Assembla

Guy
Guy

Simple, Intuitive, and Collaborative

Reviewed on 08/11/2016

An incredible tool for our software development. Simple to use and a great collaborative tool. I highly recommend this as a great PM tool.

Pros

Simple to use and a great collaborative tool for our global employees.

Cons

Nothing

Response from IDERA

Hi Guy,

Thank you for your review! We're glad Assembla was able to help you with your team.

We'd love to send you a shirt! Email [email protected] with your address and size and we'll send one over.

Roberto

Great collaboration tool

Good.

Good.

Pros

It's very easy to create repositories and start to work with your colleagues.

Cons

I had no difficulties. I met assembla in 2012 and have recommended it to others. Collaborative work has made it much easier for me. I only have one problem but it isn't specifically related to Assembla, but with Tortoise Subversion. On files that weight around or more than 25 mb or for a large set of assets, it's very common to fail (more than 90% of times). I have to upload separetely all the files and directories. I know it isn't assembla issue, but maybe you can tweek something or have a conversation with Tortoise SVN support to find the reason. This always happens, since I started to use the tool. Related to this issue, is that if you fail with tortoise, they dont have an automatic try upload or to save the assets it could done from all the bunch, because you have to try again and again and again, unselecting some of them until you have a success upload. This take time and its frustrating. Maybe you can recommend to fix this or to let us know about how to solve or how to use another tool whitout having inconveniences when exporting or migrating. Thanks.

GitHub and Bitbucket

Reasons for Switching to Assembla

It's my first option always.

This is just a horrible experience

Reviewed on 19/01/2022

Way too many bugs and missing features. It is like a counterfeit of successful products - it looks like there's everything you need, but you have to bend your workflow to make it work. If you are used to quality, you won't find it here. The customer support is quick to respond via chat, but reported issues take weeks to fix and if it is something critical for you, you are just out of luck! It looks like this product does not innovate and if yes, it's in the most basic/cosmetic way.

Pros

Well it does the job, somehow. The integration of all tools under one roof is a good idea.

Cons

Merge requests are useless, since you don't have proper code highlighting. Also, cross-referencing tickets from code is not working well. The ticket management is very poor. The cardwall is difficult to filter and navigate through. User management is sometimes buggy (you invite user and it sends invitation to wrong address, etc.). External tool integration is limited and does not work very well. Exporting data from Assembla is mostly impossible, so you are locked in until you are really fed up with it :).

Patrick

Pricey but excellent and fantastic support

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

As the end customer, creating work tickets tracking bugs, features in conjunction with my remote development team.
They really have streamlined the interface and implemented features that users such as myself require.

There are many features of this product that we don't even use (resource tracking, burn downs, Standups) so maybe I shouldn't complain about the price. :)

Pros

- Ease of creating tickets, by pasting in/ uploading documents quickly.
- Custom fields which can be searched on, filtered by - this is fantastic in itself as this is a difficult to implement properly, and it works perfectly.
- Comment tracking to other team members, and ability to mark read, or even restore them.
- Custom views (saved queries) saved for yourself - fantastic
- Cardwall gives great overview
- Export to CSV if required
- Ability to open tickets either into new browser tab (full URL) or open up as modal dialog - both methods are required depending on scenario.

Cons

Probably the price - for our team of 8 our monthly cost is around $US280 - so it's a chunk of money.

Jamie

Assembla Review

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

Excellent software. Useful for collaboration on software development with larger groups of developers.

Pros

SVN management, access control, versioning, allowing team members to commit code to certain projects and collaborate on projects easily. Used to use the ticketing system but replaced that aspect of the functionality with Asana.

Cons

Website can be a bit annoying sometimes when wanting to see "commits" page and clicking back it doesn't load the commits page again and you have to click SVN, commits, every time.

GitHub
Parth
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Software administration that is straightforward and focused

Reviewed on 08/02/2023

Pros

Assembla enables our team to coordinate and execute while maintaining complete visibility of what everyone is doing. Collaboration is undoubtedly a key component. The interface is simple to use and useful for project management. What I appreciate best about it is how simple it is to use, allowing anyone to import or export projects to the repositories. I truly like having a ticket area where I can submit issues to my coworkers. SecureGit, which offers strict security criteria, is included in Assembla.

