TaxDome

4.7 (3,046)
Write a Review!
Tax practice management software for bookkeepers and CPAs

(3,046)

Mark
Mark

Terrific Product That Understands How Accountants and Tax Preparers Work

Reviewed on 09/06/2021

Pros

This product is focused on its customer base. It is not trying to be all things to all industries. The developers understand how accountants and tax preparers work. Even in the short time I have been a client, there is a strong development effort to make the product better and more useful. Customer vote on what improvements they want to see added to the program and TaxDome provides a roadmap on what features are being developed and when they will be implemented. TaxDome's culture is focused on customer service.

Cons

It is clear that TaxDome has done a good job of integrating CRM, document storage, e-signatures, and client communications. As a browser-based solution, it suffers from all the problems that products that work over the Internet have. Whenever I have problems it is hard to know whether it is my internet connection, the number of browser screens open, or something with TaxDome and its servers. I do know it is as good as my previous broswer-based CRM and its speed is comparable to QuickBooks Online.

I would like the email and message templates to be better. Currently, you can't use fields in the contact records within emails to make them more client-friendly. Also, the invoicing features need improvement. The amount of information that can be included in an invoice is limited and I provide my clients with a line item invoice to show why their tax returns cost what they do.

Response from TaxDome

Hi Mark,

Appreciate the feedback. This is what helps us improve TaxDome. The ability to add more short codes (add data from existing contact records) is currently in development (you can upvote the existing request we have here so you'll be notified of its progress: https://feedback.taxdome.com/feature-requests/p/shortcodes-in-communication-with-the-client-emails ) and we recently rolled out Services to itemize your invoices in TaxDome so clients can see exactly what they're paying for: https://help.taxdome.com/article/393-services

Russell
Russell

The unbelievably affordable Swiss Army knife for my practice

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

Very positive. It is a great product and getting better every month.

Very positive. It is a great product and getting better every month.

Pros

Their all in one approach, and their incredible ongoing commitment to future improvements, all for a staggeringly low price.

Their pipeline approach to task management is exactly what I’ve been searching for. It does a fantastic job of distilling complex workflows down into a series of tasks that smoothly flow from one stage to the next.

They have many, many YouTube videos to demonstrate different features, and, importantly, also a series of videos that instructs CLIENTS on how to use the portal.

Cons

Some areas are still clunky but still usable. The mechanism for clients to create a subfolder in and/or upload documents to a specific folder is not very intuitive.

Clicking links within the site opens up a new tab far too often. Clicking on the + for sub tasks in a pipeline stage opens a new tab for some reason. Responding to an email from the inbox+ section opens a new tab. Clicking a client name while looking at an account opens a new tab. It seems very unnecessary.

OTP entry on mobile devices is a pain since did sons reason they decided not to let you paste a code in.

The conditional logic for their organizers is extremely limited, although they tell me they are working to expand this in the near future.

These are all minor annoyances in an overall outstanding product.

Liscio and Karbon

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

Lack of development, slow server speed, clunky portal that is inefficient to navigate, lack of a local workstation interface for portal files (web only, unlike TaxDome), lack of task management that works for my office. Developer is friendly and tells me all the time that improvements are coming but they never materialize. All for only $5 less per month than TaxDome.

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

All in one approach, outstanding value for the price. They are rapidly improving the product and continuing to develop it into an even better product. Simple flat pricing.

Response from TaxDome

Hi Russell, we appreciate your feedback, thank you for letting us know. We are constantly improving the software and releasing new features, many of which we take from our user's feedback on our feature request board. We have an existing feature request (available to paid subscribers) to open new tab vs new page.

You can also read more about our Organizers here: https://help.taxdome.com/article/114-custom-organizer-templates

You can reach us through chat or through email ([email protected]) if you have other questions.

• Industry: Accounting

Great in theory; not in practice

Reviewed on 28/10/2023

Would not recommend it.
In concept, I think TaxDome could be a great product, but it seems like...

Would not recommend it.
In concept, I think TaxDome could be a great product, but it seems like they don't get the user experience and the workflow of actual accountants. I wish as they were developing their features they would jump on calls with clients and observe how they expected the feature to work and make the according changes. I am very tech saavy, but so many of their features are just so unnecessarily cumbersome or don't do what we need them to.

Pros

They are constantly making updates. The client portal is a much cleaner experience then the software we moved from. Customer service is responsive (even if not always helpful; see cons). I like being able to send clients messages and task lists - that is very helpful.

Cons

Customer service is VERY responsive, but they often seem to misunderstand what we are asking. They will propose solutions and workarounds that don't solve the problem we are describing.

There is a very active feedback board that seldom gets comments and updates about where certain features are in the pipeline. As soon as you suggest a feature it's put in the "under review" category but some features have hundreds of votes and have been "under review" for over a year with no comment from TD.

Financial Cents and Canopy

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

SmartVault was difficult for clients to navigate; their "Request Docs" had a lot of bugs.

SmartVault

Response from TaxDome

Hi there!
Thank you very much for your review. Our product team would love to hop on the phone with you and see how we can make the platform work better for you and understand your pain points.
Your name isn't visible on the review so can you please send an email to [email protected]? We'll make sure it's handled right away.
Thank you!

Brytwauna
Brytwauna
  • Industry: Accounting

leveling up your tax business

Reviewed on 06/04/2024

I love it I feel like it’s my tax business. It gives me more time to do other things and back and things and as we all know, time is money.

