Lumen5

AI-based video creating, editing and marketing platform

4.6/5 (92 reviews)
Abigail N.

Easy way to convert blog posts to videos

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 13/07/2018

Pros

Here's what I liked about Lumen5
1. Creating a video is pretty straightforward: After signing up, you'll be taken to your dashboard. Click on the create video button, after which you'll be shown 3 options, create a video from an article or blog post, copy & paste your content, or create a video from scratch.

2. Instant Videos: According to Lumen5 "These are intelligently crafted videos based on your blog posts." to create an instant video you'll have to add at least 1 RSS feed. After adding a feed you'll get the notification "Successfully added! We're analyzing that feed and will send you an email when we have videos ready." It took roughly 5 minutes to receive the email but instead of waiting for the email, after two minutes I refreshed the instant videos page and there were already draft videos from my blog posts. I could then edit their suggestions and tailor it to my needs.

3. Media Gallery: Lumen5 had their gallery of images, stock music and gifs which I could use to make my videos. I liked that I could upload my own images.

4. Video Orientation: I liked that I could make a landscape 16:9 video, or a square 1:1 video.

5. Video length: Lumen5 lets you choose what speed you want the "slides" to play at, this determines the length of the video. You can choose fast, slow or normal. The number of slides also determines how long your video would be.

Cons

1. Instant Videos: I added 2 RSS feeds to Lumen5, one was to my LGBT book blog and the other was to my marketing blog. I wanted to see what intelligent videos they would create and while the video for my marketing blog was good, the videos for my book blog was horrible.
The images suggested did not match any of the blog posts. This is probably because while they have a good media gallery, the images are mostly generic or marketing related, so I had to replace all the images in the video.
What I think should be done: I think they need to add more diversity to the images in their media gallery. I know there is an option to upload my own image but I still think they need to have a varied selection of images that can be used for non-marketing related videos. I also think they need to improve their AI to select suitable images for a video.

2. Video Speed/Lenght: Currently the length of the video depends on the number of slides and the video speed, ie fast, slow or normal. However, if you choose "fast" this speed is applied to all the slides.
What I think should be done: I'd like to be able to vary the speed of each slide, there are some slides I'd like to be longer than the rest because it might have a lot more info than other slides, or because I want people to take an action or notice something specific. I'd rather not have all the slides play slowly.

Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

The best social media platform video.

Reviewed on 07/01/2019

I needed to create videos with my personal style.

Luxury content with music of the highest quality harmonious, cultural and inspiring.

With Lumen5 I can do all this, creating videos with text content and images, or just images, or just texts, and the best, combining my ideas according to Lumen's own image and video library!

It is wonderful! It has mainly Hard Rock music to serve as soundtrack for my videos!

I love you guys!

Please feed the platform with more images and videos from Malibu, Los Angeles, California.

Pros

Lumen5 is the best video creation platform available. I feel happy and grateful to have been one of the first users in the community. I remember that I needed to create videos from my content for #LuxuryDistrict on Instagram and Youtube, but I did not know how to start.

Suddenly I received an invitation from team, introducing the launch of the platform!

I love you guys! I wish you all the blessings and success ever! Congratulations!

Cons

When the branding color palette was only put to premium users. But its alright! Lumen5 is evolving every day! Congratulations!

Wendy F.
Industry: Writing & Editing
Company size: Self Employed

Lumen 5 for Easy Peasy Videos.

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 12/02/2019

I've added videos to my Facebook groups and web pages. I upload to YouTube. My focus isn't on videos -- I do lots of writing, images, videos and more. BUT I spend a few hours, do a video or two and they really catch attention of my followers. Lumen makes it a fun experience for me!

Pros

I really like this software as I can enter a URL from my site, or a cut and paste from a document on my computer -- and BAM, Lumen makes a video.

Lumen sends an email when the video is done -- they select the important parts of the page that you'd likely want in the video. They split up the page into slides. They also automatically pick images for each slide, and places the text on it. It's really a pretty nice process... so easy peasy!

I always edit. I change many of images as they auto-select images from their massive library of images, but I prefer finding my own and I enjoy that part of making the video look like it flows nicely. Some of the images are gif images that move... so the video goes image to image and also some frames have the leaves on the tree moving in the breeze, or a person smiles or waves. I like really that.

I sometimes change the text selected automatically by the app. I delete a slide, add another, and change the highlighted text... just depends.

