TestGorilla

Write a Review!
Pre-employment testing software for HR professionals

3.9/5

Powerful toop

Reviewed on 27/06/2022

Over great experience!

Over great experience!

Pros

The app is easy to use and integrates already a great number of tests and questions ideas. It clearly makes the implementation easy.

Cons

The app misses some flexibility in terms of answer durations, amount of questions, etc.
The candidate review process could clearly be improved (switch from one test to another, avoid popups, etc.).

Response from TestGorilla

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to leave us your review, and glad to hear that you are finding the platform easy to use and integrate into your existing process. Welcome to the TG community!

Caroline
  • Industry: Accounting

TestGorills Does Exactly what is promised in the advertisements

Reviewed on 20/07/2023

Overall, TestGorilla is a great tool. As an assessment test creator and owner, I have also been challenged by some of the tests provided by TestGorilla.

Pros

Test Gorilla is a great over the internet tool that has helped us get the best candidates for the various job opportunities we have had in the recent past through online assessments (screening tests).- I like their numerous numbers of assessment tests that you can choose from. I was able to get the most common and expected screening tests that most employers want to use to get the best candidates. Common tests like Microsoft Excel (both basic and advanced), Microsoft Windows Test, Problem solving tests, numerical reasoning tests, personality tests, etc.- The interface is easy and simple to use. I only needed a single 10-minute video on YouTube to show me around TestGorilla.- As the ‘owner’ of test assessments, you are able to try out and use the premium assessments before giving them out to your potential candidates even before you make a premium purchase. You will only be required to make a payment at the point when you need to share the test to your candidates.- One of my most favorite things about TestGorilla is the anti-cheating efforts they have incorporated into the application to ensure that the assessments are fair for your candidates. Your candidates will take your assessments via their computer in Full-screen mode. If a candidate exits the Full-screen mode, the action will be detected for the owner's review. There is a webcam recording in place to record your candidates throughout the assessment time to ensure that no one is cheating.

Cons

I feel like TestGorilla is a bit too expensive for small companies.Also, I wish they could add most tests to their database of tests

Response from TestGorilla

Hello Caroline! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us; it's greatly appreciated. We're thrilled to hear that our wide range of assessment tests and user-friendly interface have been instrumental in your hiring process. It's great to know that our anti-cheating measures have added value to your experience. We understand your concerns about pricing for small companies; that's one of the reasons why we recently updated our pricing structure in order to offer pricing solutions to each FTE band. Rest assured, we are constantly working on providing more value and options to businesses of all sizes. Your feedback is invaluable in helping us improve and grow.

Shubham
  • Industry: Human Resources

Product Review

Reviewed on 03/01/2023

Not good

Not good

Pros

The test categories are more than enough, so there is no category where we have a test.

Cons

It was costly & wasn't cost-efficient at all.

Testlify

Reasons for Choosing TestGorilla

It wasn't good enough & was expensive.

Testlify

Reasons for Switching to TestGorilla

Because of categories.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Shubham, thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I would appreciate if you could share a little more about your thoughts on our pricing. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected]. Thank you!

Mark
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Finding a needle in a Hay Stack

Reviewed on 07/02/2022

Overall I like the concept of TestGorilla. I was able to create a test and easily choose questions to test potential candidates for the tole I was hiring for. I could also add custom questions and set time limits per question. While the summary of each test completed was neatly presented I would have liked if it had given and more in-depth analysis of the programming code provided and helped me in deciding if the candidate had the necessary skills rather than just a percentage score base on whether or not his/her code produced the expected result. Some candidates we interviewed based on there scores here were asked to do another practical code test and did quite well. When speaking to them in the interview they would say they were either intimidated by the online test or were confused by the mathematical questions and were not sure what to do. However, when asked to write a simple web page with a login etc they did this with no problem. TestGorila is great if you don't want to sit in lots of interviews with nonsuitable candidates and you can use this tool to choose those who might be suitable. TestGorilla alone though should not be used to decide whether or not to hire a candidate but does save a lot of time to you in the entire recruitment process

Pros

Library of questions to choose from which you can pick and choose to include in the test based on what skills you are recruiting for.
The test can be done online at a convenient time for the candidate and there are checks built in to determine if the candidate was cheating.
Various ways to share the test to potential candidates
Nice summary of the candidates results

Cons

Needs more questions in the library for a wider variety of positions.
Needs to assess the programming code automatically and provide a rating rather than just showing me the code and making e decide if the candidate is a good fit or not

HackerRank

Reasons for Switching to TestGorilla

Pricing

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Mark! Thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review, we really appreciate it! Glad to hear that you were satisfied with the range of tests in the library (which is over 190 as of now!), and that you found that you were wasting less time interviewing people who weren't suitable. We always say that our product should be used as a tool in the hiring process, and it should fit into a bigger hiring journey. In your case, this is exactly what happened; you used TG to find the best and most suitable candidates and moved them forward to interview, after which you made your final decision. Good luck with your future hiring!

