Patriot Payroll Reviews

Patriot Payroll

4.8 (3,388)
Save your time & money with affordable, easy-to-use software

(3,388)

Ann
Ann

2-fold Patriot fan!

Reviewed on 09/10/2022

Doing payroll on my own was very tough and caused a hectic day every week.

Doing payroll on my own was very tough and caused a hectic day every week.

Pros

As a New Englander Patriots is my football team, so why not Patriots Software! The name was the draw, the customer service is the prize to keep me.

Cons

Add an emergency contacts tab to the Employee section.

SAP Business One and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Quickbooks was too robust and hard to use on my own. Patriot Software is much better.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Ease of use. Customer service. Bookkeeping help.
JULIA

Above and beyond

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

Always a great experience. Patriot has never made a mistake and fixes mine quickly and easily. Has all the features of a great payroll service without the endless sales pitch, high prices, and untrue promises about great customer service.

Pros

Website is easy and clear to navigate. They are at the fraction of the price of the more well know payroll services. Their customer service is excellent and always available during business hours. Allow you to file on your own for less.

Cons

The direct deposit could be faster but not at all a game changer for us.

Doreen

No direct communications from the Tax Team results in delays

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

My client had an issue with the state quarterly forms. Although the SUTA taxes were remitted by Patriot , none of the quarterly returns were filed for the last 5 quarters. After sorting out an issue with the state exemption status, a request was made several times for Patriot to file the late returns. It's been 26 days and still no returns filed. You are not able to speak with the "tax team" or receive any communications from the tax department. All emails, chats and phone calls go thru a general support team. The latest email I received stated the filing of the forms are a "first come, first serve basis". Is Patriot not able to keep up with timely filings for all customers? The support ticket has been opened for over 26 days. I'm wondering if Patriot uses an outside service for tax filing?

Pros

Ease of use, simple interface, reports,

Cons

Tax filings, lack of email notifications

Gusto

cheap.

Response from Patriot Software

Doreen, Patriot is 100% supported in-house in the USA. Our tax team is available by email or phone option 4. It looks like there was some back and forth about getting the settings and exemptions correct all the way up to last week. Our team is working on your request, we assure you. Please feel free to call and speak with our tax team at any time.

LaDonna

Great Company & Products

Reviewed on 22/01/2024

A GREAT EXPERIENCE! Easy, can process payroll from anywhere, customer service is top notch!

Pros

The ease of setting up a company and employees was great. It's very easy to process a payroll and if there are any issues, the customer service team is very responsive! The cost of using Patriot is way more affordable than the prior company we were using. Never have regretted the change!

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like other than having a quick way to send reports to CPA. Not an issue, just print reports.

Sage Accounting

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

The cost!!! The price of this software is so much more affordable than Quickbooks and these days, money is everything.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Affordability and ease. The customer service team was very helpful in answering all of my questions immediately and I didn't have to wait around for someone to get back to me.
Tobias
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Patriot Payroll Review

Reviewed on 04/03/2024

After years of use, we have no issues, and they provide good customer service based in the USA.

Pros

Patriot is easy to use and has good customer service.

Cons

Patriot doesn't have geolocation to workers to check in/out.

Alisha

They're the best!

Reviewed on 27/03/2024

Pros

I have tried other software and always come back to patriot software. I have absolutely no complaints. Their software is easy to use and their customer service couldn't be any better. I have never waited on hold with them and they always give me the answer simply.

Cons

I have no complaints with patriot software.

Von
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reduced Stress Payroll

Reviewed on 27/03/2024

So far, so good. The times I needed assistance, Patriot has been very responsive, thorough and patient. Patience is important.

Pros

Patriot will file and fund all tax entities in a timely manner. Plus do all of the payroll calculations. Our employees like the direct deposit. Decades ago, with another business, I had to do all payroll and tax filings manually. Having a service like this would have freed up hours upon hours of time.

Cons

Setting up the state accounts was a bit tricky, but that's not Patriot's fault.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Intuit seemed arrogant. They didn't show up to the scheduled meeting and didn't contact me again until three days after the missed meeting. That turned out to be a blessing and I found Patriot in the gap time.
Greg

Laboratory Director

Reviewed on 04/03/2024

Easy to use. Customer support was always there when needed which was seldom.

Easy to use. Customer support was always there when needed which was seldom.

Pros

It's so easy to use once you get it figured out...which only took about 15 minutes.

Cons

In our case there weren't any dislikes of the software.

Mya
  • Industry: Facilities Services

I’ve been very pleased!

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

I’ve been pleased and the customer service of there have been issues or questions has been over the top helpful. Every time I’ve had to call it’s been prompt service and super helpful.

