Amazon EC2

4.1/5

Joel B.

The Standard for Cloud Computing

Reviewed on 08/05/2018

Pros

The ability to spool up a server in a few minutes has always blown my mind. I had a recent server failure that resulted in me spooling up a new server to replace it. I was able to get the job done in under two hours. It would have been much faster than that if I had done it before, but there was some learning required in the process. I've documented the process, so the next time this happens, I will be able to get back up and running in minutes.

Having been in IT my whole life, this ability is quite amazing. It was the stuff of dreams over a decade ago and now I get to live it out. There are way too many good things to say about EC2. I can have multiple servers spread across the world so I can service my customers locally, instead of them having to traverse continents and oceans to hit up a server. I can attach and detach storage so I can start working from where I last started. The list goes on and on.

I want to say that there is a plethora of helpful information available to those who need support. The Amazon support information is great as well as YouTube and other informational sites. If you're Google-Fu is up to date, you can get the help you need without having to pick up the phone.

Cons

The biggest con to EC2 is the shear vastness of features, tools, and functionality. For people who are new and want to start off, there is not an easy or simple "get started here" path that I have found. There is so much to learn, and so much you will never know, that getting some help at the beginning should really be considered.

Sophia T.

The most elastic platform available.

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

I never had problems with this platform, it is really very complete and useful, it has an extremely high level of security, it also integrates very easily and natively with other aws tools, it is a wonderful multipurpose tool, which can be used with or without the other tools of aws.

Pros

This tool is extremely versatile, serves as a vps, and as a base instance for many other aws tools, it allows me to connect to external aws platforms simply, it has a high level of configuration, customization and security. I can specifically choose each hardware component that is needed according to the needs of the projects, and the platform is ready to use in a few minutes, in addition to having a very extensive configuration panel, with many configurations, in addition to a console, which allows Work through commands directly, without opening the instance, its download and upload speed is very high and quite stable.

Cons

It is difficult for me to think of a negative aspect on this platform, however, what must be taken into account is that it is a fairly complete and complex tool to use, so the learning curve is quite steep.

Tigran K.

Takes some time to figure out, but ideal for the job to be done

Reviewed on 22/07/2021

I love it. The job is done and I'm using the first year trial. Pricing beyond the trial period is also reasonable and I'm more than willing to pay for this service.

Pros

This is a cloud web server and does exactly what many people want - having a stable machine without the hassle of installing and maintaining your own hardware. We use it as a remote Linux server with cron jobs running on it and collecting data from the web, and producing a database for our clients. We also host our website there.

Cons

A little difficult to start working with. The product has its own terminology and libraries to use that makes you overwhelmed at first. However, there are some third-party videos on youtube that help you to get started.

Justin S.

Reliable, flexible, and capable: just don't get lost in the details

Reviewed on 06/05/2021

Once you get over the pricing hurdles, EC2 provides a remarkably consistent experience. I haven't had any real problems with it.

Pros

EC2 is a remarkably easy service to understand: you pick a virtual machine of a given type and launch it. AWS has the sort of SLA that can't be matched by an on-premises network environment. Even better, since EC2 instances can be billed for very short periods of time, you can spin up an incredibly powerful machine for a short time without having to worry about provisioning.

Cons

EC2's billing flexibility is a downside in that it's very difficult to give "off the cuff" estimates for how much a given EC2 setup might cost. AWS has a nice cost calculator, but even with that, pricing it out still isn't easy.

Victor A.

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

Great software

Reviewed on 31/12/2020

Amazing experience. I really like their customer service, they are great and very very helpful.

Pros

Very convenient, very good. I really like their customer service, they are great and very very helpful.

Cons

A little bit expensive. It costs a lot of money, and you really need your company to pay for you. I am very lucky to have it covered using my company's account.

Good quality machine with room for improvement.

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

Pros

Pretty easy to use. Wide documentation is available in case you get stuck somewhere. And good quality machines.

Cons

For some reason, the p3.16xlarge (8 tesla v100 GPUs) machine is outperformed by p3.8xlarge machine (4 tesla v100 GPUs) (tested on multiple GPU supported model). I was using it for ML training and p3.8xlarge was taking 27 to 28 seconds for an epoch where p3.16xlarge was taking 31 to 32 seconds for an epoch even though it is a larger machine !!!!!! It has twice computing power on paper but that does not reflect in actual performance. I am not sure what might be the reason but paying twice but slower machine does not make any sence. I hope they will fix this soon.

