Gusto

4.6 (3,869)
Gusto is the all-in-one HR platform for growing businesses.

(3,869)

Carly
  • Industry: Accounting

Awesome Product and Support Staff

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons

This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QBO Payroll requires you to file most of the extra paperwork and taxes yourself, but Gusto takes care of that automatically for you.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is a really good choice for small business owners who want to have the support of a full payroll service program, without the crazy costs that can go along with that.
Chejai
Chejai
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Gusto Lead in HR and payroll software

Reviewed on 12/11/2023

Pros

I like the efficiency and literacy with the platform and that they are brisk and quick to get back to you when it comes to using the platform little to know errors

Cons

I have yet to encounter ANY ISSUES WITH GUSTO ITS SEEMS UNLIKLELY

Vincent
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy-To-Use for Medium to Large-Scale Operations

Reviewed on 04/03/2024

I like using Gusto to keep track of my clinical and administrative hours and ensure I am paid for all of my work in my designated accounts.

Pros

I continue to enjoy the ease of use of Gusto in retrieving tax and payroll documents and adjusting my direct deposits.

Cons

I believe that Gusto could have a better interface where it is easier to check my accrued leave balances and print out copies of those without having to screen shot them.

ian

Wasted my time and money, was literally counting the days until the end of the fiscal year.

Reviewed on 21/01/2021

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

Pros

Nothing. I was migrated to it from XERO, when they decided to no longer do payroll

Cons

Honestly, I HATED the stupid animated piggy bank. Probably seems trivial, but it seemed emblematic of a company that was more concerned about making their software look like an iPhone app, than making it work well. The payroll was cumbersome. It woudn't let me do payroll early, or late. It basically made me run payroll within a two day window. Bank account low? Still made you run payroll, or would hassle you about messages about being late. Want to go on vacation and do a couple weeks of payroll early? Nope, out of luck. When they told me they would manage my health care premiums, I thought, great! Nope, after a week of emails and after several phone calls, I found out they were just trying to be group managers, and insurance brokers by offering me different insurers that I could choose. Zero help if I already had a group plan set up. Plus too expensive. Patriot is way simpler, and way cheaper. I do see lots of my millenial patients that are working for startups that probably won't be in business in 5 years seem to have Gusto as their payroll, so I'm just not the business that Gusto is a fit for.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

It was really just unwieldy, and poorly designed software.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

was forced to Gusto when Xero quit doing payroll.
Usha

One of the best payroll systems for small business

Reviewed on 18/12/2023

Pros

Self Service tools that are intuitive and easy to use.
Various tools
Automation of payroll, hiring and reporting

Cons

I am quite happy with the tools and features.

ADP Workforce Now and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Tailored for small businesses. Clean and intuitive user interfaces which makes the tools easy to use.
Tiffany
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Gusto to the Rescue

Reviewed on 04/08/2023

Again, keeping everything in the same application was paramount to us. Gusto is able to streamline the HR process and the customer service is good too.

Pros

I like the ability to keep everything within Gusto. All of the tax info, employee info, direct deposit and documents are all within Gusto. I have used separate apps in the past and Gusto makes it easy.

Cons

I can't think of anything that I dislike about Gusto. Currently we have not had any issues.

Ana

Payroll Services

Reviewed on 28/12/2023

We process Payroll with Gusto, it's easy enough.

We process Payroll with Gusto, it's easy enough.

Pros

It's easy to schedule and pay employees.

Cons

I like everything about gusto services.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We choose Gusto over these alternative products because of the price.
Pricila
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Love this for Freelancers and SBO!

Reviewed on 04/12/2023

Pros

Love the independent contractor feature, leaving an inexpensive way to manage contractors and payroll. Also really appreciate the low monthly cost and amazing customer service.

Cons

Nothing! I was using a competitor before and am super happy to have switched over. Great integrations and ease of use.

Germaine

Easy to Use. Good Value

Reviewed on 27/02/2024

I am pleasantly appreciative for the software and how much easier it makes payroll.

Pros

I like that it is easy to use and that it collects all of the employees information for me. Employees can self manage their profiles reducing the man hours need to operate payroll.

Cons

Nothing. I thought it was easy to use and fairly user intuitive.

Charlotte

Checks all the boxes

Reviewed on 11/03/2024

Pros

easily the simplest and easiest payroll system we have used. easy for HR and easy for employees to manage

Cons

employees can edit their time with a little more freedom than id like to give

Delene
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OVER THE TOP

Reviewed on 22/05/2020

We have had Intuit (quickbooks) for years and years. And for years and years we have hated it. The customer service is horrible, and so we finally decided to try something else. We found Gusto on an internet search, did a little research and decided that this smaller company might just be what we were looking for. Entering all of the employee information and weekly payroll numbers is super simple. The screens are easy to understand, not cluttered at all. And the Pig - oh the pig - there's a cute little pig that takes a walk when you switch screens. He's a cutie!!!

