Visio

4.5 (1,950)
Diagramming, process modeling & data visualization

(1,950)

1950 Reviews for UK Users

Traci C.

Easy and simple diagram

Reviewed on 02/12/2021

It gives my presentations with diagrams and graphs a unique appearance and helps me understand the processes when they are more complicated since I can elaborate them by threads or by parts. Its templates are versatile so when I draw it is easy and I can communicate with my colleagues by messaging from this tool. I can save everything in the cloud.

Pros

A variety of diagrams can be drawn with this software including flow charts, organization charts, construction and floor plans, data diagrams among many. Automatically generate org charts from data sources such as Excel, Exchange, or Azure Active Directory. Simple or complicated diagrams can be made quickly and easily. It has a stencil gallery to determine the items in a room for example. It allows you to preview bone to see what the fonts and diagrams will be like before running it with the option to modify it by another tool.

Cons

you need to understand the program well to use it well. It is paid and its license is expensive ranging from $ 290 to $ 580. Their service to users is poor. It is not compatible with other operating systems only Microsoft. Their updates are not periodic since they take up to 3 years to make an improvement. It can throw errors during its installation and takes up a lot of hard disk space.

Bed prakash D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Best design and drawing tools for all Business

Reviewed on 15/12/2021

I am using Visio from my college. I use Visio on my every projects and assignments that required design and drawing. My first preference is Visio and if visio unable to complete my requirements then I useAutoCAD.

Pros

Visio is one of the best products design by Microsoft. Specially I am using visio for my electical work like circuit design, floor electical installation model, machine flow analysis etc. I am 200% satisfied and always love to use for similar projects.

Cons

There is no demerites as far I know. It ia simple to use, though some features are not avaialble while comparing with CAD but it is ok in this price. Overall it has limited features but with excellent quality.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

AutoCAD takes too long to load and takes time to desing. I am using Visio as far as possible and if Visio fails then only I use CAD.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Deu to its simple and user friendly interface, I choose Visio.
Timo T.

Visio Review

Reviewed on 13/01/2022

we have been able to very efficiently pre plan and rent out our conference rooms and banquet rooms, everything can be preplanned exactly with table setups, adding in buffets and squeezing out every bit of space needed beforehand

Pros

once everything is set up, it is fairly easy to use although there is a lot of setup needed. We use Visio as a tool to map out and arrange conference rooms / banquet halls, and if set up correctly, it is a mighty tool

Cons

you want to use this efficiently, you have to put in the work first. Measurements need to be exact for every shape, be it a chair, or a table, or a door or window, for our use there is not really templates we can just download from the web

Kirk H.
  • Industry: Insurance

Make processes visual

Reviewed on 22/12/2021

Mostly for internal use but have also adapted diagrams for customer-facing uses.

Pros

Visio make it easy for complex workflows to be displayed visually.

Cons

Sometimes when a user begins mapping a process that turns out to be more complex than initially expected, accommodating the added complexity can be time consuming to make the process visually easy-to-understand.

MindMeister

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Familiar interface. Easier ability to store files as desired.
Doyle R.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Visio is a visionary tool for data interpretation.

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

Having used Visio for quite some time now, I have found the software extremely useful in my day to day life and it is incredibly reliable and has rarely failed to let me down. Visio takes out all the time consuming hard work of creating your own gaant charts and what not and just leaves you with what you really want! Sexy visualized data that is easy to interpret and easy to create.

Pros

When you use other charting software, it is often clunky and hard to get a custom to, which can be quite annoying, especially when you are just trying to visualize your data quickly and efficiently. Visio basically took away all the struggle of manually creating charts/diagrams and allows you to visualize your data with ease. The user friendly interface makes the software extremely friendly and its easy to get a hang of. I would say that the software allows you to visualize your data concisely and accurately and saves you time so you can focus on the more pressing tasks at hand.

Cons

Visio is only available on Windows, and to be honest why wouldn't it be, its a Microsoft product overall, however I really think a piece of software this great should be available to everyone on every OS. I also have a mac book and I cannot integrate my mac with Visio which is quite the annoyance. I personally do not think the price is that high for the quality you get, but I can see it being a bit too much for just your standard users.

Trent S.

