Lightspeed Retail

Write a Review!
The point of sale you'll love to use.

3.9/5

Sean
Sean

After Two Years - Lightspeed Remains The Best In All Categories

Reviewed on 29/05/2019

Lightspeed has literally saved us 20-30 hours per week. It connects and communicates well with all of our other systems; including accounting and loyalty platforms.
Their customer and technical support have been extraordinary and have exceeded our expectations. In fact, I think their technical support is the best not just in the point of sale industry but any industry. I find myself wishing other vendors I work with had the same level of support and professionalism.
Lightspeed also listens to their customers; this is evident by requests made in their support area. They actually respond to every request.
As a small business owner, we worry about many things. Lightspeed is not one of them!

Pros

After two other point of sale systems; and after two years using Lightspeed, it is by far the best in all categories.
We had two previous POS systems that fell short in comparison to Lightspeed. Part of our success with Lightspeed is that after two previous point of sale systems; we knew what we really needed and the right questions to ask during the sales process. We submitted specific questions in writing. All of our questions we answered in detail in less than 24-Hours. The sales team knows their products and knew my industry. In fact, most of our distributors catalogs are already pre-loaded into their system.
The transition from our other popular POS was relatively easy, especially in comparison to our previous transition. The Lightspeed team was always there to help and even anticipated needs before I knew them. The inventory system and purchase order system work well.

Cons

The only limitation we have with Lightspeed in related to the fact that we sell a lot of items by weight. This does not create a significant problem for us; but having bulk items accounted for in inventory would be a nice to have. We would love an integrated scale capability. The Lightspeed team was more than willing to help us set up our system to sell bulk items; it works better than another other POS we looked at.

Daniel

Easy Switch to Lightspeed Retail

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

Overall it has been an easy switch and easy to use software.

Overall it has been an easy switch and easy to use software.

Pros

The fully integrated credit card payments has been wonderful, not having to use two separate systems to complete the sale has been great. Also the integrated inventory between retail and ecom has been great. Sell it in one place and inventory get adjusted across all platforms. Also the ability to use multiple registers at once and complete payments at the same time has been a life saver.

Cons

The additional cost for some of the features in the ecom, such as different layouts for the website that would incorporate things such as reviews on other websites. The limited analytical information you have at your disposal without having to pay for lightspeed analytics.

MicroBiz Cloud POS

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

Lack of options, no website integration. Multiple registers and credit card terminals.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Features that were part of the standard cost. No crazy one time fees to import inventory, customers, and vendors. Built in website designer and integrated inventory and payments.

Worst Business Decision

Reviewed on 10/01/2019

Pros

I have no pros. I would like to take this opportunity to preface my review with the fact that I am not a negative review writer. As a business owner myself, I generally live by the golden rule of doing business and give the benefit of the doubt in most cases.
I took the time to write this today because I simply want to save you from the hardship of the lessons learned by so many business owners here.

Cons

If you are considering Lightspeed for your business, please STOP HERE and do research. Allow the hundreds of negative reviews that came before mine to be your bright waving red flag. I DEFINITELY wish someone had told me to read some of these before entering an agreement with this company. Also, my lawyer would have STRONGLY advised me against entering this agreement, but unfortunately it was too late for me.

Hopefully, it is NOT too late for you. I'll keep this short:

1.) Lightspeed is overpriced,
2.) Lightspeed's product is mediocre: glitchy and has limitations,
3.) Lightspeed contract terms are extremely binding, consider them unethical.
4.) Lightspeed will do nothing for you as a customer. Your concerns will be deferred from person to person all with their arms up in the air until you get tired of trying to find a reasonable resolution and you land here, at the end of your rope writing a negative review with hope that someone will learn from your mistake and stay away.

I'm pretty certain if the business owner died, Lightspeed will go after their loved ones for a payout.
This is not a company any business owner should do business with.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi,

We value our customers feedback, and would like to learn more about your specific experience, to have the opportunity to address your needs and concerns.

As we are unable to identify your business, please feel free to contact us at your convenience: 1(866) 932-1801 ext 8000. Our Customer Success team would be more than happy to connect with you.

We look forward to having the chance to speak with you.

Lightspeed Customer Success

LEANNA

Great Product with Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 19/01/2021

Lightspeed is very responsive, not just in sales but in the IT service. They are quick to respond and have always worked patiently with us to resolve any problems, which usually are down to user error. I believe the cost/benefit ratio is optimal and have no plans to seek another POS/ECommerce at this time.

Pros

I really appreciate the seamless integration between the POS and the eCommerce. I also really like that this is all web-based, so that a computer can be used for the interface rather than a cash register that will only serve one function. When there is a problem, Lightspeed is usually ahead of me in giving notice that there is one and gives the approximate timing for the fix. Also, if you have both components and the payment processor is down (like at Christmas), you can easily set up the purchase online and your customer can process their goods and walk out of the shop a happy customer.

