Subscription Management & Recurring Billing Software

Peter
Peter

Reliable recurring billing platform

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Pros

Chargebee is a very effective platform for recurring billings. It allows you to create plans, addons, coupons, and invoice reliably time and again.

Cons

Complex billing situations, such as sending a customer a single invoice for several subscriptions, are a bit more complex and require a lot of meddling with the system.

Response from Chargebee

Hi Peter,

We do have a feature called Consolidated Invoicing that provides the functionality to consolidate and send out a single invoice for multiple subscriptions of a customer. We will send out a detailed email to you on this feature at the earliest.

László

Excellent subscription management platform

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Overall a very capable subscription management tool with great integrations and great support them!

Pros

Excellent platform to manage your Saas Business. Great, very easy to use integrations with many vendors (Stripe, QuickBooks, Zapier, etc). Highly customizable settings for everything: email templates, the general look, and even the workflow & the custom fields.

Cons

Takes some time to get used to how to work together with your app and integrate everything to work flawlessly, but it worth it. I just wished that when the client has to select the quantity of their licenses, you could edit the label from Quantity to "users" or "licenses".

MemberMouse and Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Chargebee

Integrations is a big plus!

To be avoided, it will cost you LT!

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

Pros

Chargebee started as a good product challenging Recurly but now it's really one of the worst decision we ever took

Cons

Their representative explicitly lied to to us to get us on a higher pricing in order to get his bonus and then you are stuck with another representation trying to get you to pay even to get his bonus aswell for the same feature that were promised earlier by someone else.

Their management really needs to train their staff better & decide on a pricing policy that aligns interest (fixed or variable -- you can have it both ways! )

First chance we get, we get away from this scamming company!

Recurly, Odoo, Zuora, Stripe, GoCardless and Zoho Invoice
Sam
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Imperfect, but still pretty good

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

Mostly positive. Myself (non-technical) and my technical team have been able to integrate with our product and website with few issues aside from the previously mentioned requests. Also, my email with Chargebee is [email protected] (old email) even though I have [email protected] listed here.

Pros

I'm able to handle my payment processing, recurring subscriptions, license validation, reports and more all from the same product.

Cons

Usually support is helpful but there have been a few times when the feature just isn't available and there was no timetable given as to when it could be added (or how I could make sure the development team received my request). Two examples- you can't hide the subscription amount when someone is signing up for a free trial and if you have a free trial assigned to a plan the user can't skip the free trial if they want to be charged immediately (you can help them with this on the backend, which adds friction).

Easy Subscription Management

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

It has been useful to set up our automated subscription plans. Creating different plans, promos, and payment methods were quite easy.

Pros

Chargebee makes it very easy to set up automatic billing, subscription creation, and setting up promos for our customers. The interface is fairly straightforward to navigate and they connect with much of our tech stack, which helps streamline workflows.

Cons

Not much to not like. There are a lot of settings, such as reminders and notifications that you need to make sure you set up if you want to stay on top of your billing. Once they are set up, they are very helpful!

Samuel

Account renewal team is a complete disaster : hidden fees

Reviewed on 30/11/2023

Disaster on the invoicing and billing part in our case because of the overusage and renewal team

Pros

Great integration with Salesforce
Great for multi-entities
Many useful features and overall ok product

Cons

The renewal team will rip you off : they will charge overusage fees (Over 12K per month on a 3K /month contract) with 0 notification sent, 0 approach from the account manager.
Once you try to renegociate, they don't want to use the overusage fees (36K in our case) to pay off the new contract.
Never had such an experience with any saas and we consume hundreds of them

David

Seamless subscriptions and recurring revenue

Reviewed on 26/07/2022

Pros

Chargebee allows our team to seamlessly manage subscriptions and recurring revenue. UI is simple and clear, with all the features required

Cons

We haven't had major issues with Chargebee in about two years of working with it

Stripe
Matt

Excellent product and service

Reviewed on 30/08/2022

It's been great to have more than an API as our billing provider. CB is a true partner.

