OpenTable

4.7 (1,280)
Write a Review!
The best restaurant management platform.

(1,280)

Alexandra
  • Industry: Market Research

OpenTable Review

Reviewed on 07/08/2023

Love it! Would recommend to anyone because it has something for everyone!

Love it! Would recommend to anyone because it has something for everyone!

Pros

I use OpenTable at least once a week to book reservations for either myself & my boyfriend or a group of friends and I absolutely love it. The best parts of the application are that you can customize what you're looking for (this is specifically helpful for dates/times and different types of food), keep track of your reservations and save favorites. I also love that you can share the reservation with other attendees and that it populates directly to your Google calendar so you never forget what you've booked!

Cons

The only thing that I dislike about OpenTable is that it does not include all restaurants in the area. I know that this is not the fault of OpenTable itself and that these restaurants have not signed up to use the application - but it just makes the whole process of finding a reservation more limited/difficult, especially when in a new area.

Sumeet

OpenTable

Reviewed on 27/03/2022

Overall, it has been a great experience. We love working with them. It has reduced our phone calls for reservations.

Pros

Quick online bookings and schedule management.

Cons

Sometimes our restaurant or search queries don't work that well. Customers report we don't always show up in their search.

Christine

Issues that need Attention

Reviewed on 17/04/2024

good , I dont' want to change reservations management yet.

good , I dont' want to change reservations management yet.

Pros

Our restaurant name The Dock is used by several other unrelated venues and Opentable users often book with my venue but think they are booking in Florida or Pennsylvania, etc. This is annoying and blocks tables we lose at the last minute.
I have requested that Opentable resolve this simple matter - ASK WHAT LOCATION
the dinner wants. Thank you

Cons

$7.50 per booking is expensive.. Customers call and complain to me directly when they book on line and then cancel with short notice and are ANGRY! when we charge what they supposively agreed to pay if they cancel. We lose business and or we make diners angry. The POLICY needs to be MORE OBVIOUS to the diner, they will pay if they CANCEL SHORT NOTICE>

Albacross
Gladys

"Table for two, please" has never been easier

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

Overall, if you're a frequent restaurant diner, you must have Open Table. There are places that will tell you there are no reservations available, but Open Table updates in real time when reservations are cancelled and will even notify you if a table opens in a booked-out restaurant you are looking to dine in. It's also great when dining with a group, because you can filter by cuisines, group size, distance and other factors.

Pros

I like being able to have options by simply using my location to find restaurants near me that have open tables for my group size. No more going from place to place, waiting for a table. I also like the reminders that come via text and the ability to add the reservation to my Google Calendar.

Cons

They have a rewards program, but the app makes it unclear as to how to qualify or what the qualifiers are to earn rewards, but it sends you a notification on each reservation that you didn't earn them. It's really confusing, because the reminder that you're not earning rewards should then include instructions on how to do so.

Kelly
Kelly
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

A great reservations software for restaurants

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

Everything about OpenTable for Restaurants was an experience worth remembering. I never found myself getting lost or hung up on a problem with the software and creating reservations for the guests frequenting the restaurant. It did such a fantastic job with estimating the time that a table will be sitting to eat, depending on their party size, and adjust the schedule based on this. There would be reminders and notes when this would be approaching so I could let the customers know in advance so they didn’t have to come in and get upset. It allowed us to be able to go above and beyond to ensure our guests had the four star experience they were paying for.

Pros

Where to start when it comes to the best features of the OpenTable software. First and foremost, it is incredibly simple to pick up how to use it after only a few reservations have been made, it’s that great of a system. As a front of the house team member, it allowed me to view the entire floor plan of the restaurant on screen in a visual way that made the most sense to me, which made making reservations that much easier. When it came time to create the reservation, it was a matter of clicking on the proper icon from either a view of the floor plan or a view of the timeline. You are shown an overall view of the guests names and their party size as well as given an estimated time their party will likely be sat given their past visits to the restaurant and based of the average time of a party that size.

