Affinity Photo

Graphic designing and image editing software

4.9/5

Jeremy D.
  • Industry: Media Production

Stunning Value for Money

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Affinity Photo is a breeze to learn and use. I've been long-frustrated with Adobe's pricey subscription model and bloated Creative Cloud software that runs in the background. Affinity Photo released me from this yolk; it launches quickly, and I got it on sale with Affinity Designer (vector editor) for only $79 CANADIAN. Wow.

Pros

Affinity Photo gives Adobe Photoshop a real run for its money. It can do everything that PS can do, and the interface is almost identical, so longtime users won't find it difficult to switch. And there's no expensive subscription. A perpetual license costs the same as 1-2 months of Adobe CC!

Cons

There are some crucial keyboard/mouse differences that will cause confusion for most Adobe users, and the default text is just too small on Retina monitors.

Pixelmator Pro

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Photo

Adobe is expensive and bloated. Affinity Photo is quick and light.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Photo

I found Pixelmator slightly more confusing.
Abraham C.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Best Alternative for Adobe Photoshop

Reviewed on 02/11/2021

I am very happy and satisfied with Affinity Photo. I will recommend it to everyone I know who needs and uses photo editing software. The price is so cheap and the product is so great!

Pros

What I like the most about Affinity Photo is the price. It is so cheap and works perfectly for my photo editing needs. I am a graphic designer and also a photographer. The first-ever software I used was Adobe Photoshop but as time goes by I feel like I'm paying too much for the software. I looked for an alternative then here comes Affinity Photo. I bought it without hesitation and fell in love instantly! The price is hard to beat and works really well like Photoshop. That's when I decided to ditch Photoshop and learn how to use Affinity Photo.

It's really easy to use if you are already familiar with Photoshop. Everything is pretty much the same. You just need to watch a few tutorial videos then you will be confident enough to play with the tools available.

It's also not resource-hungry. It loads very fast on my mid-end laptop. I also like that they have a mobile app where you can use a stylus pen to brush or paint, but I am more used to using the mouse so I just use it on mobile for fun.

All future updates are also free so you don't have to be worried about getting left behind. Even if they release a new separate version, I will still support and purchase this gem. It can open PSD files so you can import (and also export) your Photoshop files. It was a no-brainer switch for me.

Cons

I wish it supports smart objects. I think this is the only thing missing from this app. I'm not sure about the other features but this is what I noticed when I needed it. I search through the internet and it was indeed not supported. Other than that, everything is excellent!

Dan S.
  • Industry: Automotive

Cheap and effective solution to editing RAW and PSD files

Reviewed on 23/06/2022

Had a great experience with Affinity I still use it from time to time for my marketing graphics for my car dealership. Definitely one of my favorite tools in my toolbox.

Pros

As stated in the title it is a cheap and effective way to edit RAW and PSD files on the go without paying for adobes monthly subscription fees. I like how it is customizable toolbars and you can setup shortcuts to hop to features you need to us. It runs very smooth on my desktop and laptop with mid-grade specs.

Cons

I feel some of the features are a bit outdated compared to photoshop, it takes a bit longer to do the same thing I could do in gimp/adobe.

Aleksandar D.
  • Industry: Media Production

Top class image editing tool for professional and home users

Reviewed on 26/03/2022

Affinity photo is powerful professional image editing software. Editing is very fast. It work on Windows and Mac platform, but it work on iPad too, which is excellent possibility. Every filter, effect, tool has numerous options for adjusting. There is no idea which you cannot complete with this extraordinary image editing tool. With integrated color profiles, RGB and CMYK, you can easily deliver your photos for online, to photograph shop or to press.

Pros

Speed and integration with Affinity Publisher - DTP tool, and Affinity Designer - vector illustration tool. Affinity Photo use non-destructive image editing and it is capable to work with RAW image format. This tool is everything you need for RGB and CMYK image manipulation.