Cons

It feels like the frameworks for the eCommerce should be a little easier to use, but I've had much less robust platforms. Also, I'm still trying to find a better solution for shipping for the kind of shop that I have, but don't actually blame Lightspeed. It would be great if there were a more integrated and less expensive phone app add-on for shopping.

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

I didn't like the platform. It wasn't made for a business like mine.

Shopify

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

I needed a robust POS that made it easy to retail the handmade products that we craft in our shop. We often have multiple versions of the same product in regard to scent and quantity. Also, the ability to monitor the inventory for both the brick-and-mortar and the eCommerce portions of our business is invaluable. I have stayed with them, because they didn't stop with their superior customer service after the contracts were signed. It also seems like a system that will grow with us. I chose them, when I was taking my business from a kitchen "cottage" style business to a full time shop with eCommerce. I don't regret it.
Justin

Best decision we ever made

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

The experience has been fantastic. The support staff and sales team have been great. The ease of use is something very special compared to their competition. It has allowed our business to prosper in these uncertain times.

Pros

Being able to always be connected to our point of sale via my phone or computer, no matter where I am has been crucial. With Lightspeed being cloud based, I can work from anywhere I want. I am able to ring up customers on my phone if needed, create purchase orders from trade shows, and stay connected to customers at all times.

Cons

There aren't any real issues that we have had with Lightspeed. They are continuing to improve the workflow with Lightspeed eCom which will only make the overall package even better.

Square Point of Sale and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

We needed something easy to use, something cloud based, and the ability to completely integrate with our website. Lightspeed made this possible for us overnight.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Shopify seems to be build for a website instead of a retail brick and mortar shop with a website. Lightspeed is perfect for a retailer who wants to take their business online and grow.
Sarah
Sarah
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Avoid this system unless you wish to pay very high fees

Reviewed on 11/03/2024

We have used Vend for many years who were recently acquired by Lightspeed. I have no words for how bad Lightspeed and their company are, and I urge anyone considering using their platform to walk away and find an alternative.
They have recently demanded that all users convert to their integrated card payment system or face charges on their monthly accounts of up to £500. We were originally paying £89.99 per month for Vend, which was then increased with Lightspeed to £129.99 per month. To then be advised that if we don't use their card processing servicing, we could face charges of up to £500 per month is astounding and unethical. We were advised that one reason for this increase was due to the charges they incur for our business using other payment providers. This is utter rubbish; I myself use a static card terminal in a bricks-and-mortar shop. Lightspeed doesn't incur any processing charges, fees or inconveniences from my card terminal. After many, many emails back and forth with our account manager and following a call, he finally understood that, as a business, we were tied into a contract with our card supplier and could not move to their integrated service as they demanded.
I was advised that these additional fees would not be charged as we aren't in a position to move our card processing across to their systems. However, I have been told that my fees for the platform this month, based on our transactions, are now £250! When trying to speak with someone from customer services (surprise, surprise only possible online). I am told that this is because I am not using their integrated card processing service!!!
I wouldn't mind quite so much if the system had shown vast improvements or if they had introduced new fantastic facilities online. We have actually found the system to be slower than before and with many glitches with stock deduction and control. There hasn't been any improvement.
I don't know how Lightspeed is able to get away with behaviour that flagrantly ignores anti-competition laws in the UK.
I'm in the process of finding a company that provides an online platform and has an honest and trustworthy approach to business. Lightspeed is definitely NOT this company.

Pros

I was originally a customer with Vend and since Lightspeed purchased the company I can not see any Pros.

Cons

Too many to list, but the company ethics are poor and I am not sure how they get away with the anti-competition methods.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Sarah,

We sincerely apologize for any distress you've experienced regarding unified payments. Please know that it is never our intention to cause inconvenience. Our goal is to simplify your operations and offer efficient support for both POS and payments services, ultimately saving you time and resources.

Your Account Manager has reached out to you to discuss this matter further. We appreciate your patience as we diligently work to address your concerns.

Best regards,
The Lightspeed Team

Carol

Why I Chose Lightspeed

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

I especially love the 24 hour help desk.

I especially love the 24 hour help desk.

Pros

Customer service is available 24 hours. During the pandemic obviously the wait time for help took longer but most of the time it was efficient and easy to implement. I am a technological dinosaur and the learning curve was an uphill battle but customer service always came through for me.
So happy that the payment options finally were added.

Cons

It has taken me longer than I had expected to integrate my existing business with Lightspeed but that could be because of the pandemic and the wait time involved to get help. I am having difficulties getting my website finished so I can integrate with e-commerce.
I wish the billing and administrative department was open on weekends.

