Affinity Designer

Graphic & vector design software for creative professionals

4.9/5

Abraham C.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Best Alternative for Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 31/10/2021

Overall, I am very happy with this app because I can finally work on vectors and graphic designs without worrying about monthly fees. It is so cheap and powerful. This is definitely the best alternative for Adobe Illustrator.

Pros

I was an avid user of Adobe Illustrator before they changed into a subscription model. When I learned about Affinity Designer, I grabbed it immediately without second thoughts. It works great and has all the features and tools I need for my work and business.

You just have to pay once and you get all future updates for life! Also, their mobile app comes free after your purchase. How cool is that? The app can be used on desktops and/or tablets. I have tried it on my iPad Pro and it's really fun to use, though I'd still prefer working on a computer. The price is so cheap and hard to beat. I will never look back after using this software for almost 5 years. I am now a fan and I highly recommend this app.

Cons

There is nothing to dislike with this software. I never had any issues or crashes so far. I love it!

Alexandre T.
  • Industry: Design

The best design software ever

Reviewed on 26/12/2021

- Fast development for my customers
- For any visit card design or else, it's very immersive

Pros

I've been using affinity for about 3 years.
It's soooo easy so great and mostly, SO QUICK !
I love designing with this software !
User experience is very cool, the customization is amazing.
And the price it's like we give it to you !

I can only recommend that software !

Cons

Sometimes, I need to go to Illustrator for some specific features such as color overall management or width modification. Anyway, there are a lot of innovative feature on Illustrator that i'd love to see on affinity.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

For the features listed above

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Better UX Less expensive User friendly Immersive Beautiful Ease of use Very quick
Simon D.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Not fit for purpose

Reviewed on 23/01/2019

Not really a finished app

I have been trying to integrate Affinity Designer into a professional workflow for a number of years now but I've come to the conclusion that it's just too painful and there is nothing to indicate that this will improve.

Back when I first purchased this app the developers were promising a roadmap of future improvements which would bring it closer to some of the industry-standard vector apps out there. It's been two years now and not a single thing on that list has been implemented. The few updates which have come down the line have focused on things like the app icon.

The developers have moved on to other projects, and it seems to me that for all intents and purposes, development on this software has been abandoned. I wouldn't wish to speculate if this software will even be supported in a few years.

So we're left with an app which lacks some of the most fundamental vector editing tools. With the exception of skew, vectors cannot be distorted in any way (including perspective) and it even lacks a knife tool. These are tools which are actually provided by many free editors.

Furthermore, many tools are very poorly implemented. Convert to curves produces hilariously unusable results and things like Offset Path simply don't exist. The developers themselves are notoriously unresponsive to please for further development.

Since going cross-platform there have been many reports of Designer's instability and since the implementation of Apples Metal API

Pros

It's cheap, although it still remains less powerful that some free apps

Cons

Development seems to have ground to a halt on this app. Investing time and energy learning could be a waste of time as it may not be around in the future.

Asfak A.

Best Vector Design software in a Cheaper price

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

Overall, I am happy with this product. It comes with a perceptual purchase plan. I can do my 80% of design in affinity designer. I wish they add features like shape builder tool, Image tracer soon. Then, It will be the best Adobe Illustrator Competitor.

Pros

The interface is less complicated. Layer management is awesome. It supports non-destructive editing for both vector & pixel editing. It supports live preview while changing any properties like colour, font & effects of the design.

Cons

There is no image tracing option. Lacking of Shape builder tool, pattern tool, real vector brush tool made this software hard to recommend to others.

Xara Designer Pro X

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

The affordability was the main reason to switch. Moreover, I never need the extra options provided by Adobe Illustrator. Inkscape was not capable of CMYK colour print. On the other hand, Affinity was the prefect match for me considering these issues.

Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

These alternatives were nearly prefect for me. But they weren't a prefect fit for my purpose. Although, affinity designer is not fully feature packed but is ticks all the boxes I want.
Jens K.