I also always add music. You can search by the mood of the music so its relatively easy to pick one that fits nicely. Even if they added Voice Over (my "con" in this review), I'd still want music in the background.

Cons

I need a voice over option -- and that's my problem right now. I'd like to use these videos for Udemy classes and more, but I need to speak as I go. I hope they offer this soon in an upgrade!

Industry: Education Management

Viral videos aren't just about being funny. They're about identity creation.

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

Lumen 5 is a great little tool to make quick videos to add to our blog posts or use as a post promotion on a variety of social media platforms.This is SO cool and informative

Pros

October 4, 2017 at 4:16 pm
I have been wanting to find an easy program or app to create short videos but many seem complicated for me, but Lumen5 Surprised me.A skill that helped me interpret information in a rational way and manage information for a given time Duration. load of a lot of feature and components are available. plus This software allows to create short videos from the website / Blog links, by entering the website/Blog URL post and utilizing their special Features to create a script for our video.
Features includes,
1.Text positioning
2.Keyword highlighting
3.Easily access millions of photos available at your finger tips.
4.Choose from thousands of free audio files and background music tracks
5.Upload your own logo and display
6.Font choices
7.Video resolution
8.Animation etc...

Can make the entire video creation process simple and intuitive

Cons

It Requires Excellent Connection When creating videos. Video results is great if you have a great connection too..

Brian B.

Easy Way to Create Videos From Posts

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

Pros

This is a pretty cool and easy way to generate high quality videos from blog posts/existing content. Overall, I like how it scans your content and then lays out a suggested video with images and motion animation. It also allows you to select music to give your videos more depth.

Cons

Some of the editing features are limited and lacking. This in a way keeps the production process simple and saves time, yet at times can be a bit frustrating when you'd like more options.

Ale R.
Industry: Newspapers

Amazing, easy and fast for make video

Reviewed on 15/02/2018

We add more content value on our site, create a new way to distribute our content on new format. We have a growing youtube channel thanks to lumen5

Pros

Make videos is really expensive and time consuming. Lumen 5 is take to next level if you work with content. Is perfect, because today people consume content on post or video.

We use it on somosmamas.com.ar to transform a post into a video in minutes, now we have a youtube channel and growing.

- Easy to use
- Good library
- Fun to use
- Low cost for make a video
- access to premium library
- improved every single day
- dont have to writte, import text for articles
- Non video expert need (forget about adobe premiere)
- Fast result
-Perfect for brief video (1-1.30min)
- Great for add a video to your content

At the moment is the best solution for video. Fast, Easy and good end result

Cons

- not all video format
- need to have better personalization
- without a discount is not cheap
- no audio recording at the moment (no voice over)
- sometimes take time on rendering the video
- need more text animation

Amazing tool for creating shareable videos in minutes

Reviewed on 31/05/2018

Pros

At the risk of sounding dramatic, Lumen5 was a gamechanger. While I typically don't use the blog-to-video feature as much, it's really cool and lets you create videos for social media easily - even for those without experience in video editing software. Engagement on my clients' social media account has gone way up since I started using more video.

Cons

The ONLY issue I have is when uploading your own video footage, sometimes the "timing" seems off as it's based on the amount of text, and consequently, the video almost flickers for a moment. However, this is very trivial and definitely not anything to worry about - I don't think most people would notice.

Joyce M.
Industry: Internet

Easy to use and a great ROI

Reviewed on 07/01/2019

Lumen makes it easy to create videos and share it to social media. Their support team is amazing and is a tool that works for me and my business.

Pros

I love how I'm easily able to make videos in a faster pace than before. Its a simple to use software and for that my business has grown.

Cons

Rendering time may take up to 10 minutes.

Connor M.

Amazing video creator and editor that allows you to upload a blog post for automatic video creation

Reviewed on 09/06/2018

Easily created dozens of videos for our marketing purposes. This is something I would not have thought one person would have been able to do but I was able to churn out videos without having a team to help.

Pros

We never purchased this because the free version was absolutely amazing. I was surprised there was so much functionality in the base version. The one thing the free version didn't have that I would have paid for is HD video quality but it was still good enough for our purposes. The integrated stock photos, video backgrounds, and background music is fantastic and was something I used extensively in our marketing.

Cons

It's amazing, but the one thing I wish existed that I brought up to their team is if you duplicate a previously made video, you can't change the blog post associated with it in their interface that allows you to easily copy and paste text from the blog post that the video is intended for. This is such a small complaint for an amazing free product.

Jennifer S.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Fun and Easy!