Shopify POS

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

I didnt like dealing with all the apps in Shopify

Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

I felt that Lightspeed was a complete package that looked professional and was relatively easy to use once the basic principles were in place. The move into e-commerce would be smooth.
Michael

Great system for all small businesses

Reviewed on 28/11/2020

Excellent experience with Lightspeed, I would recommend this platform to any small or medium sized business.

Pros

Lightspeed is very user friendly and easy to teach employees how to use it. The reporting is top-notch and they even can help you create custom reports which was very important to us. Customer service is excellent and always very responsive.

Cons

It would be great if it came with a built in CRM or integrated with one like Salesforce. It's great for franchisees, as a small business, but for the franchisor it may not have all the functionality needed to roll it out to the entire corporate system.

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

Opsuite is not very user friendly, reporting was very lacking and clunky, and for what you get it's very expensive.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Had all the features we needed at a great value.
Donna
  • Industry: Hospitality

Easy to build, train and implement

Reviewed on 28/10/2020

I worked with other POS systems in the past and find Lightspeed much more user friendly than the others. You can build your menu in literally a few hours and the flexibility is amazing! I have not come across a single scenario in the build that isn't already addressed within the system. And the video tutorials are well done, explaining processes step by step,
The technical support team are quick to respond and follow through issues to resolution. I recommended Lightspeed to two colleagues already and will continue to share my positive experiences with others.

Pros

*Ability to build system at any location
*Ease of use
*Well produced self help videos
*Ability to delete mistakes
*Helpful technical support team
*Integration with Cloudbeds

Cons

The end of day closing process is not as clear as it could be

Revel Systems

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

The switch was not within this company, but in my recommendation to use Lightspeed over Revel. Overall easier to build and train others to allow turnkey management of the system once built. I consult with businesses here to build their POS systems and recommend LS every time

Revel Systems

as above
Dominic

Lightspeed

Reviewed on 23/03/2023

Bug is casi absent. ist fast and simple. For all of my staff is quick and simple for all operations

Pros

Acces every wherre and the multi-chanel fonction!

Cons

Its realy hard to custom for specifict fonction.

Alice POS

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

The multi-chanel and all modul he have. the quality of the report.
Jennifer

TRACK YOUR PROFIT MARGINS!

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

I have a small health food store in Sullivan, MO. We have been online with Lightspeed POS for nearly a year now. The partnership with Pointy is much appreciated. Even without paying for additional online presence I believe the Pointy helps direct traffic to our business for sure! Also the Lightspeed system easily allows you to track profit margins and sales. This by far has been my favorite asset to the system. Of course it does rely on setting up your inventory accurate, which is a process but a process that is undoubtedly an INVESTMENT! I tracked sales over a couple of months and noticed a dip in profit margins and traced that back to companies raising wholesale but not increasing the MSRP. This hurts brick and mortar retailers. I was able to easily pull up these products from certain vendors in an isolated manner and go through where our retail prices were set and be sure we were setting it at a proper profit margin to keep the lights on! A month after doing this I noticed profits margins went from 35-37% to 38-40%. We offer 20% off our set prices just to keep up with online businesses, so we have to make sure the set retail will allow us a proper profit margin after the advertised discount. LOVE this feature! Customer service has been prompt to help anytime we have asked. They are adding and improving things all the time!

Pros

Being able to track profit margins and sales. Knowing what products to keep around and which ones to remove from inventory.

Cons

There are 2 different sales screens and each has their pros and cons…. but this is probably the most confusing thing in the system.

Square Point of Sale and Clover

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

The setup and Cloudbase of inventory. I can check sells, products, etc. from anywhere.
Jeanie

7 Years In with Lightspeed

Reviewed on 16/09/2019

LightSpeed has proved to be a positive addition to our business over and over again.

Pros

The system allows vision into your business clearly and quite simply. From the day to day sales to the back office reports, the system is easy to use. In ALL cases where something is not exactly as you envision it, the customer support team is there to help; they are PHENOMENAL and coming from retail, I do use those words quite carefully. We launched our business with Light Speed Onsite and have since upgraded to Retail. Each and every step of the way, the support team has helped with and gone and above and beyond getting me operating thru, from the simplest to the complex. We have no other point of reference of other POS providers, but many times other they are present at tradeshows. From a personal perspective, hearing the sales pitch (what we assume is the best of the best), LightSpeed provides services and abilities well above the others.

Cons

Unfortunately, price does come in to play. The cost, now knowing the system, is well worth it. However, there are other features that we feel should be included (as commonly seen elsewhere) that must be a "add-on" application from outside providers. Interpretation: add on = added costs. Being a small business, the cost of the POS system is significant enough, add on's are almost impossible to also incur.

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Services provided. Easiness of use. Clean appearance.
Jennifer
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Hands down the best retail software out there!

