DigitalOcean

Cloud management and application development software

4.7/5
4.7/5
4.8/5
4.6/5

59 Reviews for UK Users

Adeyeye G.

Adeyeye George Review

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

Honestly I will use digitalocean till the earth collapse or me collapse.

Using digitalocean is like eating cookies... It's great using digitalocean.

Pros

The Load Balancer is a live saving. It's a great tool for distributing traffic's across servers.

I love the server monitoring. It gives us good insight on what's happening on our server.

VPS deployment is as fast as a lightening. Within a twinkling of an eye I can deploy multiple servers without delay.

Cons

The feature am expecting digital ocean to add next is using multiple IP on Cpanel. Like controlling two servers directly from 1 cpanel account.

Lazer P.

Intuitive Tools for Creating Infrastructure

Reviewed on 01/10/2020

I've been really happy with DigitalOcean. I started out just messing around with a small side project to stay sharp. I'm now running a server for an API, another server for a frontend app, and a managed DB that the API pulls from. Connecting these was easy and connecting my domains to different servers was easy. I have loved working in DigitalOcean and I love that the prices are low enough that I could play around without any real intent of making a profitable project, and that breathing space let me run the servers and resources for long enough that I actually have something up and running pretty nicely with just a few hours here and there to tinker.

Pros

- Great UI - you can do everything in the browser without using CLI - create new web servers, managed databases, bucket storage
- API matches Amazon S3 - familiar methods of interacting with resources
- Pricing is great, 200GB bucket storage runs $5/mo, Servers start at $5 month, managed DB at $15/mo.
- CDN for fast delivery across the globe
- Easy to understand your bill and not get bit. You can create an image of your server and then kill the server, so you are not being charged server prices ($$/month) and just image prices (pennies/month). This makes it easy to put a project on hold and come back in the future without paying a ton to host something that's just waiting for you.
- One-click to spin up a provisioned Ubuntu droplet, LAMP stack or dozens of preconfigured server images. I especially liked this feature because I'm not a linux genius and getting Apache and PHP setup can take me hours of tears and frustration. Instead, you can just select an image that interests you and 30 seconds later you have a server ready to go.
- Floating IPs let you lock in a permanent IP address even though you may start and stop servers and their individual IPs might change
- Domain management. This is a key feature. If you move your nameservers to DO, it's stupid easy to create subdomains and point them to your DO servers.
- Easy to resize/upgrade a server, add RAM or disk space.
- Tons of Q&A, any time I had a question someone else had already asked it and received a clear answer.

Cons

There is the occasional UI bug, and sometimes I get an email about a region having some temporary hold on creating new servers. Nothing that lasts more than a few minutes, and usually its something like "We are temporarily disabling the ability to create new servers in the NYC3 Region" but existing resources don't go down and if I desperately needed to start a new server I could just use any other region and move it to the NYC3 region later if necessary.

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Amazon is a little more expensive and their UI is not terribly friendly or pretty. I know that seems silly, but in DigitalOcean the UI explains itself and I always know where to look for what I need. Amazon seems like a really busy UI. Pricing is easy to understand and I felt more confident with DO that I wasn't going to get a surprise bill.
Piotr P.

A good place for your VPS

Reviewed on 06/12/2021

We use DigitalOcean for a couple of years now to maintain our websites. It keeps running with no issues, so we are pleased with that outcome.

Pros

Very easy to create, backup and replicate VPS servers. Everything is in the right place and the web panel is very user friendly. Pricing for newly created servers is very clear and fair.

Cons

Sometimes you need to get to the console, do the research and set up something, but it's VPS so you kind of agreed to that

OVHcloud

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean was recommended by our DevOps

OVHcloud

Recommendation
Reece S.

Solid But Expensive

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

A solid experience but the pricing is far too high. However if budget is not a problem for you, definitely check them out.

Pros

This company does offer some good services and a decent user interface. They are straight forward with the pricing and you know exactly where you stand.

Cons

Far too expensive in the current climate. The market is saturated with cloud-based storage solutions, and with the likes of Amazon, Google and Microsoft, there is too much competition for DigitalOcean to provide their services at the right prices.

Toby T.

Fantastic value and easy to use

Reviewed on 07/10/2021

DigitalOcean does what it needs for us - highly flexible, low cost cloud hosting, with scaled up resources at the click of a butotn.

Pros

Digital Ocean is unbeatable on cost and ease of use for an IAAS. Managing droplets is intuitive and as simple as you can hope for. Uptime / reliability is great.

Cons

Doesn't have as much power as AWS, but that's the trade-off for simplicity.