Pros

The easy of use and the fast and knowledgeable customer service.

Cons

Getting use to a new software. However it’s been great and super easy to figure out.

Anthony
  • Industry: Mental Health Care
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great product at a great value

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Pros

Ease of use, great product support and cost.

Cons

No Cons come to mind, the transition to Patriot has been seamless for our business.

BENJAMIN

Game Changer For Us

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Pros

We like that we can white label the product. I am big in branding, so beng able to have this as white label, for me, is excellent. The software is easy to use, easy to onboard. The portal works great. We charge our customers, so being a royalty member with multiple clients, I get a good rate, and can always make money doing payroll. Also, it is residual, I always make the difference between what I charge and what I pay. They more clients I get, the less I pay, so the more i make

Cons

There are some features that I wish they had. Auto running payroll for companies that everyone is on salary. Also for sending out 401k, pension, etc, if they did that for us

Gusto

Cost. Plus ADP only pays for 1 year. Then you make nothing from them

RUN Powered by ADP

White labeling Cost The staff
Peggy
  • Industry: Accounting

Why didn't I try this software sooner

Reviewed on 02/08/2022

I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner. Great support that is US based and I'm treated very professionally.

Pros

I had heard it was complicated to set up, but once I had everything in I realized that was a good thing. Payroll has gotten so much more complicated over the years, to have all the small parts done right was a work saver. I wasn't having to create multiple work-arounds and spend extra time double checking. The non-accountant business owner, should consider hiring someone for a short time, get it set up right, then sit back and let the program do it magic.

Cons

Because I prepare the payroll tax filings outside of Patriot I wish there was a simple report that listed the employee name, hours, gross, and full listing of SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. Currently I have to dig through the employees' records and manually write down the SS#. I know a lot of this is ID thief protection. But I have an IRS Tax Preparer Certification and they required me to be finger printed and back ground checked.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I was tired of being treated like a child. I do several Washington State payroll filings and like lots of other states they have quirky rules. I was having to amended too many of their filings. I was tired of cursing at the computer screen. I didn't like the data mining and the slow loading while they got all their mining software in place. On an annual basis I was paying more for junk than I was paying for my Wolter Kluwer/CCH Small Firm Services tax preparation software.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Once I tired it I was super excited about all that it did. The support was very available and both talked me through an issue and provided me with written instructions via email.
Shana

Patriot Software is the way to go!

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

My experience has been wonderful overall with Patriot Payroll. I am able to process my payroll easily and efficiently. I haven't needed external assistance because the system is so user-friendly that I am able to handle all of my needs on my own.

Pros

Patriot Software Payroll is very easy to use! It is very simple to make any adjustments to the employee files and also to print off any necessary reports. I can always find what I am looking for!

Cons

The only feature that I find frustrating, is when I am inputting the information for payroll and then I need to back out of the screen to update an employee file for whatever reason and all of my information that I have entered has to be deleted. It would be better if the information was able to be saved and then edited later, if needed. It is frustrating when you need to make one small change to one employee file and therefore you lose ALL of the input you put in for the other employees and have to re-enter all of the information.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Paychex was too expensive and was not very user friendly.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot Payroll appeared more simple and more appropriate for my business needs.
Beth
  • Industry: Consumer Services

The best value in payroll services

Reviewed on 21/09/2023

I have used Patriot in different settings for over 5 years, and have had no issues. They are the best bang for the buck in payroll processing, and while other companies are outsourcing their customer service (making it essentially worthless), Patriot keeps it US-based, which makes getting help a breeze.

Pros

The best things about Patriot are (1) the customer service - always pleasant and get our answers easily, (2) the price - it really can't be beat for full service payroll, and (3) ease of use - their web portal is very easy to use and navigate.

Cons

I do wish there was an actual app for mobile phones to more easily run payroll that way. Going through a browser on a phone can sometimes be clunky. I would like to see more options for customizable payroll reports.

Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Better price, better functionality.

OnPay

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Better pricing, didn't have a bunch of features we don't need.
John
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Patriot Payroll Rocks!

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Saving time and eliminating the risk and liability of missing deadlines for filing are the biggest problems I'm solving. I spend 10 minutes max every two weeks on payroll.

Pros

Having tried filing payrolls documents myself, I found it to be a nightmare of paperwork, made that much more difficult by the State of Maryland, who seems to thrive on making things complicated. Enter Patriot Payroll to the rescue! They make payroll easy and even stay on top of the ever changing requirements doled out by the State. A huge timesaver!

Cons

As a sole proprietorship, I don't have a lot of super complicated payroll tasks, so I likely don't take advantage of the many features. I can't think of anything that I'm lacking as it takes care of 401k, taxes, and all of the straightforward payroll items I need.