Reviewed on 23/01/2020

The LightSpeed team made our switchover to them and setup happen with such ease. Their system is cost friendly, reliable and aesthetically pleasing. Training new staff on the system is a breeze. The reporting options are so helpful for close out financials, ordering, staff hours, etc.

Pros

We most liked the back of house features it offered. The inventory piece, reporting and ease of use was instrumental in our decision to switch to LightSpeed. We loved the cloud based feature and it allows our staff to work from anywhere on reports, watch sales, reorder inventory, etc.

Cons

There really hasn't been anything about the software that we've found was difficult or wished was different.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

KeyStroke did not offer the support or the inventory features we were in need of.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Mainly because of the reporting and inventory features in addition the support team offered. I can’t speak highly enough about their customer service. It is unlike any support I’ve ever experienced. They not only have the incredible chat feature, but their personable phone support team works with you with such patience and understanding of your issue and walks you through the solution. Then the follow through is unparalleled!
Brian

Don't Do It

Reviewed on 06/04/2022

Overall it was an entirely negative experience. The system crashed more than it was fully functional. On top of that, when requested, no one would get back in touch with you within a reasonable amount of time. Tech support was virtually inaccessible because of the amount of time the system spent crashed. I can't even begin to count the number of times the system would crash and of course when that happens you can't do any sales. most customers won't leave information for later transactions to be processed so we would literally lose thousands of dollars on a regular basis due to not being able to use the POS. Don't bother trying to explain that to anyone in their offices because you won't get anything out of it. WORD OF WARNING TO ANYONE CONSIDERING THIS POS SYSTEM. PLEASE CONSIDER ANY AND ALL OPTIONS BEFOREHAND AND IF YOU DO DECIDE TO GO WITH LIGHTSPEED, PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ALL THE FINE PRINT.

Pros

Nothing, I really have no positive things to say about Lightspeed Retail.

Cons

Apart from the fact that it is cloud based which caused so many connectivity problems (constantly unable to even connect to make sales) it also apparently means that Lightspeed owns all of your data once you no longer have a good standing account with them. What I mean by that is that once you no longer have lightspeed service, you can no longer look at your sales data without paying a $50 a month per location fee to access sales info. If a report didn't completely transfer when trying to download a csv file of a report, to bad. You don't get access to it any more.

Cynthia

Disappointed in their business practices and how they stand behind what their employees sell...

Reviewed on 21/04/2023

I'm still disappointed and now looking for another POS system. I fear Lightspeed will come up with more charges as I go along this year. If my employee sold a customer a product at a certain price, I would at least honor that for 1 year. Especially since I had been using that product for 4 months. Changing POS systems is very stressful and any company that does not stand behind what they sell, well, can you trust them?

Pros

Accuracy is very important and when I run a report or look at inventory it is correct.

Cons

The sales person told me I would have reports and I did for about 4 months, I was then locked out of the reports and could not pay my suppliers. I had to pay more money per month based on their employees mistake. I went with Lightspeed based on the monthly price. It is not completely what I needed for my store but the price was within my budget. Now I have to pay hundreds more per year so I can run one report to pay my suppliers. Be warned they do not stand behind their employees promises.

KORONA POS and POS Nation for Retail

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

They told me they would import my inventory and have the description on the screen, they did the import a week later, and it did not include the tax, when they fixed that it duplicated all my inventory, weeks later they decided they could not fulfill the promises they made. I canceled my account and they still sent me a bill for the months after I canceled. I ask for RMA for hardware and they did not send. I paid for the shipping and then received 3 RMA labels. They still want me to pay for the software a month after their hardware left my store.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Price, which I was not given the correct information.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi,

We would like to sincerely apologize for your recent experience, and we are sorry to hear you were less than satisfied with the services received. It is our utmost priority to provide products and services that allow our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease.

If ever you would like to provide more feedback, please don't hesitate to reach our Customer Success Team via email at [email protected].

Lightspeed Commerce

Zach

Frequent Outages

Reviewed on 17/03/2020

Overall, the system provides all that we need. Problem is, we don't know if the system will be online when we need it.

Pros

The system ties together items, sales, customers, and sales staff seamlessly. This allows us to dig in and review product performances like never before. Using the matrix feature makes creating items with multiple sizes, colors, and fits easy.

Cons

The system crashes. These past few months have been especially stressful with our busy season approaching. The following list is made up of days in which we were not able to take payment from customers anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.
Monday March 16, 2020
Sunday Nov 3, 2019
Monday Sep 30, 2019
Thursday July 18, 2019
Saturday July 13, 2019

We've had an email in, with several followups, to our Lightspeed rep for the reassurance these outages will slow/stop. Unfortunately every email has gone unanswered for over a month now. This lack of communication is very frustrating. We're just waiting for an outage on a weekend during our busy season. Being we are locked into a contract we have no way out but are actively searching for an alternative as to not live in the fear of an outage at any moment.

