Microsoft Access

Federico A.
  • Industry: Investment Banking

Great product for a Small / Medium Bussiness

Reviewed on 24/11/2021

My overall experience is very positive, I always use is when possible. Saves em a lot of time and allows me to perform world-class reports.

Pros

I am very impressed about the reliability in handling regular size databases, and the best part is that you can write your own SQL commands!

Cons

The only thing that I don't like is that it is not very powerful and gets slow with some big databases.

Google Analytics 360

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Access

Because I was able to have more reliability and work perfectly with different companies rather than using the IBM suite.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

The Microsoft suite is widely used over any other suite in the market.
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Microsoft Access is still relevant in 2021, but only just

Reviewed on 25/11/2021

MS Access is easy to learn; use and get started - which is why it was so popular. It’s fine for hobbies and things but I don’t recommend it for much more. It’s also good as a quick and dirty interface to SQL Server.

Pros

Access is more than just an RDBMS, it also allows you to build an application around that database. Mostly it is all very dated though, the height of its success being in the late 90s and early 2000s. It does make building a database quite easy and as long as you are using it for what it is meant for, it can still be useful. In my organisation we use it to give researchers read-only access to collected study and clinical trial data in SQL Server.

Cons

Access is no good for any kind of secure multi-user database, just don’t try. There are much better products out there for that. Really it works well only as a small desktop style database or a quick and dirty front end on SQL Server. I’m r member in the early 2000s when I first started working, a lot of businesses and government agencies used MS Access in ways it shouldn’t have been - they tried to use it as an enterprise system. Big mistake.

Badawy F.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Review about Microsoft Access

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

I have been working on Microsoft Access since my studies and after graduating from the Urban Planning Department, and I am still practicing it in my job, as it is the rest of the Microsoft group, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, among the programs that are indispensable in many fields.

Pros

• The main reason may be availability. Microsoft workplace licensing is a should these days and comes with it access.

• Most of the time, within the absence of an appropriate information environment, access is incredibly helpful for making a info, which might be simply achieved through an access database with easy queries to extract information. In addition, creating I/O forms makes life a lot of easier to navigate through the database it's very straightforward and intelligible that beginners can handle easily...Where and what will this operate do.

• the developer also can use it for his or her own news purposes, it's going to facilitate in data analysis and that they also can work on reporting.

• we will even have information during a table format that customers can simply understand. making entity relationship diagrams for multiple tables and creating sample diagrams is incredibly simple

Cons

• One of the downsides of the program is that with the massive range of information inputs, the applying becomes slower, that ends up in a rise within the time in extracting ANd process data.

• Typically it produces a mistake because of an sudden ending that I ne'er understood.

• It' not as climbable as alternative enterprise information solutions, though it will still do the task.

Maizy M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Good Database Tool

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

We've found we're able to store and query our data easily with Access. It's smooth and complete for a database tool. It works without issue - so no reason to look for something else.

Pros

Microsoft Access is Microsoft's professional level product to address databases. Overall, I think it works really well, as many companies have adopted and use it, including my own. I love how it's Microsoft supported, so you can have confidence in its reliability. It relatively easy to use. It does require knowledge of databases and SQL, which may go without saying. My workplace uses Access for data storage, and it does well in its presentation and response from querying.

Cons

Like a lot of Microsoft tools, they seems to be over blown with "bells and whistles". Microsoft Access definitely has many more options than I'll ever understand or know what to do with. This does give it a busy feel that can be intimidating, however, everything I've used with it has worked well.

Griffin B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Simple but not so Easy

Reviewed on 19/12/2021

Overall, I have used Access to allow multiple business users to store data to track executive comps given out in a casino environment. It has been useful to deploy to many end-users who do not have the knowhow to use more sophisticated data storage software, such as MS SQL Server. And it also has allowed us to harness automated macro scripts to generate timely reporting.

Pros

I like Access for its ability to store data in a localized way. Access obviously comes with many editions of Microsoft Office, so it's readily "accessible" and generally understandable. I like that it has a Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) component as well, so you can build macros and automate reports easily. I also like that it has a query-building interface for users who are unfamiliar with SQL language.

Cons

However, I do not like how complicated Access is to design. I consider myself a database expert (Information Systems degree) and I still don't exactly know how to make forms fully work together in Access. Granted, I never had any specific Access training, but it feels like it should be more intuitive to an expert--and it's not. The most annoying feature is that each object needs to be closed before you edit anything. Why they couldn't have engineered it to just update the object/table regardless is a mystery to me.

Cathy J.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Easy to use, great reports

Reviewed on 02/12/2021

We purchase and use Access to track the placement and turnover of containers placed at customer locations. Once the massive amounts of initial information was inputnI found it very easy to use and it is easy to train the transportation department to use. I can create quality reports monthly to provide my mgt team.

