Microsoft Access

62 Reviews for UK Users

• Industry: Mental Health Care

Perfect for Running Reports and Data Analysis

Reviewed on 19/05/2022

I can create quality reports monthly, and I can analyze a lot of data using it. It's helped me with all my clients' projects. Microsoft users should definitely consider this product.

Pros

It will save you time when creating a system that will only get used on one computer, enabling you to create reports in an easily accessible format. Reports and various forms are available, linked to a programming code using programming languages, and complex arithmetic operations executed using code stored in the application. Also, adding tables and linking them together is very easy.

Cons

Large amounts of data tend to cause the software to operate slower and it can't be purchased separately.

Jill D.

Somewhat clunky interface, great data collection and reporting tool.

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

Pros

I have used Access over the years for many purposes, from employee databases to customer management to logistics and inventory tracking. My favorite feature was a combination of having all the data I needed in one place, and being able to customize the end reports to show and manipulate the visibility of just the data needed for myself or a supervisor. Instead of giving them a spreadsheet, I was able to give them a tidy report with just what they asked for, which made the bosses happy.

Cons

Access is, as its core, a data management tool. The very feature that makes it so awesome also makes it cumbersome - it can be really hard to move around a large database and get to the entry points you need. This is surmountable by building an entry form, but not for the faint of heart or the casual user, either.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

Access could handle more than Excel, but Excel is easier to use. We began to migrate lighter data needs over to Excel, and stayed in Access for the larger and more data intensive data collection needs.
Kobus M.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Microsoft Access Review

Reviewed on 08/04/2022

It has been extremely helpful in managing our increasing customer base and billing.

Pros

"I love that you can quickly learn the most important things about database interaction."

"I've used it over and over again. My favorite thing about this software is that it's easy to use, especially for beginners who want to start learning how to report for Data Management."

"It's good for translating raw data into insights with its great Data mining features. I can use queries to query any criteria specified based on what I'm using the information for."

"I have been using Microsoft Access for 8 years to set up various databases used to manage our telecom platform and I find it very useful and make full use of the many features."

Cons

It is difficult to manage large databases and it is not possible to improve performance by using MS Access.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

It is easier to use and very powerful especially for creating queries, forms and reports.
Etornam T.

Microsoft Access: Good Database Management Software

Reviewed on 30/04/2022

Microsoft Access is easy to use and understand; provides a friendly interface for managing database.

Pros

Microsoft Access is a database management solution that is among the best. It has a very good user interface and is very easy to use. When creating a report, Microsoft Access is a great tool to use. It provides a lot of free customized templates to get you started.

The software is simple to operate.

Cons

Microsoft Access does not provide users any free trials and It's difficult to move around a large database.

Marie M.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Very useful data management tool

Reviewed on 10/05/2022

Pros

The most important thing about Microsoft Access is that it is inexpensive. Creating table from scratch might be technical but Microsoft simplify things with templates and each category has a demo video to help users get started. Another plus is that the platform has been around for decades and introductory courses taught from the high school level.

Cons

Setting up tables from scratch might require some technical knowledge.

Kerry F.

Access database software

Reviewed on 09/06/2022

It makes my job easier with several of the programs that our non-profit runs.

Pros

Able to print out many reports for our non-profit for the many programs that we administer.

Cons

Microsoft Access has a learning curve to it and it not easy to learn. I am sure that I am not using the software to its full potential but I can get it to do what I need it to do.

Joana mae N.
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

useful for every students

Reviewed on 03/06/2022

amazing, helpful and greatful

Pros

it is very easy to use in making forms specially to us as a student it s easy to manage it is very great.

Cons

personally and honestly there is nothing wrong about this software

Rafa¿ M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

still best desktop DB manipulation software

Reviewed on 14/05/2022

Still best app for data storage and manipulation compared to open office family (and Google Bigtable)

Pros

+ great wizzards (especially query wizzard)
+ quite fast in small DB (complex queries on indexed and non-indexed fields)
+ ODBC connectivity
+ great integration with other MS Office apps

Cons

- some ODBC drivers are slow, no matter how fast is the connection to DB server
- I miss "old school" Access 97 UI (was much better than current)

Tenzin D.

Beginner's guide to database management

Reviewed on 28/05/2022

Pros

MS Access was my gateway into the world of database. I like how you can build from scratch a DBMS that works for your need. In our case it was for a departmental library. You can integrate into other Microsoft products like Excel seamlessly.

Cons

I didn't like how MS Access if not available with the free version of MS Office. It limits users who do not have a paid Microsoft subscription.

Badawy F.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Review about Microsoft Access

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

I have been working on Microsoft Access since my studies and after graduating from the Urban Planning Department, and I am still practicing it in my job, as it is the rest of the Microsoft group, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, among the programs that are indispensable in many fields.

Pros

• The main reason may be availability. Microsoft workplace licensing is a should these days and comes with it access.

• Most of the time, within the absence of an appropriate information environment, access is incredibly helpful for making a info, which might be simply achieved through an access database with easy queries to extract information. In addition, creating I/O forms makes life a lot of easier to navigate through the database it's very straightforward and intelligible that beginners can handle easily...Where and what will this operate do.