Lightspeed Payments is another spot to touch on. All told, the switch to Lightspeed Payments would cost our company roughly an extra $7,000/year on top of our current processing costs with Vantiv.

Response from Lightspeed

Hello Zach,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to sincerely apologize for your recent experience, and we are sorry to hear you were less than satisfied with the product and service received. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease.We will have someone from our Customer Success Team reach out to you shortly.

Lightspeed POS

Ian
  • Industry: Restaurants

Lightspeed ROCKS!!!

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

AMAZING

AMAZING

Pros

We operate 4 Cannonball Cafés in Jamaica. This is our second year of using Lightspeed. When we bought the business in 2016, we installed another company's system which, after a few months use, revealed it's weakness for use in a multi-unit business.

We plodded along for awhile under the "Better to stay with the Devil you know..." philosophy until a sharp eyed customer got very upset because she noticed the price of one of our specialty coffees at one location was vastly different from another location... we had made a late night keystroke mistake entering the updated prices!

What caught our eye with Lightspeed was the powerful Back-of-House infrastructure that allows us to make REMOTE CHANGES to our menus, our controls etc IN AN INSTANT on our phones, tablets or computers: last year on a trip to China, we got a text from one of our managers requesting a menu addition - somewhere over the Pacific at 40,000 feet, my wife added the item and went back to sleep!!!! The level of detail that supports our business goes far beyond what we could imagine - while a lot of detail & thought has to go into setting up Lightspeed initially, that effort pays dividends when using the system.

Finally, the support we get from the Technical Support team is amazing - the Techs are all very well trained, are extremely knowledgeable and can resolve problems that are outside their Lightspeed purview: in September, a store was having a weird connectivity problem that was traced by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in Te

Cons

Have not found anything to dislike about it.

Ronald
  • Industry: Maritime

Have been using CDK for many years for Maintience & Repair set opp DMS system.

Reviewed on 08/03/2021

Over all, I have always liked to way the system has operated, The functions and the data inputting controls are easier than most other DMS systems that i have tried.

Pros

I have always like the way the system is produced from the Service personnel's prospective & The way CDK tries to customize the product for each of the specific user's or Locations.

Cons

I think this system could be improved by having the ability to communicate with & Be programed with available patches to adapt the system to communicate and share info with all other outside vendor's and the coinciding systems that they use.
Every company will have separate systems all that are needed for what type of Service it provides. - IE.
*( Scheduling a Boat's launch for Valet Service or for Spring launch of boats for pickups ect. )
*( A customer Text communications program for Receiving, Sending or Monitoring text conversations ect.)
Each will always require some type of outside applications like those for that specific company to operate and function more efficiently over what is offered in any DMS System. I believe this to be true for all software DMS company's on the market & this is including light speed EVO.
Is it impossible to Make an Automotive or Marine type DMS system that all Info could be shared across to and back from any of The other software system types that are used externally?
I believe that would be a great benefit for any and all company's that need a DMS Fixed operations type Repair or Maintience operating systems.

Brett
Brett
  • Industry: Automotive

Lightspeed doesn't put their customers first

Reviewed on 10/07/2017

Pros

Nice user interface. Good features for a shop that does service work. Cloud-based software makes it easy and convenient.

Cons

Our bike shop has been using Lightspeed for 5 years now, first with their Mac based software, and then with their cloud based software (Lightspeed Retail). There are many great things about the software, but on the whole I would not recommend a small business owner to hitch their cart to this company. There are significant bugs, inventory control is a disaster, but worst of all, fundamentally Lightspeed does not care about their customers. What Lightspeed cares about is their roadmap which in most cases doesn't deal with fundemental issues that their customers have been bringing up for years - if you have any doubt on this, look at their "ideas" page where top voted on features and requests have sat dormant for years.

My frustration has boiled over due to an issue with the way their inventory system works, and the way their customer service team has responded to my pleading that they at least give me an ETA on a fix. Here's the backstory: Lightspeed does a very peculiar thing which is that it will auto-add inventory if a product is sold but does not exist in inventory. Not only this, but Lightspeed will auto-check-in inventory off of POs if a product is sold. Now this in and of itself is a disaster as far as accountability is concerned: how is one supposed to track POs when product mysteriously gets checked in! But the worst part is that there is a bug in their system which will auto-check-in product off of POs if product is put into a work order. Doesn't matter if said product is sold or not, it will check-in the product regardless, causing a nightmare scenario where we are trying to figure out what POs have truly been received, and which POs Lightspeed has decided to receive automatically.

I brought this issue up for the first time around 6 months ago, and never got any solid response on a fix. I contacted support in April again. After a lot of back and forth about whether this was a real problem (like I love spending time contacting support) the support tech Derrick agreed that this was an issue. I asked for an ETA. No ETA was available.