Heroku and AWS CloudFormation

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Balance of simplicity and cost
Arun G.
  • Used for 2+ years

Choose DO as a reliable and affordable cloud provider

Reviewed on 24/08/2020

I have been a long time customer of Digital Ocean and used their droplets to run Wordpress based websites and applications. The service is always reliable and also their customer support team is super helpful.

Pros

DigitalOcean provides an inexpensive and easy-to-manage cloud platform that offers reliable services that is very well-designed. The design language across the platform is clean and modern. It literally takes minutes to spin a server get to work.

Cons

The service is heavily developer focused so non-developers (Business users) to use the system without a fair bit of learning curve. This is a not necessarily a disadvantage but calling out so buyers make informed decisions.

Amazon Lightsail

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Started using digital ocean before Amazon had come up with a droplet equivalent. Due to the familiarity i invariably chose DO over AWS.
Ajay s I.

Digital Ocean is really an ocean

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

It's awesome and hopefully will be awesome. It's IaaS service i loved the most.

Pros

it's reliability is awesome and worls very awesome. Pricing also cheap. So we consider and refer to other.

Cons

Support system should be empowered to best level as other are having advanced system for support to customers.

Google Cloud Platform and Linode

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Every platform have their own features and so does digital ocean
Marc vincent I.

Why I love DigitalOcean

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Easy, fast, and will not break the bank.

Pros

Set up is a breeze even if I've only started working with Linux when I tried it.

Cons

Basic Linux/server knowledge is required to effectively use their service which is common to VPS services.

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean's interface was cleaner and much easier to digest especially for someone just starting out.

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean doesn't have as much features/capabilities as AWS or GCP but what it has is enough for someone just trying out VPS (and even for more advanced usage). They also managed to distill the features down to the most basic so it's not as daunting as AWS or GCP.
Jeff B.

Perfect for hosting a small web application

Reviewed on 21/07/2021

I wanted to host a small web application that was a personal project, Digital Ocean was the cheapest options with the features that I needed. I have had nothing but a positive experience with their service.

Pros

I liked the pre-defined droplets that are available. I wanted to create one that runs Node.js to use as a web server, in just a few clicks I was up and running and ready to configure.

Cons

Because Digital Ocean gives their users to do almost anything, you really need to know what you are doing to get your web application/server up and running. The good thing is that their support site answered 100% of the questions that I had to get my web application up and running.

Heroku, Google Cloud Platform and Amazon EC2

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Digital Ocean had a more attractive pricing model that best fit my needs.
Amey S.

Best SaaS product ever

Reviewed on 21/09/2021

Pros

It's really simple to create and deploy applications on Digital Ocean. One of my favourite features is App Platform, where you can develop web applications, Docker based images and then have them seamlessly deployed on Digital Ocean's fast and secure servers.

Cons

DigitalOcean could bring in CI/CD pipelining for applications. That's something that I would personally like.

Daniel K.

Digital Ocean is in my top 5 for hosting solutions

Reviewed on 18/01/2022

Digital Ocean accomodates all kind of public. I use it's services for my small to medium business websites, for hosting, databases and backup. I also deploy my internal tools there. It's affordable, reliable and also plays nice with others.

Pros

You can depend on Digital Ocean. It's server are very sturdy, you can choose from a very wide range of options and everything is documented.

Cons

It's complicated to setup properly, but it's getting better every day. This is not Digital Ocean's fault, Cloud Computing is though.

Google Cloud Platform, Kinsta and Amazon S3

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

Mostly pricing issues: Digital Ocean let me choose how much I will pay for something in advance. Also, it gives more value for money than a standard VPS solution.

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Easy to deploy, affordable solutions, but also less managing options. Digital Ocean has it's own uses cases, different from other providers.
Kunal D.

Best Cloud Hosting for Developers with Wonderful User Interface and Tutorials

Reviewed on 25/06/2021

Overall I am quite happy with the way DigitalOcean is. Currently my site is hosted on DigitalOcean and loads quickly. A faster loading site means more visitors and more visitors means more income generating possibilities. Spinning new servers from images save lot of time.

Pros

Things that I like about DigitalOcean are
1) You get power of cloud computing at some discount compared to Amazon and Google.
2) Nice and intuitive dashboard.
3) You can provision new servers in around 60 seconds.
4) Developer friendly.
5) Ability to collaborate with teams.
6) Predictable pricing.
7) Scale up as you grow.
8) Can enable IPv6 for the server.
9) Get to know various monitoring metrics like CPU and RAM consumption, disk usage, bandwidth consumption in the dashboard at a minimal interval of 5 minutes. You can see these usage for last 14 days.
10) Take backups and snapshots incase of anything goes wrong.
11) Easy to configure Firewall.
12) Can increase disk space easily by adding Block Storage to the droplets.
13) DigitalOceans Spaces can be used to offload static files for as low as $5 for 1TB CDN bandwidth and reduce load on server.
14) DigitalOcean has one of the best knowledge base and how to articles to get you started or get out if you are stuck.
15) Create alerts to receive email notification
16) Get email notification when monthly spending reaches your defined threshold.