QuickBooks Payroll and Wave

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Wave wouldn't file in my state, making Patriot the clear winner.

Wave
Velda
  • Industry: Building Materials

Best Payroll System out there

Reviewed on 21/12/2023

My overall experience since day one with Patriot has been very positive and if i have any problems with any employment agencies, they handle them right away and i have no more worry and fear of forgetting things. I'd recommend Patriot to any small or large business for maintaining their payroll needs.

Pros

I love Patriot Payroll because it is very easy to use and to understand. I had a hard time keeping up with all the necessary paperwork monthly and quarterly for tax purposes and Patriot took that worry away from me and I'm forever grateful!

Cons

I can't find anything, yet, that I do not like about Patriot.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

QB did not do as much regarding taxes that Patriot does for us. Patriot is so much better than QB for my needs.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Not sure, it just felt like a better program.
Luke

Great Product For Accountant Users & Business Owners

Reviewed on 08/01/2021

Overall a great experience and will continue to use in the future. It gets the job done and it definitely feels like the company continues to grow and expand the product, always in positive directions.

Pros

Pleasant to look at and navigate the UI; has an intuitive design that usually allows one to figure things out quickly; the reports are top notch; and integrates with QBO & XERO. Also, the Advisor program for accountants is intriguing and definitely a plus, though I haven't capitalized on that quite yet.

Cons

At times, certain functions and the design seem basic and possibly below par than the competition in terms of features and additional (though not essential) tools or options. But I'm ok with this since the product does everything I need it to do.

QuickBooks Payroll, OnPay and Gusto

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price/cost and the negative corporate vibes displayed by Intuit.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Similar to above- Price/cost and the negative corporate vibes displayed by Intuit.
Jennifer

Best Customer Service!

Reviewed on 13/01/2021

Patriot provides a low-cost comprehensive payroll program that offers many of the features and benefits found in higher priced software. The customer service and support I have received when contacting the company is the best of any software we use.

Pros

Patriot is an easy to use, basic payroll program that allows the user to customize many aspects of their payroll processing. The customer service and support at Patriot are top notch!

Cons

I would appreciate more comprehensive reporting and the ability to somewhat customize report layouts to present the relevant information for the end user.

Paycom, Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Xero phased out US payroll.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot offered the lowest cost solution for our needs with all of the features. I called and spoke with a representative from each company prior to implementing set-up and was impressed with the representative from Patriot compared with the other companies.
Elizabeth
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great payroll software!

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

Pros

I was able to scale up my needs without changing platforms or disrutping my currrent processes. When I hired one employee I was comfortable doing my own tax filings and paying taxes myself--Payroll ran the calcuations for me and I did the rest. As I scaled up, it made more sense to let someone else do the filing and tax payments for me so I switched over to full service payroll. It was a seamless transition and has been easy to manage. I still have plenty of control but know that deadlines are met and payments are made. I also really like that I'm not paying for services I don't need or don't care about.

Cons

It is occasionally difficult to figure out how to run reports to get certain information. In time, I've learned my way around but it doesn't always feel intuitive. However, the customer service when I do get stuck has been great! It is usually a longish wait on the phone but they are efficient and very helpful once I do get in touch.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Pricing and flexibility to only pay for what I need. It has turned out to be as powerful as I can imagine needing and I am very happy with my decision!
Geoffrey
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Kicks Qickbooks aside for the value

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

It has been great , and the value and ease of access are phenomenal.

It has been great , and the value and ease of access are phenomenal.

Pros

First of all, very affordable. Next, it is very easy to run payroll, the dates are already selected. I just put in the number of hours and download the pay stubs. The reports are very easy to use as well and come in extremely handy when paying taxes, especially at the end of the year!

Cons

I was going to say nothing until recently. A new employee started and she is working low hours however the software was not taking out a federal income tax for her. I realize that is a precaution against someone not being liable if they do not make enough, but it is a problem when the company owes monthly federal payments and the system does not accept a $0.00 when the obvious other taxes are being paid. I'm actually going to have to call customer service soon...

Response from Patriot Software

Hi Geoffrey. The software will calculate federal withholding based on the IRS tax tables for this year using payrate, pay frequency and status. If the employee owes no federal taxes due to low income on a payroll, the software will report the taxable wages AND the amount of taxes that were collected and deposited. In this case the taxes would be reported as zero. Please do reach out to our helpful support team with any questions!

Cameron
  • Industry: Events Services

Easy to use and accurate

Reviewed on 05/01/2021

Pros

Payroll is easy. It takes just a few minutes and there are no hassles.

