DigitalOcean Reviews

DigitalOcean

Write a Review!
Cloud management and application development software

4.3/5

128 Reviews for UK Users

MAFTEI
MAFTEI

Made for developers, ready for production, powers my whole business

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Being able to combine different resources the way I need gives me the maximum flexibility to offer the optimal solutions to my customers. Almost all important web services providers have almost impossible to understand pricing calculators - pretending that this extremely insane granulation will make you obtain the optimal cost effective solution. It may be true for a large organisation, but for small companies like mine, a simple and straight-forward pricing model like the one digitalocean has is more than enough and makes me not waste my precious programming hours.

Pros

I have tried different VPS solutions, looking for a reliable, easy to use and cost effective solution for my web apps and websites. Finally I've ended up migrating almost all my work to Digitalocean, my being a developer who does not wish to waste too much time with sys admin issues. Everything comes handy and is easy to understand. A big plus for me, working mainly the EU market is that I can host my VPS's in the EU, so that I may comply to the GDPR requirements. I just love it.

Cons

I really have no complaints. Everything works smoothly

Google Cloud Storage and Amazon Lightsail

ease of use

simplicity and price

Great cloud hosting for everyone

Reviewed on 19/06/2023

We have had a great experience with Digitalocean ever since we started using it. It is extremely easy to use and very fast.

Pros

Digitalocean is so extremely easy to use. You can get a product deployed in under 10 minutes, with super fast build times.

Cons

It is somewhat expensive, however the ease of use makes it very worth it.

Reece
Reece

Solid But Expensive

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

A solid experience but the pricing is far too high. However if budget is not a problem for you, definitely check them out.

Pros

This company does offer some good services and a decent user interface. They are straight forward with the pricing and you know exactly where you stand.

Cons

Far too expensive in the current climate. The market is saturated with cloud-based storage solutions, and with the likes of Amazon, Google and Microsoft, there is too much competition for DigitalOcean to provide their services at the right prices.

Jeff

Perfect for hosting a small web application

Reviewed on 21/07/2021

I wanted to host a small web application that was a personal project, Digital Ocean was the cheapest options with the features that I needed. I have had nothing but a positive experience with their service.

Pros

I liked the pre-defined droplets that are available. I wanted to create one that runs Node.js to use as a web server, in just a few clicks I was up and running and ready to configure.

Cons

Because Digital Ocean gives their users to do almost anything, you really need to know what you are doing to get your web application/server up and running. The good thing is that their support site answered 100% of the questions that I had to get my web application up and running.

Amazon EC2, Google Cloud and Heroku

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Digital Ocean had a more attractive pricing model that best fit my needs.
Selim Emre
Selim Emre

Easy to use GUI

Reviewed on 13/06/2023

Digital Ocean is well-suited for beginners to use.

Digital Ocean is well-suited for beginners to use.

Pros

Digital Ocean provides a lot of guides, making it easy to use for beginners as well.

Cons

There is a problem with the bandwidth feature as Digital Ocean does not provide guaranteed bandwidth. This limitation makes it challenging to utilize their services in the streaming industry.

Amey

Best SaaS product ever

Reviewed on 21/09/2021

Pros

It's really simple to create and deploy applications on Digital Ocean. One of my favourite features is App Platform, where you can develop web applications, Docker based images and then have them seamlessly deployed on Digital Ocean's fast and secure servers.

Cons

DigitalOcean could bring in CI/CD pipelining for applications. That's something that I would personally like.

Eutimio
Eutimio
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Cloud Platform for Innovation and Collaboration

Reviewed on 27/04/2023

I significantly depended on DigitalOcean as a student intern at the university's IT department to host and test a variety of web apps. I was able to set up and maintain servers fast because to its user-friendly UI and comprehensive tutorials, and I also saved money thanks to its reasonable price.

Pros

Affordably priced plans, a versatile and scalable cloud architecture, an intuitive management interface, and a wealth of training and documentation are all provided by DigitalOcean. It is the perfect platform for developing and distributing apps because to its user-friendly UI and strong API.

Cons

Despite having excellent value for the money, DigitalOcean is missing certain cutting-edge capabilities, like load balancing, backup scheduling, and automated scaling. Its customer service might also be more helpful and responsive.

Aaron
  • Industry: Publishing

DigitalOcean is a wonderful tool for developers and small businesses

Reviewed on 05/09/2023

My overall experience. When I first started, I was a beginner in server management. There was a time where I didn't know what I was doing. But after spending time with the documentation and researching further user forums, I felt more confident that I understood how DigitalOcean worked for me. Now I can safely say that this was a good investment into my future business.

Pros

I really enjoy the use of Droplets to build my own servers just the way I want. With options to control how large my server is and more options to scale it in the future, I can be assured that DigitalOcean will have what I need.

