QuickBooks Payroll

4.3/5

655 Reviews for UK Users

Melissa G.
  • Industry: Accounting

QBO Payroll is the easiest way to manage your small business payroll

Reviewed on 25/01/2019

If you are already a QBO user and have a small to medium work force this is the your best bet. It works within your existing QBO file, so no need for double entry and tax filing is an easy to follow step-by-step process.

Pros

No more double entry when you run payroll through your existing QBO file!

Cons

This might not be the right solution for larger companies who have greater HR needs then just cutting a paycheck each pay period, though it is not difficult to set up employee deductions for things like health care, retirement plans, etc.

David D.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Works for our relatively straight forward needs

Reviewed on 05/12/2021

It's been good, and I would recommend it to other companies that have a similar use case to us (not a crazy amount of employees, and no complicated setup for payments)

Pros

I've had many people tell me that QuickBooks Payroll isn't a "true" or "real" payroll system, but I have yet to experience any major problems.

Our use case is fairly simple / straight forward, and we have 10's of employees, not 100's. In this context it works very well, handles all the tax reporting almost automatically (there is a bit of manual work, but it's trivial) and basically allows us to manage this fairly simply as a small company with not tons of resources.

It handles the direct deposit for our employees nicely as well.

Cons

This is more of an issue with any Quickbooks product, not just Payroll. The UI is not always super clear, and sometimes you have to go to weird places (from a navigation perspective) to find a particular function. Getting our annual forms for employees and the government is always a pain, because it's been a year since it was done last and it takes some time to find where you can do it in the software.

The support is also hit and miss. Sometimes the agent you get is very helpful and solves the problem relatively quickly, and sometimes the agent you get can't even really understand the problem no matter how often you explain it.

Finally my last gripe is that I have to manage the dates to process payroll manually. i.e. Quickbooks knows when payroll has to be run, but doesn't send me any type of notification, so I have to manually track this. It occasionally results in running it too close to a holiday, resulting in staff getting paid a day late, I'd really appreciate it if I got a notice from Quickbooks on the last day to process on time, since it's only one of the many things I have to keep track of.

Judi W.

Very expensive!

Reviewed on 02/12/2021

Customer service is lacking. I'm usually on the phone for at least an hour with a representative trying to fix an issue.

Pros

QB Payroll is fairly easy to use to run payroll and set up employees

Cons

Almost impossible to correct a payroll or run an off-cycle payroll.

Response from Intuit

Hi there, Judi. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Your feedback doesn't go unheard. We want to make sure you can access support when you need it. You'll find all the options to reach us online at (https://tinyurl.com/4a62hkmy) We wish you continued success. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Darcie G.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Pretty good value but tax and reporting features can be lacking

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

QuickBook’s Online seemed like a great choice but after 1 year of use, we went back to the fully integrated desktop software. No real issues and certainly no issues with tax payment accruals and the reporting is very detailed. Highly recommend desktop software over online.

Pros

QB’s is user friendly and meets all basic payroll needs without issue. Easy vacation tracking and basic reporting services. Takes about 5 minutes to run payroll for a smaller company.

Cons

A couple of hiccups in the tax payment department using the online version and the reporting was lacking. Customer service was mediocre and took quite a long while to work with for seemingly simple errors that were only correctly handled approximately 50% of the time.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Cost
Karrie D.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great Product

Reviewed on 09/12/2021

Pros

Quickbooks Payroll is super easy to use. I love the vacation and sick tracking.

Cons

I wish there were more HR things that would be beneficial for the company

Norma N.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Perfect Product

Reviewed on 02/01/2022

My overall experience has been great. I can track my time, add holiday hours and PTO easily on my phone.

Pros

Great way to keep track of your hours, holidays and PTO. I can use the app to clock in and out and keep track of my daily and weekly hours.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about this product. It is easy to use, user friendly and very efficient and accurate.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for being part of the QuickBooks family, Norma!

It's fantastic hearing that QuickBooks Payroll has given you everything you need to manage your payroll quickly and easily.

If you ever need assistance with your account or have questions, please feel free to reach out through the Help (?) icon > 'Contact Us' within your account, and we'd be glad to get you taken care of!

We appreciate you writing a review!

-Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Chris C.

The best way to go

Reviewed on 06/12/2021

Pros

Quickbooks is the industry standard and the payroll should be. You can do all things in one platform. User friendly, simple and effective.

Cons

Quickbooks has not had a problem since I have been using it.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for your review, Chris!

It's fantastic to hear that QuickBooks Online Payroll is exceeding your expectations, and simplifying your payroll work-flow!

If you ever have any questions or need help with your payroll, please feel free to reach out to our Technical Support Team using the Help(?) icon in-account, and we'd be more than happy to assist!

We appreciate you!

-Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Narisse N.