My experience of testgorilla

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Pros

The user experience is very handy and looks clean

Cons

There’s no feature to add due date for exam

Response from TestGorilla

Happy to hear TestGorilla is working well for you! You can't add a due date right now, but you can archive the test when you don't want people to be able to take it anymore (but you'll still be able to see everyone's scores and information). Hope that helps!

Annette
Annette

Billing Error And No Customer Service

Reviewed on 05/03/2022

I signed up for Test Gorilla at the beginning of February. The Platform itself with the test features is well enough. I can see how it would be very beneficial for Enterprise level businesses. The issue is this. I had a billing issue with their automated system, and no one responded to my multiple chat requests or form submissions. I even sent an email response to an autoresponder from [SENSITIVE CONTENT] who asked for me to share why I canceled my account (I cancelled after I did not receive any communication from the company). My subscription level accommodates two assessments and 100 Candidates. I was charged for a third assessment at the end of the month when I've only used two assessments and have only 4 candidate submissions in my account. It's clearly just a billing error, but I can't reach anyone to rectify it.
Runaway, run far, far away. Not having a customer service department for billing issues is a huge red flag.

Pros

Tests are thorough. Sorting candidates, creating assessments, are all easy to do. It's a fun platform to work within.

Cons

There's no customer service, particularly with their billing department. There was a billing error with my account, and I couldn't reach anyone to rectify it. Hence, I canceled my TestGorilla account and had to report the additional (billing error) item charged as a fraud charge, as no one would respond to my attempts to reach the company to rectify this directly with them.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Annette, thank you for taking the time to leave detailed feedback on your experience of our product and service. We regret that you didn't experience the quality of service from us that you deserve, and that we expect. We fully recognize that at the time you left the review we were experiencing an unusually high number of support requests leading to longer response times, for a short period. And we understand that it must be frustrating not to understand some of the charges seen in your account. We have been in contact with you more recently to explain some of the charges and process a partial refund for those. Please do not hesitate to contact us again in case anything is not yet resolved and we wish you good luck with your future hires. Tom

Jan
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Tests not indicative of performance

Reviewed on 27/11/2023

We did not plan to renew our subscription as ALL of the people we hired based on it flaked out. However, the renewal reminder that they sent was obscured by other 'salesy' email fluff i.e. announcing that they had been hard at work adding to their test library - a Typing test. Really!! Once I read that I paid it no attention to the rest which included a reminder about the renewal. I did exactly what they hoped I would do - I ignored the renewal notice. When we got hit with the renewal charge I contacted them the VERY next day and they basically said 'too bad'. So I am NOT at all happy with their sneaky " reminder" techniques. (realizing of course that it is always on me to cancel)

Pros

I liked their sales person. It was relatively easy to us.

Cons

Test only consist of 10 questions which aren't enough on certain topics. Also many of the questions can be answered in multiple ways leading to ambiguous scores.
Once you rejected someone their names didn't disappear or go to another section. Just stayed there, presumably forever. So it gets cluttered when you use the same test repeatedly.

Response from TestGorilla

Hello Jan,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We'd love to improve your experience with our product, so I really encourage you to get in touch with our Customer Success team; they'll be able to help you make the most of the platform.

• Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Good if you can use it right

Reviewed on 14/07/2021

It's good enough if you want to upgrade from shared docs.

It's good enough if you want to upgrade from shared docs.

Pros

The fact that it is easy to share between colleagues, downloadable, time-limited

Cons

Not all questions work for the respective topics. Oftentimes the question can not really assess the candidate

Marius
Marius

Simple Screening Changed our Hiring Process

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

Overall it was very satisfactory, you can have your first assessment created, and shared within 10 minutes, and the screening questions, welcome video and anti-cheating functionality is great

Pros

I enjoyed the simplicity in creating, and sharing the assessments for our business. We created assessments across 2 different concurrent roles, and it was easy to distinguish and work through the setup, sharing and results.

