Buffer

Darien
Darien
  • Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Used for 1+ year

One of the best social media management platforms with a high price for teams

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

Overall, Buffer is an excellent platform that offers incredible features - but due to the high price for simple features like team management & multiple users, it is not for me. While our social media team was just me, I found it to be the very best platform for social media management - offering a simple UI & high quality features for the free & low-tier accounts - as our team grew, we rapidly outgrew Buffer simply due to pricing, and found that there were similar products at a lower price point that would fit our needs.

Pros

Buffer is perhaps one of the simplest & easiest social media platforms on the market today; offering comprehensive and crucial features for managing your social media streams. This platform allows for the easy management of multiple social media accounts, allowing you to customize post-times & days, and then schedule posts quickly via the Queue only for those days. It offers built in analytics, direct posting to Instagram & Instagram stories, team management features & more - assuming you are willing to pay for those features.

Overall, Buffer was probably my favorite social media management platform due to its simplicity & base features, yet it suffers in a few key areas.

Cons

I loved using Buffer for the period of time that I actually used it, but quickly discovered that the platform could not suite my needs because of one insurmountable obstacle - price. As a non-profit youth organization, having a low overhead cost for platforms such as this is extremely important, and I quickly found myself unable to continue using Buffer as my social media team grew simply because I could not afford their $65 CAD/month just to be able to have a second user (without admin privileges). The added features like direct Instagram Story & first comment seem interesting for me, but not at the cost $663/annually when there are alternatives (be it, with less features) out there that offer a lower overhead cost AND non-profit discounts.

Furthermore, while the platform itself is extremely simple to use, I found their pricing structure & different brand building products to be quite confusing - with products such as "Reply", "Publish" and "Analyze" featuring little to no immediately accessible descriptions, and each one carrying a different pricing structure & subscription requirement.

Lastly, one feature I've found on other social media platforms (but not on buffer) that I wish were available is the ability to draft a single post that can be queued in multiple social media channels, and customized for each channel. With buffer, you would need to recreate each post - which can take added time dependent on your social media channels.

Thierry
  • Industry: Photography

A powerful tool for a very low price !

Reviewed on 25/09/2023

Very good experience in overall, and amazing list of options available already with a free, or lowest plan account.

Pros

I am really amazed about the amount of feature that are already enable in the lowest plan that Buffer is offering. It is probably the best option for someone who want to start to work with such features, with a low budget

Cons

I rarely had cases were a post was not posting automatically as it was planned. But the only couple of times that this happened in about 2 years, I had a message immediately to inform me about it, and I could post it manually in no time...

Tracy
  • Industry: Design

The first content scheduler I used

Reviewed on 22/08/2022

Buffer was a great tool to start learning how to plan and schedule content to social media ahead of time. Its very easy to use and even my not so tech savvy clients managed to use it and enjoy using it.

Pros

At the time f using Buffer – there weren’t many social media content schedulers on the market. Buffer was inexpensive and easy to use. It was easy to integrate Buffer with Facebook and Instagram and Twitter. The most impactful feature was how easy it was to use and that you could schedule multiple posts to go out automatically which is a huge time saver.

Cons

Buffer was extremely glitchy. There were periods of time that it would not post the content and you wouldn’t know unless you checked. Once this had happened a few times I started to not trust it anymore. As I publish a lot of content at once for multiple businesses it was no longer sustainable to keep checking if posts were going out or not.

Spriha

My Experience as a Digital Marketing Officer Using Buffer

Reviewed on 03/11/2023

My overall Buffer experience has been extremely positive and rewarding. Buffer has proven to be an invaluable tool in the daily tasks of our team, and it has been critical in maintaining a consistent brand image across our various social media platforms.

Pros

As a digital marketer, I've explored various social media tools, and Buffer stands out as a top choice for several reasons. What I liked best about Buffer was its comprehensive suite of features designed for effective social media management. It has become an essential component of my digital marketing toolkit, assisting me and my team in streamlining processes and implementing effective social media strategies for our B2C company.

