Quickbooks Online

3.9/5

4916 Reviews for UK Users

Lisa S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Accounting is no Longer a Headache!

Reviewed on 29/03/2022

Super easy to set up, add integrations, customize, import and export, and grant accessibility to my accountant. Should I choose to - I can send estimates and invoices directly from here. Quickbooks makes a tedious task way less tedious and stressful.

Pros

Ease of Use, Customizable, Access for my Accountant, Importing of Accounts. Overall easy plug and play use-ability. Has made tax time way less stressful!

Cons

honestly, no complains as of yet. I have not had anything to complain about.

Krishna L.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

I like how easily reports can be customized

Reviewed on 06/05/2022

The system is simple to learn and utilize. Helps me prepare for tax season all year long so that I don't have to worry about anything. An emphasis is placed on UI and user experience. It's clear to see that they've done so. Because we don't utilize all of the tools, there might be a lot of clutter in our workspaces.

Pros

In order to handle my clients' businesses, I use Quickbooks Online, a powerful accounting program. In addition to project accounting, we can handle receivables and payables, set up rules for posting to cut down on time for posting (which equals cheaper accounting costs!), and quickly produce useful reports with this software.

Cons

I'd want to be able to create bespoke purchase orders with additional signatures, but I'm not able to do so at the moment. The ability to perform genuine bank reconciliations from within the program would be an added bonus. The process of comparing receipts to invoices is likewise time-consuming.

Matt A.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Horrible Customer Service will not correct Emergency Problems 24/7 or Timely

Reviewed on 03/04/2022

HORRIBLE !!!! Account has been locked for 3 days rendering it useless. I use it for invoicing and payroll. Payroll was input on Thursday and approved. Not only did it not process Friday but my whole company is on lockdown due to Fraud Prevention.??????? I have made 3 calls to customer service to no avail. Cannot do any bookkeeping or payroll for my business and now there is no customer service for an emergency issue on the weekend. I am told a ticket has been opened and will be addressed within 2 days, but I've already been down 3 days. This is extremely unprofessional and unacceptable from the company that is supposed to have your books. IF my account is not fully restored by tomorrow, I will be ditching Quickbooks indefinitely for a more reliable product that actually has 24/7 full support in an emergency.

Pros

Billing is easy and payroll was easy to setup. Only lately has it been proven to be a problem

Cons

Response from Intuit

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with the payroll and your interaction with support. We know how vital it is to have payroll up and running. If you haven't heard back from an agent on your case please don't hesitate to reach out to the Payroll Team directly. (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/payroll-processes/contact-payroll-support/L08Yi5p07_US_en_US) Wishing you the best. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Sarah W.

Essential Do-It-All Software

Reviewed on 28/04/2022

I honestly couldn’t be happier. Never thought I could come to enjoy keeping the books, but with QBO, I do. And the more I learn, the more I like. We’re all volunteers, with no professional accounting skills, at the non-profit I help administer. So QBO is a very cost-effective, efficient way for us to generate everything we need, while allowing for growth. I haven’t even begun to use the software to its full potential. Very satisfied here!

Pros

We use QBO to run our small, all volunteer non-profit. So the things that matter the most to me are the ease of use with little to no training, being able to sync bank feeds to speed up the process, generating easy to read and understand reports, online access so we can keep the books anytime, from anywhere…the list is endless. I’ve also been thrilled with the extensive help library, the how-to videos, and the awesome customer support. I have no accounting or bookkeeping training and yet, thanks to QBO, I’m able to do everything we need to have accurate P & L reports, Balance Sheets and file our 990, as well as see which programs are costing and generating the most. I’m really grateful QBO exists.

Cons

My main issue so far has been the trouble linking little known online savings account to our bank feed. And that the platform is a bit glitchy when I access on my tablet. But Customer Support has told me they’re working on both those issues, so not a big deal.

Deborah S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Like QB - once you get used to it!

Reviewed on 28/04/2022

It's terrific - for the price, I don't think you can match the feature, functionality, robustness, and each of use.

