4.1
Industry: Facilities Services

Current Mechanical Jonas Review

Reviewed on 10/03/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We are now doing more with less staff due to the efficiencies that Jonas has brought up related to time entry and document review utilizing Jonas Documents, now our managers can view invoices for jobs and work orders without having to dig thru large files. We also have improved data entry with payroll due to upload capability from Field Time and eMobile.

Pros

The features that have been the most impactful would be the eMobile and Field Time applications which have allowed us to go paperless in the office and become more efficient at managing our jobs and work orders. The product is easy to use and support is always able to help out when necessary as well as the trainers involved with each system. Integration with our existing business processes has been easy.

Cons

The only thing we have not liked is the hosted server thru Contegix, but we are moving in early May of 2020 to Jonas Azure and have heard great things about that service offering.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Jason P.
Industry: Accounting

Bang for your buck

Reviewed on 07/02/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have had a very positive 9 years with Jonas and the Jonas team. If we ever have an issue no matter how big or small the Jonas team have taken the time to talk to us and make sure any issue is resolved

Pros

Jonas Software and the Jonas Team are dedicated to the philosophy that we are in business together! They are constantly improving the software to meet the current needs of the construction industry, partnering with other software companies, welcome input and feed back from the users, all to create a product that is a functional tool for all levels of your organization.

Cons

When I invoice my customers and the contracts are in the million dollar price range the commas don't print on the invoice forcing me to manually adjust the invoices prior to sending them out

Adam W.

Great Value!

Reviewed on 16/04/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Jonas allows us to integrate every aspect of our company into one software package. This allows every department to be on the same page, in real time, which is of great value to us.

Cons

There are some features that we've heard are in the pipeline, that never seem to come to fruition.

Amber M.
Industry: Facilities Services

An accounting-focused software that focuses on the minutia instead of general ease of use.

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

Pros

Jonas creates an almost sterile accounting environment where every move is tracked and audited, increasing visibility of individual tasks. Processes are broken down into very small steps which can be helpful if you're looking for an audit trail. The mobile portion (emobile) of Jonas Enterprise is a valuable addition for field workers and dispatchers alike.

Cons

Visually the interface leaves much to be desired. Scale and size are unchangeable and there are many screens and modules that are so miniscule as to render them unreadable. Mobile-wise the visuals get better but are not quite user friendly for service individuals in the middle of a job.
Jonas creates such a lengthy process for every single task that it can seem like you are taking 7 steps that could have been accomplished in one. While the audit function of Jonas is a highlight for the developers, as an ordinary user I can say it is something I never use but is incorporated into everything I do whether I like it or not. Boasted as a "true accounting software" I can't help but imagine it was an accountant's evil fantasy to produce such a laborious process to accomplish small daily tasks.
When Jonas is forced to go big, it fails spectacularly. Financial reporting is and general overview is so fuzzy and diluted it's almost useless. Because Jonas creates so much data on the micro scale, large reports and financial analysis provides very little useful information. Drill down does not exist in the true sense of the word.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Jennifer T.

Jonas & Emobile

Reviewed on 10/02/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Being able to use Jonas and Jonas Emobile has made things much easier and eliminated the duplication of running two seperate systems.

Pros

I like that we can all use one system, from the administration, to accounting and the technicians using the Emobile application. You can easily extract service information, maintenance information or accounting related information.

Cons

Creating reports and making your own documents is not easy. And though we love the addition of Emobile, we do run into problems that require help from the Jonas Support Team.

Patsy R.

Jonas for Construction

Reviewed on 10/03/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Jonas has really streamlined our accounting processes and made us more efficient.

Pros

The main reason we switched to Jonas was for the Job Costing feature and it continues to to make our life easier. Payroll has also proven to make us more efficient, particularly with dealing with multiple union agreements.

Cons

What I like least about Jonas is the Report Design feature. I find it difficult to maneuver and create the reports that I need.

Dina P.

Jonas May 5

Reviewed on 05/05/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

We are using this software over 10 years, since we have grown and need to track labour and materials per job site, Jonas does this for us.