IMO the Best Vector Editing Software on the Market

Reviewed on 21/07/2021

Fabulous. I bought the software in 2014 when it was first released and Serif has supplied free upgrades for almost seven years now (bringing it from version 1.0 to 1.9).
It's super easy to learn when you come from competing software and because it's newly developed it doesn't carry the heft of many, many years of old code and compatibility issues around (looking at you, Illustrator!).

Pros

It's modern, FAST (in capitals), easy to use, affordable and regularly updated.
Also, Affinity Designer (and it's companion applications Photo and Publisher) are available on both Windows and macOS with 100% file compatibility; In addition there is an iPad edition available, again with 100% compatible files and great drawing features for Apple Pencil.

Cons

The management of ,global colours' and 'normal colours' needs some getting used to. Once you know how it works, it works well, but it's a bit different than I expected.

Sketch

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

I switched because Affinity Designer comes at a one-off price and the software I used before switched to a subscription model. The other software I used before that was not available on macOS (it is now, but runs really, really badly).

Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

The two reasons I chose Affinity Designer over other evaluated software: - There is two more products in the suite (Affinity Photo and Publisher) and "working seamlessly together" is an understatement (StudioLink basically melts the three applications into one) - Out of the three products I looked at Affinity Designer is the one with the best export options for print-ready PDF documents
Emily B.

Absolutely Incredible

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Affinity has hit every expectation and then some. Absolutely a dream come true and a great program. I love working with their design programs. I used their competitors programs but made the switch as soon as I saw how amazing it is.

Pros

Real-time changes during designing and editing.
Ability to work in vector or raster in the same application.
NO SUBSCRIPTIONS
Convert files into anything you need even for other design programs of other brands.
Quick exporting with a preview and many options.
Works amazingly on tablets and desktops.
Easy to download more brushes, typefaces, and anything else you need.
Now integrated with copyright-free photo services like pixabay, pexles, and unsplash.
Everything is fantastic and I cannot recommend this enough.

Cons

Doesn't like the corner tool at times.
Wish Affinity had a cloud-like service that could download and keep files you're working on available when you switch devices.

Steve K.

Great alternative the Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 30/11/2021

I use a lot, especially when designing stuff for softball t-shirts or for laser engraving.

Pros

Great set of features and sensible pricing, updated regularly

Cons

Sometimes doesn't export how you'd expect in all formats

Janet V.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Great value for a low price

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Easy to get into and affordable.

Pros

Definitely the price. Affinity Designer is a rival for Adobe's Photoshop and it offers a much more reasonable one-time payment than Adobe's subscription service, which most will complain is even difficult to cancel. Using the vector persona was super easy for someone who hadn't done that type of art before. The fact that the pixel and vector persona are separated but in the same program is also pretty neat.

Cons

At this point, I have no complaints. Affinity Designer is a wonderful substitute for Adobe's products, which is what I assume most people are looking for.

C.j. B.

You pay for what you get

Reviewed on 05/08/2021

It is good for what it is, but I felt as paid software they could have had more functionally

Pros

Well cost was a factor, ease of use, simple UI

Cons

Lack of needed features.
The layers functionality was confusing
No auto trace which was the huge disappointment for us

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Need more from the software

Inkscape

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

AD was the middle of the road. Inkskape was free but a hassle and adobe cost much more
Vanita W.

Great low cost alternative to Adobe Illustrator.

Reviewed on 15/01/2022

Pros

Affinity designer is a one-time purchase; no subscription is needed. The user interface is simple which makes it easy to learn and master. You can switch between vector and pixel designs by clicking a button. It is also easy to create swatches and custom brushes.

Cons

Affinity Designer is not cross-platform. I had to purchase a separate Affinity Designer for my Dell laptop and iMac.

Leighton F.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Excellent alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 18/07/2021

With the exception of a few missing features and performance issues that would be nice to have, the experience has been excellent.

Pros

Affinity Designer is very affordable alternative that does most things as well as Adobe Illustrator (and a few things it does even better!) The UI is actually more intuitive than Illustrator in most ways, and those who come from Photoshop or Illustrator will have absolutely no problems adjusting to it. Affinity Designer is perfect for UI design, and illustration.

