DigitalOcean Reviews

DigitalOcean

Cloud management and application development software

4.3/5

128 Reviews for UK Users

MAFTEI
MAFTEI

Made for developers, ready for production, powers my whole business

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Being able to combine different resources the way I need gives me the maximum flexibility to offer the optimal solutions to my customers. Almost all important web services providers have almost impossible to understand pricing calculators - pretending that this extremely insane granulation will make you obtain the optimal cost effective solution. It may be true for a large organisation, but for small companies like mine, a simple and straight-forward pricing model like the one digitalocean has is more than enough and makes me not waste my precious programming hours.

Pros

I have tried different VPS solutions, looking for a reliable, easy to use and cost effective solution for my web apps and websites. Finally I've ended up migrating almost all my work to Digitalocean, my being a developer who does not wish to waste too much time with sys admin issues. Everything comes handy and is easy to understand. A big plus for me, working mainly the EU market is that I can host my VPS's in the EU, so that I may comply to the GDPR requirements. I just love it.

Cons

I really have no complaints. Everything works smoothly

Google Cloud Storage and Amazon Lightsail

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

ease of use

simplicity and price
Mikey
  • Industry: Hospitality

One of the best providers on the market

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

We are using Digital ocean to host our SaaS product along side some AWS systems to fill the gaps.

Pros

Digital Ocean delivers incredible value for money along with some of the best features sets available on the market. With excellent ease-of-use and brilliant documentation, support and knowledge bases to match. There's no one else like it in the market.

Cons

Missing some features of larger providers like AWS, however, these aren't things that we are looking for so don't miss it.

Amazon S3 and Amazon Lightsail

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Price and ease-of-use compared to the competition.
Reece
Reece

Solid But Expensive

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

A solid experience but the pricing is far too high. However if budget is not a problem for you, definitely check them out.

Pros

This company does offer some good services and a decent user interface. They are straight forward with the pricing and you know exactly where you stand.

Cons

Far too expensive in the current climate. The market is saturated with cloud-based storage solutions, and with the likes of Amazon, Google and Microsoft, there is too much competition for DigitalOcean to provide their services at the right prices.

Josh

Great Service for being in control of our own servers

Reviewed on 29/11/2023

It has been good and I see no reason to think of moving. Service is great, price is good too.

Pros

I like that they provide inexpensive virtual machine hosting and allow for complete control over it.
You can resize machines quite easily, make snapshots of VM's control firewall settings etc.

Cons

It is not always easy to find the section you are looking for but a quick google helps easily.

Great cloud hosting for everyone

Reviewed on 19/06/2023

We have had a great experience with Digitalocean ever since we started using it. It is extremely easy to use and very fast.

Pros

Digitalocean is so extremely easy to use. You can get a product deployed in under 10 minutes, with super fast build times.

Cons

It is somewhat expensive, however the ease of use makes it very worth it.

Derick

Great hosting for developers who like control

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

When you need to custom change your server you need Digital Ocean. Console access, networking, several OS images and more.

Pros

Total control of your server and networking.

Cons

Server statistics can be deceptive sometimes.

Jeff

Perfect for hosting a small web application

Reviewed on 21/07/2021

I wanted to host a small web application that was a personal project, Digital Ocean was the cheapest options with the features that I needed. I have had nothing but a positive experience with their service.

Pros

I liked the pre-defined droplets that are available. I wanted to create one that runs Node.js to use as a web server, in just a few clicks I was up and running and ready to configure.

Cons

Because Digital Ocean gives their users to do almost anything, you really need to know what you are doing to get your web application/server up and running. The good thing is that their support site answered 100% of the questions that I had to get my web application up and running.

Amazon EC2, Google Cloud and Heroku

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Digital Ocean had a more attractive pricing model that best fit my needs.
Selim Emre
Selim Emre

Easy to use GUI

Reviewed on 13/06/2023

Digital Ocean is well-suited for beginners to use.

Digital Ocean is well-suited for beginners to use.

Pros

Digital Ocean provides a lot of guides, making it easy to use for beginners as well.

Cons

There is a problem with the bandwidth feature as Digital Ocean does not provide guaranteed bandwidth. This limitation makes it challenging to utilize their services in the streaming industry.

Amey

Best SaaS product ever

Reviewed on 21/09/2021

Pros

It's really simple to create and deploy applications on Digital Ocean. One of my favourite features is App Platform, where you can develop web applications, Docker based images and then have them seamlessly deployed on Digital Ocean's fast and secure servers.

