Visio

4.5 (2,155)
Diagramming, process modeling & data visualization

(2,155)

David S.
  • Industry: Automotive

A great software.

Reviewed on 03/06/2022

Pros

What I like most about Visio is the standard of the industry and certainly the best tool to build different types of drawings (graphics, diagrams, graphics, etc.). It has many forms and models built (models), many options to connect to a wide range of data sources. Visio diagrams are easy to understand for the technical and non -technical audience.

Cons

What I do not like are the compatibility problems between the Visio web version and the professional version of Office. To avoid this, we use the web version consistently. The set of limited characteristics of the web version is more tolerable than solving compatibility problems.

Federico A.
  • Industry: Banking

A great product to visualize process, organizations and information.

Reviewed on 07/06/2022

We have developed a series of structures, visual solutions and solutions for our procedures and business hierarchies.

Pros

This tool is very easy to use, many features are pretty intuitive, there are countless techniques and procedures, looks like it was built to modeling structures, you can easily export it to a PDF format, and there is a vast library of icons and elements.

Cons

The main problem with this tool is that the license can be expensive if you are a small company, you cannot share your work to be edited if the other part / customer does not have a Visio license, not included in the suite of Microsoft Office, if you have a very detail or heavy drawing it may crash, and there is no version for MacOs.

EdrawMax, SmartDraw and Lucidchart

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Visio presented a better alternative that reduced the training time and the adapted well to our BPM.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

We choose Visio because it presented an opportunity to solve our procedures and increase the value our planning department added to the organization.
Artemio E.

The versatile tool for diagrams

Reviewed on 15/06/2022

Pros

It is an intuitive and easy to use tool, if you know how to use PowerPoint, you will know how to use Visio.

Cons

It is not compatible with other tools for specific use, such as those that use the BPMn standard or similar.

Bradley O.

Visio - Your Business Process Flow Simplified

Reviewed on 05/04/2022

As I have become accustomed to using this application and learned the great benefits from using it, I would happily recommend this product to people who are able to invest time in learning how to use this app.
Just be prepared for the software licensing if purchasing separately.

Pros

Visio is not difficult to administer and utilizes at all. It supports a wide range of graphs as well as graphics. It is well coordinated with other Microsoft items, to be specific office suite.

We generally use it for making flow process diagrams that could be linked to our daily operations and core business functions.
Free to trial for 30 days as well.

Cons

Unfortunately, every drawing object has its own individual properties and behaviors.
It takes a bit of time getting to learn how to use the software effectively at first.
The licensing costs are not up to standard as it is separate from the office suite which is purchased.

Adobe Photoshop and Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to Visio

As Visio had to stand out images and add-on packs, it just made sense to get this product instead.
Evelyn F.

Great tool but somehow outdated.

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Visio use to be our main software to plan any project and describe work loads, processes, etc. Nowadays, there are several other platforms with full online capabilities and better team collaboration tools.

Yes, most of those other alternatives are not that good as Visio to create flow charts or any other diagram, but they are more than acceptable for several business lines.

Pros

Thea diagram creation tool is best in class.
Full compatibility with Microsoft Office Suite formats.

Cons

There is not fully free & functional online app for third party participants to join eventually into a brainstorming process or any other board of work.

Whimsical, Trello, Microsoft Project and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Nowadays, we use Whimsical over Visio for most of our tasks, since Whimsical does allow us to have a better team work. I do still recommend Microsoft Visio for creating precise diagrams over any other alternative, but it is not that useful for Marketing environments, it is for Engineer ones though.
Bamibo N.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Amazing Tool for design

Reviewed on 11/05/2022

I’ve really enjoyed working with Visio. The ease of use and features are perfect for architecture design. I highly recommend it for anyone trying to design workflows and process charts.

Pros

The product was easy to use. There are numerous templates to choose from. Especially as someone in networks and cybersecurity, visio helps me bring my ideas to life.

Cons

Templates are still limited. Also you cannot import a design from word and continue the editing.

Tomasz P.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best tool for drawing network maps

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Pros

I really like the look of maps drawn in Visio. The ability to import templates allows us to maintain consistency in our documentation.

Cons

There is a learning curve that is not too steep, but it takes some getting used to drawing network diagrams in Visio.