Cons

Unfortunately Affinity Designer is missing some of the more advanced features available in Illustrator, though none of these will be a deal-breaker for most users. The Affinity suite of apps also seems to have some (mostly non-critical) issues with memory management. Complex files can cause the software to become rather sluggish even on high-end computers. Adobe Illustrator is not immune to this, but this seems to happen with less complex files with Affinity Designer.

Inkscape and GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Jeremy B.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Gotta Get Them All

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

I should start by saying that I didn't think I'd need Affinity Designer when I bought it. The only reason I bought it (and its product sibling, Affinity Photo) was because the product I actually wanted (Affinity Publisher) has a component called "Studio Link" that allows owners of Designer and Photo to switch "personas," which is a fancy word for summoning the tool set for Designer or Photo, whenever they need to update an image, logo, vector, landscape photo, etc. within a print layout for magazines, books (my exact use case), posters, fliers, or any other printed publication for business. By having a copy of Designer, I can use its full feature set right inside Publisher (same with Photo). I never have to exit the program or swap the image file I need to work on. It's not just innovative, it's efficient: one of the functional reasons (outside the obvious cost benefit) to using Affinity Anything over Adobe Anything (including Illustrator, it's main competition).

But the funny thing is that once I bought Designer (and Photo), I saw a need for it. It's now my go-to for designing vector images, which can help me to make a logo for my website or a character + scene or idea design for my book covers (in comedies and coming-of-age fiction). The hardest part is actually learning how to draw with vectors.

Spoiler Alert: It's not hard, even if you're an amateur like me. Get the Affinity Designer textbook or watch expert tutorials, and you'll figure it out in no time.

Pros

The main reason I bought the program was because it integrates with Affinity Publisher, another tool from the same company that I needed for book design. This is probably more of a pro in Publisher's camp, but Designer's compatibility with Affinity's entire suite of products made it attractive.

But it didn't take long for me to realize that I needed a program to design vector graphics, and Affinity Designer scratches that itch well. I can't compare its feature set to its competitor, Adobe Illustrator, because I don't use Adobe products, so I can't discuss what it lacks. But when it comes to essential layered shape designs and special effects (and creating patterns, and designing logos, and so on), it includes everything you need to get the job done well.

It's also easy to use. The product's store page also sells a textbook that holds your hand through designing projects, so it's very learn-as-you-go. The video tutorials also offer quick tips and best practices, and you can get additional design ideas from Affinity's YouTube channel.

The price is unbeatable. It charges an ownership fee, not a subscription fee, so you pay for the product once (and depending on your budget, you don't pay much) and keep it forever. The price includes all updates within that version, and it updates enough to maintain user confidence.

Overall, my opinion is that if you care about graphics of any kind, this is a tool worth having. But you should get all of Affinity's products. They're worth it.

Cons

If I were a dedicated graphic design artist, I might have an opinion here. But as a writer and sometimes game designer, my graphic needs are governed by situation, and so far my situation has not revealed any frustrations that I wouldn't extend to all Affinity products. So, the only actual negative I have right now is trivial. I'd need to use the software consistently to become excellent, and I don't need it often enough to become excellent. But if I were to use it consistently, the tools it offers would help me become excellent. So, there's no real con to buying this program, especially at its price point. Keeping track of the art boards gave me a headache the first time I used them. I think I may have used them wrong. A true graphic designer probably wouldn't have that kind of problem. It would be like a non-writer trying to learn how to use the style sheets in Microsoft Word (or Affinity Publisher, for that matter). Not hopeless, but not easy on the first try.

No, the only nitpick I have is the same about all of Affinity's products. To update them, you have to manually download and install the newest version. Each product is half a gigabyte in size. Multiply that by three (because all three share the same updates), and it can get expensive on your hard drive if you don't have that delete key ready. It would be nicer if they had an auto-updating option available (for those who trust the integrity of updates). But that's about it.

Oh, and Affinity likes RAM. Lots of RAM.