Pros

Chargebee makes it painless to manage subscription billing on top of a payment processor or gateway, along with a modern interface from a team that "gets" SaaS. But the best part is their attention to you as a customer and their willingness to meet or exceed your expectations repeatedly. As a startup, this is invaluable.

Cons

As with any critical service, there are occasional data migrations or updates that must be navigated, but the CB team has always made this as easy as possible.

Reviewed on 29/07/2020

This is the first software that I have used and I found it very easy to learn. I spent a morning going thorugh and learning the ropes and was an expert by the afternoon! Their customer service is awesome and provides great help. However, because it is easy to use, I have not had to use their help more than once.

Pros

Chargebee is easy to use and quick to learn. You are able to access subscriptions with ease. Creating email templates to be sent out is easy. You can view all of your subscriptions on one page or you can add filters to find one specific subscription, too.

Cons

With the email templates, you have to make sure that the client you are sending an email to, has to be in a filter, otherwise, you send it to your entire client base.

Hardik
Hardik
  • Industry: Information Services

Best SaaS subscription billing platform

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Pros

I have been using Chargebee for over a year now and I am completely in love with it. It's the best SaaS subscription billing platform out there and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to start a subscription based business. The customer service is also fantastic, they are always available to help and their responses are quick.

Cons

Some of configuration is complex to understand. But thier customer support is quick to help us.

Stripe

Code quality is terrible. UI is confusing. Full of bugs.

Reviewed on 19/01/2022

A total disaster. Spent over 2 months trying to get everything working, but I kept hitting bugs and problems.

Pros

The backend code looks nice, but the frontend is a disaster.

Cons

Obviously no one is testing or maintaining the code. It's half baked, buggy and the user interface is bad.

Recurly

Reasons for Choosing Chargebee

I don't like Wordpress or PHP and wanted something more modern. Unfortunately Chargebee's code is old and crusty and worse than Woocommerce.

WooCommerce

Reasons for Switching to Chargebee

I should have done more research. Chargebee is a 'unicorn' with 300 million dollars. I don't know what they spent the money on, but obviously not the code. It's all marketing and hype.
Daniel

Easy with many possibilities

Reviewed on 03/06/2022

Simple to set up and easy to use. Nice support for customers.

Simple to set up and easy to use. Nice support for customers.

Pros

The implementation into our product and Slack. Statistic overview. It is very easy to set up customer and provide them also with info/status mails too.

Cons

To be honest, chargebee gives me more that I expected :D. Billing and subscription service was that what we need. And of course, the different types of mails notifications.

Tina
  • Industry: Veterinary

Great for startups

Reviewed on 19/04/2022

Every interaction with them has been great. They are always friendly and helpful, responding in the appropriate amount of time based on the request.

Pros

It is really helpful to have a place to start with all the templates and architecture. I was able to configure everything myself with no need for a developer.

Cons

Although it is a good thing that you can't just go in and delete things, the "archive" function still shows the custom fields to choose from in the email templates. Later in time, someone else may not know not to use it.

Razvan
Razvan

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Pros

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing. I have tried implementing Braintree without Chargebee and it was a nightmare.

Cons

I have nothing to complain. They are improving all the time and doing its job.

Todd, Chair, BostonCHI

Chargebee is great!

Reviewed on 18/05/2013

Our small local professional org / non-profit was looking for a newsletter / member management system that was supported and not going to break the bank. During our investigations of MailChimp, we learned about Chargebee. While a relatively new company, we were given confidence by MailChimp's endorsement. We went live a week ago with our new solutions and cannot be happier.

Pros

We've found Krish and his team to be super helpful. They were responsive and informative to our pre-sales questions and have been helpful setting us up with their system. Generally, the product is very easy to use. They are receptive to feedback.

Cons

Since Chargebee is a new company, there are a few rough spots, for example, when using their hosted payment pages, any payment errors are generic. Also, for someone not familiar with payments, some of the configuration took some work.

Response from Chargebee

Thank you Todd. A pleasure to work with you. Your inputs on your use cases certainly helped us & your review has been a great help to import your existing subscriptions. Looking forward to a long relationship. Thank you.