Pros

We are finally done with Intuit Payroll. So difficult to actually talk to a live person when you need help. I did a little research and found that Gusto does payroll for small companies so I decided to give them a try. My thought was that it certainly can't be any worse than Intuit. And WOW - did they ever Overdeliver! The absolute best thing about Gusto is that you don't have to go through a bazillion menus on the phone trying to figure out which number to press so that your call gets routed to the right person. You actually get to talk to a live person when you call their company. Setting up all of the employees has been very easy, nothing difficult to figure out, the flow from one screen to the next is not complicated at all. So far - we love Gusto!

Cons

The only thing that I think they could improve on would be integrating your existing numbers into their system. In order to be able to print accurate W-2's at the end of the year, I have to enter my employee paystubs from January 1 through today (May) into their system. It makes sense, I know it has to be done. It is just a tedious job and I'd rather not do it. Although I must say, that the 3 times I ran into a snag while entering the information, I called them and the issue was fixed instantly. Their customer service ROCKS!

William

Foundational HR Tools for the Little Guys

Reviewed on 08/12/2020

Excellent! I love their customer service, I love that they keep me aware of what's going on in the world of HR/Payroll laws. I love that they helped find retirement and heath care options for my employees so that I can grow the benefits to my folks! I'm obviously a big fan of what these guys are doing.

Pros

These guys make me compliant with the evolving landscape of HR and payroll without distracting me from the core functions of my small business. They made on-boarding from my old payroll system easy. They found mistakes I'd made and helped me to correct them so even my tax history was compliant. Their customer service is excellent and I'm incredibly pleased with their Homebase integration. Super clean!

Cons

While the onboarding was much smoother than I anticipated, it was still a bit more cumbersome than described. It's definitely a hands-on process.

OnPay

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QuickBooks is incredibly cumbersome and I was often left with enormous doubt as to whether what I needed to do was actually done. Their integrations for payment of taxes were difficult and I was still left to the legwork of filing. The amount of time I spent doing HR was eating up my ability to react and get ahead of all the other COVID-19 requirements.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto made their pricing clear and demonstrated their ability to make onboarding as clean and easy as possible.
Brenton
  • Industry: Accounting

The best payroll service period! I'm always recommending to others!

Reviewed on 16/09/2021

From my very first client to the many I've added since, Gusto has been easy to get in touch with.

Pros

Setting up the company is a breeze. It walks you through every step to help make sure you have all the information correct. It'll even show you how to get state and local tax numbers, if needed.
Setting up employees is even easier! All you need is the employees name, pay rate, and email! How crazy is that. After you enter that information, and email gets sent to the new employee to fill out all their paperwork online. Remember though to get their i-9 forms, because once they are done filling out their paperwork, you'll need to verify their i-9 docs, but it's way too easy!! Haha.
Let's run payroll. Well, if it's the same each time, you can have it set up to go auto. Set it and forget it! If not, again, they make it easy. Click run payoll. Enter the times for your employees, days off, yada yada, and then submit. If you need to make a change to an employee while running payroll, just click on their name and it pulls them up for editing.
Gusto submits all tax payments and reports too. Even submits child support!

Cons

One time deductions. I would love to see that feature. As for now, you have to create a deduction on the employee screen, then go back to the process payroll screen. I wish it could be added to the other more detailed pay options.

Payroll Mate

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Ease of use compared to cost.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is on the cloud. Employee on boarding. Federal, State and Local payments and filings.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great for payroll

Reviewed on 08/03/2022

It's great for payroll. We don't pay for the leave management or other items because it is too expensive, but the payroll features are great.

Pros

Gusto is great for it's payroll and benefits platform. They do exactly as they say they are going to do and take care of all tax liabilities on time, with no concern of being wrong or late.

Cons

Their customer service is terrible. You typically get a representative that tells you the same thing that is in their knowledge base and then can't escalate you to talk to someone actually knowledgeable but can request a call back. The call backs don't happen and you receive an email, which typically doesn't answer your question because the initial representative didn't pass along the information correctly.

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Uzio failed to make tax payments on time, didn't setup our tax liabilities correctly with proof of correct paperwork, and have been an overall nightmare to work with.

UZIO

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Reputation and ease of integration with other platforms.
Rick

Payroll with a personal touch

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

I’ve used Gusto as a freelancer with clients that operate their business with this service. I also use it at my day job with my Agency to manage my team's time off benefits and payroll. It’s a great product that I find myself recommending to others all the time

Pros

There are many products available that handle payroll, benefits, and employee database. My favorite thing about Gusto is that it uses a very human and personal approach to what could very easily be a cold and lifeless system or department.