Viktoria J.

The powerhouse of vector design

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

We use Affinity Designer for a myriad of things - from designing logos and graphics for websites, to making merch design for our web comic. The great UI and amazing performance are an upgrade from our previous vector design software.

Pros

Affinity designer is the software I was waiting for as long as I remember. It has all the options of the mainstream competition, but for the fraction of the price. The best part of it is that Affinity Designer does what it does perfectly. But, the thing that attracted me to the Serif software, Affinity Designer and it's sister products Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher, is not only that. They offered their software for absolutely free for three entire months when the COVID pandemic started, and then for another three months later on. All the time, their price was down to 50% as well. They were not only the best, but the most human and kind. And that is the kind of company I want to give my money to.

Cons

A solid bitmap tracing option would be nice.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

We switched to Affinity software because we fell in love with the companies spirit. They offered their product for free to those who needed it the most. Needless to say, we bought the full suite after just a few days of use. Discovering Affinity was, to me, as exciting as making my first steps in vector design years ago.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

The affordable price and the completeness of the package were the middle ground between the expensive and the free option we were looking at.
  • Industry: Design

A good Illustrator alternative, but far from perfect

Reviewed on 31/01/2021

Overall, I recommend Designer, along with the other Affinity apps, but I have something of a love-hate relationship with them. I love that we have real alternative to Adobe's products. The tools are powerful, and in many areas they shine brighter than Adobe's tired old offerings. On the other hand, some basic usability issues seem to hang about forever.

Pros

It's almost impossible to judge any vector illustration software without drawing comparisons (excuse the pun) to Adobe Illustrator, and in many ways Affinity Designer compares very well. It certainly feels fast, as a modern, native Mac app should. And unlike Illustrator, you can buy the app for a very affordable one-time purchase—no monthly subscriptions. Affinity has done a great job of unifying (mostly) all their apps, and this has to be mentioned too—Designer exists as part of an ecosystem, which for many designers, makes it the first genuine alternative to Adobe's Creative Cloud.

Cons

I have not found the transition from Adobe apps to be an altogether easy one. In some part, that is just the nature of switching from tools that one has grown very familiar with over many years. But some of it goes beyond that. The Affinity apps (and Designer is no exception) exhibit some *interesting* UI behaviours. Some of the more frustrating ones:

- poor windows management, making Separated Mode almost unusable
- strange intermittent bugs like a background window somehow having focus (and receiving commands)
- working with colour swatches (especially Pantone swatches and spot colours) is cumbersome
- some non-destructive actions, like deselecting an object, are added to the undo/redo stack (making it impossible to redo other commands)
- no option to globally turn off antialiasing of exported artwork
- no info panel
- no ability to save your workspaces
- lots of other 'little' interface oddities, which aren't big in and of themselves, but which can contribute to a somewhat frustrating experience overall.

Some of these issues have been raised over and over again on the user forums, but Affinity seems very slow to address them.

Michael S.

Excellent Product

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

My experience has been wonderful, I see some of the new AI-type features in CC, but for my purposes the Affinity can do 98% of everything I might have ever wanted from CC and for a much better, one-time price.

Pros

I use the full Affinity suite (Designer, Photo and Publisher) and am VERY pleased with each. The ability to create and edit files in one and seamlessly switch to the other (e.g. edit photo in Photo and switch over to Designer to do some curved text or other vector work and then switch back to Photo) is amazing, and quite a time saver. I create several print-ready images every month and used to pay a LOT more for CC, which started to become a burden. Switching to Affinity saves me a lot of money (and also time)

Cons

Not a complaint, but if this software could somehow use all of the thousands of Photoshop plugins and filters out there, it would be incredible.

Adobe Creative Cloud and CorelDRAW

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Mostly price. I also did not like all of the additional drivers and misc stuff that Adobe installed and keeps running all the time in the background.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Better value, extremely polished and reliable
Rajesh K.

Ditch Adobe Illustrator. Get Affinity Designer NOW

Reviewed on 07/10/2020

I love this tool for graphic design. The learning curve is short, the tool itself is inexpensive (no recurring cost) and I look forward to use it on a daily basis - it's so intutive.

