DbVisualizer

66 Reviews for UK Users

Genuine B.

Game changer!

Reviewed on 30/08/2021

Mainly data collection from our standalone systems, to support advanced data analytics and reporting.

Pros

DbVisualizer was a game changer for us when we were evaluating expensive products to do data collection. It provided as with cost effective options to collect large amount of data effortlessly.

Cons

None that I can think of. It worked great and met all our requirements.

Stephen B.

DBVis for Analysts

Reviewed on 16/02/2022

I've had a great experience using this product. We continue to use it, even after 4 years.

Pros

I think the software is very easy to install and get going quickly. I helped choose the product for my team and picked it over many others, even the free ones! It works great for querying and updating data.

Cons

The free version is good but lacks a ton of power. You have to upgrade to the pro version to get most of the functionality that an analyst team needs.

PostgreSQL and DataGrip

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

Needed a better SQL UI client.

PostgreSQL

Reasons for Switching to DbVisualizer

It was cheaper, easier to get a group license and a bit more user friendly for database setup.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Fullt functional multi-platform database client

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

Overall DbVisualizer has become a staple in my toolbox because I am able to access different platform databases without having to switch between the vendor-provided tools. It has many of the features that I need and would gain by using the other tools.

Pros

The ability to connect to a database-independent of platform from a single tool is the biggest reason for my use of DbVisualizer. The tool provides a single tool that can query or inspect the database structure.

Cons

There is not much to dislike about the tool, but it would be nice to have the option to export to Excel. The export feature is something that I do use regularly and being able to get data into Excel for business users to consume would be helpful.

Paul M.

Best SQL Workbench tool that you'll find

Reviewed on 27/08/2021

I do a lot of experimentation using DbVisualizer. It allows me to easily modify database schema, load new 'experimental' datasets, and then run queries against them. (Hence, if I had Python scripting in DbVisualizer, I could do everything in there and I would only ever use DbVisualizer).

Pros

It's easy to connect to databases, easy to manage and query them, it's simply a fantastic tool for anyone who frequently interacts with databases. I use it in preference to the database vendor's own tools - I use one tool to rule them all :^).

Cons

I haven't come across any yet. But...if I had a wish list feature that I could add to DbVisualizer, it would be support for something like Python scripting within DbVisualizer itself. That would give me the perfect tool.

Marcos S.

DbVisualizer Ease of Use

Reviewed on 27/08/2021

It my opinion it’s an excellent product.

Pros

The ability to reverse engineer the objects is most important.

Cons

I have not discovered anything yet. I use it for postgres.

Powerful, flexible & verstile

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

Since 2015, I've been using DbVisualizer in order to work, primarily, with Salesforce. Since then I've also used it with Sqlite3, PostgreSQL, MS SqlServer and others. The Pro version is especially handy due to having the ability to open as many SQL (and other) windows as necessary. Once I used the macro abilities for ETL type of work and found that to be easier than expected. Overall, a solid, worthwhile tool.

Pros

Interfaces with any database I've attempted to use.
Extremely useful with Salesforce (assuming availability of an appropriate JDBC driver)
Easy to discover schema, save schema, duplicate databases for multiple environments
Shows all data in a specified table
Data exportable and importable as CSV

Cons

Sometimes, setting up a new database connection can be a little tricky. Admin must know the options.

Valentyn V.

Everything you need to work with any SQL database

Reviewed on 27/08/2021

I use DbVis for database administration tasks (create users, roles, database objects) as well for writing SQL queries and run complex data analysis.

Pros

It supports almost all SQL databases, which have jdbc driver.
As a person who works with 10th of different databases, I can organize connections and all my scripts properly.

Cons

It could consume less memory, but it's written in Java, so I can not expect that much.

DbVisualizer really does the job!

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

Greatly appriciate the software, have been using it for the last 8 years on and off, and I wouldn't be without it when handling databases

Pros

I like the GUI and the way you can manage multiple databases in a click!

Cons

Double clicking on the database should start the run SQL command window rather than showing connection information of the DB

Djordje M.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

DB Review

Reviewed on 29/08/2021

I'm using in every day basis and I'm really comfortable using it.