Cons

I have 2 monitors, when I open a new window, it ways opens twice... this just started after my last upgrade. its annoying.

Gonzalo P.
Industry: Consumer Services

Good Job Costing

Reviewed on 02/11/2018

overall this is a solid enterprise software for construction companies

Pros

it is a full enterprise system, it has a nice owner dashboard. the job costing is great and the report writer is also good.

Cons

the accounting side is a bit weak, the balance sheet would get out of balance sometimes. the overall look of the software is a bit outdated.

Dave G.

Reviewed on 28/08/2011
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have used Jonas for over 1 1/2 years. However, we have recently changed to another software company. The reason we went to Jonas was because our previous system was DOS based and did not have a strong service package. We have a fast growing service department which has increased from approximately 15 techs to over 30 techs in the last 5 years.

After reviewing multiple companies we felt Jonas was the best selection for service. However, there was a problem with Jonas on the contracting side. We could not "trust" our numbers. The program would give us different amounts for the same project. It really had problems in retention amounts that differed from 10% retention.

I think that some of the problem was our input. It was not easy and for whatever reason we decided (for Jonas) that we should have decentralized inputting of information. Therefore we had project managers inputting information. In the past that was always a function of support staff.

Another negative is that they are a Canadian company and the way they perform some of their business practices are different than what we perform. The function and terminology is different. The people are extremely helpful, however.

The positives about Jonas is that our service liked the service options available. If you have a service company that does not have a large contracting base I think they would be OK. There is a lot of information in Jonas that can be used to analyze your company. There are also some very good items like the hand held devices and customer information feed back loops, customer scheduling and a very good dispatch board.

Response from Kevin

Thank you for the review. We appreciate the acknowledgment of the decision to decentralize the inputting of data. We found that we did have some minor issues but it was the incorrect inputting of data that created the imbalance. We have reviewed this and according to other clients using the same modules, the Jonas job cost retention functionality balances and is sound, the data is trustworthy. Additionally, in regards to Jonas Software being a Canadian Company, we are actually worldwide and a majority of our clients are located in the US. Although our head office is located in Toronto, we are experienced in successfully dealing with our U.S. clients for over 20 years.

Shelley H.

Jonas

Reviewed on 20/04/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software offers many different report options. With time I have learned where to find and utilize these reports.

Cons

I found it difficult to determine which reports would produce the information I was seeking. With time I have learned which reports and options provide the information I need.

Paula A.

Long Time User

Reviewed on 21/06/2019
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I have been very satisfied and happy with Jonas. Their improvements and new ideas every year are very beneficial to my company. In the beginning of our purchase of Jonas, project management was new, and since then ( almost 10 years ago), it has come such a long way, and has continuous improvements. The changes and the growth that has been made over the last 10 years has made my company more productive, has allowed us to analyze, keep track of certain important items ( job related, and human resource related) and help us grow our company, since we know we can handle any situation internally.

Pros

There are many things I love about Jonas. Here's just a few

1. The structure of the entire software, for example, how the trial balance ties into the general ledger, which then can tie into your job costing and your work orders. In addition to consolidating financial statements.

2. When a mistake is made, you can not delete it. It's there for good. You can fix it, but not delete it. This actually helps when needing to figure something out months later.

3. Job costing module, especially for gross profit analysis. This is very robust module, and works amazing to analyze on a company basis or at a job level basis.

4. Restrictions or an individual user, or a group of users. There are not only restrictions by module, but by button, by job etc. Security and restrictions for administrators all the way to super intendents is great. There have been many times where we have allowed a project manager to do something, and then we realized they shouldn't have access, and we made the change instantaneously.

Cons

There isn't much that I dislike about Jonas, but there are a couple of items I believe need improvement:

1. Procedures on how to do a specific task, including tricks and short cuts. There is an online module for all procedures, but doesn't give you everything.

2. Jonas Contacts, not very easy to use. Understanding where to create a contact ( job related or non job related), where the contacts are kept, as well as needing more people in my company to understand how to use it.

Jackie P.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Commercial/Residential Electrica Contractor. Jonas was the right fit for us.