Amalia H.
  • Industry: Automotive

Good Diagram app

Reviewed on 12/06/2022

Pros

What I like most about this application is that, it has a variety of issues that can be selected when making particular diagrams of objects and shapes, this tool is layers of being included from the edition mode in other office tools, this application It has all conventional office tools for diagram.

Cons

What I like least about this application is, for people who have no experience in drawing, this program can take time to be able to understand it adequately, also the problems of comparability in the different platforms of this application.

Hesham I.

Intuitive Business Process Visualization Tool

Reviewed on 11/05/2022

Pros

Easily used, minimum training, Varity of stencils found, easily installed, customizable page size with different designs.

Cons

For the professional edition, wishing we can get less price for the startup business.

• Industry: Food Production

Great tool for designs and flow charts

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Fantastic

Pros

The auto alignment of the grid and the ability to indicate flows in a value stream mapping is something i could do forever.

Cons

sometimes the page layout gives a really hard time to come along

Timothy L.

Very capable diagramming tool

Reviewed on 01/03/2021

Overall a very feature rich diagramming tool.

Overall sharing / file management was NOT Good. which was the dealbreaker for me.

Pros

Overall Visio can do everything you need to in regards to diagramming. There are hundreds of shapes icons, tips, tricks etc... I spent 6+ months getting familiar with the program and once you have the hang of it you really can make amazing diagrams and visuals.

I really think you should be on the latest visio as there are older versions which default settings make all your diagrams look very old and outdated. But the newer version of Visio does have better visuals/colors etc which make your diagrams look more modern.

There are lots of keyboard shortcuts which are amazingly helpful, only downside is you have to learn them, which does take time.

Cons

I found Visio is clunky and hard to learn, and some of the features they tout like 'auto-align' I could never find useful. it always messed up the order / arrangement of the diagram.

Also the color themes and fonts tend to make the diagrams look a little outdated. Especially if you are on an older version of Visio. Anything earlier than 2019 I think has default settings which made my diagrams look like they were made in the 90s.

The other thing which was a PAIN is sharing diagrams, it makes it really difficult to keep a source of truth diagram and constantly be exporting it to PDF, always wondering who has the latest version etc... O365 should fix this, but I always found copies getting saved to my local and just exasperating the problem. More than once I had to make the same changes to a diagram cause I misplaced or lost an updated version. That is my biggest pain with visio, and is ultimately why I switched to Lucid Chart.

Michael K.
  • Industry: Tobacco
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The tool for visual mathematicians

Reviewed on 13/06/2020

I love it for the purpose it was intended for. I don't think I could find anything better. Most of the time I have nothing but good things to say about this product. Just don't let yourself get in a spot where you need to write your own code to generate your charts automatically because the API and help for it would require another degree just for this product.

Pros

It can connect to a wide range of data sources to present data in your charts. It has a wide range of abilities through the various add-ons and tools. The range of standard drawing objects is huge and you can create your own if you know what you are doing.

Cons

It sucks for trying to program against it. Every drawing object has its own properties, methods and behaviors. It is a real nightmare if you need to integrate it into an automation system. The only one I have found that might be worse is Outlook and that would depend on what you were doing.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

These versions had a lot of functionality but since our company bought the MS suite and Visio came as part of the package it just made sense to use what we had versus buying something else.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

We didn't. Our company purchased both and use them both for different types of needs.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great tool to draw Flowcharts , Process flows and Network drawings!!

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

I'm using Visio for my daily work when I need to draw flowcharts, business process and more importantly for network drawings and rack drawings. Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort. GUI is very easy to use and templates cover most of the daily business requirements and even easy to find many templates online and use it. I'm using original stencils for all my drawings ( Network and Rack diagrams )which gives me perfect output. So overall I really recommend MS Visio...

Pros

Easier to learn and use it even for a beginner who never used Visio or any proper software.
The richness of the templates in the library and even the possibility to download additional templates as per your requirement.
Available many stencils with most of the brands (HP, Cisco, Dell, etc.) when using to draw network diagrams.

Cons

You need to pay separately for license costs even you have Office Professional or Office 365.
Need to convert to PDF or another version to view it , if you don't have Visio to see it.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. ( Mainly professional look output and easiness to use) Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Trust over Microsoft products. An existing good relationship with Microsoft. Easiness of use and to learn. Better features and functionality.
Steve F.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Visio is your type of drawing and diagram software if you are not a CAD expert

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

- I have drawn hundreds of drawings in Visio, from Network drawings to Architectural drawings to Flow Charts and Engineering drawings for parts fabrication.
- It took me a long time to master Visio for complicated drawings but now I would never use anything else.
- Visio drawings always impress the boss.