Cons

DigitalOcean could bring in CI/CD pipelining for applications. That's something that I would personally like.

Eutimio
Eutimio
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Cloud Platform for Innovation and Collaboration

Reviewed on 27/04/2023

I significantly depended on DigitalOcean as a student intern at the university's IT department to host and test a variety of web apps. I was able to set up and maintain servers fast because to its user-friendly UI and comprehensive tutorials, and I also saved money thanks to its reasonable price.

Pros

Affordably priced plans, a versatile and scalable cloud architecture, an intuitive management interface, and a wealth of training and documentation are all provided by DigitalOcean. It is the perfect platform for developing and distributing apps because to its user-friendly UI and strong API.

Cons

Despite having excellent value for the money, DigitalOcean is missing certain cutting-edge capabilities, like load balancing, backup scheduling, and automated scaling. Its customer service might also be more helpful and responsive.

Piotr

A good place for your VPS

Reviewed on 06/12/2021

We use DigitalOcean for a couple of years now to maintain our websites. It keeps running with no issues, so we are pleased with that outcome.

Pros

Very easy to create, backup and replicate VPS servers. Everything is in the right place and the web panel is very user friendly. Pricing for newly created servers is very clear and fair.

Cons

Sometimes you need to get to the console, do the research and set up something, but it's VPS so you kind of agreed to that

OVHcloud

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean was recommended by our DevOps

OVHcloud

Recommendation
Joël
Joël

DigitalOcean review

Reviewed on 03/06/2023

DigitalOcean is one of the best cloud hosting providers and it's a great option for app and web hosting.

Pros

DigitalOcean offers the best hosting services in terms of speed performance, budget, and security. We've used its services for many years now and it's really worth paying for it.Virtual servers are easy to set up with their integrated terminal which doesn't necessarily require putty or any other third-party terminal to run the servers.We've tested the most recent versions of Ubuntu on it and it works without bugs. The company ensures content safety and empowers with the best support ever.It supports both Plesk and Cyber panel very well.We only pay for what we use and this helps us to save more money as compared to few other hosting providers that we've been using.

Cons

There is no bad with their services so far.

Michael
Michael

A cheap, but powerful, way of hosting projects

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

I have found DigitalOcean to be incredibly useful, extensible, and cheap. The learning curve was very steep, for someone not really used to using the command line. However, once I'd put in the initial work, I now have a very capable setup.

Pros

For basic use, the lowest tier (or Droplet, in DigitalOcean speak) is very attractive. Regular automatic backups can be added for a small fee, and Droplets can be increased in size and power very easily to match your needs. It really is a blank slate, so you can install pretty much any software onto a Droplet.

Cons

It can be quite intimidating to have to set up everything yourself. If you're coming from a regular hosting service, such as GoDaddy or Heart Internet, the amount of steps involved to just get a basic server up and running, coupled with keeping everything safe from security loopholes and hacking attempts, can be off-putting.

Aaron
  • Industry: Publishing

DigitalOcean is a wonderful tool for developers and small businesses

Reviewed on 05/09/2023

My overall experience. When I first started, I was a beginner in server management. There was a time where I didn't know what I was doing. But after spending time with the documentation and researching further user forums, I felt more confident that I understood how DigitalOcean worked for me. Now I can safely say that this was a good investment into my future business.

Pros

I really enjoy the use of Droplets to build my own servers just the way I want. With options to control how large my server is and more options to scale it in the future, I can be assured that DigitalOcean will have what I need.

Cons

There is always room for improvement with any application. DigitalOcean makes is hard to find faults but I would say improving the console experience is always at the forefront of my mind. Making shortcuts and scripts to set up servers quickly would be nice for brand new users.

Harshit
Harshit
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Techie’s best choice

Reviewed on 11/02/2022

I am using digitalocean since 3 years I an extremely satisfied

I am using digitalocean since 3 years I an extremely satisfied

Pros

The software comes with a free one year subscription if you have github pro which is insanely good and the power and speed the virtual machines have i think no other machines have in the world

Cons

The product is designed in such a way leaves no cons back

Amazon S3

Price range and quality
Gianluigi
Gianluigi

Good Cloud Provider

Reviewed on 09/02/2023

We have a good experience with Digital Ocean. We use a couple od droplets with a managed DB to implement a custom backup system. We are evaluating their Kubernetes managed service.