Cons

There is always room for improvement with any application. DigitalOcean makes is hard to find faults but I would say improving the console experience is always at the forefront of my mind. Making shortcuts and scripts to set up servers quickly would be nice for brand new users.

Musa
  • Industry: Banking

Impressive and reliable way to accelerate growth.

Reviewed on 02/01/2024

Cost effective and user friendly software. Best for all.

Cost effective and user friendly software. Best for all.

Pros

DigitalOcean has unique and very relatable features which are key ingredients to building a lasting customer experience. It is quite cost effective and simple to use. The customer support team has been very active in assisting us in setting up the tool. Web hosting and VPS hosting are made effortless. DigitalOcean is a great idea.

Cons

DigitalOcean is good. Nothing is challenging especially with prior knowledge on similar tools.

Ngala Emmanuel
Ngala Emmanuel
  • Industry: Graphic Design

It offers incredible VPS hosting with poor customer services

Reviewed on 14/09/2023

It's a great product for fast and reliable web hosting. Digital Ocean is suitable for hosting standards for large websites and applications. I like it because it provides a great site performance score and also provides full controllability.

Pros

What I like about Digital Ocean is that:- I only pay for the resources that I use. While several other hosting providers will urge clients to go in for long-term hosting, Digital Ocean enables clients to only pay for what they use. This is pretty transparent if you ask me.- It's easy to use: While this may make sense to some people, Digital Ocean has one of the most simple and ease-to-use workspaces. Features are well allocated and they are not even supercharged. It makes it easy to locate an item without hassles.- It uses solid-state drives which are way faster than the usual storage most companies offer.- iT various droplets which are easy to configure and can also be deployed

Cons

The reasons why I stopped using Digital Ocean is that:- After three months of hosting, the system started refusing my prepaid visa card meanwhile I'd been using it in the previous months without stress when I reached out to the support team they took a longer time to respond and didn't solve the problem. They suggested that I should try paying via Paypal and there was an extra $10 that got added to the initial fees that I was to pay. At a point, it made no sense to me.- Secondly, all services are self-managed. Although it somehow gives full controllability what about beginners who have little knowledge of cloud computing or similar products? they won't make it.- Fast support comes at an extra cost. This is not a good model - It makes no sense to reduce subscription fees to later ask me to pay for support. It's not even common in today's business world. Please consider upgrading.

Piotr

A good place for your VPS

Reviewed on 06/12/2021

We use DigitalOcean for a couple of years now to maintain our websites. It keeps running with no issues, so we are pleased with that outcome.

Pros

Very easy to create, backup and replicate VPS servers. Everything is in the right place and the web panel is very user friendly. Pricing for newly created servers is very clear and fair.

Cons

Sometimes you need to get to the console, do the research and set up something, but it's VPS so you kind of agreed to that

OVHcloud

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean was recommended by our DevOps

OVHcloud

Recommendation
Joël
Joël

DigitalOcean review

Reviewed on 03/06/2023

DigitalOcean is one of the best cloud hosting providers and it's a great option for app and web hosting.

Pros

DigitalOcean offers the best hosting services in terms of speed performance, budget, and security. We've used its services for many years now and it's really worth paying for it.Virtual servers are easy to set up with their integrated terminal which doesn't necessarily require putty or any other third-party terminal to run the servers.We've tested the most recent versions of Ubuntu on it and it works without bugs. The company ensures content safety and empowers with the best support ever.It supports both Plesk and Cyber panel very well.We only pay for what we use and this helps us to save more money as compared to few other hosting providers that we've been using.

Cons

There is no bad with their services so far.

Saba
Saba

One of the best hosting services in the world!

Reviewed on 20/06/2020

I use digitalocean daily already for several years. Its really cheap and it makes things done with no problems.

Pros

Digitalocean is one of the best hosting services in the world. Its really easy to use and it has huge amount of features. You can easily control your droplets and administrate everything as you want.

Cons

Some of the features are little bit hard to use and understand. Sometimes digitalocean has some problems with some types of bank cards.

Amazon S3

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Because its cheap and easy to use
Stefany
Stefany
  • Industry: Human Resources

Simple, easy to use and reliable, everything you need.

Reviewed on 22/08/2022

It's a low-cost item with a straightforward payment mechanism. The digital ocean's documentation and support are highly helpful in handling project difficulties. If you're new to the service, though, you should spend a few hours learning about it and reading the help forums. The majority of your questions will be answered there.

Pros

The best part is that it's a fixed price, so you won't have to worry about billing; it won't go over budget, and it'll always be the same amount. Their administration panel is significantly more user-friendly than those of other cloud providers, making it easier for people with less technical knowledge to operate. We've never had a server go down in the period we've been using DigitalOcean.

Cons

For newbies, setting up SSH and remote access to your server may be tricky. There is no premium support on Digitalocean. If you have a problem with digitalocean and submit a support ticket, the customer care team will simply provide you a link to a post on their blog that will help you fix the problem.