Pros

The best thing about Affinity Designer is not that it is feature rich, but that it has all the essential features for designing/illustration. This software can be bought for a low price (one-time) unlike Adoble Illustrator which demands you pay monthly license fee. The software is easy and intutive to use and I was able to learn the essentials within a week or so. You get basic photo editing features like selection tools for cropping, blending modes, etc.

Cons

Certain useful features like gradient map, 3D, mockups, etc. that are available in Illustrator may not be available with Affinity Designer. But I am OK with this - too many features make us forget essential ones. Besides, the magic wand tool available in Affinity Photo is not available in Affinity Designer - for precise cropping of people, etc. I wish Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo were a single software.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

I was not happy with the high monthly subscription cost charged by Adobe Illustrator.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I know Inkscape is free, but Affinity Designer has an awesome community on Facebook. I love the energy and enthusiasm around this product.
Savannah T.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Affinity Designer

Reviewed on 02/05/2020

Overall it’s OK but the price point is very low so it makes it somewhat worth it.

Pros

Affinity designer is super cost-effective. It’s easier to use than most designer software’s. They have a lot of support on their website and tutorials on YouTube.

Cons

There are a couple issues that we’ve had while using affinity designer. The program tends to frequently close out by itself. Sometimes I’m unable to download the updates without it crashing. We have to use affinity in conjunction with our Roland BN-20 however some of the add-ons within affinity aren’t compatible and aren’t recognize in versaworks. There aren’t enough tutorials to really grasp everything within affinity. I think it needs a little more work and to be easier to use.

CorelDRAW

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

Adobe illustrator was too expensive and affinity didn’t have a monthly subscription and it was a download onto our computer rather than on a network.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

The price point beat all other designer software.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Better than I expected

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

I saw ads for the Affinity suite in the past, but always dismissed them as one of those half-baked knock-offs of photoshop that like to rope you in with "free"trials that don't let you save your files or something. Turns out I was very wrong! Affinity Designer and Publisher are both legitimate and very good pieces of software. They are feature rich, have some innovative features that aren't seen in other software and have ongoing development with regular updates.

Affinity Designer is quite intuitive, can do most things Illustrator can, can open and edit Illustrator files, so the transition was very smooth, with hardly any learning curve. Still had to google some to to figure out how certain operations were done in Designer that were different to Illustrator, and grapple with a few odd choices the devs made, over all I've been pretty pleased with Designer.

Decided to transition from Illustrator because it didn't make sense for us to pay for the subscription model because we only need to use it several times a year for creating product labels, and starting and cancelling subscriptions constantly is just cumbersome. Plus we already have a Photoshop and Lightroom subscription. I tried to move from Illustrator to Inkscape in the past, but that was just impossible, Inkscape can't open Illustrator files properly (even PDFs) and lacks so many features that it wasn't possible to use for what I needed it.

Pros

Coming from Illustrator, it's very easy to adapt to, just minor differences in some workflows, but mostly it's intuitive. It can open and edit Illustrator files if they are pdf compatible, even deal with complex things like knockout groups correctly. It's also has some great ideas that I was pleasantly surprised by that made the workflow better and faster. Affinity devs listen to user feedback and regularly update their apps, so any features that it lacks it will probably get soon.

Cons

Lack of a good font manager, it just takes the fonts you have installed in your OS. No Google fonts integration or anything like Adobe Fonts, so if you're missing fonts you have to manually find them online and (buy or) download them the old-fashioned way.

Some odd workflow choices, minor things that can slow you down. Like no native way to permanently reset the bounding box of an object after it has been rotated, they have a toggle that works for 1 operation and switches back to the (skewed or rotated) original. The align UI and the order of actions to chose what to align to what is strange and can waste time. Other minor things like that that I ran into, but all in all it works well and gets the job done.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

An affordable one-time fee for a product that's just as good as illustrator. Works properly, has all the necessary features and is compatible with other software unlike Inkscape.
Andréas H.