Very convenient and easy to use

Reviewed on 13/12/2021

Pros

I love that everything is right there for you to use; you can pay bills, check your assets and liabilities, and keep track of your finances with this one software.

Cons

I haven't found anything wrong with this product yet.

Denise W.

Payroll solution for some

Reviewed on 10/12/2021

Overall this software has been adequate for an easy payroll but not for those who need more features

Pros

This software is inexpensive and easily accessed within the QBO environment

Cons

There are many frustrating features in this software. It's out of the box and not very customizable. It's great if you have a standard payroll but not if you need anything further.

Kelley L.
  • Industry: Machinery

Easy Payroll Solution!

Reviewed on 20/11/2021

We run payroll on this and it is very quick and efficient once it is set up. Takes less than a half hour to enter and hit send.

Pros

Easy to set up and use. Many report features to support business needs.

Cons

Vacation tracking. This is one feature that there is not a report for that we could identify.

Mike B.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

I'm a happy camper.

Reviewed on 17/05/2021

Very good to outstanding overall. The software itself is very good and keeps improving. Also, as the market leader, they have many local CPA's that integrates into the software as "local experts", so when I have a question I can typically ask my CPA firm and they can help, or whenever there has been a problem that they can't solve, they are able to contact support on my behalf. Overall the system works pretty well.

Pros

The payroll service is really easy overall. All the tasks that I use are quite simple to navigate around, including adding new employees, paying employees, and sending out payroll liability payments. These are what I do most often and they've been really simplified by Quickbooks.

Other functions that I use are payroll deductions (401k, etc), tracking sick/vacation time, and managing direct deposit.

Another feature I like (part of QB Online, not sure about Desktop), is that employees are emailed a link to join their payroll management website, where they can access payroll stubs, W2's etc. It has made managing a lot of the HR parts of hiring employees much more streamlined.

Cons

Not really a con, but I don't have any experience with any of the direct competitors, e.g. Freshbooks, Sage, Xero, etc., so I can't say if Quickbooks does anything better or worse than those others.

But what I can say is that I did switch from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online, which is a much better experience overall (although more expensive).

Paul B.

Quickbooks Online Payroll

Reviewed on 26/03/2020

The software continues to be very efficient and provides ease of use. However, the confidence I have in customer service is what makes me stick with this software and not look elsewhere for an alternative.

Pros

Ease of implementation and constant guidance available from customer service to resolve any issue. Also the ability to access and run payroll from any device that can reach the internet provides so much productivity.

Cons

The Elite payroll service seems so restrictive. I cannot access many of the settings or execute many of the functions that I could through the Core payroll service. To change these settings I need to go through customer service, which was very confusing and frustrating during the implementation of the payroll service.

• Industry: Accounting

The best payroll software I'm aware of

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

I use Quickbooks Payroll for multiple organizations to process all aspects of payroll. I have used it for employees in four different states. I've already mentioned how useful it is in automatically calculating and tracking everything. I also use it to prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for government tax agencies. I especially appreciate the ability to e-file several tax reports and e-pay some taxes as well. Each year I prepare and file employees' w-2s using Quickbooks Payroll, which makes the process fairly simple.

Pros

My favorite thing about Quickbooks payroll also happens to be the most important thing about it...it is accurate! The payroll tax rates and rules are always updated to maintain accuracy in a changing landscape. When processing payroll, everything is automatically calculated and tracked for accuracy - including annual salary, vacation and/or sick pay, holiday pay, withholding tax, and unemployment tax. I don't have to worry about manually calculating things, knowing when there are tax changes, or potentially making mistakes.

Cons

I most dislike how expensive Quickbooks Payroll is. I only use the Enhanced Payroll subscription that integrates with existing Quickbooks desktop software or Quickbooks online subscription. That means I do all of actual work in processing payroll and payroll taxes, rather than using a more full-service option. I think the (ever increasing) several hundred dollars per year it costs to have the subscription is unreasonable. (In addition there's a separate fee for each direct deposit check.) However, the truth is, I rely so much on the functions of Quickbooks payroll that I continue utilizing it despite the cost complaints. I haven't come across anything better so I feel I have no choice.

Juan H.
  • Industry: Utilities

New to Quickbooks auto payroll

Reviewed on 08/04/2020

I'm very new to Quickbooks Payroll but my experience thus far has been nothing short of great. I have been using other Quickbooks products for many years though and I'm very satisfied with Quickbooks as a whole.

Pros

This software includes all the features I was looking for in one place and for a great price. My main concern as a business owner was ease of usage, accessibility and automation. This software met all these requirements and then some. The interface is very easy to navigate and user friendly and I can access everything whether I'm at home, office or on the go with their array of applications. Once everything is set up properly, there's no need to worry about it which is a huge time saver for me. I'm very busy as it is meeting clients, drafting proposals and doing the accounting, so anything I can automate reliably is of great help.