Cons

My experience with Buffer has been extremely positive, but there is one area where I felt it could be improved. While Buffer's analytics provide valuable insights into post performance, the platform's analytics may lack some of the more advanced or in-depth features found in specialized analytics tools. Buffer's analytics may feel limited to marketers looking for highly detailed or granular data, such as myself.

Ray

The Buffer Review

Reviewed on 30/07/2023

Love the Buffer and still use it but it's over priced and they need to provide better analytics at the lower pricing levels

Pros

The easiest service of its kind that I have found to schedule and manage large numbers of profiles - I have been with them since the beginning

Cons

They went crazy with the pricing and increased it way too high

Reasons for Choosing Buffer

Initially I added Buffer and used both for several years. Eventually I let Hootsuite go because it was more difficult to manage.

Easier to use
Theresa
Theresa

Social Media posting with ease

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

What a blessing! A big time safer - especially for Instagram!!

What a blessing! A big time safer - especially for Instagram!!

Pros

I must say the number one thing I like about Buffer is scheduling posts to Instagram without having to trigger them on my phone! The beautiful posts appear on Instagram (and my other social media accounts) when scheduled - even if I'm busy doing something else. I also like the ability to RE-post things from years ago. Because of this, Buffer is a huge time saver for social media (and my sanity!!)

Cons

Re-posting isn't easy. and somewhat frowned upon - even though re-posts are from past years. And posting a video is a little cumbersome, but it still works!

Reasons for Switching to Buffer

Because of Buffer's ability to post to Instagram and their reasonable monthly price.
Crysti
Crysti

Great Social Media Scheduler, Needs UI Improvements

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

I am able to schedule our client's social media posts quickly, and add 'filler content', retweets and tweet responses to pre-determined queues. It keeps all of our client's social media active and also engaging.

Pros

What I love most about Buffer is that they're constantly improving. They find ways to update their software and are always seeking ways to be more compliant yet at the same time, cutting edge.

Cons

I really dislike the UI very much. As part of my job, I need to test different software suites to see what makes sense. We manage 50 different social media channels, and having them all populate at the same time when I'm getting ready to schedule a single post is visually cluttered. However, Buffer recently introduced the ability to create groups of networks, so that a group can be selected instead of having to scroll through them all.

Dennis
Dennis

Best bang for your buck

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

I am definitely a fan of buffer, and think they're the front runner in their price range for social media automation.

Pros

Buffer is extremely affordable, but in that the variety of options is limited. Buffer is extremely easy to use and as such I have had no problem teaching team members to use it in a matter of minutes. Being able to post directly in groups is a game changer.

Cons

When I first started using buffer the analytics side of the equation was included in all plans, now that it's separate it's harder to justify the price tag.

Reasons for Switching to Buffer

Hootsuite lacks innovation and feels complacent. Buffer seems to be growing with the times.
Melle
Melle

It's Really Expensive For What it Does

Reviewed on 14/11/2022

Buffer is great if you're just looking to toss out some content that isn't advanced. Text posts, simple images, reposts of content and so forth, you'll have no problem. If you're looking to post some more advanced content like reels and whatnot, this is not your software. That said, it's fantastic at what it does and it's super simple to use. Tech support is always pretty helpful and they offer a lot of free tips to your email about how to use the software (and social media). Fun extra is you can even post to shopify through it. As I mentioned in the cons section - the price point is high for what it does, but if that's all you need then it might not be a bad fit for you.Our overall experience with buffer was positive, it just wasn't as feature rich as we needed.

Pros

Straightforward posting, clean interface, straightforward to use. Good integration abilities (can be used with canva zapier, wordpress, and a ton of content sources). It also offers easy to access gifs and emojis for your posts and has a pretty decent free plan if you're just looking to do some basic posting.

Cons

It's pretty expensive for the features (or lack of features) that it offers. At $5-$10/channel/month, it's a lot more pricey than some of it's competitors. It also lacks features. There are no advanced post types, no bells or whistles (like best posting time or hashtag research). It also is a bit temperamental about the browser that you're using (which shouldn't really happen since it's been around for so long).

Ebonie
Ebonie
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Buffer is worth the money

Reviewed on 11/10/2023

Pros

I saved the company $500 by switching to Buffer. I enjoy the software for scheduled post and analytics.

Cons

The interface is pretty dull but simple.

