IBM SPSS Statistics Reviews

IBM SPSS Statistics

Write a Review!
Business intelligence and statistical analysis software

4.2/5
4.5/5
4.0/5
4.1/5

637 Reviews for UK Users

Carlos
Carlos
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Analyze the information of your work with this software specialized in statistics.

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

The use of IBM SPSS by our company has generated excellent results in the planning, management and dissemination of our management as a Health Center. It is thanks to the options of IBM SPSS, that I have been able to systematize, compare and analyze large databases of our patients, offering better solutions to their problems and establishing the statistical data necessary for the evaluation of our activities. Large companies that wish to project themselves and compete in the market, I recommend that they use this software and thus will be able to make the best management decisions according to the evaluation of the data inherent to their company.

Pros

IBM SPSS, is a very sophisticated software that specializes in statistical analysis according to different data and variables such as graphical databases, probabilities, percentiles and so on. The most outstanding feature of this software is that it has many modules, which are the computer language of the software and allow a more exhaustive analysis of the information collected in your work. Among the most outstanding modules we have tables, categories of variables, joint analyses, maps, exact tests, data validation, analysis of lost values. It is a software that, with practice becomes the best tool for database analysis thanks to its file system, which facilitates the processing of information. Another advantage of this software is that it considerably reduces the analysis time of statistical variables, making the productivity of workers is optimal.

Cons

In order to fully manage IBM SPSS, it is necessary to apply certain computer knowledge, which means that not everyone, including expert social scientists, can use this software in its entirety.

Mohammad
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

SPSS Still best statistical application.

Reviewed on 13/02/2023

The greatest application I have worked on in statistics. Indeed nothing compared.

Pros

It is very easy to use unlike other applications. It is very specialized in its category and you do not need much time to understand how it works.

Cons

More ideas might be required to reflect dashboards as a result of the analysis. More diagrams maybe needs to be added to the application.

• Industry: Market Research

Absolutely horrible

Reviewed on 18/01/2019

Absolutely horrible. It runs like a behemoth and can't even merge files without sitting there after you click a button... just sits there. Doesn't tell you it's working, doesn't tell you how long it will take, doesn't give you any indication that it hasn't just frozen. And sometimes it does. I've let it sit for 30 minutes before waiting to merge a file with less than 10,000 variables. What a joke.

Pros

It's supposed to help analyze data, but you don't get to that point... they screw up the basics.

Cons

The programmers can't even get the basics right. Opening, saving, merging data seem to be like way too much for this to handle. Poorly programmed is giving them the benefit of the doubt. Completely runs like a third grader programmed it in his spare time between multiplication table flashcards.

Hilary
  • Industry: Veterinary

Analyse your dissertation data with spss

Reviewed on 07/06/2019

Hard to use, but it gets the job done, and you get your results which are reliable and well tabulated.

Pros

it helped me analyse my survey data when l was writing up my dissertation. its simpler that other statistical tools
I could import and export data easily from excel to spss
l managed to analyse descriptive data and do regressions using a YouTube tutorial.
data analysis doesn't take forever, its quick
it allowed me to edit, when doing school work one always makes errors, and with spss you can redo as many times as you need to.
for basic data interpretetion and analysis spss is the good to go

Cons

its difficult to use, alone you cant unless maybe you are a math and stats guru
sadly it doesn't copy and paste tables and charts neatly to Microsoft word, l had to type again if l wanted the analyse data to be on my word documents and that is a lot of work.

desmond
  • Industry: Higher Education

IBM SPSS TOOL : A great statistical tool for all statisticians and scholars to have

Reviewed on 04/07/2022

Quite satisfactory

Quite satisfactory

Pros

Ease of use and simple navigable interface and great inapp tools that enhance data processing.

Cons

More complex statistical derivation of today academic needs need to be incoporated into the software. E.g KNN statistical analysis etc. Also the frequency in server crash whiles performing some statistical processes should he address

Sourav
  • Used for 1+ year

SPSS is amazingly good for my raw data

Reviewed on 09/01/2020

I am a research scholar and i am doing my PhD. I collect data from the field and it requires processing. since the data is huge, it has to be manageable and understandable insights must be derived from it. SPSS does just that for me.

Pros

ability to process huge amounts of data in short time. easy to use interface.

Cons

no option to search for a specific feature or operation that i want to apply.

maria paula
  • Industry: Medical Practice

User friendly

Reviewed on 30/05/2023

I really like this plataform and even with new plataforms, I still keep using it sometimes.

Pros

It is user friendly even for who is starting to learn statistics

Cons

That you have to repeat all analysis by hand, you cannot change what you did.