Stefan
  • Industry: Building Materials

My favorite vps provider

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Pros

That is cheap and has great community support

Cons

Biling i would like to pay anualy not wvery month

Google Cloud

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean

DO had support for serverpilot, and my websites worket faster at the moment i made the tests
Gianluigi
Gianluigi

Good Cloud Provider

Reviewed on 09/02/2023

We have a good experience with Digital Ocean. We use a couple od droplets with a managed DB to implement a custom backup system. We are evaluating their Kubernetes managed service.

Pros

I like the UI which is very intuitive. For a begineer it's probably the best choice respect to other cloud providers. Another great aspect is the price, really cheap to start a basic droplet or a managed DB. Documentation is good and many problems are already resolved if you find over internet.

Cons

If you need a complex but really full of features Cloud Provider maybe Digital Ocean lacks for some services and specific configurations. Anyway they are working hard to add even more features.

Linode

Linode

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean

Ease of use and good pricing
Sakthi

Good Cloud and Infrastructure providers for hosting

Reviewed on 04/05/2023

very good cloud service providers for small scale and startups.

very good cloud service providers for small scale and startups.

Pros

Digital Ocean help us to provide virtual machines within our budget and easy to manage services provide by digital ocean without complexity.

Cons

Based on our usage digital ocean fulfil our requirements. They need to add more services like other cloud competitors.

Leonardo
Leonardo
  • Industry: Legal Services

Super solid software

Reviewed on 03/03/2022

Pros

Easy to maintain and great support and community around their products.

Cons

Setting up something can be a challenge if you are not as technical.

Saqib

Great team at Digital Ocean

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

We are really pleased with Digital Ocean - its the hosting solution for the pros and their ethical support is second to none.

Pros

Very powerful web hosting, extremely kind and supportive ethos (Digital Ocean were kind enough to support our community project with additional credits). Great range of apps.

Cons

This is a completely different experience to web hosting than standard hosting companies like siteground, bluehost, godaddy. One requires much more knowledge on creating apps and websites, and requires pro support to sometimes get the things done you took for granted (like installing SSL / managing your files / installing apps)

Ashen

Excellent Service

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

So far we had smooth service. Everything seems perfect. If email services were there it will be even better. Anyhow value for money.

Pros

Overall service is excellent. The control panel is extremely user friendly and the pricing is also affordable. The performance of the basic droplets are note worthy and value for money. Highly recommended.

Cons

We faced few issues on email services. The service currently does not support email services thefore there is a need to connect the product with external services.

Eitan

Really fast and easy to use and scale servers

Reviewed on 23/06/2022

Pros

The servers are really fast and easy to deploy, manage and scale.
you can use between a lot of templates of applications that can be automatically installed on your server

Cons

There is only a minimal DDoS protection comes with the VPS servers.

Nick
  • Industry: Human Resources

Easy to scale with DO

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Pros

The droplets are amazing if your company is scaling up. With Just a single click you can scale up you storage and/or memory.

Cons

Back ups are quite expensive compared with their other services.

Jose J
Jose J
  • Industry: Market Research

Great Cloud Computing Service for any Business

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Pros

I like the simplicity of the interface to manage our instances (droplets). The marketplace offers fast deployments of a variety of web apps and cloud software that speed up our development processes.

Cons

The only con I have experienced with Digital Ocean was a slow response from customer support when having trouble disabling the 2-factor authentication. Aside from that, DigitalOcean customer support has been helpful and kind.

Ben
Ben
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

My new go-to for all matters of hosting

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

Virtual server and machine hosting for multiple websites and databases

Virtual server and machine hosting for multiple websites and databases

Pros

DigitalOcean makes it incredibly simple to setup and manage virtual cloud servers for almost any size, scale and scope of project you have in mind. From one-off web pages to large databases, you can easily spin up and start developing without much interference, and the technical support is very strong.The pricing is also incredibly reasonable, and scales with usage.

Cons

While they make it easy, it still requires a fair amount of technical knowledge to get acquainted with the setup and terminology used ('droplets', 'applets', etc.). There is also a need to stay organized, because if you manage a lot of different projects, it can be difficult to keep everything organized.

Daniele
  • Industry: Maritime

Great solution for tech infrastructure

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Pros

I've been using DigitalOcean for years and, despite there being a number of other platforms that offer tech infrastructure in the cloud, DO has remained my favorite. It is easy to use, the pricing schemes are transparent, the UI is a pleasure to work with. What's more, DigitalOcean's articles and guides are superb and have helped me set things up with ease, time and again. Would highly recommend.

Cons

There are a number of features on other tech infrastructure providers that DigitalOcean doesn't offer. That said, DigitalOcean accounts for 99% of the cloud technology that most small to medium SaaS applications require, and some.