Cons

Not being able to complete the assessments for ourselves, or to establish our own internal benchmarks before sharing with candidates is a challenge.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the review, Marius. We're happy to hear that TestGorilla has changed your hiring process! We don't make all of our questions visible in order to protect the validity of our tests so that test takers can't sign up for a free trial and see the test questions in advanced.

Really well thought candidates' test platform

Reviewed on 01/02/2023

it satisfied my needs for the selection of the candidated for 2 different developing positions without worrying if I had enough knowledge to evaluate the skills of the candidates

Pros

I found it really helpful for tech roles to select and test the capabilities of the applicants

Cons

I found it difficult to use it in a meaningful way for less technical roles

Response from TestGorilla

Hi there, thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us your review. We are glad to hear that you have found it helpful to use TG within your hiring process :) If you have any questions or issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly [email protected]

Sky

A good testing platform with hidden pricing strategy that increases your cost 3X

Reviewed on 06/12/2021

Good with testing
Bad with pricing

Good with testing
Bad with pricing

Pros

Good set of questions. Though not used would like to develop set of questions for new subject areas.

Cons

1. My biggest problem is to pay $150 every two months due to invalidating a assessment. As informed by your support:
"The time limit on assessments is to protect the reliability and integrity of the tests, as having them available for extended periods of time increases the risk of candidates finding ways to practice the tests, or sharing the answers with each other, or posting the questions on the internet. These situations would not only force us to take those questions off our platform but also decrease the validity and reliability of the results of your candidates."

This logic does not make sense since one can and will clone an assessment every two months to create a new one to continue the tests and pay $150 per clone. By cloning the assessment uses exactly the same questions. How does that take care of the reasoning above?

2. Even worse is every time you want correct a typo you have to pay $150 since the only way you can do by cloning a test rather than editing one.

3. The problem is the buyer has no idea about these additional cost when they are buying the service. The service fee is shown as $300 but actually it is $300 + 5 x $150 = $1050 which is more than 3 times the advertised price.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Sky! Thanks for your feedback. Just to let you know, when you clone an assessment the question sets in each test refresh and a totally new set of questions, from the dedicated question bank for that test, appears in the test! That way we can help you to minimize the chance of a candidate finding the questions online and cheating their way to a job at your company :) We know that the cost of a mis-hire like this can be $20,000++, so in reality we believe that a charge of $150 per additional assessment to minimize the chances of this occurring, is worth it...please reach out to us at [email protected] to clarify any other queries you might have

Aarzoo
  • Industry: Events Services

An easy-to-use platform with great features for assessing candidates.

Reviewed on 09/09/2022

Pros

I like the ease with which you can either invite candidates to a assessment and also send them reminders for the assessment. Saves time and effort. I also like how you can change the status of a candidate to "Interviewed", "Candidate withdrew application", "Rejected" etc. Also the Anit-Cheating monitoring is super useful.

Cons

I would only say it is a bit expensive. There is nothing else I can think of in terms of improvement to the product. Maybe an option to also save candidate contact numbers and Linkedin URLs so that the dashboard can be used to directly to make calls etc.

iMocha

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Aarzoo! Thanks a lot for your feedback. And thank you for your suggestions. I'll be sure to pass those along to our product team, who are always looking for ways to improve our customer offering :) Thanks for being part of the TG community

Jocelyn
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Streamlined the Screening Process

Reviewed on 18/08/2022

It has definitely saved us time and the calibre of interviewees means are conversion form interview to hire has improved drastically.

Pros

Being able to direct our candidates to a branded assessment centre, which then takes a lot of the leg work out of CV screening, giving us the ability to quickly select the best candidates for the role.
Having the options to create different assessments for different roles is great.

Cons

Unfortunately it does not link in to out recruitment software.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Jocelyn, thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us your feedback on the platform. Great to hear that we helped you with optimising your hiring process, and that you appreciate the flexibility of the platform. Regarding your recruitment software, we are currently integrated with 10 different platforms, and there are more on the roadmpa for Q4. Can you share the name of your specific software? I can take a look and see if it is on the current roadmap :)

Faheem
  • Industry: Automotive

Great Product - Makes assessing candidates a breeze

Reviewed on 08/07/2022

TestGorilla is a brilliant tool that results in huge cost savings in that it offers full scale psychometric assessment functionality without the huge expense of OD or Organisational psychologists to interpret results.