Pros

What I like most about Tax is the CRM system and also the document management enable to give and store clients documents or they’re able to get instant access to their things without asking me for consistently

Cons

what I like least about Tax it’s not just user-friendly. You have to go to some trainings to figure out the automation or pay someone to do it so you’re not just gonna jump in and have it already set up as soon as you pay the cost so it’s an additional fee to have someone out automated but luckily, I found Carmen from Elite notary to for an affordable price

Jotform

Response from TaxDome

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TaxDome! I'm glad to hear that you find our CRM system and document management helpful for your tax business, making it easy for clients to access their documents.

I understand your feedback about the learning curve for automation features. We're always working to improve usability to make it more intuitive for all users. Your experience shows the value of investing in training or outsourcing for optimizing these features effectively.

I'm delighted that TaxDome has given you more time to focus on other aspects of your business. Your time is valuable, and we're here to support you in making the most of it.

If you have any more suggestions or feedback on how we can improve, please let us know. Thank you for choosing TaxDome for your business!

Jacob

Incredible CRM for Accountants

Reviewed on 13/11/2023

Extremely helpful! The customer experience has been wonderful because I feel like they actually want me to succeed with using their software.

Pros

All its many features that allows me to have an all in one solution to offer for my client's satisfaction.

Cons

I wish it had a lead form that could go directly on my website instead of just a link to a signup portal.

HoneyBook and Dubsado

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

Onboardible did not meet what I needed in my business, it had way too many issues with it and I was searching for something that would blow me away. Taxdome has done that for me

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

Accounting was the sole focus with this software and the questionnaires and all the forms were what stood out for me, along with it doing many of the other features that these softwares offered as well.

Response from TaxDome

Hello Jacob,

Thank you for your review. It is valuable to us!

We are delighted to hear that you appreciate our many features that allow you to have an all-in-one solution for your client’s satisfaction. We aim to provide the most comprehensive and convenient service for your tax practice, and we value your feedback. We are glad that you found our system useful and effective for your business.

We would like you to know that our departments are working on improving the software all the time. We appreciate all ideas and try to listen as much as possible to all suggestions that come from our subscribers. If you would like to contribute suggestions or ideas that you might think will improve your experience using TaxDome, please do so by submitting a feature request. You can submit a request by clicking the blue question mark icon in the top right corner and selecting Feature Requests.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please let us know.

Tim

New to TaxDome

Reviewed on 03/11/2023

Pros

We researched a number of practice management packages but ultimately decided to go with TaxDome due to the number of features it contains, and all its functionality is available to the Pro subscription with unlimited clients, unlike others that increase pricing for certain functionality or when you exceed a certain number of clients. We have not fully implemented yet, so our opinions are based on our experience so far and the research we have done, but we like the portal functionality, the fact that clients can use their mobile devices to upload documents to or view the portal, the integrated e-signatures, and the ability to lock drafts until payment is received.

Cons

During our research, the most-often cited con with TaxDome was the complexity in implementing the system. I would have to agree with this. I think part of the complexity is because of the extreme flexibility and customability of the program. There are numerous videos and help topics available, far more than the other programs we researched. We wish that some of the best practices in setting up things like accounts and contacts were more available, as when you are setting up the program you don't always understand the downstream implications until you get to that part. I think once we work through the heavy lifting of setting up and customizing the program to meet our needs, it will be invaluable to improving the efficiency and technology our firm employs, especially with respect to automation.

Financial Cents , Canopy and Firm360

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

The Thomson Reuters CS Suite (Practice CS practice management, NetClient CS portals, FileCabinet CS document management) are clearly legacy products and not where Thomson Reuters is focusing their R&D and future roadmap. However their new offerings are not ready for prime time, and their legacy products lack modern technology (like robust mobile apps and automation). This forced us to look outside the TR ecosystem, and we also wanted to be free to switch tax programs in the future if we chose to do so (we are currently using UltraTax CS, another legacy program).

Fixed Assets CS

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

We felt it had the best feature set and pricing structure.

Response from TaxDome

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your review. It is valuable to us!

We are delighted to hear that you like TaxDome because of our number of features, functionality, and pricing. We are glad that you like our portal functionality, mobile device compatibility, integrated e-signatures, and payment locking features. We hope that these features will help you provide better service to your clients and improve your processes.

We understand that it can be overwhelming to set up and customize a program that has so many options and possibilities. We want to assure you that we are constantly working to improve our user experience and provide more guidance and support for our users. We offer free and unlimited chat and email support, screen-sharing sessions, and a knowledge database with plenty of help articles and tutorials. You can also check out our TaxDome Academy.

Aaron

New User with high expectations

Reviewed on 29/10/2023

So far the free trial has been a good amount of time to put TaxDome through the paces with a handful of actual clients. The integration with Zapier has also been key to help easily integrate the tech stack.

Pros

I like the front-end client experience. I've had several compliments on the ease of the client portal and the ease of uploading documents.

Cons

I wish CPA Charge worked with the TaxDome invoice bill payment feature.

The need for automation.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

The number of integrated features really helps replace at least half of the tech stack I was originally thinking of incorporating in my initial designs. I'm so glad I gave TaxDome a try first!

Response from TaxDome

Hello, Aaron! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your experience during the free trial. We're thrilled to hear that you've had a good amount of time to thoroughly test TaxDome with actual clients! We appreciate your positive feedback on the ease of the client portal and document uploading.
Regarding your feedback on CPA Charge and the TaxDome invoice bill payment feature, we value your input. We'll take this into consideration as we work on future updates to enhance the functionality and compatibility of our features.If you have any further suggestions or if there's anything else you'd like to share, please feel free to reach out.

