QuickBooks Online Reviews

Irene
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Excellent online software

Reviewed on 10/03/2023

I am very happy with this product. I use it for bookkeeping and my accountant reviews my entries at regular intervals.

Pros

It is easy to use and you can't do anything wrong. I am using this program for 4-5 years and never had any technical issues. Reporting is straightforward and I can see my financial situation at any time.

Cons

I am a happy QuickBooks user and have nothing negative to report.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

Excel is not handy for a large amount of invoices and there is always risk you might damage the formulas implemented.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

My accountant prefers QuickBooks.
Shayla
Shayla
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Fantastic cloud-based accounting solution for any size company

Reviewed on 17/03/2023

If you want a single spot to manage your finances, I can think of no better option than QuickBooks Online. There's no need to download or install any software, and they've been a frontrunner in the accounting software market for many years.

Pros

One of my clients right now utilizes QuickBooks Online to keep track of their finances and sellable goods. My own personal involvement with this system spans several years, and I am responsible for managing it from an administrative and deployment perspective.

Cons

I'm hoping they'll upgrade their website to accept Schedule K forms soon. New users may find it difficult to get their bearings, depending on their familiarity with accounting software.

Mumta
  • Industry: Import & Export

New QB invoice update

Reviewed on 16/02/2024

It’s been mixed feelings, the QB is better efficient on the accounting side most of the times but not for the day to day user.

Pros

That banking is attached and there is AI technology

Cons

The worst is the recent invoice update since I am not able to view product and service section and it gets cut off while description section is long which most of the times I do not need. Also, an autamated system to create invoices will make doin business much quicker

Rodney
  • Industry: Wholesale

Cant connect a PayPal account to a QB Business account for 6 months? Realy?

Reviewed on 12/02/2024

Everything except for technical support was good, the software has cost me a lot of money due to lack of technical support.

Pros

Easy to use.....
Good for invoicing
looks good

Cons

Non existent technical support
Due to QB's poor customer service and the inability to connect a Business Paypay account for almost 6 months, has cost me hundreds with both myself and my Book keeper chasing an outcome with their useless technical support team. No wonder you are losing business to their competitors in droves.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Book keeper suggestion...Book keeper suggestion...
Chris
  • Industry: Insurance

Quickbooks online - transition

Reviewed on 22/12/2023

I have been pleased with the move and will not be looking at other options. Quickbooks online works great.

Pros

Moving from our managment system to QBO allowed for easier reporting and record keeping

Cons

I have had no issues/cons so far with quickbooks online.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Great solution for small business accounting

Reviewed on 13/09/2023

Excellent product

Excellent product

Pros

A great product that includes all the features for small business accounting, expense tracking, reporting, invoicing and payments, easy to use and affordable. Also integrates with Dext for automation.

Cons

Nothing really, the auto reminders could be more frequent

Tara
Tara

Amazing functionality and capability

Reviewed on 12/09/2023

Pros

Ease of use, accuracy, constant improvements

Cons

Gets pricey very quicky. Can't upgrade from Sole Prop version.

Meghan

stay away from intuit products

Reviewed on 16/02/2024

if i owned this company i would spend the money to get away from all intuit products. it would be worth it for long term growth. none of the partner apps successfully pair. all of the qbo integrations are broken. can't get payout sync from amazon, shopify. records disappear. intuit products don't even communicate with other intuit products. it's ridiculous. may as well be on pen and paper

Pros

it appeared to be a comprehensive solution

Cons

it is not comprehensive, quality, well designed, or improving at all.

Gauthier
  • Industry: Design

Goof for the money

Reviewed on 19/02/2024

Pros

Easy to use and lot of reports available.

Cons

You can't reconciliate all your balance sheet accounts.
Some issue to allocate payments from / to suppliers or customers using a foreign currency.

Arslan
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Quickbooks is my personal accountant

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

It was really very easy to use software and it is a must for every business

It was really very easy to use software and it is a must for every business

Pros

I can manage all accounting of my business with this software without need of an accountant

Cons

I dont think of any feature that i did not like

Scott
  • Industry: Printing

Too many problems with the Software and poor support

Reviewed on 30/08/2019

First, when I moved my business from Quickbooks desktop to Quickbooks Online, it cost me thousands of dollars in accounting fees to fix all the errors that QBO introduced. The transition was a nightmare, and took months to sort out. Inuit was ZERO help during this time.

Since then QBO has gotten worse, not better. There are constant sync issues with bank accounts and credit cards, and QBO staff always recommend that you call your bank or credit card company. But these are QBO issues, and can only be resolved by QBO engineers, sometimes with the help of the bank or card company in question. It's ridiculous to ask a consumer to get involved in those kinds of issues, and a complete waste of time.

