Craftybase

Inventory and manufacturing software for small businesses

4.5/5

Sean
Sean

Using Craftybase to Improve Manufacturing and Track Costs

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Currently able to describe our costs in terms of US Dollars per gram, and able to average our inventory into a proper Schedule C tax form. Their price guidance feature also enables us to make our business more sustainable.

Pros

- Tools for tracking individual manufacture events.
- Tracking material lots, traceability reports.
- Expense and material tracking.
- Cycle Inventory Interfaces
- Category feature allows tracking manufacture failure reasons
- GMP encouragement and functionality

Cons

Interface is a bit slow in terms of UI.
Some reports could be improved.
Small new features are sometimes slow to be developed, despite requesting nearly two years ago.

Kristin
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Powerful! Great way to organize and track supplies & materials

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

I used to use Google sheets to track my materials. I thought Craftybase wouldn't be much use to me because my sales volume is pretty low. But because I make one-of-a-kind items, that means hundreds of unique materials. My spreadsheet got unwieldy! Once I started on Craftybase, I wish I had subscribed way sooner!

Pros

It's powerful and flexible. I've created some custom categories, and it enables me to search for things by color, style, etc. A really great way to keep track of inventory of materials on-hand.

I can sort things by date, supplies purchased from a specific vendor, view only certain categories, etc.

It integrates with Etsy, which is nice.

Cons

Some things I wish I could change preferences on (e.g. when/how sales tax is counted or not).

Not really a con, but I'd love to be able to create custom fields (e.g. color, fiber content) rather than putting those things in the notes box.

Cole
  • Industry: Accounting

too expensive

Reviewed on 09/10/2023

Pros

i like the reports you can run like schedule C, but I found the numbers to be off from Etsy.

Cons

Company raised prices by 3x while my business took a massive hit. Could not believe how much more they wanted for what little i did.

Jeannie

Can't Live Without It!

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

I can keep excellent track of inventory, profits and other finances, and pull reports at any time for taxes, stocktaking and more.

Pros

I love how I can keep track of all my inventory on hand, everything that has been sold, my profits, pull needed reports, automatic uploads and so much more.

Cons

It is a little confusing in the beginning but within 2 weeks, I was majorly loving this program.

Reasons for Switching to Craftybase

It was a lot more time consuming and confusing keeping track of everything on my own using excel especially when some inventory is quite large. This program does all the thinking for me when everything is entered in correctly. It's awesome! and the customer service is exceptional when help is needed.
Sarah
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

A great resource!

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Pros

It keeps me organized and I love that I can refer to my recipes easily. My favorite part is the automatic cost analysis and recommendations for pricing new products.

Cons

Probably the price. It does get a little pricey, so I’ve had to say no to some of the features I really wish I could utilize, like the batch # feature.

Reasons for Switching to Craftybase

Probably the promise of organization... and really it is very easy to use and store data. I just wish I could be more consistent with it. It took me forever to begin because I worried I’d set it up wrong and have to do everything all over again.
Remigiusz
  • Industry: Furniture

Expensive buggy

Reviewed on 15/01/2024

I regret spending time on it. Don't use it as you get use to that will be harder to leave

Pros

It promises a lot. Looks nice simple and clean

Cons

Expensive, poor integrations, no cuctomizations at all. Simple errors not fixed tru years

Cassandra

The answer for creatives

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

My overall experience with crafty bass has been excellent it’s really helping me get a handle on how I run my business overall I couldn’t imagine moving forward to growing without it.

Pros

I love how crafty base to make everything so much easier with managing my supplies and my cost of good sold automatically based on the supplies I enter. It integrates with Etsy it makes it seamless and super easy to manage my business .

Cons

I have yet to find a reason to be disappointed

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Craftybase

Is for the creative entrepreneur QuickBooks is less about creativity which makes it hard when you’re dealing with custom made products. Ways to manipulate your inventory and your products on crafty base which is absolutely necessary for the business I run .
Lindsey-Star
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Great overall database and expenses

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Keeping track of COGs and expenses.

Keeping track of COGs and expenses.

Pros

For a handmade business, it is great to keep track of materials, recipes, components.

Cons

The storefront integration isn’t quite what I would prefer. If it was a true all in one solution that would be really helpful.
It was well worth it at the promotional price but iffy at regular price.

Amanda

Perfect for Batches!

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Has been great. I don’t really call to complain so I guess we’re all good.

Has been great. I don’t really call to complain so I guess we’re all good.

Pros

This is a great way to keep track of all my inventory, batches and packaging. I love how I can make a full product and craftybase will actually account for everything right down to the time used, cap and stickers. It really keeps my business profitable and professional.
Good customer service! intergrades with so many options. Very cost effective.

Cons

It’s needs a Canadian tax/paperwork section.