Linsay
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Setting up a practice and TaxDome

Reviewed on 16/08/2023

So far my experience has been great even though overwhelming. Customer service has been super helpful and the library of resources is huge. It's just a lot to take on at first, but I'm hoping it will pay off exponentially.

Pros

So far I'm still in the set-up phase, which is overwhelming, but I like the ability to be able to set automations so that work will move forward without someone physically doing it. The client portal is easy to use and can be branded. The document storage and portal are what drew me to TaxDome, but the other features are empowering for someone setting up a new practice.

Cons

So far there is no ability to just preview a template without adding it to the pipeline or workflow, which is creating a huge mess of tags and other items that will require clean up. The ability to view in the library without adding would be huge.

Canopy and Karbon

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

The pricing is better and more options are included in TaxDome without having to purchase add-ons like Canopy. Karbon wasn't right for my size practice.

Response from TaxDome

Hello Linsay,

Thank you very much for your review. It is valuable to us!

We are happy that you like our software, and the diversity of features we have to offer including our automations feature and document storage.

One of our main aims is to make everything available in TaxDome so that you do not have to switch between multiple apps or programs and keep everything in one place.

If you have any questions or need assistance with anything please let us know.

Darren

TaxDome Replaces DropBox, Secure Portal Exchange, and CRM

Reviewed on 05/08/2023

Overall, its been a great experience. I love the fact their is a white glove on-boarding process which has been extremely helpful to my firm to help me understand the Tax Dome system and features a lot better. I would definitely recommend this software to my tax pro and accountant colleagues.

Pros

I love the fact that TaxDome replaces DropBox, Secure portal for file sharing, and CRM. TaxDome not brings these three components together, but then you also get a client portal, workflow management tool, automations with your workflows.

Cons

Like any new system, there is an implementation and adjustment period. This isn't really con, but it would be the only pain point, but totally worth the time spending on implementing and adjusting to the tax dome system.

Response from TaxDome

Hi Darren!

Thank you for your insightful review of TaxDome! It's fantastic to hear that you're enjoying the multitude of benefits it brings to your workflow. The integration of file sharing, a secure portal, and CRM functionality sounds like a game-changer.

It's impressive how TaxDome combines these essential components into one cohesive platform, along with added features like a client portal and workflow management tools. The inclusion of workflow automations further streamlines your processes, saving you time and effort.

Regarding the implementation and adjustment period, your perspective is valuable. It's quite common for new systems to require a bit of time to adapt to, but it's reassuring to hear that you view it more as a transitional phase than a true con. Your positive attitude toward investing time in learning and acclimating to the TaxDome system highlights the long-term value it provides.

If there is anything we can do for you, please reach out to us.

Amy

TaxDome - CRM-Practice management for all

Reviewed on 16/11/2023

Positive so far. I need to work on the processes so I can build my pipelines and my workflows.

Pros

Easier for clients to access and upload documents

Cons

I have only had one complaint, about uploading documents in the desktop upload folder. The dev team jumped right on it and should have it fixed soon!

Canopy and Rever

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

Easier to use, better interface for clients. Easier for the client to use.

Rever

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

Cost and ease of use by clients. Tax Dome gave me more for my money!
Dane

TaxDome is the Best Portal Software for Tax Firms

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

Overall, I love TaxDome. I have used many tax accountant-specific client portals in the past and this is the one that definitely does it best. This is a great product and I absolutely must call out again that the developers and support team pay attention to every single firm and person that uses their product to constantly make the product better and better. I guarantee I will like this software more next year and more the year after. I feel this is something TaxDome does differently than other solutions and really prides themselves on, which they should. The client tax portal market is a crowded space, but TaxDome is legitimately creating a product that stands apart from the rest of the competition in one way or another. I was struggling to find a one-stop solution that allowed all parts of my tax preparation process to happen within one software, and TaxDome absolutely allows that to happen.

(Please, TaxDome - do not sell your software to another company! This happened with another portal provider I was using and they stopped caring about developing new features, etc. I don't want to see that happen again!)

Pros

TaxDome does so many things correctly - but the biggest thing is listening to their firm owners. They have a private Facebook group and a feature request board, both where firm owners and users can request features that they'd like to see added to the software. If you have a problem or a question, they are quick to respond.

They also pay attention to the little things - something like making well-formatted, eye-pleasing email notifications that go to my clients mean a lot to me. Their software attempts to be the one-stop solution for tax firms, allowing you to take your tax firm completely online and virtual. Their software is part CRM, part secure tax portal for your clients, and a whole lot more.

Some features I love: web-form organizers (most tax accountants are stuck in the "print out this PDF and mail it back to me" era), billing directly through TaxDome (with no extra fees), electronic signatures, and pipelines to track where your client is in a process. For most of us preparing tax returns, the "pipeline" or process for every client is very similar, but repeated hundreds of times a tax season, and TaxDome seems to understand that.

Cons

I need to continuously tell myself that TaxDome is a young software company and the product grows every day, week, month, and year. A lot of times features I would really like to see are "coming soon" or "in development". While I commend the TaxDome staff for working hard to bring these extra features to the software (and without a price increase yet), some of the features I feel they should have had before they released it for use. One of the biggest is KBA electronic signatures, which are required by the IRS to allow clients to electronically sign tax returns (Form 8879). This is a must-have for U.S.-based tax accountants, especially those of us that operate virtually, and I couldn't believe TD did not offer this out of the gate (although I hear it is just days away from being added).