Pros

QB is a very robust account software that helps me run the business for my clients. We can set up project accounting, manage receivables and payables, set up rules for posting to cut down time for posting (equaling lower accounting fees!), and easily generate meaningful reports.

Cons

I would love to be able to better customize the forms - trying right now to set up custom PO's for more signatures but can't. Would also like to be able to run true bank reconciliations within the software. Matching receipts to invoices is also somewhat burdensome.

Steve S.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Solid Product

Reviewed on 15/04/2022

My overall experience with Quickbooks Online has been a good one, and I would recommend the product, but I would recommend someone to take their time when getting set up and getting started or to work with an accountant to get started, also pay attention to which version you need and not try to pay for too much at first. It's nice to have tasks automated, but you don't necessarily need all of the fancy features that you will never use.

Pros

This is a good product and very strong for what it is meant for. This allows users to keep all of their financial information, bank accounts, expenses, and invoices organized in one place, and also allows them to keep their accounts payable tracked and automated without having to enter them manually each time.

Cons

For new users this system can be a little confusing and overwhelming to set up and use. I have had some issues, especially when transferring and downgrading to a smaller version. When dealing with customer service it can be very frustrating as it felt like not every customer service rep was on the same page, some very helpful, others felt like they were trying to upsell me on products, and others were simply listening and understanding what I had to say, but didn't offer much of a solution. In each instance they were friendly, but it was still frustrating.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

I chose Quickbooks because I was the most familiar with them, my accountant recommended the product for ease of use, and also because she would be able to log-in as a user and review my information come tax time, which is nice.
Stephen H.
  • Industry: Accounting

QuickBooks Online - Is It Worth The Money?

Reviewed on 14/05/2022

I was having difficulty keeping track of where everything was being saved. With Quickbooks, it was very easy to keep track of everything. It was like having a system set up for me. I can now run weekly and monthly reports so I can keep track of where all the money is going.

Pros

I found QuickBooks very easy to use.
It is perfect for people new to the business as well as more experienced users.
The system is very instinctive.
There is no "What Do I Do Now?"
It is easy to monitor your cash flow, which is a very important part of any business.
It is simple to collate and export reports.
You can organize income and expenses into the correct tax categories.

Cons

There were a few features I did not like.
These include:
Needing someone in the company with knowledge of accounting.
Some Training might be required if they have never used this sort of software before.

Nathan J.

Crazy Expensive, Not Supported by Bank

Reviewed on 07/04/2022

QuickBooks is what I consider a necessary evil. Other accounting packages are far more expensive for similar core functionality and are not as supported by all the other business processes I have.

Pros

I like that I can actually go back and edit mistakes I make rather than having to delete everything and rebuild my books if I forgot to enter sales tax. I like that it generally integrates with other partners.

Cons

$30/mo is crazy expensive for a business that is just starting out especially when the more useful features like client invoicing or payroll automation are additional charges. The API is lacking (for example I want to create a bill, but I can't enter sales tax as a separate item). More annoyingly, the OFX partner does not support my Kabbage checking account making the software even less of a value for my money.

Pamela C.
  • Industry: Alternative Dispute Resolution

Quickbooks is QUICK! It really saves me time.

Reviewed on 03/05/2022

Pros

I don't have to travel or mail drives to my accountant, I can just have him log in and see what I'm doing. I LOVE that!

Cons

It's expensive for as few of the features that I use.

Mariah J.

Quickbooks online for rental property expense & income tracking

Reviewed on 09/04/2022

Overall this is a good value for the money and will save time in the long run. I recommend it for rental property owners.

Pros

I like the mileage feature, although it has a little room for improvement. It makes it easy to track income and expenses by category and simplifies taxes.

Cons

The mileage feature is difficult to use on the app. The round trip feature is only available on the web.

Jewel Y.
  • Industry: Machinery

Very user friendly and has everything in one place

Reviewed on 16/03/2022

My overall experience has been a great experience. I have been using it for years.

Pros

Quickbooks Online is very easy to use and has everything you need in one place. It keeps the flow of the business finances running smoothly. The invoicing, tracking of assets and expenses, providing reports, etc are all extremely easy to use and find and connect in a very simple way.