Our construction assistant

Reviewed on 22/11/2021

I was able to make an office plan easily and with various colors and designs, since it has several templates that allow me to better organize my projects. It is very accessible when ordering a custom template.

Pros

facilitates the process of creating professional diagrams and graphics in a dynamic and versatile way, being able to edit the structure and colors in a variety of ways. It allows to create calculation pages to keep accounting records, budgets, among others. Plans can also be made by giving it the appropriate data, these can be very exact. Its design is friendly and easy to use.

Cons

It cannot be used with Mac or Linux, limiting its use to those who have these programs. It is somewhat complicated and tedious when printing these plans under this program. it is somewhat expensive and requires high performance equipment.

Ramon M.
  • Industry: Automotive

Creating diagrams is easy

Reviewed on 27/12/2021

now i can create diagrams from scratch or modify existing ones with the help of visio. I can add and align shapes easily and precisely. The grid improves the adjustment automatically, this makes it my ideal ally when making diagrams.

Pros

With smart and precise diagrams and drawings this program also incorporates exact data and dimensions. When generating reports, it allows the export of data and new formats, facilitating their customization. Its review mode allows you to track comments.

Cons

This software is not free or multilanguage. If you do not have some prior knowledge of the program, it is difficult to find the tools required for certain designs. It takes up a lot of hard disk space.

Chaya W.

Visio – professional in diagram drawing

Reviewed on 15/04/2019

Visio is one of the tools which is used by most of the people for drawing diagrams and charts. Because of the easiness in drawing and and professional look of the final product this application is more famous in the industry more specifically in IT industry.

Pros

Visio has become one of the major applications which is used in drawing diagrams in the industry. Visio has become almost an official tool in diagraming as it is vastly used In most of the companies in creating diagrams related to their business plans and projects. There are various types of diagrams provided through the application . So the users can draw any type of a diagram according to their requirement from the given diagram types. Because of the large number of diagram types provide by the application users’ does not need to search different software to draw different diagrams which saves both the time and money of the user. Visio offers different editions like Standard, professional and pro with particularly improved functions per each edition. Also Visio created diagrams can be imported in another similar diagram drawing software and do further modifications. Even the diagrams drawn by some selected software can be opened through Visio and edit them. Visio offers both desktop and online versions for the users which helps the users to use the product whenever they want wheatear they are connected to internet or not.

Cons

Visio is not a platform independent software. So far Visio is only available for windows operating system. It does not supports mac os or Linux or any other operating system. Which has limited the usage of the application only for the users using windows. Though there are different editions users have to pay for each edition with more facilities. And the price need to be payed seems to be unfair considering the same category applications. Though there is a desktop version in Visio it is not constantly updated. Updates are available for the desktop version within few years time period. So it is bit difficult to work with the desktop version.

Arslan U.

Visio an all in one visualization tool

Reviewed on 26/11/2021

Overall experience with Visio is good. its diverse and turns to be the one helping me saving the day. They just need to make it cloud friendly like many of their other tools and give it a little modern feel.

Pros

One thing good about is you can quickly use it to create a diverse nature of diagrms, charts, models and much more. it is kind of a solution that fits a lot different scenerios. It doesn't matter whether you are a teacher, student, professional in any field. This way or that way you will come across Visio and it will save the day. Visio helps not just in computer programming related models, ERD, Flow charts but it helps you in many other fields as well. like organizational structures, charts and project management related stuff as well. I am an IT official and it has helped me in both IT stuff and business stuff. You can even generate basic models, SQL and class codes using Visio.

Cons

its cons are Microsoft no longer offers it under general office suite subscription. Secondly unlike other modern chart tools its not fully available in cloud yet.

Timothy L.

Very capable diagramming tool

Reviewed on 01/03/2021

Overall a very feature rich diagramming tool.

Overall sharing / file management was NOT Good. which was the dealbreaker for me.

Pros

Overall Visio can do everything you need to in regards to diagramming. There are hundreds of shapes icons, tips, tricks etc... I spent 6+ months getting familiar with the program and once you have the hang of it you really can make amazing diagrams and visuals.

I really think you should be on the latest visio as there are older versions which default settings make all your diagrams look very old and outdated. But the newer version of Visio does have better visuals/colors etc which make your diagrams look more modern.