Cons

Things that I don't like about DigitalOcean are
1) You have to turn off the droplet to scale up or scale down.
2) Information regarding DDoS attacks on droplets should also me made available in the control panel.
3) Backups and Snapshots costs extra and are pricy.
4) Does not accept prepaid cards for payments.

Greg B.

Simplicity without compromising features

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

I switched to Digital Ocean from AWS after a long and considered research phase. The problems I wanted to avoid were 1) unpredictable pricing, 2) vendor tie-in, 3) difficult to get performance without just paying more.

With Digital Ocean, all of the above points were hit, and I feel totally control of my company's digital infrastructure.

Pros

With Digital Ocean, you get exactly what you pay for. Unlike other cloud providers, if you pay for a server with X capacity, you get exactly that, without any secret charges or "token" based performance. The pricing is predictable and the decisions are made simple. On top of this, the web-based user interface is well thought out and allows you to organise your servers into teams and projects. Each team can have separate billing but it is all predictable.

Cons

The web admin user interface is a little slow and clunky at times. It does the job, and is pleasant to look at, but seeing an animation of a shark swimming every time you click a button is common. I can't knock the functionality, but the way the web application has been built means that every action requires a loading animation, which can really get in the way of the task at hand.

Cloud Servers and Google Cloud Platform

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

Unpredictable pricing, complex and unpredictable performance of servers, vendor tie-in

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Simplicity, with the tools available to scale when needed.
Maftei G.

Made for developers, ready for production, powers my whole business

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Being able to combine different resources the way I need gives me the maximum flexibility to offer the optimal solutions to my customers. Almost all important web services providers have almost impossible to understand pricing calculators - pretending that this extremely insane granulation will make you obtain the optimal cost effective solution. It may be true for a large organisation, but for small companies like mine, a simple and straight-forward pricing model like the one digitalocean has is more than enough and makes me not waste my precious programming hours.

Pros

I have tried different VPS solutions, looking for a reliable, easy to use and cost effective solution for my web apps and websites. Finally I've ended up migrating almost all my work to Digitalocean, my being a developer who does not wish to waste too much time with sys admin issues. Everything comes handy and is easy to understand. A big plus for me, working mainly the EU market is that I can host my VPS's in the EU, so that I may comply to the GDPR requirements. I just love it.

Cons

I really have no complaints. Everything works smoothly

Cloud Storage and Amazon Lightsail

ease of use

simplicity and price
Daniel A.

The best cloud computing company I have ever used

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

I build custom software for clients and have some SaaS products hosted on the platform.

Their data security, availability and high velocity servers make me confident to do my job while they keep it online.

I'm a completely happy costumer! They are providing me a perfect experience for more than 4 years.

Pros

The awesome user interface of the product is a killing feature, ages ahead of competition.

I love how simple and efficient everything is, from deploying a new droplet to asking for support.

They offer an excellent service at very low cost.

They helped me starting my business, teaching me with their free tutorials how to build and manage servers.

Cons

I would love to see investments on a Brazilian datacenter. This is the only missing feature for me.

Google Cloud Platform

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean has a better ecosystem of features, a really helpful community, the best tutorials on the internet and public plans for the future. I'm more confident they will succeed in the long run .

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean is simpler to configure and manage. It's billing system doesn't include hidden costs. It's starting price is affordable for a bootstrapped developer.

Deploying Linux or open-source software? Use DigitalOcean

Reviewed on 28/06/2020

In a word -- superb on all fronts -- as an example, we were replicating a certain image type that wouldn't work -- any time we'd load the image on a new box, it would fail. It turned out to be a very specific issue around the length of the image name on a specific Debian release -- the DigitalOcean support team figured it out, and looped back with us, long after we'd simply rebuilt the image.

Pros

The most amazingly refreshing platform to use in a long time, especially for back-end work. We'd switched from AWS, which was incredibly cumbersome to administer.

Cons

We sometimes have had to migrate between data centers because the machines we wanted in the data center in which we already had nodes didn't have the same node available for scaling.

Amazon EC2 and Firebase

at the time, price and ease of administration

at the time, price and ease of administration

DigitalOcean is my favorite go-to hosting solution

Reviewed on 19/08/2020

I am overall extremely satisfied with DigitalOcean, but like every company - I think there are some core features they can (and should) improve.