Kirti
Kirti

Enabling Businesses to Monetize their Subscription Models Effectively

Reviewed on 16/02/2023

Additionally, Chargebee's customer support and documentation are well-regarded, with many users praising the company's responsiveness and helpfulness in resolving any issues or answering questions

Pros

Streamline your subscription management with Chargebee's all-in-one platform,Chargebee's powerful billing and revenue automation features make subscription management a breeze,Get paid faster and grow your business with Chargebee's flexible payment options

Cons

Chargebee's revenue recognition capabilities give you accurate insights into your business's financial health.

Valentin
Valentin

Simply Awesome Subscription Billing that JUST WORKS!

Reviewed on 28/10/2015

I''ve been relying on Chargebee to handle all subscription needs for my online wordpress maintenance service for the last 3 years. They always went above and beyond my expectations in helping me with anything I asked of them. I have never once encountered a problem due to their service! I love their team. I respect their leadership. I highly recommend you check them out!

Pros

Fast and easy setup, Intuitive UI, Rich features, Flexible, Stable, Great support

Cons

None! Never had an issue.

Joanna
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 17/11/2023

Pros

Chargebee provides excellent customer services

Cons

Can be expensive for small businesses.

Dave

Very competent billing and subscription management product

Reviewed on 30/09/2021

The ability to measure and track ARR for a Saas product is critical to our success. The fact that it integrates with Salesforce means that we can be confident we have an accurate view of our customer's accounts.

Pros

Chargebee has plenty of features that will ensures the platform can accommodate our product as it grows.

Cons

Lot's of features adds complexity therefore the learning curve is steep. Once you have it set up though, it's a very powerful platform. Trial subscription functionality could be expanded a bit. It would be could to be able to customise a user's trial journey a bit more.

Reza Khan

Wonderful API and Support

Reviewed on 10/03/2014

I stumble across ChargeBee after searching on the web for subscription API
management for our new...

I stumble across ChargeBee after searching on the web for subscription API
management for our new signal service.

From the very start , I found the ChargeBee API very easy to use , the web
site easy to navigate and the response from our specific help requests first
rate.

Our signal service went live a couple of months ago with zero problems from
the subscription side which worked with no problems.

I can 100% recommend ChargeBee to anyone who reads this and to anyone who
emails me personally

Kate
  • Industry: Insurance

Love Chargebee, it makes our accounting a breeze!

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Great experience! Quick customer service replies if we ran into any hurdles.

Great experience! Quick customer service replies if we ran into any hurdles.

Pros

The set up was easy and tailoring the customer front end was really quick. We had connected our Stripe account and were up and running in less than one hour. The reporting seems really in depth and excited to be able to run reports in many different ways.

Cons

I wish there was a "lite" or startup pricing tier. As a small business the cost is a bit prohibitive on top of the processing fees.

Chargebee Review

Reviewed on 18/04/2019

We were looking at a few options for recurring billing and happy that we chose Chargebee. It does the work for us and we are focusing on more important tasks.

Pros

Great tool for automated recurring billing. My team was up to speed fast and didn't face any issues. Intuitive.

Cons

Not enough filters option to sort the base of users. Matters especially if you want to export lists.

• Industry: Human Resources

Good product, easy to setup

Reviewed on 16/03/2019

Pros

This product allows us to offload some of the product configuration and pricing build that we would have had to do and business users can now configure new product / feature combinations.

Cons

There are still features I wish existed such as more customization on how the pages look in the shopping cart experience.

Great service for managing your subscriptions

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Chargebee makes subscription management non-brainer.

Chargebee makes subscription management non-brainer.

Pros

Chargebee offers a powerful API to help with managing subscriptions, plans and customers

Cons

The v3 of the customer portal doesn't support all features of v2. Hope that will change

• Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 11/12/2022

Pros

The tax calculation for me was the feature that saves me a lot of time and money .But you can customise everything fast and easy

Cons

In the beginning the setup take a lot of time about 3 months and it was a quite complex