Cons

Affinity Photo has no image organizing tools, so you cannot organize and manage your image collection. It may be problem for photographers with large image library. Preview and image selection from disk or cloud storage may be time consuming task.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Photo

I have no need for every Photoshop tools. And a price of Adobe suite is too high compared to Affinity suite price, and both do the same job with the same professional quality.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Photo

Speed, price and veratility of tools, Adobe Photo has the best mix of all.
Jeremy B.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Gotta Get Them All, Part Two

Reviewed on 30/09/2021

I’ve already said plenty in my review for Affinity Designer that I’d repeat here, and to clarify, I have many good things to say. But to expand on my glowification of this software and this brand, I love having access to a competent photo design tool that gives me unlimited use of layers, effects, fancy brushes, useful warping tools, filters, filters, and more filters, connections to free stock photo sites (even if they did end integration with Unsplash to save on costs), and even smart images for mock-up designs, all without having to pay for it twice, three times, four times, or whatever the going price is for other premium design tools made by companies that start with the letter A. I’m a writer, not a graphic designer. But with as much as I use Affinity Photo these days, I’m starting to wonder if that statement is still true. Love this app, love this brand, and I happily support any product they make, including and especially Affinity Photo.

Pros

To echo what I wrote in the pros section of my review for Affinity Designer, the main reason I bought this was for its integration with Affinity Publisher. I’m a writer, and I develop my own books, and I wanted a tool that could help me make them without a costly subscription. In my search for an alternative to Adobe InDesign, I found Affinity Publisher, and that search also led me to its two siblings, Photo and Designer. Having the ability to use Photo’s tools within an app for designing publishing interiors seemed like a no-brainer for me. But that only mattered if I’d actually bought Photo. So I did. And now I use it more than any other tool in my development library. It’s so easy to use, yet has so many tutorials available that even those who find it difficult at first can figure it out soon enough. It has also effectively replaced Corel’s PaintShop Pro as my go-to for inexpensive photo compositing. It’s become the primary reason my book covers look any good now. And the website I’ve been working on since November of last year: all page images come from composites made with Affinity Photo, and my site couldn’t look any better. Affinity Photo makes me look good, and I have no hair. If that’s not enough reason to get it, then the low one-time cost should seal the deal.

Cons

Again, to reiterate my cons from Affinity Designer (and this is fair because they both use the same architecture and share many of the same interface tools), I’m not experienced enough with even higher-end products (like Adobe Photoshop, for example) to make claims about the features they offer that Affinity Photo doesn’t. That said, I do know what I want Photo to do that it can’t do, and what I want it to do is to import Photoshop “actions,” which I think are just macros, so that I can buy the good ones off Design Cuts or some other online design resource and use them in my photos. In other words, I want it to do what Adobe Photoshop can do, but so far it can only do about 80%. That’s plenty, but it’s not everything. I want everything. I also want a pizza. We can’t have everything. (But I can have a pizza.)

Achille D.

Beautiful and powerful

Reviewed on 28/05/2022

We tried the app as soon as it was presented and shortly after we decided that, despite some missing features of the first versions, it would become our image editing software.
After years we do not regret the choice: the workflow runs fast and there are no limits.
The app is constantly developing also on the reports of us users.
No limits, very fast.

Pros

UI and UX are the best, not for nothing the software has earned some design awards.
Resources consumption is very good, so making changes and editing will be faster.

Cons

In my option, the very lost feature is a fully compatibility with Adobe PS smart objects: we can use embedded files as a an alternative.

Srdan P.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Affinity photo overview

Reviewed on 10/04/2022

Overall its an excellent photo editing tool that I use daily.

Pros

The app totaly integrates with the M1 chip power and the editing tools are way more precise than Photoshops.

Cons

It can be little tricky in the begining until you learn all the tools.

Hailey W.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Forget about Adobe Photoshop - Get this!

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

This is the best investment I have ever made! Please stop wasting your money on Adobe Photoshop's monthly fees and just get Affinity Photo and Designer.

Pros

This is almost identical to Adobe Photoshop but it struggles less in terms of loading and is a one time payment.

Cons

To achieve the full effect of Adobe Photoshop with Affinity software you need at least both Affinity Photo and Designer, Publisher goes beyond Adobe Photoshop's capabilities.

Gaia B.

Best value for money for professional photo editing

Reviewed on 16/05/2022

Pros

There are many pros to using Affinity Photo. First and foremost, it is a high-quality photo editor with a ton of features. It also has an easy-to-use interface that makes creating and editing photos a breeze. Finally, its price point is very reasonable given the number of features it offers.

It is almost comparable with Photoshop and a super reliable alternative. It's a great asset for every social media manager, content creator, and designer.