I have had numerous times where a credit card purchase showed as being processed, but only months later we found it didn't and lost the money - thousands of dollars in total. QBO and Intuit Merchant services take no responsibility.

Recently QBO forced Paypal as a payment option, and users cannot turn it off. But payments come in with no name associated with the payment. QBO insists this is a paypal problem, but it is not. A client receives an invoice online, pays it online, and then Quickbooks cannot match the payment to a name, but won't let you turn off paypal as an option. If clients pay an invoice just using your email, using paypal without QBO, then payments match. Clearly QBO has a big problem here.

Pros

It is convenient when it works. You can theoretically sync your bank accounts, credit cards and client payments, saving time in accounting and eliminating a lot of data entry

Cons

Merchant Services is expensive and unresponsive. The software has many bugs, and often won't sync with accounts for days or more. Tech support is hit and miss, and often I will resolve an issue before they can. In line ads are extremely annoying, and QBO treats its customers as a product, rather than a customer. There is no service level agreement and Intuit takes zero responsibility if they lose your data. They no longer have a phone number you can call. You have to wait for a callback, and many times they don't call back.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

We switched from Quickbooks desktop to Quickbooks Online so our accounting would not be tied to one computer.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

I chose what I knew. I didn't understand at the time however that Quickbooks Desktop and Quickbooks Online are like two completely different companies. They don't talk to each other, and QBO is an inferior product in many ways. These two things are not the same.
Tosif
Tosif
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

QUICKBOOKS for INVOICING

Reviewed on 09/10/2020

Overall quickbooks is a good tool for small business to track expenses, invoice customers and track the invoices received. You can even email and customize invoices right from the software.

Pros

Quicksbooks is a great software for the small busineess. It allows for invoicing customers in an easy way. If you are out of the limit for the invoices, you can make a small purchase and make it online and can access it from anywhere and everywhere from the tablet, pc or phone. It is a real easy way for tracking the invoices and marking them paid with accounts receivable. It also allows for digital time card where you can record the employees time of in and out. Great software and easy to learn.

Cons

The things you want to consider improving the software is it should give easy ways for tracking the accounts paid and invoices paid by the customer. Everything else looks pretty decent.

OnlineInvoices

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Quickbooks is easy to use than any other software. As it can be use with or without internet. For invoices online you need internet to access your files and folders. With quickbooks you can backup your data and use it anywhere from any device like phone, tablet and pc.
Michelle
  • Industry: Design

Easy To Use Accounting Software For Small Business Owners

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

My overall experience with Quickbooks Online has been positive. While there are some things that can be improved, it has served its purpose for me for the past few years. The price is fairly comparable to other online software. The only other one I have had experience with is Freshbooks but I switched to Quickbooks Online because of a promotion that gave me a much cheaper option.

Pros

QuickBooks Online is a great accounting software for busy entrepreneurs who are looking for a centralized way to keep all their billing/invoicing/expense tracking/payment processing in one place. I find it quite easy to use. It allows me to forego the expense of a physical accountant and grants me the convenience of creating and sending invoices online, accepting payment, managing invoice history and tracking expenses. Instead of having to purchase software and being relegated to one laptop, you can access this software anywhere. In addition, if you have contractors/employees, depending on your plan, you can process your payroll directly from the software which is an added bonus.

Cons

I like most of the features associated with Quickbooks Online, however, as a designer myself I think there could be a greater variety in the invoice template selection. It is very easy to brand their current templates, but as someone who values brand aesthetic highly, I would love to be able to cater the visual of the invoice to be more aligned with my brand aesthetic.

Ryan
  • Industry: Medical Devices

QBO Works, But It Should Be Better Than It Is

Reviewed on 02/08/2022

Due to the massive price increase to move to a 60k+ ERP, QBO is probably still the way to go, it's just a shame that they haven't done a better job listening to their customers and implementing the MANY MANY requests and suggestions that they have been receiving for years.

Pros

You can login online from anywhere, and it does a great job of syncing with your bank accounts

Cons

The support is basically non-existent. Also, there is just no reason that they haven't implemented more customization options for how long this software has been out. They also make syncing with other programs sound good, but then limit what can actually be done on the back-end.

NetSuite and Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

QB Enterprise was getting left in the dark ages, and it simply isn't a user-friendly product.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

We chose QBO over the many ERPs that we had looked at, because we ended up finding a product called OrderTime that does an excellent job syncing with QBO and takes care of our inventory and order management needs. If it weren't for OrderTime, we would have probably moved forward with an full ERP.