Pros

I am able to take a month's activity, in our case the placement and use of containers, and provide a nice tidy report to my management team. They love it and think I slave hours

Cons

It tend to slow down exponentially with the amount of data you input. Since this is daily for us it can be pretty slow and the end users in some departments have to do entries after hours.

Martin luther king S.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Impressive Data Base software

Reviewed on 07/12/2021

I have been using Access for many years now, and I have to say that it has been very useful and practical.

Pros

I like that this product delivered when its come to data storage and retrieval, it's very powerful in that sense.

Cons

Access is not too robust for team use, and very large databases.

• Industry: Design

Microsoft Access is good

Reviewed on 25/11/2021

Pros

Microsoft Access is easy to install and use, and where people can create a database for their needs, according to parameters that they will determine themselves.

Cons

Because the data is not on the internet to be available at all times, when people need it.

Yasser T.

Perfect as a database!

Reviewed on 31/12/2021

The overall experience is good but if the errors were solved it will be amazing.

Pros

Microsoft Access made making the database so easy for me! with its forms and data designs it is so smooth to use!

Cons

Microsoft Access sometimes have illogical errors and to solve them I have to reopen it.

Nathan Y.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

MS Access - User Review

Reviewed on 08/11/2021

Overall experience is great, I can still do most of my tasks in terms of running report and data analysis.

Pros

I used it frequently at work, the most I like about this software is relatively easy to use especially for beginners who wish to start learning how to run report for data management. Fairly speaking, users are required some understandings on table structure and database connections before start using this product. I found it interesting though as I have been using MS Access past 15 years with my current job, and I still find that there are many more to learn of this software.

Cons

One thing I came across the compatibility issue with MS Access, e.g. when IT created a brand new table with SQL, and I am using Oracle to connect the newly created table, and for some reason MS Access unable to open up the table although I can connect the new table without issue.
In short, I can use MS Access to connect the table, but can not open the table in MS Access. Our IT support team can open the same table with SQL though.
I have a feeling this may have something to do with Windows 10 settings, but I am not that technically enough to troubleshoot, unfortunately our IT support group couldn't figure out my problem even now.
The reason why I said I have feeling to do with Windows 10, it is because prior my company upgrade our OS to Windows 10, I am able to connect tables without any issues, and after OS upgraded and then IT created some new tables during new projects deployment, then I stared having issue with those newly created table.

Ian S.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Still the best product in the market

Reviewed on 23/09/2021

Access is a learning curve, but you can crib a lot of useful code from forums online.

Pros

You can design very sophisticated and feature rich applications with little or no development skills
if you do have VBA skills then you can do even more with it

Cons

there is almost too much information out there from developer forums but hard to find anything direct from Microsoft that trains you in Access or VBA development.

Zoho CRM

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

Access worked out a lot cheaper for us, as already included in other Office licences
Jermaine J.

Efficient data management software

Reviewed on 10/11/2021

Pros

Microsoft Access provides an economical and efficient method for storing your data. Users can manipulate and organize date by creating tables and queries to suit business needs. Another strong point of Access is that it allows you to link data which are related such as customers can be easily linked to their orders or products to suppliers.

Cons

It might take users some time to get familiar with the different features of manipulating data. Large amounts of data tend to cause the software to operate slower.

• Industry: Design

Practical for home or small business use

Reviewed on 19/01/2022

Pros

Great speed compared to Excel. Possibility of relationships between tables, which works very well. Custom reports. The possibility of building forms and transforming the database into a small system.
Easy integration via VBA with other Microsoft Office applications.

Cons

The impossibility of purchasing it separately. Not everyone needs all the tools included in Microsoft Office 365

Brian B.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Access for organizing my work

Reviewed on 29/10/2021

Pros

Fast data analysis. Allow to make tables with data cross very easy. Easy visual interface to perform querries.

Cons

You need a minimal experience on programming. Not for beginners. The software has some bugs when summarize tables.

Jill D.

Somewhat clunky interface, great data collection and reporting tool.

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

Pros

I have used Access over the years for many purposes, from employee databases to customer management to logistics and inventory tracking. My favorite feature was a combination of having all the data I needed in one place, and being able to customize the end reports to show and manipulate the visibility of just the data needed for myself or a supervisor. Instead of giving them a spreadsheet, I was able to give them a tidy report with just what they asked for, which made the bosses happy.