Cons

There is nothing at this time that I like least about this software. It is much better than most bookkeeping programs I have used.

FreshBooks, Total Office Manager and Xero

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Each one of the above programs has its benefits and had a lot of what Quickbooks offer, but quickbooks is much simpler to use and has the exact amount of what is needed to run the business. A program like "Total Office Manager", it is extremely complex and not as user friendly. A program like Xero wasn't as detailed as Quickbooks. Etc.
Angela B.

On the expensive side for small entrepreneurs

Reviewed on 27/01/2022

Overall, Quickbooks Online had the items I needed, but their recent software and price changes have pushed me into a version that lacks what I need and leaves me with unnecessary, bloated accessories. There aren't many options out there that sync as well with online shops. QBO should consider allowing a small inventory and budgeting option for the less expensive versions and listen to their customer's concerns more.

Pros

I appreciate the easy connectivity with apps so I can connect my e-commerce shop. The layout makes the difficult task of financial management not seem so overwhelming. Reconciling with my banks is convenient and matches my transactions well. I also depended on it to aid me in tracking sales tax.

Cons

The software's selection of options with each plan is ridiculous. I started with the Plus version to keep track of a small amount of inventory, although most of the products I sell are POD. I also appreciated the budgeting aspect. They started adding extras such as mile-tracking, and now they sync with Mailchimp, but I already have a cheaper mile-tracking app for my business and sync with Mailchimp through my website. During the pandemic, they increased their prices (horrible timing for small businesses) and forced me to scale down to the Simple Start version. This version doesn't have the inventory function or budgeting (something that should be standard across the board).

To make matters worse, for the six years that I have been using the program, they have yet to fix an issue with the sales tax part, specifically modifying the start of a sales tax calendar. This issue has caused headaches for me every year, and no one will address it when I, and many others, bring it up.

Zoho Books, FreshBooks and Xero
Cheryl S.

QuickBooks Online: Making Tax Tracking Easier for Sole Proprietors

Reviewed on 27/01/2022

Overall I have been happy with Quickbooks Online. Quite simply, it does what I need it to do. Track sales and expenses in a way I can easily pull data by varying parameters as needed.

Pros

I like that Quickbooks has an expense tracker that is easy to use and has the categories cleanly divided up based on tax filing needs. The app component of this is my favorite as I can photo a receipt and input it on the go (although I mostly do stuff online). The ability to track service based sales is also pretty straightforward and easy to use. Those are the main features I bought this for and they do the job.

Cons

Quickbooks online (I have the Simple Start version) is crazy expensive for someone running a sole proprietor part time business. And it just went up in cost recently. The expense is because it has to be paid for monthly (or a small discount if paying yearly all at once). I really dislike the fact that most software programs have gone this route. I am not a large or even full time business that can hack all these monthly software expenses we have. But I want the ability to use it where-ever and not be tied to one device so I have to pay monthly. The other thing I really dislike again probably comes back to price. I want the ability to have it autopopulate expenses each month so I am not constantly having to enter them. But I can only do that if I pay MORE for a package at a higher price point. Given the average user will have monthly expenses, this should be part of every plan. Lastly, there needs to be a way to make this software HIPAA compliant so those of us in healthcare using it can use it for things like invoicing and taking payments.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Because feedback from people who had tried both indicated that Quickbooks was the way to go.
  • Industry: Accounting

Great accounting software for small & large businesses

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

I use QBO for my own tax practice bookkeeping as well as for my clients. I use it daily to keep up with my firm and my clients. We all use the bank feed to facilitate automatic entry of as much data as possible.

Pros

QBO allows users to easily enter their financial transactions. It even has the capability to enter most transactions for the user from the bank feed. You can let QBO import your bank activity and use rules that you set up to code the transactions appropriately. It makes reconciling your bank statement a complete breeze!

Cons

There are some issues with payroll that can only be corrected by calling in to Customer Support. I find this annoying when I personally know and understand how the correction needs to be made. I do, however, understand that not everyone understands the ramifications of making corrections.