Overall, I also feel the software, while trying to make things more automatic, manages to make things more manual in some respects. For example, with the "pipelines" feature - I cannot automatically assign my new clients to a pipeline (in development) or send them an organizer as soon as they register (again, in development). Some of the smallest things - like setting reminders/tasks on certain clients - generate a plethora of notifications that create way too much clicking and unnecessary steps just to shut off or mark as "done".

I also wish they offered an option to subscribe monthly. $600/year is steep for a one-man show all at once.

ShareFile VDR , SmartVault and Drake Tax

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

Don't get me wrong, Taxaroo was an awesome piece of software as well. The keyword there is WAS. During the course of 2019, Taxaroo was purchased by tax preparation firm Happy Tax - and for the most part, they have cut off all technical support or development plans. Taxaroo is the same product it was two or three years ago when it has so much more potential than that. In the beginning, the developers were incredibly responsive and, much like TaxDome, cared about what features you wanted to see built into the software. Now that it was purchased, I (and other firm owners that use it) feel like we were hung out to dry, so to speak.

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

There was generally one or more parts of my process missing with each of the alternative products. SmartValut and ShareFile are simple file-sharing and client portal programs that don't offer digital organizers or billing. Drake's SecureFilePro offers most of the features, but I found it cumbersome and the client side of the portal looks like it was designed in 1999. TaxCaddy is a stellar program that I would love to use (probably even over TaxDome) but it's price point is way out of my range ($2,500 just to implement).

Response from TaxDome

Hello Dane, thank you for leaving this very detailed feedback, we appreciate it.

Just off the top of my head, so coming this year are: Native app for tax preparers, @mentions, etc
What really sets us apart is we are not a marketing company, we are led by product to create the best products we can for you and your team.

We have also released the ability to sign KBA - https://blog.taxdome.com/what-is-kba/ Recurring pipelines - https://help.taxdome.com/article/290-adding-recurring-jobs
For questions and concerns you might have, please contact us through chat or email ([email protected]), we'd be glad to assists you.

Melissa
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Affordable all-encompassing CRM/practice mgmt software that aims to please

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

There are a few things that would be nice that I've seen in other softwares, such as progress bars for jobs, larger icons/colors for ease of viewability, sorting and filtering by various columns, on certain screens, auto-archive and/or auto-job create for a different pipeline when something reaches the end of one pipeline (such as prospects), but I think most of my requests/recommendations are already in their development pipeline, and if not, they've told me that I have good ideas & should request them in the customer feature request database. I have seen several features in there that already were just recently implemented, so they definitely aim to please & be the best in the biz. For now, I'm giving up a few "smoothness" or "viewability" or "nice to haves" for a very affordable all-around software that is going to make my life SO much easier, and if I end up hiring staff down the road, it should be pretty easy to roll them into the workflow. I also love that there is a client-side app, and that is one thing that made me choose them over a competitor

Pros

I like that it has incorporated e-sign with KBA available for a low price per signature. Also like that I can use one software to host my website, provide unlimited virtual drive storage, communicate with clients, make requests, assign staff and client tasks, and manage workflow. Customer Service is super friendly and really wants to please. I even heard from a CS rep in their chat AFTER HOURS when I wasn't expecting to hear back until the next day, just because he noticed the message was there. Overall, this is providing the things that were MUSTS for me (including a client app where they can communicate & upload requested docs). I can wait for the "like to haves."

Cons

Customer service hours are a bit short, but they are planning to increase them. A few features need improvement (but their programmers are adding things CONSTANTLY, usually based on user requests/upvotes). One frustrating thing (which I'm not sure ANY practice mgmt software can do at this point) is that you cannot integrate the in-system organizers with outside tax software, as needs to be done so clients can see their prior year data, so I'm having to create orgs from my tax software and upload them to Taxdome, and then notify clients to download & re-upload it. Not ideal, but not the worst thing, given that everything else functions pretty smoothly. The immediate programming they need to do in this regard is to allow on-screen pdf editing (which it does, for the client) and allow their system to create and save a new pdf directly from that, so the client doesn't have to manually download/save/upload it. Would also like a function so that when you send a client a task to do, and that task involves uploading a doc, then when they upload the doc in direct response to that message, it checks off their task as complete. Currently you can just set a task that they manually check off after uploading the requested doc. No firm-side app yet--but it's in development.

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

Didn't do enough workflow management, didn't allow for me to do all the features for full practice management & CRM or integrate with Drake Tax, didn't have a client app to improve communications & doc exchange, didn't have a virtual drive.

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

Affordability, CS responsiveness, Full-featured, In-app e-signatures w/low-cost KBA option, Client app, Works well for tax & accounting firms, Firm app coming soon. All inclusive.

Response from TaxDome

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your feedback. We recently released our Built-in PDF Editor. You may read more about it here: https://help.taxdome.com/article/397-built-in-pdf-editor

Deanna

Great product, Great Customer Service, and still finding hidden gems

Reviewed on 27/06/2021

My partner and I came from a tax firm that used a dated practice management workflow consisting of various disjointed software tools, spreadsheets, and humans. There were terrible inefficiencies resulting in considerable operating overhead (labor costs, software licenses, real estate, etc.) and a tremendous amount of stress during the tax season. Thanks for COVID, we decided that our new tax firm was going completely virtual with client appointments and we would leverage a practice management suite that helped us achieve efficiency, accuracy, and scale. We are leveraging a hosted version of our tax software eliminating the need for an IT person on-staff and TaxDome will allow us to streamline our workflow so we have no need for seasonal admin staffing. It's only been two weeks since we started working with TaxDome, but so far we are ecstatic and we see it helping us to fulfill our goals for the firm.

