Microsoft Dynamics SL

4.1/5

88 Reviews for UK Users

Gerson M.
  • Used for 2+ years

Identify the modules you need and focus on that

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

Once you configure and deploy this solution, you get a better understanding of your clients businesses.

Pros

Multi Company functionality is fantastic. This is a product designed to empower your people and making them more productive. It's focused on Financial and projects deployments. Provides the tools to share information across the company. Budgets, Invoices, projects and information in general.
It's scalable and focused on Professional Services, Government Conntractors, Service in General, Distribution and we can say that Construction can be an industry that is perfect for this software.

Cons

It requires some hardware resources that can be overwhelming for small businesses. But the more you allocate for this area, the bigger the reward.

Holly S.

Have used Dynamics SL for around 8 years. Very comfortable with it and pretty easy to get use...

Reviewed on 09/01/2018

Using them daily, I understands many ins and outs. I've been cross trained over the years in many of the modules. I understand there will be an upgrade coming in the near future and look forward to seeing a preview of it.

Pros

Reporting is great. I use reports weekly for time sheets when entering in payroll, for commission data. All of the look up screens are simple and give great information-- such as in the modules for Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, and General Ledger.

Cons

Different modules do not speak to one another. You have to go to several different modules to complete a task, so multiple windows must be open at a time. It tends to slow down our servers and sometimes crashes when you are in the middle of something.

Karla C.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great Software!

Reviewed on 02/12/2021

Fair

Pros

Started using this software about 2 years ago and at first it was a little difficult to use it but the more you play with it the more you learn the tricks.

Cons

The amount of time it took to get used to it. Def not the most user friendly software out there.

Jeff L.
  • Industry: Philanthropy
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Tough to use, makes reconciliations a nightmare

Reviewed on 10/11/2017

Investigate NetSuite. I've heard it's better.

Pros

-The biggest pro with Dynamics SL is the interchange functionality with Excel. Exports from Dynamics SL to Excel have the formulas pre-written, and the formatting isn't great but isn't crazy. Copy and paste a journal entry from Excel to the GL!!! Yes please!
-Subledgers are abundant.
-Useful and simple multicompany reporting.
-Good for project-based accounting I guess.

Cons

Where to start? CASH MANAGER AND BANK RECONCILIATIONS. The biggest thing that drives me crazy about Dynamics SL is that users can enter an accounting event, say a check, where the check date is different than the transaction date and both are different than the post date. In other words, there is no control function over periods!!!! One transaction could impact three different periods. Go back to the check example, where a check cut on July 1 could have a period post of June 30 and a transaction date of August 1. The check shows in the GL in June, Cash manager in August, and AP aging and reports in July. Absolutely horrible control for an ACCOUNTING system.
-Not user friendly or simple to use. My staff all have over a year experience and still don't know where certain things are in the system.
-Requires a lot of third-party support, which piles on the consulting fees in addition to the fees paid for annual maintenance to Microsoft.
-DSLUG [Dynamics SL user group] doesn't seem very user friendly either. My guess is that most outstanding organizations are on different software.

I suppose there are a lot of "hidden tricks" which make you valuable if you know the system inside and out, but since most users can't just pick it up off the street [even with an accounting background], they end up paying a lot to the consultants.

Ramses miguel P.

A good accounting

Reviewed on 04/11/2021

In my overall experience, this software has helped me to keep my finance record well organized. I will continue using it because the software complies with my necessities.

Pros

Its uneasiness made me feel like an accounting savvy, I have been using this software for a couple of months, it is practical and useful.

Cons

I could say that the only thing that I really don't quite like is the price, I feel that it is a little bit expensive although the product is quite good.

Timothy J.
  • Industry: Farming
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

SL may be a legacy product but provides solid value

Reviewed on 25/01/2020

It has been in use at my company for 14 years. While lacking a modern UI, it has been a good value for the investment.

Pros

The ability to develop custom software modules using their tools. We created three robust modules that integrate with core financial, project and distribution modules.