Cons

If you start a payroll, you can't go back and edit employee information without cancelling the payroll and starting over. Also, if you have some employees on direct deposit and others on paper checks, you have to set the pay date based on the constraints of direct deposit. You can't submit the direct deposit for Friday payment, and allow paper check employees to pick-up their checks as soon as they are printed. The checks will be post-dated.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Better full service payroll system

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot was cheaper than the other options at the time, but the price has increased since then so it is now slightly higher, but the ease of use made us decide that it was worth the little bit more we are paying.
Steve
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment
  • Used for 2+ years

Patriot Payroll, Perfect for small business's

Reviewed on 05/01/2021

Anyting you need to do for payroll, taxes, tax filing, W2's etc, it's all there. At the end of the year, print out your payroll and tax papers, give them to your tax preparer and your done. Literally in 10 minutes (including print time) your paperwork is done. They do it all for you!

Pros

When joining Patriot Payroll, I was sceptical about the cost and functionality. I have used 3 "big name" companies, and was always in disagreement about their products, pricing and what they actually did. When you need payroll, it was one cost, then if you needed reports, tax payments, and many other things, the costs just kept going up. Those costs avergaed $150 a month. Now I see why they are multi million dollar companies. As a small business owner, the bottom line is very thin and we always have to be aware in the cost for any service. When I started Patriot Payroll, I was eager to see if they in fact were a true value company, and in the first 6 months, it paid for itself. I am super happy as a customer.

For one low price, they help you set-up your employee base, salaries or hourly wages, tax numbers, unemployment taxes and more. When you run a payroll, it really only takes me 3 minutes to complete one. Then when the taxes are paid, Patriot also does that and more. They process and send out my quarterly papers and pay all my taxes after linking to my bank. If you need any reports, they are at your fingertips. No longer paying another company extra when you need to get a duplicate employee payroll report. If your stuck and have no where to go, you call their customer service line or email them and within minutes you have your answer.

I have referred many people to this company and for good reason. They are great! The name says it all. Patriot.

Cons

None that I can think of, and after many years of using, that's awesome!

Bruce
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Payroll done easy.

Reviewed on 01/11/2021

The problem I am solving was my old CPA who did my payroll, wasn't always doing it right or sending in reports done right or ontime. I didn't know anything about it. He sent me the amount each week to pay and I just wrote the check. Finally got audited ( just the payroll ) and he was of no help. So I decided to do it myself. That was a nightmare. The IRS was no help, anything they had to teach you how to do payroll, assumed you already knew how and just showed you how to fill out the forms, but you had to know which form. I stumbled upon Patriot, signed up and it has been pretty smooth sailing for years.

Pros

I went from paying my CPA to do my payroll and found out years into it, he wasn't always correct. I knew nothing about it, nor what he was doing wrong, nor how to fix it. And I don't think he did either. It was a huge pain in the .... A friend who is a big time corporate CPA, who says I'm too small for his company, told me about online payrolls, mentioned a name or two, so I investigated. Patriot was not one of the ones he mentioned. I don't remember where I first heard about them, but immediately liked them because they have different levels of how much service they provided. I wasn't looking for someone to do everything, I still wanted to be in the loop of knowing what is being done and when. They offer several plans and the one I use is perfect.

Cons

Nothing really. But I have never done payroll before using Patriot, nor have I ever used another software, so I don't have any experience to compare it to. But I have done my payroll to the satisfaction of the governments and would not have been able to with out Patriot. And whenever something came up that I didn't know, they were there to explain/guide me through it.

Tony
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

Reviewed on 16/02/2018

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Response from Patriot Software

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)

Melanie
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

This is the only payroll software I've ever used and the only one I ever plan to use

Reviewed on 13/08/2021

I love how hands off and easy to use it is. I run payroll weekly and it takes me about 5 minutes total. It's completely seamless and efficient!

Pros

When I signed up for Patriot (YEARS ago!) I wanted something that was user friendly, easy to navigate and had an awesome customer service team behind it. I'm an entrepreneur; not an accountant and I wanted a company that would help whenever I had tax related questions. Patriot has fit the bill for all of that.

Cons

The only thing that has been an issue is there have been two times in the last year in which my employees have woken up Friday morning and not had their direct deposit paychecks in their bank account. Given the stressful times of COVID this has caused them (mainly their spouses!) stress wondering where their paychecks have been. Luckily both times I've gotten on chat with Patriot and they've admitted the problem with their bank and have promised the direct deposits would be in by EOD. And they have been. I do hope they can get those kinks worked out bc no one likes to wake up and not have their owed money in their bank accounts. But for what it's worth... the communication about it is AMAZING and most of the time that is more important than anything else.

Cost and ease of use.