Yasser
Yasser

End-to-End Social Media Management for Ultimate Growth

Reviewed on 15/05/2022

Buffer is our essential social media management tool for managing over 50+ profile and pages on different social networks like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn. We're a Digital Marketing agency and we've achieved a lot of success with our successful clients through Buffer, We fully depend on it for scheduling posts on each network and for generating reports and insights about our performance to enhance it by curating a better content in the future. It's very helpful and essential to all digital marketing agencies.

Pros

Buffer is our favorite platform for measuring and analyzing the performance of our content through the most in-depth insights across different social media channels for a better and deeper understanding about what's working with your audience and what's not, We like the audience demographics for letting us find out if we're reaching the right audience or not, also the boosted post insights to compare the results between organic posts and paid posts, and the best overall is the account analytics to track engagement metrics for every single account in every channel and compare their results in the end for maximizing our growth rate and improving the performance to the max.

Cons

They really need to involve more AI/ML technologies into Buffer for enhancing the tools like for creating a better content recommendation algorithm and also for the insights and reporting, AI would be very helpful in generating artificial intelligence reports based on goals we set as Google Analytics and such tools like it, We're in the age of AI and it's very essential now in every tech product.

Later

Reasons for Choosing Buffer

bad interface and worst analytics and reporting tools, Buffer was much better for real.

Buffer is the Best!!

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

As a single person managing the marketing across all fields for a company, including their traditional advertising, website maintenance and content, with HR on the side, buffer has enabled me to keep up with the social media without a worry. I can take a day out every few weeks and put a plan into action which will run in the background while I am consumed by other tasks. It is a real life saver.

Pros

I love using this product, after trying to get along with other platforms which enable you to pre program posts across different social media platforms this is by far the best on I have found! It is extremely user friendly, you can clearly look at your monthly schedule on a separate window to see what you have planned it. The reminders for posts which have not successfully posted (e.g. multiple images to instagram) are a brilliant help! And Buffer is constantly being updated and improved.

Cons

Not being able to post multiple images to instagram. Sometimes images take a long time to buffer and stick on '99% finishing up' and you have to delete the post/ reopen the page to try again.

Reasons for Switching to Buffer

Buffer was much easier to use, had clearer areas and I clicked with it right away
Bhushan
  • Industry: Chemicals

Best tool for social media posts management

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Overall, Buffer is an effective tool for managing social media content and enhancing productivity.Manage multiple channels with a single account login.

Pros

easy to use UI/Ux, can add many accounts at one place and publish content esialy

Cons

this tool is good for basic and small companies, but on big scall not that much effective

Workplace from Meta and Hootsuite

Cost effective

Meta for Business and Hootsuite

Reasons for Switching to Buffer

Easy to use, calendar, scheduling posts, cancel and edit contents
Kris

A big name that is always solid and reliable

Reviewed on 20/03/2023

Overall, I've always been very happy to use Buffer. Many clients insist on using it because they're used to it and they love the analytics and metric reporting that the platform offers. When I first started working on social media, I opted for Buffer because it was the biggest name out there. However, I soon migrated to other less pricey platforms. However, some clients insist on Buffer and it isn't a problem for me because I have always found it to be reliable.

Pros

Buffer is generally easy to use and offers users a wide variety of options. There is so much support for different social media channels. Buffer always integration with not only the main channels that are popular all over. It also some of the alternative social media platforms.

Cons

Buffer - presumably because of its name and reputation in the field - charges more than many other social media management platforms out there. There are plenty of other options that are just as reliable, but less well-known. However, in paying for Buffer, you're paying for peace of mind. Another con would be that the content management can be a little difficult to organise.

Reasons for Switching to Buffer

At the time, I chose Buffer because of its reputation for being reliable.
Stephen

Great product

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Pros

My team uses Buffer every day for posting and scheduling social media posts, we love it!

Cons

Ideally there would be less limits to the free accounts, but can respect their need to push users to the paid options. Even the free account is a great solution.

Reasons for Choosing Buffer

Hootsuite was not quite as intuitive as Buffer.