Cons

Microsoft doesn’t seem to put much investment in the product any longer. The legacy VB.Net Windows client is dated.

• Industry: Design

The system is good for a smaller company. As our company has grown it has become difficult...

Reviewed on 02/04/2018

As a smaller company it was pretty easy to get around. I have felt the upgrades have made significant difference.

Pros

It's basic set up isn't too hard to use ONCE you have had some training. The set up of projects versus general ledger is pretty user friendly.

Cons

The reporting piece is pretty limited without customization. We have had to rebuild the general ledger and projects. If we didn't have an EXCELLENT internal support employee we would be in great trouble.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

If you are a mid-small size organization. Look no further

Reviewed on 09/09/2021

Pros

Ease of deployment. World class technical team to partner with. Cost effective. Product documentation to help with self-help after deployment. Easy and affordable support options to choose from.

Cons

Customizations. I had no problem with using this in our organization other than limited customization options. You pay for what you get. I love MS Dynamics. It was affordable. We were evolving into a mid-large size organization with complex inner-workings therefore I had to look for other options.

Jaroth M.
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Microsoft Dynamics a great tool for beginners

Reviewed on 09/11/2021

I think my experience working with this software was very good, because i have been familiarized with the microsoft software since 4 years ago and i think was very useful for me.

Pros

The Whole software is really useful, above all i think the tools and the interface is really helpful for the people that is starting with their own company, thanks to this software the employees can invest their time very well and working.

Cons

I think this software don´t have much cons, but if i can say something about it, it´s about the interface, it can be difficult for the new people use the software in a easy way.

Elizabeth D.

Great and reliable software!

Reviewed on 19/02/2018

We are currently using this software for accounting in our company

Pros

I love how extremely customizable Dynamics SL is when it comes to fitting our team needs. Also it is backed by the biggest software name in the industry so the overall quality is great

Cons

It's learning cuve is very steep because of the degree of customization built in it. But otherwise is a really great tool.

Bonnie K.
  • Industry: Government Administration

SSI Consulting/Dynamcis SL review

Reviewed on 18/02/2015

Pros

Dynamics SL is very flexible, and it handles government contracting very well. SSI does a great job of implementation and ongoing support. It is especially helpful that they understand the nuances of government contracting.

Cons

Being very flexible is good news and bad news. It means you have to be more thorough in your setup to make sure you get things the way you want them. It also means that the support consultant is critical to getting it right. SSI is great at this. Just wish there were more like them.

Dynamics SL is very flexible and great for government contractors. SSI is great in those areas as well. They have been extremely helpful, from planning and implementation through continual support.

Mohammed I.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Honest review

Reviewed on 01/11/2020

The best programm I have ever used in this field

Pros

Designed to empower my employees ; make them more productive and the most important thing is basically it makes our work more easier.

Cons

Not suitable for small business because it's allitel bit expensive for just starting business

Michelle W.

We have been able to customize SL to make it work for our company needs

Reviewed on 07/03/2018

Pros

This software is easy to pull any data you need through quick queries with the export to excel feature.

Cons

There is quite a bit of setup going into programming to get it to run the way you need it because there's different pieces to get the system to work.

Houssam E.

It is very helpful for my business

Reviewed on 01/07/2018

Pros

What I like about this product is it’s ease of use and capabilities, very helpful for my business and it is interactive

Cons

In my opinion I think it is a little bit pricy, costs too much to make it fully functional. But nonetheless it is good.

Zach N.
  • Industry: Hospitality

DynamicsSL!

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

Pros

We use this program for all our company records including invoicing, payroll, contracts, etc.

Cons

Double clicking can cause the whole system to malfunction for some reason

Allison D.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Microsoft Dynamics SL

Reviewed on 17/02/2017

Good product. Have been using it for 17+ years.

Pros

user friendly

Cons

located on a server rather than online

Terrell B.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used for 2+ years

A regular part of my job

Reviewed on 28/02/2021

I enjoyed it! The foundation that I learned on this software can be applied to multiple jobs in various industries.