Cons

I wish organisations were more strong, and search in particular is underwhelming. At times, user registration has proved problematic. Sometimes the invitations are not received, and it is difficult to resend them. Except for the most astute user, planning releases, running reports on estimates vs. actual time spent, and comparing that across several projects is nearly impossible.

William
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Good value and reliable service

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Overall, we like the service as the pros far outweigh the few cons.

Overall, we like the service as the pros far outweigh the few cons.

Pros

You get all the necessary core features (task tracking, source control) in a very reliable service (downtime negligible in >5 years) for a good price.

Cons

Main issue is that their support is lacking. In particular, there is no good way to report an issue other than email, which then isn't being tracked and you'll never even know if they are working on it.

One issue that's been annoying us every day: their web pages constantly show an error on bottom right saying "We got disconnected. We'll try to reconnect, or you may reload page". They have yet to fix this after many years despite us complaining about it. Would be much happier if they just suppressed/disabled this message since it's completely useless.

Matthew
  • Industry: Semiconductors

Rally

Pretty good.

Pretty good.

Pros

Performance is great. ---------------------------

Cons

Web Navigation could have some tips and tricks.

June

Useful Tool but can be fustrating

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

keeping track of tickets when we have a number of teams with some floating individuals.

Pros

It works well to keep track to issues as well as our code

Cons

It is clunky. Slow to load in paces, would like to be able to keep one ticket open if I need to work on a second ticket at the same time, the filters do not always work. It is not intuitive, have to go hunting for features

randy

Assembla

Reviewed on 05/02/2021

Pros

Task management is our favorite feature. Some users utilize Cardwall and other project tracking tools. But primarily task assignment and tracking.

Cons

We always need better ways to document processes. The Wiki provided does not sufficiently serve that purpose. Perhaps it is the limited formatting for complex heirarchical work. Not sure. Other team members use Confluence and claim it to work better for documentation.

Joe
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Used to be great, then they got greedy

Reviewed on 02/08/2021

I used to be a passionate fan. But they turned greedy and evil, so now I am left with nothing but bitterness.

Pros

Assembla is the best project management system I've ever used (and I've used quite a few). Everything integrates so nicely: svn, tickets, wiki, etc. Easy to use and provides everything I need, without getting in my way or wasting my time.

Cons

They got greedy a couple years ago and raised their rates to exorbitant levels. I have been forced to look elsewhere for my PM needs.

Aaron

Overall Awesome Product

Reviewed on 08/11/2016

We use Assembla for all our source control needs for multiple projects
The markdown syntax for the...

We use Assembla for all our source control needs for multiple projects
The markdown syntax for the WIKI is super useful
Love the File storage interface
Overall this its a well thought of product with good support and really good up time.

Pros

Good SVN Support for Source Code
Clean Interface
WIKI
File Storage
Up Time

Cons

Not faced any recently, so NONE!

Response from IDERA

Hi Aaron,

Roxanna
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Organized year round

Reviewed on 18/11/2016

I was new to Assembla and learned how to use the program very quickly and easily. I love the use of related child and parent tickets to break down tasks to make them more manageable to keep things organized. I often use the basic coding functions to make text bold or underlined or make lists so users can read the tickets easily. Assembla really helps my team stay organized and assigned projects and tasks.

Pros

VERY easy to use and learn. Child/Parents tickets are great.

Cons

I wish there was a desktop notification when there is an update to a ticket I follow. this would help more than email notifications for me.

Response from IDERA

Hi Roxanna,

Priyanka
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Assembla - A powerful code management tool

Reviewed on 15/06/2017

Code & Document management, version control. Ease of access .
Maintenance of code

Code & Document management, version control. Ease of access .
Maintenance of code

Pros

We've used Assembla for managing our code and document repository.
The advantage of it being integrated with SVN and GIT makes it really easy to manage our repo.
The ability of an a repository to integrate with other tools is an added advantage.
Secure and cost effective.