Cons

The software version I used has since been updated several times and I’m sure anything that was missing then has been added by now. As a user for multiple years, I strongly believe that there was hardly anything I can think of that was wrong with OpenTable. It helped me complete my job efficiently and all the guests seemed to enjoy their process of using it as well.

Vincent
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Love the App and Love the Rewards System

Reviewed on 14/03/2024

I have been using OpenTable for over six years (since 2018). I have accumulated wealth of points, rewards, and enjoy OpenTable VIP status and absolutely love my experince with this app. I only wish that more restaurants would adopt the app for their reservation system because it is so easy to use. Everytime I use to app, I always have my table waiting when I arrive at the restaurant. Beautiful!

Pros

I love that OpenTable is so intuitive and easy to use to book reservations. I have been using OpenTable since 2018 and have accummulated OpenTable VIP status with over 150+ booked and completed reservations. They have an awesome rewards system where you can redeem OpenTable points for cool things like Amazon gift cards.

Cons

I have one "if only" for OpenTable. If only. . .you could change the day of a reservation that is already booked, it would be GREAT! Currently, you can only change the time of the reservation. You cannot add people and you cannot change the day to an already booked reservation. You have to go in and cancel to start over.

Amaria
  • Industry: Restaurants

User friendly with good customer service

Reviewed on 16/04/2024

Great platform, user friendly for the restaurants as much as for the clients, very expensive especially if we want to compete with other restaurant who chose to spend money on the marketing add-ons.

Pros

Being able to manage reservation from anywhere, get data insights and the fact that anybody can quickly learn how to use it.

Cons

It is an expensive service, especially for a high volume restaurant.

Steve

Open table

Reviewed on 16/04/2024

Good, phone interactions have been more difficult when needed things adjusted they used to do it, now walk you through it, some times ain’t got the time

Pros

Control flow of restaurant, pacing, mobile phone app connectivity

Cons

The cost was initially enormous, but came way down when renegotiated we were going to switch to tock or other

Sylvie
  • Industry: Restaurants

Useing Opentable since it started or almost

Reviewed on 23/04/2024

I’m on both side, supplying Opentable to our customers and using it for my own reservations. It is an excellent product.

Pros

Change in habits, from using paper and pencils to technology. Better organization.

Cons

After 20 years using it.. I think that the license is really high.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great app for reservations

Reviewed on 25/04/2024

Pros

It’s easy to use and lots of restaurants are on it. Whenever I need to make a reservation, it’s the first place I check.

Cons

The only issue I’ve ever had is when trying to redeem dining rewards with a restaurant. Even though I booked a reservation with a restaurant that should have accepted my dining credit, they didn’t take it. However, OpenTable customer service handled the situation quickly and efficiently.

Kimberly
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

OpenTable is Imperative in this Day & Age

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

I find that OpenTable is a very good option for reservations and that my notes for special instructions are always followed. I also love the reward system. It is fun to build up points and receive Amazon gift cards after so many points are earned. It is also cool that they have the menus available to peruse before you arrive as well as special "experience" options that you can choose at some of the restaurants.

Pros

It is user-friendly, the calendar option is great, and the ability to invite guests is fantastic. I use OpenTable almost every day. I travel for work and use OpenTable to book all of my lunch and dinner meetings for my clients when possible. I love the rewards program, receiving Amazon gift cards every so often is always fun. I also really enjoy learning about new restaurants in the area I live in and in the towns, I am visiting for work or on vacation. The "experience" option is also fun and tells you a little bit more about each restaurant as you make your reservation.

Cons

The only two complaints that I have is that some restaurants pull open seating on certain days and that all restaurants so not participate in Open table.

Great to make online reservations

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

Pros

I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

Cons

Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

Rohan

Great way to manage restaurant reservations!