Reviewed on 24/02/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have been live with Jonas for a little over a year. As with ANY software, it isn't perfect and will not suit every need. It is impossible for a software to please everyone as we all run our businesses differently. We shopped several software options, and for our medium size company with a service department, Jonas fit us best. I agree, the reports are very simplistic in format and do take some getting used to. I had to look beyond pretty pictures and format as what is really important to us is the data.

The Pro and Con to Jonas is it is HIGHLY customizable. With that, there needs to be a very thoughtful process to how you set it up in the beginning. Which is a challenge since you won't know how some things work until you are using it. It is a very robust software for the price, in my opinion, and will take patience and time to learn all it can do. I found that the very basics such as entering A/P, work orders, creating jobs are very easy to learn. The complexity comes when you want/expect to rely less on outside software and spreadsheets.

Our company borders two states, one with a multi-jurisdiction sales tax schedule. Every payroll or sales tax requirement Jonas has been able to handle. Jonas is able to handle multi-state, multi union payrolls. Something we found not very many programs could throw in a service department and it became very small unless I wanted to buy a program that equated us to driving a bus down the road for 3 people while spending 6 figures. No thank you.

Pros

My favorite is the Project Control screen. From there, our project managers can drill down and get all the information they need in one quick and easy place. Each person can customize some of the drill down screens to tailor to their individual needs. AIA/progress billing is easy with the step by step menu. It is also easy to go back and adjust if needed. The ability to set controls across the various modules. Your voice is heard. I have always been able to talk thru a challenge with support and management. They listen and if the demand is there they will put it in the next product update.

Cons

The stock payroll reports haven't fit very well for us. But Jonas is working on that. Cluttered menu items that hang in there because their long-time customers still use them. It is confusing when you are first learning.

Katelynn W.

I am Happy Long-term Client that has been using Jonas since 2001

Reviewed on 02/08/2018

Great trainers who are very knowledgeable and professional. They work with us to troubleshoot any issues we are having with prompt response time!

Pros

We found Jonas easy to learn because they have THE BEST trainers and customer support. We have gotten to know that staff over the years and they are awesome! Doesn’t matter if we have big or small questions - they are always willing to help us. We use the system for A/R, A/P, G/L, Payroll, Project Management, Service Management, Inventory, and Equipment. The reporting is the best part because we are able to fully drill down and see how all projects are doing at any point in time. We’ve also been able to grow our service management side because of their Dispatch Board and the mobile solution. We love it!!! And last but not least, the payroll makes my life so much easier, having both union and non-union – this makes it a breeze. As a Union Electrical Contractor working in over ten different locals in California, this is imperative to have this functionality. Jonas Software has changed the way the company operates, saving time, making things more organized, and more proficient. Jonas is always listening to clients and they truly care and live up to their promise of being a partner rather than just a provider. We are able to have full insight into our business and we’ve been able to grow because of the software!

Cons

At this time I can not think of any cons.

Dustin P.

Excellent Company and Great Software

Reviewed on 26/03/2019
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I think the largest benefit of Jonas is not the software itself, but the people you'll work with. They are a well run organization, and just by their example have helped us improve. The annual User Conference is a great way to interact with Jonas employees, give your input on future development, and meet other Jonas customers with similar concerns to your own.

Pros

We are an MEP contractor with a little over 100 employees in four operating locations. Jonas fits our needs very well. Our previous software did not provide the data we needed to be able to best run our business, especially when it came to multiple operating divisions in multiple locations. We can now easily see profitability on our construction jobs at any point in the project, we are more organized in our service department, and our A/R has improved.

Cons

As with any of these software products, it took us a while to get acclimated to Jonas. The test company they set up before we went live was helpful, but it still takes time to get used to how it all works. Now that we've had time, we are all comfortable with how to navigate the software and get the information we need.

R. scott T.

Jonas Review

Reviewed on 24/02/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Jonas is our third ERP software program we have used in 20 years in business. Learned a lot about selection process' by knowing my experiences with the first two. I also learned none of them do everything, all of them will hiccup from time to time. So my selection of Jonas centered around: 1. Is their customer service responsive (yes), 2. Do they constantly try to improve the product based on customer input (yes), 3. Is the product fairly priced (yes). and is the annual fee structure reasonable (yes). We also needed a strong field mobile platform as we have used wireless field mobile solutions for many years. Jonas has worked very well for us, we continue to get training on new modules and features we can use to make our company process/ better.