• the developer also can use it for his or her own news purposes, it's going to facilitate in data analysis and that they also can work on reporting.

• we will even have information during a table format that customers can simply understand. making entity relationship diagrams for multiple tables and creating sample diagrams is incredibly simple

Cons

• One of the downsides of the program is that with the massive range of information inputs, the applying becomes slower, that ends up in a rise within the time in extracting ANd process data.

• Typically it produces a mistake because of an sudden ending that I ne'er understood.

• It' not as climbable as alternative enterprise information solutions, though it will still do the task.

Nathan Y.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

MS Access - User Review

Reviewed on 08/11/2021

Overall experience is great, I can still do most of my tasks in terms of running report and data analysis.

Pros

I used it frequently at work, the most I like about this software is relatively easy to use especially for beginners who wish to start learning how to run report for data management. Fairly speaking, users are required some understandings on table structure and database connections before start using this product. I found it interesting though as I have been using MS Access past 15 years with my current job, and I still find that there are many more to learn of this software.

Cons

One thing I came across the compatibility issue with MS Access, e.g. when IT created a brand new table with SQL, and I am using Oracle to connect the newly created table, and for some reason MS Access unable to open up the table although I can connect the new table without issue.
In short, I can use MS Access to connect the table, but can not open the table in MS Access. Our IT support team can open the same table with SQL though.
I have a feeling this may have something to do with Windows 10 settings, but I am not that technically enough to troubleshoot, unfortunately our IT support group couldn't figure out my problem even now.
The reason why I said I have feeling to do with Windows 10, it is because prior my company upgrade our OS to Windows 10, I am able to connect tables without any issues, and after OS upgraded and then IT created some new tables during new projects deployment, then I stared having issue with those newly created table.

• Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great for simple and mid-level databases

Reviewed on 16/04/2022

Whether you are an experienced programmer or a novice, Access is a great tool.
If you do not know SQL, Access can create queries for you. (not VBA though).
You can easily integrate Access with all other products - Excel, Txt files, SQL Server, Oracle, etc.
If you wish to dwelt deeper into programming - Access is a great place to start, after becoming more experienced, yo can start using SQL Sever, VB, Oracle, and databases and front end applications.

Pros

If you want a relational database, and don't have hundreds of tables, 100,000+ rows each - access is a database to use.
First of all it provides - Back End (tables), Front End (forms), Queries, and built in Reports.
if you have many users, you can split - Master Database that will only have tables, and other databases linked to it will hosts forms and everything else while being linked to the main database.
It utilizes SQL language and VBA so you can perform pretty much every command you need.
You can add any control on Form or Table level to verify what users are doing to prevent errors.
Regarding what I said about hundreds of tables - if you simply want to look through tables now and then, but not on regular basis, you can store data outside in large txt files, load them, an then remove. (For that using temporary copies will be most useful)

Cons

I've been working with Access for about 20 years, many issues I've seen earlier have been fixed.
Now if you wish to split a database, it can do it for you. Maximum limit for currency is not a couple of billions anymore (not a huge amount for Financial Companies)
My least favorite part is compacting. Database often becomes to large and needs to be compacted before it crashes. Compacting still takes to long, and sometimes database crashes while doing that.
I wish some king of automatic compacting can be done without asking the user.

Federico A.
  • Industry: Investment Banking

Great product for a Small / Medium Bussiness

Reviewed on 24/11/2021

My overall experience is very positive, I always use is when possible. Saves em a lot of time and allows me to perform world-class reports.

Pros

I am very impressed about the reliability in handling regular size databases, and the best part is that you can write your own SQL commands!

Cons

The only thing that I don't like is that it is not very powerful and gets slow with some big databases.

Google Analytics 360

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Access

Because I was able to have more reliability and work perfectly with different companies rather than using the IBM suite.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

The Microsoft suite is widely used over any other suite in the market.
Tammy S.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Integral part of our office

Reviewed on 04/04/2022

Pros

The way I can customize reports and queries to produce the information that I need in the format that I need.

Cons

Microsoft had said it was going to discontinue the program, so we changed before that happened and struggle with a different approach for two years before realizing they had changed their mind and kept it.

It can be challenging to format the reports, but I eventually figure it out.

Ian S.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Still the best product in the market

Reviewed on 23/09/2021

Access is a learning curve, but you can crib a lot of useful code from forums online.

Pros

You can design very sophisticated and feature rich applications with little or no development skills
if you do have VBA skills then you can do even more with it

Cons

there is almost too much information out there from developer forums but hard to find anything direct from Microsoft that trains you in Access or VBA development.

Zoho CRM

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

Access worked out a lot cheaper for us, as already included in other Office licences
Abid S.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Best Database Management System By Microsoft

Reviewed on 15/02/2022

I am using Microsoft Access from last 12 years for preparing foreign exchange returns and i always found it very helpful and full of amazing features. Being the member of Microsoft 365 suite of application the software is designed very professionally and easily integrate with other Microsoft softwares.