I'm still used to photoshop, but I can achieve almost the same results with Affinity Products.

Cons

There are some cons to using Affinity Photo. One downside is that it can be a bit more difficult to learn than other photo editors, so if you're not an experienced user, you may take longer to master its features.

However its still simpler than Photoshop, which is madness compared to Affinity Photo.

Abdo E.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Excellent image editor for architecture

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Pros

The program is so powerful either many features to improve real estate images. The pricing is fair.

Cons

It has too many tools that could take a lot of time to learn.

Goran S.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

My favorite software

Reviewed on 04/05/2021

I switched to Affinity Photo at the beginning of the 2020 when they offered a three month trial. After the trial I happily bought Photo (and Publisher and Designer even though I didn't really need them at the time) because I learned to love it more than I ever loved Adobe Photoshop that I switched from. Affinity Photo is the single best photo editing program and I will recommend it to everyone I come in touch with. Switch to Affinity and save hundreds of dollars a year!

My favorite part of Affinity software is that it is as capable as Photoshop but does not feel cheap like some other alternatives. It feels very well through through and the menus are all in the right places. The UI is comparable to Photoshop and it is very easy to make the switch. They even support .psd files in case you want to switch your current project over.

I use it to make graphics for the videos I make, and to touch up photos I take. In both aspects, Affinity is a champion.

Pros

Affinity Photo is the reason I don't bleed money on overly expensive programs that I only use a tiny portion of. It is inexpensive, reliable, and has all the features I ever needed!

Cons

I would really want more customization options for key bindings. My drawing tablet does not support the current hotkeys well, but that's not only on Affinity but on the tablet manufacturer as well.

Krita

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Photo

Adobe Photoshop is an incredibly expensive solution. They have their software bundled and offer it only on subscription model. Affinity is not only cheap but is a one-time payment only.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Photo

Krita seemed to be geared more towards digital drawing and I needed a solid photo manipulation app.
Johnny K.
  • Industry: Design

Affinity Photo

Reviewed on 09/07/2021

I use almost image work with Affinity Photo. This wonderful application can co work with Affinity Designer for every design work process like Pixel to Vector. Even need to fix and feature, Perpetual License and Low product price is Big merit. Most of all, the result of this products are good for serious project.

Pros

1 : No Subscription Policy. It's perfect perpetual license and price is low.
2 : Fast navigate and can handling big project. I have done one massive composition file over 10 Giga and it works.
3 : external plug-in compatible. i use neat image photoshop plug-in with affinty photo without any problem.
4 : Panorama and stack (include astrophotography) feature is excellent.
5 : Refine feature. This process made me spend less effort and time to make mask from fuzzy object.

Cons

1 : User can't change scratch disk. if you face "disk full error" you can't proceed until empty you system disk. Let user change or add external disk as scratch disk option need.
2 : Selecting layer from working screen is very frustrating. It means can't select wanted layer among overlapped layers with right click list checking. User must find in layer palette. this is horrible when many layer project.
3 : Little bit training need to using mask workflow. newbie user confusing when work with mask layer. also, I hope to let user enable transform separately with mask.
4 : No Batch RAW processing.
5 : No response to user's question.

Rogelio A.
  • Industry: Online Media

A photo editor worth the try... because you'll stay

Reviewed on 25/03/2022

I came from Photoshop to Affinity and loved it. I use this everyday to give my clients great products like online ads, photo retouches, photo editing, compositions... wow... all
And the digital drawing is such a big feature for me that I can create smooth lines at ease.

Pros

The price. It's inexpensive compared to Photoshop. But not only that, it's set of tools are top-level and give you all the fluidity and smoothness when working with photos that you won't miss Photoshop. And not only for photos but for graphic design as well, it lets you create Instagram ads or a cover for a document.
I also use Affinity Photo for sketching and drawing, I bought a set of tools and I've been using this for hand drawings for a book, great results.

Cons

Affinity is slowly getting it's hype. So, while we get there, you'll find that there are brushes and plugins for Photoshop all over the internet but not for Affinity Photo. So... we need to wait a bit.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts

Professional Quality, Budget Friendly Alternative to Photoshop

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

I can edit photos, create and manipulate graphic designs, as well as create SVG files for custom cut files.