Pros

Coming from a quagmire of administrative staff, spreadsheets, and various software to manage our practice, TaxDome is an absolute godsend. We've only had the opportunity to work with it for a couple of weeks during the trial period, but we have been impressed with it beyond our expectations. We really like the variety of tools that made the import of contacts/docs expedient and reliable. The email sync feature is just amazing as it eliminates the noise of a junked-up inbox. The mobile app with built-in document scanner is so incredibly neat that I think our clients will easily get on-board with these changes in how we interact with them. I would be remiss if I didn't give the customer service team some love as well. I must've bugged them everyday about something. They were prompt, courteous, and helpful with each and every correspondence. Lastly, as we continue to learn the TaxDome platform, we're discovering new functionality we didn't expect but will help immensely. For example, one feature we just found was the ability to edit PDF documents within the TaxDome platform itself. Amazing!

Cons

Honestly, there hasn't been anything that I've experienced in the past 2 weeks that would warrant a complaint of any sort. We would've really liked to have a scheduling module in TaxDome where we can organize and schedule our reviews with clients, but not a deal breaker and as I understand it is in the works anyway.

Response from TaxDome

Hi Deanna,

Thank you for your feedback. We currently have the scheduling module planned in our feature request board. I have upvoted your firm to this request, feel free to add any comments or suggestions here- https://taxdome.canny.io/feature-requests/p/company-appointment-scheduling-with-popular-online-calendar-integration

Richard

Great Mid-cost CRM Option

Reviewed on 06/09/2021

The chief business problem we've solved is not having to search email accounts for files that clients emailed to us. That's a great feature.

We've also solved the issue of not having a CRM that required tremendous amounts of design and customization work. Our old CRM was great, but its care and feeding to make it do what we wanted it to do was a ton of work (both partner-level time and contractor time). TaxDome on the other hand was about 60 hours of partner-level time and some of their support time (which was free).

I'm really impressed by TaxDome's responsiveness to its user community and the speed and pace with which they are innovating their product and adding new features.

Pros

1. Inbox+ is a game changer as far as features go. That's the feature in TaxDome that automatically moves emails from clients to a firm-wide burndown list that allows you to check them off as you resolve items. That means you don't have to spend valuable time in tax season rummaging through your mailbox to sort the client emails out from the sales/junk emails, which is very handy.

2. The immediate copying of email attachments sent by clients into the clients' document field is incredibly helpful. We used to spend so much time shuffling client data from place to place when they would email it to us instead of using our portal. Now it's all automatically there for us to work on when we need to and we can flag particular items that we need the clients to add.

3. The monthly subscription feature is huge as it allows you to add seasonal staff on demand and only pay for them when you need them.

4. The support is exceptional. All of my experiences engaging with TaxDome's staff live (I haven't tried email/chat) have been exceptional. They're well trained and know their product. I have had to spend a lot of time with them (which is free) in order to fully deploy our implementation of TaxDome.

5. TaxDome is continuing to add to their product and innovate. The product lives and evolves from season to season. Many vendors in the tax industry make only tax-change-required updates to their products each season. TD has a well-communicated list of forthcoming priorities.

Cons

1. Integration is somewhat challenging because there isn't API integration with our tax software (CCH's ATX). There is pseudo integration in the form of direct desktop upload and print to TaxDome through a PDF printer (which is handy), but that only allows data to flow in one direction and when manually prompted. That said, the only competitive products that I reviewed that offered API integration were literally ten times the cost.

2. Telephone integration is simply absent from the product. We use ringcentral.com as our telephone provider and what we were accustomed to in our prior CRM was direct integration with RingCentral. That meant that every time a client called or we called a client it was logged in the system and we could attach notes to specific calls about what was discussed (or bill for the time) without separate action on our part (the same way that TaxDome handles Inbox+, which was very handy).

3. There is no good way to manage prospective leads in TaxDome. Interactions are defined as "accounts" (actual clients) and "contacts." Automated processes within the system cannot run on contacts.

4. Good at managing the existing practice, but it's poor at the sales activities that you need to grow.

5. The eSignature interface is somewhat clunky and doesn't compare favorably to non-tax eSignature products. It's just as good as any eSignature product I've ever seen in the tax industry.

Canopy Software

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

Unlike Zoho, TaxDome was specifically tailored to the tax industry. Zoho was a great product, but it took so much heavy lifting to get it customized for our needs because it was a general-purpose CRM that it was just simpler to switch to a tax-specific product.

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

Overall cost and a-la-carte pricing model.
Melissa
  • Industry: Accounting

Taking your tax practice into the future - virtually

Reviewed on 13/12/2021

Even after the trial period with TaxDome, I had a false idea it would be so easy to set it up and have it take over so much. Spoiler: You have to do a lot of setup to make it that way. BUT, once the setup is complete, it's personalized to your brand. And it speeds up the whole process. And the cost savings - excellent. As an industry, we drag our feet with new changes. Going virtual has had many challenges. But, TaxDome is doing an excellent job of managing some of the big ones.

Pros

What sold me on TaxDome initially, was the secure portal and the signature capability for my clients. When I ran the numbers (because if you're reading this, you have run the numbers) the savings was substantial. What has kept me on, is the fact that I can print my documents straight into my client folders - huge time saver. And the pipelines I'm learning to use. I can see how it will make things more efficient and at the same time, provide bettter service for my clients.