Pros

- They have an extremely clear pricing model - you always know what you're gonna be paying that month (no unexpected charges of $5k).
- It's really simple to get setup and working
- They allow for Floating IP's (for free, while being assigned to a droplet) and this allows you to really quickly reroute traffic to another service.
- It has a very well documented and powerful API so you can automate repetitive tasks
- They generally respond well to user feature requests on their portal.

Cons

- It feels like snapshotting or creating a new server takes longer than it needs to.
- You cannot download snapshots.
- You cannot transfer services (like a droplet or ip) to another account or team.

Carlos N.
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Easy to setup and very useful

Reviewed on 10/09/2020

Excellent. Start working in minutes, and I am not an IT professsional. Digital Ocean offers very flexible plans and it is very easy to switch alternatives when needed. Invoices are clear and fair. I use Digital Ocean to mount one or more servers for my personal work, involving data analysis and education. It has saved me hours of installing software and allows working virtually from any location and any device.

Pros

Very easy to setup, all the options that I need are available, can start working in minutes.

Cons

I would like more low-cost alternatives.

Michael Y.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Excellent VPS Hosting

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

DigitalOcean basically runs all of our cloud infrastructure at this point! From web servers and databases to our inventory management applications- everything has never been more stable, secure and I 10/10 recommend DigitalOcean!

Pros

The ease of use is really what shines here, it just works. Over the past 2 years I have had almost no downtime! All of my cloud infrastructure runs on Digital Ocean now, and I've never even bothered looking elsewhere!

Cons

The only downfall, is that I wish there were more flexible pricing options. I wish there was a droplet sized smaller then the $5 option, as well as more a-la-carte options

Google Cloud Platform and Amazon S3

Pricing and customer service
Jesse F.

Digital Ocean has saved me a lot of money

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

The pricing is fantastic and has really forced me to abandon any expensive managed hosting platforms. With DO, I can use the latest web server technology when I want. I have experience nothing but great, prompt customer service.

Pros

Along with great guides, DO has provided me and my clients with a growing list of tools to be more productive.

Cons

The learning curve was steep when I started using DO several years ago. I imagine those with no experience in this area would struggle but the guides really helped.

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Less corporate. Wanted to support what I saw as a smaller company. Less restrictions. Better quality services. Cheaper.
Mikey A.
  • Industry: Hospitality

One of the best providers on the market

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

We are using Digital ocean to host our SaaS product along side some AWS systems to fill the gaps.

Pros

Digital Ocean delivers incredible value for money along with some of the best features sets available on the market. With excellent ease-of-use and brilliant documentation, support and knowledge bases to match. There's no one else like it in the market.

Cons

Missing some features of larger providers like AWS, however, these aren't things that we are looking for so don't miss it.

Amazon Lightsail and Amazon S3

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Price and ease-of-use compared to the competition.
Saba A.

One of the best hosting services in the world!

Reviewed on 20/06/2020

I use digitalocean daily already for several years. Its really cheap and it makes things done with no problems.

Pros

Digitalocean is one of the best hosting services in the world. Its really easy to use and it has huge amount of features. You can easily control your droplets and administrate everything as you want.

Cons

Some of the features are little bit hard to use and understand. Sometimes digitalocean has some problems with some types of bank cards.

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Because its cheap and easy to use
Derick D.

Great hosting for developers who like control

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

When you need to custom change your server you need Digital Ocean. Console access, networking, several OS images and more.

Pros

Total control of your server and networking.

Cons

Server statistics can be deceptive sometimes.

Stefan D.
  • Industry: Building Materials

My favorite vps provider

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Pros

That is cheap and has great community support

Cons

Biling i would like to pay anualy not wvery month

Google Cloud Platform

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

DO had support for serverpilot, and my websites worket faster at the moment i made the tests
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Affordable Cloud computing environment

Reviewed on 31/07/2021

We have deployed grade auctioning platform on digital ocean. Application workload is too heavy on some days. But digitlocean still could manage the workload smoothly. We also deployed few smaller size applications and smaller TPS db instances on smallest droplets. So the can have cost benefit here. I can definitely recommend DigitalOcena to anyone.

Pros

+Affordable pricings.
+Deployments are super fast and easy.
+Support Microservices architecture
+DNS management is very convenient.
+Droplets backups can be configured for small amount.

Cons

+ I/O problems in smaller droplets.
+ Network security cannot be implemented to the deeper level.
+ Limitation on custom images (ex. Cannot have more than 100GB image, cannot assign floating IP)