Terry R.

Accounting at your fingertips anywere

Reviewed on 06/11/2021

My experience with Quickbooks online has been mostly positive. I find the best thing is that I can just pull up the software on the web, or in the app on my phone and take care of business while I am out on the road doing service calls.

Pros

I like that I can access my information while I am out on the road. It's also a bonus that it integrates with my ticking software so that I can just export the information from that and it syncs right into Quickbooks online. I also depend on the ability to input and scan expense receipts so that I don't have to do it when I get home.

Cons

The price is a little hard to swallow when coming from the desktop version of Quickbooks for so many years. Also there are some features that is in the Desktop version that hasn't been implemented yet.

FreshBooks and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

I made the switch to Quickbooks online to help with not having to come back to the office after a long day and still have to input stuff into the desktop software. Now I can just go home with peace that the information is already there.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

I chose Quickbooks Online over the alternatives because it was supported by my other software as well as I was familiar with Quickbooks desktop already.

Response from Intuit

Hey there, Terry!

We deeply appreciate you taking the time to write your review, and we're so glad to hear that transitioning to QuickBooks Online has helped simplify your daily work-flow!

If you need anything or have questions in the future, feel free to get in touch through the Help (?) icon in-account. You can also reach out through our QB Community: (quickbooks.intuit.com/community) Or on our Social Media pages for support as well!

All the best!

-Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Upgraded from Tally to QBO for simple and ease of use software

Reviewed on 10/10/2021

My overall experience with QuickBooks online has been amazing. I have used to desktop version before and found the online version more easy and simple to use. It has served my purpose in a great way over these years. The readily available reports helps my decision making for business. As compared to other options I found QuickBooks Online to be cheaper. We are trying to incorporate a construction company in quickbooks now. We hope it serves our purpose for this company as well now.

Pros

It is very simple to use overall. I like that i can check and work from any computer or cell phone as well. I love direct access to the numbers, easily available reports. It is great for auto billing direct from the software itself. The best part is integration with the bank account. I do not have to manually review expenses and add it.

Cons

The QBO is slow to load pages and that can be irritating at times. I initially thought that it was my internet connection but no that is not the case. While you are allowed to do a journal entry with a supplier name you cannot enter a negative invoice. There can be a greater variety in invoice format selection. A tad bit expensive.

FreshBooks and Focus X

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

We wanted to increase automation and reduce manual tasks.

TallyPrime

Pricing and Automation
Chris M.

Upgraded from Quickbooks Desktop to Save Time Every Month

Reviewed on 27/09/2021

It's been very simple to use overall. I enjoy being able to work on or books from any computer or even a cell phone. Previously I could only access our bookkeeping records by physically going into our office.

Pros

The best part of Quickbooks Online is its integration with our business bank account. Prior to QB Online we used QB desktop. We would have to manually review expenses and bank accounts to make sure everything was entered into Quickbooks correctly and would constantly come across discrepancies due to data entry errors. Now that we use Quickbooks online, we have it integrated with our business account and simply identify what category each expense belongs to. It's also easy to set a "rule" for certain expenses (for example recurring monthly charges) to automatically categorize these every month. This has saved us many hours of data entry every month which is very valuable for a small business.

Cons

It takes a little time to get used to some of the changes from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks online. For instance, I have a hard time figuring out where to make manual journal entries and have to use Google to figure it out. Also, the price can be significantly higher than the desktop version depending on how you use it. Currently a desktop version for my needs without a subscription can be bought for $399. In the past I have been able to use a desktop version for several years. For example, when I switched from Desktop to QB online in early 2021, I was still succesfully using a 2018 vesrion of QB Desktop. Currently I am paying $300 every year for the online version.

Breanna D.
  • Industry: Accounting

Best for those not trained in accounting

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

QBO is great because it allows our clients access to their books any time, anywhere. We are finding this is increasingly important to our clients. It also allows clients to do their own invoicing and receive payments themselves in the same system we are using for their bookkeeping. This product really is the future of bookkeeping.