I love the option to add contractors through he payroll system too.

The gusto customer service team is top notch.

Turbo Tax integration is fantastic

Cons

There’s very little to complain about with Gusto. I do wish it had a more catered option for freelancer one man band type of operations.

FreshBooks and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is a product that feels like it’s designed by people who think about people.

FreshBooks, QuickBooks Online and Wave

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto has a personal touch and they’re customer service team is fantastic too
Albert
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The Payroll Software for any Business Size

Reviewed on 02/12/2022

The experience of our business using Gusto has been very positive and we recommend other businesses to implement this software if they are facing issues relating to payroll as well as other HR services. The software is very user friendly and no great technical knowledge is required.

Pros

This software has been of great importance for our business in managing payroll as well as other HR services. We implemented this software as we hit 9 employees as we were having issues relating to payroll receiving several complaints from our employees. The complaints have reduced drastically as soon as we implemented Gusto, which hence resulted in time as well as cost savings as well as more satisfied employees.

Cons

There can be some improvements made to leave management as sometimes it is difficult to navigate through the software especially when the leave is of less than a day.

SurePayroll

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We decided to implement Gusto as we saw it as being more aligned with the issues that we wanted to address.
Heather

Payroll Made Easy

Reviewed on 15/05/2023

Overall, Gusto has made processing payroll so simple. The platform is easy to use and navigate. The PTO tracking tool helps myself and staff be able to see how many hours they have used and how many they have left.

Pros

Gusto allows me to run payroll aligned with ProCare. I love that I can enter information as the pay period goes and Gusto saves the changes. Time sheets are integrated from ProCare so I don't have to calculate hours worked.

Cons

I have yet to find a feature that I do not like. Everything runs smoothly and employees are paid on time with direct deposit.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto streamlines with ProCare, which is the software we use for clocking in and out.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Ease of use and integration with ProCare.
Coby
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Great payroll service for the little guy

Reviewed on 22/10/2020

Gusto is doing a better job than my previous payroll company for less money. They seem to really care about their customers and their experience.

Pros

The payroll features make doing payroll very easy. The employees can log their times and I can easily verify them and sync it with payroll. I feel like this company really cares about their customers much more than my previous "large payroll provider"

Cons

Site navigation can be a little bit difficult at times. I have to do some searching to find what I am looking for. Reporting is OK but could be better.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Run was not user friendly and much too expensive. I felt like an unimportant customer to a large company.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I had used QB in the past and it was ok, but Gusto seems to have more features for a better price and they seem to care more about my business than Intuit does. Intuit is very difficult to work with.
Sheldon

A loyal customer that will be moving away from Gusto... HONEST REVIEW

Reviewed on 28/06/2023

Sadly, we will be leaving Gusto. We absolutely love the services (overall) and due to their great platform (and price), we have remained patient with some of the shortcomings. That said, I am so disappointed that we don't have better support. After a major payroll issue in May 2023, I remained calm and even inquired about upgrading our plan so that we could get better quality support and avoid future issues. No luck - I spoke to people in sales, but never heard back. Their software does not fully support multiple locations (must use DEPARTMENTS), which presents problems across the company. The worst issue we faced was based on an honest error our company made: One of our new hires mistakenly ran payroll for a new location prior to the account being funded. This caused an insufficient funds matter, which was totally our fault. However, the system locks you out without the chance to run payroll until the payment is cleared - we couldn't even run paper checks. This means our valued staff were paid late. There was no way to expedite this (bank wire, etc.) so I ended up driving several hours to delivery paper checks to our teams. Customer support wouldn't even allow me to speak to a manager about the situation so I could provide feedback for future customers. If you are a small office with 1- 30 employees, I think Gusto could be a great option. However, if you need more granular permissions for leadership, quick/dedicated support, look elsewhere.

Pros

Gusto is likely the easiest platform to learn and use. Our team members with limited tech skills can navigate the system with ease. I constantly see updates and enhancements throughout the system that are beneficial and useful. Also, the price is hard to beat for all the features. We use Gusto for health benefits, 401k, PTO, and time tracking - all work relatively fine. The only catch is assessing if your company is too large for Gusto's abilities.

Cons

As our company began to grow, we started to notice limitations in the platform. Once we grew to having multiple locations, things fell apart fast. Between the two companies I own, we hardly ever need the support team. However, when we do, it has become increasingly difficult to get the help we need. It is hit or miss. In a nutshell, if you have more than 30 employees in multiple states/locations, look at other options. We are taking both of our companies to another provider. Multiple times, Gusto could have saved this relationship, but I don't think I was ever able to reach someone who cared enough.