Response from Intuit

Hi, Ryan. Thanks for an honest review. This isn't the impression we hoped you'd have. We'd appreciate the opportunity to make this right. The best way to reach the QuickBooks Online Team is to use any of the methods listed here: (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/quickbooks-online-support/L6WqNrDq0_US_en_US). We're always happy to help. All the best. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Ahmad

QBO is excellent for non-profit except for a few limitations

Reviewed on 20/09/2022

It is the best for small size non-profits as long as one can find an away to produce end of year donation tax statements

Pros

If you know how to setup the chart of accounts including using Locations and Classes you can fairly run non-profit accounting very smoothly. Data entry is simple. Reporting is fairly good.
Import and export functions are very good.

Cons

There are serious limitations with issuing end of year donation statements. One can't filter out sales and can't customize the statement text to meet regulations. The statements are very inflexible.

Aplos

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

Online access and easier user experience

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Although Aplos was made for non-profits it didn't give us the flexibility to setup our chart of accounts to enable the required reporting across restricted/unrestricted funds, programs and bank accounts.
karie

QBO Accountant

Reviewed on 08/11/2022

Overall, I am happy with the product. they also have live chat now, and they can call you if you need to talk to someone. Customer service definitely is great improvement over the years. It is big for me because I refuse to work with any software company that I cannot talk to anyone (hint hint Zenefits). And most of the time they get it resolved over the chat. Recommended

Pros

Love the bank matching function, makes the bank reconciliation 10x better if you do it right. It's very easy to navigate the system, for beginners, it's the easiest system I used so far for them to pick up. Make sure if you set up, you don't use the simple cheapest version if you own a business tho, it's cheaper but the reporting is not as good as essential and above. I have implemented qbo for all my small clients that doesn't need a big system for POs

Cons

I have mixed feeling about the auto categorization, some bookkeepers gets lazy and thinks it's correct and just click add, which half of the time can be wrong especially when it comes to use project and classes. it's a great function to make our lives easier, but also makes people lazier. I made sure to train my employees to not get lazy and check every transaction

Mint and Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

Xero is not as easy as QBO also all my clients are using QBO

Reporting and user experience
Laura
Laura
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

The top-rated accounting program for SMBs!

Reviewed on 14/03/2023

Since I'm also an accountant and bookkeeper for a few other small firms, I use it for their payroll and financial records as well. Regularly, I utilize the whole software for my company's payroll, time tracking, and accounting needs. To streamline accounting, I recommend that all of my customers switch to QuickBooks.

Pros

All of our financial records, including bookkeeping, accounting, payroll, and budgeting, are maintained in QuickBooks Online. The program's principal user is me, but I've also sent copies to the company's grant writer, accountant, treasurer, and auditor.

Cons

Cleaning up the books is a fantastic idea in theory, but the execution fell well short of expectations. It would have been better if they had questioned my role in the organization more thoroughly before making the changes.

Kristina
  • Industry: Accounting

QBO is the best there is but it could use some major improvements.

Reviewed on 10/10/2023

While I am often frustrated with glitches or issues that come up: over and over, I am reminded that QBO truly is the best in the business with no other comparable alternatives. The user friendly interface allows for quick and accurate categorization and reporting.

Pros

I love the highly customizable financial reporting. The ability to turn on or off tracking by class or location, the ability set up automatic reminders on overdue invoices, and the ability to efficiently categorize transactions in batches.

Cons

The constant desire for improvement leads QBO to make changes that reduce the efficiency of the project. Most recent QBO stopped pulling in numbers contained withing bank details and replaced all the numbers with XXX. This makes it remarkably more difficult to match invoices to payments and categorize transfers because I have to log in to the bank to get information that used to be readily available,

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Quickbooks has more robust integrations as well as a more involved training program to get you started out on the right foot inside the software.
Kristie
Kristie
  • Industry: Entertainment

Top Financial Management App

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

It’s been an amazing experience because it organizes all of my costs and data. I don’t spend as much as I used to now that I categorize my business and personal costs. It’s always a good sign to keep the personal costs and see how much I need to save each time I get paid. I categorize all of my direct deposit as business costs and the money I spend when I got shopping as personal costs.

Pros

This app is great for those who own a business or is self-employed and likes having one app to store all the data on costs. I love being able to choose whether the cost is business-related or personal. The bank accounts are all linked to this one app and I can keep a record of what goes in my account and what is spent. I keep a track of every cent I use and spend. My favorite is seeing how much I earn and how much my business profits within a year.

Cons

Sometimes, the bank accounts get disconnected due to internet issue last and it can take a while to link the accounts again. The accounts get disconnected for unknown reasons even if I don’t change my account information on the bank account site. It can take a few hours to a few days to reconnect and retrieve the costs.