Reasons for Switching to Buffer

Buffer was more intuitive.
  • Industry: Events Services

Buffer - A Good Tool for Social

Reviewed on 01/12/2020

Overall it does what we need it to do. It's a good tool, not fantastic, but I have yet to find one that is... so all in all I think Buffer does a great job for the price of the software. I do like how all analytics are in one place and how you can have multiple users and editors working on your social copy. It has definitely made social media management easier.

Pros

I do like the ease of use and functionality. It has a clean interface and you can select from a couple of different plan options, including one for posting and analyzing your social media accounts.

Cons

There are limitations. I wish I could go in and schedule weeks or even months worth of content, but I can't because Buffer does not allow you to post carousel photos on Instagram or LinkedIn. We often share more than one photo on our posts so I have to go and manually do that for those networks when we have more than one photo. I hope that functionality will integrate soon because it is a huge downfall of the platform. However, all other platforms are facing this issue, it's not unique to Buffer.

Sprout Social, Lever and Hootsuite

Cost and functionality.

HubSpot Marketing Hub

Reasons for Switching to Buffer

Overall functionality and cost.
Noah
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Buffer | Is it any good?

Reviewed on 20/06/2022

Buffer has been a positive experience for me. I've used it for multiple years, and I used the free version for over half of that time. I was pleasantly surprised by how many posts I could schedule, and how many I could schedule across platforms. This kept be for a while, but I would eventually cancel my subscription and leave Buffer when Facebook for Business (which allows access to Instagram and Facebook post scheduling) and Tweetdeck (for Twitter) allowed me to make posts across the same three platforms I had initially used Buffer for. Sure, Buffer allowed you to use them all at once from a singular 3rd party. In fact, I believe that's Buffer's appeal compared to FfB or Tweetdeck, but it is not quite as appetizing for me.

This software, however, is still cheap if you're looking to spend some money ($6 a month for the starting tier), and it would allow you to easily streamline your posts into one place.

Pros

Buffer is an easy-to-use content publishing software which allows brands to schedule posts ahead of time, and to schedule posts from multiple accounts (and platforms). This is extremely useful, because you can schedule a post for Facebook to release at the same time as Instagram, and you don't have to go to either website to do it. Buffer streamlines social media posts into one complete software.

I first learned about buffer nearly 5 years ago at an event. It was recommended to me by my supervisor, and I proceeded to use it to schedule promotional materials with releases of my podcast episodes. I used it for multiple years, and liked what it had to offer:

The subscription tiers were cheaper than I expected, with the first starting at $6 a month.

You were able to schedule up to 10 posts with 3 accounts (for the free tier) which I used for multiple years. I scheduled Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter posts 10 days in advance, and then would take a break from content production for about a week before I scheduled it again. This helped me from getting burnt out on using social media every day.

The posts were easy to create, and I could schedule the same posts on different platforms at different times. I could also add photos and videos if need (for stuff like Instagram). This made it easier for me to target each separate audience on each platform and cater to the times they were more statistically likely to see my post. It genuinely helped me grow my audience.

Cons

There was a bug that, on occasion, if you saved your posts to be scheduled then the page would refresh and the post would be gone. This happened rarely, but did happen on occasion. As I've used-browser based services (Express had this issue, for example), I've found that this is a relatively common problem when a page refreshes or your internet is interrupted.

I would've stayed with Buffer to this day, but Facebook for Business and Tweetdeck allowed me to schedule more posts across the same three platforms for free. Ultimately, their competition won me over by offering the same stuff I was doing, and a little extra (more posts, better statistics, access to advertisements, and more). This caused me to eventually turn away from Buffer. I hope that, every time I see an email, there's an update to bring me back. That email has yet to be sent.

Abigail
Abigail
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Simple and easy social media manager

Reviewed on 11/11/2016

I'm a huge fan of Buffer (And Hootsuite), Buffer was the first social media manager I've ever used. It was easy to use and the UI was great. I use the free plan which came with 7 days (I think) to use the Pinterest feature free.

I wish the free plan wasn't restricted to 10 posts per profile but I can understand the reason.

There was also an image quality loss when I used buffer on my Kindle fire tablet, but their support was quick to help and while Buffer isn't natively functional on Fire, it was god to know that the customer care did all that they could to help.