Cons

Access is, as its core, a data management tool. The very feature that makes it so awesome also makes it cumbersome - it can be really hard to move around a large database and get to the entry points you need. This is surmountable by building an entry form, but not for the faint of heart or the casual user, either.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

Access could handle more than Excel, but Excel is easier to use. We began to migrate lighter data needs over to Excel, and stayed in Access for the larger and more data intensive data collection needs.
Daniel S.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Everyday use

Reviewed on 12/11/2021

It's good if you need to handle a lot of data and make an analyse of it

Pros

The features when you learn how to use it

Cons

The complexity to implement it, needs a lot of practice

Dima V.

MS Access can do a notch better!

Reviewed on 03/12/2021

I did give a fair chance to MS Access in the past, even set up one of my clients' projects with it. I prefer other open-source database managers, much simpler to set up and use and they are free.

Pros

MS Access is great at setting up a database, I will give it that. It is relatively easy to set up the tables with their keys and to add and edit data. There is also a massive user interface with all the different features that MS Office products usually have - to some advanced users the potential of fine tuning may be an advantage.

Cons

The setup of the server was really tough. When I had to set it up on one of my clients' machines, it took me a couple of hours to figure out what libraries were missing. Was a tough cookie!

Another big con is that once the database is set up, its uses are mostly limited to only the proprietary software. There is a ton of integration and migration needed if you want to use it in a non-conventional, non-MSOffice way, basically.

I really prefer MySQL and MariaDB servers to MS Access, they are much simpler to set up and very easy and intuitive to use.

Gor A.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Microsoft Access Is a good source of data base management

Reviewed on 11/10/2021

I rate this product a 10/10!! Helped me with a lot of data usage!
But there are some cons for other users to try and learn this method, not for everyone patience required
This Application is similar to other products and is honestly easy to use just need some effort on your side.
still very happy!

Pros

An ease for management
Information found through multiple sources
Not much knowledge needed in programming

Cons

Small glitches during the software updates
complex reports
can't be used for different microsoft platforms

Elroy E.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

The perfect data management tool

Reviewed on 06/11/2021

Overall its an excellent tool for managing voluminous data. I would love for a feature to link different databases maintained on different computers but its still a 10/10 for me as it does what it was built to do.

Pros

I love the data mining capability, I use it to manage small loan balances as well as managing simple employee data. I love the query feature as it allows you to mine through thousands of data in a second. The primary key function really helps in preventing duplicated data.

Cons

At times the saved databases takes too long to open especially if the file is large.

Milos M.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great tool for database beginners

Reviewed on 11/10/2021

Pros

I like the way you can easy learn the most important things about database relationships.

Cons

Graphic interface could be improved with some features.

• Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Data analysis and Database programming streamlined with Microsoft Access

Reviewed on 08/10/2021

Have been using Microsoft Access as a part of the Microsoft suite, so the software is definitely tailored to such a scenario. Would appreciate if AI was also considered in version upgrades.

Pros

Microsoft access is a great tool for data access and analysis, its is robust and straightforward. With the right training, anyone can use this and put meaning to a vast range of data. There is availability of several tools and templates, and integration with Microsoft Suite is exemplary.

Cons

Not suitable for organizations who are responsible for analyzing large databases, as it has a finite limit. Additionally there is limited integration with other data formats.

Dwight D.

Excellent database

Reviewed on 19/01/2022

Pros

Great database management software. It allows for easy input and retrieval of data. Its perfect to turn raw data into information due to its excellent data mining functions. I can use a query to search for any set criteria based in the use that I have for the information.

Cons

It sometimes freezes when the database is too large

Ann F.
  • Industry: Plastics

Microsoft Access

Reviewed on 19/10/2021

Our company stores and uses hundreds of different injection mold tools for around 100 companies. We use this database to inventory them by an internal # we assign and we give it a description and location so we can go into the shop and find it easily.

Pros

It is very easy to look up data using the binocular feature.

Cons

When programing, it can be a bit difficult for beginners.

Nicole G.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Powerful and effective system

Reviewed on 03/11/2021

It is an effective and powerful system for data collection and its management. Easy to use and integrate, you don"t need to be an expert to be able to managing it.

Pros

Easy to use and integrate(SQL), not taking to much time. Also easy to download/export the data, this is something being done in our company on a daily basis and also by our customers. it is set for them as well to be able to download and extract their own data by following a short and simple process that allows them to point the data to other applications for their convenience proposes.
Inexpensive in relation to other systems and also offers the free option.

Cons

Data limitation,size specifically for high user database. the fact that is store in one single file can make slower the process of reports generation.

Jerone S.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

One of the best database management software

Reviewed on 30/11/2021

Pros

I can import files from excel, text or the web which saves me the time of creating or recreating a table from scratch. Data mining is easy and data redundancy is kept at a minimal with the primary key feature.

Cons

I would love a feature to link databases together.