Pros

Constantly looking for ways to improve a product and they do not wait until year end to release updates if they are ready they release them. Customer service is very responsive if you need immediate help. Training is very high quality, conversion from our old to the new system was without trouble and well planned.

Cons

Dispatch board does not schedule projects or long term service work well (works very well for day to day calls) but they developed a project scheduler that looks promising for that.

Sandra H.
Industry: Construction

Our Jonas experience has been an excellent move for our business.

Reviewed on 23/05/2018

We have experienced increased productivity on the administrative side of our business and higher accuracy in all areas.

Pros

eMobile and Dispatch Scheduler have helped us to respond to customer service requests in a more organized and timely manner. The integration part of this software has increased our productivity enormously. No more paper work orders! And has made the accounting side of our business seamless from service tech to customer invoice. Payroll accuracy has increased and timeliness of getting invoices out to customers has increased because of the techs ability to use devices to complete work orders and we are not waiting for them to be turned into the office.

Cons

I find the Job Costing module very cumbersome. The job invoicing is a little arduous. When doing multiple customers for monthly draws, it is very time consuming to have to go in and out of each job to invoice. Also, if you do not have a bill to set up in accounts receivable you have to exit the job master, then go to AR to set up the bill to and back into the job master to finish your set up.

Caitlyn M.

Jonas Construction

Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall as a new user (myself) with Jonas, I find it has been a good experience. It isn't the most effective user friendly software, but at the same time it definitely is not the worse; It is worth giving this software a shot. The more you use it, the easier and better it is. Plus, like I mentioned previously, their support team is great. The team is very quick and knowledgeable when it comes to fixing problems. I really like that everything we do can be done in Jonas, and we don't have to toggle back and forth between different screens to do our daily tasks. The Jonas Support Team is very quick and knowledgeable when it comes to fixing problems.

Pros

It is user friendly when it comes to different departments: project management, estimating, accounting, etc.. Everything is done in one software.

Cons

Working in accounting, I find there are some glitches in the system. I don't find it is as user friendly as Sage50 that is solely based on accounting use. For example, I find where Sage takes 1 click to make a change, Jonas takes 3. It could be a little better developed on the accounting side.

Mike G.
Industry: Construction

Well worth the time and money you put into the software

Reviewed on 29/10/2019
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall we are very pleased! We use EMobile to handle all of our service technicians and the construction package, general ledger, payroll and A/R are all solid packages.

Pros

Great flexibility once you learn how to use it! Put the effort in ahead of time and during setup, get the buy in from your staff and given a little time you will have a solid package that is able to be tailored to your business. We were able to eliminate separate data bases we were keeping on different platforms due to the limitations of our previous software package!

Cons

Report writer could be a little more robust but overall it is not difficult to get the information you need from the system

Dustin P.

Very Satisfied User

Reviewed on 27/02/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our company switched software products to Jonas just over 1 year ago. We had outgrown our old system. We've been extremely pleased with both the Jonas software and the Jonas staff we've interacted with. Our company has just over 100 employees in four office locations. This system can handle our multiple divisions without being too complicated or cumbersome to use.

Pros

The primary issue with our last software was an inability to get good reporting and data from the system, especially for our multi-divisional operation. The report writer in Jonas is a very useful tool, and the financial drill-down capabilities are excellent. We also now have real-time job cost data, and more detailed P&Ls, which has helped our ability to manage construction work.

Cons

No software product is perfect. We've had to adapt a few of our internal processes to fit the way Jonas is made to operate, but nothing has come up that we haven't been able to work around. The Jonas trainers are also an excellent resource we've utilized to make the system work as best it can for us.

Bruce K.

Flooring contractor / reseller - after 6 years of Jonas experience

Reviewed on 16/03/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software handles WIP reporting very well. The subcontractor module provides good controls. The design of sales tax location codes provides good flexibility in sales tax reporting. The product has well-integrated applications. The F2 lookup ability in modules is consistently designed and very helpful.