Pros

- It can draw anything you can think of
- There are many pre-defined symbols that can be dragged and dropped into a drawing
- Pre-defined symbols can be easily incorporated into your drawing with connectors that snap to connection points and can then be dragged to other parts of the drawing.
- It can print your drawing onto any size paper you select
- Drawings, objects, symbols, lines and connectors can be colored using the standard Windows colors.
- Objects and symbols can have data embedded into them from a database or used to create a database.
- There is an almost unlimited amount of help available from boards and users on the web.
- You can import AutoCAD drawings and change them.
- Drawings can be exported into AutoCAD format.

Cons

- There is a very long learning curve.
- It uses the typical Microsoft help function which cannot find things using plain English queries. (Google is MUCH better)
- It may be difficult to find the thing you want to do as there are some many functions.
- The Microsoft "Ribbon" can be a real pain when trying to find a function. It can waste a huge amount of time.
- If you know the name of the function, you can put into the "What do you want to do" search function but if you find it there, it does not show you where, in the Ribbon, that function is, so you do not have the opportunity to learn
- It can be quite cumbersome, when working on something and then needing to do something else, which requires many moves from the drawing to the Ribbon and back.
- The Ribbon
- You use the Pointer a lot but it requires a trip to the Ribbon when you are doing anything else and need the pointer, like text.
- It is very expensive, even when subscribed to it in Office 365.

Andrew P.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Process Development Tool with layers

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

Visio has helped me take conversations and brainstorming sessions and demonstrate how they would actually work. So often there is a good intention on trying something new, but it is important to get everyone on the same page. This tool has helped do that.

I have also extensively used Visio as a training tool. I will link the diagrams to other portals and tools that we use, so that the workflow document is something of a link aggregator for all the steps involved. This has made the hand-off from training to implementation much easier.

Pros

I like that I can use Visio to easily demonstrate workflows and process improvement ideas. There is a range of understanding for software like Visio. I do not use it to automate at my place of work, but I use it extensively for visual learners when implementing or discussing new processes, procedures, and ideas. Often I have co-workers take these designs and display them for their team as a physical reminder, others are more intuitive and I work with them to develop interactive workflows (with links, actions, etc.)

Cons

There are some elements to how you design that are not intuitive. I usually spend about 15 minutes with users who download the software to demonstrate how they can make their flows and diagrams. The organization chart is particularly more cumbersome than advertised, but even so, I have users who use it for this purpose. Online resources are sparse as well, and I often am troubleshooting when trying new methods.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Functionality with other Office products. We utilize the Office Suite extensively and Visio is a better solution in that regard. It is also easier to train people on an office product, as they are more familiar with it.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Similar to the description above. We tested Lucidchart and even have people who still prefer to use it because they are comfortable. But ultimately we found more use-cases for the Visio product.
Sreekumar J.
  • Industry: Information Services

Awesome professional diagrams and flow charts

Reviewed on 17/07/2018

Pros

As a Business Analyst cum Product Manager in Software Engineering, tremendous amount of documentation including business process diagrams, and flowcharts were part of my role in my previous product organization. Before learning Visio, I have tried many free apps, and capabilities with in word and struggled a lot.

While we make enterprise solutions by offering customization in our product suite, it is quite normal to study and analysis complex business processes of every new customer. To make a case - the process to be automated, solution, estimation, and design, diagrams and flowcharts were inevitable. Making diagrams eat a lot of time before Visio. Visio helped us to streamline this particular activity. It is pretty simple to copy an old diagram, make a few modifications and use it in another document. Another advantage in using vision is scope for modifications and less time to edit the diagrams.

The beauty of Visio is stencils and drag and drop feature to build diagrams. Also it is awesome to have an excellent repository of shapes.

Couple of times, I have used the organization chart feature. The import feature is very much helpful when we have a comprehensive reporting hierarchy.

Live data overlay which enables us to visualize live data in the context of a org structure, a business process, or a manufacturing process flow to get the big picture in one glance.

Once you master Visio, it is less likely that you switch to any other tool for diagrams and process flows.

Provision to collaborate on diagrams simultaneously is a big relief when many users work on a diagram

Cons

It is a fantastic tool and no doubt on its capabilities. However pricing is heavy and the solution is subscribing to online version.
If the shapes show some meaning or suggest the purpose, Visio can be a bit more intuitive.