Cons

Would like to see a tool primarily to support repository operations on IOS, that's one piece which is required.

Response from IDERA

Hi Priyanka,

Thank you for your review! We're glad Assembla helped you managed your code and document repositories.

Igor
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Used to be a good project management tool, not anymore.

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Project management and source control.

Project management and source control.

Pros

It used to be a convenient SCRUM/Kanban - style project management tool with seamless SVN integration.

Cons

This year they raised the prices more than 10 times while the system itself not only didn't get any better but actually became so glitchy and unreliable, we can hardly use it anymore. Moving on to another platform.

Matthew

Good Software Development Platform missing a few features

Reviewed on 19/06/2023

Assembla is an easy to use and powerful tool, and a good choice for software dev teams. We used it successfully for a number of years, but as company size increased it felt like the capabilities of the software were not able to keep up. Would have no problems recommending this for a smaller team.

Pros

Excellent integration between Git and the Project Management tools

Cons

Hard to configure for an environment where many projects exist across multiple clients

Heather

Easy to use for a business user

Reviewed on 15/05/2017

Pros

I am not a technical person, but I am easily able to log issues and track them through to completion with our technical team.

Cons

I initially struggled with how to add custom fields and add to the dropdown values, but I was able to figure that out after spending some time looking.

Response from IDERA

Hi Heather,

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Assembla makes it easy

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

Pros

Easy to track progress of assigned work, I was able to track work, provide comments in the tracking tool instead of using email.

Cons

There is a cost for each user, which limited the number the roles that were provided access to this tool

Alex
  • Industry: Computer Games

Some issues to begin with but now a solid choice

Reviewed on 30/09/2022

We were initially assigned the wrong port when setting up our perforce server. Support took over 12 hours to rectify it. Maybe it's because we were on the free trial but still you need to make sure people trying the product are well looked after so they stay

Pros

It just works. Have had no down time that I'm aware of. Integration was simple

Cons

Simplicity. very little configuration required. Uptime and stability appears to be very good

GitHub

Reasons for Switching to Assembla

Ashok

Review from QA Perspective

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

Very Good Experience

Very Good Experience

Pros

->Issue Tracking
->Filters
->Custom Fields
->Activity Stream

Cons

Integration to other Software, assembla not providing us the export file in the required formats

Good tool for very small teams

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Pros

Rich features
Easy learning curve

Cons

The pricing is too aggressive. It's great for start, but if your team is getting larger, the raise in price is too big.

Alena
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Not bad, not good

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

Pros

I am QA and I like:
- file attachment in the tickets;
- possibility to update an existed ticket;

Cons

- I don't like the design of UI: non-changeable columns size, font, colors.
- It's not possible to create testcases and test runs.

Govinda

Best Software in all terms.

Reviewed on 19/11/2022

Task management and scheduling is the best feature that helps in my work to grow daily.

Pros

All features like Task management, Integrated development environment, Task Schedule are the best in assemble and it makes daily work more comfortable doing.

Cons

No cons to this software. Everything is best.

Anuradha
  • Used for 2+ years

Great all in one tool!

Reviewed on 25/03/2021

I loved the tool, and sort of accepted it's ways of doing things

I loved the tool, and sort of accepted it's ways of doing things

Pros

tickets, wiki, codebase management everything under one platform and ease of integration with other platforms like slack and outlook etc

Cons

ticket hierarchy visibility, managing EPICS- STORIES and TASKS is very complecated as there is so clear segregation directly available.

Markku
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Well working platform as an issue tracker

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

Quite ok, gets the job done.

Quite ok, gets the job done.

Pros

Using mainly for reporting tickets. Pretty ok interface for that purpose. Automatic notifications about ticket updated in browser tab's is pretty cool and handy feature.

Cons

, however search results provides too much low quality hits - result filtering could be better. Drag and drop support for images and attachments would be nice, pasting clipped screenshots even better.