Pros

As a long time Photoshop user I was looking for a replacement which would offer me a product with comparable features. Affinity exceeded my expectations and is offered at an amazing price point. Instead of paying a monthly fee I was able to purchase a lifetime license for all the functionality I needed plus some!

Cons

I wish there was a more active support after purchase. While there are videos on youtube, I ended up purchasing the Affinity Photo Workbook (hardcover) to use as a reference. Well worth it and still substantially less expensive than Photoshop.

Adobe Photoshop Elements and Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Photo

I had an old version of Photoshop and was going to have to switch to the monthly subscription. I didn't want to get stuck with a monthly expense so I began looking for an alternative. Affinity came highly recommended by a colleague.

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Photo

All the features I needed for a one time price rather than an unending monthly expense.
Deborah B.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

BEST PRICE, Quality and Ease of Use!

Reviewed on 09/11/2021

I bought this because I was working on a project that needed CMYK and it was taking a few months. The monthly cost of Adobe was annoying. Some months I wasn't even opening the program. Additionally, when I did open it I would need to wait (and wait and wait) for updates.

When I purchased Affinity it was a one-time cost and I still get the updates (which have been less frequent).

Additionally, I had a hard time learning Adobe. I've used GIMP for about 15 years and the only reason I needed Adobe was for the CMYK exported files. Adobe was complicated for me to learn even with a lot of instructions and tutorials over a few months. I was able to quickly learn how to use Affinity the tutorials are succinct and the software is brilliant!

Pros

Price: A One-Time Price (instead of a monthly subscription).
CYMK: This is a required color mode for most professional printing. The settings are simple and the output is gorgeous!
Ease of use: Much easier than Adobe to learn and to use.
Multiple app options (I am using windows desktop) and multiple languages!

Cons

Three Platforms: The primary CON is there are three software programs (Photo, Publisher, and Designer) from this company that are each sold and used separately. The good thing is, now we can toggle between them, seemingly on the fly making it easier to use different features on the same artwork. But, they are still stand-alone when it comes to updates, so each program will need to be updated individually, be sure to update each one when they have updates to download and install.

Barbara P.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Affinity Photo offers a complete toolset with a fair pricing model

Reviewed on 08/06/2021

I use Affinity Photo to edit rendered images generated on 3D modeling programs and to draw images later to be used on animations. I add lighting to scenes, work on composition, edit bright, contrast, blur, add some effects, use brushes and fonts to create original designs and art to social media. It offers a wide usage possibility with professional tools.

Pros

Affinity Photo offers a complete and professional toolset on photo editing and has competitive pricing that makes it the best choice when it comes to benefit-cost analysis. The software is available to all platforms and devices, including Windows Store (even though it was first made to Mac platforms.). After a single purchase, you own the software and can use it until it is discontinued by Affinity, which is a fair model of pricing to users that's not done by major competitors. Instead, other companies charge users monthly to get a license to use their product, which makes their product far more expansive than Affinity Photo. The choice of charging only once for their product is a very good reason people are migrating to Affinity, especially new users and students who can't afford a never-ending monthly payment.

Cons

Getting used to Affinity Photo's interface was a confusing process, it could be more intuitively friendly to beginners and users who changed from another product. Maybe adding a tutorial or some sort of guide would help with that problem.

Matthew E.

Affinity is a legitimate Photoshop competitor at a fraction of the price and no ongoing costs.

Reviewed on 28/07/2021

Pros

Affinity Photo is a competent alternative to Adobe Photoshop, and one that does so with a cheap initial purchase price and no ongoing subscription costs. I have found that everything I have needed to do in Photoshop can be done in Affinity, however sometimes the workflow is slightly different so taking a short training course it's definitely worth it.

Affinity seems a lot faster and less buggy than Photoshop in a lot of areas. There are also some places in which Affinity Photo is better than Photoshop. For example, Affinity gives a preview of the effect the tool selected will do to the image so you can get it perfect before committing to any modifications. Additionally, having separate personas that you choose depending on what you wish to do to the image helps cut down on clutter and allows you to focus better.

Cons

I haven't experienced any issues with the software, with the only negative being that if you are accustomed to another piece of software it can take some time to adjust. It can be difficult to find tutorials, and unless you are willing to pay money for a course there is a lot of trial and error.