I followed up a month later in May. Still no ETA, but Derrick assured me this was a priority, but also assured my significant problem that is causing myself and my staff time and frustration and vigilance and additional systems and workflows to remedy is "an extreme edge case scenario so I'm curious about how it could be causing you significant workflow issues."

So now we are in July. This supposedly "high priority" "extreme edge case" bug is still not fixed. No ETA. No communication. Since we started experiencing this issue Lightspeed has stuck an e-commerce link in the middle of the navigation bar and continued to work on integrating their e-commerece into every other cranny of the software, even if you don't use their e-commerce. They've added a new feature called Analytics which costs additional monthly fees. Their API is still slow and unsupported. Their App marketplace is effectively a Potemkin village of fake apps with no real syncing with the silo that is Lightspeed.

The promises of a cloud based POS are so great, but Lightspeed does not deliver. If you are looking to invest time and energy in a retail POS platform, I would strongly encourage you to look elsewhere. Lightspeed looks very slick on the surface, and it is quite good in many ways, but the underlying company culture does not put their customers first.

Rebekah

Lightspeed Retail review from retailer

Reviewed on 12/09/2016

Pros

We have used Lightspeed Retail for over 2 years now for our seasonal retail business as well as a small wholesale operations that includes manufacturing/production. While small scale compared with many POS users, we have unique and demanding needs and have struggled to find a good software interface. Lightspeed has been a solid performer and worked well for us.

We have a wide range of part time employees with various levels of tech savvy and expertise. Lightspeed is intuitive and user-friendly in basic procedure – checkout, returns, applying discounts, holding or suspending sales and adding customers. Lightspeed was on time with EMV-certified terminal support by the October 2015 deadline and has worked well with Cayan.

Adding products is straightforward. We only use the most basic features of purchase orders and inventory management – we do not rely on Lightspeed to generate orders based on stock but those look like useful features for larger operations.

Reporting is comprehensive and makes it easy to track sales and trends and reports are easily exported to Excel.

Customer service has been prompt and when there are long wait times, you have the option to leave your number and receive a return call. Follow through on issues has been good and while there have been challenges, problems are resolved in a timely manner.

For the products we produce, the “build” function works well to create the pieces from parts in inventory.

Cons

The main unresolved issue I have had with Lightspeed is that it rounds the cost of items to two decimal places. We deal in 100s of pieces that are fractions of a cent and therefore simply cannot track costs. All of these items show as have no cost which is extremely problematic and exponentially so when a piece is created from several “no cost” items. I was told almost two years ago that a fix had been requested by many customers and indeed it was listed several times in the “Lightspeed Ideas” but to my knowledge nothing has been done. If this could be fixed, Lightspeed would be an almost perfect POS solution for us!

Also it is spendy. But I guess you get what you pay for.

Carley
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Lightspeed is great on the front side, and a nightmare on the backside

Reviewed on 29/04/2017

-We switched to Lightspeed from ShopKeep because we needed to manage the inventory of our 5 locations in one place. That part works okay, once you figure out all the idiosyncrasies of the restock and reorder system. We had to hire a person just to manage the work-arounds we put in place to make Lightspeed a functional system for my business (because there are so many tedious extra steps).
-Feeling stuck is the worst feeling as a small business owner. Lightspeed make me feel stuck. I hit a new wall in the system regularly, and when I ask for what I need, the answer is ALWAYS "no, we can't do that." Some examples:

-The system does very little to tie sales and inventory together, it does next to nothing. You can export a sales report by item name, which is great. It tells you how many you sold, your sales numbers, and how many you have left. But the vendor information nor the department information for the sold items is not on the export. That makes the report useless in terms of knowing what vendors your business is coming from. Their answer is you can then export vendor sales separately. That is not helpful, because that export does not include item info or department info, nor does it tell you your on-hand inventory. There is not a single way in Lightspeed to view your sales and on-hand inventory in one place, and because their exported reports are so sparing of relevant information, I can't even create my own. This is a major flaw. With ShopKeep, at least I could get my data out of the system to manipulate it how I needed. With Lightspeed, I am SOL.

-I don't even call customer service anymore because 100% of the time all they do is validate the problem and then offer no solution. Their consistent response is to tell me to make a suggestion to their developers.

-I have been in business 10 years. We have 5 locations, and a website. I have 40 employees. I think Lightspeed would work for a single location or 2 location business. But any more than the system creates more work than it takes away. Looking back, I wish I would have stayed with Shopkeep.

Pros

The check-out system is nice and easy.
For multi-locations it is helpful to see sales and inventory in one place.