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 24/12/2018

I love that it keeps emailing me with suggestions and new ideas to present my messages/blog content. I honestly have forgotten in between videos that I even have access to this software...and then I get an email with my own content in a video that Lumen5 created and it jazzes me up to want to edit it and create my own video and share my content in a new way. It's like an accountability coach that sends me a reminder every time I post a new blog. I love that!

Pros

First of all, I love that it gave me the idea to make videos out of my blogs! I love that it keeps me up to date on that idea by sending me sample videos that it created for me automatically. I have not loved the automatic ones, but it gives me the nudge I need to be able to create what I prefer and then share a pretty cool product that I made in a very short period of time.

Cons

I don't like the videos it creates for me so far. I don't think the automatic program has any idea how to handle my perspective/approach - the automatic videos are very basic.

Jessica F.
Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Perfect for social videos!

Reviewed on 08/01/2019

Overall, great experience!

Pros

The software is very user-friendly and makes professional social videos, sized for different platforms. The video can be customized with your campaign logo and the highlight can be set to a specific color using the hex code from design files.

Cons

The two major cons: 1) It takes forever to render the video once created. 2) The highlight can only be placed on one section of the text, not in two different sections. That makes picking what to highlight a little tricky and it's not always exactly what you want.

James M.

Final analysis

Reviewed on 07/01/2019

There is only problem I am solving now.
Getting clients for my business.

Pros

Easy to use, most importantly it is highly professional and attractive.
I like music and all features.
I think most of contacts and connection will go for it sooner than later.

Cons

What I liked least about this software was when it failed to reach the URL I entered.

Shannon simone M.

Pro Videos with ease

Reviewed on 02/02/2019

Lumen5 will have you look like a video Pro and no time you can turn your blog of content post into a live and gauging video in a matter of minutes. The simple to use interface edits and renders super fast.

Pros

What I like most about lumen5 video software is it makes anybody look like a pro and is an absolute blast to use. The software the must have for Content marketing and comes with a free robust Library a video photo and music as well as templates. You can easily import your own content or start a piece of content from scratch it's a super fast way to turn a piece of content into a video for your social sharing platforms in a flash.

Cons

There's is nothing to not love about the software.

Easy Videos

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 06/11/2019

I've been using Lumen5 to create short videos for Facebook for a client. The videos have typically been well received and the best part is that they don't take very long to create at all. The free images and video clips are helpful for when you don't have your own content to put in the video too.

Pros

Lumen5 is a great way to create short videos from articles, blogs, etc for social media. The software grabs the content, drops it into videos and creates the slides you need (you can adjust them as you need to). It's helped level the playing field for creating video content for me without having to pay a small fortune.

Cons

The software can be a little finicky when you're trying to adjust where and how long text shows up, but it works well otherwise.

Sr. brittany H.
Industry: Education Management

Create Quick Text Based Videos for Social Media

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Pros

I ran across Lumen5 when looking for a user-friendly site for branding and creating my own short videos for promoting our company. The videos were easy to build and offered a lot of stock video and photos. I can create a video in about 30 minutes (max) and format and reformat it for different platforms with ease.

Cons

I wish I could integrate my own audio or even voice overs. Its limited in that you can only use text and stock audio. It is also very expensive compared to what you can do with it. I may switch to another product next year.

Ron elius S.

One of my most favorite Video Creation and Marketing Tool

Reviewed on 22/09/2018

Satisfied!

Pros

I instantly became a huge fan for this tool because of how easy it is to create Videos for your Content Marketing or Video Creation. Their Machine Learning is great! It automatically customize the duration of a "Slide" to the amount of text you inputted.

That's really a time-saver for most of us! I will also going to add the vast amount of customization you can do when you create your own Video, and this sometimes can overwhelm you in a good way. Furthermore, the Stock Images, Text, Audio, etc., is huge! Customize what you need and with their Machine Learning... Videos are rich and amazing.

Cons

Maybe the duration of the conversion takes long but it produces the best quality so it outweighs the Cons. Customize Search can be improved.

Want easy to make Business Insider style videos? This is the tool for you

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 15/09/2018

It's quick, powerful and lets you create truly custom assets if you put in a little extra effort to prepare your own materials to upload to the platform first.

Pros

Lumen5 is awesome. In about 5 minutes you can take any text, whether from a blog post or just copy and pasted into the tool, and create high quality 'Business Insider' style videos with just a few clicks. It's a great and convenient way to keep up with the demands of constantly needing to push out video for use on social media. The fact that you can upload your own images and videos to use in the different scenes also means that you can use this tool to create truly stunning client assets in a fraction of the time.