Pros

Very easy to use and understand

Excellent assessment results presentation and information relevant to the recruiting process

Cons

I have yet to identify anything that I like less, this product has added significant value to my role as HR Manager

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Faheem! Glad to hear that Testgorilla is helping you in your role as a HR Manager. Also happy to hear that we are helping you to keep costs down while still maintaining a successful hiring process :)

Volker
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Could have been a helpful software if it worked and there was a customer service

Reviewed on 08/03/2022

With virtually no existing customer service, a waste of money and effort and a damage to the reputation of the user. Stay away!

Pros

I liked the simplicity and the ease-of-use.

Cons

The administrator could not add a second email address for the recruiter because the recruiter had previously opened a demo account with TestGorilla. TestGorilla was not able to fix the problem and after a day, did not reply to any service requests by the administrator and the recruiter anymore. So a number of job openings ended up with the recruiter not beeing able to perform his duties and job applicants turned away. Besides, Myers Briggs personality test ("16 types") returned 3 times ESTJ out of 3 candidates. Questionable.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Volker, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your experience. We fully accept that you waited an unusually long period of time for your issue to be resolved. This was a period of increased ticket volumes, for various reasons, and it took us longer than normal to answer. This issue was solved on March 10 for you, 6 days after the ticket was submitted. We wish you the best with your hiring for the future, and hope that TG will be part of the process.

Sue
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Screening and tracking made easy

Reviewed on 14/07/2022

Recruitment used to be soul destroying when having to screen through endless unsuitable CVs for more complex positions. This has made the process much quicker, more effective and resulted in us interviewing more suitable candidates. Candidates get a faster response which also improves their experience.

Pros

This platform is a game changer. My favourite features are: The variety of tests, the ability to create specific links for different applicant sources, the automated rejections process and the downloadable excel reports which allow for filtering and sorting data and tracking responses from different advertisements. I love how much time it saves and how easy it is to use.

Cons

We have had some minor glitches with the technology periodically but these have been quickly addressed by the support team.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Sue! Thank you so much for your detailed feedback. We are very glad that we have been able to help you save time in the hiring process. Also happy to hear that candidate experience has been positively impacted as a result of using TestGorilla as well!

Deb
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Recommended!

Reviewed on 11/08/2022

Feedback from our ATS tells us that integration with TG is straightforward and simple and that was really important to us to have the testing and recruitment tracking all in one place. Communication with TG has been really good and regular.

Pros

I really enjoy the simplicity of using Test Gorilla, and the range of features that it offers. There are so many testing options that really support finding the right person for the right role.

Cons

Although not currently much of an issue, it may be that for large volume recruitment the tracking page may get very busy to co-ordinate. However that's hypothetical at the moment. There's nothing I don't currently like about TG!

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Deb! Thanks a lot for your review; it's always great to hear from customers :) Glad to hear that you have had a positive experience so far with TestGorilla. Indeed the ATS integrations are very simple and intuitive, just like the rest of the platform. Welcome to the TG community!

Ashlee
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for 1-5 months

Useful but needs improvement

Reviewed on 09/07/2021

Pros

The ability to customize tests with self selection from the array provided helps the test be more specific to what we need verification of before hiring for a high demand position.

Cons

The test options are plentiful but some are confusing, the inability to do more than see 2-3 questions preview makes it hard to know if the test truly matches what you need without taking the test yourself (which should be Free to allow admin to do so and verify the test matches company needs).
The timed feature on self made test questions should be more flexible, 2 minutes is unfortunately not enough time for longer test questions with lots of detailed options for slow readers.
The inability to change a test after its been sent to an applicant means multiple versions of the same test for the same position now exist and theres no way to "label" it to know which version has which testers, forcing me to open each option and look through the test names to find who im looking for.
More tests that are less corporate office and a few more options that match small business needs (such as time management questions which fit more corp settings than small 3 man office).

Brandon
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Bait and Switch

Reviewed on 27/06/2022

Pros

I did like the video questions best, watch out for bait and switch. I signed up for a year in May, which they have already changed, and now they change the tiers and features, and video questions are no longer part of the package and now they want me to upgrade to a much more expensive plan that is more the 10x as expensive.

Cons

Features of plans change.
Watch out for bait and switch. I signed up for a year in May, which they have already changed, and now they change the tiers and features, and video questions are no longer part of the package and now they want me to upgrade to a much more expensive plan that is more the 10x as expensive.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Brandon, sorry to hear that you haven't had a positive experience with TestGorilla recently. In fact, what happened here is that there were some changes made to improve the platform and change some features. These changes were planned to come into effect at the end of the current subscription, but something happened during the release whereby they took effect immediately. This was quickly rectified, as you can see, and you will retain the features you paid for until the end of your current plan!