Cons

I feel like the there should be a better displayed to do list or calendar of due dates. I'm currently (but keep in mind, I'm still learning how to use pipelines and tasks and jobs) keeping a list of tasks and returns and projects on excel.

Response from TaxDome

Thank you very much, Melissa. Your feedback is much appreciated.

The setup can take some time, but to cut the time you would have to spend, you can always book an onboarding session, so that our team can assist you, and provide further explanations if needed.

For the to-do list and calendar, there already are feature requests for this on our Feature Request Board. Please feel free to upvote the ones you would like to have. Naturally, we can not develop all requested features, only the feature requests with the most votes get on our roadmap.

Christina
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

TaxDome appears to be everything we have been missing in our firm!

Reviewed on 19/05/2022

We are seeing that TaxDome will help remove some bottlenecks in our firm. I also have already seen in the short time that we have used TaxDome that they reinvest in their software and are constantly looking at community requests for upgrades and spend time to develop those things.
Their customer service seems to be top-notch so far, and they will have meetings with their users as much as needed.

Pros

We are transitioning to TaxDome from another software, and we love that TaxDome integrates our email into the client dashboard. No matter who received the email it will display for every team member and work is no longer going to be bottlenecked until the individual receiving the email can get to it.

We haven't been able to build out our workflows fully yet, but this is already a major upgrade from our current software.

Cons

Our prior software provided a discounted rate for contractors because they saw that seasonal contractors are not using it all day, every day. TaxDome doesn't have this feature making the use of it way more costly than other competitors.

Asana

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

The prior software just didn't fit our needs anymore as we were growing too fast in comparison to the features they have. The old software is a great option for those wishing to have a small firm or only have one or two people working within a firm. It just was no longer a fit for our needs as we grew.

Liscio

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

TaxDome was able to take our current CRM system (Liscio) that we paired with ClickUp for internal tasks and allows us to combine the two software platforms. This will help with efficiency within our firm. Also, TaxDome allows any team member to view communications that are sent to just my email and act on the requests. This is stress-relieving in itself, as everything was still falling onto just my shoulders to process, regardless of how much I tried to delegate to our team.

Response from TaxDome

Thank you for the feedback Christina. We appreciate it. As long as you have one annual subscription, you can subscribe to our monthly subscription for your seasonal members. Please see more details here - https://help.taxdome.com/article/187-taxdome-pricing-faq#1 . Please feel free to reach out to us again if you need further assistance. Our support is free and unlimited.

Aurielle

TaxDome Review

Reviewed on 11/07/2022

TaxDome has improved our overall client communication and organization. However, I believe we could further refine our processes and procedures with my previous suggestions.

Pros

I like the customizable pipelines and email templates and client management options.

Cons

All of the notifications during tax season produced too much clutter. I would like to be able to customize whether I see only emails to me in notifications or if I see emails to all colleagues. I would like to be able to pull a list of contacts AND households all in one list with email addresses included. I would like to be able to set up multiple cadences of tasks/automations within one pipleline. I would like to have sections of pipelines so that we can filter down by Tax pipelines/bookkeeping pipelines. I would like to be able to send recurring emails without having to set up an entire pipeline to do so. I would like to be able to customize invoice cadences on the invoice screen instead of having to stick to a particular date in the pipelines. I would like contracts to be more customizable similar to docusign.

Canopy and Intuit Practice Management

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

I was not with the company when Intuit Practice Management was used, but I recall complaints of too much clutter in the software and it not being useful enough to warrant paying for the service.

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

Pricing, ability to include multiple signatures on one contract, ability to send contracts to all clients at once.

Response from TaxDome

Thank you, Aurielle. Your feedback is valuable to us.

Please know that our development team is constantly working on the improvement of our software.
Your suggestions are precious to us, and we would like to inform that we have a board for sharing ideas and requesting features for our paying subscribers.
Please submit your requests to our Feature Request Board, and let them be upvoted. There are already some existing requests regarding the suggestions you made.

If you have any questions, or need assistance with anything else, please let us know. Our support is free and unlimited.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey
  • Industry: Accounting

Tax Dome helped us handle enough business to get our own office

Reviewed on 03/10/2022

Our overall experience with TD has been fantastic. We were able to triple our business within the first year of us using it.

Pros

There were three accountants (partners) when we first started this business and we were working out of bedrooms and coffee shops. The only reason that was happening was because we spent 70% of our time just tracking our servicing progress for each client under each different partner. Once we found Tax Dome and moved our client success processes from Trello, Clickup, excel, and other management softwares, we were able to handle significantly more clients with this time. Our absolute favorite feature is pipeline's and being able to automate engagement letters, send invoices, and organizers to collect data.

Cons

Features I least like that are within TaxDome is the inbox+ and template (& tag) management. Inbox+ won't show the correct preview text for a notification- meaning a notification would pop up saying a client messaged us, however, the notification was triggered because I myself sent a response message. And for notifications that are actually from clients messaging us will never be properly previewed in inbox+.

Template (& tag) management can be greatly improved. When I first started using TD, I created templates for EVERYTHING. Now I use perhaps half of them yet I have not deleted the ones that are not in use simply because I do not know what templates are actually being used in a pipeline.

Externally from TaxDome, my least favorite part of it is its inability to integrate with other software such as Zapier, google sheets, and more.

Response from TaxDome

Thank you, Jeffrey. Your feedback is valuable to us.