Cons

-there is no flexibility in the system. The way Lightspeed wants you to see and retrieve your data is the ONLY way you can get your data. And their way 90% of the time is not relevant to the basic needs of a retailer to analyze and evaluate their business.
-Customer Service is not responsive. The company does not seem willing to listen to complaints or provide work arounds to the rigidity of the system.
- The eCom site is FULL of problems that they do not have a handle on. There are many limitations with the way you have to present information on the site.
-It's very expensive for what you get. I was willing to pay a premium for a system I was told would exceed our needs and expectations. For the 2 things it does well, there are 98 headaches.
-They do not offer refunds or a way out of your contract if you are unhappy.

Clif
  • Industry: Restaurants
  • Used for 6-12 months

This company is all about sales and has no interest in fairness or retaining customers.

Reviewed on 29/06/2017

I run a tiny seasonal business for which this system was intended. If someone is unhappy with my service, refunding their money is not always my first approach, but if I know that I've fallen short on service, I absolutely look for a fair solution. I was fine with keeping the hardware originally sent to me and even paying for the time lapse on the software, but to say that all software sales are final when they are the one that set the contract lengths to being with is just shady and downright distasteful. It's not like they put money into developing software just for my company. In fact, any time I tried to get support to help tweak things, their support team seemed more annoyed than willing to help. Stay away from these guys.

Pros

I barely used this product. What sold me on it initially were the demos in being able to have a simple interface for my employees on both the retail and restaurant side and a much more detailed backend than square that supposedly integrates nicely with Quickbooks.

Cons

I was very specific about my operating needs. I am also very busy with small children and multiple businesses. The onboarding was described as very simple, and it was not. I needed three systems, and was told that was what I was paying for. They shot me an invoice which I did not read thoroughly enough. They put in fine print on the invoice that the invoice and payment is acceptance or their sales terms which you have to then go to their website to read. Once I asked for the hardware items that they did not send me, they also charged me for a bunch of extra software that were not part of the original sales discussion or even the second sales discussion. They never refunded me for two years of unused software when I decided that I was not interested in doing business with such a shady company. No class.

Response from Lightspeed

Hello Clif,

We would like to apologize for the service experience you had with Lightspeed. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease.

We appreciate the feedback you have given us on our sales and onboarding processes and will be taking it into account in the future to ensure a better experience for other Lightspeed customers.

In regards to amending your contract, we would again like to apologize for any confusion or miscommunication. We had hoped the offer we presented and discussed in detail would have allowed us to move forward in your relationship with Lightspeed.

Once again, we apologize for your experience and that the decision we reached was not the outcome you desired.

We appreciate your understanding,

Customer Success Team
Lightspeed

Al
  • Industry: Furniture

The negatives far outweigh the positives for this software

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

I could go on further about the cons of this POS system, but I ran out of available space in the "cons" field. Overall, the cons far outweigh the pros for this system in our application. On top of that, I was essentially coerced into switching from Lightspeed OnSite, which worked almost perfect for us, to LightSpeed Retail. I was told that after March 31st, I would no longer be able to use OnSite anymore. So I had to switch to something else, regardless, or so I was told. Well, little did I know that OnSite is still able to be used since we had originally purchased the perpetual license back in 2012. I'm trying to make Retail work for me, but it's highly likely that we either switch back to OnSite or to something else altogether.

Pros

It's very convenient that it's cloud based, allowing me to access my POS from anywhere. The payment processing is very quick. For commission based employees, it's nice to be able to assign employee credit to different line items on a single sale. The inventory matrix tool is very convenient when it comes to editing wholesale and retail pricing. That's about where the positives end for me in regards to this POS system.

Cons

*Individual customers can only have a single sale/layaway/special order at a time. I hope you don't deal with commercial accounts that send their orders to you using separate POs. There's no way to separate different orders from a customer. It all gets put on the same sale/layaway/special order.
*If I send a purchase order to a vendor for 10 items, but that vendor is only able to ship me 5 of those items immediately, and will ship the other 5 once available, I have to delete the 5 backordered items off of that PO in order for the "finished" PO to match the invoice sent by the vendor for the 5 items that did ship immediately. Once the PO is "finished" in retail, I'm unable to edit it or add the backordered items back to it. *So I need to make a completely new PO with those backordered items and reference the original PO in the notes so I can trace it when those backordered items do finally ship.
*There's no easy way to view all customer layaways/special orders and the information/notes within each one.
*The "Company Name" field of a customer account doesn't show up on the customer lists.
*Trying to print labels is a really goofy process.
*I'm unable to change the "ship to" address on purchase orders if I need a product shipped to different locations, example: drop shipping directly to customer.
*There's no way to print a customer packing slip for deliveries or shipments.
*Discounts are applied to total quantity cost of line items, instead of each item individually.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Al,

We would like to apologize for your recent experience with Lightspeed. We see that you are currently working with a member of our Customer Success Team who are best suited to get you the assistance you need.

We value our customers' feedback, and would be grateful to have the opportunity to address your needs and concerns.

