that is very intuitive in addition to that in case of having doubts about it provides tutorials or a really compressible documentation so there is no way of not being able to understand its use, also it can be customized to cover each one of the needs that search the user thus being able to host any application, or web service of business or personal interest.

Cons

This tool works very well so finding faults as such is difficult, the only drawback is that locating a support team directly can be complicated but it is not impossible.

Eric B.
  • Industry: Research

Amazon EC2 is the best option available for those needing massive compute power and great...

Reviewed on 12/01/2022

For many years, we took in enormous amounts of data from social media networks and we'd run our APIs against them to understand personality, sentiment and emotions expressed in the content. EC2 was a huge part of our processing power and it was reliable, secure, and helped us deliver on our goals.

Pros

The ability to scale up and down our use of the platform is the best feature. We consume thousands of channels of content for ETL and regardless of our ask, EC2 has handled our loads extremely well.

Cons

Setup in the AWS environment can be unintuitive at times, and byzantine at the worst. AWS could definitely do better with some easier means for casually technological teams to make use of the powerhouse toolset.

David Y.

Scalable, Affordable, and Reliable: Amazon EC2 is Still my Go-To Cloud Server Solution

Reviewed on 11/07/2019

Pros

AWS makes it easy to spin up a server in almost any size/performance combo needed, so you don't have to overbuy CPU capacity, etc. Pick from the thousands of pre-loaded servers or "roll your own" with many flavours of Linux and Windows available. I like that I can prototype a project on a small (as in cheap) server and then scale up to whatever size or number of servers is needed. Taking drive snapshots while live is easy and makes brain dead simple backups.
In 10+ years of Amazon EC2 use, I've never lost a server or virtual drive.

Cons

The number of pre-done server combos is in the thousands, and an easier system for searching and finding server images and selecting server settings would be a plus.

Nathan S.

Cloud Computing at its best with a catch

Reviewed on 29/12/2018

Pros

Server Deployment is easy - We use Amazon EC2 for deploying cloud servers for our applications. We have been able to easily deploy multiple configurations from the panel at the click of a button. Y

Built on Linux - EC2 is built on Linux so if you have an understanding of Linux, it makes using EC2 easier.

Cost effective. You really can't beat the cost here, being able to scale at a fraction of the cost of hosting an actual server is worth investing in EC2. You can easily turn off instances of EC2 servers when not in use to save money.

Reliability - Amazon servers have extremely good uptimes which means they are working most of the time, in fact, we have not experienced any downtime since we switched from a fixed host provider.

Cons

As with any platform, learning to use Amazon EC2 can take some time. We had to have our team re-trained to start using it. So it is not ideal if you just want to deploy right away.

Also AWS services are complicated to use in general so you may find it confusing use. For example, the billing panel can be confusing to use if you have multiple instances of servers running.

Because of the complicated nature of the Admin panel, it is easy to get lost in features and tools available, so you are better off staying within the areas of the admin area you know.

Ryan C.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Amazon EC2

Reviewed on 24/08/2018

Pros

Servers of almost any size in minutes.
Change the specs up or down, in seconds with no penalties.
Geographically redundant

Cons

It seems like EC2,and AWS in general, is geared to be used ONLY by developers. A lot of their tools and utilities can only be used via cli or api.

While i understand most of it is to aid in development of applications of many varieties, there are a few basic tasks ive come across that should have been fairly simple to do, nut i had to write an entire program myself to make it work.

Not everyone who uses AWS services are coders. Make it a bit easier for the rest of us.

Documentation can also be a bit spotty, but its pretty good overall.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

EC2 decreases significant amount of time to go live!

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

We are using EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk for our large web application with both Tomcat and Nodejs apps. It is being scaled when the traffic increases and scales up very efficiently. Yet, it is being expensive but it provides us to focus on development instead of maintenance.

Pros

Amazon EC2 has broad choices of setup and configuration depending on your budget. It provides you a lot that you nearly dont need to maintain the instance at all. It also provides you load balancers that you can use it with and you can be sure that your application will scale when needed. If you are using the EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk it will be very easy to deploy and go live.

Cons

It is an expensive service full plus. But you can consider that you are not going to need that much of maintenance power so you can decrease your cost by looking from that perspective.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Very convenient, saves a lot of time and money

Reviewed on 05/09/2015

My company has switched to EC2 for a variety of our servers. Being able to offload the infrastructure work to AWS saves us a lot of time and hassle with our IT department, and It has been incredibly convenient to be able to template servers with a single click, and bring up additional boxes for testing or debugging, and just delete them whenever we're done. In fact, with no real training on the product, I was able to get a full stack of servers up and running in under an hour. Doing this in house sometimes takes weeks of meetings and back and forth between departments.

Pros

Low cost, highly customizable to any configuration. A variety of operating systems are averrable and can be bought up at the click of a button. Third party software is also available through amazon marketplace, and most tools can be licensed through AWS and even come preinstalled and preconfigured on EC2 images. It makes building a scalable, high availability architecture an almost trivial task.

Cons

Monitoring - AWS offers cloud watch monitoring for EC2 instances, but we still found ourselves reaching out to a third party vendor for a true APM solution for the software running on our EC2 instances. It would be great if we could define what makes our app available to an end user and get reports with an availability percentage and aped score at the end of each month to hand to a client and ensure them that we're meeting our SLA. Right now, we have to go to New Relic for this, which is quite expensive.

Winston M.

A great choice for scalable projects.

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

My experience in general with this software has been very positive, it has served me for different types of projects, and even projects outside of aws, since the tool can be easily integrated with other sources, be it other websites, databases, computers, etc. It also integrates very well with the other tools of aws.

Pros

What I like most about Amazon EC2 is that it is a tool that has many uses is very versatile and allows me to customize the requirements that I need according to the project that I am developing, I can increase the amount of ram, hdd, processor memory easily from the website, it also has a high level of security, and allows you to manually configure many functions, such as ports, tasks, the control panel from the website is very intuitive and with many features, it also has a command line for more cases specific.

Cons

It is an easy-to-use tool for basic use, however for something more specific it is really complex, the most difficult to learn to use is the console, it has many commands.

Antonio M.

The best solution for all your computational needs

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

We used it to host the web app we were developing, together with all other websites we were making for that business. We even hosted our newspaper website WordPress setup with Amazon. The developers were extremely happy with Amazon services and were in touch with people from Amazon who were amazingly nice whenever I interacted with them.

Pros

Whatever we needed, Amazon supported. They even had a Wordpress hosting environment that we could transfer our newspaper website to.

Cons

The price was not low as we had a need for a large number of machines and the amounts quickly added up, but it was still manageable.

Paolo C.

Easy way to launch server instance on the cloud

Reviewed on 25/06/2021

I have used EC2 alone or in connection with other AWS services (like EBC, EKS or CloudFormation)

Pros

I am an EC2 user since almost a decade now. My favourite things are: 1) super quick way to launch an instance on the cloud 2) super easy way to scale the instance in case more resources are required

Cons

It is a bit on the expensive side, however if you can commit to 1-3 years you can use a reserved instance and you will save bucks. Or, if you need instances randomly you could use the spot instances which can let you save up to 90%