We are happy that TaxDome made the whole process easier for you and your partners. The pipelines save a lot of time and effort so that you can focus on new clients.
As for the notifications, you should receive notifications only for new messages and replies from clients, and the team members will get notifications for replies from the firm owner, but there should be no notifications for your own replies.
Please reach out to our support team so that they can check on this.
For the other parts you dislike, I would like to refer you to the Feature Request Board that we have for our paying subscribers where feature requests can be submitted, and existing requests can be upvoted. We would appreciate if you could share your ideas on how to improve.

If there is anything that we can assist you with, please let us know. We will be happy to do so.

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Accounting

Still learning and looking forward to upcoming features

Reviewed on 20/02/2023

So far, we are enjoying the software. We started to close to tax season, so we aren't implementing a lot of the features yet. Our biggest goal is to have a centralized location for everything instead of having multiple spreadsheets for practice management.

Pros

Tax Dome seems to have most of the features we were looking for and if they didn't have the feature it appears to be in the roadmap to add to the software. I really like the workflows, even though we have not implemented them yet.

Cons

It is not as customizable as I would like. I am hoping that this will improve as new features are added and updated. My biggest complaint is that the virtual drive cannot be synced in real time to a local drive, which does conflict with our ISP (Information Security Plan); we are copying and pasting into the local drive for now, but during tax season, especially, we have a lot of data that is changed constantly.

Intuit Practice Management

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

Costly and archaic. Working Papers also had more features than we were using so the cost did not make sense for our practice.

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

The cost was high with Intuit Practice Manager and the features we wanted were add-ons and would have been an additional cost.

Response from TaxDome

Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review, it is valuable to us.

It's great to hear that TaxDome has been able to provide you with many of the features you were looking for, and that the workflows are a useful feature for your practice.

Regarding the customization, we understand our users' desire for more flexibility, We would like you to know that our departments are working on improving the software all the time. We appreciate all ideas, and try to listen as much as possible to all suggestions that come from our subscribers. If you would like to contribute suggestions or ideas that you might think will improve your experience in using TaxDome, or if there is anything you would like to share with us, please do so by submitting a feature request. You can submit a request by clicking the Blue Question Mark icon in the top right corner, and selecting Feature Requests.

Dustin

Good Software

Reviewed on 17/05/2023

Good so far. Just ended our free trial.

Good so far. Just ended our free trial.

Pros

I like the pipelines and automation. That is going to help us streamline our processes.

Cons

I would really like a more robust time budgeting and time tracking function. I really want my employees to be able to see the expected time budget on each job and the progress towards that as work is performed so they can be aware of it as they work and for the Partners and Managers to be able to report on time v budget easily.And honestly, the name as a turn off. The name Tax Dome made us feel this was a solution for tax only. Tax is only 20% of our firms revenue so we almost didn't look at it.

Karbon

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

JetPack was no longer meeting our needs.

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

Honestly, neither product was perfect. Each had features unique to them that we loved and wished we could marry the two for the perfect solution. However, Tax Dome was closer to perfect and have a track record of pushing out features faster. So we felt in the long run TD will get to perfect faster.

Response from TaxDome

Hello Dustin!

Thank you for providing your feedback on your experience with TaxDome. We appreciate your positive remarks regarding our pipelines and automation features, which have helped streamline your processes. We understand the importance of efficiency and optimization in your day-to-day operations.

We also acknowledge your desire for a more robust time budgeting and tracking function. We understand the need for accurate time budgeting and the ability to track progress against those budgets in real-time. This information is crucial for employees to stay informed while working on projects and for partners and managers to report on time versus budget easily. We are constantly working on enhancing our platform, and your suggestion regarding time budgeting and tracking will be taken into serious consideration as we plan future updates and improvements.

Your input is invaluable to us as we strive to continuously improve our platform and meet the evolving needs of our users. We genuinely appreciate your candid feedback, and we encourage you to reach out to our support team with any further suggestions or concerns.

Have a great day!

Nicholas

Always Improving

Reviewed on 15/06/2023

Pros

The TaxDome team is always improving their product by taking customer input into account.

Cons

The dashboard could be more robust in regards to reporting features. I wish there was an area to track profitability of clients.

Canopy

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

We were using too many different softwares for workflow, collecting payment, e-signatures, etc.

Reasons for Switching to TaxDome

Pricing for Canopy was much too high. TaxDome also seemed to be more driven on tax services.

Response from TaxDome

Hello Nicholas,

Thank you for your review. It is valuable to us!

As you mentioned before, we would like you to know that our departments are working on improving the software all the time. We appreciate all ideas and try to listen as much as possible to all suggestions that come from our subscribers. If you would like to contribute suggestions or ideas that you might think will improve your experience in using TaxDome, or if there is anything you would like to share with us, please do so by submitting a feature request. You can submit a request by clicking the Blue Question Mark icon in the top right corner and selecting Feature Requests.

Have a wonderful day!

Zokpia
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

This will revolutionize my firm

Reviewed on 30/06/2023

There is a lot of set-up involved, and it can be daunting. However, I am eager for the day when I everything is set up and fine tuned to streamline my whole business.

Pros

I like the automation capabilities, and the fact that I can put a deliverable behind a paywall. Also, embedded organizers, engagements letters, and signatures...game changer. All at a reasonable price!

Cons

I wish I could have enable progress billing on an account. I require a 60% deposit from my clients to begin work, so it would nice if I can automate the 1st bill (60% of the total), then the 2nd bill (Remaining 40%).

Firm360 and Ignition

Reasons for Choosing TaxDome

Very little automations with task statuses, and none for email communication or requests for clients. The tracking process is so manual. Honestly, I could've used excel and only have a minor drop-off.