Cons

The actual set up of the payroll was a lengthy process and required to have a lot of information on hand but I wouldn't really consider this too much of a con since I had one of their amazing specialists helping me with every single step of the process. She did almost of all the work for me if I'm being honest, I just inputted data as instructed. She was very thorough and thought of concerns I didn't even think about. Just make sure you have ample time to get through the whole set up calmly.

Peggy C.

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Reviewed on 02/02/2021

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros

pretty easy to use
set up easily
integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons

Biggest issues are:
-Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors.
- Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries to read the full manual to figure it out, when in fact, it is a recent programming changes issue.
- Integration with other Apps - You cannot integrate a time card app because only hours are uploaded from app to QuickBooks and we cannot map $/hr pay for contractors, only employees.
Who focuses on contractor payments?
- RECENT "improvements" and rate increase double the cost of the tool for my company.

Michael D.

Excellent Software & Customer Service

Reviewed on 22/05/2020

I've switched from ADP to Quickbooks Payroll. I really enjoy having all of my businesses extremities implemented under one system. It's basically a one-size fits all. I am able to print my own payroll checks and vendor checks when I want and not have to wait for shipping. I enjoy having that flexibility. I also enjoy the fact that I can implement labor into my project management to see our profit/loss in real time. Excellent service overall.

Pros

Quickbooks online has made it incredibly easy for me to run and maintain my business from an administrative standpoint. I am able to manage my business from an iPad, which gives me the freedom that I need to move around. It is easy to use with an incredibly intuitive user interface. I can track payments, invoices, project management, etc. I will continue using this software.

Cons

I do not particularly like the Quickbooks mobile application. I've found that it lacks features or is harder to navigate than the online platform. I'm able to pull up the online platform from my iPad, which is the direction I tend to go when using Quickbooks from a mobile device. I wish the mobile application more closely resembled the online web platform.

Vicki F.
  • Used for 2+ years

Payroll Service for Small Offices

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

I have not had any problems with quickbooks payroll at all. I would recommend this service to other businesses. I also found them to be cheaper that the other payroll companies out in the market.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. Has all of the options we need for tracking deductions, types of pay, vacation accruals, 401K, flexplan deductions, etc. Online check stubs for the employees. They can just log on and get a copy of their paycheck. They automatically receive an email when the check is ready to review. Easy data entry. Quickbooks takes care of all of the Federal and state filing forms and payments. If you use Quickbooks for your business you can set it up to automatically transfer the payroll to your general ledger. Saves time and prevents errors.

Cons

If you don't start out using this software with your quickbooks when you first implement - you are not able to keep your payroll history. If you need to convert from one software to another - I would recommend doing it at the time of your physical year.

Ruben M.

Customer Service

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Quickbooks Payroll has been easy to use. We just recently started using Quickbooks for payroll. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have switched along time ago. I do not like change much, so if it works why switch. Quickbooks has been working well for our business.

Pros

The software is extremely user friendly. I love the simplicity of it. And When I have an issue chatting online instantly is amazing. Today I had an issue with our address since we moved our office and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing. He was genuine in asking how my day was and very understanding and friendly. He took care of my issue and made sure it would not come up again.

Cons

In the 5 years that we have been with quickbooks there is really nothing bad I can say about the software. It has been great for our business.

Sarah L.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

QuickBooks Review

Reviewed on 14/02/2020

Personally I like quickbooks for the most part. My biggest issue is when I do call customer service for something I always get a different answer to the same question. It seems like most of the customer service reps don't actually know so they tell you what they think is right. It has been so frustrating that if [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] hadn't helped me I would have seriously considered another avenue then keeping quickbooks. I spoke with 6 different people about a corrections case and every time I was given conflicting information to the same question. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was the only rep that has really known what he was talking about and took the time to call me the next day and resolve the issue while also providing with the email to verify he was correct. He did a great job and i truly appreciate him. The res of your reps I have spoken to since March really don't seem to know and when I mention that they are providing conflicting info they blame it on "oh well sorry that person was mistaken." That is not acceptable.

Pros

The ability to run payroll efficiently, early and make edits before payday if need be. Also printing previous pay checks and payroll summary is very helpful

Cons

some of the reports are more complicated than they need to be and the credit card sync is not fluid. it creates too many duplicates when there is a business credit account with multiple cards on the same credit account.

Agnieszka W.
  • Industry: Insurance

QuickBooks Payroll Review

Reviewed on 28/02/2020

Good but the items above have to be corrected for us to be completely satisfied.

Pros

We use the Intuit Full Service payroll. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful the other day spending many ous on the phone with me in efforts to correct our issue.