A great Vector Design Application

Reviewed on 15/03/2020

I love this software! I use it every day as a tool for vector design.

Pros

Affinity Designer (and it's sister applications) is application you really must love! The pricetag, the functionality, the support - it's all excellent.

Cons

The progress of making new functionality is slow and on Windows 10 the application is sometimes a bit buggy.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

The price tag is much more suitable for a Small Company. And the ability to own your bought product instead of renting it should be a reason for anyone to switch.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

The price tag and the ownership. Adobe subscription is expensive for a small company.
Joshua T.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Brilliant Application - Incredible Brand!

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

My overall experience with the whole Affinity brand is supremely positive. Every aspect of their service: from the products they provide to the support, tutorials and workbooks they offer is of a supremely high standard. I'm incredibly excited to see how this brand evolves and will definitely be purchasing any product they add to their catalogue in the future.

Pros

Designer is an incredibly deep application that can satisfy just about everyone's demands for digital illustration. It has a phenomenal feature set and works on multiple devices, thus enabling the user to maximize their output and enhance their workflow. The accompanying Workbook is a brilliant way to familiarize the user to the capabilities of the software, and as the only viable alternative to Adobe Illustrator, anyone making the transition will feel right at home - you can even open up your Illustrator projects in Designer! Another great function is the seamless integration with Affinity's other applications - Publisher and Photo.

I have only scratched the surface of this application but am astonished at what can be achieved. I can't recommend it highly enough and think that there is nothing on the market than can compete at this price range. Five stars! 🏆

Cons

Since making the transition from Illustrator, I've honestly not looked back once. There is nothing in my workflow that Designer isn't capable of performing. As such, I have no cons and can't think of any reason not explore Designer and its capabilities.

• Industry: Online Media

Affinity Designer is a Worthy Contender in the Design Software Space

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

Affinity Designer feels like a friendlier vector design option as compared with some of the other usual suspects. While old-school designers and illustrators may prefer a more traditional approach, A.D. doesn't make you work quite as hard for basic shapes, text, etc. On the other hand, the departures may make it a harder transition for more experienced users. And, while this isn't a reflection on the software specifically, as a newer addition to the space, there are fewer tutorials available. I don't use it exclusively in design work, but I definitely favor it in many ways.

Pros

The interface is user-friendly, although there is definitely a learning curve coming from other vector design packages. I appreciate that there is a library of built-in shapes. When I'm trying to work through a design, I'd rather not have to draw a call-out or a cog or a heart. It's nice to be able to just pop them in. I also find that the basic text tool is friendlier than other packages.

Cons

There are some features that don't work as intended or are missing entirely, when compared against other vector design software. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to auto-trace a raster image, which would be helpful for my use.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

I haven't completely made a switch, but I use both packages. I find Affinity Designer to be easier to use and enjoy some of the added features, like the ability to easily create common shapes.

Inkscape

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

It's significantly less expensive than Adobe Illustrator and doesn't require a subscription fee. But I also just like overall design.
Panagiotis K.
  • Industry: Media Production

Vector graphics for everybody

Reviewed on 03/09/2019

As the leader of a small-to-medium-enterprise and an educator in sound for media, many times I have the need to create simple graphics. From schematics and diagrams to icons and beyond. I use them for my company's internal knowledge-base, when I blog, for my presentations in classrooms, and even to create our own software graphical assets from mockups to finished product. First of all, it's no secret that working in vector is what every software developer should do, as it allows for the generation of all the graphic assets to be made in various bitmap resolutions, so your application looks clear and crisp in any device. Lately, even the Unity game engine introduced a pipeline to use vector graphic assets to create games, so that they render in any resolution, I definitely recommend checking this out if you are a game developer.
Anyway, Affinity Designer always delivered a great experience for me and all my colleagues said that I became a graphic designer, which is not true, but it is a great compliment, and I really own that to Affinity Designer.
The exporter feature is one huge time saver, you should check out the videos they have about this one and also the rest of Affinity team's video tutorials in Vimeo.
Overall, the experience of using the application can be described as smooth, fast and easy.