Would love for it to automatically recognize an invoice and copy it in.

menu set up

Reasons for Switching to Craftybase

Because it does batches and I need that style of pricing and it’s one of only a couple that work with Mac.
Michelle
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Perfect for artists, crafters and makers of any size

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

I’ve always felt intimidated by the inventory process, but after some quick tutorials to familiarize myself with the basics, Craftybase made it very easy to apply the principles to my business. I love being completely on top of my business, and understanding exactly how it’s doing. Having a digital solution that’s perfectly designed and priced for a small business like mine is greatly appreciated.

Pros

I found the software very fun and easy to use. It’s flexible for different industries, and scales nicely for maker businesses of just about any size. Although the software is designed with US tax preparation in mind, it can be adapted fairly easily for Canadian users as well.

Cons

I wish it was adapted officially for Canadian use in the future. I’d also love to have integration with QuickBooks Online. But these are minor quibbles.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Craftybase

The functionality and price of Craftybase was far more suitable to my needs.
Vy

Essential Software for Crafting and Inventory Management

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Craftybase has been vital for transforming my hobby to a business. I would recommend it for anyone who would like to get a better overview of their inventory and sales (and have already referred several of my friends). It can require a bit of manual input/workaround at times to get it to work the way you want, and I hope they'll keep adding functionalities in the future.

Pros

Craftybase covers all needs I have as a small business owner / craftsperson. It enables lets you track recipes, manufactures, inventory, sales and costs, which is crucial if you're going to run a craft business of any kind. It has a great selection of reports that you can pull - from expenses (for tax purposes), to material overview, to category sales and many more. It's a decent price for what you're getting and I have not found any other software with the same user friendly interface and functionalities. Support is very responsive and usually gets back to you within 24 hours.

Cons

Some minor annoyances, such as no easy option to add bulk expenses (such as 10x postage fees for 10 different orders), edit imported orders, or handle bundles. It means putting in a bit more manual effort, but I'm hoping these are things that will be added over time. I also wish they would keep backup data for longer - I went maybe half a year without renewing my membership, and had to re-enter all the data again when I decided to renew.

Janna
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The only usable software for makers

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Overall, Craftybase is the best software for my business. There is no other comparable program to track manufacturing of handmade goods in the way this software does. Is it perfect? No. But they are always making improvements based on user suggestions so I think it's only a matter of time until it does everything that I need it to. And the price? Totally reasonable for what it does.

Pros

This software allows me to track the costs of my materials and labor to accurately price my products. It also keeps track of all my expenses, manufacturing, inventory, tax info and more. It is super detailed and useful.

Cons

It doesn't have an option for tracking sales of services in the same way that it does for physical products. As someone who often does design and printing and other services with my products as well as workshops...there isn't a good way to designate which items are manufactured products and which are just services and don't have a cost of goods sold associated with them.

Stephanie
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Craftybase is a good fit for soap and cosmetic micro biz owners.

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Craftybase is geared toward small craft businesses, but you aren't likely to outgrow it overnight. And the customer service is some of the best I've ever experienced, so if you run into issues or limitations, they will work with you towards a fix.

The dashboard gives a snapshot of orders, expenses, stock levels, and profitability. And, a series of tabs lets you navigate to specific sections intuitively to input new activity or access info. It is a cloud-based, so it’s great those who need to access inventory information away from home base, or those who find that alternatives don't work on their favorite device.

While some user may miss accounting and formulating features, the granular sales and inventory tracking alone make Craftybase worth the price.

Pros

-solid inventory tracking for raw materials, masterbatches, and finished product
-COGS and tracking
-pricing guidance
-recipe archive
-traceability tools for GMP compliance
-order management
-interfaces with several popular e-commerce solutions

Cons

-lacks robust accounting features
-subscription software (instead of a one-time software fee)
-requires internet connection to utilize
-lacks formulating features specific to soap and cosmetics makers
-no banking integrations
-product bundle tracking is clunky

Kasia
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Amazing and a must-have for any business!

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

It's been great to work with Craftybase. Their support is very responsive and provides the quality customer service it's hard to come by. One feature we just discovered was bundles and we are now are able to offer bundled products with an easy and no need for manual entry each week.

Pros

We used to use spreadsheets to keep track of our inventory and raw materials until I discovered CraftyBase. It was one of the best investments we've made. Software is super easy to use, provides many tools and features to keep track of not only inventory and materials but also orders, different locations where our products are sold. It's all-in-one type of software that any business should have.

Cons

Ability to sync to regular Amazon inventory/order system.

Response from Craftybase

Hi Kasia! Thanks for the review - you'll be pleased to hear that our Amazon integration is available for any US marketplace store, not just for Amazon Handmade :)

Bonnie

Ceaftybase for Jewelry Business

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Pros

I like this this is a cloud-based application. It works well for a jewelry business to track inventory, expenses and sales. It integrates with a few of the more popular e-commerce handmade platforms.

Cons

Some of the bugs are frustrating. For example, some of the Etsy fees do not auto associate with sales/products. So when trying to associate these fees, the fields in the Associate dialog do not keep focus. I can click in the field and then start to enter the product or order just to find focus was lost and nothing is being entered. There are lots of associations that need to be made, so it's very frustrating to select the field and then lose focus most every time.