Pros

Export feature is awesome. SQL editor is good and helper comes to hand. Live data edit etc... Just love DbVisualizer.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like this much. Like I said I'm very comfortable using this software.

Review of DbVisualizer

Reviewed on 09/03/2021

DbVisualizer is one of the best multiple database management tools. I use it to manage, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, DB2, Oracle, and H2. Really nice to be able to use one interface to address all these different databases.

Pros

Support for so many different databases!

Cons

I don’t like the new taskbar icon. It washes out a bit.

James W.
  • Industry: Legal Services

One of my "Must Have" Tools

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

Pros

I've been using DBVis for about as long as it's been around. I recall using it back around 1999. This product has continued to evolve and improve, which is why I continue to subscribe to annual updates. The greatest benefit I've gotten from the app is a single platform providing access to any data source having a JDBC driver (which is probably near all of them) and that exposes those differing systems in a common and consistent way. There is absolutely no noticeable lag or buffering or constant cache updates like I see with another product.

Cons

Prior to about 2017 I'd have very little to say here. Around that time I began using a programming editor, JetBrains IntelliJ Ultimate. Part of that software is their full DataGrip application. Somehow, they've got the edge when it comes to code completion and object introspection. The responsiveness within the UI is so much quicker and smoother than when I enable auto-completion in DbVis.

Dominik H.

Long time users review

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

Very helpful on my day to day usage as java backend developer. A lot more features the small IDE plugins for DB access.

Pros

The functionality, at least of the Pro version, is absolutely fantastic for me as Java developer mainly for backends and data persistency layers. The huge number of supported databases matches with every of my project requirements in the past. The ability to export (part of) tables and whole databases into SQL and a few other formats was very helpful. The content assistent of the SQL editor reduce the need for writing all those verbose table and column names by hand.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to find the right option within the preferences for a given feature.
And queries with large result sets sometimes make the application hang and one has to restart the whole application. But afterwards it's possible to decrement the max result size and run the query again.
The content assistent could learn more about the current scope in order to provide more options for auto text completion.

Michael S.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Fantastic database tool for software professionals

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

DbVisualizer has helped me in my work greatly for many years. I believe it's been a decade or more that I've been using it. I've tried other database tools, but in my work, no other software is as comprehensive and quick to use as DbVisualizer.

Pros

My favorite three things in DbVisualizer are 1) variable replacement and 2) inline export functionality. The time I save exporting my results as a CSV as the query is running is super helpful! It happens right inline with my scripted queries using the @export command and its settings. I love it.

Finally, 3) the documentation is great. I can always find what I'm looking for with the online documentation, when I need it.

Cons

This is a user preference issue, and just my opinion:
The theme (colors, fonts, etc.) options changed with the last version on Mac and I would like to be able to use the original theme from earlier versions. In fairness, I haven't spent the time to investigate if this is possible, but the 4 or 5 themes you are given as startup options are not great, to me.

Johan A.

Everyday data manipulation tool, including weekends

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

I've been using DbVisualiser for many years and I've never felt the need to consider another tool for my database needs. I use this professionally as wellas for my hobby projects and DbVisualizer is light enough to be used at home and strong enough to handle extensive reports that I do at work (and export them to excel )
Over the 10+ years I've contacted support and have always had a prompt response and very qualified help.

Pros

I use this toll with everything from H2 embedded databses to Oracle production servers and the thing I like most is how I'm given the best support for all of these databaseses/vendors .

Cons

Whenever I have run into "limitations" in this product I immediatly consider if the thing I'm trying to do is a "good" way of doing things or if there is another way that will work with the tool and also be maintainable.
(having a 30000+ lines of pl/sql-script might not be the best way to do things anyway)

Michael S.

Great Product...Easy to Use!

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

Overall...great experience. Really like working with DbVis!

Pros

Really like the ease of use. It's reliable, dependable and just a workhorse to query your database. Like the fact that the updates are easy to install. When I have a question and/or a problem that needs resolution, there are lots of resources available to help.

Cons

I did have a problem once that was especially challenging and difficult for me to bring to resolution, but eventually I was able to solve it. An upgrade stalled midway through that just would not successfully complete the installation process. Customer service was able to help me identify that the install was hungup and expecting the latest version of other software on my laptop. Once that was updated the install process completed successfully.