Cons

There are two CONS I want to mention. Both of them do not have to do with the service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided.
1 - it is very difficult to get a hold of a representative on the phone. We have desktop version of Quickbooks. The Intuit Full Service payroll advertises we should use a feature embedded in Quickbooks online to call speak to a representative. We do not have that option as we do not use the online version of the software. This needs to be attended to. No one wants to be on hold for 45 minutes to be able to talk to a representative.
2 - the IIF file import form Intuit Full Service payroll to desktop Quickbooks has a flaw. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I spent hours the other day talking to Quickbooks desktop people and although they found a fix, it was just one-time fix. Please, refer to the service ticket [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I were working on for details. This also requires immediate attention.

Theresa W.

Customer Service

Reviewed on 19/02/2020

Overall it has been easy to use

Pros

Online customer service features/chat option and being able to integrate with QuickBooks software.

Cons

Some of the updates can be frustrating as well as the importing features (lost files, duplicate files, etc).

MIP Fund Accounting

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Recommendation

MIP Fund Accounting
Anne R.
  • Industry: Automotive

#CJM

Reviewed on 23/03/2020

It's very easy to use and support are easy to contact and are very helpful.

Pros

We use Tsheets as well to integrate with QB payroll and i find the process to be very easy. Processing payroll as well as the cut off times are easy and excellent for our business.

Cons

The reporting on payroll is not sufficient, for instance, being able to run customized reports has not been easy. It would also be great to be able to have a secondary payroll user that doesn't have access to all the accounting as well.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

It was simpler to switch to given we mainly use quickbooks for our accounting purposes.
Paul A.

Affordable, full service payroll

Reviewed on 01/03/2019

As an Intuit ProAdvisor, full service payroll is an added value to the reselling of a discounted QuickBooks Online account. As an additional service to my retainer clients, I can process their payroll on any interval they choose, and I can handle any type of compensation arrangement they have with their employees. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes and I can do it all effortlessly through the mobile app. And since the ability to pay independent contractors via direct deposit was introduced, my Bookkeeping clients love the fact that they no longer have to worry about writing out checks to their contractors. Filing Forms W-2 (for employees) and Forms 1099-MISC (for independent contractors) is a breeze at the end of the year and paying all their quarterly payroll taxes takes only a few minutes every three months.

Pros

Cost is much less expensive than any payroll services company. Direct deposit payments, employee portals, Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC filing, quarterly tax filing, electronic tax payments, direct deposit payments for independent contractors, powerful and customizable financial reporting, easy collection of Form W-9 information, reliable mobile app for process payroll from anywhere, support for multiple pay rates, benefits and withholding support, and more.

Cons

QuickBooks Payroll is available for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts. With QuickBooks Online, you are dependent on the availability of an Internet connection at the time you wish to process payroll.

Xena B.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

effortless book keeping

Reviewed on 30/08/2018

experience with payroll is really cool, the software actually calculate the holdings and make life easy for me, definitely a robo accountant that i don't have to pay a salary to.
Over all experience : just love it and wish i had it from the beginning of my business. For new users, make use of support. Don't hesitate to call , ask questions , ask again if you have to they will walk you through it. Like i say be dumb and learn it . take the time to do so because the end result is amazing . knowing your finances is straight can save your life. aka....sleep well .

Pros

it keep track of your income and expenses by simply attaching your bank account.
almost does your tax return. lol
save a lot of time doing your data entry thus cost effective, no need for a special person to enter all your receipts etc
keep correct info on all money related transaction and balance your check book , can keep your spending and saving on check. I can make adjustments by just looking at my balance sheet. almost cool for idiots to use. :)
perfect

Cons

if i made a mistake and had to go hunting for the problem, but i can just call up support and let them know ( how stupid i was ) and they just fix it. so not really a con.
for invoicing however , can take a little polishing up especially if i am doing an estimate and need to send it out, i must be extra cautious.

Laura H.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Quickbooks Payroll Update removes customization abilities

Reviewed on 05/08/2021

Over the last 4 years of I have enjoyed the way Quickbooks works with my bank transactions and credit card transactions. I like the variety of reports that can be created and the ease with which bank accounts can be reconciled but the latest updates to payroll have made it impossible to make customizations and has made Quickbooks boss of my payroll. I should not have to have permission from my software provided to make changes to my company's business.

Pros

I have enjoyed the simplicity of using Quickbooks payroll for the last 4 years but the most recent update has made it much more difficult to use. I can no longer make any customizations on my own. I can not exempt employees from taxes we as a church are exempt from paying. I have to call customer service to have all customizations made by them.

Cons

No ability to customize payroll exemptions and no ability to override reminder notices. Our accountant files all of our payroll reports but Quickbooks does not allow to make the tasks as completed if you have not completed the task with their system. I have to call and ask them to archive (even they can not mark them complete) the reminders to remove them from my Home Screen. I am not hiring Quickbooks to be my accountant but to be my software provider and I resent them placing requirements on my use of the system.