There are lots of keyboard shortcuts which are amazingly helpful, only downside is you have to learn them, which does take time.

Cons

I found Visio is clunky and hard to learn, and some of the features they tout like 'auto-align' I could never find useful. it always messed up the order / arrangement of the diagram.

Also the color themes and fonts tend to make the diagrams look a little outdated. Especially if you are on an older version of Visio. Anything earlier than 2019 I think has default settings which made my diagrams look like they were made in the 90s.

The other thing which was a PAIN is sharing diagrams, it makes it really difficult to keep a source of truth diagram and constantly be exporting it to PDF, always wondering who has the latest version etc... O365 should fix this, but I always found copies getting saved to my local and just exasperating the problem. More than once I had to make the same changes to a diagram cause I misplaced or lost an updated version. That is my biggest pain with visio, and is ultimately why I switched to Lucid Chart.

Michael K.
  • Industry: Tobacco
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The tool for visual mathematicians

Reviewed on 13/06/2020

I love it for the purpose it was intended for. I don't think I could find anything better. Most of the time I have nothing but good things to say about this product. Just don't let yourself get in a spot where you need to write your own code to generate your charts automatically because the API and help for it would require another degree just for this product.

Pros

It can connect to a wide range of data sources to present data in your charts. It has a wide range of abilities through the various add-ons and tools. The range of standard drawing objects is huge and you can create your own if you know what you are doing.

Cons

It sucks for trying to program against it. Every drawing object has its own properties, methods and behaviors. It is a real nightmare if you need to integrate it into an automation system. The only one I have found that might be worse is Outlook and that would depend on what you were doing.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

These versions had a lot of functionality but since our company bought the MS suite and Visio came as part of the package it just made sense to use what we had versus buying something else.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

We didn't. Our company purchased both and use them both for different types of needs.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great tool to draw Flowcharts , Process flows and Network drawings!!

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

I'm using Visio for my daily work when I need to draw flowcharts, business process and more importantly for network drawings and rack drawings. Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort. GUI is very easy to use and templates cover most of the daily business requirements and even easy to find many templates online and use it. I'm using original stencils for all my drawings ( Network and Rack diagrams )which gives me perfect output. So overall I really recommend MS Visio...

Pros

Easier to learn and use it even for a beginner who never used Visio or any proper software.
The richness of the templates in the library and even the possibility to download additional templates as per your requirement.
Available many stencils with most of the brands (HP, Cisco, Dell, etc.) when using to draw network diagrams.

Cons

You need to pay separately for license costs even you have Office Professional or Office 365.
Need to convert to PDF or another version to view it , if you don't have Visio to see it.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. ( Mainly professional look output and easiness to use) Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Trust over Microsoft products. An existing good relationship with Microsoft. Easiness of use and to learn. Better features and functionality.
Steve F.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Visio is your type of drawing and diagram software if you are not a CAD expert

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

- I have drawn hundreds of drawings in Visio, from Network drawings to Architectural drawings to Flow Charts and Engineering drawings for parts fabrication.
- It took me a long time to master Visio for complicated drawings but now I would never use anything else.
- Visio drawings always impress the boss.

Pros

- It can draw anything you can think of
- There are many pre-defined symbols that can be dragged and dropped into a drawing
- Pre-defined symbols can be easily incorporated into your drawing with connectors that snap to connection points and can then be dragged to other parts of the drawing.
- It can print your drawing onto any size paper you select
- Drawings, objects, symbols, lines and connectors can be colored using the standard Windows colors.
- Objects and symbols can have data embedded into them from a database or used to create a database.
- There is an almost unlimited amount of help available from boards and users on the web.
- You can import AutoCAD drawings and change them.
- Drawings can be exported into AutoCAD format.

Cons

- There is a very long learning curve.
- It uses the typical Microsoft help function which cannot find things using plain English queries. (Google is MUCH better)
- It may be difficult to find the thing you want to do as there are some many functions.
- The Microsoft "Ribbon" can be a real pain when trying to find a function. It can waste a huge amount of time.
- If you know the name of the function, you can put into the "What do you want to do" search function but if you find it there, it does not show you where, in the Ribbon, that function is, so you do not have the opportunity to learn
- It can be quite cumbersome, when working on something and then needing to do something else, which requires many moves from the drawing to the Ribbon and back.
- The Ribbon
- You use the Pointer a lot but it requires a trip to the Ribbon when you are doing anything else and need the pointer, like text.
- It is very expensive, even when subscribed to it in Office 365.