Buffer analytics is kind of lame, maybe it's because I'm on the free plan but I laughed when I clicked on analytics and the metrics were: Retweets, Likes, Mention, Comments, Shares, Potential' Instagram Analytics gives better stats than that

One area where Buffer trumps Hootsuite is that it the free plan supports 5 social media profiles (Once again you can only use Pinterest for 7 days free but meh). I like the fact that I can set up my preferred schedule times and then when I 'Add to Queue' the posts go out at the specified time. It's like MavSocial's 'Campaign' feature.

I also liked being able to Rebuffer my old posts. It kept my social media profile continually active. I mostly use Buffer connected to getcrate.co to keep my social media profiles active.

Pros

Buffer integrates nicely with softwares such as start a fire, feedly and Crate. Which are all softwares i use. This makes it easy for me to share content to my followers. It is easy to use and the freeplan supports 5 social medis networks.

Cons

The image quality loss I experienced when i used Buffer on my fire tablet. Granted Buffer on my android tablet is perfect but I wished it worked just as well as Hootsuite did.

Taryn

Time saving tool... mostly.

Reviewed on 19/09/2022

Overall, Buffer is useful depending on what social media platforms you use. If you're not uploading a ton of content, you can use the free version! However, I did recently move away from Buffer to use Canva's social media scheduling feature and I prefer it.

Pros

I've been using Buffer for a few years now. It's been a time saving little tool for our non-profit and my personal business. I appreciate the scheduling feature coordinated with many platforms for uploading. It's been a go-to tool for a long time until we started using Canva's social media instant upload and scheduling.

Cons

I've navigated around the limitations of the free plan the whole time I've used this platform. You can only have 10 posts in the queue if you're not paying. Annoying, but understandable. What my biggest hang up is with Buffer is the Instagram uploads. It's frustrating to have to download a different size and reupload new sizes for each platform. Plus, you can't upload videos or carousels. So I don't use Buffer for Instagram uploads. If you need to edit a post, you have to go back into each platform section individually to edit even though you created them together.

Cassandra
Cassandra
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Very easy to use platform that allows you to spend your valuable time elsewhere!

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

I love buffer! It truly helps small business owners, brand managers, and social media professionals to keep everything organized and in one place.

Pros

Let's me schedule posts ahead of time so I don't have to worry about getting on my phone or settings alarms at certain times
I can schedule posts for multiple accounts across multiple platforms
Interface is easy to use and has different types of views so you can pick which you prefer
Has a system that helps you to find content without having to go all over the internet

Cons

Sometimes scheduling posts during specific times on the drag and drop interface wouldn't work and it would move my posts all over. I don't suggest using this view for scheduling posts - just choose one of the others!

Joseph
  • Industry: Computer Games

An effective way to keep your social media consistent.

Reviewed on 16/09/2018

I've used Buffer to handle all of my major social media updates; whenever I have an important piece of news that I want to bring to my followers, regardless of where they engage with my content, Buffer is the obvious choice.

I can't even imagine how many cumulative hours I've saved using Buffer to schedule one post where I would have otherwise needed to schedule 3 or more separate updates, all with the same information. Because of that, I'd argue it's almost essential for anyone that needs to update multiple accounts frequently.

Pros

Buffer does exactly what it claims to do - allow you to more easily manage your social media accounts and spend less time updating them individually. It's a simple premise for a service, but one that's very useful and helps save a ton of time. Buffer not only makes this painless, but gives you a ton of scheduling features and options on top of that.

Cons

The pricing on Buffer premium is pretty high. I can see it being worth the investment for bigger social media presences, but for low to mid-tier personalities, small business, or just individual users, I don't see a need to spend so much on Buffer when the basic features would do just fine.

Also, if you're scheduling a post for multiple services at once and include Twitter, you will be subject to Twitter's character limit. Similar restrictions also apply for other services. While understandable, I still wish there was some kind of solution for this.

Response from Buffer

Hi, Joseph, thank you for the kind review of Buffer and feedback on our pricing. As for scheduling a post to multiple services, you can now customize the message for each service individually. Hope that'll make things better. Please feel free to reach out if you are experiencing any issues. Thanks. -Alfred

Mukul
Mukul

The tool to make your social media posting hassle-free!