Mahek V.

Best Cloud Platform to deploy and serve your application

Reviewed on 06/08/2021

Pros

The instance creation and load balancing with the pre configured VM is the best part about it.
The VM configuration can easily be customised and an application can be deployed and managed.
Specifying the security groups with your firewall access requirements is much more easier and manageable.

Cons

The only thing to dislike about it is It has so many feature and don’t have a proper documentation so it becomes difficult for the beginner to start and deploy applications.

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Strongest compute capabilities for develoeprs

Reviewed on 02/04/2018

Pros

Incredibly easy to get started, great user community, lots of online blog and forum help, relatively well priced.

Cons

A little simplistic and lacks major enterprise features that any large company should look for when purchasing compute.

Joshua H.
  • Used for Free Trial

Good first impression

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

It's been a good start, and I foresee things continuing to go well.

Pros

I haven't used the software much, but it's been helpful for when I'm reviewing certain important information.

Cons

Since I haven't been using it too much, I haven't really noticed anything that I don't like about it.

Jói S.

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used for Free Trial

Very robust

Reviewed on 15/08/2021

I needed a place to store a video that would the streamed with another service. I managed to do it but this is not an app for a normal user, you must have the background of an IT developer! My need is solved but It was not worth the time spent to understand how to do it.

Pros

I was happy to have an alternative of storage in the cloud.

Cons

I really had to study how to use it and make it work!

Abdullah A.

Journey With Amazon EC2

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

It is a good platform and with better computing power, connectivity, features, and customer support.

Pros

To be honest Amazon EC2 is better than Google's Cloud Computing Engine. It has more range of server region support, SMTP port support, Customer Support, Faster Connectivity, and Low latency.

Cons

It is not easy to use. If you are a new person to this world. It will give you a hard time deploying a server. Not well documented.

John D.

Revolutionized the game and still going strong

Reviewed on 24/07/2021

EC2 is still the standard bearer for cloud infrastructure as a service.

Pros

It's hard to imagine that we used to live in a world where needing compute resources required an actual human to provision a server. EC2 changed the game and made the subsequent breakthrough innovations possible. Of course virtual machine technology existed before, but EC2 made it available as a service and made it a ubiquitous resource. I use EC2 for personal projects and am still wowed at how simple it is to configure a linux server within minutes, run several tests, then remove it, all for a minimal cost. The interface has improved over the years, you can automate everything using CloudFormations or APIs, and there are so many new integrations with other services that in the future most companies will be Cloud first.

Cons

Finding the right AMIs is still not as easy as it should be. I'm sure that most people are using the same AMIs, just surface those up as an option. Of course, it does make sense to keep the marketplace on fair ground. Occasionally users will forget to clean up resources which ends up triggering quota limits at some point. It's best to have automation that scans for this periodically and cleans it up. Pay as you Go is much more expensive than subscription billing so take the time early on to forecast usage then switch to subscription.

Extensible with Plentiful Integrations

Reviewed on 10/05/2020

EC2 gives us the ability to automate a lot of our infrastructure installations. Along with the ability to bid on spot machines to make our server costs low.

Pros

Amazon EC2 handles a lot of our server infrastructure and has in incredible amount of features to help deploy our products in a fast and scaleable fashion. Having integrations with other software allows us to use EC2 in an automated simple "key-turn" clusters.

Cons

The thing a least like about EC2 is how rigid creating resources are. Editing things like machine sizes, flavors, and such is not as intuitive. Along with having different sections/consoles for managing instance configurations like networks or security groups.

Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform

Heroku

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

EC2 had the most stable APIs at the time and seemed more mature than other cloud offerings.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

EC2 decreases significant amount of time to go live!

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

We are using EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk for our large web application with both Tomcat and Nodejs apps. It is being scaled when the traffic increases and scales up very efficiently. Yet, it is being expensive but it provides us to focus on development instead of maintenance.

Pros

Amazon EC2 has broad choices of setup and configuration depending on your budget. It provides you a lot that you nearly dont need to maintain the instance at all. It also provides you load balancers that you can use it with and you can be sure that your application will scale when needed. If you are using the EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk it will be very easy to deploy and go live.

Cons

It is an expensive service full plus. But you can consider that you are not going to need that much of maintenance power so you can decrease your cost by looking from that perspective.

Winston M.

A great choice for scalable projects.