Pros

Microsoft Access can be use for creating forms, reports and queries and easily connect them with macros. It can also supports visual basic and user with advance knowledge and get maximum benefits out of this amazing software by Microsoft. We can also import or export data from Microsoft outlook, Excel, oracle and SQL server. The best thing about Microsoft Access is graphical user interface which allows user to easily understand the features and functionalities of this software.

Cons

The only con which i experience is to setup Microsoft access is tough and requires extra understanding of its features and functions.

Maizy M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Good Database Tool

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

We've found we're able to store and query our data easily with Access. It's smooth and complete for a database tool. It works without issue - so no reason to look for something else.

Pros

Microsoft Access is Microsoft's professional level product to address databases. Overall, I think it works really well, as many companies have adopted and use it, including my own. I love how it's Microsoft supported, so you can have confidence in its reliability. It relatively easy to use. It does require knowledge of databases and SQL, which may go without saying. My workplace uses Access for data storage, and it does well in its presentation and response from querying.

Cons

Like a lot of Microsoft tools, they seems to be over blown with "bells and whistles". Microsoft Access definitely has many more options than I'll ever understand or know what to do with. This does give it a busy feel that can be intimidating, however, everything I've used with it has worked well.

Manuel eduardo M.

The ease of use of Microsoft Access

Reviewed on 24/02/2022

As student of first year of systems engineering, the program microsoft access has been a perfect tool for learn and practice databases.

Pros

The platform is very friendly with the users who are beginners in the subject of databases. Like student of first year in systems engineering has been a good tool for start with the databases.

The interface is very simple, and the tools have easy access for users.

Cons

I don't see a lot of cons, because is program for beginners, and in my case i think it's good just to start, if we want something more professional there are more database programs.

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Access

To do more professional work.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

Because it has a simple interface.
Griffin B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Simple but not so Easy

Reviewed on 19/12/2021

Overall, I have used Access to allow multiple business users to store data to track executive comps given out in a casino environment. It has been useful to deploy to many end-users who do not have the knowhow to use more sophisticated data storage software, such as MS SQL Server. And it also has allowed us to harness automated macro scripts to generate timely reporting.

Pros

I like Access for its ability to store data in a localized way. Access obviously comes with many editions of Microsoft Office, so it's readily "accessible" and generally understandable. I like that it has a Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) component as well, so you can build macros and automate reports easily. I also like that it has a query-building interface for users who are unfamiliar with SQL language.

Cons

However, I do not like how complicated Access is to design. I consider myself a database expert (Information Systems degree) and I still don't exactly know how to make forms fully work together in Access. Granted, I never had any specific Access training, but it feels like it should be more intuitive to an expert--and it's not. The most annoying feature is that each object needs to be closed before you edit anything. Why they couldn't have engineered it to just update the object/table regardless is a mystery to me.

Jermaine J.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Efficient data management software

Reviewed on 10/11/2021

Pros

Microsoft Access provides an economical and efficient method for storing your data. Users can manipulate and organize date by creating tables and queries to suit business needs. Another strong point of Access is that it allows you to link data which are related such as customers can be easily linked to their orders or products to suppliers.

Cons

It might take users some time to get familiar with the different features of manipulating data. Large amounts of data tend to cause the software to operate slower.

Aria S.
  • Industry: Publishing

Best For Small Office To Enterprise

Reviewed on 26/02/2022

This tool is very helpful for me, specially for organizing files without the need of very high programming skills. Beginner to expert can use this tool in a very easy way to learn.

Pros

Database management functions make it easier for people, even beginner, to work with this software. There's no need for advanced qualifications to use this tool for everyday life.

Cons

Data synchronization sometimes takes longer than it needs to be

• Industry: Design

Practical for home or small business use

Reviewed on 19/01/2022

Pros

Great speed compared to Excel. Possibility of relationships between tables, which works very well. Custom reports. The possibility of building forms and transforming the database into a small system.
Easy integration via VBA with other Microsoft Office applications.

Cons

The impossibility of purchasing it separately. Not everyone needs all the tools included in Microsoft Office 365

Panashe M.

Microsoft Access review

Reviewed on 14/02/2022

Very excellent and the fact that its charged reasonable is good

Pros

Its easy to configure and use environment
The relationship drawing option is very handy in different product development
The option to set description in data fields is very useful

Cons

If they can improve the data security and also overall performance improvement of the ole objects its bit slow

Llanoi W.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Microsoft Access Review

Reviewed on 31/01/2022

Pros

Microsoft Access proved to be an easy to use and convenient software in storing large amounts of data. The ability to mine through data through the use of simple queries came in handy. Additionally, through the use of primary keys, duplications were next to impossible which was super helpful.

Cons

It tends to freeze, especially when running queries.

Carlos hugo martin C.

Experience with Microsoft Access

Reviewed on 27/03/2022

It has been used for the generation of the billing system, as well as for the generation of documentary control reports.

Pros

It has tools that allow you to save time when generating a system that will be used in a single computer, in addition to being able to easily generate reports.

Cons

Large databases become difficult to maintain and manage, and there are no options to improve the performance of the database from within MS Access.

SQLite

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Access

SQLite needs other tools to be able to generate a user interface as well as to generate reports.