Terrible experience

Reviewed on 04/10/2023

I used Test Gorilla because I needed an easy and quick tool for the recruitment process. I paid the subscription and started to work with them.Unfortunately, months later, I noticed they charge for every possible assessment added and, moreover, they do not give you any alert for it.Not an email, not an alert during the creation of the assessment. They basically do their best to hide the cost of each assessment.I spent more than €600 because of this "veiled" UX. And you know what? they will not refund anything, for sure :) Terrible experience

Pros

The easy way to create an assessment.

Cons

Hidden costs.

Response from TestGorilla

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review TestGorilla.
Some months ago we launched a new pricing structure; now all you get unlimited access to all our tests within your subscription, there are no add-ons of any kind.

We're sorry you didn't have a great experience and do recommend reaching out to our Customer Success team for assistance.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Tjaša
  • Used for 6-12 months

Great price performance, wide test selection

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Pros

I really like how customizable it is and the selection of tests it offers. The offering for these types of services for smaller companies, which can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on recruitment is rather limited. TestGorilla gives you the option to objectively compare candidates with one another against criteria that matters most to you.

Cons

There were some bugs at some point (months ago), but they responded immediately, corrected the issue, and notified and apologized to the candidates. They also gave back the credits for the analyses in question.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the great review! We love to hear that you're getting value out of our growing Test Library. Also happy that support was able to help you with your issue.

Rebecca
  • Industry: Telecommunications

A helping hand within the interview process

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

It is a good addition to have together with the interview process as you can actually test the actual capabilities of the candidate which many times are not proved during an interview. With test Gorilla, you can actually test this. Filtering of applications is faster and thus so is the interview process.

Pros

The ease of use and the detail of the results plus the flexibility in the choice of tests available when building up the tests which caters for various job titles. You can also compare candidates and thus makes your life easier.

Cons

We had an issue where a candidate concluded the test without taking the tests fully and we wanted him to re-take the test, however it did not allow me to resend the same test to the same email address.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for your feedback, Rebecca! Glad to know TestGorilla is helping you make better hiring decisions! For the issue you mentioned, in the future, you'll just need to delete the candidate from the assessment, and then you can re-invite them to take it again.

Jaime

Great assessment software and easy to use

Reviewed on 31/01/2022

Pros

TestGorilla had a great library of tests of the roles we usually look for.

Cons

At first, we didn't like that the questions for each candidate weren't viewable. We later understood that this makes sense in order to minimize the chances of cheating.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Jaime! Thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us a review :) Happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience with TG so far! We take cheating very seriously, as do most of our customers,, so it makes sense to us to keep the answers to our rigorously prepared tests private. It means that you are seeing the true measure of your candidates abilities when they take one of our assessments, as you can be sure they are not cheating!

Ed

Hard to use, not functional, tests are meh

Reviewed on 08/03/2022

It wasn't great. I had used Criteria Corp in the past and chose TG since it was less expensive. Given the cost, I had hoped that it would give me 50% of the ease and functionality and reporting that I got from CC. In the end, I found that I got less than 10% of those attributes. It was a disappointment.

Pros

It was cheaper than other options. I thought that they would have good tests.

Cons

It was hard to use, the tests were ok.

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Ed, Thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you didn't think that TestGorilla was a good alternative to Criteria Corp. We have 3 paid plans, and we believe each of them offer great, competitive value, when compared to other similar platforms. We also have over 200 unique, expertly created tests in our Test Library. That said, I would love to hear directly from you, on what you believe we can improve. Please feel free to reach out to me at the email provided.

Marnix
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Hidden Costs of Use

Reviewed on 14/03/2022

Way to expensive for what it has to offer. Without knowing it the system silently "upgraded" itself a few times causing extremely high costs. When this was mentioned, no response.

Pros

Easy to sent assessments to new hires with also the video function that avoids cheating.

Cons

Automatic invoices that are triggered without warning.
Low quality tests for developers

Response from TestGorilla

Hi Marnix, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback, even though you feel that TestGorilla is not right for your company. We are happy to take onboard your feedback about the pricing structure, and it might be good news to hear that our product team is currently working on a simplification of our pricing structure. It also seems that our CCO, Tom, was in direct contact with you and has resolved your issue since you posted this review. Please know that you are welcome to get in touch at any stage to discuss your plan with our Customer Success team, and we would be happy to hear from you. Wishing you all the best with your hiring process!