Pros

Far and away the best feature of this software is that it's cloud based. So many clients want to be able to see their books from anywhere, at any time, on any device. If you are using this for a small business and are not trained in bookkeeping/accounting, this is the easiest bookkeeping software on the market.

Cons

If you are a trained bookkeeper/accountant you will likely be disappointed that it's not as flexible as Sage 50. They payroll module is terrible unless you have simple payroll with no deductions or special pay circumstances. While you can do a journal entry with a supplier name, you can't enter a negative invoice. They've updated with a credit card credit that allows you to enter a negative credit card transaction but it's limited to credit card transactions only.

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

QBO is far more advanced than the Sage cloud product. My preference would be Sage 50 but because this is cloud based, it's the next best thing.
Navine A.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Excellent Software if you have help

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

I had a live hate relationship with quickbooks because while it was easy to use it can get messy quite quickly due incorrect categorization. That changed when I hired a bookkeeper to look over my books on a monthly basis.

Pros

Love quickbooks online well because it is online which means I can do my business from anywhere and anytime.

Relatively easy to set up and has video tutorials. Love that you can set up lots of subcategories which makes comparing information from different categories easy and more meaningful.

Love the new tags feature!!! I wholesale so I can see which wholesale reps are performing the best.

Makes bookkeeping and tax paying easy if everything is setup correctly and accounts are reconciled correctly.

Love the various reports you can pull from it. Profit and loss monthly, quarterly, annually.

Love how easy it is to create invoices and the option to get paid within quickbooks!! No more sending an invoice and then asking for a separate PayPal or square payment.

Cons

Categorizing some income & expenses can be tricky at times which can mess the books up and make you want to tear your hair out.

May Need a quickbooks bookkeeper to keep your books clean or will most likely mess it up.

FreshBooks and Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

Wa e was too basic and fresh books was limited in its functions.
Michelle S.
  • Industry: Design

Easy To Use Accounting Software For Small Business Owners

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

My overall experience with Quickbooks Online has been positive. While there are some things that can be improved, it has served its purpose for me for the past few years. The price is fairly comparable to other online software. The only other one I have had experience with is Freshbooks but I switched to Quickbooks Online because of a promotion that gave me a much cheaper option.

Pros

QuickBooks Online is a great accounting software for busy entrepreneurs who are looking for a centralized way to keep all their billing/invoicing/expense tracking/payment processing in one place. I find it quite easy to use. It allows me to forego the expense of a physical accountant and grants me the convenience of creating and sending invoices online, accepting payment, managing invoice history and tracking expenses. Instead of having to purchase software and being relegated to one laptop, you can access this software anywhere. In addition, if you have contractors/employees, depending on your plan, you can process your payroll directly from the software which is an added bonus.

Cons

I like most of the features associated with Quickbooks Online, however, as a designer myself I think there could be a greater variety in the invoice template selection. It is very easy to brand their current templates, but as someone who values brand aesthetic highly, I would love to be able to cater the visual of the invoice to be more aligned with my brand aesthetic.

Peter J.

Using QBO

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

The benefit we have is that we can work with our clients on their accounts without having to go to their office or for them to drop a laptop into us. This means we can keep an eye on the accounts and provide assistance as and when it is required.

Pros

The interface is easy to use and the software is quick to set up for a new business. The support and help features are very good - this is something that many suppliers fall down on badly. QBO has features for businesses of all sizes so as they grow and analysis of the accounts becomes more important the tools are there, ready and waiting. The recent update of the VAT accounting to handle VAT in Ireland is a game changer. We have been very impressed with the data conversion facility to import records from Quickbooks desktop software to QBO. Finally, being an online product means the software is always up to date, there is a proper back up of the records and 24/7 access to the accounts are all key benefits.

Cons

For a small or new business with no familiarity with accounting the initial interface can be daunting. There are a lot of terms to become familiar with.