Cons

Once you input your script, whether its from a link to a blog post, or copy and pasted in... you can't edit it. You *can* add a line or two manually, but I've found the system doesn't do its job as well on the automated creative side if you do this. That means that if you find you want to add any text to your script after you've already started a video, your best and fastest option is just to head back to your dashboard and start fresh.

Nevlynn J.
Industry: Computer Software

Very Easy to Use Tool for Creating Great Social Media Videos

Reviewed on 15/11/2017

Makes my messages stand out against the plain text versions of my competitors.

Pros

It is super easy to create social media videos using plain text or blog content. I use it to promote events and interesting new product features to share on our social media channels. I have been using the free version for a while and you miss no functionalities whatsoever, the only thing is the video quality is lower than if you have a paid account which is fine for our business. Am considering an upgrade.

Cons

No big dislikes but it would be great if you could also upload your own music files, currently you can only use the music they have in their own database which is free to use and probably the reason why.

Josh bernthold, S.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Blogs To Videos (Out of Thin Air!)

Reviewed on 01/05/2019

Pros

Lumen5 is so flipping easy to use! That is what I like most about the software. I also like the fact of how powerful making these videos for your posts can be. You are able to make videos not off of a post as well and just on the fly. This is very helpful when making a little promo or explainer video.

Cons

I do know that there are other competitors that are emerging since the release of Lumen5. I am just hoping that they stay ahead of the curve and continue to develop the software further and add more features.

Marco M.
Industry: E-Learning

The Ultimate Alchemist!

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

This is an essential software for any social media marketer or blogger that wants to upcycle content into videos. Lumen5 does the work so that I don't have to waste my time. It allows me to do so much more...with so much less.

Pros

I work hard and I often don't have the time and energy to create multiple forms of content. Lumen5 does that for me. It takes the sweat that I put into writing my blog posts and turns them into attention-grabbing videos...instantly.
All I have to do is spend a few minutes reviewing the content and then, click, I have a video.
I love how Lumen5 offers a bank of images to choose from and then has an algorithm that fits them with my content.
I love how I can alter texts, add music and speed up or slow down the images. Basically, I love that Lumen5 not only saves me time, but also gives me the freedom to customise my videos. What a software!

Cons

The functionality of voiceovers needs some attention. I'd like greater control over where I place them and how they fit into each slide.

Vivian A.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

Pros

I really like how easy Lumen5 use to use to create awesome video

Cons

I dislike the pricing. I had access to Lumen5 via appsumo for 1 year.

Company size: Self Employed

Time saving video creation software

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Lumen5 has helped me become more productive by saving time on video creation that I need for myself and my clients.

Pros

I love that Lumen5 has made creating a video from an article so easy with such great-looking results.

Cons

Customization of fonts and styles was limited, but has recently expanded and so I'm continuing to use this tool more often.

Matthias S.

If you are blogging, you need this tool! :-)

Reviewed on 27/07/2018

Easy and fast production of great videos.

Pros

This tool scans your blog posts and generates videos on his own, using the written words in your blog posts as a sort of subtitles, and searching and using to this subtitles fitting pictures. You are able the change the words, change the pictures, using background music... If you know how, a new video may be produced in less than 30 minutes (or even much faster).

Cons

To highlight the text or to change the text is sometimes a bit frustrating (at least on my laptop). When you are ready it takes several minutes to generate your (downloadable) video.

Ifeoma O.
Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

MAKING VIDEOS WITH LUMEN5

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 26/09/2019

Over, Lumen5 was a good investment and I especially loved the quality of the video.

Pros

I love the fact that I can make Videos Ads for my trainings with Lumen5 which delivers the message I want to pass across.

Cons

I don't like the fact that it's not so easy to manipulate Lumen5 especially while using the edit button. A newcomer to the app may find it cumbersome.

Lumen5's AI Is So Helpful

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

I have saved so much money being able to produce my own quality videos and upload them to YouTube, Instagram, FB, and Twitter. LOVE this program.

Pros

Once you copy and paste your content, the AI chooses the text to highlight and it is a huge time saver. The stock video, music, and photo selection are fantastic. Being able to change the speed is also helpful.

Cons

Sometimes the AI puts too much text in a single frame and I had to learn how to separate the slides, but they have a great FB group that was really helpful.