Andrew P.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Process Development Tool with layers

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

Visio has helped me take conversations and brainstorming sessions and demonstrate how they would actually work. So often there is a good intention on trying something new, but it is important to get everyone on the same page. This tool has helped do that.

I have also extensively used Visio as a training tool. I will link the diagrams to other portals and tools that we use, so that the workflow document is something of a link aggregator for all the steps involved. This has made the hand-off from training to implementation much easier.

Pros

I like that I can use Visio to easily demonstrate workflows and process improvement ideas. There is a range of understanding for software like Visio. I do not use it to automate at my place of work, but I use it extensively for visual learners when implementing or discussing new processes, procedures, and ideas. Often I have co-workers take these designs and display them for their team as a physical reminder, others are more intuitive and I work with them to develop interactive workflows (with links, actions, etc.)

Cons

There are some elements to how you design that are not intuitive. I usually spend about 15 minutes with users who download the software to demonstrate how they can make their flows and diagrams. The organization chart is particularly more cumbersome than advertised, but even so, I have users who use it for this purpose. Online resources are sparse as well, and I often am troubleshooting when trying new methods.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Functionality with other Office products. We utilize the Office Suite extensively and Visio is a better solution in that regard. It is also easier to train people on an office product, as they are more familiar with it.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Similar to the description above. We tested Lucidchart and even have people who still prefer to use it because they are comfortable. But ultimately we found more use-cases for the Visio product.
Sreekumar J.
  • Industry: Information Services

Awesome professional diagrams and flow charts

Reviewed on 17/07/2018

Pros

As a Business Analyst cum Product Manager in Software Engineering, tremendous amount of documentation including business process diagrams, and flowcharts were part of my role in my previous product organization. Before learning Visio, I have tried many free apps, and capabilities with in word and struggled a lot.

While we make enterprise solutions by offering customization in our product suite, it is quite normal to study and analysis complex business processes of every new customer. To make a case - the process to be automated, solution, estimation, and design, diagrams and flowcharts were inevitable. Making diagrams eat a lot of time before Visio. Visio helped us to streamline this particular activity. It is pretty simple to copy an old diagram, make a few modifications and use it in another document. Another advantage in using vision is scope for modifications and less time to edit the diagrams.

The beauty of Visio is stencils and drag and drop feature to build diagrams. Also it is awesome to have an excellent repository of shapes.

Couple of times, I have used the organization chart feature. The import feature is very much helpful when we have a comprehensive reporting hierarchy.

Live data overlay which enables us to visualize live data in the context of a org structure, a business process, or a manufacturing process flow to get the big picture in one glance.

Once you master Visio, it is less likely that you switch to any other tool for diagrams and process flows.

Provision to collaborate on diagrams simultaneously is a big relief when many users work on a diagram

Cons

It is a fantastic tool and no doubt on its capabilities. However pricing is heavy and the solution is subscribing to online version.
If the shapes show some meaning or suggest the purpose, Visio can be a bit more intuitive.

Marat M.

Visio review

Reviewed on 10/10/2021

I started using Visio before Microsoft purchased it so I have quite big experience with this great application. I'm still using it a lot to visualize text information into graphics almost every day.

Pros

In my opinion the Visio is the industry standard and definitely the best tool to build different kinds of drawings (graphs, diagrams, charts, etc). It has many built-in shapes and templates (stencils), lots of options to connect to wide range of data sources. The Visio diagrams are easy to understand for both technical and non-technical audiences.

Cons

Microsoft Visio is not part of Microsoft Office Suite anymore (it must be purchased separately). The Visio license is quite expensive. Microsoft Visio is not available for Apple Mac and Linux platforms. Web (online) version of Visio would be great alternative to standalone application (since it must be cheaper).

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Visio is more flexible and easy to use.
Jess F.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Scientist Viewpoint

Reviewed on 29/08/2019

Overall, I like this platform as sketch pad (my hand drawings are terrible and hard to read). It has made my cross-functional collaborations much easier since I have a good method transfer ideas that other engineering disciplines can also work in before migrating to high level systems (CREO, Mentor, etc).