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

My experience in general with this software has been very positive, it has served me for different types of projects, and even projects outside of aws, since the tool can be easily integrated with other sources, be it other websites, databases, computers, etc. It also integrates very well with the other tools of aws.

Pros

What I like most about Amazon EC2 is that it is a tool that has many uses is very versatile and allows me to customize the requirements that I need according to the project that I am developing, I can increase the amount of ram, hdd, processor memory easily from the website, it also has a high level of security, and allows you to manually configure many functions, such as ports, tasks, the control panel from the website is very intuitive and with many features, it also has a command line for more cases specific.

Cons

It is an easy-to-use tool for basic use, however for something more specific it is really complex, the most difficult to learn to use is the console, it has many commands.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Very convenient, saves a lot of time and money

Reviewed on 05/09/2015

My company has switched to EC2 for a variety of our servers. Being able to offload the infrastructure work to AWS saves us a lot of time and hassle with our IT department, and It has been incredibly convenient to be able to template servers with a single click, and bring up additional boxes for testing or debugging, and just delete them whenever we're done. In fact, with no real training on the product, I was able to get a full stack of servers up and running in under an hour. Doing this in house sometimes takes weeks of meetings and back and forth between departments.

Pros

Low cost, highly customizable to any configuration. A variety of operating systems are averrable and can be bought up at the click of a button. Third party software is also available through amazon marketplace, and most tools can be licensed through AWS and even come preinstalled and preconfigured on EC2 images. It makes building a scalable, high availability architecture an almost trivial task.

Cons

Monitoring - AWS offers cloud watch monitoring for EC2 instances, but we still found ourselves reaching out to a third party vendor for a true APM solution for the software running on our EC2 instances. It would be great if we could define what makes our app available to an end user and get reports with an availability percentage and aped score at the end of each month to hand to a client and ensure them that we're meeting our SLA. Right now, we have to go to New Relic for this, which is quite expensive.

Paolo C.

Easy way to launch server instance on the cloud

Reviewed on 25/06/2021

I have used EC2 alone or in connection with other AWS services (like EBC, EKS or CloudFormation)

Pros

I am an EC2 user since almost a decade now. My favourite things are: 1) super quick way to launch an instance on the cloud 2) super easy way to scale the instance in case more resources are required

Cons

It is a bit on the expensive side, however if you can commit to 1-3 years you can use a reserved instance and you will save bucks. Or, if you need instances randomly you could use the spot instances which can let you save up to 90%

EC2 makes it simple to spin up hardware on demand

Reviewed on 09/09/2020

Really it's difficult to remember a time before EC2, getting a new hardware instance was typically weeks or months of effort, now it can be done in seconds.

Pros

I love how simple and quick it is to get instances up and running. With our AMIs I can spin up a new instance in a matter of seconds.

Cons

Amazon has a massive feature set, but it is a little more technically focused than some of the competition, which can make the barrier to entry a little higher.

Carleje D.
  • Industry: Accounting

Amazon

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

I love, love, love Amazon for this software.

Pros

Love amazon, everything is a Pro about this software.

Cons

Nothing negative to say here. I believe there are no cons.

Juan carlos G.
  • Used for 2+ years

Your computer on the cloud

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

Very good option for cloud computing i recomend it to anyone but you should be ready to read everything to avoid unnecesary costs.

Pros

Easy to setup any machine needed in your enterprise
Capable of setup specific images and replicate them several times.
Compatible with most OS in te market Windows ,linux ,etc.
several prize options.
Several hardware options and can be scaled anytime

Cons

We have an issue with incorrect setup of elastic ip of a computed and it cost us like 250 Dollars for unsetup static ip.

• Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

EC2 - a great cloud offering

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

Overall I'm really pleased with AWS in general, from EC2 instances to s3 storage, to all the other services they offer. Its a great cloud option.

Pros

AWS EC2 offering is a great option for utilizing "the cloud", it's one of the best cloud options I've used on many levels

Cons

For me there was a slight learning curve to the command line interface, but thats to be expected, all the cloud providers would have this learning curve.

Anastasia P.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Reliable cloud server

Reviewed on 20/03/2020

It is a good cloud information store. It is stable and reliable.

Pros

I can use it to store different kind of information, including a personal one. The cloud server makes it easier to control your computer resources.

Cons

Interface is a bit complicated for new users. I am used to more intiutive interfaces, probably. Pricing plans coould be more flexible.