Esther
Esther
  • Industry: Information Services

Excellent Statistics Program, But Showing Its Age

Reviewed on 22/12/2019

Overall, among statistics programs, SPSS is by far the easiest to use in my experience. It offers an extensive set of statistical tests, can import data from multiple outside programs, and walks you through many of the set up steps for the more-advanced statistical tests. However, the interface, while easy to use, is showing its age and isn't always the most pleasant. Additionally, it will often experience freezes when importing data, to the point that the external program needs to be restarted in order to finish the import. If you can get past these relatively minor concerns, however, SPSS is for many users the best option for performing statistical tests, and its cost can be tailored to your individual needs.

Pros

Easy-to-use interface, comprehensive feature set, works with a wide variety of data sources, multiple purchase options for individualized needs

Cons

Often slows down when dealing with large datasets, has a tendency to freeze for long periods of time when importing data, not all statistical tests offered by the software are well-documented or well-designed

SAS-STAT Software

Reasons for Switching to IBM SPSS Statistics

Better cost and subscription options
Michael
  • Industry: Market Research
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

SPSS for Strong Stellar Statistical Analyses that tell Stories

Reviewed on 03/01/2024

Elated with product. Began simply using it for market research and surveys but now will run through it given its ease of use with all sorts of analyses and data.

Pros

The massiveness and extent of value it can unravel from data in processes that are "easy", intuitive, and "make sense". LOVE using product for complexly designed survey analyses - they are lots of fun

Cons

I like least that not everybody uses the software and thus miss out on these collaborative discovery sessions that leave all participants with a firmer grasp on what data story telling REALLY is

• Industry: Research

Best Statistical package for data analysis

Reviewed on 11/10/2023

Pros

It is easier for data analysis in Statistics

Cons

It may not be used to perform all things in Data science

Rouzlani
  • Industry: Import & Export

Complete your research with SPSS !

Reviewed on 03/08/2022

As a doctoral researcher in economics and international trade, I recently relied on the SPSS program to analyze the questionnaire for my research on freelancers in Algeria, where this activity is not officially recognized, so the only way to access the data of this category is the questionnaire, SPSS allowed me to present reliable results for this research, which is very important for the Algerian economy and to come up with recommendations to adopt this activity officially and legally to improve the performance of the Algerian economy, especially in the aspect of exporting digital services

Pros

In fact, unlike many other statistical programs, I consider that SPSS is the simplest and least complex statistical program, and it will require you only a short time to become familiar with it and master its use.
SPSS program is excellent in descriptive statistics, analysis of variance, and also basic regression analysis, which are very necessary aspects for researchers
The use of this statistical program is not limited to researchers in universities only but can be relied upon in business organizations to prepare reliable and reliable business reports and improve the decision-making process

Cons

On the other hand, the SBS program may not be able to deal with very large data, and from my experience, I can also say that the statistical methods used in the field of social sciences (and this is clear from its name), it is very likely that the results and outputs of the SBS program It will change if the user changes the order of the inputs, and therefore the user will have to experiment several times in a different order and compare the results, especially in the aspect of logistic analysis and generalized linear models

Criminologist's best friend

Reviewed on 04/04/2019

The SPSS has been part of my training as a professional, and later I have used it very often in the development of my theses to obtain higher academic degrees. In my profession, it is very useful to process statistical information that helps to make appropriate decisions regarding public policy. So he's my best friend as a criminologist.

Pros

The SPSS is part of the training of any criminologist interested in studying the criminal phenomenon. It is a complete program that allows any statistical analysis to help generate tables, graphs, and perform statistical tests that allow variables to be associated. It is very easy to use and has a very nice interface. Each new version incorporates interesting elements that allow the analysis to be extended, even with qualitative data. I use it very often in research and to present information of statistical relevance. It is the best statistical package for the social sciences. Of course it is used by many scientific disciplines such as sociology and psychology.

Cons

It may seem expensive at first, but the benefits are numerous, and it is worth investing in it. Of the rest I have nothing negative to say.

Mowshori

IBM SPSS offers a wide range of ways to analysis data for research based project management.

Reviewed on 18/09/2022

It is highly beneficial for our research project data analysis.

It is highly beneficial for our research project data analysis.

Pros

SPSS is a powerful statistical tool with built-in functions that let researchers run a wide range of complex statistical tests for our research project. SPSS is used by researchers because their results are easy to understand. SPSS displays data tables and other information quickly and easily for our research project.
I along with my team members can use this software to access a wide range of statistical models with a lot of flexibility for our research project.

Cons

This program's graphs aren't as good as those in others. Due to its high cost, researchers in developing countries can't use SPSS.
Sometimes, compatibility problems can make things harder for the us.

Dawood
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

The best tool for obtaining accurate and reliable results for statistical analyzes

Reviewed on 11/03/2022

SPSS has helped automate the statistical analysis process, eliminated cumbersome manual calculations and enabled us to obtain accurate and reliable results.