Reviewed on 10/03/2022

Pros

Very easy platform to use to find and book restaurants. You can search for restaurants by cuisines, location and availability and once you have made a booking you can also easily modify the booking by following the link in the email.

If you make a booking and don’t turn up they also send you an email to ask you to cancel if you cannot make it so that small businesses are not impacted by people not Turing up for their reservations. All in all a very easy to use product and this is the only software I use to book restaurants in my city. Shame it is not available more widely across other countries!

Cons

I can’t think of any cons except sometimes, it’s possible that some slots that are cancelled are not always available on open table but I suspect that is got more to do with restaurant updating their availability rather than open table

ilysse

Great for Reservations Online

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

OpenTable allows our clients to manage their own reservation systems.

OpenTable allows our clients to manage their own reservation systems.

Pros

As a website agency, OpenTable has been great to embed on our clients' websites to allow customers to make online reservations.

Cons

There aren't a ton of options in terms of styling the different widgets and browser testing for online reservations.

Yelp Guest Manager

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

The reviews were better
Wendy
  • Industry: Hospitality

OpenTable did more harm than good

Reviewed on 23/04/2024

It was terrible. Our issues were never reserved which created massive problems for us

Pros

It offered a reservation system that we wanted to use to manage seating.

Cons

It was never accurate. Our times didn’t correlate to the actual reservation times. Customers reservations were not populating on our side. It was a disaster and I would like to get the money wasted back

Resy OS
Alhassan
  • Used for 2+ years

On work trips, I launch OpenTable even before contacting my airport pickup service

Reviewed on 28/07/2021

New York can be a very busy and intimidating place for first time visitors. And my experience was no different; my first night out exploring was hellish. I had figured I could easily do a walk-in to any of the restaurants I had spotted on my way to my Air BnB and get to enjoy a meal -- well, they were all booked; and I had to settle for a pizza delivery service. God bless my hosts for stepping in the next day and introducing me to OpenTable for my first booking. I have never dined any other way on any my trips to cities served by OpenTable.

Pros

The best thing about making reservations on OpenTable is the vast array of dining locations available to you. We are able to easily find niche restaurants that offer the often-scarce African-ish menus we love to explore on trips and compare to what we are used to back home. Profiles of locations are also detailed enough to assist me in my elimination process so then I am very confident of my decision on where to eat when I eventually make it.

Cons

What I dislike about using OpenTable as a diner is the same thing that makes it good. The huge number of choices available can make deciding on where to book a bit of a headache

Brian
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Joined for free during a covid deal

Reviewed on 23/04/2024

Unfortunately I feel like it's mandatory now. But I long for the days before covid when we purposefully DIDN'T take reservations.

Pros

I liked that it was free for a while. It was essential when we had only 5 tables during covid mandatory outdoor dining.

Cons

You get used to having it, you customers get used to having it, and then the price seems exorbitant.

Zachary
  • Industry: Newspapers

The Only Real Reservation Option

Reviewed on 20/06/2021

Overall, OpenTable solves a real need and is easy to use. Would recommend it highly.

Pros

OpenTable is a phenomenal software that allows users to book and change reservations at various restaurants across the United States. It is, simply put, the go to reservation platform. The best part is that users accrue points and can redeem those points for rewards.

Cons

While redeeming points is a great idea in theory, in practice it is overly cumbersome and somewhat challenging to do, particularly for elderly users of the app. If there is one adjustment OpenTable could make, it would be to increase the ease with which users can convert points into cash.

Cynthia

OpenTable is the Industry Standard.

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

My experience as a hostess in a high end jazz club has been great. Once you get the drift of using Open Table, it's easy to use and implement, easy to change tables around and has been an excellent source of information because it stores history on any client that is entered into the system.

Pros

The features most liked are the customer history, ability to bypass the standard programming for a table and put in special requests. I also like the ease of which you can change a floor plan and number the tables to accommodate various special occasion situations. And I like the ability to no-show a client and they receive that response. Also like the ability to enter in special codes like anniversary, birthday, special event, gluten free, etc. This all helps us to give the client a superior experience.