Lynne
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Great inventory program for small handmade bus

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

CB is fairly easy to navigate and learn. Great customer support via email or real-time chat. I was able to run tax reports easily and keep track of inventory.

Pros

Affordable with different tiers and features. Great inventory program for small handmade business. Integrates well with e-commerce platforms and Etsy. Great response time with customer service. Web based and accessible from any computer. Ease of running different reports.

Cons

Would like to see some additional customization options with bundles/gift boxes and recipes. Would like to be able to add amounts of materials in more than one type of measurement (metric, US customary units) Also more customizations with reports

Mystique

I don't know what I'd do with out Craftybase

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Pros

Great functionality! It has everything I need to run my handcrafted skincare business. I can sync my eCommerce channels with my inventory and keep track of raw materials and packaging materials, whole loaves of soap (product components) down to individual bars(products). Craftybase also gives me monthly reports for local sales tax purposes. Thank you for making my life easier!

Cons

It takes a little getting used to, but once you have everything set up it runs smoothly. Searching the help section is easy and you can always reach out and ask for help.

Natalie

Craftybase has saved me thousands of $$ in time

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

As a one woman show, Craftybase has saved me thousands of dollars in time not spent inventory tracking and bookkeeping. Well worth the monthly fee. All my inventory issues are managed and I know it will be accurate for tax time.

Pros

Craftybase integrates almost seamlessly with both Etsy and Shopify. Every time I have had a question or issue, custom service is super helpful and quick. I’ve been using the software for over 5 years, and over that time the developers have listened to community feedback and greatly increased the efficiency and functionality of the software. Once you understand the terminology, you can manipulate the software to benefit your business needs.

Cons

Could use more bulk edit functionality, and the ability to back edit where a change in a material is automatically reflect in all product recipes and all previous manufactures.

Anya
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Excellent for small handmade business

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Craftybase has been a great system to use for my business that needs to track material usage and costs as I manufacture my products. I have been very happy with it and its ease of use.

Pros

Ease of calculating COGS. Also, it's integration with Square Register is excellent

Cons

Wish it integrated with Squarespace. Also, the variances automatically created with imports from Square Register are not overly helpful

George

Craftybase works for us

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Pros

It simplifies the process of figuring out how much to charge on a manufactured item, it basically does my taxes for me and it allows me to know what I need to restock (products or materials) with just a click or two.

Cons

It should integrate more. You have all my user data, why can't I automatically Import it into mailchimp? Why can't I create a shopping list and export it to my local online diy shop? I also can't collate my inventory on the other platforms when something sells on another - access is read only. You could do more with what you've built. Its great - it could be amazing.

Amy

Can't live without it!

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Lifesaver, timesaver.. Wish I'd had it from the very beginning of my business.

Lifesaver, timesaver.. Wish I'd had it from the very beginning of my business.

Pros

Craftybase is an easy to access, straightforward platform that keeps tabs on my 100s of items (materials & finished products) in inventory.

Cons

There are some small details that could be improved upon, and Craftybase seems to be very responsive to user input to improve these details.

Mike
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Good

Reviewed on 09/07/2023

Good

Pros

Ease of setup and customer service and inventory control

Cons

Adding inventory to a second store did not show correct quantity and shows -quantiys

Leslie

Great Time & money saver for a small business.

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

My overall experience has been great. Their customer service has been on point....always quick to respond, friendly and professional. It's been easy to keep up with my expenses and profits for taxes too.

Pros

It's pretty easy to use. I love that it keeps my recipes and shows when an ingredient is getting low or even the whole product so I can schedule when to restock. I am also thankful that it shows my costs in making each product along with showing recommended retail & wholesale pricing, as well as what my profits are.

Cons

Some of the features can be confusing. For me, the stocktakes have been too time consuming, so right now it's not my favorite.

Woody
Woody
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Recommend to anyone who sells crafts as a real business

Reviewed on 20/06/2023

I can tell my unit profitably per product and then keep selling through the channels and products that are most profitable and successful. It is unbelievably cool, I would recommend it to anyone who's in the arts/crafts field.

Pros

This software can link directly to all my selling channels, and it can track my inventory/materials, AND I can consign things to different locations. So I have a literal full view of my materials across every store I'm in. I love that. It has changed my life.

Cons

It's not visually stunning, but it works great. Definitely feels like a "technically skilled" people program. It was a little intimidating to set up. But so so worth it.

Kristina

Craftybase makes everything easier!

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

I love creating, not accounting or bookkeeping. Craftybase makes the least fun parts of my work so much easier!

Pros

I love how Craftybase helps me to track inventory and allows me to set reorder triggers when I approach minimums for stock on hand. It's easy to track manufactures, identify ingredient batches, set pricing for different customer categories, and price/create new, bespoke products using ingredients in the system.

Cons

Since I leverage less popular outside software, I sometimes have to wait a little longer for integrations that are relevant to me--but there hasn't been anything I've pined for that didn't show up as an option as they continually expand their offerings.