Pros

SPSS is one of the best statistical analysis tools that I have dealt with, and it gives you accurate results that you can trust. SPSS provides multiple options for importing data, where I can easily import the data I want to analyze from Excel. I like the simple method in which Regression is analyzed and how the independent and dependent variables are entered. I also like how we can simply copy the results tables and send them to MS Word and Excel to complete the reports we are working on.

Cons

It's hard to find unwanted things, it's easy to use and just needs a little practice of the operations you want to perform. The availability of educational materials about all the operations that SPSS performs enables users to gain a greater understanding of the analytics they are working on.

Anthony
Anthony

Powerful Data Analysis Tool

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

Overall, IBM SPSS Statistics is a solid choice for data analysis, but it's not perfect. You'll need to weigh the pros and cons and decide if it's the right fit for you.

Pros

I found IBM SPSS Statistics to be an effective tool for analyzing data. It offers a wide range of statistical techniques and tools that allows me to delve deep into my data and uncover meaningful insights. One of the greatest advantages of this software is its user-friendly interface which makes it easy for me to access the tools and features, even as a new user of data analysis. Additionally, the visualization tools are exceptional, enabling me to create various charts and graphs that help me see patterns and trends in my data.

Cons

Now, there are a couple of downsides I least liked about it. First off, it's not exactly cheap. If you're a small organization or just a single user, you might have to fork over a decent chunk of cash to use it. And it's not the most beginner-friendly thing in the world, so you'll probably need to put in a little bit of time to learn how to use all the features. Plus, it's not open source, so that might be a deal breaker for some folks. And finally, it's not as good as R or Python for super advanced analysis.

• Industry: Research

SPSS for digital mental health research

Reviewed on 22/11/2018

I am the Principal Investigator of a NIMH funded study that aims to test the efficacy of digital platforms in delivering cognitive training software to people with psychotic illnesses. Our serves store enormous amounts of data and we leverage the processing ability of SPSS to customize multiple data analysis pipelines. I've used SPSS for almost 10 years now and I must admit that it continues to represent an indispensable tool in my research.

Pros

SPSS Is the milestone of our data analysis pipeline. The software has been increasingly more user friendly release after release, the graphical interface is more intuitive, and the customization options have improved. SPSS syntax is easy to learn, implement, and teach to students in the lab.

Cons

Some advanced statistical functions require syntax that isn't available through the menu options. I find myself sending syntax to colleagues and students in order to accelerate collaborative analytical projects

Rashid
Rashid

Wonderful Analytics tool !

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Great analytical and visualization tool!

Great analytical and visualization tool!

Pros

Extremely user friendly, you can conduct analysis with or without code, from simple linear regressions to complex neural networks can simply be done with the click of a button through the drop down media.

Useful tutorials that help newcomers to the software! This is especially helpful if you have not used the software before.

Versatility, this software can open almost any type of data file and output a myriad of files, for example you can open excel, spss files and output graphs as jpeg or png file formats.

Cons

Menus are very clunky and not visually appealing.

Some advanced metrics for analysis are not easily accessible, these include SVM, decision trees etc.

Extremely expensive! I am not sure how much a full liscence cost but it is worth the cost!

Brian
Brian

The Magnificent software for statistical data analysis and reporting :IBM SPSS

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

I actually find IBM SPSS to be the very best software solution for statistical analysis based on my own personal experience. It has helped me to accomplish much research works by providing me with accurate and quality results within a very short period of time than manually generating all those sorts of techniques like ANOVA, regression, Descriptive statistics and so on.
I find it ideal to work with this software solution and I urge other statisticians and researchers to try out this excellent software because this is something that you can not afford to miss.

Pros

I prefer IBM SPSS to any other software product because with IBM SPSS I have all the statistical data analysis techniques integrated into one component.
The IBM SPSS is capable of manipulating almost all statistical problems including the recent advance statistics.
This is the most accurate statistical analysis tool that provides accurate information such as correlation analysis to individuals or larger organizations for managerial purposes or future planning.

Cons

This software product requires some level of experience and is somehow laborious to use at first.
The overall implementation and maintenance cost is a bit costly, but once it fits in it proves to be advantageous.

Cory

More Intuitive than Other Statistical Packages, If Less Robust

Reviewed on 09/10/2018

Pros

I've worked with several statistical analysis packages during my time as a health researcher. By far, the one I'm most fond of is SPSS. Its user interface in its latest versions is truly a thing of beauty. Instead of having to learn a new programming language, I can easily work through drop-down menus to perform all the analyses I need. The program is compatible with .csv and .xls files, meaning I can easily dump data into the program, and even edit/clean it within SPSS (though I'd recommend putting clean data in, instead of relying on SPSS to do it - the program can be a little clunky in this department.) For quick and simple data analysis, I recommend SPSS to anyone.