Cons

The system is only as good as what is programmed into it. You have to learn the tricks and tips to move around the Open Table system in order to get past what it tells you upfront.

Charles
  • Used for 6-12 months

An expensive but ultimately necessary platform

Reviewed on 08/09/2020

Once you are able to get past the frustration around cost, it quickly becomes apparent just how powerful of a tool OpenTable is. It is necessary for any restaurant serious about attracting new customers and while there are competitors, I have not found any that can match the compatibility of their integration tools, nor one that has anywhere near the number of customers using the service. It is a must have.

Pros

The software itself is very easy to use and intuitively designed. The integration directly into the restaurant POS is extremely helpful, and the compatibility appears to be nearly universal with any system you might be using. They clearly have invested in the product and the user experience, both for the proprietor and the end user.

Cons

It doesn't come cheap. The initial start up fees are reasonable in my opinion, but the ongoing fees (per head, per seated customer) add up quickly. This can be tough when your repeat/regulars are using the platform, where you know you are essentially overpaying for their business, but regardless this truly is a necessary tool for any restaurant that wants to compete for business, and customers expect that you have it. There are also not too many other competitors with the same level of integration into POS systems, at least not ones that are able to drive this much volume to the restaurant.

Whitney
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Time Saver

Reviewed on 14/07/2023

Having an online presence through open table is key. Everyone uses this platform.

Pros

Allowing guests to book online and opening up space for guests to book online is super helpful and helps bring in extra $$$.

Cons

I wish that the desktop and ipad version were the same. I wish you could block tables on the dekstop version like you do on the ipad.

Marco

Awways room for improvement

Reviewed on 22/04/2024

I am satisfied with the service.> I have been using the product at my restaurant since early 2000.

Pros

Customer service is good. Immediate access to reservations.

Cons

Build a better Google Mobile Platform ( for Pixel Phones )
Improve the Table availability in shift settings. ( difficult to understand) .
The review should show the reservation

Corine
Corine

Great Way to Make Quick Reservations!

Reviewed on 25/04/2019

My overall experiences with OpenTable have been really great. I use OpenTable fairly often, especially with restaurants that I know require a reservation because it will be pretty much impossible to get a table without one. I rely on OpenTable and I have never had a bad experience. I never needed to worry that the restaurant I chose didn't get the reservation request. It is also good about giving you alternative times if the restaurant is booked for your selected times.

Pros

I love how simple and easy to use this software is. It is so quick and you can use it at any time. They let you pick any time and any amount of people and this works for pretty much every restaurant. I also like that the software sends reminder emails and texts to you about your upcoming reservation. There is also an option to add your reservation to your calendar. OpenTable is also very reliable, so you don't need to be nervous about whether or not the restaurant actually received your reservation request, especially because you get a confirmation.

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about this software. I don't really understand what the points are for that you get when you make a reservation. This software is free to use, so I don't really understand why anyone would need the points because it doesn't give you coupons or rewards to use at the restaurants.

Jessica
  • Industry: Hospitality

Briliant day to day reservations software

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

Pros

Opentable has a clear and easy to use software. It's very user friendly and I particularly love how intuitive it is with automatically assigning tables, drag and drop functions on the ipad version and how customisable the software is to suit your business.

Cons

The actual look and feel of the software seems a little outdated compared to direct competitors. I also wish there was more in-depth planning functions to assist with planning of bigger group bookings or events (such as pre-orders, run-sheets etc).

Leslie
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Best system ever

Reviewed on 12/05/2022

I’ve use the system for years and years and it has been the best thing next to you sliced bread

Pros

There are so many features with OpenTable that are productive to us using it from letting us know how many people are in the party if they have any allergies we can text them and let them know there are tables ready