Jetpack Workflow

Response from TaxDome

Hello Zokpia

Thank you for your review. It is valuable to us!

We are happy that you like our software, and the diversity of features we have to offer.

We would like you to know that our departments are working on improving the software all the time. We appreciate all ideas and try to listen as much as possible to all suggestions that come from our subscribers. If you would like to contribute suggestions or ideas that you might think will improve your experience in using TaxDome, or if there is anything you would like to share with us, please do so by submitting a feature request. You can submit a request by clicking the Blue Question Mark icon in the top right corner and selecting Feature Requests.

Have a wonderful day!

Erica L
Erica L
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Best Bang For Your Buck

Reviewed on 15/11/2022

So far, this has been a great investment. The pricing for what you get is very doable, and the fact that I don't have to keep up with a million things anymore is definitely worth the price tag of the software!

Pros

It has all of the management tools you need to keep up with not only your tax clients but also your bookkeeping clients in one place. Before, I was using multiple systems and tools for each, but now I can pretty much use just TaxDome. It has all of the features, including messaging, a client portal, emails, and tasks, and automates just about all of it. You can get very detailed in all of the things you need to do within your practice all inside this software.

Cons

The setup process is very time-consuming, and getting the workflow automations into the system is a bit challenging. Also, clients have to sign up for an account which means that there is another username and password they must remember, which can also be challenging.

Response from TaxDome

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, Erica. We truly appreciate it.

We are happy to hear that TaxDome replaced a bunch of other applications. This is one of our main aims - to have everything in one place and be able to use only TaxDome along with your tax preparation software.

As you already mentioned, since TaxDome is an all-in-one software with many features, it may be a bit overwhelming at the beginning. We are happy to hear that you like our customer support team since we give our best to help our subscribers and make the learning process as easy and fast as possible.
We have free and unlimited support, and we highly recommend scheduling at least one session so that our representatives can walk you through, and assist with the setup. We also have a lot of learning resources like help articles, our TaxDome Youtube channel, TaxDome Academy, our FB Community, and more.

As for the clients, they can download the mobile app to their phones, and they can do all the necessary things from there as well. They would have to set up a 4-digit code and can log in without typing in the credentials every time.

If there is anything that you need assistance with, please let us know - we are always just a click away.

Brian
Brian

Great Product

Reviewed on 20/01/2023

Still working on deployment but overall I am very excited and grateful that this team exists. Our industry needs people that care about accountants as customers instead of profit vessels. This is the first company in a really long time that I feel actually gets it and is putting their customer before their profits. They are actually providing a ridiculous amount of value.

Pros

This system is packed with most things you need to run your practice. I have used most softwares.. They always seem to be missing something that their company things is little but is actually critical. like pdf scanner vs photo taking when getting documents in through the app, or having a recurring task auto populate monthly for something such as sales tax filing. It seems as though TaxDome really understands their customer and I think these other platforms better watch out..... This company is coming to eat their lunch.

Cons

Deployment for sure. A product as feature dense as taxdome is sure to come with a lenthy rollout but I think it can be done much better..first TaxDome gives you multiple ways to get things set up. good thing is it appeals to different peoples way of doing things i guess but the bad part is that it adds complexity to an already overwhelming deployment experience. While they have great customer service, there def isnt enough time. I think this is something the company is probably working on while they are scaling im sure.A suggestion would be to instead of sending a client a deployment checklist, send them to a path of videos walking them through a checklist that is on the same page.Have the chat direct them there until that process is finished then bombard them with messages.Have them do that to complete all of the basics than have a mandatory more than 45 minute customer service call.I know 45 minutes is already a long time however I think this platform requires someone dedicated for atleast a few hours to really work out the kinks .

Fabian

Feedback

Reviewed on 28/08/2023

Pros

I am just using TaxDome in free trial so I can't comment yet on the final implementation. Compared to other products on the market I like the technical support and unlimited document storage, which is usually not included in products from competitors. Also, the app looks more advanced compared to the others on the market.

Cons

Understanding how to setup / customize a pipeline to my needs wasn't very easy to understand in the beginning, even after I've done the same while testing other products on the market. Apparently, technical support is included so I'm sure with a little help, I will fully understand the system. I don't know if it's possible to adjust the layout of the portal (colors of the menu etc.) to match the company's CI, during the demo call I was told the portal is whitelabelled so I assume this will be possible somehow. If not, that would definitely be something I would appreciate in the future as the competitor's products offer that.In addition I would love TaxDome to issue QR payment slips directly when the invoicing is done through the portal. I understand it's possible to pay by credit card but that's not that common in Switzerland. Having an invoicing pipeline where at the end of the process (when the client is providing electronic signature for his tax return), the portal automatically generates an invoice and QR payment slip so clients can just scan the QR code on the screen with their mobile app, that would be a dream come true. To me, that would be a major advantage compared to other products on the market where it's a pain to use the portal's invoicing automation as a non-US company.

Response from TaxDome

Hello Fabian, thank you for sharing your insights on your TaxDome trial experience. We're pleased to hear that you appreciate our technical support and unlimited document storage. Your feedback on the initial challenges in setting up and customizing a pipeline is valuable, and we assure you that our technical support team is here to assist and guide you through any difficulties.
Your suggestion about issuing QR payment slips directly through the portal is fantastic, and we'll certainly consider this for future enhancements. We aim to make your experience seamless, especially in regions like Switzerland where QR payment slips are more common. Thank you for considering TaxDome, and we hope to continue exceeding your expectations. Have a nice day!