Pros

As someone who works in multi-functional engineering teams I find this to be a great collaboration platform. I can take my sensor idea and do some basic "hand" sketch type drawings to really highlight my thoughts and needs to my mechanical engineering colleagues. On the electrical engineering side I can create functional block diagrams describing my needs for the signal pathways and data analysis workflows. I also use this for test apparatus diagrams and mock ups for software user interfaces.

Cons

If you have no drafting/drawing experience this program can take awhile to get truly comfortable with. I don't find all the menus to be as intuitive as I would like. However, I only notice this if I am away from the software for an extended time period.

Chirag S.
  • Industry: Insurance

Process diagram standardization with Visio

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

We've diagrammed a significant portion of our company's operations using Visio. This has highlighted, visually, where inefficiencies are. There are several touch-points in each process. Visualizing touch points has helped us think critically where staff's time can be saved through automation and reduce pain points for staff.

Pros

Visio appears to be an industry leader and standard for process diagramming. I love the speed with which we can create process diagrams in Visio. We use Visio web interface, which is less-featured than Professional version, but is very functional for small and medium business. Web version is also easiest for users to see the diagrams and edit them.

Cons

I don't like compatibility issues between Visio web version and Professional desktop version. To work around that, we use web version consistently. Web version's limited feature-set is more tolerable than fixing compatibility issues.

Canva, SmartDraw and Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Visio fits our Office ecosystems and day to day workflow. It is integrated with SharePoint features, which makes its governance easy. It is also easy to buy through our existing licensing agreement with Microsoft. Competing products were very good, but we would have to set up separate governance.
Chris L.

The best flowcharting and diagram package out there

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

I design software interfaces and algorithms within the application and find it so easy to get my ideas down diagrammatically in order to turn them into real applications

Pros

Flexibility - easy to use for a multitude of tasks, from flowcharting to network design, swim lanes to manage teams, and so easy to view on mobile devices too with a plugin to view on the web, and an app to download both on Android and iOS!

Cons

Well, I would love Visio to be added to the Microsoft 365 system and be available as a editable app on iOS and Android, not just a read only application. For a new user it can be quite tricky to get started, but it is very simple to pick up

Gabriella N.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals
  • Used for 2+ years

Good for demonstrating understanding and reporting

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

It has a great layout and it's really good for drawing process flows specifically those that are not complex.

Pros

Visio is an academic standard and I started actively using it during my undergraduate studies. I have used it to draw Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) for metallurgical plants both in school and a bit at work. It’s really good for demonstrating understanding and reporting.

Visio’s grid layout and the user interface are easy to use, they make it easy to maneuver between plant work and theory. I have been able to use Visio to document and draw out my observations from the plant which enabled me to draw theoretical conclusions. This process is quite helpful in getting to know and understand a new site; solve problems & identifying room for process improvement; and Visio has instrumental in me doing this.

At first, I was unhappy realizing that some industry-specific icons and shapes are not found among the standard Visio objects but soon realized that I can add custom objects as a picture which works fine especially for demonstration purposes.

Cons

When drawing a complex PFD connecting objects can become hard. The connector detects all nearby objects, and in a complex diagram, there are several nearby objects. In this instance, I have found it hard to drag the connector to the right object. There are alternative ways such as clicking instead of dragging but this results in a connection that most of the time is placed where you do not want it. Most of the time it's either too far out or too jagged where fixing it is harder than dragging it.
It would help if there could be a painless way of adding connectors between objects that are close to each other?

Microsoft Visio

Reviewed on 02/01/2019

I have been using Visio since 2002. This is the only program which I used consistently almost every day. I develop icons, drawings, flow charts and flyers all in Visio. It is not very restrictive but it is quite loose. I have to make my own templates which may also go wrong. But with experience, once gets better with Visio.

Pros

There are a few strong points in MS Visio. First is its ability to work with vectors. It can easily import SVG graphics, edit their individual lines and then being able to export the SVG again. The export can also be done in PDF. This makes the whole experience of working with graphics like icons so easy. There is no need for programs like Illustrator or Inskscape. Another good feature is that Visio contains thousands of symbols from various categories like electrical engineering, mechanics, etc. That is also useful while building the flow charts and diagrams.