Bed prakash D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Best design and drawing tools for all Business

Reviewed on 15/12/2021

I am using Visio from my college. I use Visio on my every projects and assignments that required design and drawing. My first preference is Visio and if visio unable to complete my requirements then I useAutoCAD.

Pros

Visio is one of the best products design by Microsoft. Specially I am using visio for my electical work like circuit design, floor electical installation model, machine flow analysis etc. I am 200% satisfied and always love to use for similar projects.

Cons

There is no demerites as far I know. It ia simple to use, though some features are not avaialble while comparing with CAD but it is ok in this price. Overall it has limited features but with excellent quality.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

AutoCAD takes too long to load and takes time to desing. I am using Visio as far as possible and if Visio fails then only I use CAD.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Deu to its simple and user friendly interface, I choose Visio.
Marat M.

Visio review

Reviewed on 10/10/2021

I started using Visio before Microsoft purchased it so I have quite big experience with this great application. I'm still using it a lot to visualize text information into graphics almost every day.

Pros

In my opinion the Visio is the industry standard and definitely the best tool to build different kinds of drawings (graphs, diagrams, charts, etc). It has many built-in shapes and templates (stencils), lots of options to connect to wide range of data sources. The Visio diagrams are easy to understand for both technical and non-technical audiences.

Cons

Microsoft Visio is not part of Microsoft Office Suite anymore (it must be purchased separately). The Visio license is quite expensive. Microsoft Visio is not available for Apple Mac and Linux platforms. Web (online) version of Visio would be great alternative to standalone application (since it must be cheaper).

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Visio is more flexible and easy to use.
Waleed K.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

The simplest way to draw the organizational Charts and workflow diagrams and clarify relationsh...

Reviewed on 30/04/2022

The most important things that I have benefited from Visio, is the design of the organizational structure and workflow diagrams in a professional manner, in a short time, and most importantly, it has an amazing visual representation. Which helps everyone to understand relationships and responsibilities in a simple way.

Pros

Currently, Visio is the most user-friendly diagramming tool accessible. Visio is perhaps the most effective tool for presenting, explaining, and refining your concepts. Plans, flowcharts, and other visual aids. As a result of its flexibility, Visio also offers a wide range of tools such as freeform filling tools and pick-and-pointer tools, in addition to the ability to modify existing drawings. It's a great tool for visualizing difficult concepts. Many ready-to-use templates are available, including flowcharts, timelines, and floor plans. In addition to being unique, the templates allow you to display a lot of information quickly. Making use of its quick search feature, you may quickly identify necessary data elements while also being able to create visual representations of data relationships through the addition and connection of shapes, text, and images.

Cons

Not big problems, but sometimes I find it difficult to make changes to a large scheme that includes many shapes and lines, and it becomes cumbersome at that time.

Jess F.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Scientist Viewpoint

Reviewed on 29/08/2019

Overall, I like this platform as sketch pad (my hand drawings are terrible and hard to read). It has made my cross-functional collaborations much easier since I have a good method transfer ideas that other engineering disciplines can also work in before migrating to high level systems (CREO, Mentor, etc).

Pros

As someone who works in multi-functional engineering teams I find this to be a great collaboration platform. I can take my sensor idea and do some basic "hand" sketch type drawings to really highlight my thoughts and needs to my mechanical engineering colleagues. On the electrical engineering side I can create functional block diagrams describing my needs for the signal pathways and data analysis workflows. I also use this for test apparatus diagrams and mock ups for software user interfaces.

Cons

If you have no drafting/drawing experience this program can take awhile to get truly comfortable with. I don't find all the menus to be as intuitive as I would like. However, I only notice this if I am away from the software for an extended time period.

Chirag S.
  • Industry: Insurance

Process diagram standardization with Visio

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

We've diagrammed a significant portion of our company's operations using Visio. This has highlighted, visually, where inefficiencies are. There are several touch-points in each process. Visualizing touch points has helped us think critically where staff's time can be saved through automation and reduce pain points for staff.

Pros

Visio appears to be an industry leader and standard for process diagramming. I love the speed with which we can create process diagrams in Visio. We use Visio web interface, which is less-featured than Professional version, but is very functional for small and medium business. Web version is also easiest for users to see the diagrams and edit them.