Phil
Phil

A constantly moving target, but works well for basic SB accounting needs...

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

We initially moved from QuickBooks Pro Desktop to the Online version to allow for our new Online Service Management System (RazorSync) to easily export invoices into QB for processing. In that regard, QB Online has worked well and met expectations. It's obviously an evolving product and there have been many changes to it over the time we've been on the service; some good, some not-so-much. The reporting module is very limited and unless one of the canned reports is close to what you want it's a struggle to obtain some information in a format that's useful. All those issues aside however it's been a good solution for our company and we expect we'll continue to use it.

Pros

It's wonderful to have access to our accounting system from any Internet-connected device. Integration with our Service Management System (RazorSync) has allowed us to turn Service Orders into invoices and send them via QuickBooks Online quickly and easily, which has absolutely improved how quickly we get paid on jobs. The Payroll module makes it easy to pay our employees and calculate the necessary withholding and taxes due.

Cons

The reports in the Online version are clunky and horribly limited. Recently Intuit modified what was included in the package we were in and limited the number of accounts we're allowed to have in the Chart of Accounts without paying a higher fee, so we're stuck not being able to add new accounts unless we want to go to the "next tier". Last year we needed to reprint some older tax forms that weren't showing up so we were forced to contact support for assistance. We finally got what we needed done but it took contacting two different support reps as the first one obviously wasn't familiar with the product and made changes to our accounting data that had to then be fixed by the second rep.

Kristen
Kristen
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

A little outdated, but still reliable software workhorse

Reviewed on 07/12/2020

There's not much I can say in addition to what I've said in the above sections. I've been using QuickBooks for around 10 years, both for my own business as well as when working for other small businesses in the past, and it's been both a joy and a pain in the butt at times. Overall, I'd still highly recommend QuickBooks as the go-to software for most businesses, because it's just so versatile and has a lot of great features. However, I'd highly recommend watching a few videos or even taking a class or two before using some of the more complex features. Otherwise, you're bound to make one small mistake that acts like a parasitic vine, weaving and entangling its way into the rest of your account features, and becoming a bit of pain to unravel.

Pros

Because QuickBooks has been around for so long, there are tons of resources for information regarding how to use the software most effectively, and how to troubleshoot particularly strange issues that may arise. I appreciate that QuickBooks can be used for a business of almost any size, whether you're running a small business from home, or a multi-million dollar per year construction company. There are plenty of options for things like inventory management, accounts payable/receivable, billing/invoicing, tax scheduling, etc. The options are nearly endless, and (most) of them are reasonable easy to figure out with a little experience and know-how.

Cons

Because QuickBooks was created so long ago, some of their features continually fall behind the times. They're always just one step behind technological innovation, and their software isn't always the most user-friendly. I think it may be a symptom of the software being designed by tax-minded individuals, who tend to think wildly differently from the majority of people who are going to use this software. Some of the features are difficult to find or use, the user-interface is a bit clunky, the software can be a bit slow at times, and there's a steep learning curve for some of the more advanced features.

• Industry: Accounting

Great accounting software for small & large businesses

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

I use QBO for my own tax practice bookkeeping as well as for my clients. I use it daily to keep up with my firm and my clients. We all use the bank feed to facilitate automatic entry of as much data as possible.

Pros

QBO allows users to easily enter their financial transactions. It even has the capability to enter most transactions for the user from the bank feed. You can let QBO import your bank activity and use rules that you set up to code the transactions appropriately. It makes reconciling your bank statement a complete breeze!

Cons

There are some issues with payroll that can only be corrected by calling in to Customer Support. I find this annoying when I personally know and understand how the correction needs to be made. I do, however, understand that not everyone understands the ramifications of making corrections.

Devon

Horrible Updates!

Reviewed on 28/07/2023

I used to say I "love" QuickBooks. Now it's safe to say I "hate" it. I have considered switching software systems and taking all my clients elsewhere. I keep saying that if QuickBooks wants to migrate users from Desktop, they need to make Online more like Desktop. That couldn't be further from the changes they're making. Do they make these changes without holding focus groups? Honestly, do you even care about your users anymore?

Pros

I love the ease of signing on to QuickBooks Online from anywhere. My clients email me questions and I can answer them right away. I can also work from anywhere, which is great!