Cons

One annoying part in Visio is combining the lines into a single plan so that it can be filled with a color. When you select all of the connected lines and click Join or Combine ( in Operations), the task is done without an error. But then when you try to fill a pattern or color into that area, it does not work, just because it did not really join the lines. I could never find a way to get this resolved. The only way is to keep trying by reconnecting the line again and again.

Mandeep J.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Microsoft Visio is the best software for your diagram design and documentation of organization...

Reviewed on 10/11/2018

I have been using this software as a part of my daily job requirements and I can say this is the best software one can get to work on various types of diagrams to suit to your business and organizational requirements.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is the best software for serving the purpose of diagrams designs. It's capabilities to provide the best diagram templates for data flow diagrams, floor plans, building plans are among the best features.
I have been using this software for preparing DFD's and flowcharts as part of my regular job requirements and I can say this is best software for such accomplishments since it offer varities of templates that I can just pick and go for doing my job with ease.
According to me what makes this software stand out is its ability to pick the data from the MS Excess and MS Access which makes it best piece of software for working on diagram requirements in an organization.

Cons

Though it is very easy to use for those who have a little bit of experience using the Visio, however if you are starting with the software the you may find it little bit difficult to understand and get going so I would recommend anyone who is planning to use the software to spend some time with the software and get used to it and then you will find it easier and very useful and effective to accomplish your requirements.

Thamara P.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Diagrams easily and effectively

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

Visio has allowed me to create the engineering practice layout. As well as, I have used it for the creation of maps, flow charts, free elements, among others

In my area of work it is very helpful because it is process oriented so it is always necessary to elaborate process diagrams

Pros

the simplicity and effectiveness of use, are characteristics that distinguish this powerful office tool.

Visio has themes that you can select for the realization of particular diagrams of both form and objects. This office tool can be included from the editable mode in other tools of the office itself.

Visio integrates all conventional office options into an ideal tool for diagramming. It has a simple menu like what we are used to with office, also of options that add value to the design.

You should not be afraid to insert images or elements because the tool easily allows it. I include a simple edition

Cons

When I try to insert the editable visio in power point, the visualization is difficult to handle elements from there.

From visio to include an image the size can get to be very small, it is necessary to be attentive to the size with which you are designing from visio.

If you want to open a visio file in tools in the cloud, it is not an easy task, since the particularity of this tool is directly with Microsoft Office.

Tharindu D.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

There's not competition to Visio

Reviewed on 28/07/2021

I regret not having used this software before. Just like many, I thought this to be expensive. But an hour with the software proved how much time would've been saved had I chose this earlier. Visio offers one of the cleanest interfaces available, and it's a pleasure to work with this software. The rich template library will help anyone get a quick start in any project.

Pros

Visio provides us with an unbelievably smooth user experience when it comes preparing any kind of flow chart, mind map, hierarchy, process diagram, and anything else you could thing of! Also, you get to export your work in pretty much every usable format available. There's almost zero learning curve with this one if you're familiar with basic MS software packages. I can't ever see myself seeking an alternative to this.

Cons

There's nothing to dislike! Anyone who might think that this is expensive will find that this is worth it after the very first use.

Graham B.

The standard for our charting needs

Reviewed on 06/01/2020

Within our agency environment Visio is the only application we trust to deliver all of our charting and diagramming requirements within the Business Analysis team. It allows non-creative users to deliver competent charts for reports without relying on the Design team. The app is highly dependable and has developed to support new use cases over the years under Microsoft's parentage.

Pros

- The standard application that allows charts to be authored and distributed across the agency and our clients
- Flexibility to create any of our charting needs, from flow charts to sitemaps and hosting architecture diagrams
- Simple interface to commence learning the capabilities
- Ability to download additional stencils for many charting needs which aren't available out-of-the-box

Cons

- Can seem expensive for casual and intermittent users
- User interface can seem alien for less-familiar users who are used to tools such as PowerPoint
- If the requirement is for a specific task such as drawing up a website sitemap Visio is hugely complicated in comparison to specifically focussed apps

Adobe Illustrator

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Familiar MS Office interface, integrated into Office 365 subscriptions.