Cons

I don't like compatibility issues between Visio web version and Professional desktop version. To work around that, we use web version consistently. Web version's limited feature-set is more tolerable than fixing compatibility issues.

SmartDraw, Canva and Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Visio fits our Office ecosystems and day to day workflow. It is integrated with SharePoint features, which makes its governance easy. It is also easy to buy through our existing licensing agreement with Microsoft. Competing products were very good, but we would have to set up separate governance.
Chris L.

The best flowcharting and diagram package out there

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

I design software interfaces and algorithms within the application and find it so easy to get my ideas down diagrammatically in order to turn them into real applications

Pros

Flexibility - easy to use for a multitude of tasks, from flowcharting to network design, swim lanes to manage teams, and so easy to view on mobile devices too with a plugin to view on the web, and an app to download both on Android and iOS!

Cons

Well, I would love Visio to be added to the Microsoft 365 system and be available as a editable app on iOS and Android, not just a read only application. For a new user it can be quite tricky to get started, but it is very simple to pick up

Gabriella N.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals
  • Used for 2+ years

Good for demonstrating understanding and reporting

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

It has a great layout and it's really good for drawing process flows specifically those that are not complex.

Pros

Visio is an academic standard and I started actively using it during my undergraduate studies. I have used it to draw Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) for metallurgical plants both in school and a bit at work. It’s really good for demonstrating understanding and reporting.

Visio’s grid layout and the user interface are easy to use, they make it easy to maneuver between plant work and theory. I have been able to use Visio to document and draw out my observations from the plant which enabled me to draw theoretical conclusions. This process is quite helpful in getting to know and understand a new site; solve problems & identifying room for process improvement; and Visio has instrumental in me doing this.

At first, I was unhappy realizing that some industry-specific icons and shapes are not found among the standard Visio objects but soon realized that I can add custom objects as a picture which works fine especially for demonstration purposes.

Cons

When drawing a complex PFD connecting objects can become hard. The connector detects all nearby objects, and in a complex diagram, there are several nearby objects. In this instance, I have found it hard to drag the connector to the right object. There are alternative ways such as clicking instead of dragging but this results in a connection that most of the time is placed where you do not want it. Most of the time it's either too far out or too jagged where fixing it is harder than dragging it.
It would help if there could be a painless way of adding connectors between objects that are close to each other?

Microsoft Visio

Reviewed on 02/01/2019

I have been using Visio since 2002. This is the only program which I used consistently almost every day. I develop icons, drawings, flow charts and flyers all in Visio. It is not very restrictive but it is quite loose. I have to make my own templates which may also go wrong. But with experience, once gets better with Visio.

Pros

There are a few strong points in MS Visio. First is its ability to work with vectors. It can easily import SVG graphics, edit their individual lines and then being able to export the SVG again. The export can also be done in PDF. This makes the whole experience of working with graphics like icons so easy. There is no need for programs like Illustrator or Inskscape. Another good feature is that Visio contains thousands of symbols from various categories like electrical engineering, mechanics, etc. That is also useful while building the flow charts and diagrams.

Cons

One annoying part in Visio is combining the lines into a single plan so that it can be filled with a color. When you select all of the connected lines and click Join or Combine ( in Operations), the task is done without an error. But then when you try to fill a pattern or color into that area, it does not work, just because it did not really join the lines. I could never find a way to get this resolved. The only way is to keep trying by reconnecting the line again and again.

Mandeep J.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Microsoft Visio is the best software for your diagram design and documentation of organization...

Reviewed on 10/11/2018

I have been using this software as a part of my daily job requirements and I can say this is the best software one can get to work on various types of diagrams to suit to your business and organizational requirements.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is the best software for serving the purpose of diagrams designs. It's capabilities to provide the best diagram templates for data flow diagrams, floor plans, building plans are among the best features.
I have been using this software for preparing DFD's and flowcharts as part of my regular job requirements and I can say this is best software for such accomplishments since it offer varities of templates that I can just pick and go for doing my job with ease.
According to me what makes this software stand out is its ability to pick the data from the MS Excess and MS Access which makes it best piece of software for working on diagram requirements in an organization.

Cons

Though it is very easy to use for those who have a little bit of experience using the Visio, however if you are starting with the software the you may find it little bit difficult to understand and get going so I would recommend anyone who is planning to use the software to spend some time with the software and get used to it and then you will find it easier and very useful and effective to accomplish your requirements.