Reviewed on 28/02/2019

Pros

1. I have been using buffer since years now and me being traveling many times and busy with work schedule, it becomes tedious and a headache task to maintain all my social media posting, buffer makes my work easy when i can schedule my weeklong social plan easily in one day.
2. Buffer app is too good but their team is more awesome, whenever i get stuck somewhere there's almost quick support from these guys.
3. Once getting used to, very convenient and pretty quick to use app.

Cons

1. Recurrent "Unknown Error" issues where posts are not scheduled properly which becomes a hastle in itself.
2. Tagging is nearly imppossible which i think is crucial element in our today's social media posting.
3. Posting to instagram is limited to once per day.

Response from Buffer

Hi, Mukul, thank you for your review and feedback.

1. I'm so sorry about inconvenience caused by the "Unknown Error" issues. If they are still occurring, may I trouble you to reach out to our support team? Keen to resolve them for you.

2. I agree with you that tagging is crucial in today's social media posting. It's possible to @-mention on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram now, and I believe we are keen to expand on that when the social media platforms allow. Thanks for your patience.

3. To post more than once per day to Instagram, would you be up for adjusting your posting schedule? Here's a quick guide for that: https://faq.buffer.com/article/281-publish-posting-schedule

Thanks for your help, Mukul.

-Alfred

A Cost Effective Option for Startups and Early Growth - Not the Long Term Answer

Reviewed on 29/06/2018

Pros

Buffer is very similar to many social media suite products in that you can easily post to several accounts at the same time. Linking the individual accounts to your main Buffer account is pretty straightforward (and you may become accustomed to the action of re-connecting the accounts often). The internet browser plug-in allows you to easily post everything from images and articles to entire web pages directly to your social media accounts. Much easier than copy-and-pasting urls and links into a suite platform in order to mention/comment/etc.

Cons

As noted above, I've struggled with my accounts staying linked/synced to the main business account. Additionally, the interface on the software can be difficult to navigate at times, and it's difficult to find help areas/assistance as to where you should be looking to find additional functionality. Scheduling posts in advance can also be problematic if you're utilizing some of the API connections that are automatically generating content for your social media account as you typically end up with a lot of stock content filling your social media accounts.

Response from Buffer

Hi, there, thank you for the honest and helpful feedback! If you are up for sharing more, I would love to hear your suggestions on how we can make Buffer easier to navigate and use. Also, I'm sorry for the connection issues; we're keen to minimize that.

Fadiah
Fadiah
  • Industry: Banking

Good application for social media management

Reviewed on 03/09/2021

Pros

At our company, we have a social media strategy. We pick specific periods for posting on social media platforms like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Insta to maximize engagement. Buffer assists us in systematically implementing this technique. All of our postings can be prepared within one day and posted separately on different days and hours.

Cons

There isn't anything about Buffer that I don't enjoy. To make social media planning simple and customized, Buffer was created, which is why I use it now. With particular design and functionality flaws, this platform has considerably increased my efficiency and productivity in my profession.

Chelsea

High charge for little functionality

Reviewed on 06/09/2018

Generally speaking, Buffer is a great tool but there are too many insidious ways for things to go wrong on the platform. If you have a hand full of clients Buffer could be a good fit, but if you are a digital agency I would not reccomend Buffer.

Pros

My team uses Buffer to manage social accounts for over 100 clients. The biggest advantage of Buffer is the extension you can download for your browser, making it very easy to schedule content for clients as you are browsing the web.

Cons

As mentioned before, we manage social accounts for over 100 clients. The way Buffer is set up makes it extremely easy to schedule posts on incorrect client pages. It's also difficult to see which accounts are selected, and when a new social account is connected, Buffer automatically selects the page for ALL social posts that are scheduled. Additionally, any time a new administrator is assigned to the account all of the connections to the social media pages crash and have to be replaced one by one.

Response from Buffer

Hi, Chelsea, I really appreciate your honest review of Buffer. I agree with you that there's more we can do to improve the experience of managing that many social media accounts. Thank you for giving Buffer a go and sharing this feedback with us.