Pros

I like the UI which is very intuitive. For a begineer it's probably the best choice respect to other cloud providers. Another great aspect is the price, really cheap to start a basic droplet or a managed DB. Documentation is good and many problems are already resolved if you find over internet.

Cons

If you need a complex but really full of features Cloud Provider maybe Digital Ocean lacks for some services and specific configurations. Anyway they are working hard to add even more features.

Linode

Linode

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Ease of use and good pricing
Sakthi

Good Cloud and Infrastructure providers for hosting

Reviewed on 04/05/2023

very good cloud service providers for small scale and startups.

very good cloud service providers for small scale and startups.

Pros

Digital Ocean help us to provide virtual machines within our budget and easy to manage services provide by digital ocean without complexity.

Cons

Based on our usage digital ocean fulfil our requirements. They need to add more services like other cloud competitors.

Leonardo
Leonardo
  • Industry: Legal Services

Super solid software

Reviewed on 03/03/2022

Pros

Easy to maintain and great support and community around their products.

Cons

Setting up something can be a challenge if you are not as technical.

Saqib

Great team at Digital Ocean

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

We are really pleased with Digital Ocean - its the hosting solution for the pros and their ethical support is second to none.

Pros

Very powerful web hosting, extremely kind and supportive ethos (Digital Ocean were kind enough to support our community project with additional credits). Great range of apps.

Cons

This is a completely different experience to web hosting than standard hosting companies like siteground, bluehost, godaddy. One requires much more knowledge on creating apps and websites, and requires pro support to sometimes get the things done you took for granted (like installing SSL / managing your files / installing apps)

Ashen

Excellent Service

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

So far we had smooth service. Everything seems perfect. If email services were there it will be even better. Anyhow value for money.

Pros

Overall service is excellent. The control panel is extremely user friendly and the pricing is also affordable. The performance of the basic droplets are note worthy and value for money. Highly recommended.

Cons

We faced few issues on email services. The service currently does not support email services thefore there is a need to connect the product with external services.

Eitan

Really fast and easy to use and scale servers

Reviewed on 23/06/2022

Pros

The servers are really fast and easy to deploy, manage and scale.
you can use between a lot of templates of applications that can be automatically installed on your server

Cons

There is only a minimal DDoS protection comes with the VPS servers.

Nick
  • Industry: Human Resources

Easy to scale with DO

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Pros

The droplets are amazing if your company is scaling up. With Just a single click you can scale up you storage and/or memory.

Cons

Back ups are quite expensive compared with their other services.

Jose J
Jose J
  • Industry: Market Research

Great Cloud Computing Service for any Business

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Pros

I like the simplicity of the interface to manage our instances (droplets). The marketplace offers fast deployments of a variety of web apps and cloud software that speed up our development processes.

Cons

The only con I have experienced with Digital Ocean was a slow response from customer support when having trouble disabling the 2-factor authentication. Aside from that, DigitalOcean customer support has been helpful and kind.

Ben
Ben
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

My new go-to for all matters of hosting

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

Virtual server and machine hosting for multiple websites and databases

Virtual server and machine hosting for multiple websites and databases

Pros

DigitalOcean makes it incredibly simple to setup and manage virtual cloud servers for almost any size, scale and scope of project you have in mind. From one-off web pages to large databases, you can easily spin up and start developing without much interference, and the technical support is very strong.The pricing is also incredibly reasonable, and scales with usage.

Cons

While they make it easy, it still requires a fair amount of technical knowledge to get acquainted with the setup and terminology used ('droplets', 'applets', etc.). There is also a need to stay organized, because if you manage a lot of different projects, it can be difficult to keep everything organized.

Daniele
  • Industry: Maritime

Great solution for tech infrastructure

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Pros

I've been using DigitalOcean for years and, despite there being a number of other platforms that offer tech infrastructure in the cloud, DO has remained my favorite. It is easy to use, the pricing schemes are transparent, the UI is a pleasure to work with. What's more, DigitalOcean's articles and guides are superb and have helped me set things up with ease, time and again. Would highly recommend.

Cons

There are a number of features on other tech infrastructure providers that DigitalOcean doesn't offer. That said, DigitalOcean accounts for 99% of the cloud technology that most small to medium SaaS applications require, and some.