Cons

Recently (2023), QuickBooks Online development team have been making a lot of physical changes to the program that are HORRIBLE! I hate every change they've made this year. You can tell the developers do not use the program on a daily basis. And worse yet, when they implement a change, it glitches terribly and it takes them months to fix it. A lot of the changes make it harder to do my job by adding steps/clicks to performing tasks that weren't there before. A lot of the windows are also not seemless/ aligned like they used to be - not everything is lined up on the same gridline. Most people use the program on their laptops and you can tell they're making it more for desktop in that the pages are too wide/big and don't fit on your computer screen. However, when I use the program on my desktop screen, I have the same issues. There are boxes where there didn't used to be and don't need to be. It makes me feel like they're going backwards in technology and not forward. A lot of the features are not Intuitive... as the name suggests they should be.

Paula
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Fine except payroll and reports

Reviewed on 26/06/2017

I feel that the support staff have been placed in a bad position because the software is still so buggy. They should not have released payroll until it was ready and the sales team needs to better set expectations. The support staff can only do so much with buggy software. In addition, the engineering team needs to be properly staffed to resolve critical bugs in a reasonable time frame. Over 1 month is unacceptable for a severe bug that is preventing use of the payroll module for more than one customer. I was torn between giving the software 2 or 3 stars because of the pros above but I think they should understand that they can't push out poor quality, incomplete modules to try to compete in the online market and not properly set expectations. There are good alternatives at this point.

Pros

Seamless integration with other software, electronic billing and payments, banking download and matching

Cons

Payroll is a disaster and payroll reports are really bad. I noticed that most reviews on here do not mention payroll and I'm sure that's because many don't have this functionality enabled. I feel that QBO is trying to push users toward their full service payroll service by not focusing their attention on this module. It is an absolute mess. First of all, there is no integration between QBDT and QBO payroll modules. The data does not transfer from one to the other well at all. What does transfer is very incomplete or incorrect data. The manual data entry required is tedious and very bug-filled so it doesn't work correctly and requires chat or call-ins to the support line to complete. The functionality does not allow for customization of the posting of deductions and causes a lot of manual follow-up work from payroll that is completely unnecessary and which didn't exist in QBDT. In addition, they have many more bugs once in "operation" and some are severe and some are minor but annoying. The severe make it so that I have not actually been able to run payroll in QBO yet though we switched on 5/19/17. I had to run two payrolls in QBDT so far and then manually reproduce them in QBO. That is pretty severe in my opinion but still no resolution from their team. I did get them to credit me the fees for the month. Others such as the Total Pay column being nonsensical and not matching the total of the Gross Wages plus other compensation are just really annoying. The fact that you can't customize payroll reports AT ALL is maddening.

In addition to the above, there is an extremely annoying issue for nonprofits. If you select Nonprofit 501c3 as the type, you have to use "Pledges" as your terminology. You can't use "Invoices". I have worked around this by selecting Other/Not Sure as my type but it requires me to change it back whenever I set up a new employee in order to allow designating them as exempt from FUTA. So far, it seems to hold the exemption when switching it back to "Other". However, since I haven't been able to run a real payroll run yet, we will see. Many nonprofits don't utilize pledges and though you can customize the forms to read Invoice in the email, you can't change the language appearing on the Sales module and attached pdf invoices auto-name as Pledge #X when sending to customers.

Austin
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Horrible Customer Service and Deflect Responsibility for their Products Functionality

Reviewed on 15/10/2018

I have to use quickbooks because it is what accountants and bookkeepers prefer but I hate giving money to a company that refuses to take any responsibility for the quality of their product.

Pros

Accountants and Bookkeepers prefer it so it is more widely accessible to use than freshbooks or other alternatives

Cons

Customer service is terrible. I have spent and least 10 hours on the phone with customer service and switching between your payment center and user interface center because of a minor issue that has still not been resolved in any way. One customer in our portal is flagged as not having paid even though he has paid. It took 10 hours and conversations with at least 10 employees to find out that this customer has indeed paid and the issue is an interface issue. I was told they would resolve the flagged customer in our system but he is STILL flagged as not having paid and there is nothing I can do about it. I asked for a refund or discount for the 10 hours I spent talking to their team so they could identify the issue and they provided a very minimal discount that did not cover a fraction of the hours. I can't afford to spend any more time with the team on this minor issue but my accounts continue to be inaccurate and the alert continues to be at the forefront of my homepage and it is infuriating.

They do not stand behind the integrity of their product at all. There is a clear interface issue with their product that remains unresolved for 8 months. They refuse to do anything even though the issue was identified by their team and they refuse to offer any discount even though the issue is known.

Everyone on their customer service teams is uncaring and incompetent. I spent over 10 hours being passed from department to department, everyone adamant to avoid taking responsibility to fix the issue. which remained unfixed.

They continue to raise their prices every year even though the software does not improve at all and you have no control over it.