Cons

1) I would like more standard reporting capabilities. Some reports need Report Generator reports to create. Others require DataMart. DataMart can obtain good results, but it is too complex for anyone but a programmer to design. Almost all contractors have to deal with reporting workers comp and sales taxes, so these reports should be part of a standard product and not need custom programming.
2) During conversion in 2008, it was difficult to fully convert existing data into Jonas and also tie everything to jobs.
3) Portions of the programming have fields with too few characters available. Examples are the Customer PO field in Job Cost and A/R, along with the part number field in inventory.

Jeremy P.

Small construction/service company.

Reviewed on 25/04/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Lots of features and fairly easy to use.
Customer support, when we've needed it, has be good and typically provided in a timely manner.

Cons

Old interface. 15 character limit on inventory items (and having to use alternate part numbers) needs to be fixed. Even the alternate part numbers are too small for many of our parts.
Purchase order numbers, and cheque numbers are too short.
New modules seem like add-ons to the base program, rather than a complete integrated solution.
Inability to access some fields for custom reports. Some built in reports are poorly implemented.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Lesa P.

11 Years of Loyality!!

Reviewed on 25/04/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

When we first came on board with Jonas in 2007 we had some issues being an excavation contractor in Pennsylvania with the state Prevailing wages, taxes, etc. but Jonas worked through those issues with us and now I highly recommend them!! I have been on many different software packages and Jonas is my favorite!!

Pros

Have always loved the support and ease of logging a support call. Staff is very knowledgeable!! Updates are easy to load. Jonas listens to clients needs for any changes that benefit the client.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about Jonas. I have never had any thing to complain about with them. Everything is great!

Cindy V.
Industry: Construction

After some training it is a very indepth easy to use program

Reviewed on 04/04/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The customer support are amazing and really know their product!!!

Pros

The customer support whenever you have an issue, question or concern is outstanding, when you log a case they get back to you very quickly.

Cons

The system can be a little overwhelming if you do not have some training, but once you have been working with it for awhile (if you have worked with other accounting software) it is very user friendly at least for the general areas of each module. If you search in the tutorials Jonas is quite good at supplies assistance for most of the modules.
Therefore I can not really find a con.

Jason M.

Jonas Software

Reviewed on 23/05/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software gives us all the tools we need to run efficiently with modules for Financial Reports, Payroll, Inventory, Project Management, Subcontracting, and more.
There is plenty of training available both online, by phone, and in person so all questions are answered in a very reasonable time. Comparable products are considerably more expensive and do the same things Jonas does for a far more reasonable price. the value cannot be overstated.
Most importantly, Jonas is one of those companies that truly takes an interest in their clientele and it shows.

Cons

The transition process is intensive so time and dedication is required initially, but once it is done things flow very smoothly.

Nick H.
Industry: Construction

We have been using Jonas Enterprise just over 6 years. Not happy with the product. Unfortunately we spent over our budget at the time and have added all the modules they offer over the years. Lots of promises that the software will be improved and the dat

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

low budget product

Pros

Unfortunately we spent to much money on this product. I honestly can't think of any pros. we went with this product initially because it was a Canadian company and they would have a better handle on the accounting piece. our accountants think the software isa joke.

Cons

- Currently the it runs on a data base that no one uses, out dated. the company does a great job marketing the product but once you start using it, you will come to discover its not that good. Some examples:
Job names, contract numbers, part numbers etc , only allow a limited number of characters. some times client PO's or contract numbers are 15-20 characters or more and the field doesn't allow for more than 12.
- Many more to list, will probably run out of room.
- Support is not good.
- document control does not sync well, cannot drag and drop items from document management or emails back and forth
- EBI always go down.
- design your own forms has many limitations not customizable
- project scheduler is not customizable
- dispatch scheduler does not sync smoothly with the software
- e-mobile is a joke, not customizable
- no automatic update functionality for the software. has to been done manually. have to end all service to update and restart server.
- maintenance fees are very expensive, not worth it