Charles D.

DB Visualizer

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Excellent; Support is first rate and the online manual supplies practical examples for scripting or the use of variables.

Pros

Ability to connect to almost any ODBC/JDBC compliant data emgine. Ease of using either tabs or multiple SQL statements in a single tab. Ability to import data from desktop to remote data store. Ability to do an explain/execution plan ( if db engine supports functionality) and get a relative idea of data paths for a query.

Cons

Lack of "find/attribute help" when writing a query or SQL statement. Many tools provide "bubble help" of attributes as you type.

Randy C.
  • Industry: Photography

A great tool for multitasking and auto scheduling numerous databases

Reviewed on 21/10/2020

Pros

DB visualizer is easy to use and easy to implement. The ability to output data and auto-schedule queries is great for increasing productivity.

Cons

The documentation can be improved through the use of better samples.

Nick C.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Long time user and fan of DbVisualizer - Great tool.

Reviewed on 09/03/2021

Having used DBVisualizer for more than 10 years, it is my 'go to' tool for Database mapping and exploration, direct querying and query building.

Pros

SQL History, Format SQL, SQL Preview, View data, Explore tables, Generic connection support, Search function.

Cons

There is not much to dislike. This product saves so much time over other products, and there are functions that I haven't even got to using yet.

Tim L.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

The gold standard for multiple database management work.

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

I have yet to find a tool that works like DbVisualizer for my multiple database work.

Pros

It is the best product on the market for multi-platform database management. A single interface for all the major databases. It saves me countless hours when working on different platforms. The spend to delivery is why it is my primary tool. The export tools are solid and provides for ease of cross platform work.

Cons

The challenge with being the best for all platforms is that it also comes with its challenges regarding "explain plans" for database optimization.

Cindy H.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

DbVisualizer is a great product for the money

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

Pros

I love to be able to open multiple tabs, to save my database commands by functionality, and the ability to view database tables and columns.

Cons

Sometimes queries are very difficult to stop and I have to go to AWS to check if they are still running and / or manually kill them.

Rob B.

DB Visualizer is My Choice For a Broad Number of Engines

Reviewed on 10/03/2021

Pros

This product is easy enough to use that I have even configured it for non-technical customers to allow them to easily browse and even edit data. There is some setup in those situations, but it is minimal (create the connection)

Cons

I love this product. I cannot think of anything that I am not happy with.

Edward M.
  • Industry: Food Production

Great Product

Reviewed on 01/11/2020

I have been using this product for over 5 years. I searched for a long time, tried many other products but once I found DbVisualizer my search was over. I even prefer and use this over MySQL’s Workbench.

Pros

This is my go to product for dealing with our MySQL instances which host our data warehouse. It has everything I need and it is simple to use. I do not think I have ever referenced the help for DbVisualizer.

Cons

I would like to see the ability to deal with user accounts and permissions added.

Dan K.

Outstanding product

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

This consistent interface provided by DBVis as we are constantly querying multiple databases from different vendors has made it easy to deploy and provide consistent examples to our user base.

Pros

quick storage of past query results is really helpful in determining what did and didn't work well previously. While script storage is possible, that has been time and again one of my go to resources.

Cons

I haven't really found any downside to the product yet.

Mauri S.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

The only professional software that I'm ready pay from my own pocket

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

I can access Microsoft SQL server, Postgresql and Mariadb/mysql with the same tool. It can found the metadata and data definitions of all of them. I can't even remember how many years I've used it but I use it for my hobby projects at home and my work projects at work. It is awesome.

Pros

I like the license, I can install this to all the environments I use to access databases and it is both allowed and possible.

Cons

I hate the "new" functionality of home-key. It doesn't get you back to the start of the line - unless you are "pasting".

Charles C.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Ideal if you need to deal with different RDBMS

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

Pros

The fact of using a single tool to access all the database types I had to deal with (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle and MSSQL Server).

Cons

I find the need of installing the JRE a bit cumbersome. On the other hand this makes the installation flexible, because it can be installed on different OSs with the same user experience.