Cons

Some other data analysis packages are free, whereas SPSS comes at a price. It's not anywhere near as steep as some other, similar statistical software, but it is not free. Furthermore, simplicity and user-friendliness comes as a trade-off with functionality. Some of the more nuanced analyses that could be performed in other programs, using more sophisticated programming language, cannot be (or cannot easily be) performed in SPSS.

Doriangel
Doriangel
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

An excellent solution for data management and information matrices.

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

Pros

In my profession the collection and processing of data represents a supreme importance, a social worker practically lives of interpreting the data that he collects in reality, to impel strategies and solutions to the problems of the collectivity will depend directly on the quality of the radiography that one manages to take of the group with which one works, SPSS is a tool that taxes to this end, since not only it allows us to process the obtained data but also it offers us an incredible variety of statistical analysis that facilitates the task to us of being social workers.

Cons

Nothing to object to, a wonderful tool, a fundamental part of my work for a long time

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

SPSS still the one after all these years

Reviewed on 20/09/2018

Academic computing in the social sciences - SPSS is particularly strong in data management.

Pros

I have been using SPSS since 1981 and it is still my go to statistical software as I have progresses from a graduate student to a full professor. Ease of use. Verified and reliable calculations. The SPSS paste function allows users to work in a GUI environment but also permits users to write syntax that can then be reused and modified providing a record of data transformations and statistical procedures.

Cons

The wide range of packages and difficulty in telling what procedures are available in specific packages. Merging files has become unduly complicated.

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Somewhat good for it is intended for

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

Pros

It is very good at organizational skills. Never mind the lack of added features, when it come to . just extrapolating or interpolating data or just finding a good system to put into, I usually like this one. The functions are very easy to understand and the storage is very nice!

Cons

This is nothing compared to Excel. You can't use funtions at the simple tying of an equals sign and there are no extra platform calculations you can do to visualize and analize your data. Pretty much garbage at his point for data analysis. Plus you have to go on a hunt to find the feature you are looking for. Doesn't come at your disposal.

Ashley
Ashley
  • Used for 1+ year

It's pricey, but it's SO worth it! I could not have gotten through my thesis without it.

Reviewed on 31/05/2018

Ease of running statistical analyses. Comfort of knowing my data was safe. Comfort of knowing my results were reliable.

Pros

This software is fast, reliable, and flexible. I used it for my Master's thesis and I actually wound up using it for my first HR job at a drug company. I built surveys for them for patient satisfaction and, eventually, employee satisfaction. Using this software I was able to keep our data safe, gather stats over time, and control for certain variables that might have affected our results had I used something more trivial like Excel. Definitely recommend this!

Cons

The only con I can think of is the price. It can get pricey, especially if you cannot purchase a student copy. My license has expired and I have not yet renewed simply because my thesis is finished and my current employer does not have a desire to see employee stats -- not for that price, anyway! Hopefully I will be able to convince the execs that this is a necessary tool. Perhaps a more extensive trial period (or maybe a discount for the first 3-6 months?) would be helpful. That would allow for plenty of time to gather data and run stats so that my executive team might be able to see the benefits.

George Rex
George Rex

The Most Advanced and Sophisticated Statistical Package

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

I started using SPSS back in 2008 to analyse data samples for my friend's first degree project. The version 15 back then that I used was not compatible with my windows vista operating system, but because of the hype and how the product was talked about, I had to find a way around to make that version work on my system. We used a hotfix by the way, so it worked. But I was able to get a good data analysis from a software product which I never thought was possible; something my professor only taught me how to do by hand.

Pros

IBM SPSS is a very popular tool, for that there are loads of available tutorials (both free and paid) to get you started and also pull you out of a usage problem whenever you get stuck. So, its a very strong product with a useful array of learning tools online. I also love the cloud solution (SPSS app on fly) such that you can do your analysis while on the go.

Cons

The software really requires a lot of time to learn and understand its features. It is also very resource consuming and it is somewhat expensive to purchase, even with the available student offer.

• Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Data analysis tool for professionals

Reviewed on 26/12/2018

I learnt SPSS as a part of a university course on time series analysis. The interface is easy to use while the coding required some computing knowledge. However, I have been using SPSS in the workplace to carry out inferential and descriptive analysis without any major glitches. It is more powerful than Excel in handling large and multiple data sources but a bit limited in functionality when compared to SAS or R.

Pros

SPSS is a versatile data analysis tool with a wide range of statistical analysis tools. One can carry out simple descriptive analysis as well as pre-process/clean, visualise and model data using GUI as well as code. The interface of SPSS makes it easier to learn as compared to SAS. Data management capabilities of SPSS are a big plus.

Cons

SPSS does not have any major drawbacks other than its price tag. R as a competitor is free and open source. I also found SPSS coding to be less intuitive and graphs/plots rendered to be less 'attractive' than some other analysis packages available.