Looking to try Photoshop? Use this instead

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

If you are a business heavily invested in Adobe, the cost of switching may not be worth it. For everyone else, Affinity can save you insane amounts of money. As a casual photographer, I did not rely on many of Adobe's enterprise-oriented features (and related price tag). I got it on discount, but even at normal pricing, Adobe cannot compete for casual users.

Pros

The photoshop-like interface made it easy to switch over as a casual user with very little learning curve

Cons

Having to update by downloading an EXE from a website rather than having an app like Creative Cloud desktop is an annoyance

Rachel D.
  • Industry: Photography

Affinity Photo User Friendly and Highly Recommended

Reviewed on 01/03/2022

I have used it for my photography and it meets all of my needs!

Pros

I love the section that allows me to edit RAW photos, it opens RAW photos automatically in the DEVELOP section. It opens RAWs of any brand of camera. Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc.

Cons

The software doesn't have a Lightroom like Adobe Photoshop.

Tony C.

A Dream Come True

Reviewed on 20/06/2021

I love how each of the Affinity applications work together. I seamlessly move from Designer to Photo and back.

Pros

Affinity Photo offers tremendous value. It is on par with Photoshop in all essential features, and surpasses Photoshop in many features. I love that it has a simple help feature that assists in using each tool. The absolute best feature? The wide assortment of export options.

Cons

Affinity could do a better job in promoting add-ons and feature extensions. I use Photo for work and hobby and I didn't realize it could be used masterfully for astrophotography until I saw a video online.

Give up that monthly subscription

Reviewed on 15/04/2021

I switched to Affinity after trying numerous image editing software options that would get me away from the monthly subscription model. Affinity best met 95% of the requirements I was looking for and over time I've discovered other ways to get it to do what I want. It's great for creating flyers, ads, and graphics to use on FB, Twitter, and Instagram

Pros

It's so easy to use once you get over the learning curve. Even after 2 years I am still discovering more and more things that I thought were not possible with this software

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve and some features do not work as I'd expect. I would also like other things implemented (adjustiblity per layer,etc) but I also understand that for the price point that's not something they are in a hurry to implement

Harish S.

All in one photo editing and great alternative to other industry leader app.

Reviewed on 11/11/2021

Works with raster and vector images. Layer editing, Strong brush selection and customization for drawing and painting. Affinity Photo is well worth the price!

Pros

Create new graphic images, as well as create SVG, EPS, PSD files. You can import from standard programs, such as Adobe, CSP.. . Have a huge range of export options.

Cons

Not much, would be nice if more free additional resources like brushes, assets.

Antonia C.

Starting now with editing photos? Start with Affinity

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

I'm not a professional graphic designer but with Affinity I am now able to do simple yet professional works. First of all it has a super affordable price: I hate this trend of subscriptions everywhere, for literally anything, it's expensive - especcialy if you dont' know exactly what you'll do with a software. Then it comes with a great collection of video tutorial, easy to understand even for me that I'm not english mothertongue; this allowed me to learn lots of stuff about photo editing and now I can manage every aspect of my job without evere asking to professional designer.

Pros

It's a real, reliable, professional software at a fixed (low) price.

Cons

My only quibble is that it takes a while to load itself. I have a Macbook Pro 2015 and it was once super quick, so recently I reset the entire Mac, on order to have it clean and fast: disappointedly Affinity still take long time to be ready.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Photo

Because it has a fixed price and not a subscription.
  • Industry: Design

Affordable Photoshop Alternative

Reviewed on 13/09/2021

Pros

I love how Affinity Photo has all of the features that a graphic designer needs to succeed. It has features comparable to that of Photoshop, but it's more affordable.

Cons

I have some issues with patterns. Sometimes there will be a thin line between two objects in a repeating pattern. I looked up the solution to it, but it would be nice if this wasn't an issue at all. It's a minor issue, but still an issue nonetheless.

• Industry: Publishing

A solid photo editor for your design arsenal

Reviewed on 04/11/2021

Never looked back since switching about two years ago

Pros

Affinity Photo contains most of the powerful feature anyone needs in their daily workflows and integrates seamlessly with their other softwares, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher, in a way that allows you to switch modes and work on design and layouts from within the same application in a breeze.

Cons

Feature set is more limited than the competition with lots of more advanced feature having been stripped out in favor of speed and utility, namely automated actions, AI image editing, etc.