Pros

The best part of this software was that it was very user friendly and easy to grasp as a new employee at the time. This software being a regular part of my job wasn’t a headache because no prior experience was required.

Cons

The downside is that technical support for troubleshooting had to be handled by our in house IT team because Microsoft’s technical support was a bit pricey.

Jose V.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Dynamic SL Review

Reviewed on 13/09/2017

Pros

Provides the necessary tools to process a service dispatch function. Have been using Dynamics SL since 2005 and at that time, it was one of the best available software that had the service dispatch module along with the accounting software. We also had a local dealer that helped us implement.

Cons

Has not kept up with changing times. Not sure how much Microsoft spend in research and development of Dynamic SL to stay current with changing technology. You have to access various screens to view information that should be available with a click. The service invoices are not connected to payroll, inventory, or purchasing. There are constant bugs in the software that we have to get a third party to fix.

Mary love F.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Easy to use. Amazing software!

Reviewed on 30/08/2018

Pros

It is a user-friendly software where you can familiarize the functions/tasks easily with lesser supervision.

Cons

So far I can't remember anything that I could say the least likeable about this product/software.

Jennifer B.

Perfect for Project Based Accounting

Reviewed on 05/09/2017

This is a real accounting system, if you've got people who have never used anything but Quickbooks, you're in for a big mess! If you've got real accountants and not bookkeepers, you will be VERY pleased with this product.

Pros

It interfaces with our purchase order software (Sapphire Build) and gives us the detailed job cost we were lacking from our old accounting software.

Cons

It is not very user friendly. Training is almost non existent for it, and it isn't a widely used software.

Magdalene I.
  • Industry: Accounting

Micooft Dynamics SL - Making Accounting Much Easier

Reviewed on 31/08/2016

Pros

It helps me with entering time from any device.
For my company, less time needs to be invested to create invoices from timecards.
•Project profitability is guaranteed as we do less of the work that tends to lose us money and more lucrative work.
•The ease with which we are able to hide unwanted fields makes data entry simple especially for he users ho don't use computers on an ever day basis.

Cons

•When we have a lot of invoices rather than just a few large invoices, it can be frustrating by how long it takes Flexible Billings to generate a lot of invoices
•It would be nice if Dynamics SL had an easy integration to some of the nicer salestax tools but its ok

Taylor C.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Dynamics SL Review - I recommend it!

Reviewed on 15/04/2016

Pros

I love the fact that Dynamics SL is extremely customizable when it comes to fitting my business needs. It is backed by arguably the biggest software name in the industry so the overall quality is definitely apparent.

Cons

The learning curve was a little steep for me which comes as a result of it being such flexible software. However, once learned, it is a very valuable resource and tool.

Mark L.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Dynamics SL works for most

Reviewed on 08/01/2019

Pros

Microsoft Dynamics SL is a good program for tracking finance, service, human resources, and more. It worked well for most companies out of the box.

Cons

The problem with Microsoft Dynamics SL is it is not ideal for a lot of companies. The software is really limited in who it is useful for. I would like it to be more flexible.

Paul H.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Controller of private company, using Microsoft Dynamics SL

Reviewed on 06/02/2015

Pros

The product is written by one of the best names out there, Microsoft, and is supported by a great team. Getting a hold of them is easy and working with them is a pleasure.

Cons

It is built with today's technology, using SQL and Crystal; tools that my IT staff is familiar with. The database is easy to navigate and the programs can be easily integrated with our own home grown system. Microsoft is always trying to improve the product and in this latest release (SL2015), they have really hit a home run with some of the new tools, features and enhancements!

Pavneet K.

It's not good

Reviewed on 15/11/2016

Everything about the system is to be disliked. The system has problems in every module you would normally use. The available canned reports don't have all the information you would want. To add fields to a report is not intuitive if possible within the scoping screens and if not possible within those screens you have to pay a consultant to customize the reports for you (and even that might not be possible). The system with give weird errors and you have to shut down your computer to try and continue on with what you were doing. The reporting tools available to link with the system are not great either and usually have trouble communicating with SL.