Sage 50cloud Accounting and Xero

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

We believe QBO is a good option for larger and growing businesses because of the more sophisticated features it offers over, say, SURF or Big Red Cloud. The fact that Intuit is a very large company gives users comfort in terms of support and future development of the software.
Tammy C.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Quickbooks online

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

For the most part I really like the software, there are just a few things that aren't as handy as the old desktop version. They periodically do different feature updates that for my portion of the accounting don't really enhance my job or make it easier.

Pros

I love the fact that I don't have to do manual backups! I love that it is accessible from any computer. It is a huge help that I am able to scan and attach invoices, comes in very handy when I need to double check payments made.

Cons

From an accounting standpoint the fact that the program doesn't recognize if an invoice was previously entered by the invoice number is something I really miss from the old desktop form of the software. On this software you could enter the same invoice number in 10 times and it would never "see" that the invoice was previously entered. This causes a lot of back and forth between the vendor account and bills window which takes extra time. The only other comment I have is concerning the reports section. I am not a trained accountant and on the old desktop version it was far easier to generate reports.

Quickbooks Online- The Easy Accounting Software

Reviewed on 09/06/2021

It is great accounting software for a small business. We are able to manage expenses, send invoices, run payroll, keep track of inventory and generally organize our books. Access to accounting information from anywhere anytime is a plus. It is fairly affordable and has a 30-day free trial.

Pros

The linking of the bank accounts makes reconciliation easy at the end of the month. The banking interface allows for the classifying of transactions which makes work easy for recurring transactions. The software integrated well with our existing business management software. Customers are able to make payments online easily. The ability to access the accounting information from anywhere comes in handy especially in these times when organizations are moving to remote working due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Cons

The frequent upgrades sometimes make it difficult to find features that you have used previously. Customer support can do better in promptly assisting customers when an issue arises. If an error occurs in the original entry, correcting it is usually a lengthy process. You may have to contact customer support to do it from the back end.

Kristie K.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Top Financial Management App

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

It’s been an amazing experience because it organizes all of my costs and data. I don’t spend as much as I used to now that I categorize my business and personal costs. It’s always a good sign to keep the personal costs and see how much I need to save each time I get paid. I categorize all of my direct deposit as business costs and the money I spend when I got shopping as personal costs.

Pros

This app is great for those who own a business or is self-employed and likes having one app to store all the data on costs. I love being able to choose whether the cost is business-related or personal. The bank accounts are all linked to this one app and I can keep a record of what goes in my account and what is spent. I keep a track of every cent I use and spend. My favorite is seeing how much I earn and how much my business profits within a year.

Cons

Sometimes, the bank accounts get disconnected due to internet issue last and it can take a while to link the accounts again. The accounts get disconnected for unknown reasons even if I don’t change my account information on the bank account site. It can take a few hours to a few days to reconnect and retrieve the costs.

• Industry: Entertainment

Would recommend for anyone who is overwhelmed with by their accounting process

Reviewed on 01/05/2021

Has been so nice to get organized and have everything in one place. It really helped to analyze and get controls on spending, collecting receivables, and putting out monthly profit and loss statements.

Pros

The best feature for our company was the bank interface. All our expenses on all bank accounts and credit cards are all downloaded automatically. Even better is you can train this process using rules so that recurring transactions can be classified immediately resulting in little to no work on the user part. Reconciliation is nearly done at the end of the month as any transaction that is entered through the connection to the bank is automatically checked and matched for reconciliation. Tracking vendors for year end 1099 forms is also a great feature we use annually.

Cons

Cons are that if you do not the rules of accounting and are a small business owner with a tight budget and cannot an accountant, you really need to do your homework on what and when to do certain processes like turning the year over. Sometimes the software can run a little heavy on our computer, but there is an installable version you can put on your computer to resolve the issue. The help topics have not been much of a help. I usually refer to google searches as opposed to the topic center included in the software.

Zoho Expense and FreshBooks

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online

We switched because we were using a system to record transactions was antiquated and prone to human error upon entry not to mention the data entry process was very time consuming. We also needed everything all in one place to be a more effective strategy.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online

We ultimately chose Quickbooks for its brand recognition and excellent online reviews. Internet based operations was also a very attractive feature.