Pros

What I liked most about this program, is the workflow and interface. The developers managed to create a simple to use application for vector graphics, that everybody can operate. I can't remember how many times I got frustrated trying to make a simple graphic in other programs, while in Affinity Designer, the workflow is mapped so well, that everybody can use it. From computer graphics professionals around the world, to amateurs like me, it is straight forward to open the application and start creating. The online help system is awesome and omni-present and the graphical interface is sleek and looks good in any monitor that I tried it, even small ones. I also consider a great bonus that the company keeps a straight policy about pricing, they don't use the subscription model which is very good for SMEs.

Cons

Some advanced vector tools are missing, but the software is still young and I'm sure it will develop to a great tool. After all, the developers seem to have usability, ease of use and fast workflows in mind, so they add new features very carefully, to keep Affinity Designer the great tool that it is now.

Connor D.

It's not Illustrator, but it'll do

Reviewed on 23/08/2019

It gets the job done. That's probably the best thing I can say about it. It gets the job done, but I trudge through every moment of the job.

Pros

It's surprisingly fully-featured for the price. Once you know what you're doing, it can accomplish just about any task you'd use Illustrator (the industry standard) for.

Cons

The workflows are just ... Annoying. Maybe it's because I'm coming from Illustrator, where everything feels effortless, but it feels like every aspect of Affinity Designer was made unnecessarily complicated. Using the program makes me want to pull my hair out, because I know how much quicker and easier and just ... More "common sense" the process would be in Illustrator.

Also, and this is a big one: Most stock vector files are completely useless in Affinity Designer. If there's any degree of complexity (meaning more than one shape), it's going to be an absolute disaster to work with in Designer.

Budget alternative to Adobe's increasingly expensive product line..

Reviewed on 14/09/2020

The pricepoint and feature set make this a steal when you compare it to Adobe's competitor Illustrator. We bought a single license and had our most experienced designer test drive it. He ultimately recommended it and we've enjoyed a huge cost savings for software, while not missing a beat in terms of workload and output.

Pros

This is a fantastic alternative to Adobe's Illustrator, especially at Affinity's pricepoint. To be fair, we're not a design agency first, we make websites and do marketing primarily. However, when we do want to work with vector graphics, Affinity Designer matches up almost 1:1 with Adobe Illustrator. The real pro is the one-time fee of $50 instead of a full adobe suite subscription. This allows our small team to effectively open, edit, and export vector graphics, without having a several hundred dollars per month bill to foot. For small teams, this is a huge win. I'd imagine some experienced designers will scoff that a few of their old shortcuts don't work, but all in all, the interface and function almost mirrors Adobe's for a fraction of the cost. We also use their photo editing software too, which replaces Photoshop.

Cons

Some of the terminology and keyboard shortcuts made the onboarding slightly more difficult for our long-time Adobe Illustrator users, but they've adopted nicely over time. There's always growing pains when you switch tools, but there are many more features that do match up 1:1 that this was a no brainer for our company.

Great software at a very affordable price

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

For the price, you honestly just can't ask for more. I haven't used everything it offers, and I know it's probably a few steps behind adobe, but it does everything that I need it to, and it does it well.

Pros

I have been looking for software like inDesign and Photoshop without breaking the bank. I wanted software that was functional, easy to use and set up, and something that didn't require a subscription. When I found Affinity, I was blown away with how good it was. And the fact that the publisher software works hand in hand with the photo software is a very nice touch. Coming from Adobe, the learning curve was relatively low, and I could open my old adobe files and pick up where I left off. Very, very happy with my purchase.

Cons

If I have to include cons, I'm going to have to be nit-picky. I wish I could safe natively to other file types (I can export to indesign file types, or photoshop file types, just not with the save function) but that is very minor. In some documents, exporting to a PDF took some time, although it was a very large document and not normal to do under any piece of software. Overall though, these are very, very minor issues.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

I made the switch due to pricing.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

I chose this strictly due to pricing.