Lightspeed POS

Dave

Fantastic Inventory Management

Reviewed on 22/06/2018

We've been open a little over three years. When we first opened, we explored over a dozen Point of Sale systems including Revel, Shopkeep, Vend, Lightspeed Retail, Square, and several others. We decided on Lightspeed, but discovered they didn't have a clear roadmap for Apple Pay, and so we went with our second choice, Shopkeep.

Shopkeep was fantastic for the first year, but as our inventory grew (we carry over 10,000 unique SKUs), it's inventory management features started to feel sluggish, and receiving orders each week started to take a significant amount of time. During our second year, we started reevaluating all the players again, and setup a trial account with Lightspeed Retail.

Certain things seemed counter intuitive at first - if we mistakenly created an item, we couldn't simply delete it, for example. This is because Lightspeed Retail strives to preserve all financial and transactional data; since an item could contain a sales history, it can't be deleted. Instead, it's archived, and can be restored to visibility with the click of a button. Over time, we've come to appreciate this feature, and the sheer amount of data that is provided through the system.

Inventory Counts can be done quickly - grab an iPad and a bar code scanner, and just start scanning items on your slat wall, shelf, or other display area. When you're done, you can review the counts, reconcile them, and get information on shrinkage, etc.

Acquiring product and receiving it is a breeze. We can build our POs in Lightspeed Retail - using trigger points or by simply adding items to an open PO. We can then email that PO directly to our distributor, who processes it. When the items come in, we can quickly receive them either using a barcode scanner, keying in the item counts line by line, or doing a visual confirmation and clicking the "receive everything and do the right thing" buttons. Printing labels with barcodes is a breeze.

What really sets Lightspeed apart is their service. I can honestly say that I have no idea how to setup the label printer on our Lightspeed system, because whenever we install a new laptop or desktop that needs access, I simply chat with Lightspeed support and they remote into our system and do the right thing. When we set our printer up the first time, the print was a little too far to the left for my liking. They tweaked the templates on the fly, with me offering help like "No, a little more to the right" until it was done. They're insanely helpful.

Pros

- Excellent Purchase Order Workflow
- Easy tool to do inventory counts quickly
- (Beta) Import Tool makes it easy to bulk load new items, or update existing ones
- Supports custom fields to add additional information to items (Release Dates, for example)
- Phone and online support is fantastic

Cons

- May seem pricey if you aren't leveraging all the features
- Limited barcode scanner compatibly
- Custom fields are not currently searchable

Jeremy
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Packed with features, with room to grow

Reviewed on 11/08/2015

Pros

Great reporting, easy to use simplicity. Constantly improving the software, interface, features, etc. It is superb for inventory management. Gift Cards are easy to use, re-use, re-charge, etc. Customer loyalty programs are being integrated, once more are integrated, this platform will be far above the competition.
This platform is great for starting small, or large. It has all the features you didn't know you would need. With constant feedback from customers like myself, they are constantly listening and improving the retail POS systems.
I know I list quite a few things I don't like, but the software's great qualities far exceed the negatives, which may be phased out sooner or later with updates.

Cons

Cloud based, when it has issues, you are stuck with just an iPad or Computer. Nothing can be done with the systems. No sales, no reports, nothing. The Technology division reports that they are working to improve infrastructure, so I hope that happens before the 2015 holiday season. They are a very popular POS system and are growing very fast.

Credit Card readers are subpar with Element Payments, but improving. Plus the EMV card readers are due in a couple of months. I've used both the headphone & lightning connector styles for the iPad. Each have positives and negatives. The headphone card reader wears out if you swipe alot, I swipe approx 25-50/day and its lasted about 8 months and is constant on reading cards. Lightning connector card reader isn't designed to be used while charging your iPad. So if you run 50+ transactions in a day on the iPad, you will need to remove the card reader to charge the iPad mid day, because charging the iPad through the card reader takes so long that the iPad uses power faster than its recharged, so removing the card reader to keep the iPad charged is a nuisance. Also the micro usb charging port on the Lightning Card reader looses its connection like all micro USB connectors typically do with wear. The iPad uses Wifi & Bluetooth all day for the internet and barcode reader, so it drains the power quickly. I may switch to the computer versions for holidays when we are busy and cant be recharging the iPad all the time.

When you create your account, be ready to be charged for each employee after you have more than 7 in the system. If you don't keep track of employee sales, times, etc using the system, then a single pin for each sale will work, but if you want to use all the employee tracking features for sales, time, you have to pay for each employee you add to the system after 7 I believe. I use 9-12 employees off and on, so I have to pay for each one for the full year after #7. The employee's should be included in the package price, up to 15, then have a price structure for the next 5, not each one. It becomes more expensive as you grow as a business and want to keep track of employee data.

It has no commissions structure. So if you want to give commissions, you have to do that manually with your reporting data.