Rippling, RUN Powered by ADP and Paycor
Jessica
Jessica
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Ok until its not...just say NO

Reviewed on 03/02/2024

Their customer service is the absolute worst. Seriously, if you ever need help, it takes days to get a response and then you will get multiple people. If you call in, you will wait, and then the person you get won't know the answer and will pass you to the "correct department" who will then have multiple people "help" you via email. They will say they will call you; they won't. They don't care about their customers. They don't care about loyalty. They don't care if they overdraw your bank account multiple times. Its sad, their interface and feature set are nice, but the problems that come when any little thing goes wrong- its a nightmare- go read through other reviews, those who have had problems have all left their platform. I thought it was just "those people" as I had minimal issues for 2 years. Then I finally had the big issue. Had their customer service been responsive, accepted responsibility, or made any attempt to keep me as a customer, I might have stayed. They didn't.

Pros

User interface for employees is ok. It looks nice.

Cons

For those searching if Gusto is a good choice...its not...I thought it was...had a few hiccups, nothing major...and then they overdrew my account, cool fixed it quickly, then I switched our benefits to them. They messed up the withdrawl dates, blamed me and then [sensitive content hidden]
clearly stated they made the change), and then took no responsibility for it. Worst than that, then they penalized me bc the change they made overdrew my bank account bc it pulled two months of benefit premiums and then wouldn't change my processing time back. After SEVEN different people "helping" and "responding" to my issue, I switched. While I like their feature set, its not worth the massive headache that comes when any little thing goes wrong- steer clear!!!

Knox

Literally a worry-free payroll solution

Reviewed on 09/10/2020

Gusto saves our company lots of time! I spend literally an hour on HR/payroll each week, because Gusto does so much of the heavy lifting. For the price, I totally believe I am getting great ROI. It also integrates well with our accounting software.

Pros

Gusto makes managing employee relations, payroll, and benefits so simple. You truly get a lot of bang for your buck. We're able to manage payroll processing; time/attendance; benefits; onboarding; and salary offers all in place. Their web-based technology has great up-time and is very easy to use. I also like the fact that Gusto does all of your federal and state payroll document filings and return (quarterly and annual). Every form needed to remain in compliance with the feds and state are filed by Gusto on your behalf. That takes the headache away and allows my company to focus on matters that are more critical at this time.

Cons

There is not much I can say here other than their support isn't necessarily a phone call away. That said, they answer emails and tickets super quick. I haven't been much in a pinch to need an immediate response to issues, and their self-service support center is rather extensive.

Paycom

Pricing; bang for buck.
Rachel
  • Industry: Hospitality

Payroll that does not disappoint

Reviewed on 30/12/2023

Pros

This system is not only easy to set up but the user end is incredibly friendly. The system tracks all of our payroll, PTO and tax information and all but runs itself. After having used a few other options this was by far the best value for our money.

Cons

They used to offer a paycheck advance option that some of our employees took advantage of and this feature was removed.

Danløn

Paychex Flex
Andrea
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Payroll has become a breeze!

Reviewed on 20/05/2020

Overall, I would recommend Gusto since it is very easy to use and navigate, and they literally handle all aspects of payroll. In the last 5 years of using their service, I have had no problems submitting their forms to my accoutant, he is pleased with the access to their services as well!

Pros

I am not an accountant, nor did I take any business or accounting classes in college. Payroll was always a chore and a daunting task. Gusto has taken over all those aspects and provided an online way to check in on employees info/w2's, tax info at a glance, and even sends reminders when employees are due to be paid, who has been paid and who has not etc, it has made payroll so fun!

Cons

The customer service is great, but the response time on answers is longer than desired. I am used to dealing with online companies that respond to businesses right away, or even just answer one part of the problem and let me know they will get back to me on the rest of the problem with more in depth solutions.

Tim
  • Industry: Wholesale

Good software not great.

Reviewed on 22/10/2021

Although some issues are frustrating the software works better than QuickBooks payroll. The cost also offsets some of the issues.

Pros

Most functions are easy to use. Some are more difficult and although they may offer some features, they can be difficult to find.

Cons

Customer support. I think when you pay for software you should have a phone number you can reach out to for technical support. I personally do not like paying for a service where I have to send a message and wait for a call back. This makes it more difficult when you are processing something time sensitive, such as payroll, and have to stop what you are doing only to hope you have time to go back to it when they finally call you. Employees have also complained about customer service regarding their accounts.

Patriot Payroll and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Lack of customer support.

Cost
Pamela

We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.

Pros

Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Cons

Really, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"—the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense.

Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company.

Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero.

I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...